Sequel Pro

SQL database management for Mac OS X.

Work for Sequel Pro?

Learning about Sequel Pro?

Sequel Pro Reviews

Showing 36 Sequel Pro reviews
Sequel Pro review by <span>Charles A.</span>
Charles A.

My First Data Base Software

What do you like best?

The thing I like the best about Sequel Pro is the advance filter option it has. This option allows someone like me to easily do a somewhat complex query with little to no knowledge of writing scripts. This feature alone has saved me hours of work.

What do you dislike?

The biggest issue I had was initially getting the software setup but this is mainly in part to my lack of knowledge. A step by step guide / walk through would have been nice. Overall though I have no real dislike of the software. It does everything I need it to do.

The biggest benefit for me, working in general tech support, has been the ability to quickly look up specific user data, make adjustments as needed, and resolve the issue quickly. This software has also helped me with problem solving ;larger issues by being able to see the data and do comparisons.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Sequel Pro
Sequel Pro review by <span>Ravi A.</span>
Ravi A.

Easy of use

What do you like best?

Smooth UI and good speed. You can search for multiple tables using the pipe filter. You can directly update the data in the table without writing the query. You can search for the data, again without writing the query. This can be done using the search tool given in the header.

What do you dislike?

Comparing it with other query tools, it does not save the query automatically for you. You have to save your queries manually and then you can open them again when you use it the next time. It is because of this reason that people tend to use MySQL workbench after using sequel pro.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your job requires searching through the database, go for it. If you need to write queries a lot, then you need to save them before quitting this tool as they won't be saved.

We access our database using this tool. We access local, dev, production database. Production and Test database are accessed using SSH. We connect to bastion servers using our ssh keys directly through this tool. Hence, we do not have to create a tunnel to connect to bastion servers for this.

What Non-Native Database Management Systems solution do you use?

Sequel Pro review by <span>Rafael L.</span>
Rafael L.

MySQL from your desktop

What do you like best?

I like it because allows me to have all the MySQL connections on my computer. I can view tables structure, do queries, check content, export data, etc... Gives me a lot of connection possibilities and it is a multitab application.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that while I'm trying to export I cannot change the path with my keyboard. I only can do it with a modal view.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think you must give a chance to SequelPro because it's free and have a lot of functionalities. It is a MySQL manager made for professionals.

SequelPro gives me the possibility of admin my MySQL databases in one place. I don't need to look for the web manager URL or the console access anymore.

Sequel Pro review by <span>Christopher H.</span>
Christopher H.

The goto solution for Mac database management

What do you like best?

Sequel Pro makes managing your databases a breeze. It's functional user interface reflects what a database should be all about... data. Editing content, adding content, creating relationships, editing tables and even editing user permissions are all handled in an easy to understand UI that any developer can understand with just a small amount of time interacting with the application.

What do you dislike?

Ever once in a while you'll get small UI bugs. These don't normally effect the use of the application and are cured by an application reload but they are definitely there. It's an extremely robust application for being free though so those minor bugs are trumped by it's extreme usefulness. Some errors while creating relationships between tables could be a little more descriptive too.

Easy database management is a key to any business' success. Far too many developers do not know now to actually run effective SQL queries and Sequel Pro solves this. This makes database management as easy as using an Excel spreadsheet.

Sequel Pro review by <span>Steve M.</span>
Steve M.

Solid MySQL client with excellent schema browsing and querying capabilities

What do you like best?

The UI is definitely the most pleasant and well-organized of any MySQL client I've used. Every schema object is easily accessible and important supplemental information, such as table size and index cardinality is displayed alongside the usual structural details. Sequel Pro is also smart enough to refresh the schema when you change it, either through the UI or with DDL.

The data table view allows entering NULL into a field. Some other clients I've tried either don't support NULL or require annoying contortions to set a field to NULL.

Disconnections are handled mostly gracefully and mostly transparently. "Mostly" is far and away the best handling I've ever encountered, and very nice when connected to a DB over an unreliable VPN link. Sequel Pro can also set up connections over an SSH tunnel, for shops with that setup, and this has worked quite well for me in the past.

What do you dislike?

The table and column completion in the SQL editor is clunky and introduces mistakes more often than it helped me. I ended up disabling it. The SQL editor also has difficulty with complicated DDL syntax, such as stored procedures.

The data table supports only one filter condition. Supporting complex WHERE clauses with a simple UI just isn't possible, so I understand the limitation, but I like the data table and would be fine with a little more UI complexity in exchange for more power.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The price is right and there's nothing better for poking around a database to look at what's there. Use something else to run DDL scripts, though.

The schema browser showed me tables and indexes taking up much more space than I expected, which prompted some schema changes preventing a costly expansion of storage.

Sequel Pro review by <span>Diogo R.</span>
Diogo R.

Best SQL application around

What do you like best?

It is by far the most simple and intuitive application. You can manage server credentials and group them as you want (like development, staging and production). You can use colors like you do on Finder folders. You can create tables, list and search for rows and also use the console. You can save your favourite queries to call them later on.

Another very good feature is the import which allows you to convert a spreadsheet or a CSV into a table. It's not just assigning spreadsheet columns to table columns, you can ignore some, create default values and even make your own expressions out of the cell data.

Another great feature is.. it's completely free! No trials, no ads, no call home.

What do you dislike?

There's nothing much to dislike, apart from being only for MySQL (and MariaDB, an a-likes..). Also, it hasn't been updated for more than a year, but it's stable and you can do anything in the database server.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't look back. It's free, it's open source and it's fast. Give it a go before paying for other alternatives.

Database development and management.

Learning about Sequel Pro?

* We monitor all Sequel Pro reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.