Schoology

Schoology has redefined the LMS to make online education a collective effort and to increase the overall impact of everyone involved in a student's education.

Work for Schoology?

Learning about Schoology?

Schoology Reviews

Filter ReviewsClear All Filters
  • Industry (1)
Industry (1)
Showing 33 Schoology reviews
Schoology review by Amanda L.
Amanda L.

"Schoology: An sophisticated LMS"

What do you like best?

As an avid user of Schoology, I thoroughly enjoy the functionality of the assessment feature. Schoology's app is also extremely attractive compared to other LMS programs.

What do you dislike?

I have reached out to Schoology several times about allowing teachers to pay individually for Schoology.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Schoology is a reliable LMS. However, the app occasionally experiences some issues. I found the website Schoology.com extremely efficient. There have been instances when the website has gone down, but overall, Schoology provides frequent input about when the site will be updated. I have also participated in several Schoology surveys, which clearly demonstrates that they care about the user feedback. The Schoology groups are also incredibly helpful. Anyone new to using Schoology should join the community of users on the Schoology Educators group. The group includes a diverse array of Schoology users (both Enterprise and Basic) that help troubleshoot and share instructional materials. It is a wonderful resource.

As an avid user of Schoology, I thoroughly enjoy the functionality of the assessment feature. Having explored many other online quiz and assessment websites, I strongly recommend this platform due to its various features that simply not offered on other tools without having to pay for them. Schoology connects to other instructional apps like Back Channel, Khan Academy, and Youtube. Overall, Schoology is reliable and includes many features that Google Suite does not offer.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Schoology
Schoology review by Birte F.
Birte F.

"Handy tool to track grades and assignments"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of connecting assignments and grades into the Gradebook.

I also like that parents can access their kid's grades at any time even though not all parents have signed up.

What do you dislike?

Once you have a lot of data (grades) it takes a while to load the most recent entry columns.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a very user friendly platform and has a lot of potential once you have mastered the basics. It requires some training but it can make assessing across multiple groups and planning for a team very easy.

I am looking forward to exploring the tools more and creating more assessments with rubrics that can save paper and make grading and marking easier for years to come.

We are tracking students' progress through a standards based grading system. This program enables us to track their progress while sharing it with their parents in real-time.

What Learning Management System (LMS) solution do you use?

Schoology review by Laura J.
Laura J.

"Schoology as a Learning Management Platform"

What do you like best?

I appreciate that Schoology can be the "one stop shop" for my students throughout their entire school day. Assignments, quizzes, discussion forums, media albums, portfolios, links, videos, and files can all be listed and accessed through Schoology and several sites (such as Padlet and YouTube) embed their content right into the page.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that currently, in the iPad version, there isn't a way for students to see a list of their missing assignments. It would be extremely beneficial to add this. Also parents seem to have a difficult time navigating Schoology and finding the information they need-- we hear many parent complaints but it could just be because we have only been using the program for going on 4 years now. Additionally I have found that the app, especially on mobile devices, could be more user-friendly and aesthetically pleasing. On some pages, a desktop view is the only option, with tiny print and buttons. It should be upgraded to have maximum functionality as an app, especially because this is the way that the majority of the users in our district use it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Schoology has all the functionality of Google classroom with more features. This teacher definitely recommends it!

It is easy to collaborate as a grade level team and share resources through Schoology. I am also able to communicate with parents and students, upload content, grade student submissions and create personalized learning experiences for my students through the platform of Schoology.

Schoology review by Chang B.
Chang B.

"The best learning system"

What do you like best?

Most what I like that a great way of the education session. Gives me a chance to make my teaching and the pupils learning stronger. Easy to use. Making a cooperative way of learning.

What do you dislike?

I like that software. I have nothing bad to say about the platform. We are working on that solution and it's quite nice. Yes, sometimes I have confused about how to find some page which I need.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for students and gives perfect way to check their progress, will be easy to see what will come next. Everything what you will need for teaching. I recommend it.

We trust that platform because of its preventative design. Gives the ability to support our methods and new teaching, and its powerful integration.We like it.

"I Love Schoology "

What do you like best?

As an Educator, there are so many benefits of using Schoology. I personally believe that Schoology appeals to our new generation of students because it resembles social media outlets that they are familiar with. I love the fact that you can personalize courses and groups to meet your needs.You can download apps to add to your course that make your class more personal. I downloaded a backchannel chat app to my courses which allows me to have a discussion with my students in the form of an instant messenger. This really appeals to students and they look forward to working on it every day.

What do you dislike?

I do believe that there are several things that the platform can improve on. A lot of schools are still using Chromebooks and Google and I do not believe that Schoology and Google are 100% compatible. A student has to download items as alternate files before they can upload them to assignments on Schoology. I also wish that the format was a little softer. It resembles Facebook back in 2009 and I think it should have a makeover to meet the minimalist needs of the up and coming generation.

The great part about Schoology is that the entire institution can use it as a learning platform as it meets the needs of all teachers across departments.

Schoology review by Annemarie R.
Annemarie R.

"Useful tool for educators"

What do you like best?

This is a useful tool for educators. I am able to integrate quizzes and the grade book. Students can store their resources for research projects and I can share links with them that they can access at home. After reading an article, students can answer questions on a discussion board. The students state, it feels like Facebook. The discussion boards are great for sharing ideas throughout the district. Presenters can follow-up with attendees of workshops as well. Additionally, my colleagues and I are able to share lesson plans and other resources. This can easily help an office transition to a paperless system. In fact, we no longer print out multiple copies of plans to share with supervisors. Each grade level has a folder in which to drop plans so they can be reviewed.

What do you dislike?

There is a learning curve that some staff members are not willing to overcome.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you utilize Schoology, make sure staff is given plenty of professional development not only in the logging in and setting up but also in the optimization of use even with elementary students. Too often staff is handed a new tool and expected to use it but not given hands on training in a timely manner.

This has been helpful in reducing the amount of paper we need. Collaboration can occur across the district. it minimizes the number of meetings the staff needs to have.

"Good functionality"

What do you like best?

I love that I can organize class information into folders for my students. I also love how it is integrated with videos/Quizlet and other tools that can be accessed directly from Schoology instead of redirecting students to another site. Keeps things simple and organized.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the mobile format my students get. Since all the folders cascade into each other, those with executive functioning issues need me to locate folders for them every time because they can't choose between folders.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think that viewing an already designed course is important for new Schoology users. Many of the older teachers at my school don't use it because they don't know where to start and haven't seen how wonderfully it can work. Just seeing it would help people get motivated.

Schoology has allowed me to let my students work more independently. Those that are capable of using and searching for tools really benefit from being able to access materials and submit them as they finish/on their own time. It's very convenient for teaching organization and time management skills to upper elementary students. I love it and use it regularly.

Schoology review by Stephanie H.
Stephanie H.

"What would I do without Schoology?"

What do you like best?

As a technology instructor, Schoology is my ultimate source of organizing thoughts, resources, links, and files all into one cohesive place. Because of the school-wide calendar, it is an easy place to deliver content to students in the form of "assignments". I like how I can embed or attach Google Drive files directly to assignments with further resources (this means I don't have to change 5 different assignment details if I teach 5 different classes). They also have excellent customer service -- quick and effective.

What do you dislike?

As with any platform that integrates new features, I am not a fan of the new Turnitin LTI or PowerSchool app integration. However, as this is the 2nd year of the Powerschool app gradebook sync and almost the first couple months of the new Turnitin LTI, Schoology continues to listen to our suggestions and complaints on the feature request forums. While it may be difficult to use in some aspects, Schoology's engineers are continuously building the platform that it is more user-friendly based on our feedback.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have a way to link student assignment grades with your SIS. We use PowerSchool as our SIS, and Schoology conveniently has an app that lets teachers sync, but not all SISs have an app with Schoology. Maybe teachers will have to enter grades in through another system that is separate from Schoology.

We are trying to unify teacher notifications and assignments to students. Similar to having a shared agenda and file folder between students and a teachers, Schoology provides the bridge between 24/7 access to resources used in the classroom. One of our struggles with this is not having all teachers on board, but as this is our 4th year using Schoology, more teachers are beginning to take on the challenge of attaching documents to calendar assignments, posting resources in files, organizing folders by units, etc.

"Schoology"

What do you like best?

I love using Schoology! It's a great way for me to share information with my students. I post all assignments on schoology and my students turn in all of their work on Schoology. I have students complete online discussions that get even the quiet students talking. I post all of my notes on schoology so that even students that were absent can keep up with what's going on. I like that I can post "updates" for my classes and students receive an email and a notification. I also like that I can copy things from old sections of a course and not re-create everything for each new section of a class. The students and parents like that they can find all of their class information/worksheets/notes, etc. in one place for all classes.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much that I dislike about schoology. They are always updating and improving.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think there's a free version that you can use to try it out first. It's worth trying and has a great community that you can ask questions.

Organization and distribution of information to Students and parents.

Schoology review by Ai A.
Ai A.

"Schoology"

What do you like best?

Interface is easy to use and understand. User can also customize the file organization to make it more accessible. Integration with Google classroom.

What do you dislike?

I'm using the free version; so some things I guess are not available. But I would like to be able to copy class resources and assignment from term to term, or class to class, instead of having to place them in the shared folder and then add them to the new class/term. I am also not too fond of the limitations of the rubric. I wish it'll allow me to create a score range; for e.g. A=95-100 and the instructor can put in a score. But we are limited to the point system which sometimes is not an accurate reflection of a student's grade.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Better than google classroom. My favorite feature: visual hint of resubmitted work. Really helps.

Education

Schoology review by Kate P.
Kate P.

"Great program with even better benefits "

What do you like best?

I love how this program makes teaching all of my students so simple. I can also reach different levels of learners and differentiate my instruction based on what each individual needs.

What do you dislike?

I’ve only had a few minor errors with the grading. I also wish that there was the ability for students to graph something on an assessment but I get around that by providing pictures.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It saves tons of time in the long run and supports students needs to be working with technology.

I Schoology makes the grading and lesson planning process easier.

Schoology review by Liz L.
Liz L.

"One Stop Shop for All Educational Needs"

What do you like best?

I love the ease of use of Schoology. From staff, teachers, administrators, students, and parents, it is simply easy to use. It can help students and staff stay organized and consistent across the various educational levels of a district.

What do you dislike?

I would like for them to get rid of using Flash.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Absolutely get this phenomenal LMS!

Schoology has allowed us to bring the academic into our students homes, never really missing a beat, even if they are sick. Staff can do professional development at home in easy to create and complete modules.

Schoology review by User

"Excellent one-stop shop for educators"

What do you like best?

I like that it can be used by all teachers, no matter their subject area and that all students have one place to go to access everything. They just log into Schoology and all digital assignments/materials/links/calendar for all of their classes can be accessed from one place.

What do you dislike?

There is a bit of a learning curve when starting with Schoology, but my school placed a big emphasis on training on its use, so we all learned and jismped in together.

Ease of use. All teachers, regardless of subject area, can use the Schoology, so students can find everything they need for all classes in one place.

Schoology review by elaine W.
elaine W.

"Schoology makes learning fun and easy!"

What do you like best?

I absolutely loved Schoology because of it's user friendly format. It was very easy to use with my students who had little to no experience using technology. These students enjoyed that they could access past assignments in case they missed a day of school. Also, it was easy to post information for current lessons or review information to enable students to study for upcoming assessments.

What do you dislike?

I disliked that there wasn't a more streamlines system for uploading my daily agendas and lesson plans. Having it all on one page would make everything more readily accessible for both me as the teacher and my students.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend talking to other teachers to get innovative ideas for how to implement Schoology into your own classroom. Other teachers gave me some unique ideas that I wouldn't have thought of on my own.

I currently am not a business person but and educator, so this question doesn't apply to me.

Schoology review by Rebecca R.
Rebecca R.

"Best Resource for Teachers"

What do you like best?

I have found that Schoology is the best software around for teachers. It is ideal because it engages students heavily; the website almost mirrors Facebook in its design, with status updates, "likes," and an excellent messaging capability. I loved being able to post the homework for the night and have students ask questions that I could easily respond to. It also has a wonderful feature where students can upload drafts or final copies of their assignments, and the teacher can grade and leave comments directly on the page.

What do you dislike?

Schoology has somewhat of a data analysis capability. You can see trends for a class or an assignment but it would be great to have this expanded. I would love, for example, to be able to sort by students with IEPs or other self-created categories.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Spend a day at the beginning of the year having all students go to the computer lab and make an account. It is only effective if students participate.

Teachers are able to engage both students and parents in the learning process. Rather than have a stack of homework papers that get lost, or a line of students who say that their printer wasn't working the night before an essay is due, they can upload the assignment directly on Schoology. I never realized how beneficial this was until I began using this.

User in Primary/Secondary Education

"Excellent platform for my middle school classroom"

What do you like best?

I love that I can create an organized page of folders and materials for my students. I can also link it to Google Drive, which limits the copying and printing of papers.

What do you dislike?

I wish Schoology had he function to allow students to work collaboratively on an assignment. As of now it only works for individuals.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would only get this product if your school is 1 to 1 with computers.

Less paper waste is definitely a huge one. We also have less issues with students forgetting to turn in assignments because they are using the calendar feature.

Schoology review by Caroline L.
Caroline L.

"Decent LMS for school"

What do you like best?

I like that I am able to post updates to students and have it immediately show up on their feed.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that if I forget to uncheck how an assignment can be submitted, i.e. via their online grade book, that it will show up as overdue for them when I don't use their online Grade book. I also don't like that if I delete an assignment on Schoology that it also deletes it from my Powerschool Gradebook (since I have the accounts linked).

The ability to connect with both parents and students is a major benefit.

Schoology review by Tessa B.
Tessa B.

"Schoology"

What do you like best?

I like that they have different resources to use in your classes

What do you dislike?

Sometimes students with missing assignments have a hard time going back and finding the assignment

A good way for students to access there work online and have access to notes/ resources from home

Schoology review by Kayla C.
Kayla C.

"Powerful, yet easy to use!"

What do you like best?

Schoology is highly versatile. It can be used as a simple place to upload your class assignments or can be used to put nearly your entire course online from video lessons to assignment submissions. We use Schoology in our self-paced mastery classroom as it allows students to be working at different places in the curriculum because it is all uploaded in one place. The format is similar to many social media websites, so the students can easily navigate the interface.

What do you dislike?

The grade book feature can have glitches at time which leads to slower grade input. However, the Schoology team is quick to help with any and all issues our school has encountered. As with most LMS, the website is down or slow from time to time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try the free version if you are an individual classroom teacher. We used only the free version for an entire year, and it was able to do everything we needed!

This product allows us to clearly communicate with students and parents through the grades tab. It also allows us to cut down on printing by uploading assignments online. Students are also able to submit their complete assignments through a dropbox feature.

Schoology review by Cam S.
Cam S.

"Schoolwide Schoology Supports Students"

What do you like best?

We use this platform school-wide to communicate to students and parents as well as provide classroom updates, videos, and assessment tools in a very easy-to-use manner. After a year of implementation, the parents have found this very useful and the staff likes the consistency it provides.

What do you dislike?

I don't see another way around it, but I'd like somehow to streamline parent connections with Schoology where it doesn't take a different code found on a class page. I do like the ability for parents to access multiple students, however.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Staff training is essential - then allow staff to work together and off of each other to improve their sites.

We now have a single platform to communicate, post, edit, and assess. That's a great tool as opposed to having to "click" through many teachers' websites. I really value the consistency. The parents value only having to log in once to see multiple student information.

User in Primary/Secondary Education

"Schoology makes collaboration easy"

What do you like best?

I really appreciate the usability of Schoology and the Facebook-like interface that is really easy for people to use. I also like the option to create both courses and groups.

What do you dislike?

It seems like in the effort to be very Facebook-like, Schoology might be missing some features that would be especially useful for collaboration. Further integration with Google Drive will be very useful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Trainings really help with adoption

We are just starting to use Schoology but think it will be very helpful in a large school district like ours.

"Schoology LMS Review"

What do you like best?

We are an online school, so our LMS has to have every capability for both teachers and students to submit and grade assignments online. Schoology's tools definitely enable us to do this.

What do you dislike?

There isn't any particular feature that I don't like. There are a few minor features that I'd like to see added, but Schoology releases new features often, and I've seen them chipping away at a few of these minor things based on requests of their customers.

As stated before, we are an online school, so it is imperative that our students and teachers have an LMS that has full features.

Administrator in Primary/Secondary Education

"Schoology Connection to Teachers for Teachers and Students"

What do you like best?

I love that schoology connects groups of teachers around the states to share ideas and also acts as a student portal for materials and assessment. The students can contact one another for questions or collaborating

What do you dislike?

I don't like that schoology does not allow students to connect with others outside of their class

Recommendations to others considering the product

Useful for classroom webpage, assessment scoring and connection to gradebook

I realized that schoology offers the ability to track standards student by student and gear assessment to a certain standard

User in Primary/Secondary Education

"Schoology Review as a School Staff Member"

What do you like best?

Schoology was very helpful in coordinating plans with other faculty staff members on campus.

What do you dislike?

As this is a new program to me there hasn't been any issues so far. I find it unfortunate they removed the remind feature from the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for small campuses.

It is helping us to easily form groups and discussions and problem solve collectively a lot better.

User in Primary/Secondary Education

"Great for a close-knit learning community!"

What do you like best?

Our small charter school uses the free version of Schoology, and even with the standard version features, Schoology allows us to more effectively share accountability for learning with our students and their families.

What do you dislike?

The challenge of Schoology's grading system doesn't solve the issues we have with the interface, as we are legally required to have more than an LMS for state and federal reporting. The grading mechanism can replace Pearson PowerSchool, but not the legal reporting aspect.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ensure that all members of your learning community are bought-in to the usage of an LMS before launching Schoology. Our families required a large amount of support, and still do, in accessing and utilizing the parent side of Schoology and embracing the "partnership" aspect that the system allows.

In charter schools that are publicly-funded, we rely on anything we can do "differently" to remain competitive in the school-choice market. With Schoology, we are able to offer a communication interface that not only takes the onus off of our teachers in helping students and their families in locating required resources, but it also gives a user-friendly social media network that are students are comfortable using.

Schoology review by Josh O.
Josh O.

"Educational uses in a secondary math classroom."

What do you like best?

While using Schoology I like how easy and straightforward the site is to use. It keeps me and my students organized.

What do you dislike?

Customization is something that is lacking from the Schoology site. I would like to have more control over what my pages look like and what is all included.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for ease of use, Schoology is definitely the way to go.

We are making it easier for our students to get ahold of material when out of the school building. We have benefited in the fact that students are not having to ask us repeatedly for new copies of notes, worksheets, or rubrics.

"Best Education Tool"

What do you like best?

There are so many apps you can connect to the account.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. This software is very useful for all teachers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try! So many different things you can do with it! Possibilities are endless!

This helps to control student work submissions and provides a place to connect.

Schoology review by Katherine D.
Katherine D.

"Teacher's One Stop Shop"

What do you like best?

Schoology not only allows you to connect with your students it also allows you to connect with fellow educators across the world. You can create lesson and quizzes and send them out to students. You also can create a live feed of information for your students. You have an individual course enrollment code for students and can even keep an electronic gradebook through the program.

What do you dislike?

I wish the basic version included more of the Enteprise version tools.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a great way to connect with students, parents, and fellow educators. Similar to Google Classroom but more functions.

It is an awesome one stop shop for educators. Not only can you upload all of your classroom materials, assignments, and quizzes you can also connect with other educators across the world.

Schoology review by Chelsie T.
Chelsie T.

"Administrative Blessing"

What do you like best?

Schoology makes it easy to communicate with students and parents. The way it seamlessly integrates Google Drive allows me to share all course material digitally.

What do you dislike?

As an English teacher, it would be nice to have plagiarism checking options. It would also be nice to somehow prevent students from opening other browser windows while using the test feature.

More efficient communication between home and school.

User in Primary/Secondary Education

"Helps me stay organized."

What do you like best?

Because I can easily keep track of everyone's progress digitally, I have erased the piles of folder systems and paperwork from my desk. I can easily access information before a meeting with just a few clicks.

What do you dislike?

It can sometimes be difficult to train other users. Not everything in the program is intuitive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Train everyone at once. Have one person who can train and troubleshoot at all times.

Time management. I have more time to develop real relationships with my co-workers because I can dictate work related information digitally.

"Schoology For Quizzes"

What do you like best?

I use schoology for my daily vocabulary quizzes, it has save time in photocopying, correcting, and hanging out paper. I love it!

What do you dislike?

I don't like how there are lines on the matching, they make it confusing for the students.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its a great solution to quickly feedback and correcting.

The immediate feedback is great for students.

"Schoology review"

What do you like best?

The ability to post assignments to students and communicate without personal information.

What do you dislike?

Editing/posting to several classes at once and copying assignments. Changes do not always carry over to other copied classes. Sometimes too many windows to click through to get to destination.

A streamlined place to communicate with students.

"Schoology"

What do you like best?

Ease of access and clean user interface.

What do you dislike?

Mobile app isn't the most adroit at managing groups.

Access for students and parents to essential information, materials, and assessments.

Learning about Schoology?

* We monitor all Schoology reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.