Scrivener

Scrivener Reviews

Showing 43 Scrivener reviews
Scrivener review by <span>Alan E.</span>
Alan E.

For writers of all kinds

What do you like best?

This is the best writing app available. I do mostly academic-style writing, and the ability to have my research, my notes, and everything else I need in one place is just tremendous. The ability to zoom into one part of the article/paper and not see or worry about the rest allows full concentration.

The outline and index card modes help to formulate long papers and move thoughts about as the needs exist.

Highly recommended!

What do you dislike?

There is little to dislike about Scrivener. Version 3 (Mac only for now) is such a major overhaul that many of the little annoyances have disappeared.

For now, until the Windows version catches up with the Mac version, there is a slight discomfort since I use both platforms.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Not only great software, but they have a wonderful trial period as well. Nothing at all to lose.

Scrivener is a powerhouse of organization. With it I can, in one place, keep my reference pdf's, my illustrations, all of my research notes - all within easy reach during the writing process.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Scrivener
Scrivener review by <span>Timothy G. H.</span>
Timothy G. H.

Great if it works for you. I've written 2 novels with it

What do you like best?

Beautiful, tons of features. Worth the free trial period too see if you like it. This is kind of a love it or hate it app. Fortunately it has a no obligation trial period so you can see if it's right for you. I mostly like it for its ability to organize smaller parts of your document and handles large documents well.

What do you dislike?

It is not the most intuitive program but if you go through the free tutorial that comes with it, it's not that hard to get going.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Love it or hate it. Fortunately, you can try it for free for a month without submitting payment info. I strongly recommend downloading the free trial and immediately working through the tutorial document.

I used to write novels in MS word. But word doesn't do well when you start getting long files. Also, it is very hard to reorganize chapters in word. All those problems are solved in scrivener, and there is so much more you can do with it too. I've written two novels in it and I'm not going back to any other program!

What Document Creation solution do you use?

Scrivener review by <span>Alexandra M.</span>
Alexandra M.

Scrivener is a one-stop shop software for writers

What do you like best?

This is really comprehensive software that seems infinitely adjustable, and would likely be a great fit for writers across a wide array of industries. It's a powerful tool that does a lot! If there's a feature you want your writing software to have, chances are, this already has it.

What do you dislike?

It's not the most user friendly software ever, there's definitely a learning curve. Also it's not for someone looking for a straightforward, no-frills, minimalist word processor. I have had nightmarish experiences with trying to export and have had to do it manually. Likely something I'm doing wrong and I haven't taken the time to contact support about it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want no-frills, just a screen to write, I think Scrivener can actually do that, but it can also do everything else, so if you're going to get this software you may as well make use of it. Take the time to learn how it works.

Scrivener is all about organization. It lets you organize to your hearts content. Different files, different projects and all of the varied information that goes into each individual project.

Scrivener review by <span>Tim S.</span>
Tim S.

Great writing software for all projects

What do you like best?

Scrivener allows you to place all your documents, images and other reference material into one location so that you no longer have to access muliple locations for notes, webpages or other documents. Writing withine the software is straight-forward and simple to use, as is managing the order that you want your pages to be displayed. Creating a summary for each document (or page) is simple and if you're working to a word count, this is easy to track both by page and by project total.

What do you dislike?

The formatting options for producing an ebook aren't as clear as they could be, and understanding how they work takes a lot of time and patience. The manual does explain how this section works and what should happen but there doesn't appear to be as much support for when things go wrong.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Like many programs, Scrivener has a 30-day trial. However, unlike most pieces of software, the trial time is based on actual use, therefore if you start using it for a couple of days and then don't use it for two weeks, your trial time will only have been two days.

There are a lot of features that make managing documents that easier, allowing a user to keep all relevant information in a single place even after a project has been completed. Making updates to your work is clear cut and easy as is producing them in a variety of formats (printed, pdf, ebook, etc.)

Scrivener is feature rich so there is a bit of a learning curve though the manaul that comes with it is detailed and there are also many support groups and training videos available both on their site and independantly produced. The software is available on both the Mac and PC though the Mac version has a few extra features.

I am a writer and being able to put all my notes, pdfs, images and webpages that I use or reference in a single place makes accessing that information invaluable. That I can look at a webpage, pdf, etc and the document I am writing on in the same screen without having to constantly switch from one to the other allows me to concentrate on the work I am doing and reduces distractions..

I no longer have to remember which folder I saved a key piece of information or where I put a bookmark for a webpage, all of it is readily available at my fingertips within the files that I am working on. In addition to this, being able to take a snapshot of the page/section that I am working on allows me to make changes, compare them to the previously unchanged document to see whether they improve or detract from what I am doing, and being able to reorganise the internal structure of the document without having to cut and paste pages is a life saver.

Scrivener review by <span>Brigitte Y.</span>
Brigitte Y.

Scrivener is a Time Saver

What do you like best?

I love, love, love Scrivener. When it comes to ranking the software, I place it side-by-side with Microsoft in my mind. It is definitely for writing long-format projects like books, white papers, research papers, reports, and it can also be helpful when working on a series of blog post articles that you plan to repurpose.

I recently used it to write my nonfiction book, and I loved how I could instantly compile the book in the proper format for Kindle Direct Publishing. I wrote my first book using Microsoft Word, but with Scrivener you have the option to move things around. It helps you to stay organized. If you like creating outlines, then Scrivener is the tool for you because your detailed outlines become your saving grace. So, if possible, have outlines when you conduct your research, develop characters, plots etc. Again, I used it to write a nonfiction book, and a draft of a screenplay. I have yet to use it for a novel.

What do you dislike?

I wish it was more connected to the cloud, so I can avoid it taking up so much space on my computer. The space issue has been the drawback. It would be interesting if it incorporated some of InDesign's features so you could instantly publish a interactive ebook or magazine. I don’t use the Research section as much because I am concerned about the amount of space it takes up even though I can store it in the iCloud or on a hard drive. Scrivener saves your work, but to be safe you want to press the save button as you work, and backup your work with different versions. Incorporating tables and images can throw off the formatting, so I would love to see them work on that more.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend writers to write directly in Scrivener. Avoid pasting and copying the content over. Or, write your rough draft in another program first and then dump it into Scrivener and spend more time working on the document in Scrivener. Really, it’s a hassle to copy the information over and it saves time just writing directly in the platform.

I also recommend before writing the book or any other document that you establish the format in Scrivener first, and make sure you have a solid outline so you can create the Sections and Chapters. Create a practice document so you can see how the formatting will flow and play with that document so you can learn what functions work best for you. Test Scrivener out more before you self publish your book learn which fonts work best for the theme you would like and the imagery that you are comfortable incorporating. Scrivener’s design overall can be a time-saver once you learn the platform.

When I learned to use Scrivener, it was more of a trial-by-fire scenario. I was working on a tight deadline after I finished the draft of my nonfiction book, and I needed to get the document into Scrivener for publishing. I had to figure out how to break out my Sections and Chapters. So, my editor ended up getting my first attempt at compiling the book together, which wasn’t the best version of the layout. So, I was learning as I went, and as hectic as it was, I enjoyed the whole process. After, several edits and read thrus later, I published the book and went back to Scrivener to turn my book’s formatting into a template, so I would have more ease self-publishing the next time around.

Scrivener review by User in Marketing and Advertising

Makes writing fun, and actually encourages organization.

What do you like best?

I gave Scrivener a trial run during NanoWrimo, and was sold instantly. I'm by nature a disorganized and scattered-brained person. Writing in Scrivener made organizing my writing and ideas easier by orders of magnitude.

Scrivener allows you a lot of flexibility and depth in how you organize your ideas, notes, research, revisions, pages, etc.

The "corkboard" view is an excellent way to get an overall picture of your writing project and essentially summarizes individual documents into easily managed and organizable index-cards.

What do you dislike?

The depth and sheer amount of features is daunting at first blush. The best tutorials and tips are to be found outside of the program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The free-trial is full featured and gives an excellent grasp of what can be done. If you really want to spend a lot of time in the program before committing, Scrivener releases a special "NanoWrimo" trial version every November that allows full use for the entire month of November.

Winners of NanoWrimo have recieved significant discounts in past years.

The ability organize all research and notes into one program speeds up productivity and reduces "management fatigue".

Backing up to the Cloud is possible through simple work-arounds, but a built-in ability would be preferable.

Learning about Scrivener?

* We monitor all Scrivener reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.