SAS Base

SAS Base is a programming language software that provides web-based programming interface; ready-to-use programs for data manipulation, information storage and retrieval, descriptive statistics and reporting; a centralized metadata repository; and a macro facility that reduces programming time and maintenance headaches.

Work for SAS Base?

Learning about SAS Base?

SAS Base Reviews

Showing 38 SAS Base reviews
SAS Base review by User in Internet

SAS - best tool for data analysis (in my opinion)

What do you like best?

I love that the coding language for SAS is consistent across similar types of functions, as well as that SAS has amazing documentation to look up any function or procedure, including examples. I learned SAS first in college, which does make me biased to liking the tool more, but there is so much more I can do in SAS than most other data analysis tools. R being open source makes it difficult for me to remember code across different functions (& you have to download packages that are already built in functions in SAS). Stata provides both the ability to write in the coding language & some drop-down functionality, but the user interface is not my favorite. SPSS is pretty much all drop-down/drag & drop, which winds up taking more time than necessary. Python I know is a favorite of many, but I like my old-school SAS. I can run SQL functions on data I have pulled from our database, & actually be able to see tables along the way in re-formatting & working with data, as well as create visual tools, which I can't do in the database with straight SQL. Overall, SAS for me is the most comprehensive data analysis tool out there.

What do you dislike?

It can eat up memory & space on your laptop if running directly on the computer, but if it is connected with a server, you can schedule code to run (even using a pass through to your database) to run data while not even in the office!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go online & use the examples & help others have posted, as well as SAS' own documentation

In all of my daily work I do & ad-hoc analyses, I find myself using SAS. I use it for reports, working more visually with data across many tables I have pulled from the database, modelling. & creating visuals.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about SAS Base
SAS Base review by User

Very useful for data cleaning and creating tables and quickly running statistical models

What do you like best?

Data cleaning is very easy to learn and very readable with good enough documentation. PROC SQL is very useful for joining and merging data. Can easily clean data then export it into a spreadsheet for use in a visualization software like Tableau.

What do you dislike?

Making data visualizations is much more difficult than it is in Tableau or R. Data visualizations are pretty ugly when you do make them. Writing functions and using functions is not as readable as it is in a language like R. R and Tableau have better documentation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for data cleaning and making tables and running statistical models, but Tableau and R are way better for actually getting the data into a more interpretable visualized form .

Data cleaning, running predictive and explanatory models for public health research/epidemiology

What Other Analytics solution do you use?

SAS Base review by <span>Lun l.</span>
Lun l.

a short SAS review

What do you like best?

Numerous build-in functions with strict standards and detailed references. Capability of doing complicated data analysis in a few lines of code.

What do you dislike?

The functions are too well-developed that sometimes it feels lack of freedom. Somewhat anti-intuitive sometimes who got used to the way of data manipulating in other languages such as python or R. Also trying to write a function for algorithms that is not already included in sas is painful.

I am doing some data analysis with SAS and one thing I've noticed is that the ability of repeating is very nice. The lack of freedom in SAS actually allows different people to reach to the same results.

SAS Base review by <span>Erik G.</span>
Erik G.

Powerful SAS Tool

What do you like best?

Streamlined and not much in the way of frills. You set up your data, write your code, run it, and then view the output or pass it to another program for further analysis. It does this quickly and efficiently once you have everything set up properly.

What do you dislike?

Base SAS is a bit clunky to use - it feels somewhat dated as far as the interface is concerned and has a relatively steep learning curve (though that is as attributable to learning the language as it is this particular software). If you have problems, don't expect the software to give you much of a hand. You'll need to follow their online tutorials to learn the quirks of the program and how it's all laid out.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Practice SAS first - or at least brush up on it via online guides/tutorials. Familiarize yourself with the way Base SAS is set up. You'll need to know exactly what you're doing going in as there's not much room for fumbling around.

Processing large data sets by individually analyzing clients and slotting them into categories based on a broad range of criteria. This process is exceedingly quick in SAS, although it did take a bit of work to get it to that point.

SAS Base review by <span>Nisant P.</span>
Nisant P.

Great application for large datasets

What do you like best?

I use base SAS regularly when working with large datasets that Excel can't handle. I'd prefer the base version over Enterprise due it it's capability of handling raw code easier. The easy way it can integrate/output to excel is extremely helpful when working with people who don't use SAS.

What do you dislike?

Occasionally I wish it offered debug help like Enterprise SAS but I can work without that aspect. The licensing issues at work are the only major gripes.

Analyzing large data flat files in a timely manner and being able to sift thru it all make it worth using the application. More often then not I'm tasked with making large datasets easy to open and look at (summarized) for my coworkers and superiors. SAS is a God send.

SAS Base review by <span>Arthur T.</span>
Arthur T.

Essential tool for all analytical professionals

What do you like best?

The wide range of capabilities and, even though it has always been able to do what I need, its increased functionality each year.

What do you dislike?

Cost and the fact that I would like to see it contain some additional features that are currently only available with extra modules (specifically, SAS/Access, IML and Graph).

Recommendations to others considering the product

SAS Base is the essential base tool needed in order to use the more advanced capabilities that offered by other SAS modules, but its own capabilities are so substantial that I have seldom needed any other software to prepare data for analysis.

SAS Base is the principal tool I've used for solving all business problems over the past 40+ years,

Learning about SAS Base?

* We monitor all SAS Base reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.