SAP SQL Anywhere

SAP SQL Anywhere SQL database management software keeps data synchronized with thousands of mobile devices or remote offices, so that all business users can access vital data – anytime, anywhere.

Work for SAP SQL Anywhere?
Solarwinds review  2x

Learning about SAP SQL Anywhere?

SAP SQL Anywhere Reviews

Ask SAP SQL Anywhere a Question
Showing 22 SAP SQL Anywhere reviews
SAP SQL Anywhere review by <span>ROGER T.</span>
ROGER T.

Junk. Don't bother.

What do you like best?

I don't even know if I can answer this. I seriously can't think of anything positive to say about this software.

What do you dislike?

Everything. The database manager (which in the MS SQL world would be the management studio express clone) is clunky, and it can't even restart the database successfully. I always have to kill the database service in task manager. I bought the newest version in 2016, it was very expensive, and it has never really run right. Did I mention the automated backup service seems to stop on its own? Here's another tidbit: when you run an update query in the Query Anallyzer (the thing you use to run queries against it), it will lock the table completely and prevent changes to it unless you disconnect from it! But it wont tell you that.. I had a problem and needed to contact support once and was stuck waiting for tier 2 to call me back, only to be told that I need tier 3 to call me back. My entire company was down for about 3 hours thanks to the bureaucracy that is known as SAP.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Dont bother. Use Microsoft SQL Server. It's eons ahead of this.

I seriously did not like this product and would not recommend it solve anyone's problems.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about SAP SQL Anywhere
SAP SQL Anywhere review by <span>David M W.</span>
David M W.

Good database, crummy tools

What do you like best?

I like that SQL Anywhere is an enterprise database system and there is a lot of support and documentation available on the Internet.

I do come from a SQL Server background but I've found SQL Anywhere pretty easy to get used to, with only minimal help needed online.

What do you dislike?

The tools are poor!

Seriously, in the Interactive SQL editor you cannot highlight a portion of text and only execute that. If you have other queries in the same editor window, highlighted or not, it will try to run them.

It shows numbers with commas in them by default - but not everything is money, SAP - what about primary key ID fields? They look weird with commas.

Interactive SQL and Sybase Central will both remember previous hostnames but not credentials. You can't effortlessly save logins for re-opening.

Ultimately, I can't really recommend the tools at all ... find a better third-party solution ...

Recommendations to others considering the product

Find a good third-party SQL tool.

We didn't implement SQL Anywhere per se, it comes as the database used by a product we use, so I am administering it as a consequence of that.

However, the business problem in general was for a line-of-business app and we selected the one we did partially because it used a proper enterprise database engine.

What Relational Databases solution do you use?

SAP SQL Anywhere review by Internal Consultant in Aviation & Aerospace
Internal Consultant in Aviation & Aerospace

SAP SMP/SUP was useful for developing services and syncing mobile packages.

What do you like best?

Valuable Features:

SAP SMP/SUP was useful for developing services and syncing mobile packages.

&

Improvements to My Organization:

We used to design a mobile app for our application which integrates to SAP PI/ERP/CRM system.

What do you dislike?

Room for Improvement:

Performance issues when syncing the MBO packages to the server.

SQL Anywhere is used as the database server, in principle similar techniques could be applied on all other relational database systems including SAP HANA, SAP ASE, SAP IQ, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, etc.SAP SQL Anywhere provides deadlock logging capabilities that allows users to captures valuable information needed for deadlock resolution. Deadlock logging is not turned on by default. An administrator needs to enable this either through Sybase Central or Interactive SQL.

SAP SQL Anywhere review by <span>Nosa W.</span>
Nosa W.

SAP SD Lead Consultant

What do you like best?

Gives you the flexibility to access SAP Tables from a data management point and other related field attributes attached to an SAP tables. Its integration with other interfaces and programs support makes it unique to Business Intelligent usage.

What do you dislike?

I think its a complex system, and also there are other tools that are more flexible.

Data Archiving, ability to trace data's that are outdated and ready for archiving or deletions.

Internal simulation of SQL procedures for data retrieval made available for external systems.

Large data reporting from different SAP tables.

SAP SQL Anywhere review by <span>Kishion G.</span>
Kishion G.

A fair SQL database management software

What do you like best?

The ability to host network database services and the ability to manage them.

What do you dislike?

Some features seem hard to use and does not have a clear reason what it is used for.

We utilize this software to be able to host our own software as a database service so that our customers can use.

SAP SQL Anywhere review by <span>Harshil S.</span>
Harshil S.

SQL Anywhere is light weight database for application like Business Objects

What do you like best?

It’s very handy and easy to manage as database is lightweight.

What do you dislike?

As of now I haven’t seen any difficulties with this database.

As we regularly took backup of SQL Anywhere database we had used it to restore on one of POC environment.

Learning about SAP SQL Anywhere?

* We monitor all SAP SQL Anywhere reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.