Semaphore

Semaphore is a hosted continuous integration and deployment service for open source and private projects.

Work for Semaphore?

Learning about Semaphore?

Semaphore Reviews

Ask Semaphore a Question
Showing 33 Semaphore reviews
Semaphore review by <span>Barry H.</span>
Barry H.

"The fastest testing service"

What do you like best?

Semaphore is the fastest service of its kind. This is the main advantage of this service. I can notice an excellent documentation that helped me sort out and solve any problems. I also like the ability to run tests in parallel. And the most important thing is customer support - the fastest response that I ever received. I also liked the ease of setting.

What do you dislike?

The main disadvantage is its price, but for this speed is not a big claim. Just a little, not a user-friendly interface. Now it is convenient to work with it, but for the first time, it completely confused me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is really the fastest service. You will save quite a bit of time. Try and see for yourself.

We have a large team and several large projects. Parallel execution is just a godsend for us. Since testing takes quite a bit of time, we can run several assemblies and save a lot of time.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Semaphore
Semaphore review by <span>Bryan T.</span>
Bryan T.

"overall best ci esperience"

What do you like best?

Awesome user experience. Everything about using Semaphore is great. Adding projects, servers, managing teams, etc. It's too often that the user experience is overlooked when dealing with tools that are so heavily trafficked by developers. It's also fast, and always kept up to date, and easy to integrate with other services. I also like their blog articles.

What do you dislike?

I can't really think of anything to dislike about the product. The price is competitive with similar offerings, though after comparing with others head to head, we chose Semaphore and have not been sorry. I did reach out to their HR department once and did not get a reply. Oh well! :)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try first, and compare it to other products. See if it works for you. Ask them for help if you need it.

We needed to move away from managing our own Jenkins, so we looked at managed CI/CD solutions. Semaphore fit the bill in every way and was easy to set up. I just love it. Using it, and more properly said, making full use of the platform, we reduced build time from ~ 16 minutes to about 4.

What Continuous Integration solution do you use?

Semaphore review by <span>Leanna W.</span>
Leanna W.

"Powerful CI"

What do you like best?

I have been using different CI for a long time. The configuration of your PC is very important for these services, but the old CI did not use all the power of our server. We had only one problem while using Semaphore and the support worked at the highest level, our problem was solved very quickly. By the way, support is fast as in the paid plan and in the free.

What do you dislike?

The base platform of some services is very outdated. I have a problem when installing MySQL, because of obsolete plugins. Until now, there are some important functions that competitors have long had.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The program has an excellent free plan. Support, even for a free plan, works amazingly. The simplicity of service and excellent support make your choice.

Our team moved to Semaphore with CircleCI. We were immediately surprised by the speed of work. Tests are performed almost twice as fast. Now we save a lot of time and concentrate on more important functions.

Semaphore review by <span>Jack H.</span>
Jack H.

"The premium CI experience"

What do you like best?

It's just a good ole product. Fast as lightnin', easy to organise projects and teams, a great user experience... the list jus' goes on and on. I'd be writin' all day if I had the time - but sadly I don't. As an added bonus, the product is made in Serbia - that's a country in South Eastern Europe that I'm very fond of.

What do you dislike?

I mean I'm speaking from the management perspective, so I'd say the pricing is a little strong, esp' when you start getting into the higher tiers. But - they're all more or less the same, these CI tools, so basically they're not going down the 'cheap 'n' cheerful' route which is something I respect fully.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Jus' go for it.

It speeds up dev no end - meaning more cash for craft beers and team building trips away! Wahey!

Semaphore review by <span>Varun V.</span>
Varun V.

"SemaphoreCI - The speed we need."

What do you like best?

I have been using different CIs since many months, i have already gone a long path with travis and circle, then i saw SemaphoreCI and i was like, let's try this too, and too my astonishment, semaphore was ez pz to set and a lot faster than the other CIs and the way it shows job log is just perfection.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes when the job log gets a bit longer, semaphore fails to show the log of 1 or more of the commands, rest everything is up to the mark, considering the free resources they provide.

I don't have any business, i use semaphore largely to get my android apps and kernels built, they just get built lightning fast, my kernels used to take around 15-20 minutes on travisCi but on semaphore it takes atmost 10 minutes to get compiled and uploaded.

Semaphore review by <span>marty j.</span>
marty j.

"Good for personal/small scale projects because of price and ease of setup, but low reliability."

What do you like best?

The price is far cheaper than travis and makes the product perfect for prototyping an app that requires a lot of iteration. Additionally I found several useful guides for integrating the service with AWS / Firebase, which made the setup process fairly quick.

What do you dislike?

I have seen multiple consecutive days of downtime. While these were apparently the result of an upstream provider, it made little difference to me as the end user, because I simply could not deploy my app. Stability and reliability in a CI service it probably even more important than ease of use and for Semaphore's price I would happily put up with some degradation in UX, in favor of reliability. I make the same tradeoff for other services and find it worthwhile on my shoestring budget.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look at the uptime stats and community support consider whether it is worth the tradeoff to you for the price.

I'm prototyping an app and need testing and deployment on every check-in, for which Semaphore is well suited. Additionally I only have a handful of repositories that require check-in, so Semapohre is allowing me to operate on a very low budget while still having all the benefits of quick deployment. Through the published guides I've also discovered AWS tools such as CloudFormation that I did not know about and are well suited to my purposes. When funding it less of an issue however, I'll be likely to move to Travis because of its relatively higher stability.

Learning about Semaphore?

* We monitor all Semaphore reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.