Want to see who topped the 2019 Best Software Awards?

Schoology

(138 reviews)

Schoology has redefined the LMS to make online education a collective effort and to increase the overall impact of everyone involved in a student's education.

Work for Schoology?

Learning about Schoology?

Schoology Reviews

Showing 138 Schoology reviews
Schoology review by Apostolopoulos W.
Apostolopoulos W.

"Schoology... the new Facebook for students and teachers"

What do you like best?

The question is more like what do I love about this technology. This resource is amazing. Every day at the end of the school I am able to place anything ( and I mean anything - worksheets, power points, things from google drive, videos - the entire lesson of the day) up on my page and students and their parents can access it all. If a student left something at school- go onto our page- the homework is there. In modern times, there are no excuses in my classroom that begin with -oh I was absent.... NOPE ... can’t use the absent excuse ever again because it’s always(the days lesson and all of its components) is always posted on Schoology. I can reach my students and they can reach me 24/7.... just like Facebook but totally secure and safe.

What do you dislike?

There’s really only one thing I did not like about the product. Every day when you go to list whatever you want to put on Schoology the first thing he does when it goes to sync on you go to the bottom of the list so as a teacher you have to go on to every single classroom. And move the work up to the top so that is the first thing the kids say. If I could change that the product will be perfect

There is only one complaint I have about I’m solving a lot because I can place every single thing I do up on the web space and students anywhere can access the work there’s no excuses anymore for not having it.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Schoology
Schoology review by Amy M.
Amy M.

"Schoology"

What do you like best?

Schoology is a robust learning management system that has been adopted in my school district. It's a learning hub that is being used to create a customized learning experience for children, a place to track learner progress using the mastery gradebook, and a place where families are able to get a glimpse into their child's school experience and access classroom, school, and district information.

I work with younger children and teachers and am excited at the advances Schoology is making to make the platform accessible to all learners.

What do you dislike?

I really like the LMS, but have a couple of wishes. I wish that educators had the option to give parents/guardians the ability to comment on their child's work. It would be awesome to create a feedback loop for learning.

Schoology is a home base for everyone in the district. In the past, teachers had a variety of spots for children and families to access and/or share information, which was confusing for learners and families.

What Learning Management System (LMS) solution do you use?

Schoology review by Cris R.
Cris R.

"Very convenient program in training"

What do you like best?

I like to use this solution because the design of this service is extremelly simple to use. It has excellent ability to support our corporate education system, and I think this is a better feauture. I think this is the best way to make a target rating that is monitored from one main position and delivered in a standard workflow. This is a useful tool for teachers. I can integrate quizzes and the class book. Students can store their resources for research projects, and I can share links with them so they can access the house.

What do you dislike?

As for me, I have everything I need from this software. The whole process is super fast and organized.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We trust this platform because of its preventive design. It provides an opportunity to support our methods and new trainings, as well as its powerful integration. We like it.

With this platform, you can easily find out all the important information about your audience. You can create simple steps of information about what you should do next. Powerful tools to provide the right audience program. This is a very convenient platform and has great potential once you master the basics.

Schoology review by Vivek A.
Vivek A.

"Very Good"

What do you like best?

I really like Schology because as i am a teacher so with the use off Schoology i am able to improve my learning skills and also i am able to organize my course content in a more effective way.

What do you dislike?

I am not having any dislikes for Schoology as it is very good and useful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As far as i have used Schoology i am having a great experience in using it, so i will recommend everyone to use Schoology as it will help you all to improve your skills and will also save your lots of time.

I have solved many of my problems with the use of Schoology and also i am able to get many benefits out of it.

Like i am able to improve my teaching skills with the use of Schoology.

Also it saves my lots of time.

Schoology review by Hope E.
Hope E.

"The only LMS to meet your K-12 needs"

What do you like best?

Schoology is intuitive and easy to use. It is the only LMS that is appropriate for K-12. Both the students and teachers enjoy using it. The parents like how they are kept informed by Schoology. The free app is also a big bonus. Teachers can grade from it, students can check information and parents can stay on top of what their students are doing. Schoology is also image friendly. That is one of the reasons it is so good for younger grades.

What do you dislike?

New features take a while to become fully functioning. There are using a bit of bugs to work out. Sometimes you need to wait to roll them out, because of the initial bugs and problems.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Schoology may not be perfect, but they do listen to feedback and diligently work on improving.

We are reaching all of our students with Schoology. It has made our 1:1 computer integration successful and student engagement has increased by leaps and bounds.

Schoology review by Norbert M.
Norbert M.

"Great and very comfortable with learning."

What do you like best?

I guess it is the better way of making an aimed rating that is controlled from one main position and delivered in the standard workflow. I like to use that solution because of learning design, its perfect ability to support our useful and new system, and I guess its better future.

What do you dislike?

Really nothing bad about this platform I don't see. As for me, I have everything that I need from that software. All process is super fast and organized.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend this software to you. With this platform, you will easily know all important information about your audience. Also, you will have a chance to increase the students' education. The ability to have open subjects about education qualification. You will concentrate and have the ability to increase all study process.

Actually, its perfect platform which allows to us have nice learning control system that has all the important tools. We have perfect chance to build content, design lessons, and make learning conception.

Schoology review by Maryanna F.
Maryanna F.

"All You Need for teaching in service"

What do you like best?

Schoology is popular with everyone, for students, teachers, and parents. Everyone will find a large number of pluses for themselves. Students like quality interesting lessons. You can continue chatting after classes and ask questions at any time. Students are captivated by the work and communication in Schoology, as it is like communicating in the social networks that are familiar to them. Teachers also like this service for high-quality work, modern and easy interface, a large number of interesting and important tools for work and for an ability to work with different documents. In addition, parents love Schoology, because they can control their children, learn their progress, attend lessons, schedule, etc.

What do you dislike?

Indeed, there are functions that need to be improved, for example, the mobile application is slightly behind the desktop version. Also chatting sometimes hangs, but despite all this, I like to use. Schoology has all I need to work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This platform is qualitative, good and easy. Most importantly than Schoology is interesting for the students.

Working in Schoology is a pleasure. We discuss the material with the students. Honestly, even those who often skipped classes began to visit them more often, because they also want to take part in fascinating conversations, disputes, and games. The product is good, but it all depends on the teacher.

Schoology review by Nancy  R.
Nancy R.

"Schoology (Enterprise Version) - Almost Perfect"

What do you like best?

Schoology is an LMS and like many LMS' it does an excellent job at creating a place where users can communicate and exchange classroom resources and or ideas. The ability to upload a variety of file types and organize items through the use of folders in courses or groups makes finding items easy for members. Courses offer a gradebook, a space for material organization, and updates to ensure that communication between parents, teachers, and students is at the users fingertips.

What do you dislike?

While the "look" is reminiscent of the early stages of Facebook, which makes it very user friendly and intuitive. The "feel" of Schoology definitely lacks much needed simple commands and tasks that have not been addressed since the launch of Schoology based on feedback found in the Schoology help center by the schoology community. A few specific examples: the inability to edit or delete update attachments, inability to create a blank student roster with a native Schoology button, just to name a few.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Compare as many LMS' as you can, and definitely have teachers on board to pilot the item, using real students whenever possible.

Our school district needed a true Learning Management, which is why we adopted Schoology Enterprise. One of the main benefits district wide has been transparency by all users: parents, students, and teachers.

Schoology review by Brenda M.
Brenda M.

"Easy to use platform for all aspects of instruction"

What do you like best?

Schoology allows teachers to create courses and assignments within those courses. You can also add in quizzes that are graded automatically. It makes it easy to set up a classroom routine once students know how to use it. Put in your do nows and assignments, then let students work as you take questions and assist as needed.

What do you dislike?

It can be a little difficult to connect it to our other online platform for grading.

For a professional development session, I created a course and did not have to copy multiple packets. For the classroom, in conjunction with the Classroom app, students can be working and I can be monitoring their work as I circulate and assist. There is less paper to store, also.

Schoology review by Emily S.
Emily S.

"So many features and easy to learn"

What do you like best?

You can do so much with it. I'm not a teacher so I don't use it like most would. I use it to train and share information with teachers. I can post files (and connect OneDrive), make quizzes, get instant data on my "students", share information, make discussions, etc. It is great fr our actually students who will have to learn how to use similar learning management systems in college.

What do you dislike?

I'm really trying to think of things I don't like but I'm not coming up with anything. Again, I don't use it like a teacher would. I'm sure they could come up with a list of features they want. Even then, Schoology is always upping their game by adding new features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really invest in it and roll it out well. If teachers know it is going to stick around, they will invest in learning how to use it and implementing it into their classrooms.

I can get information out to teams of people very quickly and easily and interact with them even when we can't find time to meet face-to-face. Sharing resources got so much easier when our school invested in Schoology.

Schoology review by Kelli R.
Kelli R.

"Schoology"

What do you like best?

As a teacher - it is very easy for me to post assignments , grades, and resources for students and parents. As a parent - this is VERY CONFUSING!!!!! It does appear to be like a "facebook" type of feed, but there are lots of information that is posted that you would have to change your settings. I do like that my children's accounts can be linked into one and that I can message a teacher from the site. As a teacher - parents do not check at the younger grades. It is easier send an email to parents to share important information.

What do you dislike?

Parents do not utilize Schoology at the younger grades. There needs to be training in how to use the program for teachers and parents. Seeing student's grades/report cards you have to click on lots of links just to get information. I want to be able to see an entire report card with comments and grades on one page similar to Progress Book. Site is very confusing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Not recommended for younger grades - good fit for middle school and high school students/parents

It is similar to a Facebook type feed so it is a very easy format that is familiars to families.

Schoology review by Jesica B.
Jesica B.

"Very good platform to increase our education skills. "

What do you like best?

I like the open way of education session. I can make productive work. To make my lessons interesting to my audience. The easy way to be more bright at knowledge. I like that I can increase education level.

What do you dislike?

A good solution to sort out a lot of information. I have nothing negative about this software. To learn about that product is quite simple. Everything in the right place. A lot of information is coming and time to time cant find the right page which I necessary need.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The software is wonderful. Very good to know all information about students. The ability to have open subjects about education skills. Gives a right to control all students progress. You can create easy steps of information what to follow next. Powerful tools to give a right program to the audience.

The very good way to work with that software. The ability to work on new learning system. Very strong integration of knowledge. We are working with higher trust. And completely sure that this big step in learning system will make a big change.

Schoology review by Amanda L.
Amanda L.

"Schoology: An sophisticated LMS"

What do you like best?

As an avid user of Schoology, I thoroughly enjoy the functionality of the assessment feature. Schoology's app is also extremely attractive compared to other LMS programs.

What do you dislike?

I have reached out to Schoology several times about allowing teachers to pay individually for Schoology.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Schoology is a reliable LMS. However, the app occasionally experiences some issues. I found the website Schoology.com extremely efficient. There have been instances when the website has gone down, but overall, Schoology provides frequent input about when the site will be updated. I have also participated in several Schoology surveys, which clearly demonstrates that they care about the user feedback. The Schoology groups are also incredibly helpful. Anyone new to using Schoology should join the community of users on the Schoology Educators group. The group includes a diverse array of Schoology users (both Enterprise and Basic) that help troubleshoot and share instructional materials. It is a wonderful resource.

As an avid user of Schoology, I thoroughly enjoy the functionality of the assessment feature. Having explored many other online quiz and assessment websites, I strongly recommend this platform due to its various features that simply not offered on other tools without having to pay for them. Schoology connects to other instructional apps like Back Channel, Khan Academy, and Youtube. Overall, Schoology is reliable and includes many features that Google Suite does not offer.

Schoology review by Birte F.
Birte F.

"Handy tool to track grades and assignments"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of connecting assignments and grades into the Gradebook.

I also like that parents can access their kid's grades at any time even though not all parents have signed up.

What do you dislike?

Once you have a lot of data (grades) it takes a while to load the most recent entry columns.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a very user friendly platform and has a lot of potential once you have mastered the basics. It requires some training but it can make assessing across multiple groups and planning for a team very easy.

I am looking forward to exploring the tools more and creating more assessments with rubrics that can save paper and make grading and marking easier for years to come.

We are tracking students' progress through a standards based grading system. This program enables us to track their progress while sharing it with their parents in real-time.

Schoology review by Tanya S.
Tanya S.

"Schoology has changed my life as a teacher"

What do you like best?

It allows me to communicate more efficiently with parents and to eliminate excuses from students. It makes my students more productive when I am out with a sub - instruction and learning can continue because it is like I am there.

What do you dislike?

I wish that our district SIS was more compatible with Schoology. This is an issue on the SIS side not Schoology.I would like to see Schoology be able to handle PEIMS submissions so it would take the place of the SIS.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is the easiest and most user friendly LMS around. It is a game changer.

Students lose less time when absent because all materials are accessible 24/7. Parents have more responsibility and access to their students work because they see everything their student sees. I like how FERPA rights are protected with what parents see when they log in.

Schoology review by Tracy B.
Tracy B.

"Easy to use for students and teachers"

What do you like best?

It is easy to use and syncs with our student information system, really like to integration with Google and Google Drive. Schoology makes putting assignments, tests, and quizzes online easy for the teacher. You can archive your assignments to use for future use. The administrative setup is very easy. We use PowerSchool as our student information system and we have had no issues syncing user data as well as syncing our gradebook with Schoology. Our teachers use Schoology daily.

What do you dislike?

Some times there are syncing errors, syncing users can be tricky when using Google Sync. There isn't much to not like about this program. It is a little expensive but they keep adding features which helps with the cost.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a Google Apps for Education school this would be a great addition to your students and staff.

Easy access to assignments and tests. The new integration with Google Drive has been a great addition for teachers and students. Teachers can create a Google Doc for all students to use, the student then automatically makes a copy of that document and can use the document for essays, discussions, or collaborations with other students. The document then gets sent and submitted to the teacher. It shows the date and time the document was submitted just like a normal assignment. All of our teachers have been impressed with this new feature especially since we are a Google Apps for Education school.

Schoology review by Tami H.
Tami H.

"Cutting Edge LMS: Schoology"

What do you like best?

We transitioned to the Schoology LMS last spring and our staff and students love the platform. It is very teacher and student friendly. The gradebook is versatile gives real-time reports with meaningful information for both staff and students.

The leadership team at Schoology is proactive and listen to the needs of their customers. They roll out new features frequently and seek advice from key stakeholders.

What do you dislike?

I would like to see a way to roll out curriculum edits from a district level to all courses using the materials and assessments in an easy manner. So far this is not available if you are allowing access via the smartphone apps for students.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have worked with several other LMS platforms and just completed my Ed.D. which required work in several platforms. I have found Schoology to be the most pleasant to engage with as an administrator of curriculum, teacher, and student.

The LMS allows us to roll out curriculum to schools in multiple states and manage resources and reports. Students and staff love that it models current social media interface patterns. Teachers like that they can communicate with students and even send them a recorded video with feedback if the student is unable to be in class for awhile.

Schoology review by Administrator in Primary/Secondary Education
Administrator in Primary/Secondary Education

"Schoology - good for grades and assignments"

What do you like best?

I appreciate the ability to view all of my students, and give assignments that they can submit through the portal and immediately receive a grade. It also gives students a place to collect and organize all their learning materials, and access resources whenever they'd like. It has an interface much like Facebook, thus making it intuitive and easy to use among all generations. I especially enjoy and appreciate the assessment features of Schoology. I'ma able to proctor exams through the website, as well as easily grade the exams. It's green friendly in the fact that I no longer use paper in my classes.

What do you dislike?

It frequently will crash or delete students, and needs to be managed by my district's IT department. At times it also will log out some users and delete content. It also lacks many simple features that would allow for an easier experience.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You certainly should look into Schoology, but investigate the resources that your school has. If you could afford something more, then maybe you should upgrade.

It's an easier way to manage my thirty-eight students. I've benefited from the ability to grade my students immediately and have their grades updated on a weekly basis, for the student's and their parent's sake. No longer is there the need to have face-to-face dialogue as students are able to see how they have scored and why they scored the way that they did.

Schoology review by Laura J.
Laura J.

"Schoology as a Learning Management Platform"

What do you like best?

I appreciate that Schoology can be the "one stop shop" for my students throughout their entire school day. Assignments, quizzes, discussion forums, media albums, portfolios, links, videos, and files can all be listed and accessed through Schoology and several sites (such as Padlet and YouTube) embed their content right into the page.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that currently, in the iPad version, there isn't a way for students to see a list of their missing assignments. It would be extremely beneficial to add this. Also parents seem to have a difficult time navigating Schoology and finding the information they need-- we hear many parent complaints but it could just be because we have only been using the program for going on 4 years now. Additionally I have found that the app, especially on mobile devices, could be more user-friendly and aesthetically pleasing. On some pages, a desktop view is the only option, with tiny print and buttons. It should be upgraded to have maximum functionality as an app, especially because this is the way that the majority of the users in our district use it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Schoology has all the functionality of Google classroom with more features. This teacher definitely recommends it!

It is easy to collaborate as a grade level team and share resources through Schoology. I am also able to communicate with parents and students, upload content, grade student submissions and create personalized learning experiences for my students through the platform of Schoology.

Schoology review by Lin N.
Lin N.

"The fast and better way to learning."

What do you like best?

With this software, I and my audience can have a centralized place to continue important discussions after class. Much better to increase connection and sharing via departments.

What do you dislike?

Nothing to add bad about the work with this platform. It is very open subject and doesn't have any problems at all.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The wonderful platform which will bring a lot of help. With this software, you can simply to make an objectives-aligned rating that is controllable from one central position and delivered in the normal course workflow.

For sure, it makes learning and training simpler, much easy. I can say that it makes flexible, self-paced courses. We can control and track all our progress. Also, we can create a better data-informed resolution. The great platform which helps us to grow employee engagement.

Schoology review by Brittany B.
Brittany B.

"Schoology Review"

What do you like best?

Schoology is a great resource to use to keep the digital side of one's classroom organized and regulated. Teachers, students, and parents, alike, can join the class with a special code so that every member is always in the loop regarding what is going on in class.

What do you dislike?

Schoology is not always the easiest tool for people to learn. Now that I have become familiar with it, it is useful for me, but for parents/ students, I have found that some may struggle with getting the hang of accessing the tools they need through the program.

Now that education is becoming increasingly more dependent on technology, this is a great tool to use to help students succeed since all of the materials, assignments, grades, etc., are in one place.

Schoology review by Chang B.
Chang B.

"The best learning system"

What do you like best?

Most what I like that a great way of the education session. Gives me a chance to make my teaching and the pupils learning stronger. Easy to use. Making a cooperative way of learning.

What do you dislike?

I like that software. I have nothing bad to say about the platform. We are working on that solution and it's quite nice. Yes, sometimes I have confused about how to find some page which I need.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for students and gives perfect way to check their progress, will be easy to see what will come next. Everything what you will need for teaching. I recommend it.

We trust that platform because of its preventative design. Gives the ability to support our methods and new teaching, and its powerful integration.We like it.

Schoology review by Kurtis W.
Kurtis W.

"Schoology is Worth the Money Comparing to Google Classroom"

What do you like best?

Schoology offers teachers an interactive classroom management tool for assignments and submissions that is easy to use.

What do you dislike?

Schoology does not have a spell check factor and it can be disheartening when putting together lesson goals, objectives, and directions in an assignment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pros: As a teacher I really like this program (there is also an app for Android and IPhones). This allows parnets in Schoolog to keep track of their child's grade and puts accountability of the big three - teachers, students, and parents. The timestamp feature allows me to see EXACTLY when assignments have been completed. A grading system is available, although it is not utilized by our school district.Quizzes and tests and other assessments (inlcuding rubrics) can be created with Schoology. I have especially enjoyed the "Archives" section where I can search through assignments that I did last year, copy & paste, and then make improvements year-in/year-out. The interface looks similar to Facebook and easy to navigate on a computer.

Cons: None of the parents really talk about the App or the ease of use that Schoology represents on the computer. Rubrics and tests can be cumbersome to create and there is no spell check for typing purposes! When Google Slides is uploaded it generally has some formatting errors too. My school district has not implemented a connection with Infinite Campus (I'm not sure if PowerSchools does). Therefore, current grades, absences & lateness, and homework assignments are all posted in Infiniate Campus and not Schoology - even though those features are avaialble.

Overall: - An excellent educational tool that allows for accountability on all grounds.

Schoology is meant for more educational institutions. However, data can be collected with Schoology in a variety of ways.

Schoology review by Erika M.
Erika M.

"Schoology Review"

What do you like best?

I love how easy Schoology is to use, and how it is a "one stop shop" as far as teaching goes. I can assign and collect homework, post updates, communicate with students, give quizzes and tests, and track grades and data.

What do you dislike?

There really isn't anything I dislike about Schoology; it is one of my favorite teaching tools.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you understand all of the capabilities of Schoology; don't sell yourself short when using it! There are so many features that will make your teaching life much easier.

Teaching has become much easier with Schoology. Schoology eliminates having to manually collect papers, and it solves the issue of students claiming they turned something in when they did not. I can track when students open assignments, when they submit, and the assignments are there all year long, so I can refer back to the assignments for data tracking at any time. It is a wonderful way to keep myself and students organized.

Schoology review by Administrator in Education Management
Administrator in Education Management

"Schoology's Classroom Applications"

What do you like best?

Schoology Streamlines the teaching process on many different levels. It allows me to layer more peer to peer interaction, immediately assess my students and also puts my mind at easy when I need a substitute teacher in the classroom. Schoology has made my life so much easier in many circumstances and I will continue to use it to enhance my students learning experience.

A feature of schoology I have begun to use this year involves creating discussion threads for most of my sections of Psychology. I am able to pose a discussion question in relation to the units subject matter and allow students to continue their discussions outside of the classroom. This allows me to not only supplement what we cover in class, but also move the curriculum forward under the rigors of an AP schedule. The discussion thread is also made easy to assess from the teachers point of view. I can simply select a students name and see exactly what/when they have written their threads.

I begin and end each class with an assessment for my students. I used to have students journal their responses and would have to wait until class was over to assess their responses. Now, with schoology I can see their response appear in real time as they are completing the assessment. Each student's name appears as they finish and I can change the entire dynamic of my lesson based on their response. I can modify if they are struggling with a concept or redirect in the right direction if they are struggling. This tool is invaluable for a teacher who needs to modify on the fly.

The ability to create and post assignments when I am not able to attend school has been life saving. Instead of relying on a substitute that is not qualified to teach my subject to drive the curriculum I can communicate with students through the schoology messenger, provide assignments, insert videos/'links or even provide notes for that days lesson. With an infant at home who gets sick often, it has been an immense help keeping my AP/IB Curriculum moving in the right direction.

The final keynote I would like to end on in this review has to be the time schoology has saved me. I no longer run off copies of material and no longer have to grade by hand. I have cut my prep time for each of my courses in half because each courses material is kept in the "resources" section of my schoology account. Each year I simply go into my resources to add each days assignment and material. I also grade all of my essays on schoology while using the turnitin.com app. This allows me to not only grade quickly using the rubrics have saved in my schoology resources, but allows me to simultaneously check for plagiarism.

Schoology has changed the way I reach my students and has saved me an incredible amount of time in my preparation for teaching. I use it daily and plan to use it in the unforeseeable future.

What do you dislike?

Honestly there is not a whole lot not to like. Currently my district has purchased the enterprise package which links our power school grade book to schoology. I have yet to connect the two as I am a bit weary of the connection and whether I lose my grades in one, that I will lose my grades in both. Therefore, I still transfer my grades from schoology to powerschool manually, which doesn't take me any more time then it did when I was transferring it from hard copy assignments.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Saves time and allows for much better instruction.

Faster/Real Time Assessment

Modify Lesson Planning on the Fly

More Peer to Peer Interaction

Less Prep time organizing hard copy material

Easier to connect with an entire class or section

Every Lesson/Assignment is stored for later use

Less time grading tests/essays

Schoology review by User

"Better than Blackboard"

What do you like best?

The best part of Schoology is that it lists upcoming due dates on the far right side, which takes you to a full calendar with each of your papers or assignments listed in calendar layout. I also like that I can choose my notification settings, so I can choose to receive emails about messages that have been sent to me, but to not be notified directly for other things, such as grade input or new documents uploaded.

What do you dislike?

There's not much to dislike regarding Schoology. I've found it very user-friendly and easy to learn. I do not use the app, so I cannot speak for that, but I do wish that the app required less memory so it could easily fit my phone's available space.

Schoology has made it easy to communicate across classes, both to professors and the entire cohort. With the availability of forums and connection to Turn-It-In, it has made schoolwork more consolidated because all of our assignments are doable or able to be turned in on the same platform of Schoology.

"I Love Schoology "

What do you like best?

As an Educator, there are so many benefits of using Schoology. I personally believe that Schoology appeals to our new generation of students because it resembles social media outlets that they are familiar with. I love the fact that you can personalize courses and groups to meet your needs.You can download apps to add to your course that make your class more personal. I downloaded a backchannel chat app to my courses which allows me to have a discussion with my students in the form of an instant messenger. This really appeals to students and they look forward to working on it every day.

What do you dislike?

I do believe that there are several things that the platform can improve on. A lot of schools are still using Chromebooks and Google and I do not believe that Schoology and Google are 100% compatible. A student has to download items as alternate files before they can upload them to assignments on Schoology. I also wish that the format was a little softer. It resembles Facebook back in 2009 and I think it should have a makeover to meet the minimalist needs of the up and coming generation.

The great part about Schoology is that the entire institution can use it as a learning platform as it meets the needs of all teachers across departments.

Schoology review by User in Education Management
User in Education Management

"I enjoy that I can upload and receive assignments, tests and activities all in one place. "

What do you like best?

I love that I can put a test on Schoology and I can decide how I want it grades or if I want it averaged into a multiple attempt situation. I also love that I can give students the option to take an assessment over and fix their mistakes digitally. No more papers to grade!!

What do you dislike?

I dislike that I cannot share activeinspire flip charts. The files cannot be supported by Schoology and they are too large. It would be nice to be able to use the progressive flipped classroom model and I simply cannot do that with Schoology.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It’s a life saver. It stops me from having piles stack up and tons to grade. I love it.

It saves me a ton of time grading and passing out assessments and assignments. It also allows students to work remotely such as on the bus or at home using the app. It has made my life much easier with grading as the students have instant feedback on multiple choice questions. Furthermore, it has saved me from having to use so much paper! I can use the same or edited assignments for all of my class sections without ever running to the copier because I was one or two short.

Schoology review by Administrator in Primary/Secondary Education
Administrator in Primary/Secondary Education

"Easy to communicate with students"

What do you like best?

I like the student calendar best so I can post assignments and send alerts to my classes

What do you dislike?

Students can turn off email alerts, so unless they sign in, they won't see my posts. Additionally, Schoology is not compatible with the grading management software we use (Aspen) so teachers have to double enter data. Finally, some teachers are beginning to like Google Classroom more, and since we are google user school, Google classroom fits nicely with a lot of other programs we use in the Google Suite.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Is it easy to go back and forth from other programs you use, or will students have to log on to many different programs?

The problem it is solving is that it helps is with our blended learning. We can do so much on Schoology (discussions, assignment submissions, and posting directions, examples, lessons) and it's great for students who are absent too. They can log in and see what happened in class.

Schoology review by Sean C.
Sean C.

"Schoology - A Great Way to Connect Students and their Families with the Educational Experience"

What do you like best?

Schoology is a seamless platform that provides interactivity with other resources to bring together best practices for engagement, instruction, and communication.

What do you dislike?

Schoology is still in the process of perfecting its direct integration with some resources. Of course, there are always new resources to work with, so this will be an ongoing project.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pilot for one year with the basic account to fmiliarize with the platform, then go live with the enterprise edition.

Connecting with students, providing that extra learning space of blended learning, reaching out to students' families.

Schoology review by Annemarie R.
Annemarie R.

"Useful tool for educators"

What do you like best?

This is a useful tool for educators. I am able to integrate quizzes and the grade book. Students can store their resources for research projects and I can share links with them that they can access at home. After reading an article, students can answer questions on a discussion board. The students state, it feels like Facebook. The discussion boards are great for sharing ideas throughout the district. Presenters can follow-up with attendees of workshops as well. Additionally, my colleagues and I are able to share lesson plans and other resources. This can easily help an office transition to a paperless system. In fact, we no longer print out multiple copies of plans to share with supervisors. Each grade level has a folder in which to drop plans so they can be reviewed.

What do you dislike?

There is a learning curve that some staff members are not willing to overcome.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you utilize Schoology, make sure staff is given plenty of professional development not only in the logging in and setting up but also in the optimization of use even with elementary students. Too often staff is handed a new tool and expected to use it but not given hands on training in a timely manner.

This has been helpful in reducing the amount of paper we need. Collaboration can occur across the district. it minimizes the number of meetings the staff needs to have.

Schoology review by Dan T.
Dan T.

"Everything in one place!"

What do you like best?

Schoology is fantastic at bringing all aspects of classroom management together into one streamlined interface. The Schoology team has also done a fantastic job at collaborating and integrating with other school softwares and utilities (such as EduCannon, TurnItIn, and Google Drive).

What do you dislike?

New feature implementation can take a while. The Schoology Team does a fantastic job at continually looking at new ways to improve the free and enterprise products. Sometimes, however, it can take a while for these features to make their way from development to user once announced as approved or being worked on.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Schoology offers two price tiers: Free & Premium. All basic features and functionality are available to free users. Free users can enjoy the benefits of basic features such as digital gradebook tracking, attendance (per course), creation of multiple courses (and sections within each course), parent account activation (for student feedback), and online testing (with automated grading).

For those looking more in-depth features, the premium tier also offers campus administration functionality, including site-wide analysis. It also unlocks additional assessment features for instructors to create unique quiz and test experiences beyond the standard multiple choice, fill in the blank, or short answer options.

Schoology has allowed us to streamline the individual aspects of classroom management. Before Schoology, tasks such as attendance, grading, and parent/instructor/student feedback have all utilized their own system. In class, instructors can use a single interface to perform these various jobs, resulting in a more efficient workflow.

"Good functionality"

What do you like best?

I love that I can organize class information into folders for my students. I also love how it is integrated with videos/Quizlet and other tools that can be accessed directly from Schoology instead of redirecting students to another site. Keeps things simple and organized.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the mobile format my students get. Since all the folders cascade into each other, those with executive functioning issues need me to locate folders for them every time because they can't choose between folders.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think that viewing an already designed course is important for new Schoology users. Many of the older teachers at my school don't use it because they don't know where to start and haven't seen how wonderfully it can work. Just seeing it would help people get motivated.

Schoology has allowed me to let my students work more independently. Those that are capable of using and searching for tools really benefit from being able to access materials and submit them as they finish/on their own time. It's very convenient for teaching organization and time management skills to upper elementary students. I love it and use it regularly.

Schoology review by Andreas U.
Andreas U.

"Schoology Basic in review: Enough LMS to get started in Blended Learning?"

What do you like best?

Schoology comes - even in its free, 'Basic' version - with all the features of an elaborated LMS. All material can be freely rearranged via drag & drop, which makes it easy to change the sequence of a lesson. Material can easily be moved from one folder or even course to another. This supports the reuse of teaching material.

What do you dislike?

In the free, 'Basic' version of Schoology, which I use, you must click into a page to view its content.

You can not choose to display a page inline, so that its content is expanded and visible from the Materials page or from the folder level, without having to click on the page, as possible with the 'Enterprise' version.

I try to realise a Blended Learning concept with a couple of classes at the vocational school centre and the College of Further Education I teach at. Schoology, rich in features even in its 'Basic' version and with a short learning curve made it easy to implement my Blended Learning concept.

Schoology review by Stephanie H.
Stephanie H.

"What would I do without Schoology?"

What do you like best?

As a technology instructor, Schoology is my ultimate source of organizing thoughts, resources, links, and files all into one cohesive place. Because of the school-wide calendar, it is an easy place to deliver content to students in the form of "assignments". I like how I can embed or attach Google Drive files directly to assignments with further resources (this means I don't have to change 5 different assignment details if I teach 5 different classes). They also have excellent customer service -- quick and effective.

What do you dislike?

As with any platform that integrates new features, I am not a fan of the new Turnitin LTI or PowerSchool app integration. However, as this is the 2nd year of the Powerschool app gradebook sync and almost the first couple months of the new Turnitin LTI, Schoology continues to listen to our suggestions and complaints on the feature request forums. While it may be difficult to use in some aspects, Schoology's engineers are continuously building the platform that it is more user-friendly based on our feedback.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have a way to link student assignment grades with your SIS. We use PowerSchool as our SIS, and Schoology conveniently has an app that lets teachers sync, but not all SISs have an app with Schoology. Maybe teachers will have to enter grades in through another system that is separate from Schoology.

We are trying to unify teacher notifications and assignments to students. Similar to having a shared agenda and file folder between students and a teachers, Schoology provides the bridge between 24/7 access to resources used in the classroom. One of our struggles with this is not having all teachers on board, but as this is our 4th year using Schoology, more teachers are beginning to take on the challenge of attaching documents to calendar assignments, posting resources in files, organizing folders by units, etc.

Schoology review by User in Higher Education

"An underpowered learning management system"

What do you like best?

I like that I can quickly see materials for a specific course. I can divide students into grading groups and give separate assignments to each group. I can customize my notifications so I know when students complete assignments.

What do you dislike?

The assignment functions are difficult for both students and instructors to navigate. To assign a particular assignment, you must open the activity, click edit, choose points and a due date. The assignment will show up in the instructor and student's upcoming list only if they are logged in to the correct course and the due date hasn't passed. If a student misses an assignment, it disappears from the upcoming list. If a student completes and submits an assignment, it stays on the upcoming list making it difficult for a student to see what they still need to complete. 2 students can't have the same email address so I can't use a parent email address for a student. That means notifications don't get to students. The grade book doesn't show assignments students don't complete. The grading tool sometimes won't let me enter a grade, even though I entered a point value for the assignment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are considering Schoology as a platform, I would recommend Canvas instead. After using both at different institutions, Canvas is more user-friendly, intuitive and powerful.

I am managing individually paced student learning. I can make a separate class for each student or have separate assignments for students in one class.

"Schoology"

What do you like best?

I love using Schoology! It's a great way for me to share information with my students. I post all assignments on schoology and my students turn in all of their work on Schoology. I have students complete online discussions that get even the quiet students talking. I post all of my notes on schoology so that even students that were absent can keep up with what's going on. I like that I can post "updates" for my classes and students receive an email and a notification. I also like that I can copy things from old sections of a course and not re-create everything for each new section of a class. The students and parents like that they can find all of their class information/worksheets/notes, etc. in one place for all classes.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much that I dislike about schoology. They are always updating and improving.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think there's a free version that you can use to try it out first. It's worth trying and has a great community that you can ask questions.

Organization and distribution of information to Students and parents.

Schoology review by Ai A.
Ai A.

"Schoology"

What do you like best?

Interface is easy to use and understand. User can also customize the file organization to make it more accessible. Integration with Google classroom.

What do you dislike?

I'm using the free version; so some things I guess are not available. But I would like to be able to copy class resources and assignment from term to term, or class to class, instead of having to place them in the shared folder and then add them to the new class/term. I am also not too fond of the limitations of the rubric. I wish it'll allow me to create a score range; for e.g. A=95-100 and the instructor can put in a score. But we are limited to the point system which sometimes is not an accurate reflection of a student's grade.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Better than google classroom. My favorite feature: visual hint of resubmitted work. Really helps.

Education

Schoology review by Candice O.
Candice O.

"Schoology for the win!"

What do you like best?

I can post to several classes at one time or just one. There is a documented list of assignments for the entire school year in a timeline. I can create tests and quizzes that are instantly graded.

What do you dislike?

There is definitely a learning curve and it takes some time to fine tune exactly how you want to use it for your class.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I definitely recommend that everyone on a team uses Schoology so that teachers, students, and parents have one single interface to check.

Parents and students have access so it lessens the number of emails received.

Schoology review by User in Education Management
User in Education Management

"Schoology: Changing Education for the Better"

What do you like best?

I love the ability to support my students and assess their learning regardless of where I am in the room or beyond. Schoology has allowed me to build educational playlists and sequenced learning modules that support and challenge my students on a regular basis. It has allow my students better control over the path, pace, time, and place of learning.

What do you dislike?

I have had a holistically positive experience with Schoology. They continue to update, add features, and seek feedback from users, which is essential in the growth of this platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend downloading the app, in addition to using the web platform. Following Schoology on Twitter and joining user groups are a great way to stay up to date on the newest features and gain insights from other users.

As a teacher, I am meeting the needs of my students with a higher level of immediacy. In addition, I am able to effective implement a blended learning model in my classroom, providing students with individualized and personalized learning opportunities on a daily basis.

Schoology review by Hieu N.
Hieu N.

"A Great Alternative To Edmodo"

What do you like best?

Schoology is the primary tool I use to communicate with my teacher. When I used it to help the instructor communication with the class is easy as well. The core features of Schoology is the neat discussion boards where you can easily assign a grade to a student as you are reading along. For the student's perspective the site is very reminiscent of Facebook. It has slick design with likes and replies. When it comes to grading and submitting assignments I have had no problems with Schoology. It allows multiple ways to submit an assignment, so it can fit your personal preference. Because it has a app, if I assign homework at night the student can be notified ahead of time.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how when students have a long discussion Schoology would eventually end it with overflow. It is definitely very annoying for both the grader and student as it shows a restriction to their want to learn and communicate. The app also lacks many features of the desktop site, which can be annoying to students who have an obsession with their phone. Their "seamless" integration with google apps can be dodgy at times to as it makes words smaller.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is very easy to use for both students and for teachers. I have been on both sides of the spectrum, so I can attest to it. It is what I believe to me a good alternative to Edmodo. The platform works wonders for AP Computer Science classes, regular computer sciences classes, or even other technology classes.

Grading has become more fast and efficient as well as paperless. A very minimum use of paper is needed now in the class.

Schoology review by Kate P.
Kate P.

"Great program with even better benefits "

What do you like best?

I love how this program makes teaching all of my students so simple. I can also reach different levels of learners and differentiate my instruction based on what each individual needs.

What do you dislike?

I’ve only had a few minor errors with the grading. I also wish that there was the ability for students to graph something on an assessment but I get around that by providing pictures.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It saves tons of time in the long run and supports students needs to be working with technology.

I Schoology makes the grading and lesson planning process easier.

Schoology review by User

"Best Course Sharing Tool Ever! A Must Use!"

What do you like best?

What I like best about Schoology is it is a great tool to share assignments, place events such as homework, tests, and school holidays in the calendar, the ability for students to easily contact me through Schoology messages; which allows them to be proactive about what they need, instead of parents calling to check up what has to be done. I also like the new layout of the website.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike about Schoology is sometimes I wish I had to option to integrate my private email with Schoology, so I could send messages directly through my gmail instead of the school district provided email or the Schoology website/app,

I also dislike the combination of the new design of the website with the old design of the website. For example, when you go to look at previous messages that have been sent, the website will revert to the old layout instead of the far better new layout.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When thinking about Schoology, I would say it is a must have for any teacher who wants their course material available to their students. Schoology is a truly powerful tool, as parents will call less frequently because their students have access to Schoology, so they can check what the homework assigned is without calling.

Some problems that are currently being solved is the integration of Schoology with Office 365, as the built-in progress sharing on essays isn't working as it is supposed to.

Schoology review by Liz L.
Liz L.

"One Stop Shop for All Educational Needs"

What do you like best?

I love the ease of use of Schoology. From staff, teachers, administrators, students, and parents, it is simply easy to use. It can help students and staff stay organized and consistent across the various educational levels of a district.

What do you dislike?

I would like for them to get rid of using Flash.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Absolutely get this phenomenal LMS!

Schoology has allowed us to bring the academic into our students homes, never really missing a beat, even if they are sick. Staff can do professional development at home in easy to create and complete modules.

Schoology review by Jay P.
Jay P.

"Schoology - useful for homework and collaboration"

What do you like best?

I like that Schoology offers an easy way to manage classes of students, their assignments, and works with Chromebooks and iPads easily including many apps such as Goodnotes.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the layout. It can be confusing to navigate from time to time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have a few dedicated people who know the program inside and out. Also make sure you have someone designated to create and manage the students and classes overall.

We are moving closer and closer to going entirely paperless. Homework and tests were a big part of that, and they are now on Schoology.

Schoology review by David W.
David W.

"Best LMS on the Market"

What do you like best?

The ease of use for Schoology is a huge selling feature. The fact that we can get teachers up and running in a handful of training sessions with individual teachers. We still run some individual training sessions to help out with specific issues but overall our teachers are fully operational. The ability to run online assessments and have data analysis automatically is a huge benefit. We also like the use of online discussions and the improved integration with Google Drive.

What do you dislike?

I know they are working on this but the user interface is ready for an update.

Schoology provides a home base for our students and teachers. It is the place where we store our educational materials and run many of our school groups.

Schoology review by Herring M.
Herring M.

"Wonderful Learning Management System"

What do you like best?

I love the Schoology interface. The interface is attractive and easily accessible. It is very easy to use. It makes the tech novice feel comfortable and able to use this tool. Schoology has been a blessing to use and connect and keep students on track in the classroom. I like the parent portal. Parents have access to see the assignments that are required of their students and see their grades. I like that Schoology can be integrated with our grading management system and other tools we use in our system.

What do you dislike?

I don't the fact if you don't have a class but you want to be able to connect with the students. You have to create a class or group and add the students individually. When you have 1600 students, it is very time consuming. In other LMS programs, I could create a file with their information, upload it, and then the file adds the students to the class I created. I also don't like the file size restrictions. I was doing an orientation for the school and didn't realize there was a restriction and the file was way too big and orientation was about to begin and I had to come up with plan b, c, and d. Youtube ended up being my savior in this crisis.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very user friendly. I would highly recommend it if you are looking for a new learning management system.

We use Schoology for our Learning Management System for our school. This is how we connect with our teachers, students, and parents. Our teachers can use this to post assignments, give tests, grade tests, grade assignments, and add resources for students to use in class.

Schoology review by Michele G.
Michele G.

"Helpful class management tool"

What do you like best?

I like that schoology offers a calendar and different sections for teachers to use in posting materials. Schoology also has easy ways to upload rubrics and view grades/comments. I also like that you can link in other websites/information.

What do you dislike?

I find it really challenging to navigate and see where certain posts are within a web page. Sometimes schoology can be a little finicky with particular websites that are uploaded or how to view the website on schoology.

I used schoology when working in a middle school to keep track of students' grades, assignments and missing work. It is a helpful tool for students to see what is missing and what is not missing. I think if organized in the right way, it could really be a great online system for classrooms.

Schoology review by Stephen R.
Stephen R.

"Schoology is the complete solution for the 21st century classroom."

What do you like best?

Schoology allows my 3rd-5th grade students log in and know exactly where to go when they come to my classroom. It allows my students to have one central location to everything they need. Whether they need to go to another website, take a quiz, watch a YouTube video, complete an assignment, or upload an assignment...everything goes through Schoology.

What do you dislike?

The only dislike I have with Schoology is that I wish badges were given automatically based on a certain score achieved.

For business, I am trying to solve the abundance of emails within the department. We are achieving this by using Schoology as a place for our department to have a group. In this group, we can provide updates and showcase resources that are easily shared.

Schoology review by Teresa D.
Teresa D.

"Transform your Classroom"

What do you like best?

Students can work through assignments at their own pace and I can assign work to individuals or small groups. It makes differentiating a breeze when students can only see the work assigned to them. I can also design online discussions for my students to participate in, sharing their ideas and backing them with evidence.

What do you dislike?

I wish the question formats aligned better to what students will see on the PARCC standardized tests. I would love to see graph integration and other advanced questioning. I would also like to be able to set options for completion. For example, it would be nice to allow students to complete 2 of 4 options and then move on to the next folder.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ask students for feedback and make changes accordingly. Also, be ready to model using the system to students at the beginning of the year as they learn routines.

This helps provide the structure for self-paced learning, which benefits students across the spectrum of abilities. It enables students to keep working even if one or two students are being disruptive, since they do not have to wait for direct instruction. It also helps students who are absent keep up with work.

Learning about Schoology?

* We monitor all Schoology reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.