SaltStack

Systems and configuration management software

Work for SaltStack?
Ibmrationalclearcase configmang  2x

Learning about Salt Stack?

SaltStack Reviews

Ask Salt Stack a Question
Showing 12 Salt Stack reviews
Salt Stack review by <span>Matteo P.</span>
Matteo P.

A stack of tools to use with a grain of salt

What do you like best?

The states defined are repeatable and can be used for production, to help a new come of the company to setup his or her development environment. Really useful to standardize build process and library, dependency and installation environments.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve is steep or at least it was for me, but I never used an automation software before. In the beginning it is hard to stop thinking the salt file as a procedure and start thinking at it as a wrapper for a list of possible states, like an automaton. Sadly was almost replaced by docker that does another job, but people do not get it and removes salt stack upon installing docker when, if combined, could do a lot.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Study and use it with docker

The project of our company has been automated and standardized across all the servers, developers etc of the company. This is a huge improvement because the problems start being common across the instances and not depending on a wrong config file that somehow got modified by somebody. Right Joe? We know it was you :-D

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about SaltStack
Salt Stack review by <span>Tobias M.</span>
Tobias M.

SaltStack is a great automation framework

What do you like best?

I like the flexibility and extensibility of the tool. It makes it easy to use it in whatever way you need. It can be used for deploying servers and cloud services, orchestrating complex environments, and automatically resolving issues. It is also fast and highly scalable because it is an event-based execution engine at its core. The layered nature of the tool also makes it easy to use only the pieces that are relevant to your environment.

What do you dislike?

It has a number of sharp edges due to the large number of people contributing to it. The community formulas are also of variable quality.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a great tool. I recommend starting small and experimenting with setting up a single server and then reading through the documentation and tutorials to see how you can leverage the master server to turn it into a full fledged orchestration tool.

I am using it to manage all of my cloud environments and server configurations. It has made it possible to control all of my infrastructure with one tool.

What Configuration Management solution do you use?

Salt Stack review by <span>Jonathan H.</span>
Jonathan H.

Saltstack is a powerful tool and a must in our environments!

What do you like best?

What is there not to like about Saltstack? It's fast, powerful and has a great community. There are a lot of modules and examples out there. I would rather use Salt instead of puppet any day because of the simple approach of writing states.

What do you dislike?

The documentation for more advanced states and pillars is almost non-existent. Once you start to work with Jinja templating you are kind of on your own (but Jinja's own documentation is even worse).

I would love to see some more advanced samples in the documentation to showcase the true power off working with jinja in pillars and states.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You may hear from people that "Puppet" or "Ansible" is "the best". I would say that none of them are best, but I would recommend using salt for your environments, what you like is up to you, not me. Feel free to use the tool that you like, but I think you should give Saltstack a try!

Consistency - All systems matches what's stated in the top file.

Security - Deploying accounts and SSH-keys with ease.

Updates - We use custom made scripts to take care of updates and reporting back from apt, yum and even Windows update.

Emergency patching - We use slat as an easy way of checking if any of our systems are vulnerable to the latest 0-day exploits. By using salt we can easily generate a list and export it to our preferred type of output (JSON) and then use salt to patch the affected machines.

Salt Stack review by <span>Cameron H.</span>
Cameron H.

Great Remote Execution - Business Model and Bugs not so great

What do you like best?

I love the ability to remotely execute code using Salt. It has made our lives easier when doing code deploys without having a full CM implemented.

I am using salt on a daily basis through our salt master.

What do you dislike?

The bugs that go unaddressed or get worse with each release. When setting grains it sucks to have to manually restart a minion to get a grain to set.

The security issues as well are starting to pile up enough to make me rethink using salt in a production environment.

Some jobs now hang when executing and there is no recovery for that.

The list keeps getting larger as new releases come out.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look for security issues like ZeroMQ and minion response problems before going with this system.

We utilize Salt to manage our releases and to a lesser degree as a CM tool. We have fully realized benefits of dropping our release time down to half but as bugs come in those benefits are going away.

Salt Stack review by <span>Gaël A.</span>
Gaël A.

Powerfull but yet still young

What do you like best?

With a comprehensive documentation and easy to use and to start examples Saltstack could be your new orchestration tool. Easy to take in hand, available through their owns debian repos, it's easy to install and to take your first step with it.

It's a bliss to have the master and the clients (called minions) to be connected together. In a few minutes you can start deploying configurations, files and monitor services against a lot of machines.

What do you dislike?

There is few to no examples for advanced uses. The documentation is not clear about certain terms, and some uses need more explanations for newcomers.

There is a lot of tutorials about the basics uses of Saltstack but the articles and writings dealing with advanced uses are insufficient.

The community support is not good with no to few responses onto irc channels.

Some modules lack of functionalities or at least of comprehensives examples.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you don't have to provision your own private cloud through it go for it. Otherwise it will be a hassle to have a fine/advanced virtual network configuration. You will not have vms up and running in a bliss.

If you're in the need of : sharing files and configs, monitor services and applications through multiple host, saltstack is your solution !

Orchestrations, and provisioning of vms. I'm using the saltvirt module to create build and configure vms onto a Debian kvmhost. In the end I'll get a private cloud in which a new vm could be up and running in one command.

I'm using the community edition so it's free but some support may be purchased.

Salt Stack review by User in Computer Software

Many problems, and deploys need multiple runs

What do you like best?

I really can't think of many things I like about SatlStack. It is such a poor execution of a Puppet/Chef replacement. While some people tout speed and scalability, I haven't seen much of those gains. I am using an older version of Salt, but that largely is its own fault. If I could upgrade, which I can't due to incompatibilities between salt versions.

What do you dislike?

I can name several things.

* The biggest one is that I often have to redeploy changes 2 or more times. this mostly has to do with Salt's brain-dead implementation of git.

* It's error messages and output is often cryptic and meaningless. Debugging Salt scripts are difficult, and often require me to use shell commands or scripts to print out custom debug information

* Its targeting semantics are difficult to get right.

* Module output description names (especially when trying to find problems) often to match anything like the repository layout or file names.

* Salt 2015 to later versions is not a simple upgrade. Salt completely changed the syntax of their file structure and their modules. So any large project is likely to be stuck running old buggy versions since the change effort to upgrade is not trivial.

* Output from a run on the Salt master is different than if ran on the individual servers using salt-call. This causes us to do the one thing that this tool is supposed to solve, which is having to run changes on each server independently.

* failed changes on one server can leave your infrastructure in a mixed and inconsistent state.

There are more points, but these are the top ones.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just choose Ansible, and get on with your work.

Saltstack was chosen and implemented by a predecessor, and it has been the single thing that has wasted the largest amount of time in my limited work schedule. We manage mobile gaming services for multiple clients. Most of these clients create billions of requests per second to our infrastructure.

Learning about SaltStack?

* We monitor all SaltStack reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.