Schoology

Schoology has redefined the LMS to make online education a collective effort and to increase the overall impact of everyone involved in a student's education.

Work for Schoology?

Learning about Schoology?

Schoology Reviews

Showing 129 Schoology reviews
Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Schoology
Schoology review by Cris R.
Cris R.

"Very convenient program in training"

What do you like best?

I like to use this solution because the design of this service is extremelly simple to use. It has excellent ability to support our corporate education system, and I think this is a better feauture. I think this is the best way to make a target rating that is monitored from one main position and delivered in a standard workflow. This is a useful tool for teachers. I can integrate quizzes and the class book. Students can store their resources for research projects, and I can share links with them so they can access the house.

What do you dislike?

As for me, I have everything I need from this software. The whole process is super fast and organized.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We trust this platform because of its preventive design. It provides an opportunity to support our methods and new trainings, as well as its powerful integration. We like it.

With this platform, you can easily find out all the important information about your audience. You can create simple steps of information about what you should do next. Powerful tools to provide the right audience program. This is a very convenient platform and has great potential once you master the basics.

What Learning Management System (LMS) solution do you use?

Schoology review by Hope E.
Hope E.

"The only LMS to meet your K-12 needs"

What do you like best?

Schoology is intuitive and easy to use. It is the only LMS that is appropriate for K-12. Both the students and teachers enjoy using it. The parents like how they are kept informed by Schoology. The free app is also a big bonus. Teachers can grade from it, students can check information and parents can stay on top of what their students are doing. Schoology is also image friendly. That is one of the reasons it is so good for younger grades.

What do you dislike?

New features take a while to become fully functioning. There are using a bit of bugs to work out. Sometimes you need to wait to roll them out, because of the initial bugs and problems.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Schoology may not be perfect, but they do listen to feedback and diligently work on improving.

We are reaching all of our students with Schoology. It has made our 1:1 computer integration successful and student engagement has increased by leaps and bounds.

Schoology review by Norbert M.
Norbert M.

"Great and very comfortable with learning."

What do you like best?

I guess it is the better way of making an aimed rating that is controlled from one main position and delivered in the standard workflow. I like to use that solution because of learning design, its perfect ability to support our useful and new system, and I guess its better future.

What do you dislike?

Really nothing bad about this platform I don't see. As for me, I have everything that I need from that software. All process is super fast and organized.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend this software to you. With this platform, you will easily know all important information about your audience. Also, you will have a chance to increase the students' education. The ability to have open subjects about education qualification. You will concentrate and have the ability to increase all study process.

Actually, its perfect platform which allows to us have nice learning control system that has all the important tools. We have perfect chance to build content, design lessons, and make learning conception.

Schoology review by Maryanna F.
Maryanna F.

"All You Need for teaching in service"

What do you like best?

Schoology is popular with everyone, for students, teachers, and parents. Everyone will find a large number of pluses for themselves. Students like quality interesting lessons. You can continue chatting after classes and ask questions at any time. Students are captivated by the work and communication in Schoology, as it is like communicating in the social networks that are familiar to them. Teachers also like this service for high-quality work, modern and easy interface, a large number of interesting and important tools for work and for an ability to work with different documents. In addition, parents love Schoology, because they can control their children, learn their progress, attend lessons, schedule, etc.

What do you dislike?

Indeed, there are functions that need to be improved, for example, the mobile application is slightly behind the desktop version. Also chatting sometimes hangs, but despite all this, I like to use. Schoology has all I need to work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This platform is qualitative, good and easy. Most importantly than Schoology is interesting for the students.

Working in Schoology is a pleasure. We discuss the material with the students. Honestly, even those who often skipped classes began to visit them more often, because they also want to take part in fascinating conversations, disputes, and games. The product is good, but it all depends on the teacher.

Schoology review by Nancy  R.
Nancy R.

"Schoology (Enterprise Version) - Almost Perfect"

What do you like best?

Schoology is an LMS and like many LMS' it does an excellent job at creating a place where users can communicate and exchange classroom resources and or ideas. The ability to upload a variety of file types and organize items through the use of folders in courses or groups makes finding items easy for members. Courses offer a gradebook, a space for material organization, and updates to ensure that communication between parents, teachers, and students is at the users fingertips.

What do you dislike?

While the "look" is reminiscent of the early stages of Facebook, which makes it very user friendly and intuitive. The "feel" of Schoology definitely lacks much needed simple commands and tasks that have not been addressed since the launch of Schoology based on feedback found in the Schoology help center by the schoology community. A few specific examples: the inability to edit or delete update attachments, inability to create a blank student roster with a native Schoology button, just to name a few.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Compare as many LMS' as you can, and definitely have teachers on board to pilot the item, using real students whenever possible.

Our school district needed a true Learning Management, which is why we adopted Schoology Enterprise. One of the main benefits district wide has been transparency by all users: parents, students, and teachers.

Schoology review by Emily S.
Emily S.

"So many features and easy to learn"

What do you like best?

You can do so much with it. I'm not a teacher so I don't use it like most would. I use it to train and share information with teachers. I can post files (and connect OneDrive), make quizzes, get instant data on my "students", share information, make discussions, etc. It is great fr our actually students who will have to learn how to use similar learning management systems in college.

What do you dislike?

I'm really trying to think of things I don't like but I'm not coming up with anything. Again, I don't use it like a teacher would. I'm sure they could come up with a list of features they want. Even then, Schoology is always upping their game by adding new features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really invest in it and roll it out well. If teachers know it is going to stick around, they will invest in learning how to use it and implementing it into their classrooms.

I can get information out to teams of people very quickly and easily and interact with them even when we can't find time to meet face-to-face. Sharing resources got so much easier when our school invested in Schoology.

Schoology review by Kelli R.
Kelli R.

"Schoology"

What do you like best?

As a teacher - it is very easy for me to post assignments , grades, and resources for students and parents. As a parent - this is VERY CONFUSING!!!!! It does appear to be like a "facebook" type of feed, but there are lots of information that is posted that you would have to change your settings. I do like that my children's accounts can be linked into one and that I can message a teacher from the site. As a teacher - parents do not check at the younger grades. It is easier send an email to parents to share important information.

What do you dislike?

Parents do not utilize Schoology at the younger grades. There needs to be training in how to use the program for teachers and parents. Seeing student's grades/report cards you have to click on lots of links just to get information. I want to be able to see an entire report card with comments and grades on one page similar to Progress Book. Site is very confusing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Not recommended for younger grades - good fit for middle school and high school students/parents

It is similar to a Facebook type feed so it is a very easy format that is familiars to families.

Schoology review by Jesica B.
Jesica B.

"Very good platform to increase our education skills. "

What do you like best?

I like the open way of education session. I can make productive work. To make my lessons interesting to my audience. The easy way to be more bright at knowledge. I like that I can increase education level.

What do you dislike?

A good solution to sort out a lot of information. I have nothing negative about this software. To learn about that product is quite simple. Everything in the right place. A lot of information is coming and time to time cant find the right page which I necessary need.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The software is wonderful. Very good to know all information about students. The ability to have open subjects about education skills. Gives a right to control all students progress. You can create easy steps of information what to follow next. Powerful tools to give a right program to the audience.

The very good way to work with that software. The ability to work on new learning system. Very strong integration of knowledge. We are working with higher trust. And completely sure that this big step in learning system will make a big change.

Schoology review by Amanda L.
Amanda L.

"Schoology: An sophisticated LMS"

What do you like best?

As an avid user of Schoology, I thoroughly enjoy the functionality of the assessment feature. Schoology's app is also extremely attractive compared to other LMS programs.

What do you dislike?

I have reached out to Schoology several times about allowing teachers to pay individually for Schoology.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Schoology is a reliable LMS. However, the app occasionally experiences some issues. I found the website Schoology.com extremely efficient. There have been instances when the website has gone down, but overall, Schoology provides frequent input about when the site will be updated. I have also participated in several Schoology surveys, which clearly demonstrates that they care about the user feedback. The Schoology groups are also incredibly helpful. Anyone new to using Schoology should join the community of users on the Schoology Educators group. The group includes a diverse array of Schoology users (both Enterprise and Basic) that help troubleshoot and share instructional materials. It is a wonderful resource.

As an avid user of Schoology, I thoroughly enjoy the functionality of the assessment feature. Having explored many other online quiz and assessment websites, I strongly recommend this platform due to its various features that simply not offered on other tools without having to pay for them. Schoology connects to other instructional apps like Back Channel, Khan Academy, and Youtube. Overall, Schoology is reliable and includes many features that Google Suite does not offer.

Schoology review by Birte F.
Birte F.

"Handy tool to track grades and assignments"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of connecting assignments and grades into the Gradebook.

I also like that parents can access their kid's grades at any time even though not all parents have signed up.

What do you dislike?

Once you have a lot of data (grades) it takes a while to load the most recent entry columns.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a very user friendly platform and has a lot of potential once you have mastered the basics. It requires some training but it can make assessing across multiple groups and planning for a team very easy.

I am looking forward to exploring the tools more and creating more assessments with rubrics that can save paper and make grading and marking easier for years to come.

We are tracking students' progress through a standards based grading system. This program enables us to track their progress while sharing it with their parents in real-time.

Schoology review by Tanya S.
Tanya S.

"Schoology has changed my life as a teacher"

What do you like best?

It allows me to communicate more efficiently with parents and to eliminate excuses from students. It makes my students more productive when I am out with a sub - instruction and learning can continue because it is like I am there.

What do you dislike?

I wish that our district SIS was more compatible with Schoology. This is an issue on the SIS side not Schoology.I would like to see Schoology be able to handle PEIMS submissions so it would take the place of the SIS.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is the easiest and most user friendly LMS around. It is a game changer.

Students lose less time when absent because all materials are accessible 24/7. Parents have more responsibility and access to their students work because they see everything their student sees. I like how FERPA rights are protected with what parents see when they log in.

Schoology review by Tracy B.
Tracy B.

"Easy to use for students and teachers"

What do you like best?

It is easy to use and syncs with our student information system, really like to integration with Google and Google Drive. Schoology makes putting assignments, tests, and quizzes online easy for the teacher. You can archive your assignments to use for future use. The administrative setup is very easy. We use PowerSchool as our student information system and we have had no issues syncing user data as well as syncing our gradebook with Schoology. Our teachers use Schoology daily.

What do you dislike?

Some times there are syncing errors, syncing users can be tricky when using Google Sync. There isn't much to not like about this program. It is a little expensive but they keep adding features which helps with the cost.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a Google Apps for Education school this would be a great addition to your students and staff.

Easy access to assignments and tests. The new integration with Google Drive has been a great addition for teachers and students. Teachers can create a Google Doc for all students to use, the student then automatically makes a copy of that document and can use the document for essays, discussions, or collaborations with other students. The document then gets sent and submitted to the teacher. It shows the date and time the document was submitted just like a normal assignment. All of our teachers have been impressed with this new feature especially since we are a Google Apps for Education school.

Schoology review by Tami H.
Tami H.

"Cutting Edge LMS: Schoology"

What do you like best?

We transitioned to the Schoology LMS last spring and our staff and students love the platform. It is very teacher and student friendly. The gradebook is versatile gives real-time reports with meaningful information for both staff and students.

The leadership team at Schoology is proactive and listen to the needs of their customers. They roll out new features frequently and seek advice from key stakeholders.

What do you dislike?

I would like to see a way to roll out curriculum edits from a district level to all courses using the materials and assessments in an easy manner. So far this is not available if you are allowing access via the smartphone apps for students.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have worked with several other LMS platforms and just completed my Ed.D. which required work in several platforms. I have found Schoology to be the most pleasant to engage with as an administrator of curriculum, teacher, and student.

The LMS allows us to roll out curriculum to schools in multiple states and manage resources and reports. Students and staff love that it models current social media interface patterns. Teachers like that they can communicate with students and even send them a recorded video with feedback if the student is unable to be in class for awhile.

Administrator in Primary/Secondary Education

"Schoology - good for grades and assignments"

What do you like best?

I appreciate the ability to view all of my students, and give assignments that they can submit through the portal and immediately receive a grade. It also gives students a place to collect and organize all their learning materials, and access resources whenever they'd like. It has an interface much like Facebook, thus making it intuitive and easy to use among all generations. I especially enjoy and appreciate the assessment features of Schoology. I'ma able to proctor exams through the website, as well as easily grade the exams. It's green friendly in the fact that I no longer use paper in my classes.

What do you dislike?

It frequently will crash or delete students, and needs to be managed by my district's IT department. At times it also will log out some users and delete content. It also lacks many simple features that would allow for an easier experience.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You certainly should look into Schoology, but investigate the resources that your school has. If you could afford something more, then maybe you should upgrade.

It's an easier way to manage my thirty-eight students. I've benefited from the ability to grade my students immediately and have their grades updated on a weekly basis, for the student's and their parent's sake. No longer is there the need to have face-to-face dialogue as students are able to see how they have scored and why they scored the way that they did.

Schoology review by Laura J.
Laura J.

"Schoology as a Learning Management Platform"

What do you like best?

I appreciate that Schoology can be the "one stop shop" for my students throughout their entire school day. Assignments, quizzes, discussion forums, media albums, portfolios, links, videos, and files can all be listed and accessed through Schoology and several sites (such as Padlet and YouTube) embed their content right into the page.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that currently, in the iPad version, there isn't a way for students to see a list of their missing assignments. It would be extremely beneficial to add this. Also parents seem to have a difficult time navigating Schoology and finding the information they need-- we hear many parent complaints but it could just be because we have only been using the program for going on 4 years now. Additionally I have found that the app, especially on mobile devices, could be more user-friendly and aesthetically pleasing. On some pages, a desktop view is the only option, with tiny print and buttons. It should be upgraded to have maximum functionality as an app, especially because this is the way that the majority of the users in our district use it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Schoology has all the functionality of Google classroom with more features. This teacher definitely recommends it!

It is easy to collaborate as a grade level team and share resources through Schoology. I am also able to communicate with parents and students, upload content, grade student submissions and create personalized learning experiences for my students through the platform of Schoology.

Schoology review by Lin N.
Lin N.

"The fast and better way to learning."

What do you like best?

With this software, I and my audience can have a centralized place to continue important discussions after class. Much better to increase connection and sharing via departments.

What do you dislike?

Nothing to add bad about the work with this platform. It is very open subject and doesn't have any problems at all.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The wonderful platform which will bring a lot of help. With this software, you can simply to make an objectives-aligned rating that is controllable from one central position and delivered in the normal course workflow.

For sure, it makes learning and training simpler, much easy. I can say that it makes flexible, self-paced courses. We can control and track all our progress. Also, we can create a better data-informed resolution. The great platform which helps us to grow employee engagement.

Schoology review by Brittany B.
Brittany B.

"Schoology Review"

What do you like best?

Schoology is a great resource to use to keep the digital side of one's classroom organized and regulated. Teachers, students, and parents, alike, can join the class with a special code so that every member is always in the loop regarding what is going on in class.

What do you dislike?

Schoology is not always the easiest tool for people to learn. Now that I have become familiar with it, it is useful for me, but for parents/ students, I have found that some may struggle with getting the hang of accessing the tools they need through the program.

Now that education is becoming increasingly more dependent on technology, this is a great tool to use to help students succeed since all of the materials, assignments, grades, etc., are in one place.

Schoology review by Chang B.
Chang B.

"The best learning system"

What do you like best?

Most what I like that a great way of the education session. Gives me a chance to make my teaching and the pupils learning stronger. Easy to use. Making a cooperative way of learning.

What do you dislike?

I like that software. I have nothing bad to say about the platform. We are working on that solution and it's quite nice. Yes, sometimes I have confused about how to find some page which I need.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for students and gives perfect way to check their progress, will be easy to see what will come next. Everything what you will need for teaching. I recommend it.

We trust that platform because of its preventative design. Gives the ability to support our methods and new teaching, and its powerful integration.We like it.

Schoology review by Kurtis W.
Kurtis W.

"Schoology is Worth the Money Comparing to Google Classroom"

What do you like best?

Schoology offers teachers an interactive classroom management tool for assignments and submissions that is easy to use.

What do you dislike?

Schoology does not have a spell check factor and it can be disheartening when putting together lesson goals, objectives, and directions in an assignment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pros: As a teacher I really like this program (there is also an app for Android and IPhones). This allows parnets in Schoolog to keep track of their child's grade and puts accountability of the big three - teachers, students, and parents. The timestamp feature allows me to see EXACTLY when assignments have been completed. A grading system is available, although it is not utilized by our school district.Quizzes and tests and other assessments (inlcuding rubrics) can be created with Schoology. I have especially enjoyed the "Archives" section where I can search through assignments that I did last year, copy & paste, and then make improvements year-in/year-out. The interface looks similar to Facebook and easy to navigate on a computer.

Cons: None of the parents really talk about the App or the ease of use that Schoology represents on the computer. Rubrics and tests can be cumbersome to create and there is no spell check for typing purposes! When Google Slides is uploaded it generally has some formatting errors too. My school district has not implemented a connection with Infinite Campus (I'm not sure if PowerSchools does). Therefore, current grades, absences & lateness, and homework assignments are all posted in Infiniate Campus and not Schoology - even though those features are avaialble.

Overall: - An excellent educational tool that allows for accountability on all grounds.

Schoology is meant for more educational institutions. However, data can be collected with Schoology in a variety of ways.

Schoology review by Erika M.
Erika M.

"Schoology Review"

What do you like best?

I love how easy Schoology is to use, and how it is a "one stop shop" as far as teaching goes. I can assign and collect homework, post updates, communicate with students, give quizzes and tests, and track grades and data.

What do you dislike?

There really isn't anything I dislike about Schoology; it is one of my favorite teaching tools.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you understand all of the capabilities of Schoology; don't sell yourself short when using it! There are so many features that will make your teaching life much easier.

Teaching has become much easier with Schoology. Schoology eliminates having to manually collect papers, and it solves the issue of students claiming they turned something in when they did not. I can track when students open assignments, when they submit, and the assignments are there all year long, so I can refer back to the assignments for data tracking at any time. It is a wonderful way to keep myself and students organized.

Schoology review by Administrator in Education Management
Administrator in Education Management

"Schoology's Classroom Applications"

What do you like best?

Schoology Streamlines the teaching process on many different levels. It allows me to layer more peer to peer interaction, immediately assess my students and also puts my mind at easy when I need a substitute teacher in the classroom. Schoology has made my life so much easier in many circumstances and I will continue to use it to enhance my students learning experience.

A feature of schoology I have begun to use this year involves creating discussion threads for most of my sections of Psychology. I am able to pose a discussion question in relation to the units subject matter and allow students to continue their discussions outside of the classroom. This allows me to not only supplement what we cover in class, but also move the curriculum forward under the rigors of an AP schedule. The discussion thread is also made easy to assess from the teachers point of view. I can simply select a students name and see exactly what/when they have written their threads.

I begin and end each class with an assessment for my students. I used to have students journal their responses and would have to wait until class was over to assess their responses. Now, with schoology I can see their response appear in real time as they are completing the assessment. Each student's name appears as they finish and I can change the entire dynamic of my lesson based on their response. I can modify if they are struggling with a concept or redirect in the right direction if they are struggling. This tool is invaluable for a teacher who needs to modify on the fly.

The ability to create and post assignments when I am not able to attend school has been life saving. Instead of relying on a substitute that is not qualified to teach my subject to drive the curriculum I can communicate with students through the schoology messenger, provide assignments, insert videos/'links or even provide notes for that days lesson. With an infant at home who gets sick often, it has been an immense help keeping my AP/IB Curriculum moving in the right direction.

The final keynote I would like to end on in this review has to be the time schoology has saved me. I no longer run off copies of material and no longer have to grade by hand. I have cut my prep time for each of my courses in half because each courses material is kept in the "resources" section of my schoology account. Each year I simply go into my resources to add each days assignment and material. I also grade all of my essays on schoology while using the turnitin.com app. This allows me to not only grade quickly using the rubrics have saved in my schoology resources, but allows me to simultaneously check for plagiarism.

Schoology has changed the way I reach my students and has saved me an incredible amount of time in my preparation for teaching. I use it daily and plan to use it in the unforeseeable future.

What do you dislike?

Honestly there is not a whole lot not to like. Currently my district has purchased the enterprise package which links our power school grade book to schoology. I have yet to connect the two as I am a bit weary of the connection and whether I lose my grades in one, that I will lose my grades in both. Therefore, I still transfer my grades from schoology to powerschool manually, which doesn't take me any more time then it did when I was transferring it from hard copy assignments.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Saves time and allows for much better instruction.

Faster/Real Time Assessment

Modify Lesson Planning on the Fly

More Peer to Peer Interaction

Less Prep time organizing hard copy material

Easier to connect with an entire class or section

Every Lesson/Assignment is stored for later use

Less time grading tests/essays

"Better than Blackboard"

What do you like best?

The best part of Schoology is that it lists upcoming due dates on the far right side, which takes you to a full calendar with each of your papers or assignments listed in calendar layout. I also like that I can choose my notification settings, so I can choose to receive emails about messages that have been sent to me, but to not be notified directly for other things, such as grade input or new documents uploaded.

What do you dislike?

There's not much to dislike regarding Schoology. I've found it very user-friendly and easy to learn. I do not use the app, so I cannot speak for that, but I do wish that the app required less memory so it could easily fit my phone's available space.

Schoology has made it easy to communicate across classes, both to professors and the entire cohort. With the availability of forums and connection to Turn-It-In, it has made schoolwork more consolidated because all of our assignments are doable or able to be turned in on the same platform of Schoology.

"I Love Schoology "

What do you like best?

As an Educator, there are so many benefits of using Schoology. I personally believe that Schoology appeals to our new generation of students because it resembles social media outlets that they are familiar with. I love the fact that you can personalize courses and groups to meet your needs.You can download apps to add to your course that make your class more personal. I downloaded a backchannel chat app to my courses which allows me to have a discussion with my students in the form of an instant messenger. This really appeals to students and they look forward to working on it every day.

What do you dislike?

I do believe that there are several things that the platform can improve on. A lot of schools are still using Chromebooks and Google and I do not believe that Schoology and Google are 100% compatible. A student has to download items as alternate files before they can upload them to assignments on Schoology. I also wish that the format was a little softer. It resembles Facebook back in 2009 and I think it should have a makeover to meet the minimalist needs of the up and coming generation.

The great part about Schoology is that the entire institution can use it as a learning platform as it meets the needs of all teachers across departments.

User in Education Management

"I enjoy that I can upload and receive assignments, tests and activities all in one place. "

What do you like best?

I love that I can put a test on Schoology and I can decide how I want it grades or if I want it averaged into a multiple attempt situation. I also love that I can give students the option to take an assessment over and fix their mistakes digitally. No more papers to grade!!

What do you dislike?

I dislike that I cannot share activeinspire flip charts. The files cannot be supported by Schoology and they are too large. It would be nice to be able to use the progressive flipped classroom model and I simply cannot do that with Schoology.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It’s a life saver. It stops me from having piles stack up and tons to grade. I love it.

It saves me a ton of time grading and passing out assessments and assignments. It also allows students to work remotely such as on the bus or at home using the app. It has made my life much easier with grading as the students have instant feedback on multiple choice questions. Furthermore, it has saved me from having to use so much paper! I can use the same or edited assignments for all of my class sections without ever running to the copier because I was one or two short.

Administrator in Primary/Secondary Education

"Easy to communicate with students"

What do you like best?

I like the student calendar best so I can post assignments and send alerts to my classes

What do you dislike?

Students can turn off email alerts, so unless they sign in, they won't see my posts. Additionally, Schoology is not compatible with the grading management software we use (Aspen) so teachers have to double enter data. Finally, some teachers are beginning to like Google Classroom more, and since we are google user school, Google classroom fits nicely with a lot of other programs we use in the Google Suite.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Is it easy to go back and forth from other programs you use, or will students have to log on to many different programs?

The problem it is solving is that it helps is with our blended learning. We can do so much on Schoology (discussions, assignment submissions, and posting directions, examples, lessons) and it's great for students who are absent too. They can log in and see what happened in class.

Schoology review by Annemarie R.
Annemarie R.

"Useful tool for educators"

What do you like best?

This is a useful tool for educators. I am able to integrate quizzes and the grade book. Students can store their resources for research projects and I can share links with them that they can access at home. After reading an article, students can answer questions on a discussion board. The students state, it feels like Facebook. The discussion boards are great for sharing ideas throughout the district. Presenters can follow-up with attendees of workshops as well. Additionally, my colleagues and I are able to share lesson plans and other resources. This can easily help an office transition to a paperless system. In fact, we no longer print out multiple copies of plans to share with supervisors. Each grade level has a folder in which to drop plans so they can be reviewed.

What do you dislike?

There is a learning curve that some staff members are not willing to overcome.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you utilize Schoology, make sure staff is given plenty of professional development not only in the logging in and setting up but also in the optimization of use even with elementary students. Too often staff is handed a new tool and expected to use it but not given hands on training in a timely manner.

This has been helpful in reducing the amount of paper we need. Collaboration can occur across the district. it minimizes the number of meetings the staff needs to have.

Schoology review by Dan T.
Dan T.

"Everything in one place!"

What do you like best?

Schoology is fantastic at bringing all aspects of classroom management together into one streamlined interface. The Schoology team has also done a fantastic job at collaborating and integrating with other school softwares and utilities (such as EduCannon, TurnItIn, and Google Drive).

What do you dislike?

New feature implementation can take a while. The Schoology Team does a fantastic job at continually looking at new ways to improve the free and enterprise products. Sometimes, however, it can take a while for these features to make their way from development to user once announced as approved or being worked on.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Schoology offers two price tiers: Free & Premium. All basic features and functionality are available to free users. Free users can enjoy the benefits of basic features such as digital gradebook tracking, attendance (per course), creation of multiple courses (and sections within each course), parent account activation (for student feedback), and online testing (with automated grading).

For those looking more in-depth features, the premium tier also offers campus administration functionality, including site-wide analysis. It also unlocks additional assessment features for instructors to create unique quiz and test experiences beyond the standard multiple choice, fill in the blank, or short answer options.

Schoology has allowed us to streamline the individual aspects of classroom management. Before Schoology, tasks such as attendance, grading, and parent/instructor/student feedback have all utilized their own system. In class, instructors can use a single interface to perform these various jobs, resulting in a more efficient workflow.

"Good functionality"

What do you like best?

I love that I can organize class information into folders for my students. I also love how it is integrated with videos/Quizlet and other tools that can be accessed directly from Schoology instead of redirecting students to another site. Keeps things simple and organized.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the mobile format my students get. Since all the folders cascade into each other, those with executive functioning issues need me to locate folders for them every time because they can't choose between folders.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think that viewing an already designed course is important for new Schoology users. Many of the older teachers at my school don't use it because they don't know where to start and haven't seen how wonderfully it can work. Just seeing it would help people get motivated.

Schoology has allowed me to let my students work more independently. Those that are capable of using and searching for tools really benefit from being able to access materials and submit them as they finish/on their own time. It's very convenient for teaching organization and time management skills to upper elementary students. I love it and use it regularly.

Schoology review by Andreas U.
Andreas U.

"Schoology Basic in review: Enough LMS to get started in Blended Learning?"

What do you like best?

Schoology comes - even in its free, 'Basic' version - with all the features of an elaborated LMS. All material can be freely rearranged via drag & drop, which makes it easy to change the sequence of a lesson. Material can easily be moved from one folder or even course to another. This supports the reuse of teaching material.

What do you dislike?

In the free, 'Basic' version of Schoology, which I use, you must click into a page to view its content.

You can not choose to display a page inline, so that its content is expanded and visible from the Materials page or from the folder level, without having to click on the page, as possible with the 'Enterprise' version.

I try to realise a Blended Learning concept with a couple of classes at the vocational school centre and the College of Further Education I teach at. Schoology, rich in features even in its 'Basic' version and with a short learning curve made it easy to implement my Blended Learning concept.

Schoology review by Stephanie H.
Stephanie H.

"What would I do without Schoology?"

What do you like best?

As a technology instructor, Schoology is my ultimate source of organizing thoughts, resources, links, and files all into one cohesive place. Because of the school-wide calendar, it is an easy place to deliver content to students in the form of "assignments". I like how I can embed or attach Google Drive files directly to assignments with further resources (this means I don't have to change 5 different assignment details if I teach 5 different classes). They also have excellent customer service -- quick and effective.

What do you dislike?

As with any platform that integrates new features, I am not a fan of the new Turnitin LTI or PowerSchool app integration. However, as this is the 2nd year of the Powerschool app gradebook sync and almost the first couple months of the new Turnitin LTI, Schoology continues to listen to our suggestions and complaints on the feature request forums. While it may be difficult to use in some aspects, Schoology's engineers are continuously building the platform that it is more user-friendly based on our feedback.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have a way to link student assignment grades with your SIS. We use PowerSchool as our SIS, and Schoology conveniently has an app that lets teachers sync, but not all SISs have an app with Schoology. Maybe teachers will have to enter grades in through another system that is separate from Schoology.

We are trying to unify teacher notifications and assignments to students. Similar to having a shared agenda and file folder between students and a teachers, Schoology provides the bridge between 24/7 access to resources used in the classroom. One of our struggles with this is not having all teachers on board, but as this is our 4th year using Schoology, more teachers are beginning to take on the challenge of attaching documents to calendar assignments, posting resources in files, organizing folders by units, etc.

Schoology review by User in Higher Education

"An underpowered learning management system"

What do you like best?

I like that I can quickly see materials for a specific course. I can divide students into grading groups and give separate assignments to each group. I can customize my notifications so I know when students complete assignments.

What do you dislike?

The assignment functions are difficult for both students and instructors to navigate. To assign a particular assignment, you must open the activity, click edit, choose points and a due date. The assignment will show up in the instructor and student's upcoming list only if they are logged in to the correct course and the due date hasn't passed. If a student misses an assignment, it disappears from the upcoming list. If a student completes and submits an assignment, it stays on the upcoming list making it difficult for a student to see what they still need to complete. 2 students can't have the same email address so I can't use a parent email address for a student. That means notifications don't get to students. The grade book doesn't show assignments students don't complete. The grading tool sometimes won't let me enter a grade, even though I entered a point value for the assignment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are considering Schoology as a platform, I would recommend Canvas instead. After using both at different institutions, Canvas is more user-friendly, intuitive and powerful.

I am managing individually paced student learning. I can make a separate class for each student or have separate assignments for students in one class.

"Schoology"

What do you like best?

I love using Schoology! It's a great way for me to share information with my students. I post all assignments on schoology and my students turn in all of their work on Schoology. I have students complete online discussions that get even the quiet students talking. I post all of my notes on schoology so that even students that were absent can keep up with what's going on. I like that I can post "updates" for my classes and students receive an email and a notification. I also like that I can copy things from old sections of a course and not re-create everything for each new section of a class. The students and parents like that they can find all of their class information/worksheets/notes, etc. in one place for all classes.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much that I dislike about schoology. They are always updating and improving.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think there's a free version that you can use to try it out first. It's worth trying and has a great community that you can ask questions.

Organization and distribution of information to Students and parents.

Schoology review by Ai A.
Ai A.

"Schoology"

What do you like best?

Interface is easy to use and understand. User can also customize the file organization to make it more accessible. Integration with Google classroom.

What do you dislike?

I'm using the free version; so some things I guess are not available. But I would like to be able to copy class resources and assignment from term to term, or class to class, instead of having to place them in the shared folder and then add them to the new class/term. I am also not too fond of the limitations of the rubric. I wish it'll allow me to create a score range; for e.g. A=95-100 and the instructor can put in a score. But we are limited to the point system which sometimes is not an accurate reflection of a student's grade.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Better than google classroom. My favorite feature: visual hint of resubmitted work. Really helps.

Education

Schoology review by Candice O.
Candice O.

"Schoology for the win!"

What do you like best?

I can post to several classes at one time or just one. There is a documented list of assignments for the entire school year in a timeline. I can create tests and quizzes that are instantly graded.

What do you dislike?

There is definitely a learning curve and it takes some time to fine tune exactly how you want to use it for your class.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I definitely recommend that everyone on a team uses Schoology so that teachers, students, and parents have one single interface to check.

Parents and students have access so it lessens the number of emails received.

User in Education Management

"Schoology: Changing Education for the Better"

What do you like best?

I love the ability to support my students and assess their learning regardless of where I am in the room or beyond. Schoology has allowed me to build educational playlists and sequenced learning modules that support and challenge my students on a regular basis. It has allow my students better control over the path, pace, time, and place of learning.

What do you dislike?

I have had a holistically positive experience with Schoology. They continue to update, add features, and seek feedback from users, which is essential in the growth of this platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend downloading the app, in addition to using the web platform. Following Schoology on Twitter and joining user groups are a great way to stay up to date on the newest features and gain insights from other users.

As a teacher, I am meeting the needs of my students with a higher level of immediacy. In addition, I am able to effective implement a blended learning model in my classroom, providing students with individualized and personalized learning opportunities on a daily basis.

Schoology review by Hieu N.
Hieu N.

"A Great Alternative To Edmodo"

What do you like best?

Schoology is the primary tool I use to communicate with my teacher. When I used it to help the instructor communication with the class is easy as well. The core features of Schoology is the neat discussion boards where you can easily assign a grade to a student as you are reading along. For the student's perspective the site is very reminiscent of Facebook. It has slick design with likes and replies. When it comes to grading and submitting assignments I have had no problems with Schoology. It allows multiple ways to submit an assignment, so it can fit your personal preference. Because it has a app, if I assign homework at night the student can be notified ahead of time.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how when students have a long discussion Schoology would eventually end it with overflow. It is definitely very annoying for both the grader and student as it shows a restriction to their want to learn and communicate. The app also lacks many features of the desktop site, which can be annoying to students who have an obsession with their phone. Their "seamless" integration with google apps can be dodgy at times to as it makes words smaller.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is very easy to use for both students and for teachers. I have been on both sides of the spectrum, so I can attest to it. It is what I believe to me a good alternative to Edmodo. The platform works wonders for AP Computer Science classes, regular computer sciences classes, or even other technology classes.

Grading has become more fast and efficient as well as paperless. A very minimum use of paper is needed now in the class.

Schoology review by Kate P.
Kate P.

"Great program with even better benefits "

What do you like best?

I love how this program makes teaching all of my students so simple. I can also reach different levels of learners and differentiate my instruction based on what each individual needs.

What do you dislike?

I’ve only had a few minor errors with the grading. I also wish that there was the ability for students to graph something on an assessment but I get around that by providing pictures.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It saves tons of time in the long run and supports students needs to be working with technology.

I Schoology makes the grading and lesson planning process easier.

Schoology review by Liz L.
Liz L.

"One Stop Shop for All Educational Needs"

What do you like best?

I love the ease of use of Schoology. From staff, teachers, administrators, students, and parents, it is simply easy to use. It can help students and staff stay organized and consistent across the various educational levels of a district.

What do you dislike?

I would like for them to get rid of using Flash.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Absolutely get this phenomenal LMS!

Schoology has allowed us to bring the academic into our students homes, never really missing a beat, even if they are sick. Staff can do professional development at home in easy to create and complete modules.

Schoology review by Jay P.
Jay P.

"Schoology - useful for homework and collaboration"

What do you like best?

I like that Schoology offers an easy way to manage classes of students, their assignments, and works with Chromebooks and iPads easily including many apps such as Goodnotes.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the layout. It can be confusing to navigate from time to time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have a few dedicated people who know the program inside and out. Also make sure you have someone designated to create and manage the students and classes overall.

We are moving closer and closer to going entirely paperless. Homework and tests were a big part of that, and they are now on Schoology.

Schoology review by David W.
David W.

"Best LMS on the Market"

What do you like best?

The ease of use for Schoology is a huge selling feature. The fact that we can get teachers up and running in a handful of training sessions with individual teachers. We still run some individual training sessions to help out with specific issues but overall our teachers are fully operational. The ability to run online assessments and have data analysis automatically is a huge benefit. We also like the use of online discussions and the improved integration with Google Drive.

What do you dislike?

I know they are working on this but the user interface is ready for an update.

Schoology provides a home base for our students and teachers. It is the place where we store our educational materials and run many of our school groups.

Schoology review by Herring M.
Herring M.

"Wonderful Learning Management System"

What do you like best?

I love the Schoology interface. The interface is attractive and easily accessible. It is very easy to use. It makes the tech novice feel comfortable and able to use this tool. Schoology has been a blessing to use and connect and keep students on track in the classroom. I like the parent portal. Parents have access to see the assignments that are required of their students and see their grades. I like that Schoology can be integrated with our grading management system and other tools we use in our system.

What do you dislike?

I don't the fact if you don't have a class but you want to be able to connect with the students. You have to create a class or group and add the students individually. When you have 1600 students, it is very time consuming. In other LMS programs, I could create a file with their information, upload it, and then the file adds the students to the class I created. I also don't like the file size restrictions. I was doing an orientation for the school and didn't realize there was a restriction and the file was way too big and orientation was about to begin and I had to come up with plan b, c, and d. Youtube ended up being my savior in this crisis.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very user friendly. I would highly recommend it if you are looking for a new learning management system.

We use Schoology for our Learning Management System for our school. This is how we connect with our teachers, students, and parents. Our teachers can use this to post assignments, give tests, grade tests, grade assignments, and add resources for students to use in class.

Schoology review by Michele G.
Michele G.

"Helpful class management tool"

What do you like best?

I like that schoology offers a calendar and different sections for teachers to use in posting materials. Schoology also has easy ways to upload rubrics and view grades/comments. I also like that you can link in other websites/information.

What do you dislike?

I find it really challenging to navigate and see where certain posts are within a web page. Sometimes schoology can be a little finicky with particular websites that are uploaded or how to view the website on schoology.

I used schoology when working in a middle school to keep track of students' grades, assignments and missing work. It is a helpful tool for students to see what is missing and what is not missing. I think if organized in the right way, it could really be a great online system for classrooms.

Schoology review by Stephen R.
Stephen R.

"Schoology is the complete solution for the 21st century classroom."

What do you like best?

Schoology allows my 3rd-5th grade students log in and know exactly where to go when they come to my classroom. It allows my students to have one central location to everything they need. Whether they need to go to another website, take a quiz, watch a YouTube video, complete an assignment, or upload an assignment...everything goes through Schoology.

What do you dislike?

The only dislike I have with Schoology is that I wish badges were given automatically based on a certain score achieved.

For business, I am trying to solve the abundance of emails within the department. We are achieving this by using Schoology as a place for our department to have a group. In this group, we can provide updates and showcase resources that are easily shared.

Schoology review by Teresa D.
Teresa D.

"Transform your Classroom"

What do you like best?

Students can work through assignments at their own pace and I can assign work to individuals or small groups. It makes differentiating a breeze when students can only see the work assigned to them. I can also design online discussions for my students to participate in, sharing their ideas and backing them with evidence.

What do you dislike?

I wish the question formats aligned better to what students will see on the PARCC standardized tests. I would love to see graph integration and other advanced questioning. I would also like to be able to set options for completion. For example, it would be nice to allow students to complete 2 of 4 options and then move on to the next folder.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ask students for feedback and make changes accordingly. Also, be ready to model using the system to students at the beginning of the year as they learn routines.

This helps provide the structure for self-paced learning, which benefits students across the spectrum of abilities. It enables students to keep working even if one or two students are being disruptive, since they do not have to wait for direct instruction. It also helps students who are absent keep up with work.

Schoology review by User in Sports
User in Sports

"Great tool for bringing your classroom online!"

What do you like best?

Schoology is a great tool for bringing your classroom online and providing students with resources, discussions, and notes. But its greatest advantage is the ability for your students to stay connected in the classroom and at home. Another important thing to consider is the teachers ability to safely communicate with their students, through the 3rd party app and a "status" like format, an instructor can remind students to complete work and study over extended breaks and weekends.

What do you dislike?

The schoology interface for saving personal and group teaching materials seems limited. The advantage over other apps is that the student can save these online lessons, quizzes and assignments and using them in future courses.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Schoology is great for organizing classes and saving materials for the future, it helps instructors teaching the same classes share information, and connects to many Gradebook apps seamlessly.

Schoology has helped make Professional Development days interactive, by creating staff groups with shared materials, the professional development days can stay organized and teachers can access the material in the future.

Schoology review by Tucker J.
Tucker J.

"Classroom management "

What do you like best?

Schoology is an easy way to manage your classroom. I love that I can make assignments and they are graded and out into grade book. Parents have access to see students assignments and work.

What do you dislike?

I would like to see an easier way for students to use videos and be able to make recordings.

The biggest challenge has been communication with parents. With schoology you can make announcements and share a calendar for their use.

Schoology review by Jared L.
Jared L.

"The Best LMS out there!"

What do you like best?

I first discovered Schoology after using one of its competitors and immediately made the switch. Its interface is designed for ease of use and understanding, but it's deceptively simple. There are so many features one can access through this LMS and myriad apps and integrations in addition! My students took to it immediately and after speaking with my administration, we implemented it throughout the high school. Then, after my superintendent went to the Schoology conference, we expanded our use of it to be schoolwide, K-12. It allows for both centralized and compartmentalized information so that everyone gets what they need. It can be accessed anywhere there's internet, which means I can stay in touch with colleagues and students even if I'm not in the building. As a teacher, I was able to create and grade on the go. As a theatre director, I am able to use it to stay in touch with my cast, post audition and rehearsal materials, and even upload videos! As an EdTech Coordinator now, I keep my staff informed of updates and we are able to have ongoing discussions outside of our professional development time, which enables us to get more done. Both materials and calendars can be color-coded (a personal favorite of mine), which makes for ease of organization, not to mention helping students who may not be able to read the words identify locations for information. You can also add pictures and videos to assignments, quizzes, tests, discussions, pages...which is vital for someone like me who works in a Deaf school and is that extra step that helps bring learning to life. I could go on and on about the features, but one of the best things about Schoology is their team. They listen to their clients and respond quickly and effectively. They are open-minded and ready to work with their users, making changes that improve the system based on feedback from those who are using it every day. It's truly a partnership. I would recommend Schoology to any and all educators. It's easy to learn and takes education to the next level.

What do you dislike?

There are a few times when I feel that I have to perform some extra clicks to get where I need to go. Also, some features that I feel should have alerts don't have alerts. However, like I said above, Schoology does listen to their users and I have a feeling that if I bring these issues to them, they will find ways to solve them if they are solvable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have used other LMSs and I can say that Schoology is the best I've found. It's easy, it's enjoyable, and it takes education to the next level.

We did not have a centralized location for information in our school and now we do. We also have a more unified system for providing education while allowing for the differentiation necessary to meet student needs. I think we still have ways to go to fully explore those options, but the features are there to explore.

User in Education Management

"Like Facebook and Blackboard had a Baby"

What do you like best?

the ability to archive a class, then import all of the assignments and handouts for the next year.

the folders.

that there are groups and classes.

as an art teacher, I love to use discussions for critiques because they stay there for the whole year and you can go back to see who said what.

the date & time stamp on when something was posted / submitted or due.

the calendar feature that shows all from the home page, or just the class you are on

What do you dislike?

the messages to my email, that require me to login to schoology to reply to... seems like an extra step.

and when it goes out - seems like once a quarter.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have used School Loop, Blackboard and PBwiki, this is the best of them for educators

student accountability and blended classroom learning (some of the class lessons are posted online, freeing up time together for help - this is called upside down teaching)

Schoology review by Isha G.
Isha G.

"Life changing!!!"

What do you like best?

I teach English language arts via schoology and my students have thoroughly enjoyed it.

What do you dislike?

My kids have a long username. I wish that was much shorter and easier to remember.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Schoology is an excellent resource for teachers who are inclined and interested in blended learning with the use of technology in classrooms.

I use schoology to assist teachers how to apply blended learning in their classrooms in order to achieve maximum success.

Schoology review by User

"Excellent one-stop shop for educators"

What do you like best?

I like that it can be used by all teachers, no matter their subject area and that all students have one place to go to access everything. They just log into Schoology and all digital assignments/materials/links/calendar for all of their classes can be accessed from one place.

What do you dislike?

There is a bit of a learning curve when starting with Schoology, but my school placed a big emphasis on training on its use, so we all learned and jismped in together.

Ease of use. All teachers, regardless of subject area, can use the Schoology, so students can find everything they need for all classes in one place.

Schoology review by James H.
James H.

"Schoology is okay"

What do you like best?

I like that Schoology integrates many different resources all into one place. This makes it very user friendly.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the schedule feature. I can't schedule an assignment to begin on a certain day without also giving an end date. I feel like I have to do more work with it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Put in a lot of time learning everything. It takes time.

I put assignments on Schoology and have my assessments on there as well. It is very good for limiting paper use.

Schoology review by elaine W.
elaine W.

"Schoology makes learning fun and easy!"

What do you like best?

I absolutely loved Schoology because of it's user friendly format. It was very easy to use with my students who had little to no experience using technology. These students enjoyed that they could access past assignments in case they missed a day of school. Also, it was easy to post information for current lessons or review information to enable students to study for upcoming assessments.

What do you dislike?

I disliked that there wasn't a more streamlines system for uploading my daily agendas and lesson plans. Having it all on one page would make everything more readily accessible for both me as the teacher and my students.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend talking to other teachers to get innovative ideas for how to implement Schoology into your own classroom. Other teachers gave me some unique ideas that I wouldn't have thought of on my own.

I currently am not a business person but and educator, so this question doesn't apply to me.

Schoology review by Tracy L.
Tracy L.

"An Intetesting Tool"

What do you like best?

Schoology allows schools to communicate in a fashion that is different from email. You can post updates, resources, etc. It’s like having a website just for staff members.

What do you dislike?

Is it necessary for your site? It’s almost like adding another form of communication to an already convoluted system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I don’t know how much the software costs, so I would ask myself two questions.

1. Is the software necessary?

2. Would our site embrace and use it?

If the answer to both questions is “yes,” then give it a try!

Improving staff communication was a school goal. This software enables us to do so in situations where an email is inappropriate,

Schoology review by Cathie G.
Cathie G.

"Schoology is an LMS = Learning Made Simple "

What do you like best?

Schoology is a perfect classroom companion.

What do you dislike?

The mobile app does not offer the same as the web platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Schoology is an all encompassing learning management system (LMS) that allows teachers to expand the walls of the classroom beyond the school day. Students can easily log into their Schoology account and access class materials, watch embedded videos, practice skills, or respond to class discussions. Teachers can organize and create folders and build an entire course throughout the year. The interface has a social media look that can be appealing for students. However, students treat Schoology as a course and not Facebook. Restrictions can easily be enabled to ensure that student's post before they see other responses. The Schoology App works extremely well in a 1:1 iPad classroom. Students can easily add their Google Drive App and submit assignments from Google Drive directly to Schoology. Teachers have an easy toggle feature that allows them to score student work efficiently without opening new tabs for every student assignment. Rubrics can be easily created and directly attached to the assignment. Schoology does platform with Pearson, Powerschool, and many other online sources. Those services provided do cost money. If students are under the age of 13, you will need to sign a document and verify that you are a teacher. Videos and tutorials are easily accessible, and the company is very responsive to questions and suggestions.

Allowing students to continue learning outside the walls of the classroom. Schoology reduces paper and offers unlimited storage for the Enterprise Version.

Schoology review by User in Music
User in Music

"Educational Facebook"

What do you like best?

The ease of use of Schoology is incomparable. My school switched from Moodle to Schoology a few years back, and it made online learning so much easier to navigate. Schoology allows each class to be located on its own page. Every unit can be easily separated and is simple to follow. The calendar feature is efficient and shows me when my assignments are due. It is also easy to access my grades and to communicate with both my professors and classmates. I also appreciate the groups feature, so I can communicate with my cohorts outside of the online classroom setting. Because Schoology laid out in a very similar way to Facebook, it is extremely easy to navigate, especially for the millennial generation and younger. The notification settings/options/custimizations on mobile are also really convenient.

What do you dislike?

While convenient, the mobile version has some flaws. Copying and pasting text can sometimes make formatting really wonky. Furthermore, I'll often receive notifications on my mobile app informing me that someone has commented on my post, yet when I go to check it, that comment does not appear unless I am on a the desktop site. So the app could definitely use some work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it. This will be greatly beneficial to your students.

Ease of use for both professors and students!

Schoology review by Administrator in Education Management
Administrator in Education Management

"Daily interaction with Schoology as a school administrative assistant"

What do you like best?

Approachable layout since the update section is similar to Facebook.

What do you dislike?

Students are not able to message each other within the system / messaging multiple people at once doesn't work well. It is supposed to work but I never can get two students names to show when I am trying to send a message. Must message individually.

I love that I can see a student's current grades by selecting "advisee" tab on the far right. I use it to put current grades on student's mid year transcripts. I can easily view grade book and see which assignments that teacher has yet to grade when I am doing teacher evaluations.

Schoology review by Lisa M.
Lisa M.

"Schoology Love"

What do you like best?

Everything, all of it! Schoology is the best for managing workflow in a 1-to-1 environment. The ability to see what student's turned in work and which students did not is great. Also, not having to upload/download assignments to correct them is one of the huge plusses of schoology.

What do you dislike?

The limited parent access, I want parents and other support staff to be able to see students grades.

Student workflow - solved!

Schoology review by Rebecca R.
Rebecca R.

"Best Resource for Teachers"

What do you like best?

I have found that Schoology is the best software around for teachers. It is ideal because it engages students heavily; the website almost mirrors Facebook in its design, with status updates, "likes," and an excellent messaging capability. I loved being able to post the homework for the night and have students ask questions that I could easily respond to. It also has a wonderful feature where students can upload drafts or final copies of their assignments, and the teacher can grade and leave comments directly on the page.

What do you dislike?

Schoology has somewhat of a data analysis capability. You can see trends for a class or an assignment but it would be great to have this expanded. I would love, for example, to be able to sort by students with IEPs or other self-created categories.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Spend a day at the beginning of the year having all students go to the computer lab and make an account. It is only effective if students participate.

Teachers are able to engage both students and parents in the learning process. Rather than have a stack of homework papers that get lost, or a line of students who say that their printer wasn't working the night before an essay is due, they can upload the assignment directly on Schoology. I never realized how beneficial this was until I began using this.

Schoology review by User in Music
User in Music

"Works great!"

What do you like best?

File sharing is easy. I like being able to access my files from anywhere - my laptop, work computer, iPad, etc. I just used Dropbox yesterday when I needed to edit a PDF that was uploaded to Schoology (I no longer had the original). I uploaded the file to Dropbox, opened the Dropbox app on my iPad, opened the file in Notability, corrected it, then reuploaded it to Schoology.

What do you dislike?

Can't think of a thing! Dropbox does everything I need it to do.

Dropbox helps me move files from one device to another without having to send them as email attachments (my files are often too large for Gmail).

Schoology review by User in Higher Education

"Creating a learning environment"

What do you like best?

I like the fact they don't just give you a mostly expense-less service but they all train you in developing the course, learn study and teaching techniques and how to best utilize their software to help teach students.

What do you dislike?

I don't like their navigation too much. It takes a lot of time to figure out the different settings and personalizations for the first time.

Their trainings help a lot though.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check with your institution maybe you can use it with their access codes. Instead of just trying to figure it out yourself, watch the instructions videos first.

I'm solving collaboration, education, learning on unifying platform, assessment.

User in Primary/Secondary Education

"Excellent platform for my middle school classroom"

What do you like best?

I love that I can create an organized page of folders and materials for my students. I can also link it to Google Drive, which limits the copying and printing of papers.

What do you dislike?

I wish Schoology had he function to allow students to work collaboratively on an assignment. As of now it only works for individuals.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would only get this product if your school is 1 to 1 with computers.

Less paper waste is definitely a huge one. We also have less issues with students forgetting to turn in assignments because they are using the calendar feature.

Schoology review by Caroline L.
Caroline L.

"Decent LMS for school"

What do you like best?

I like that I am able to post updates to students and have it immediately show up on their feed.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that if I forget to uncheck how an assignment can be submitted, i.e. via their online grade book, that it will show up as overdue for them when I don't use their online Grade book. I also don't like that if I delete an assignment on Schoology that it also deletes it from my Powerschool Gradebook (since I have the accounts linked).

The ability to connect with both parents and students is a major benefit.

Schoology review by Toni M.
Toni M.

"The perfect LMS for The K-12 environment"

What do you like best?

I love aschoology’s ease of use. The new Google integration with assignments is an easy and efficient way for teachers to assign and collect work from Google Drive. It has robust built in assessment features as well.

What do you dislike?

Schoology is beginning to dabble with microcredentialling. I wish the program would allow for automatic badges to be awarded after a student demonstrated mastery or proficiency.

This LMS is perfect for schools that are going 1:1. It helps efficient work flow and allows for teachers to personalize and differentiate instruction by setting student completion and blind grading groups.

Schoology review by Christina C.
Christina C.

"Excellent student teacher interaction"

What do you like best?

I love that there are ways to keep track of interactions with the students. I love to engage students and Schoology makes it easy to stay connected.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes tracking discussion assignments can be difficult to navigate when there are allot of students.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a great platform to provide resources and links to students. We are able to engage students through many platforms and it all connects with schoology.

I am able to work across the country and help educate students around the world.

Schoology review by Tessa B.
Tessa B.

"Schoology"

What do you like best?

I like that they have different resources to use in your classes

What do you dislike?

Sometimes students with missing assignments have a hard time going back and finding the assignment

A good way for students to access there work online and have access to notes/ resources from home

Schoology review by Smita K.
Smita K.

"Why I think Schoology is a great LMS and more..."

What do you like best?

I really like that Schoology is a robust app on mobile platforms in addition to being a website. No matter what the platform, the tool can be accessed by students, parents and teachers alike. I love that the same tool can be used effectively from K-12. The media album feature is extremely useful not just to upload photos and videos but also to upload student creations on mobile devices quickly and efficiently. Media can then be used for several language based activities. The discussion feature is extremely useful for realtime, delayed and blended learning discussions. It enables every student to participate, no matter what the language ability or shyness factor is. Finally, I really like that digital etiquette and cybersafety, so critical to today's world, can be effectively taught to students from first grade up using a secure, reliable and useful tool with practical uses. The support, enthusiasm and willingness of the Schoology team to implement enhancements and reliable solutions, while thinking ahead is a bonus.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that not all the features of the website are currently available on the app.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look at your needs and the big picture. See your age group, platforms being used, mobile availability. There will probably be some hiccups as you get started but don't let that deter you. Use your creativity to expand the uses of the product.

The business problem being solved is to have a common platform for grades K-12, enabling an integrated environment for students, parents and teachers alike, to post assignments online, enable connectedness, collaboration, empathy while continuing to learn and grow.

The benefits are as follows:

- Students absent from school can feel a part of the class, do not really "miss" their work

- Students collaborate and help each other, thereby developing empathy as well as appreciating each other's varied skills

- The teacher is not the bottleneck. The teacher is the guide.

- Digital etiquette. The students really absorb what's right and not, what's respectable behavior online (not really different from in-person).

- The teachers have a wider platform to collaborate across grade levels, across sites and all the way from Pre-K through Grade 12.

- The administrators have a secure medium to put up information

- Media can be stored in a secure medium without worrying about various other online sites and publishing student photos.

Schoology review by Ben W.
Ben W.

"Useful tool for student connection"

What do you like best?

It’s fairly straightforward to create assignments, connect with students and post discussion boards.

What do you dislike?

It’s still not easy to navigate from the outset, and there is no ability yet to group students into smaller, manageable groups within one class.

I’m connecting students to a digital platform for learning.

Schoology review by Mark V.
Mark V.

"Perfect way to connect your classroom"

What do you like best?

Posting classroom materials is my favorite thing about Schoology. Videos, links to websites and articles, a worksheet for homework can be posted with just a few simple clicks. Another great thing, NO MORE PAPERS!

What do you dislike?

My students can become a little distracted when using it. And the lack of moderation in the discussion can lead to some digression.

Giving my students access to all of the media and materials in a very organized way has saved me a lot of time and was the solution to many headaches. It has really brought my classroom into the 21st century.

Schoology review by Joy O.
Joy O.

"Schoology - Great Product"

What do you like best?

Our school has used several Learning Management Systems in the past ten years. Schoology has been the best by far.

What do you dislike?

Being an online school our needs are different and we wish we could adapt it more.

The need for an Learning Management System for our online school.

Schoology review by Administrator

"Schoology Streamlines One to One Instruction"

What do you like best?

I love that you can post resources in groups or classes.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that if I don't have a class, I can't push things out to students. I am a school counselor and would like to be able to push things out to students in a format other than the group format.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This makes life easier for teachers in a one to one envirnment.

Students are able to quickly find their assignments. We are also able to push out school-wide lessons to our teachers.

Schoology review by Kayla C.
Kayla C.

"Powerful, yet easy to use!"

What do you like best?

Schoology is highly versatile. It can be used as a simple place to upload your class assignments or can be used to put nearly your entire course online from video lessons to assignment submissions. We use Schoology in our self-paced mastery classroom as it allows students to be working at different places in the curriculum because it is all uploaded in one place. The format is similar to many social media websites, so the students can easily navigate the interface.

What do you dislike?

The grade book feature can have glitches at time which leads to slower grade input. However, the Schoology team is quick to help with any and all issues our school has encountered. As with most LMS, the website is down or slow from time to time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try the free version if you are an individual classroom teacher. We used only the free version for an entire year, and it was able to do everything we needed!

This product allows us to clearly communicate with students and parents through the grades tab. It also allows us to cut down on printing by uploading assignments online. Students are also able to submit their complete assignments through a dropbox feature.

Schoology review by Cam S.
Cam S.

"Schoolwide Schoology Supports Students"

What do you like best?

We use this platform school-wide to communicate to students and parents as well as provide classroom updates, videos, and assessment tools in a very easy-to-use manner. After a year of implementation, the parents have found this very useful and the staff likes the consistency it provides.

What do you dislike?

I don't see another way around it, but I'd like somehow to streamline parent connections with Schoology where it doesn't take a different code found on a class page. I do like the ability for parents to access multiple students, however.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Staff training is essential - then allow staff to work together and off of each other to improve their sites.

We now have a single platform to communicate, post, edit, and assess. That's a great tool as opposed to having to "click" through many teachers' websites. I really value the consistency. The parents value only having to log in once to see multiple student information.

Schoology review by Piper P.
Piper P.

"Parent of middle school student whose school uses Schoology"

What do you like best?

Calendar view of assignments

Potentially once place to view all assignments, events, and documents.

Students can communicate with each other and teachers--although is clunky!

What do you dislike?

Teachers state the system is often not functioning properly and that they cannot administer quizzes and post homework. As a parent I struggle with how homework is posted--sometimes on the day it is initially assigned and sometimes on the day it is due. (there needs to be a way to reflect a work period/duration (from initial assignment to due day).

Due to teacher's difficulty in posting, the posting is inconsistent.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider how it integrates with other systems. Consider use cases and usability by typical users. Have simplified dashboards depending upon use case (e.g., parent view vs teacher view). Ensure that use for quizzes is flawless and does not crash day/hour of quizz.

Potentially once place to view all assignments, events, and documents. Ability for students to communicate in a "safe" environment.

Schoology review by Eduardo N.
Eduardo N.

"My school integrated it into our grading system. "

What do you like best?

I like it for the reason I use it most which is to create assignments, enter grades, and look at the statistics behind it. It is pretty simple to create new assignments, new grading sections (HW, Projects, etc...) and to make it easy for the students to know what the assignment is.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that if I make an assignment "invisible" and put in grades for some students, it messes up the grading system (I see something different than the students do on their final grade report). Although this is not directly a Schoology problem, I wish other apps where better integrated into it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is pretty easy to use and the resource folder is great to keep for future classes you teach.

I am teaching so not business problems. I am just learning how to use Schoology to be a more organized teacher.

User in Primary/Secondary Education

"Schoology makes collaboration easy"

What do you like best?

I really appreciate the usability of Schoology and the Facebook-like interface that is really easy for people to use. I also like the option to create both courses and groups.

What do you dislike?

It seems like in the effort to be very Facebook-like, Schoology might be missing some features that would be especially useful for collaboration. Further integration with Google Drive will be very useful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Trainings really help with adoption

We are just starting to use Schoology but think it will be very helpful in a large school district like ours.

Schoology review by Sara J.
Sara J.

"Schoology classroom management to streamline workload"

What do you like best?

Schoology has one edge over Google Docs-- the ability to quickly grade both multiple-choice and written assessments. This is an enormous time-saving feature and it's almost frustrating how well it works when considering some of the other ways it falls flat.

What do you dislike?

Schoology is not cloud-based, so student work cannot "live" with both the student and the teacher at the same time. Google Classroom is much superior to this product in that students can keep a multi-year archive of their written and graded work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're not already embedded in the Google enviromnent, this is a tool that will significantly streamline your workload.

Schoology is tremendously time-saving when assessing students and returning grades to them in a timely way.

Schoology review by Administrator

"Schoology Review"

What do you like best?

Schoology allows me to upload worksheets, assignments, resources, etc. and this allows students to get caught up and have access. Also, it the grading function is helpful for tracking student progress.

What do you dislike?

It isn't necessarily intuitive or entirely user friendly. There are a lot of capabilities that go unnoticed and unused. Additionally, I wish that the system continued to communicate (update the master document and have it update the copies).

Student access and universal school system

Schoology review by Caroline M.
Caroline M.

"Schoology "

What do you like best?

Schoology is a great resource for in person and virtual collaboration. You are able to add multiple modes of information such as articles, text, videos and pictures. It’s easy to pick who to collaborate with and to sign up for specific groups.

What do you dislike?

This resource is useful for professionals and older students however not as useful for younger students (9 and under)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use for staff collaboration or presentations

Meeting preparation and presentation

Collaboration across grade levels and departments

Access to information

Schoology review by Zanger P.
Zanger P.

"Organized Info Display"

What do you like best?

I like that it keeps updated info available, but stores it separately from aged-out gradebooks!

What do you dislike?

I would like to organize my rosters alpha by last name, and have the most recent assignments visible.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you carefully train on-site "executive trainers" for each schoolsite. Make sure to provide adequate and ongoing employee training!

It allows all teachers an equal record of student work, it gives administrators a more even way to evaluate student academic issues quickly.

"Schoology LMS Review"

What do you like best?

We are an online school, so our LMS has to have every capability for both teachers and students to submit and grade assignments online. Schoology's tools definitely enable us to do this.

What do you dislike?

There isn't any particular feature that I don't like. There are a few minor features that I'd like to see added, but Schoology releases new features often, and I've seen them chipping away at a few of these minor things based on requests of their customers.

As stated before, we are an online school, so it is imperative that our students and teachers have an LMS that has full features.

Schoology review by John S.
John S.

"Schoology does not work with Infinite Campus"

What do you like best?

Schoology is fine as a stand-alone product, but it does not export grades to Infinite Campus. Our school has been trying to get this to work since the beginning of September. It is now mid-October with no solution yet in site. Stand-alone, I'd give it a higher score. Compatibility with others: 0.

What do you dislike?

See above. It does not work with Infinite Campus.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do not use with Infinite Campus.

Some teachers like the ability to score and grade short quizzes. Most of my assignments are higher level essays, so it hasn't benefited me over other grading programs. It works for that, but don't expect good tech support.

Administrator in Primary/Secondary Education

"Schoology Connection to Teachers for Teachers and Students"

What do you like best?

I love that schoology connects groups of teachers around the states to share ideas and also acts as a student portal for materials and assessment. The students can contact one another for questions or collaborating

What do you dislike?

I don't like that schoology does not allow students to connect with others outside of their class

Recommendations to others considering the product

Useful for classroom webpage, assessment scoring and connection to gradebook

I realized that schoology offers the ability to track standards student by student and gear assessment to a certain standard

User in Education Management

"Great tool for high school educators "

What do you like best?

My school currently uses this product, and i can say with out a doubt it makes our job a while lot easier. It allows us to easily communicate, for our course, grades, calendar, and other things.

What do you dislike?

I really dont dislike anything to be honest. Its a great product that gets the job done.

It allows us to share courses among our peers to keep up with todays standard in education.

Schoology review by Jennifer D.
Jennifer D.

"Schoology"

What do you like best?

Schoology is relatively intuitive for students to use since it is reminiscent of Facebook. It's easy for me to post content and administer assessments online.

What do you dislike?

I wish it were smarter about bulk editing, primarily across sections of a class (i.e. if I add/change an assignment or resource to one section, it would be great to populate automatically across all sections) and within an assessment (i.e. if I change the number of points on one question, it would be nice to be able to copy that change on multiple questions rather than go through each question one by one).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Spend some time playing with it and have a plan for organization before populating content.

Classroom organization, communication with students and parents, quick feedback from assessments

Schoology review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Better than SchoolSpace"

What do you like best?

The software is organized and easy to use. It allows you to easily connect the teacher and student.

What do you dislike?

The similarities to social media is an issue for me. I don't like how other users can "like" and comment on posts from teachers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it. You'll be glad you did.

Schoology helps the student keep on track with their assignments. It allows discussions and news within the school community.

Schoology review by User in E-Learning
User in E-Learning

"Ease of use"

What do you like best?

Building a course in Schoology, I have found it super intuitive and easy to navigate. Adding content is a breeze, and I especially like the ease of embedding content rather than sending the user out with an outside link.

What do you dislike?

I'm not crazy about the design of the interface, but it's an ok compromise for the ease of use and features. It's a tradeoff for lack of features vs ease of use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check first to see what features you need - it isn't my favorite LMS but will work for many needs.

Schoology is allowing me to build an introductory course easily and efficiently.

Schoology review by Tara K.
Tara K.

"Excellent resource for communication from school to home"

What do you like best?

Ability to link videos, homework, reminder notes, study guides, take-home quizzes, and email.

What do you dislike?

some group feeds are not helpful to me as a practicing teacher. However, that is more of a user responsibility and not of a Schoology responsibility.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Perhaps offer links to online training for different fields within the feed. i.e.: how to begin flipping your classroom, how to effectively measure an ESL student reading level.

Decreased excuses for lack of knowledge of homework (students & parents), decrease in school paper usage as study guides, homework sheets, etc. can be uploaded to the page and students can complete and email them or print them out at home.

increase in flipped-classroom lessons, review of lessons online via video uploads, and communication with parents.

Schoology review by User in Leisure, Travel & Tourism
User in Leisure, Travel & Tourism

"Excellent format for hosting online courses"

What do you like best?

The site is easy to navigate and works great for hosting online courses. It does work best for older students and adults since navigation is mostly text and not graphics. The discussion forum format is great. It is very user-friendly as both an educator and student. It is great to have everything in one place and it is simple to switch back and forth between multiple courses.

What do you dislike?

Uploading files can be tricky sometimes as not all file formats are accepted and there are various ways to add the file for the assignment. We also had issues using the site sometimes depending on the browser setting. I also would love a more graphic, kid-friendly schoology that would work well for elementary aged students to be able to navigate.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It works best with older students or adults. Elementary aged students will have difficulty navigating and may do better with a format like Google Classroom.

It solves the problem of needing to meet face to face to host discussions when it can be difficult to organize schedules. It allows students to work from home and to work at their own pace. It allows all files to be kept and managed in one place and easily updated as needed. All students have quick access to all information needed for the course. It makes group work simple as well by allowing students to work in their groups through the page.

Schoology review by User

"User friendly and simple"

What do you like best?

Easy to use, easy to upload a variety’s of documents, easy to keep track of assignments and grades.

What do you dislike?

The only thing that comes to mind that I dislike about schoology is that the formatting/layout can change in submission depending on the type of document submitted (i.e., docx vs doc).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for educational programs; I would recommend the administrators requiring a standardized submission format (i.e., word document vs PDF)

Simple host platform for tons of documents, PowerPoints, tests, links, etc; Has all of the materials you need in one place for easy access

Schoology review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Fantastic learning platform"

What do you like best?

My employer has been using Schoology for employee continuing education. We're able to watch videos, participate in forums, take exams, and share information. Schoology has been a positive influence in my own career advancement.

What do you dislike?

It can be difficult to locate items but that may be due to similar document names.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I believe you can try it free and then upgrade your account after determining if Schoology meets your business and educational needs. You simply can't lose: everyone getting the same information from the same source at the same time.

The company needed consistent teaching across the board so all employees had the same information. We're able to revisit and review topics, ask questions, get CEU credits, and have up to date information changes at our fingertips.

Schoology review by User in Higher Education

"Good for district connections and professional development"

What do you like best?

I can do all my required training online and can also connect with the district professionals. Its a great platform for professional development.

What do you dislike?

I would like to get a detailed training on the software so I could utilize it more than before.

Professional development training. Course materials and plan is on there. It is beneficial in a sense that it is one stop shop for all my needs.

"Love it!"

What do you like best?

I like the one stop shop that schoology is. I especially like all of the quizzing features. This can be used for both formative and Summative assessments. I can easily track my students' progress and make adjustments as needed to me lesson plans based on the instant feedback schoology allows. My school is pushing Mastery Connect and Homeroom by Atlas, however, neither of these allow for the quizzing features I need. Because of this, I have special permission to continue using Schoology.

What do you dislike?

I wish that it had a calendar like Homeroom and had th colored pie charts like Mastery Connect. Had this product had those 2 things, I believe out school would be a Schoology school.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please look at Homeroom and Mastery Connect. I am convinced the only reason my school is ok those is because of their pretty graphics. I hate those products!

I have a 0 absence policy. Everything is available no matter what activities students have. I have linked my YouTube videos to Schoology and teach my lessons in short videos. Students can watch these and do their work, without falling behind. Love this!

User in Primary/Secondary Education

"Schoology Review as a School Staff Member"

What do you like best?

Schoology was very helpful in coordinating plans with other faculty staff members on campus.

What do you dislike?

As this is a new program to me there hasn't been any issues so far. I find it unfortunate they removed the remind feature from the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for small campuses.

It is helping us to easily form groups and discussions and problem solve collectively a lot better.

Schoology review by Administrator in Wholesale
Administrator in Wholesale

"Schoology for Corporate Training"

What do you like best?

Schoology is very easy to use and maintain. I like how easy it is to create courses and control access to courses and manage how people are go through the course. Being able to see how long someone is inside the course is helpful in mandatory training. I am just starting to look at the more social aspect of discussions / group postings and that looks very promising as we have been looking for something like this for some time.

What do you dislike?

I would like to have the option of creating students as an instructor and then being able to remove access. In a corporate training environment, we don't want former employees to have access to accounts or groups and it's a time consuming maintenance issue to make sure someone is purged from the system. The Enterprise system might allow for it but it is cost-prohibitive at this point.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Free version is an amazing resource for a small business to create and track training.

Ability to monitor and track required training.