RubyMine

Learning about RubyMine?

RubyMine Reviews

Ask RubyMine a Question
Showing 73 RubyMine reviews
RubyMine review by jose luis M.
jose luis M.

"RubyMine es fantástico pero un poco lento"

What do you like best?

Lo mejor que me gusta es la optimización de código que RubyMine realiza en el código. Viniendo de un fondo no rubio, no estoy acostumbrado al estilo Rubí de codificación. Especialmente el uso de cláusulas como a menos que, si las condiciones.

What do you dislike?

Rubymine no parece tan potente como otros IDE de Jetbrain como PyCharm o IntelliJ. Algunas de las áreas en las que puede haber mejoras son saltar de una parte del código a otras utilizando un atajo de teclado. Después de cierto punto, Rubymine no es capaz de realizar optimizaciones en el código porque es demasiado largo.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Si estás comenzando con Ruby, te sugiero que te alejes de RubyMine por un tiempo y hagas las cosas manualmente.

Lo uso para completar mis tareas universitarias. Me ahorró mucho tiempo al depurar, ya que Rubymine tiene un potente depurador que me permite ir línea por línea y ver el valor de cada variable.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about RubyMine

"RubyMine Review"

What do you like best?

The best thing I like it the code optimization that RubyMine performs on the code. Coming from a non-ruby background, I am not use to Ruby style of coding. Especially the use of clauses like unless, if conditions.

What do you dislike?

Rubymine does not seem as powerful as other Jetbrain IDE's like PyCharm or IntelliJ. Some of the areas where there can be improvements are jumping from one part of the code to other parts using a keyboard shortcut. After a certain point, Rubymine is not able to perform optimizations on code because it is too long.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are beginning with Ruby I would suggest stay away from RubyMine for a while and do things manually.

I use it for completing my university assignments. It saved me a lot of time while debugging as the Rubymine has a powerful debugger allowing me to go line by line and looking at the value of every variable.

What Integrated Development Environment (IDE) solution do you use?

RubyMine review by Gustavo B.
Gustavo B.

"one of the best IDE out there"

What do you like best?

If you don't want to be meddling with vim settings and you just want to star coding with support for code completion and class navigation there's nothing better than RubyMine.

You can go straight to a class or method definition from wherever you are seeing it being used to help you understand it.

Now with support for rubocop your code style can improve a lot.

In general one of the best IDE you can get for ruby or ruby on rails.

What do you dislike?

The only problem you will find is, memory consumption, is a java application and a hungry one, it will try to index your project every now and them and if your current set up doesn't have the ideal ram and disk you may feel the pain, specially on start up

RubyMine is ideal for large code bases or legacy projects as it will help you navigate to obscure classes/methods with ease

"Good, but still slow.."

What do you like best?

I love the syntax highlighting in Ruby, the ability to click into symbols, variables, controller definitions etc and the version control features are also very good.

What do you dislike?

Rubymine is extremely slow.. Even after optimizing folder structure, excluding certain directories and allowing a large amount of memory I still get keyboard input lag and slow load times. Some things work in a surprising fashion as well - such as clicking on a block or highlighted piece of code will move that code? Overall, my biggest complaint is definitely the performance. This is such a large hinderance that I'm currently searching for another editor (visual studio code?) with better performance, the same syntax highlighting (I may just write it myself) and similar "click into" functionality...

So far I've been able to switch from Atom to RubyMine and experience a bit of an uptick in productivity. I attribute this mostly to the fact that the entirety of my team is using the program and is available to answer any questions I may have. If my team wasn't using RubyMine and I went in blind by myself I'm willing to bet my experience would be much worse.

RubyMine review by Bryan M.
Bryan M.

"Best Editor for Ruby on Rails"

What do you like best?

I like editors that are fast and lightweight, and was hesitant about ever trying a more full blown IDE when I was so comfortable with editors like Sublime Text. RubyMine somehow convinced me and now I am converted. I've been using RubyMine for 2 years now and the speed it has combined with all of the power and options when you want it (and clutter free when you don't) make RubyMine my perfect editor.

What do you dislike?

Because of everything going on behind the scenes, RubyMine can be a be a bit slow to start if many projects have to open at once with many tabs. This is probably something I could fix, by not keeping so many things open, but it would be nice to see an improvement on startup time and CPU usage.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try even if you are hesitant about using a full blown IDE. It can feel fast and lightweight while still giving you some nice extra features. The extra features that aren't needed by everyone also have a nice way of being accessible, but not causing clutter.

Faster and more powerful for building RoR webapps than any editor I have used. Built in version control make it extremely fast to commit changes and view history.

RubyMine review by Antonio M.
Antonio M.

"One of the best IDE for coding in Ruby"

What do you like best?

As well as other Intellij programs I really love the way that they keep the same visual assets as well as the same functionalities.

They do it really well with the Go to definition and the find usages options. I use it almost everyday.

What do you dislike?

Well... I dont really like the size of the IDE, it's really heavy and if you're using a Macbook with only 120gb of space, you can't really be wasting space, so I have RubyMine on a separate external hard disk, no big deal at the end of the day but it's a bit annoying to go with the macbook and also the hard drive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

RubyMine is a must in your daily programs if you're a Ruby programmer. It makes things a lot easier than other programs like NetBeans or Eclipse.

It helps me a lot with the Git control module and the documentation that auto implements to your code, making it a bit more easy to coding on Ruby (Which is really difficult) .

RubyMine review by Sergii S.
Sergii S.

"good stable IDE"

What do you like best?

I can do editing in the code while looking on previous results, also I can read the code with my eyes while waiting for results to finish. I caught several improvement places while just looking on the split screen while waiting :)

What do you dislike?

sometimes it takes too much time ti give any meaningful response and you are clueless what is going on.

Recommendations to others considering the product

give it a try and show to junior developers, they will love it

RubyMine is good for proof of concept (at least I used it in this way). I didn't have a chance to create production grade project yet.

Other team used different approaches to ruby development and I heard that after trying so many tools they finally end up purchasing license for RubyMine as it's easy to integrate with versioning system and there is very few issues in the team collaboration flows.

I like that many people already use this IDE and you can easily find help on the industry specific forums or just on the stack over flow.

Glad to see developers of the product taking time releasing new versions often in the response to customer feedback and early bug reports.

I think product can be used in many situation and feet different needs of the typical software company or organization with significant software presence in their business model.

Each team is different, so I can only share opinions that I observed in our company and not sure if there are serious problems on really huge projects.

RubyMine review by Rachel F.
Rachel F.

"Have been using for 6 years"

What do you like best?

For ruby automation frameworks this is my favorite IDE. It is super easy to configure where you can check in code via the Rubymine VCS menu or console. Love the package installs available too

What do you dislike?

I have been using it for 6 years not just a professional license but I even have purchased a personal license because I do not dislike it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great tool, check out the Plugins

QA automation. I can use many gems, packages and integrate to use various functionality. I can work on projects that are written in JS as well as Python.

RubyMine review by John M.
John M.

"Best way to manage and debug ruby/rails code"

What do you like best?

The RubyMine team has done a tremendous job of keeping up with the ever changing toolset involved in complex Ruby and Rails projects, and they continue to make coding easier. I've played around with other editors, and one nice thing about Ruby is you don't usually need things to be too fancy, but hands down the best feature of Rubymine for me is the debugging process. I can quickly dig into a problem in my codebase, a new client's codebase, or in a 3rd party gem, and figure out what is really going on at runtime. It saves me so much time, and helps me understand a complex codebase faster.

What do you dislike?

In previous versions I would run into memory problems, particularly when running rspec tests, but that seems to have gone away (either because I have a better machine, or the latest Rubymine or both!)

The way the pricing works I sort of feel like I just paid for it, and then I have to pay again, or there is a deal that comes out right after I buy it, and I feel like I overpaid.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out and see if it works well for you. If you have an underpowered machine, or a huge codebase, you might run into issues.

Quickly understanding a codebase, debugging a complex problem, improving the documentation and cleaning up the code so that other team mates can get up to speed quickly.

RubyMine review by Magus F.
Magus F.

"Un fantástico IDE para tus proyectos de Ruby on Rails"

What do you like best?

Lo que más me gusta de este programa son las opciones de configuración flexible, así como cambiar a la declaración de métodos y variables. Soporta GIT y es muy flexible al ejecutar las pruebas, también proporciona asistencia de código, opciones de refactorización seguras y soporte para JS.

What do you dislike?

Suele usar mucha memoria RAM y a veces es un poco lento. Puede llegar a ser un poco confuso si no estás familiarizado con este programa.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Es un buen programa que está bien de precio y te puede ayudar mucho, sobre todo si tienes proyectos de Ruby on Rails. Además puedes probar su prueba gratuita de 30 días para probarlo.

He usado RubyMine como un IDE para Ruby on Rails y me ha servido de ayuda para agilizar el desarrollo de mis aplicaciones.

RubyMine review by Ben B.
Ben B.

"Great product for Ruby/JS/CSS/HTML"

What do you like best?

I love the keyboard shortcuts, the debugger, the code navigation, the intellisense! I also really like being able to set up different Run/Debug configurations so that I can run pretty much any scenario I would like via a quick keyboard shortcut.

What do you dislike?

I find the default visual themes to be a bit lacking, and I haven't been able to find any custom themes that make the editor look quite as nice as Sublime or Atom. The editor can also be a resource hog on slower machines and you'll find you might need to restart it once in a while to keep things moving smoothly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the time to set things up properly, it'll pay dividends. Also, don't be turned off by the keyboard shortcuts that don't quite map to Sublime or Atom... In time you'll end up preferring them.

I'm writing code day in and day out and a fully equipped IDE like RubyMine really makes me more productive. There's just so much more it offers on top of a text editor like Atom or Sublime. The debugging features alone probably make me twice as productive as I was when I just used a text editor.

RubyMine review by Chirag S.
Chirag S.

"Awesome product. Great productivity IDE."

What do you like best?

Everything. IDE has full fledged support for ruby and ruby on rails projects. Database inspector, terminal access, debugger, VCS integrations. Everything is just awesome about this product.

What do you dislike?

Need more themes. Although there is an option to create you own themes and color combinations, but it is not that intuitive and requires a lot of effort. Would be helpful if there are more inbuilt themes packaged with the product. Apart from that, the database inspector could use some love and needs improvement in terms of GUI.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product. Its money well invested. Once you get used to it, there's no turning back. Although I am a ruby on rails developer, I use it for Javascript as well. It is that good. Database inspector, terminal access, debugger, VCS integrations, syntax highlighting, linter support. It has everything an IDE needs and probably more.

I am a Ruby on Rails developer with work related to web development. The product is great to manage everything from one place, plus it has nifty keyboard shortcuts to manage everything without touching your mouse/touchpad

RubyMine review by Nuri H.
Nuri H.

"Supercharge your Ruby development"

What do you like best?

RubyMine is full featured, right out of the box, but never gets in your way. The most powerful features I love are the built-in debugger and the interface for dealing with merge conflicts in git. RubyMine's capability to jump to usage or jump to definition is extremely handy as well. Being able to use the built-in test runners right out of the box (rspec and cucumber) is absolutely great, too.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that sometimes RubyMine gets laggy due to its resource-intensive nature. I think that's my only con in the years I have used it. Sometimes I need to close it and let my computer free up RAM.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely check out their trial version, there's enough time allowed to see if you really jive with the software. If you end up purchasing, I would absolutely spend time to learn all the ins and outs of the product, and customizing configurations such as hotkeys, shortcuts and interface.

I was solving for developer productivity -- I promptly succeeded, and then some. When I use RubyMine, my productivity skyrockets. Debugging complex issues becomes a cakewalk when using the interactive debugger.

RubyMine review by Mihail B.
Mihail B.

"The single IDE for ruby"

What do you like best?

A lot of functional, beautiful interface. Supports a variety of plug-ins for all purposes. Color themes, git interface terminal, comfortable code navigation, easy access to gem sources and more you will get out of the box. Frequent updates of the IDE, and plug-ins. A minimum of bugs and crashes, all is stable, like clockwork.

What do you dislike?

Pretty large appetite for the PC, in some cases it may boot the system by 100%. Long run for the first time and initiates a project for a while. Not clear settings, you need to spend some time, to find the right option. Major updates need to download and re-installed that a little convenient. Do not forget to import settings from a previous version of the IDE.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Nothing. All is simple as never.

Thanks to him, you will never get lost in the projects with a lot of code, all calls will be apparent. Will be accustomed you to "beautiful code" and all the good practices of the world Ruby. Highlight all unused variables, methods. Otherwise, say where the code will be interrupted. As there is a debugger that will help you understand what is happening around.

RubyMine review by Mikhail B.
Mikhail B.

"Easiest way to get into ruby infrastructure"

What do you like best?

It is possible to get into other gem sources in 1-click, pretty editor with autocomplete, good interface and easy get into hot buttons. It is good tool, which combine pretty git blame history, i forget when I needed to use sourcetree last tile. With Rubymine is really easy gem developing.

What do you dislike?

High memory usage, some built-in automatic , which may confuse sometimes, like automated links changing.

Ugly on height resolution monitors (4k). Currently, I do not know how to get list of all errors in the file (may me the is a checker, but I could not find it). Today db connection from rubymine is useless, but I can not turn it off. When I increase left-menu bar font size (where is files tree), file extensions are crop. Rubymine have good style guide check from baatsov, but why you can not inject automatic rubocop file fix up according `rubocop.yml` if it is commited to the project (Of cause Guard may help, but, I think, this functionality will be good addition for Rubymine). In Lunux Ubuntu (lubuntu interface) i have conflict with defaults ctrl+alt+arrow, it will be perfect if it will be default doubled with other combination. Also, i think will be good practice to make autoconfig for git to exclude .idea folders from commits.

Recommendations to others considering the product

At all, it is really the top of the editors

Nowdays I support 3 rails apps, which are height-level config generators for CDN-network

RubyMine review by Miriam M.
Miriam M.

"Lots of features, but heavy on resources"

What do you like best?

I think RubyMine is a great tool if you want to be able to do all of your work in one place. You can code, add in breakpoints, debug, execute tests, etc all from one place. If you want to centralize your workflow, RubyMine is a great option.

What do you dislike?

I tend not to use most of the features in the IDE. I like to write my code in it, but I usually end up using the terminal on my Mac anyway; and for debugging, I just use pry from the command line. Good tools available, but when you don't really use them, you end up with something very heavy on resources without much added benefit.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do you need such a comprehensive feature set? Then this is a great tool. If you value your resources over convenience, maybe not.

One thing that has been helpful with RubyMine is giving everyone, even those who are new to dev work, the ability to efficiently code and debug. If this is your first rodeo, there are so many great features for running tests with one click, stepping through code, and so on.

RubyMine review by Alex K.
Alex K.

"Best Ruby IDE"

What do you like best?

Fully integrated Ruby IDE: with code completion, smart code analysis, refactoring, code navigation, test runner, debugger, great Git client, great database client. It's just so much faster to develop Ruby/Rails projects than anything else. Very healthy plugins system. If you like to use Vim - you can use Vim inside of RubyMine, just install a plugin.

What do you dislike?

It tends to use a lot of CPU and memory, which is only a problem if I'm trying to work off my battery. Working plugged in - I barely feel it.

IdeaVim plugin isn't ideal: some Vim features don't work, dialogs cannot be closed with ESC key. All minor - so not a big deal.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I understand that Vim or Sublime a "cool", but they are simple text editors. Save yourself some time by switching to RubyMine: productive is way cooler than just "cool".

It simply saves a TON of time: debugger alone is worth it - when compared to console debugger.

RubyMine review by Karl C.
Karl C.

"Best Ruby IDE out there"

What do you like best?

I love the UI of this software. It's fast and also elegant at the same time. There are many, many, MANY different options to configure the UI and layout to your liking for maximum readability. I also like that RubyMine is smart enough to automatically sense when you're opening a Git project, or an RVM/rbenv directory and applies the needed settings.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that Rubymine, and the reset of Jetbrains software has moved to the subscription-based licensing model...but I guess that is just the trend nowadays. I also dislike the amount of resources that this IDE consumes. Yes, it looks nice and works GREAT but it will eat your CPU cycles (and your battery) like no tomorrow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Everyone has their own personal preferences when it comes to IDE, but if you're considering a new one then DEFINITELY give Rubymine a try. It gives numerous options for adjusting the UI to the user's liking, has a plethora of built-in features for better understanding and re-factoring code, and the IDE itself is fairly smart when it comes to opening/importing projects from version control (Git).

Using RubyMine, I'm able to better collaborate with other teams by importing their projects and using looking up said team's methods within seconds. This has shaved tons of "ramp up" time off of joining new projects.

RubyMine review by Wei D.
Wei D.

"If you code in Ruby, use this IDE!"

What do you like best?

This IDE makes coding in Ruby easy and intuitive. The auto completion is a great feature, as well as the click to track. Find usages is another great tool. The GitHub integration is also quite useful, with in line annotation, as well as commit comparison. RubyMine also makes running tests easy, and navigating through multiple projects a breeze.

What do you dislike?

The IDE is heavy, no doubt. At times it can be slow if you have a high uptime, or just have a slow computer. Depending on how big your project is, it may be slow as well. Getting RM set up could be a hassle too, I did have a few hiccups trying to get my environment variables all settled in.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you use Ruby on Rails, use RM!

When coding a large Rails app that has many sub-apps even, a tool like RM is necessary to maintain a fast and efficient workflow. It has made my life a lot easier, that's for sure.

RubyMine review by User in Internet

"Great IDE for Ruby developers"

What do you like best?

It makes navigating the codebase extremely easy.

What do you dislike?

It can feel laggy when it is running multiple tests in the background via linters It can feel laggy when it is running multiple tests in the background via lintersIt can feel laggy when it is running multiple tests in the background via lintersRubyMine's ability to let you click into deeper view files is really efficient when developing in big applications. The vast array of developer options to utilize in preferences is also a great addition. RubyMine's ability to let you click into deeper view files is really efficient when developing in big applications. The vast array of developer options to utilize in preferences is also a great addition. RubyMine's ability to let you click into deeper view files is really efficient when developing in big applications. The vast array of developer options to utilize in preferences is also a great addition. RubyMine's ability to let you click into deeper view files is really efficient when developing in big applications. The vast array of developer options to utilize in preferences is also a great addition. RubyMine's ability to let you click into deeper view files is really efficient when developing in big applications. The vast array of developer options to utilize in preferences is also a great addition.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Spend some time really familiarizing yourself with the tools and additional plugins RubyMine offers you - it will increase your productivity ten fold and will become second nature.

I can work a lot faster with RubyMine to source files It can feel laggy when it is running multiple tests in the background via lintersIt can feel laggy when it is running multiple tests in the background via lintersIt can feel laggy when it is running multiple tests in the background via lintersRubyMine's ability to let you click into deeper view files is really efficient when developing in big applications. The vast array of developer options to utilize in preferences is also a great addition. RubyMine's ability to let you click into deeper view files is really efficient when developing in big applications. The vast array of developer options to utilize in preferences is also a great addition. RubyMine's ability to let you click into deeper view files is really efficient when developing in big applications. The vast array of developer options to utilize in preferences is also a great addition. RubyMine's ability to let you click into deeper view files is really efficient when developing in big applications. The vast array of developer options to utilize in preferences is also a great addition. RubyMine's ability to let you click into deeper view files is really efficient when developing in big applications. The vast array of developer options to utilize in preferences is also a great addition. RubyMine's ability to let you click into deeper view files is really efficient when developing in big applications. The vast array of developer options to utilize in preferences is also a great addition. RubyMine's ability to let you click into deeper view files is really efficient when developing in big applications. The vast array of developer options to utilize in preferences is also a great addition. RubyMine's ability to let you click into deeper view files is really efficient when developing in big applications. The vast array of developer options to utilize in preferences is also a great addition.

RubyMine review by Mona R.
Mona R.

"RubyMine - the popular IDE"

What do you like best?

The RubyMine Git Annotate command makes it really easy to see who was the last person on your team to write or change that function. When you’re working on a large team project, there are often times when you’re not sure why somebody wrote a function the way they did or why the function is even there!

What do you dislike?

There are problems with RubyMine not paying attention to the remapping when using keyboard shortcuts. I've been told that this is because of a shortcoming in Java, but that might be wrong.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Some devs like something "ready to use out of the box". Some devs like to have they're own setup and fiddle around and have that raw power that something like Vim and Emacs gives you. So i guess you're just working or you've only encounter the later type of devs.

I build scalable high-volume applications for a digital-health monitoring company. If you’re on a spec file, simply click and RubyMine will run the tests from that spec file right in RubyMine. You can then easily look at the red tests and click on the problem lines right inside RubyMine, without having to look at the terminal and figure it out. One goal of testing is to make the RED => GREEN => REFACTOR cycle as efficient as possible, and RubyMine definitely speeds up the process.

RubyMine review by Miah Raihan Mahmud A.
Miah Raihan Mahmud A.

"A heavyweight IDE, however best IDE for Ruby developers"

What do you like best?

I like RubyMine instead of other IDEs, because it easily picks up the RVM and rbenv ruby versions without additional configuration and hassles. It also provides bad ruby/rails code detection according to ruby/rails best practices and provides quick-fix options to fix bad codes. It also easily picks up version control systems configurations without additional configuration (e.g GIT). It also supports JavaScript, CoffeeScript, ERB and HAML, CSS, Sass and Less, and more. I like its Rails-aware refactoring feature which performs project-wide changes: for example renaming a controller will also rename helper, views and tests.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes i dislike It, because of its heavyweight and memory consuming. If you have memory less than 4 GB, RubyMine file indexing will be slower and sometimes it is annoying because It will stuck until indexing is finished. For these dislikes I gave RubyMine 9 ratings out of 10

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a decent pc with 8GB RAM than I will recommend you to use RubyMine as your first IDE for Ruby/Rails development.

I am developing web applications in my professional life using Ruby/Rails, NodeJS, JavaScript etc. For Ruby/Rails I always use RubyMIne because of its quick setup and configuration. RubyMine saves my development time by providing intelligent code completions. Furthermore its Rails-aware refactoring feature saves lots of time during code refactoring instead of going to each files manually.

RubyMine review by User in Computer Software

"Easy to use Ruby Interface"

What do you like best?

I like how simple and effective it is to use. I am currently learning how to program in Ruby and this has helped me be able to pick up the language pretty quickly. I also really like how the coding hints really help point in the right direction of what I need to change with my code. This has been extremely helpful in learning the basics.

What do you dislike?

I think the thing I dislike the most is if you are trying to switch between tabs you have to double click to switch over instead of single click. I keep getting tripped up by this.

I am using RubyMine to learn how to program in Ruby for web automation testing. This tool has helped me be able to program automation in selenium pretty quickly

RubyMine review by User in Internet

"Great IDE for Rails Development"

What do you like best?

Great tool for traversing your codebase. The shortcuts are great as well as the ability to give more productivity to a junior developer in a shorter amount of time. You can connect your database and build your queries locally which is helpful for testing one offs. Setting up your config file is easy to make sure that your code is easy which allows everyone on the team to be on the same page.

What do you dislike?

The newest version has become laggy and can bog your machine up a bit. Not sure why with the current iteration.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think that it is worth the yearly investment.

Productive professional and hobby web development. Rubymine really allows me to be productive.

RubyMine review by William S.
William S.

"Seriously, why use anything else?"

What do you like best?

Rubymine does everything you could ever need and more. Amazingly functional auto-complete, great generators, excellent linting support, addons, great layout. Everything is, in my experience, just about perfect. Doesn't eat up your system resources either!

What do you dislike?

I thought long and hard about this and honestly cannot think of a single thing that I genuinely dislike.

Integrating the menagerie of tools that one might use to develop a Ruby app into one is a godsend.

RubyMine review by Sam B.
Sam B.

"Didn't become a fan"

What do you like best?

I usually like Jetbrain's editor and hence found most of the features similar to that in most other Jetbrain's editors. These common features were good but I didn't find any Ruby specific features to be good.

What do you dislike?

The auto-correct was not that good as other editors. Also, cmd+click usually takes me to the declaration or usage of a variable but in Ruby-mine things didn't use to happen normally. Most of the cmd+clicks just failed I have no idea why.

Used it for editing a website which was already built in Rails. I would use it if that website was already in Ruby. Hated this language and editor both

RubyMine review by Hari G.
Hari G.

"Most powerful Ruby IDE on the market."

What do you like best?

It's the heaviest, most feature-complete editor for Ruby available. Out of the box. Period. Quick project navigation, incredible refactoring tools, incredible testing support, native support for Ruby-related tech, etc. Nothing else comes close.

I've been a paying customer for over four years now, and I've use it pretty much every working day.since I started with Ruby. It's been a blast.

What do you dislike?

it's a Java app, and requires a pretty beefy system to run it well, especially if you're working with a large codebase. I work on a top-tier Macbook Pro, and it never feels fast. Sometimes, it even gets dead slow, and it can get frustrating. Indexing always takes a lot of time, and even simple things like navigating to another file by searching (double-shift shortcut) can be painfully non-responsive, taking whole seconds to find the queried file. In contrast, an editor like ATOM is lightning-fast, and it's difficult to recommend Rubymine because the performance / speed situation is hard to ignore, when you're paying a hefty sum of money to use the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out. The refactoring tools are absolutely magical. My jaw dropped to the floor the first time I saw it in action - Juggling methods and classes around like it was nothing. However, note that you need a good system to let it breathe, and some patience when it inevitably slows down every now and then.

On the whole, it saves time. A lot of it, that would otherwise be spent switching contexts to do related tasks. Want to boot up the development Rails server? One key combo plus enter. Want to checkout the contents of the database? Use the inbuilt GUI. Want to see the history of the file you're working on, and who's to blame for that awfully fat method? Use built-in Git annotate feature. Want to run your tests? Another key combo, pops up a built-in test runner and code navigator. It's got everything.

RubyMine review by Vikhyat G.
Vikhyat G.

"One of the best IDEs"

What do you like best?

Almost everything! The refactoring is good. Love the dracula theme. Finding a file or a text is super easy. Good integration with the VCS.

What do you dislike?

It crashes sometimes. Multiple cursor selection adds an additional cursor on the first line which gets a bit annoying.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do not think before getting this product!

Developing a RoR web app. Used rubymine to reformat the complete application. Using rubymine's VCS rather than the shell.

RubyMine review by User in Internet

"Extremely helpful for keeping track of large projects"

What do you like best?

There are so many shortcuts and tools to boost productivity when using RubyMine, especially when dealing with massive projects that would otherwise be a pain to keep mentally organized. There are a ton of powerful refactoring tools, an extremely robust search, and a whole host of configurations so you don't have to think about any minutia you'll never really change anyways.

What do you dislike?

Every so often, an update will either change some configuration or make some shortcuts not work anymore. Definitely check the changelog before updating.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Learn the keyboard shortcuts!

If you really get to know the shortcuts and generators it provides, it can really speed up how quickly you code.

RubyMine review by Nazar H.
Nazar H.

"Rubymine : Feel Awesome in Heaven"

What do you like best?

1. Debugger

2. Code Navigation

3. Cleanlines of the Interface

4. Project Structure

5. Refactoring

What do you dislike?

1. Heavy use of memory

2. Default Fonts

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ever wonder a partner to help you in Ruby on Rails development. Just choose Ruby Mine and be amazed. It will help you out at every single step where you need it.

Better to stay within Ruby mind and use the terminal also database also tests and a lot other bundled all together.

Rapid Software Development I need and RubyMine assists me in it very well.

RubyMine review by User in Internet

"Using RubyMine IDE to write ruby code"

What do you like best?

I love the UI. It is very easy to use. It is very well integrated with other plugins like git. It also has a terminal which is easy to use. Lot of different themes. Custom themes can also be added.

What do you dislike?

The shortcuts are hard to learn in the beginning and the shortcuts are not the same as other Intellij products.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is definitely one of the best Ruby IDEs out there. There is a steep learning curve. But once we are used to the UI and the shortcuts, it is definitely very easy to use. But the IDE shortcuts are not consistent with other Intellij IDEs. It is very fast and it has lot of plugins to read other programming languages code also.

Creating ruby projects. Integrating with maven so we can build the projects. Create ruby modules.

RubyMine review by Esteban O.
Esteban O.

"Sublime text on steroids = RubyMine"

What do you like best?

The internal debugger helps us catch bugs easier than ever. Code completion and project navigation helps us move through the source files in a fast and efficient way.

What do you dislike?

It can be CPU and memory intensive sometimes. This can lead to a slow experience. Sometimes with a restart of RubyMine it works just fine.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your project has hundred of files and complex code, Rubymine can help you a lot and simplify your daily work 2X.

It helps us code faster, refactor the code in a much easier way and test . The biggest benefit we perceive by using it is how fast we can navigate hundreds of source code files and take advantage of the builtin debugger.

RubyMine review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Computer Software
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Computer Software

"Like RubyMine because of usebility. A lot of common sence in Editor. "

What do you like best?

most of all I like the flexible setup options, as well as switching to the declaration of methods and variables. I know that for free tools you can spend hours to do what they want and you also spend a lot of hours to understand how they work and how you can improve them. With RubyMine someone else spends the time to thing about those things.

What do you dislike?

RubyMine native debbuger is really slow, and I have to use terminal. The code completion is very aggressive and often guesses wrong.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend it to everybody using Ruby

Web Automation. A lot of Ruby on Rails and Ruby developers use RubyMine. It's a very good IDE that has a lot of useful functionality.

RubyMine review by Alkesh G.
Alkesh G.

"Best Ruby IDE"

What do you like best?

Considering Ruby as a scripting language it has the best support for navigation, ruby syntax checking and support.

Also git and svn support and plus deployment through ruby mine.

Flexibility of running test cases auto suggest.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it hangs, but rarely happens. It is actually really great of ruby beginners.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Foe beginners it is really a must IDE. Exploring it in deep will really help you understand how it functions and benefits of using it frequently.

It is fast, easy and developer friendly to code. Using RubyMine makes coding quiet easily and have a great UI to work on

RubyMine review by User in Financial Services

"Good tool for Ruby Developers/Engineers"

What do you like best?

I have used the IDE for about 2 years and I think it is a great tool. It gives code assistance, smart for debugging, safe refactoring options, support for JS. You can also try it for free in order to check it out. It works great with source control systems such as GIT and you do not need to learn anything about git. you can also use the console from rubymine which works great. If you want to refactor more files, you can preview it as well which all files are going to be changed.

What do you dislike?

I do not enjoy the themes on ruby mine. It is heavyweight and needs good RAM capacity in order to work well. They also need to build out some more themes to make it more interesting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do use the 30 days trial version. It is a great tool for the new web developer who has not yet used any tool before. Spend time in using the shortcuts it is very helpful.

I like the use of shortcuts and makes things faster. I think it works great if anyone needs an IDE for the Web development and want to expand their horizons. Debugging is very easy and it has helped me to debug my unit tests as it was a cakewalk.

RubyMine review by Mateusz B.
Mateusz B.

"Very good and heavy IDE"

What do you like best?

Intellisense when you type function, UI panels which can you love using your mouse, lots of plugins and mamy editor features such as find and replace, find definition and file indexing. User can also mark folders using incons and using builtin git plugin push and view repo changes. I can also run it on linux, mac os and Windows.

What do you dislike?

Its written in Java so its slow and uses huge amount of memory. License not allow me for commercial use when i use free version

License doesnt allow me to commercial use

RubyMine review by User in Computer Software

"The best Ruby IDE out there"

What do you like best?

Similar feel to IntelliJ and other JetBrains products. Great set of shortcuts to improve productivity and navigate through code

What do you dislike?

It doesn't work extremely well with resolving references in code, specially when there are multiple implementations of an interface. It often resolves incorrect references with rspec let blocks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is the best Ruby IDE out there. Other options are using editors like Sublime or Vim, which are great but I wouldnt consider as IDEs.

Be productive in developing and navigating a large ruby codebase. It is reasonably quick, allows us to seamlessly switch between other JetBrain's products (eg. Gogland)

RubyMine review by Jonathan G.
Jonathan G.

"Great tool for Ruby development"

What do you like best?

Ruby mine has the best code completion and navigation system on the market

What do you dislike?

is Writed on java so some times the loading times and the memory consuption could be a problem

Recommendations to others considering the product

The IDE may be a quite expensive but the subscription model works really well

Primary, when just enter to a new project or yo're on a big one, RubyMine helps you to navigate refactor an understand better your code, instead of loosing time guessing where is what

RubyMine review by User in Computer Software

"RubyMine is an awesome IDE. I am using it for all my ruby and JavaScript projects."

What do you like best?

The best part of RubyMine are the refactor options. If you ever find yourself renaming a method you definitely don't want to look for each usage. RubyMine looks for all usages of that one renamed method within the entire project and offers you to replace it. If you're unsure RubyMine can take you step by step through all the files where your method is used.

What do you dislike?

So far there are no dislikes except the speed of booting RubyMine up. If its booted up you're good to go. What I noticed is that if there are any bugs in a RubyMine version, the developers are fast with rolling out a patch to fix bugs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're using a light weight code editor at the moment, you should try RubyMine for a while and you will start to love it.

RubyMine saves you and your company a lot of time by making you very intelligent suggestions as showing you all the usages of a method that you are renaming. Furthermore there are tons of features included (Database management, UML diagrams). All in all you have one place with everything in that you need.

"Pretty awesome except..."

What do you like best?

I love that it's an IDE and the ability to CMD+click to look at method definitions is by far the most useful feature. I also like that it pinpoints the file you're looking at in the project directory as well as can shelve changes you're working on and create patches for you.

What do you dislike?

Even since it asked me to update, it's been crashing on my a lot. Haven't gotten the approval to get the new subscription based model, so I'm still on v. 8.0.4. A couple times I've had it lose my shelved data only for it to reappear weeks later...

High speed data transfer web application

RubyMine review by Siddhartha D.
Siddhartha D.

"Very helpful editor for ruby development"

What do you like best?

I like this editor because i can easily use the rbenv ruby versions without additional configuration and simple to use.

What do you dislike?

Its very slow and shortcuts are not really helpful

web development for ecommerce and multilingual websites plus large code base this editor is very helpful

RubyMine review by User

"Great features, sometimes a bit slow"

What do you like best?

I love the wide range of features and tools available to assist in digging into the code and optimizing workflow.

What do you dislike?

When working on multiple projects it can be a bit slow and the sheer amount of shortcuts and options can be daunting to learn when first starting with the product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend finding a tutorial or video online that walks through some of the many features and shortcuts available in RubyMine in order to get the most out of it.

I am solving my need for a fully functional IDE. I've definitely discovered more useful shortcuts and features that have helped increase my efficiency.

RubyMine review by Mohammad A.
Mohammad A.

"Best ruby IDE, some features could use a little improvement"

What do you like best?

*The IDE understands well the relation between the files, you can easily jump between views and actions with a single click ( or a shortcut ).

*Finding the usages of a certain method, especially when you are planning to refactor a method name or something like that, the IDE gives you a whole list where a certain method was used or called.

* Fuzzy finding, either by file name or by method name.

* Nice integration withe Rspec, with the ability to watch and auto test when ever you change any piece of code.

* Plugins, most of the stuff you can think of has a plugin, some of the plugins I've used are the IdeaVim for vim mapping, editor config support, markdown support, and much more.

* Translation keys are substituted in line in your code, you can easily tell what a certain line in a view is gonna say without trying to look it up in the yaml file.

* key mapping for all common IDEs are available, so if you're coming from eclipse or netbeans, you don't need to learn new mappings, just tell rubymine you're used to what and it will use the exact same mappings for all the common tasks.

* The autofix menu, very useful for common tasks, like fixing typos, or some syntax errors.

* Nice integration with linux desktops, it generates the .desktop file and the bash script if you want to start it from the terminal.

What do you dislike?

As a Vim lover I've missed some of the vim features, like vim surround, also the vim mapping conflicts with a lot of the IDE shortcuts, so you'll need to access those from the tools menu, or something like that.

Since it's built on java so it eats up some RAM and takes some time to start up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

RubyMine already provides a 30 days trial, you could take it for a test drive before you decide if it's worth your money or not

Also when RubyMine is creating a new version, it releases the testing builds for free to test all the new features, so this could give you more time to use RubyMine without the need to actually buy it.

I've used this product for my development tasks, I've used at a lot at the beginning and it was really useful, and it honestly improved my performance, but then I've decided to move to vim to be able to use some plugins, but I still miss some nice features that were available in RubyMine.

RubyMine review by User in Real Estate
User in Real Estate

"RubyMine is an easy way to write Ruby code"

What do you like best?

It makes my projects easy to create and debug. I enjoyed using it when I needed to write tests or clean up some designs.

What do you dislike?

I didn't like how long it took me to get started with the program. It was a little confusing at first to get my bearings, but

Recommendations to others considering the product

I've heard that Windows users have a difficult time getting started with RubyMine. OS and Linux users don't need to worry about a rocky start. Windows users should be aware that it will take some time to get everything supported, but after that it's no problem.

RubyMine works well with my MacBook. Once it was installed, I did not need to do any other setup.

RubyMine review by Buffy M.
Buffy M.

"Rubymine IDE"

What do you like best?

Simple, yet powerful tools for ruby on rails development. The interactive visual debugger is really useful. Vagrant support makes it easy to setup reusable dev environments. Code hints is handy too.

What do you dislike?

The interface and reindexing of projects can be pretty slow.

Application development

RubyMine review by User

"Free for students and conducive to learning"

What do you like best?

The code suggestions are great and having rubocop always reminding me of good practices helps build good habits. Has really aided my learning in rails.

What do you dislike?

Some key shortcuts seem to be missing or a little annoying, especially coming from VIM. Cursor movements can be an issue. Besides that the biggest problem is the price, most IDEs are free which can make it a tuff choice.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You have to learn the shortcuts to be most efficient.

Great for training users quickly and keeping your linter consistent.

RubyMine review by Dustin L.
Dustin L.

"A great IDE for Ruby"

What do you like best?

This is a great IDE for developing in Ruby.

What do you dislike?

Working on projects housed within a Virtual Machine would be cool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you would like an IDE for Ruby projects, I have found none better.

I wanted an IDE for Ruby projects. This was the only one I could find at the time and I haven't needed anything it didn't do.

"Best IDE used so fat"

What do you like best?

Revision control, global search, easy to run scripts

What do you dislike?

time it takes to load, opening a project is sometimes a bit challenging

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great IDE, you will not want to switch to any other IDE once you get used to this,

Trying to run stable code, easy to debug, fix and rerun

RubyMine review by Nagil I.
Nagil I.

"Best Editor for Ruby on Rails"

What do you like best?

What do you dislike?

Has a learning curve, very heavy package. Debugger hard to use

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's worth the money. Just do it.

Just needed and clean IDE for rails app

"Love RubyMine"

What do you like best?

Easy of use. I can open multiple projects at the same time and still be organized with me file structures.

What do you dislike?

The debugger isnt very easy to use. Adding breakpoints and removing them is hard sometimes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great job. Good product for the price. Wish debugging was easier.

Creating rpecs.

RubyMine review by User in Internet

"The gold standard for ruby"

What do you like best?

Really nice integration. If you follow the standards features like autocomplete and templates work like magic

What do you dislike?

There is few things that I dislike, thus ide works like magic

Recommendations to others considering the product

they have a demo, try it to see if it fits your pipeline and code

Rails development

RubyMine review by Sergey S.
Sergey S.

"New User"

What do you like best?

I like everything. Tried few different and return to RubyMine

What do you dislike?

Some time little slow. Maybe should change settings to make it better, but did not find recommendations what to change

Recommendations to others considering the product

Still learning program. Do not have any recommendations now.

Do all my Ruby on Rails Development

RubyMine review by User in Computer Software

"Great all around product for all things Ruby "

What do you like best?

This best part of using rubymine is how easy it is to debug. You can use breakpoint a and jump into and out of methods. This helps a lot especially when getting into a new project and trying to follow the work flow.

What do you dislike?

The cucumber feature is lacking functionality to jump between step definitions. So break points have to be added to each break point and can't be stepped through.

I am an automation engineer at my company and we're using this product to help us create cucumber tests for our products. Rubymine makes it really easy to just run one scenario at a time and debug the scenario using the console.

RubyMine review by User in Computer Software

"RubyMine is an awesome IDE for Ruby projects. I am using for my organization ruby projects."

What do you like best?

It is a more user friendly IDE like Visual Studio. I am very much used working with visual studio. When i started working on Ruby, i used sublime and it became very hard to work with that text editor.

What do you dislike?

So far i don't have any dislikes. It is a very useful tool, easy to use, IDE is user friendly. No need to hop with different windows like terminal, git. everything is available within the IDE.

I am working on a backoffice application. UI of that application was written in ASP.NET, now we are moving it to Ruby on Rails. So we are using RubyMine as IDE fro Ruby on Rails.

RubyMine review by G2 Crowd User in Computer Software
G2 Crowd User in Computer Software

"RubyMine - A fantastic IDE"

What do you like best?

Full integrated experience with Github, ease of use, ability to debug even a JS application (using plugins)

What do you dislike?

Feel of a heavy-weight IDE. Could be slimmed/trimmed down. When it's kept running for days, it slows down a lot and needs a restart.

We've developing our Ruby on Rails application using RubyMine. We've been able to cut-short the time taken in development/testing. RubyMine really helps in achieving results rapidly.

RubyMine review by G2 Crowd User
G2 Crowd User

"Amazing Software for Ruby Developers"

What do you like best?

I tried so many IDE's for developing Ruby on Rails applications but RubyMine is by far the best one. It's so easy to use and setup and has lots of great shortcuts.

What do you dislike?

It's Java based. That's the only problem. It takes sometime to load.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great software but can be a bit slow on startup but definitely recommended.

I am trying to speed up the software development process.

RubyMine review by User in Computer Software

"I love rubymine because its easy to use when you write ruby, cucumber and rspec code and test"

What do you like best?

autofill,

syntax highlight

cucumber table selection

What do you dislike?

So far i didnt experience any difficulties or dislike of those features i commonly used. So I am not sure

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try RubyMine trial for 30 days. If your technical manager is not a fan of it, ask him to use it for 30 days. :)

I am a automation qa engineer using ruby, rspec and cucumber. Before Rubymine i used aptana radrails , eclipse with ruby addons, which had lot of issues. But after using rubymine trial version, i requested my company to buy the paid version.

RubyMine review by User in Information Technology and Services

"All in one Ruby IDE"

What do you like best?

That it is a complete package that you can do everything from.

What do you dislike?

The debugger can sometimes be pretty slow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

DataGrip is a good tool for data base development that gives you a consistent experience along with RubyMine.

Packing and shipping software. Consistent interface, I used DataGrip as well.

RubyMine review by John G. M.
John G. M.

"Great Ruby IDE"

What do you like best?

The Interface and workflow is great. The code highlighting works really well. I also like the easy to use generator shortcuts. Very well done.rubymine

What do you dislike?

My only crit is that it does not have the lage array of packages/plugins like Sublime Text does. I'm beginning to use Sublime Text 3 more and more. But RubyMine is very good.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look at what Sublime Text is doing. ST is disrupting you business.

I'm solving client issues/problems. Building functionality. Rubymine speeds up Rails. Generating code via the shortcuts really helps.

"Powerhouse of an IDE"

What do you like best?

Smart linking between files/functions. Shortcuts that come out of the box.

What do you dislike?

Has a learning curve, very heavy package. Debugger hard to use

Recommendations to others considering the product

try it before you buy it

Writing code more efficiently - helps a lot as IDE

RubyMine review by eric l.
eric l.

"RubyMine is my goto software for Ruby development"

What do you like best?

I like the Integrated Ruby Tools and syntax highlighting

What do you dislike?

I do not like the Pricing Structure of new versions

Use it for all my Ruby development

RubyMine review by Executive Sponsor in Computer Software
Executive Sponsor in Computer Software

"Great IDE, continual updates"

What do you like best?

Great consolidated IDE with easy debugging

What do you dislike?

Seems to need updating almost every other day - although this could also be seen as a plus

Just needed and clean IDE for rails app

RubyMine review by User in Entertainment
User in Entertainment

"RubyMine Review"

What do you like best?

Being able to quickly move throughout methods.

What do you dislike?

It tends to freeze and needs to be re-started at least twice a week.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommend for Ruby users (obviously), but I think there are better IDEs out there for other coding languages.

I am working on the product business is selling. Not sure I've realized any benefits related to the business problems I'm solving with RubyMine.

RubyMine review by User in Internet

"Best Ruby IDE out there. Period."

What do you like best?

The fact that you get the whole suite, expertise and power of Jetbrains behind this IDE.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, nothing really directly with RM. Jetbrains products could use some general improvements, but great overall.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Again – best Ruby IDE out there. Period.

Primary IDE we use for developing our Ruby app.

RubyMine review by User in Computer Games
User in Computer Games

"Like any other IntelliJ product, it practically writes code for you. "

What do you like best?

The refactoring tools are fantastic and the server/console integration is nice.

What do you dislike?

Kind of bulky for ruby which is very easy to code in with less complicated tools.

On large projects I will always look to rubymine to refactor highly used code.

RubyMine review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Great for RoR development"

What do you like best?

Easy to search and open methods

foreman integrates nicely and spec runs in app

What do you dislike?

heavy compared to sulime text

crashes often

debugger doesn't work very well

last I checked it doesn't support pry

Recommendations to others considering the product

na

build desk.com

RubyMine review by User in Internet

"Trying out text editors."

What do you like best?

I liked that RubyMine had tons of different functionality.

What do you dislike?

I disliked that it was slower and had too much going on.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out for Ruby.

Solving technical recruiting by using software engineering skills to create a more efficient software.

"Regular user"

What do you like best?

UI, autocompletion, ease of use and ability of IDE recognizing different file formats

What do you dislike?

At first I didnt really like the UI; however once I got use to it it was great. Now I guess the only thing I am a little skeptical about the product is it cost but overall it is worth it to get a good tool for daily use.

Web content sharing

"RubyMine Review"

What do you like best?

I most like the ability to look up references across the entire repo and easily jump around the code

What do you dislike?

It consumes quite a bit of memory and it could slow down my computer at times

Recommendations to others considering the product

RubyMine is by far the best IDE for Ruby development work

The ability to look up references easily and quickly has increased my productivity significantly.

RubyMine review by User

"Rubymine for my Capybara tests"

What do you like best?

I love the IDE - so clear and simple to use.

What do you dislike?

the setup was sometimes confusing - I wasn't sure how to get back to my project

I needed a great IDE to write my automated Capybara integration tests,

RubyMine review by Winston K.
Winston K.

"Best IDE for Rails on Windows!"

What do you like best?

Reasonable price, full set of features for doing Rails development on Windows. Code completion features are very useful. Color coding is excellent.

What do you dislike?

Keyboard shortcuts are awkward for Windows users. They aren't set up as you would normally expect. Would be nice to see better integrated documentation reference.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's worth the money. Just do it.

RubyMine review by Agency in Marketing and Advertising
Agency in Marketing and Advertising

"Excellent integration"

What do you like best?

Autocomplete across all files is really good

What do you dislike?

Speed is probably the factor that affects the changes

Not sure

RubyMine review by User in Internet

"Best IDE I've ever used"

What do you like best?

Ability to browse source code from bundled gems, smart inspection warnings/errors, excellent Rails integration features such as i18n of hardcoded string values and much much more.

What do you dislike?

All the great functionality comes at the cost of high memory usage. I also hate the the default option of allowing the placement of caret after the end of line. This option should be off by default.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is a one-month free trial period so you should definitely check it out.

Learning about RubyMine?

* We monitor all RubyMine reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.