SAS Base

SAS Base is a programming language software that provides web-based programming interface; ready-to-use programs for data manipulation, information storage and retrieval, descriptive statistics and reporting; a centralized metadata repository; and a macro facility that reduces programming time and maintenance headaches.

Work for SAS Base?

Learning about SAS Base?

SAS Base Reviews

Showing 26 SAS Base reviews
SAS Base review by User in Internet
Validated Review
What do you like best?

I love that the coding language for SAS is consistent across similar types of functions, as well as that SAS has amazing documentation to look up any function or procedure, including examples. I learned SAS first in college, which does make me biased to liking the tool more, but there is so much more I can do in SAS than most other data analysis tools. R being open source makes it difficult for me to remember code across different functions (& you have to download packages that are already built in functions in SAS). Stata provides both the ability to write in the coding language & some drop-down functionality, but the user interface is not my favorite. SPSS is pretty much all drop-down/drag & drop, which winds up taking more time than necessary. Python I know is a favorite of many, but I like my old-school SAS. I can run SQL functions on data I have pulled from our database, & actually be able to see tables along the way in re-formatting & working with data, as well as create visual tools, which I can't do in the database with straight SQL. Overall, SAS for me is the most comprehensive data analysis tool out there.

What do you dislike?

It can eat up memory & space on your laptop if running directly on the computer, but if it is connected with a server, you can schedule code to run (even using a pass through to your database) to run data while not even in the office!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go online & use the examples & help others have posted, as well as SAS' own documentation

In all of my daily work I do & ad-hoc analyses, I find myself using SAS. I use it for reports, working more visually with data across many tables I have pulled from the database, modelling. & creating visuals.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about SAS Base
SAS Base review by <span>Lun l.</span>
Lun l.

a short SAS review

Validated Review
What do you like best?

Numerous build-in functions with strict standards and detailed references. Capability of doing complicated data analysis in a few lines of code.

What do you dislike?

The functions are too well-developed that sometimes it feels lack of freedom. Somewhat anti-intuitive sometimes who got used to the way of data manipulating in other languages such as python or R. Also trying to write a function for algorithms that is not already included in sas is painful.

I am doing some data analysis with SAS and one thing I've noticed is that the ability of repeating is very nice. The lack of freedom in SAS actually allows different people to reach to the same results.

0 of 0 found this helpful.

What Other Analytics solution do you use?

SAS Base review by <span>Erik G.</span>
Erik G.

Powerful SAS Tool

Validated Review
What do you like best?

Streamlined and not much in the way of frills. You set up your data, write your code, run it, and then view the output or pass it to another program for further analysis. It does this quickly and efficiently once you have everything set up properly.

What do you dislike?

Base SAS is a bit clunky to use - it feels somewhat dated as far as the interface is concerned and has a relatively steep learning curve (though that is as attributable to learning the language as it is this particular software). If you have problems, don't expect the software to give you much of a hand. You'll need to follow their online tutorials to learn the quirks of the program and how it's all laid out.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Practice SAS first - or at least brush up on it via online guides/tutorials. Familiarize yourself with the way Base SAS is set up. You'll need to know exactly what you're doing going in as there's not much room for fumbling around.

Processing large data sets by individually analyzing clients and slotting them into categories based on a broad range of criteria. This process is exceedingly quick in SAS, although it did take a bit of work to get it to that point.

SAS Base review by <span>Nisant P.</span>
Nisant P.
Validated Review

Great application for large datasets

Validated Review
What do you like best?

I use base SAS regularly when working with large datasets that Excel can't handle. I'd prefer the base version over Enterprise due it it's capability of handling raw code easier. The easy way it can integrate/output to excel is extremely helpful when working with people who don't use SAS.

What do you dislike?

Occasionally I wish it offered debug help like Enterprise SAS but I can work without that aspect. The licensing issues at work are the only major gripes.

Analyzing large data flat files in a timely manner and being able to sift thru it all make it worth using the application. More often then not I'm tasked with making large datasets easy to open and look at (summarized) for my coworkers and superiors. SAS is a God send.

SAS Base review by Administrator in Marketing and Advertising

SAS is am amazing analytical tool

Validated Review
What do you like best?

SAS is extremely good at what it does. It's flexibility in terms of being able to use programming syntax or something like Enterprise Guide to visually build process structure works extremely well for us. SAS is not for the feint of heart though. The learning curve was fairly steep even for our experienced analyst. But do not let that deter you. If is worth the time and effort to learn and unlock it's full potential.

What do you dislike?

Hands down this is the worst install we have ever dealt with. I really don't understand why these high end software manufacturers make installs that you need a degree to figure out. What is wrong with a typical, user friendly install process where you are walked through a wizard and all the heavy lifting is done behind the scenes? Maybe the main program install is not bad but once you start needing to customise or adoptions then it all goes to hell. Installing SAS/Access was even worse. If there is one thing I would say to SAS is to revisit the whole install process and try and make it better!

Recommendations to others considering the product

As I have mentioned before, the install is a real pain! But if you can see past that then the software itself is infinitely powerful. It does not come cheap however so you will need to have a reasonable yearly budget for the licensing.

We need analytics software that could handle large volumes of data, combined from a variety of sources and be able to manipulate and process it in very specific ways. The process would then need to be repeatable on a monthly or more basis with as little interaction with the software as possible. While it did take us some time to reach that final goal we now have refined things down with the help of SAS to do this processing each month in a very efficient way.

SAS Base review by User in Banking
User in Banking

Best data analyzing tool

Validated Review
What do you like best?

It is best for data analysis and for statistics. It is very good in handling large datasets and quickly gives you output for any analysis. SAS programming is easy to learn similar to SQL. The datasets can be easily exported to any format.

What do you dislike?

If you want to handle unstructured data then you need to go for test analytics tools, they are expensive and not very user friendly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For SAS this is the primary tool and it is more of manual thing you need to write lot of coding. If your good at SQL then it would be easy to use and play around with data. Installation is hard to do it, if your team have SAS admins then the job would be easy.

I work mostly on data analysis and do modeling. Apart form this do lot of data extraction and transforming the data in to different formats. Now i have been using SAS enterprise guide.

Learning about SAS Base?

* We monitor all SAS Base reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.