RubyMine

Showing 67 RubyMine reviews
RubyMine review by <span>Shubham G.</span>
Shubham G.

"RubyMine Review"

What do you like best?

The best thing I like it the code optimization that RubyMine performs on the code. Coming from a non-ruby background, I am not use to Ruby style of coding. Especially the use of clauses like unless, if conditions.

What do you dislike?

Rubymine does not seem as powerful as other Jetbrain IDE's like PyCharm or IntelliJ. Some of the areas where there can be improvements are jumping from one part of the code to other parts using a keyboard shortcut. After a certain point, Rubymine is not able to perform optimizations on code because it is too long.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are beginning with Ruby I would suggest stay away from RubyMine for a while and do things manually.

I use it for completing my university assignments. It saved me a lot of time while debugging as the Rubymine has a powerful debugger allowing me to go line by line and looking at the value of every variable.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about RubyMine
RubyMine review by <span>Gustavo B.</span>
Gustavo B.

"one of the best IDE out there"

What do you like best?

If you don't want to be meddling with vim settings and you just want to star coding with support for code completion and class navigation there's nothing better than RubyMine.

You can go straight to a class or method definition from wherever you are seeing it being used to help you understand it.

Now with support for rubocop your code style can improve a lot.

In general one of the best IDE you can get for ruby or ruby on rails.

What do you dislike?

The only problem you will find is, memory consumption, is a java application and a hungry one, it will try to index your project every now and them and if your current set up doesn't have the ideal ram and disk you may feel the pain, specially on start up

RubyMine is ideal for large code bases or legacy projects as it will help you navigate to obscure classes/methods with ease

What Integrated Development Environment (IDE) solution do you use?

RubyMine review by User in Computer Software

"Good, but still slow.."

What do you like best?

I love the syntax highlighting in Ruby, the ability to click into symbols, variables, controller definitions etc and the version control features are also very good.

What do you dislike?

Rubymine is extremely slow.. Even after optimizing folder structure, excluding certain directories and allowing a large amount of memory I still get keyboard input lag and slow load times. Some things work in a surprising fashion as well - such as clicking on a block or highlighted piece of code will move that code? Overall, my biggest complaint is definitely the performance. This is such a large hinderance that I'm currently searching for another editor (visual studio code?) with better performance, the same syntax highlighting (I may just write it myself) and similar "click into" functionality...

So far I've been able to switch from Atom to RubyMine and experience a bit of an uptick in productivity. I attribute this mostly to the fact that the entirety of my team is using the program and is available to answer any questions I may have. If my team wasn't using RubyMine and I went in blind by myself I'm willing to bet my experience would be much worse.

RubyMine review by <span>Bryan M.</span>
Bryan M.

"Best Editor for Ruby on Rails"

What do you like best?

I like editors that are fast and lightweight, and was hesitant about ever trying a more full blown IDE when I was so comfortable with editors like Sublime Text. RubyMine somehow convinced me and now I am converted. I've been using RubyMine for 2 years now and the speed it has combined with all of the power and options when you want it (and clutter free when you don't) make RubyMine my perfect editor.

What do you dislike?

Because of everything going on behind the scenes, RubyMine can be a be a bit slow to start if many projects have to open at once with many tabs. This is probably something I could fix, by not keeping so many things open, but it would be nice to see an improvement on startup time and CPU usage.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try even if you are hesitant about using a full blown IDE. It can feel fast and lightweight while still giving you some nice extra features. The extra features that aren't needed by everyone also have a nice way of being accessible, but not causing clutter.

Faster and more powerful for building RoR webapps than any editor I have used. Built in version control make it extremely fast to commit changes and view history.

RubyMine review by <span>Sergii S.</span>
Sergii S.

"good stable IDE"

What do you like best?

I can do editing in the code while looking on previous results, also I can read the code with my eyes while waiting for results to finish. I caught several improvement places while just looking on the split screen while waiting :)

What do you dislike?

sometimes it takes too much time ti give any meaningful response and you are clueless what is going on.

Recommendations to others considering the product

give it a try and show to junior developers, they will love it

RubyMine is good for proof of concept (at least I used it in this way). I didn't have a chance to create production grade project yet.

Other team used different approaches to ruby development and I heard that after trying so many tools they finally end up purchasing license for RubyMine as it's easy to integrate with versioning system and there is very few issues in the team collaboration flows.

I like that many people already use this IDE and you can easily find help on the industry specific forums or just on the stack over flow.

Glad to see developers of the product taking time releasing new versions often in the response to customer feedback and early bug reports.

I think product can be used in many situation and feet different needs of the typical software company or organization with significant software presence in their business model.

Each team is different, so I can only share opinions that I observed in our company and not sure if there are serious problems on really huge projects.

RubyMine review by <span>John M.</span>
John M.

"Best way to manage and debug ruby/rails code"

What do you like best?

The RubyMine team has done a tremendous job of keeping up with the ever changing toolset involved in complex Ruby and Rails projects, and they continue to make coding easier. I've played around with other editors, and one nice thing about Ruby is you don't usually need things to be too fancy, but hands down the best feature of Rubymine for me is the debugging process. I can quickly dig into a problem in my codebase, a new client's codebase, or in a 3rd party gem, and figure out what is really going on at runtime. It saves me so much time, and helps me understand a complex codebase faster.

What do you dislike?

In previous versions I would run into memory problems, particularly when running rspec tests, but that seems to have gone away (either because I have a better machine, or the latest Rubymine or both!)

The way the pricing works I sort of feel like I just paid for it, and then I have to pay again, or there is a deal that comes out right after I buy it, and I feel like I overpaid.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out and see if it works well for you. If you have an underpowered machine, or a huge codebase, you might run into issues.

Quickly understanding a codebase, debugging a complex problem, improving the documentation and cleaning up the code so that other team mates can get up to speed quickly.

Learning about RubyMine?

* We monitor all RubyMine reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.