What do you like best?
As SAP is the backbone of many manufacturing business process, using SAP PLM gives a real time competiive advantages over other PLM packages available in the Market.
Here are few advantages
1. Materials and BOM are available in SAP evenbefore released and ready for production. This gives Purchasing/Supply Chain group to preview the upcoming material/BOM structure and initiate purchasing process for long lead time items.
2. This leverages the logical Cross functional integration points with other departments and good control on the activities(From Sales to Shipment) of the materials under various dispositions.
3. No need to worry about huge BOM data as these are created it SAP itself and SAP has various out of box BOM functionalities which reduces the development cost/time for implementation.
4. Mass change of Materials and BOMs are relatively easier than other PLM packages.
5. Easily configurable process and workflow which give flexibilities to the business process improvement.
What do you dislike?
1. Document view is widely open, anybody can open view actual file under the DIR, i.e. no out of box control on the visibility of the documents resides in the DMS.
2. Existence of Raw data (Materials/BOMs and Documents that are not required and created by mistake). No easy way delete those not required data and keep the system clean.
3. Lot of customization required to disposition materials in mass.
Recommendations to others considering the product
Very standard product with less customization required. Initial impelentation cost is high but easily integrated with other logical cross functional areas.
What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?
Reduced the cycle time for Material revision/disposition process and control of other cross functional activities for materials under revision.
The SAP PLM implementation has simplified the approval process and significantly reduced the cycle time for disposition of a material and PLM process was able to control the all activities( Sales/Procurement/Manufcaturing/shipment) of all kinds of material types.