4.4 out of 5
Do you work for RubyMine?

RubyMine Reviews

1-50 of 90 total RubyMine reviews

RubyMine Reviews

1-50 of 90 total RubyMine reviews
RubyMine review by Jared F.
Web Developer
Most Recent RubyMine Video Review

"I love the search functionality"

RubyMine review by jose luis M.

"RubyMine es fantástico pero un poco lento"

What do you like best?

Lo mejor que me gusta es la optimización de código que RubyMine realiza en el código. Viniendo de un fondo no rubio, no estoy acostumbrado al estilo Rubí de codificación. Especialmente el uso de cláusulas como a menos que, si las condiciones.

What do you dislike?

Rubymine no parece tan potente como otros IDE de Jetbrain como PyCharm o IntelliJ. Algunas de las áreas en las que puede haber mejoras son saltar de una parte del código a otras utilizando un atajo de teclado. Después de cierto punto, Rubymine no es capaz de realizar optimizaciones en el código porque es demasiado largo.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Si estás comenzando con Ruby, te sugiero que te alejes de RubyMine por un tiempo y hagas las cosas manualmente.

Lo uso para completar mis tareas universitarias. Me ahorró mucho tiempo al depurar, ya que Rubymine tiene un potente depurador que me permite ir línea por línea y ver el valor de cada variable.

RubyMine review by User

"RubyMine Review"

What do you like best?

The best thing I like it the code optimization that RubyMine performs on the code. Coming from a non-ruby background, I am not use to Ruby style of coding. Especially the use of clauses like unless, if conditions.

What do you dislike?

Rubymine does not seem as powerful as other Jetbrain IDE's like PyCharm or IntelliJ. Some of the areas where there can be improvements are jumping from one part of the code to other parts using a keyboard shortcut. After a certain point, Rubymine is not able to perform optimizations on code because it is too long.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are beginning with Ruby I would suggest stay away from RubyMine for a while and do things manually.

I use it for completing my university assignments. It saved me a lot of time while debugging as the Rubymine has a powerful debugger allowing me to go line by line and looking at the value of every variable.

RubyMine review by Gustavo B.
Lead Developer

"one of the best IDE out there"

What do you like best?

If you don't want to be meddling with vim settings and you just want to star coding with support for code completion and class navigation there's nothing better than RubyMine.

You can go straight to a class or method definition from wherever you are seeing it being used to help you understand it.

Now with support for rubocop your code style can improve a lot.

In general one of the best IDE you can get for ruby or ruby on rails.

What do you dislike?

The only problem you will find is, memory consumption, is a java application and a hungry one, it will try to index your project every now and them and if your current set up doesn't have the ideal ram and disk you may feel the pain, specially on start up

RubyMine is ideal for large code bases or legacy projects as it will help you navigate to obscure classes/methods with ease

RubyMine review by Tony B.
Java Software Engineer

""Best Editor for Ruby on Rails""

What do you like best?

I like editors that are quick and lightweight, and was reluctant about regularly attempting an all the more all out IDE when I was so alright with editors like Sublime Text. RubyMine some way or another persuaded me and now I am changed over. I've been utilizing RubyMine for a long time now and the speed it has joined with the majority of the power and alternatives when you need it (and mess free when you don't) make RubyMine my ideal proofreader.

What do you dislike?

As a result of everything going on in the background, RubyMine can be a be somewhat moderate to begin if numerous undertakings need to open immediately with numerous tabs. This is likely something I could fix, by not keeping such a large number of things open, however it is decent to see an enhancement for startup time and CPU utilization.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Out it an attempt regardless of whether you are reluctant about utilizing an out and out IDE. It can feel quick and lightweight while as yet giving you some decent additional highlights. The additional highlights that aren't required by everybody likewise have a pleasant method for being available, however not causing mess.

Quicker and more dominant for building RoR webapps than any supervisor I have utilized. Worked in variant control make it amazingly quick to submit changes and view history.

RubyMine review by Brian R.
SDE

"Great text editor, one of the best new ones!"

What do you like best?

It has an easy finding of method definitions

Provides great test integration

Has a built-in debugger, which is huge plus

Has strong general refactoring tools which are one of the best I found

Makes it easy to navigate code

What do you dislike?

It is not as felxible as vim.

Also, it feels a little cramped, but that's what you get with an IDE vs text editor.

I also think the package manager in sublime is more straightforward than the plugins in RubyMine. The way that RubyMine manages open tabs at the too of the screen is a little annoying - they can scroll left to right.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely give it a chance, you will not go back to your previous text editor!

Replaced most Ruby text editors in our company.

The benefits are that its super easy to use, you can access your db and terminal from within. Excellent error detection. Split panes are nice, elegantly implemented. Has a slick model diagram viewer, tons and tons of features.

"Good, but still slow.."

What do you like best?

I love the syntax highlighting in Ruby, the ability to click into symbols, variables, controller definitions etc and the version control features are also very good.

What do you dislike?

Rubymine is extremely slow.. Even after optimizing folder structure, excluding certain directories and allowing a large amount of memory I still get keyboard input lag and slow load times. Some things work in a surprising fashion as well - such as clicking on a block or highlighted piece of code will move that code? Overall, my biggest complaint is definitely the performance. This is such a large hinderance that I'm currently searching for another editor (visual studio code?) with better performance, the same syntax highlighting (I may just write it myself) and similar "click into" functionality...

So far I've been able to switch from Atom to RubyMine and experience a bit of an uptick in productivity. I attribute this mostly to the fact that the entirety of my team is using the program and is available to answer any questions I may have. If my team wasn't using RubyMine and I went in blind by myself I'm willing to bet my experience would be much worse.

RubyMine review by Bryan M.
Product Director
Design

"Best Editor for Ruby on Rails"

What do you like best?

I like editors that are fast and lightweight, and was hesitant about ever trying a more full blown IDE when I was so comfortable with editors like Sublime Text. RubyMine somehow convinced me and now I am converted. I've been using RubyMine for 2 years now and the speed it has combined with all of the power and options when you want it (and clutter free when you don't) make RubyMine my perfect editor.

What do you dislike?

Because of everything going on behind the scenes, RubyMine can be a be a bit slow to start if many projects have to open at once with many tabs. This is probably something I could fix, by not keeping so many things open, but it would be nice to see an improvement on startup time and CPU usage.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try even if you are hesitant about using a full blown IDE. It can feel fast and lightweight while still giving you some nice extra features. The extra features that aren't needed by everyone also have a nice way of being accessible, but not causing clutter.

Faster and more powerful for building RoR webapps than any editor I have used. Built in version control make it extremely fast to commit changes and view history.

RubyMine review by Antonio M.
CEO

"One of the best IDE for coding in Ruby"

What do you like best?

As well as other Intellij programs I really love the way that they keep the same visual assets as well as the same functionalities.

They do it really well with the Go to definition and the find usages options. I use it almost everyday.

What do you dislike?

Well... I dont really like the size of the IDE, it's really heavy and if you're using a Macbook with only 120gb of space, you can't really be wasting space, so I have RubyMine on a separate external hard disk, no big deal at the end of the day but it's a bit annoying to go with the macbook and also the hard drive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

RubyMine is a must in your daily programs if you're a Ruby programmer. It makes things a lot easier than other programs like NetBeans or Eclipse.

It helps me a lot with the Git control module and the documentation that auto implements to your code, making it a bit more easy to coding on Ruby (Which is really difficult) .

RubyMine review by Sergii S.
QA Manager

"good stable IDE"

What do you like best?

I can do editing in the code while looking on previous results, also I can read the code with my eyes while waiting for results to finish. I caught several improvement places while just looking on the split screen while waiting :)

What do you dislike?

sometimes it takes too much time ti give any meaningful response and you are clueless what is going on.

Recommendations to others considering the product

give it a try and show to junior developers, they will love it

RubyMine is good for proof of concept (at least I used it in this way). I didn't have a chance to create production grade project yet.

Other team used different approaches to ruby development and I heard that after trying so many tools they finally end up purchasing license for RubyMine as it's easy to integrate with versioning system and there is very few issues in the team collaboration flows.

I like that many people already use this IDE and you can easily find help on the industry specific forums or just on the stack over flow.

Glad to see developers of the product taking time releasing new versions often in the response to customer feedback and early bug reports.

I think product can be used in many situation and feet different needs of the typical software company or organization with significant software presence in their business model.

Each team is different, so I can only share opinions that I observed in our company and not sure if there are serious problems on really huge projects.

RubyMine review by Rachel F.

"Have been using for 6 years"

What do you like best?

For ruby automation frameworks this is my favorite IDE. It is super easy to configure where you can check in code via the Rubymine VCS menu or console. Love the package installs available too

What do you dislike?

I have been using it for 6 years not just a professional license but I even have purchased a personal license because I do not dislike it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great tool, check out the Plugins

QA automation. I can use many gems, packages and integrate to use various functionality. I can work on projects that are written in JS as well as Python.

RubyMine review by John M.
Senior Ruby/Rails Developer and Project Manager

"Best way to manage and debug ruby/rails code"

What do you like best?

The RubyMine team has done a tremendous job of keeping up with the ever changing toolset involved in complex Ruby and Rails projects, and they continue to make coding easier. I've played around with other editors, and one nice thing about Ruby is you don't usually need things to be too fancy, but hands down the best feature of Rubymine for me is the debugging process. I can quickly dig into a problem in my codebase, a new client's codebase, or in a 3rd party gem, and figure out what is really going on at runtime. It saves me so much time, and helps me understand a complex codebase faster.

What do you dislike?

In previous versions I would run into memory problems, particularly when running rspec tests, but that seems to have gone away (either because I have a better machine, or the latest Rubymine or both!)

The way the pricing works I sort of feel like I just paid for it, and then I have to pay again, or there is a deal that comes out right after I buy it, and I feel like I overpaid.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out and see if it works well for you. If you have an underpowered machine, or a huge codebase, you might run into issues.

Quickly understanding a codebase, debugging a complex problem, improving the documentation and cleaning up the code so that other team mates can get up to speed quickly.

RubyMine review by Magus F.

"Un fantástico IDE para tus proyectos de Ruby on Rails"

What do you like best?

Lo que más me gusta de este programa son las opciones de configuración flexible, así como cambiar a la declaración de métodos y variables. Soporta GIT y es muy flexible al ejecutar las pruebas, también proporciona asistencia de código, opciones de refactorización seguras y soporte para JS.

What do you dislike?

Suele usar mucha memoria RAM y a veces es un poco lento. Puede llegar a ser un poco confuso si no estás familiarizado con este programa.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Es un buen programa que está bien de precio y te puede ayudar mucho, sobre todo si tienes proyectos de Ruby on Rails. Además puedes probar su prueba gratuita de 30 días para probarlo.

He usado RubyMine como un IDE para Ruby on Rails y me ha servido de ayuda para agilizar el desarrollo de mis aplicaciones.

RubyMine review by User in Government Administration

"Ruby Mine REVIEW IT Development Software"

What do you like best?

I changed from sublime to RubyMine a month prior as I began another activity (they were at that point utilizing it). I have unquestionably not aced it yet, but rather I do truly welcome various highlights. Proviso - this is my first genuine programming work and my first IDE. The venture is a reasonably measured Rails and Precise task with Cucumber, RSpec, and Jasmine tests. I think my most loved piece of having the RubyMine IDE is the test incorporation. I think that its a lot simpler and faster to investigate tests when I can navigate each falling flat test, take a gander at the call stack, and bounce straightforwardly to the record I need with a single tick. At that point I can undoubtedly re-run just the tests that have fizzled without working through the direction line to determine precisely which ones I need running.

I also really like the git integration. I can click the "changes" window to get an overview of the files I've changed, and committing and pushing is a breeze. I never did use the GitHub GUI though, so maybe this isn't an improvement over that.

There are a couple little things I like that might be possible in sublime but aren't on by default. When you close a folder structure (say app/assets/javascript/controllers for angular) when you re-open it all of the child folders are closed. This helps me not have a mess of folders open on the left side over time. I also like the icons based on the file type.

What do you dislike?

RubyMine feels somewhat confined, in any event for me, however that is the thing that you get with an IDE versus content manager. I additionally think the bundle supervisor in grand is more direct than the modules in RubyMine. The manner in which that RubyMine oversees open tabs at the highest point of the screen is a bit of irritating - they can scroll left to right and I am simply not a fan. Sorry for the fairly continuous flow musings. By and large they're both strong choices, yet I'm content with RubyMine for my little to the moderate-sized undertaking.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Enterprises have unique needs and requirements and no software solution can be just right in such a scenario. It is futile to try to find a perfect off-the-shelf software system that fulfills all your business wants. The wise thing to do would be to modify the solution for your special needs, staff member skill levels, finances, and other elements. For these reasons, do not rush and pay for well-publicized leading systems. Though these may be widely used, they may not be the best fit for your specific wants.

Smart Code Analysis

Ruby Development

Ruby on Rails

RubyMotion

Integrated Tools

RubyMine review by Ben B.
Financial Services

"Great product for Ruby/JS/CSS/HTML"

What do you like best?

I love the keyboard shortcuts, the debugger, the code navigation, the intellisense! I also really like being able to set up different Run/Debug configurations so that I can run pretty much any scenario I would like via a quick keyboard shortcut.

What do you dislike?

I find the default visual themes to be a bit lacking, and I haven't been able to find any custom themes that make the editor look quite as nice as Sublime or Atom. The editor can also be a resource hog on slower machines and you'll find you might need to restart it once in a while to keep things moving smoothly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the time to set things up properly, it'll pay dividends. Also, don't be turned off by the keyboard shortcuts that don't quite map to Sublime or Atom... In time you'll end up preferring them.

I'm writing code day in and day out and a fully equipped IDE like RubyMine really makes me more productive. There's just so much more it offers on top of a text editor like Atom or Sublime. The debugging features alone probably make me twice as productive as I was when I just used a text editor.

RubyMine review by Chirag S.
Senior Software Engineer

"Awesome product. Great productivity IDE."

What do you like best?

Everything. IDE has full fledged support for ruby and ruby on rails projects. Database inspector, terminal access, debugger, VCS integrations. Everything is just awesome about this product.

What do you dislike?

Need more themes. Although there is an option to create you own themes and color combinations, but it is not that intuitive and requires a lot of effort. Would be helpful if there are more inbuilt themes packaged with the product. Apart from that, the database inspector could use some love and needs improvement in terms of GUI.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product. Its money well invested. Once you get used to it, there's no turning back. Although I am a ruby on rails developer, I use it for Javascript as well. It is that good. Database inspector, terminal access, debugger, VCS integrations, syntax highlighting, linter support. It has everything an IDE needs and probably more.

I am a Ruby on Rails developer with work related to web development. The product is great to manage everything from one place, plus it has nifty keyboard shortcuts to manage everything without touching your mouse/touchpad

RubyMine review by Nuri H.
Principal Software Engineer

"Supercharge your Ruby development"

What do you like best?

RubyMine is full featured, right out of the box, but never gets in your way. The most powerful features I love are the built-in debugger and the interface for dealing with merge conflicts in git. RubyMine's capability to jump to usage or jump to definition is extremely handy as well. Being able to use the built-in test runners right out of the box (rspec and cucumber) is absolutely great, too.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that sometimes RubyMine gets laggy due to its resource-intensive nature. I think that's my only con in the years I have used it. Sometimes I need to close it and let my computer free up RAM.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely check out their trial version, there's enough time allowed to see if you really jive with the software. If you end up purchasing, I would absolutely spend time to learn all the ins and outs of the product, and customizing configurations such as hotkeys, shortcuts and interface.

I was solving for developer productivity -- I promptly succeeded, and then some. When I use RubyMine, my productivity skyrockets. Debugging complex issues becomes a cakewalk when using the interactive debugger.

RubyMine review by Mihail B.
Software engineer

"The single IDE for ruby"

What do you like best?

A lot of functional, beautiful interface. Supports a variety of plug-ins for all purposes. Color themes, git interface terminal, comfortable code navigation, easy access to gem sources and more you will get out of the box. Frequent updates of the IDE, and plug-ins. A minimum of bugs and crashes, all is stable, like clockwork.

What do you dislike?

Pretty large appetite for the PC, in some cases it may boot the system by 100%. Long run for the first time and initiates a project for a while. Not clear settings, you need to spend some time, to find the right option. Major updates need to download and re-installed that a little convenient. Do not forget to import settings from a previous version of the IDE.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Nothing. All is simple as never.

Thanks to him, you will never get lost in the projects with a lot of code, all calls will be apparent. Will be accustomed you to "beautiful code" and all the good practices of the world Ruby. Highlight all unused variables, methods. Otherwise, say where the code will be interrupted. As there is a debugger that will help you understand what is happening around.

RubyMine review by Mikhail B.
Ror-developer
Broadcast Media

"Easiest way to get into ruby infrastructure"

What do you like best?

It is possible to get into other gem sources in 1-click, pretty editor with autocomplete, good interface and easy get into hot buttons. It is good tool, which combine pretty git blame history, i forget when I needed to use sourcetree last tile. With Rubymine is really easy gem developing.

What do you dislike?

High memory usage, some built-in automatic , which may confuse sometimes, like automated links changing.

Ugly on height resolution monitors (4k). Currently, I do not know how to get list of all errors in the file (may me the is a checker, but I could not find it). Today db connection from rubymine is useless, but I can not turn it off. When I increase left-menu bar font size (where is files tree), file extensions are crop. Rubymine have good style guide check from baatsov, but why you can not inject automatic rubocop file fix up according `rubocop.yml` if it is commited to the project (Of cause Guard may help, but, I think, this functionality will be good addition for Rubymine). In Lunux Ubuntu (lubuntu interface) i have conflict with defaults ctrl+alt+arrow, it will be perfect if it will be default doubled with other combination. Also, i think will be good practice to make autoconfig for git to exclude .idea folders from commits.

Recommendations to others considering the product

At all, it is really the top of the editors

Nowdays I support 3 rails apps, which are height-level config generators for CDN-network

RubyMine review by Miriam M.
Quality Assurance Tester
Online Media

"Lots of features, but heavy on resources"

What do you like best?

I think RubyMine is a great tool if you want to be able to do all of your work in one place. You can code, add in breakpoints, debug, execute tests, etc all from one place. If you want to centralize your workflow, RubyMine is a great option.

What do you dislike?

I tend not to use most of the features in the IDE. I like to write my code in it, but I usually end up using the terminal on my Mac anyway; and for debugging, I just use pry from the command line. Good tools available, but when you don't really use them, you end up with something very heavy on resources without much added benefit.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do you need such a comprehensive feature set? Then this is a great tool. If you value your resources over convenience, maybe not.

One thing that has been helpful with RubyMine is giving everyone, even those who are new to dev work, the ability to efficiently code and debug. If this is your first rodeo, there are so many great features for running tests with one click, stepping through code, and so on.

RubyMine review by Alex K.
Sr Software Engineer
Financial Services

"Best Ruby IDE"

What do you like best?

Fully integrated Ruby IDE: with code completion, smart code analysis, refactoring, code navigation, test runner, debugger, great Git client, great database client. It's just so much faster to develop Ruby/Rails projects than anything else. Very healthy plugins system. If you like to use Vim - you can use Vim inside of RubyMine, just install a plugin.

What do you dislike?

It tends to use a lot of CPU and memory, which is only a problem if I'm trying to work off my battery. Working plugged in - I barely feel it.

IdeaVim plugin isn't ideal: some Vim features don't work, dialogs cannot be closed with ESC key. All minor - so not a big deal.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I understand that Vim or Sublime a "cool", but they are simple text editors. Save yourself some time by switching to RubyMine: productive is way cooler than just "cool".

It simply saves a TON of time: debugger alone is worth it - when compared to console debugger.

RubyMine review by David D.

"Sin duda el mejor IDE para Ruby"

What do you like best?

RubyMine es un excelente IDE para los desarrolladores de Ruby on Rails, los accesos directos son excelentes, puedes conectar tu base de datos y construir tus proyectos localmente, su autocompletado es muy útil. Además tiene un gran número de complementos y tiene un diseño moderno.

What do you dislike?

Muy pocas veces el programa se queda helado y tengo que cerrarlo y volverlo a abrir pero bueno, ningún programa es perfecto, dejando eso de lado, no le he encontrado más inconvenientes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Lo recomiendo sin duda si desarrollas en Ruby on Rails, puedes probarlo gratis así que aprovéchalo.

Gracias a RubyMine he creado proyectos para Ruby on Rails eficazmente y me he ahorrado mucho tiempo gracias a su autocompletado y sus múltiples funciones.

RubyMine review by Karl C.
SDET
Computer & Network Security

"Best Ruby IDE out there"

What do you like best?

I love the UI of this software. It's fast and also elegant at the same time. There are many, many, MANY different options to configure the UI and layout to your liking for maximum readability. I also like that RubyMine is smart enough to automatically sense when you're opening a Git project, or an RVM/rbenv directory and applies the needed settings.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that Rubymine, and the reset of Jetbrains software has moved to the subscription-based licensing model...but I guess that is just the trend nowadays. I also dislike the amount of resources that this IDE consumes. Yes, it looks nice and works GREAT but it will eat your CPU cycles (and your battery) like no tomorrow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Everyone has their own personal preferences when it comes to IDE, but if you're considering a new one then DEFINITELY give Rubymine a try. It gives numerous options for adjusting the UI to the user's liking, has a plethora of built-in features for better understanding and re-factoring code, and the IDE itself is fairly smart when it comes to opening/importing projects from version control (Git).

Using RubyMine, I'm able to better collaborate with other teams by importing their projects and using looking up said team's methods within seconds. This has shaved tons of "ramp up" time off of joining new projects.

RubyMine review by Wei D.
QA Engineer

"If you code in Ruby, use this IDE!"

What do you like best?

This IDE makes coding in Ruby easy and intuitive. The auto completion is a great feature, as well as the click to track. Find usages is another great tool. The GitHub integration is also quite useful, with in line annotation, as well as commit comparison. RubyMine also makes running tests easy, and navigating through multiple projects a breeze.

What do you dislike?

The IDE is heavy, no doubt. At times it can be slow if you have a high uptime, or just have a slow computer. Depending on how big your project is, it may be slow as well. Getting RM set up could be a hassle too, I did have a few hiccups trying to get my environment variables all settled in.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you use Ruby on Rails, use RM!

When coding a large Rails app that has many sub-apps even, a tool like RM is necessary to maintain a fast and efficient workflow. It has made my life a lot easier, that's for sure.

RubyMine review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Great IDE for Ruby developers"

What do you like best?

It makes navigating the codebase extremely easy.

What do you dislike?

It can feel laggy when it is running multiple tests in the background via linters It can feel laggy when it is running multiple tests in the background via lintersIt can feel laggy when it is running multiple tests in the background via lintersRubyMine's ability to let you click into deeper view files is really efficient when developing in big applications. The vast array of developer options to utilize in preferences is also a great addition. RubyMine's ability to let you click into deeper view files is really efficient when developing in big applications. The vast array of developer options to utilize in preferences is also a great addition. RubyMine's ability to let you click into deeper view files is really efficient when developing in big applications. The vast array of developer options to utilize in preferences is also a great addition. RubyMine's ability to let you click into deeper view files is really efficient when developing in big applications. The vast array of developer options to utilize in preferences is also a great addition. RubyMine's ability to let you click into deeper view files is really efficient when developing in big applications. The vast array of developer options to utilize in preferences is also a great addition.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Spend some time really familiarizing yourself with the tools and additional plugins RubyMine offers you - it will increase your productivity ten fold and will become second nature.

I can work a lot faster with RubyMine to source files It can feel laggy when it is running multiple tests in the background via lintersIt can feel laggy when it is running multiple tests in the background via lintersIt can feel laggy when it is running multiple tests in the background via lintersRubyMine's ability to let you click into deeper view files is really efficient when developing in big applications. The vast array of developer options to utilize in preferences is also a great addition. RubyMine's ability to let you click into deeper view files is really efficient when developing in big applications. The vast array of developer options to utilize in preferences is also a great addition. RubyMine's ability to let you click into deeper view files is really efficient when developing in big applications. The vast array of developer options to utilize in preferences is also a great addition. RubyMine's ability to let you click into deeper view files is really efficient when developing in big applications. The vast array of developer options to utilize in preferences is also a great addition. RubyMine's ability to let you click into deeper view files is really efficient when developing in big applications. The vast array of developer options to utilize in preferences is also a great addition. RubyMine's ability to let you click into deeper view files is really efficient when developing in big applications. The vast array of developer options to utilize in preferences is also a great addition. RubyMine's ability to let you click into deeper view files is really efficient when developing in big applications. The vast array of developer options to utilize in preferences is also a great addition. RubyMine's ability to let you click into deeper view files is really efficient when developing in big applications. The vast array of developer options to utilize in preferences is also a great addition.

RubyMine review by Mona R.
Software Engineer

"RubyMine - the popular IDE"

What do you like best?

The RubyMine Git Annotate command makes it really easy to see who was the last person on your team to write or change that function. When you’re working on a large team project, there are often times when you’re not sure why somebody wrote a function the way they did or why the function is even there!

What do you dislike?

There are problems with RubyMine not paying attention to the remapping when using keyboard shortcuts. I've been told that this is because of a shortcoming in Java, but that might be wrong.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Some devs like something "ready to use out of the box". Some devs like to have they're own setup and fiddle around and have that raw power that something like Vim and Emacs gives you. So i guess you're just working or you've only encounter the later type of devs.

I build scalable high-volume applications for a digital-health monitoring company. If you’re on a spec file, simply click and RubyMine will run the tests from that spec file right in RubyMine. You can then easily look at the red tests and click on the problem lines right inside RubyMine, without having to look at the terminal and figure it out. One goal of testing is to make the RED => GREEN => REFACTOR cycle as efficient as possible, and RubyMine definitely speeds up the process.

RubyMine review by Miah Raihan Mahmud A.
Research

"A heavyweight IDE, however best IDE for Ruby developers"

What do you like best?

I like RubyMine instead of other IDEs, because it easily picks up the RVM and rbenv ruby versions without additional configuration and hassles. It also provides bad ruby/rails code detection according to ruby/rails best practices and provides quick-fix options to fix bad codes. It also easily picks up version control systems configurations without additional configuration (e.g GIT). It also supports JavaScript, CoffeeScript, ERB and HAML, CSS, Sass and Less, and more. I like its Rails-aware refactoring feature which performs project-wide changes: for example renaming a controller will also rename helper, views and tests.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes i dislike It, because of its heavyweight and memory consuming. If you have memory less than 4 GB, RubyMine file indexing will be slower and sometimes it is annoying because It will stuck until indexing is finished. For these dislikes I gave RubyMine 9 ratings out of 10

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a decent pc with 8GB RAM than I will recommend you to use RubyMine as your first IDE for Ruby/Rails development.

I am developing web applications in my professional life using Ruby/Rails, NodeJS, JavaScript etc. For Ruby/Rails I always use RubyMIne because of its quick setup and configuration. RubyMine saves my development time by providing intelligent code completions. Furthermore its Rails-aware refactoring feature saves lots of time during code refactoring instead of going to each files manually.

RubyMine review by User in Computer Software

"Easy to use Ruby Interface"

What do you like best?

I like how simple and effective it is to use. I am currently learning how to program in Ruby and this has helped me be able to pick up the language pretty quickly. I also really like how the coding hints really help point in the right direction of what I need to change with my code. This has been extremely helpful in learning the basics.

What do you dislike?

I think the thing I dislike the most is if you are trying to switch between tabs you have to double click to switch over instead of single click. I keep getting tripped up by this.

I am using RubyMine to learn how to program in Ruby for web automation testing. This tool has helped me be able to program automation in selenium pretty quickly

RubyMine review by User in Internet

"Great IDE for Rails Development"

What do you like best?

Great tool for traversing your codebase. The shortcuts are great as well as the ability to give more productivity to a junior developer in a shorter amount of time. You can connect your database and build your queries locally which is helpful for testing one offs. Setting up your config file is easy to make sure that your code is easy which allows everyone on the team to be on the same page.

What do you dislike?

The newest version has become laggy and can bog your machine up a bit. Not sure why with the current iteration.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think that it is worth the yearly investment.

Productive professional and hobby web development. Rubymine really allows me to be productive.

RubyMine review by William S.
Sales Consultant/Technology Specialist
(10,001+ employees)

"Seriously, why use anything else?"

What do you like best?

Rubymine does everything you could ever need and more. Amazingly functional auto-complete, great generators, excellent linting support, addons, great layout. Everything is, in my experience, just about perfect. Doesn't eat up your system resources either!

What do you dislike?

I thought long and hard about this and honestly cannot think of a single thing that I genuinely dislike.

Integrating the menagerie of tools that one might use to develop a Ruby app into one is a godsend.

RubyMine review by Sam B.

"Didn't become a fan"

What do you like best?

I usually like Jetbrain's editor and hence found most of the features similar to that in most other Jetbrain's editors. These common features were good but I didn't find any Ruby specific features to be good.

What do you dislike?

The auto-correct was not that good as other editors. Also, cmd+click usually takes me to the declaration or usage of a variable but in Ruby-mine things didn't use to happen normally. Most of the cmd+clicks just failed I have no idea why.

Used it for editing a website which was already built in Rails. I would use it if that website was already in Ruby. Hated this language and editor both

RubyMine review by Hari G.
Lead Technical Architect
Telecommunications

"Most powerful Ruby IDE on the market."

What do you like best?

It's the heaviest, most feature-complete editor for Ruby available. Out of the box. Period. Quick project navigation, incredible refactoring tools, incredible testing support, native support for Ruby-related tech, etc. Nothing else comes close.

I've been a paying customer for over four years now, and I've use it pretty much every working day.since I started with Ruby. It's been a blast.

What do you dislike?

it's a Java app, and requires a pretty beefy system to run it well, especially if you're working with a large codebase. I work on a top-tier Macbook Pro, and it never feels fast. Sometimes, it even gets dead slow, and it can get frustrating. Indexing always takes a lot of time, and even simple things like navigating to another file by searching (double-shift shortcut) can be painfully non-responsive, taking whole seconds to find the queried file. In contrast, an editor like ATOM is lightning-fast, and it's difficult to recommend Rubymine because the performance / speed situation is hard to ignore, when you're paying a hefty sum of money to use the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out. The refactoring tools are absolutely magical. My jaw dropped to the floor the first time I saw it in action - Juggling methods and classes around like it was nothing. However, note that you need a good system to let it breathe, and some patience when it inevitably slows down every now and then.

On the whole, it saves time. A lot of it, that would otherwise be spent switching contexts to do related tasks. Want to boot up the development Rails server? One key combo plus enter. Want to checkout the contents of the database? Use the inbuilt GUI. Want to see the history of the file you're working on, and who's to blame for that awfully fat method? Use built-in Git annotate feature. Want to run your tests? Another key combo, pops up a built-in test runner and code navigator. It's got everything.

RubyMine review by Vikhyat G.
Associate Systems Programmer
Defense & Space

"One of the best IDEs"

What do you like best?

Almost everything! The refactoring is good. Love the dracula theme. Finding a file or a text is super easy. Good integration with the VCS.

What do you dislike?

It crashes sometimes. Multiple cursor selection adds an additional cursor on the first line which gets a bit annoying.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do not think before getting this product!

Developing a RoR web app. Used rubymine to reformat the complete application. Using rubymine's VCS rather than the shell.

RubyMine review by User in Computer Software

"Extremely helpful for keeping track of large projects"

What do you like best?

There are so many shortcuts and tools to boost productivity when using RubyMine, especially when dealing with massive projects that would otherwise be a pain to keep mentally organized. There are a ton of powerful refactoring tools, an extremely robust search, and a whole host of configurations so you don't have to think about any minutia you'll never really change anyways.

What do you dislike?

Every so often, an update will either change some configuration or make some shortcuts not work anymore. Definitely check the changelog before updating.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Learn the keyboard shortcuts!

If you really get to know the shortcuts and generators it provides, it can really speed up how quickly you code.

RubyMine review by User in Computer Software

"A very convenient IDE for Ruby users"

What do you like best?

Similarity and compatibility with other IDEs (like PyCharm, Eclipse etc) - hence easiness to switch between platforms and languages.

What do you dislike?

Slow in Windows 7, when loading, many updates run in the background, and it's not clearly indicated what the updates are and how long it'll take.

Not the best help and in-line prompt.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use operation system no less than Windows 10.

If you know any other IDE like PyCharm, the switch will take no time.

QA and website construction and editing.

RubyMine review by Nazar H.
Senior Software Architect
Internet

"Rubymine : Feel Awesome in Heaven"

What do you like best?

1. Debugger

2. Code Navigation

3. Cleanlines of the Interface

4. Project Structure

5. Refactoring

What do you dislike?

1. Heavy use of memory

2. Default Fonts

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ever wonder a partner to help you in Ruby on Rails development. Just choose Ruby Mine and be amazed. It will help you out at every single step where you need it.

Better to stay within Ruby mind and use the terminal also database also tests and a lot other bundled all together.

Rapid Software Development I need and RubyMine assists me in it very well.

RubyMine review by User in Internet

"Using RubyMine IDE to write ruby code"

What do you like best?

I love the UI. It is very easy to use. It is very well integrated with other plugins like git. It also has a terminal which is easy to use. Lot of different themes. Custom themes can also be added.

What do you dislike?

The shortcuts are hard to learn in the beginning and the shortcuts are not the same as other Intellij products.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is definitely one of the best Ruby IDEs out there. There is a steep learning curve. But once we are used to the UI and the shortcuts, it is definitely very easy to use. But the IDE shortcuts are not consistent with other Intellij IDEs. It is very fast and it has lot of plugins to read other programming languages code also.

Creating ruby projects. Integrating with maven so we can build the projects. Create ruby modules.

RubyMine review by Esteban O.
Founder and CTO

"Sublime text on steroids = RubyMine"

What do you like best?

The internal debugger helps us catch bugs easier than ever. Code completion and project navigation helps us move through the source files in a fast and efficient way.

What do you dislike?

It can be CPU and memory intensive sometimes. This can lead to a slow experience. Sometimes with a restart of RubyMine it works just fine.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your project has hundred of files and complex code, Rubymine can help you a lot and simplify your daily work 2X.

It helps us code faster, refactor the code in a much easier way and test . The biggest benefit we perceive by using it is how fast we can navigate hundreds of source code files and take advantage of the builtin debugger.

RubyMine review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Computer Software

"Like RubyMine because of usebility. A lot of common sence in Editor. "

What do you like best?

most of all I like the flexible setup options, as well as switching to the declaration of methods and variables. I know that for free tools you can spend hours to do what they want and you also spend a lot of hours to understand how they work and how you can improve them. With RubyMine someone else spends the time to thing about those things.

What do you dislike?

RubyMine native debbuger is really slow, and I have to use terminal. The code completion is very aggressive and often guesses wrong.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend it to everybody using Ruby

Web Automation. A lot of Ruby on Rails and Ruby developers use RubyMine. It's a very good IDE that has a lot of useful functionality.

RubyMine review by Alkesh G.
Senior Software Developer

"Best Ruby IDE"

What do you like best?

Considering Ruby as a scripting language it has the best support for navigation, ruby syntax checking and support.

Also git and svn support and plus deployment through ruby mine.

Flexibility of running test cases auto suggest.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it hangs, but rarely happens. It is actually really great of ruby beginners.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Foe beginners it is really a must IDE. Exploring it in deep will really help you understand how it functions and benefits of using it frequently.

It is fast, easy and developer friendly to code. Using RubyMine makes coding quiet easily and have a great UI to work on

RubyMine review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Good tool for Ruby Developers/Engineers"

What do you like best?

I have used the IDE for about 2 years and I think it is a great tool. It gives code assistance, smart for debugging, safe refactoring options, support for JS. You can also try it for free in order to check it out. It works great with source control systems such as GIT and you do not need to learn anything about git. you can also use the console from rubymine which works great. If you want to refactor more files, you can preview it as well which all files are going to be changed.

What do you dislike?

I do not enjoy the themes on ruby mine. It is heavyweight and needs good RAM capacity in order to work well. They also need to build out some more themes to make it more interesting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do use the 30 days trial version. It is a great tool for the new web developer who has not yet used any tool before. Spend time in using the shortcuts it is very helpful.

I like the use of shortcuts and makes things faster. I think it works great if anyone needs an IDE for the Web development and want to expand their horizons. Debugging is very easy and it has helped me to debug my unit tests as it was a cakewalk.

RubyMine review by Mateusz B.
Frontend Developer
Internet

"Very good and heavy IDE"

What do you like best?

Intellisense when you type function, UI panels which can you love using your mouse, lots of plugins and mamy editor features such as find and replace, find definition and file indexing. User can also mark folders using incons and using builtin git plugin push and view repo changes. I can also run it on linux, mac os and Windows.

What do you dislike?

Its written in Java so its slow and uses huge amount of memory. License not allow me for commercial use when i use free version

License doesnt allow me to commercial use