SharePlex

SharePlex is a database replication solution.

Work for SharePlex?

Learning about SharePlex?

SharePlex Reviews

Ask SharePlex a Question
Showing 11 SharePlex reviews
SharePlex review by Kane M.
Kane M.

"Experience Migrating to Shareplex from Streams"

What do you like best?

In my experience, Shareplex is fast, flexible, easy to install and configure, and easy to maintain. From my perspective, the conversion from Streams to Shareplex was amazingly simple and went very well. My feeling is that the overall experience has been very positive.

Streams Migration - I've worked with Streams for over 7 years and spent probably more time than I should have evaluating four different replacement products. With Shareplex, I found migration from Streams to be very simple. It was just plain easy.

Speed - In my own testing, Shareplex was significantly faster than three competing products that were evaluated utilizing real workloads.

Ease of Use - In my experience, installation couldn't be much simpler. Also, configuring tables for replication is also very easy for the roughly 2,000 tables configured in our environment.

Monitoring - We monitor Shareplex for errors using features built into the product. We monitor latency utilizing a custom heartbeat table to model the approach we had utilized with Streams. Both were very easy to configure based on my own experience.

RAC/Cluster - Our environment consists of several Exadata clusters. Shareplex seemed to integrate well with Oracle Clusterware and seems to support the built-in HA failover capability through the usage of application VIP's well.

Flexibility - Based on my own experience using and/or evaluating other products, Shareplex is among the easiest to configure when it comes to basic functionality such as: replicating to a different target table or schema name, excluding certain DML such as inserts, deletes, updates, etc.

Cruise Control - Based on my usage of the product, far less time will be required to keep it running smoothly compared to Streams. The way the product is configured out of the box to automatically retry operations that fail (maybe due to deadlock, etc.) and the type of operations that are excluded by default (but can be easily enabled), will require minimal human intervention. This is a big plus based on my own experience.

Conclusion - My opinion, as the primary DBA who evaluated various products, architected the Shareplex migration, and deployed the same, is that we made the right choice. I'm am personally very satisfied with our decision to choose Shareplex as our Streams replacement.

What do you dislike?

My feeling is the enterprise monitoring dashboard (GUI) could be improved to match the experience with the product in general. I'd like to see this portion of the overall Shareplex offering be simpler to install, more lightweight, and easier to configure.

If I had to nit-pick, my personal opinion is that a few key areas could be explained more clearly/thoroughly in the documentation. This deals mostly with instantiation of new tables for replication.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Based on my personal experience with Shareplex, I would encourage others to evaluate the product for themselves to see if it is a good fit. Shareplex seems to have worked very well for our needs. We have had a very positive experience with our transition to Shareplex.

I will say that I consider our DBA team to be very technical. However, we somewhat reluctantly chose to engage Shareplex professional services. (Reluctantly because we felt we could deploy it ourselves) In the end, I'm glad we chose to engage professional services as I feel the transition was much smoother as a result. We could have done it - sure - but my feeling is we avoided some common issues and generally had a much more problem-free transition as a result of having the Shareplex team by our side through the process.

As a result of Oracle Streams deprecation a solution was needed to replace our existing Oracle to Oracle replication infrastructure. We replicate nearly 2,000 database tables from six distinct source databases to a single target database utilized for reporting and analysis. High availability in the replication space was an important consideration for our Streams replacement. We utilize both RAC and DataGuard for high availability and needed a replication solution that would work well in such an environment.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about SharePlex
SharePlex review by GARVH J.
GARVH J.

"SharePlex the ideal migration cum replication tool for Oracle"

What do you like best?

The SharePlex tool has been used for Oracle-Oracle Replication in our environment & we faced a lot of issues while stabilizing the system in Production but the support we received by the Technical team specially Berta Rae was immense & helped improved the performance to a great extent as required.

What do you dislike?

The limitations experienced till now seems to revolve around setting up Bi-directional replication to achieve high availability for one of critical applications where the name of the primary database is stored in the memory & configuration of the fail-over script which would actually transfer the connections to the standby is the actual challenge faced from the application end as required.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Effective implementation of Bidirectional replication to achieve fail-over to secondary in minimum time.

SharePlex has allowed us to achieve live replication & setting up a reporting standalone node with required horsepower giving freedom to reduce a node from the source OLTP Real Application cluster cluster as required.Also we have configured JMS (Java Messaging Services) which allows the data to be processed in XML format as a source to UM(Universal Messaging).Also we have done on-premise migration to AWS (Relational Database Service like Oracle & PostgreSQL) using SharePlex tool & transferring the data through the network using database-link as required.Also we have configured the SharePlex grid using Fog-light utility as required.Worked with Berta Rae (Enterprise Support Tech Adviser) in various critical issues in Production Environment & gained immense knowledge in the process as required.Have gained enough expertise in performance tuning of various parameters for slow post queues issues as required.

What On-Premise Data Integration solution do you use?

SharePlex review by Russell B.
Russell B.

"Implemented SharePlex on Oracle 12c RAC including CDC"

What do you like best?

The software is easy to installed and configure. The documentation is well written. The Quest support is very helpful if you run into any problems. The software can be configured to meet a variety of needs.

What do you dislike?

In a testing environment if you are not running in archive log mode there is a possibility that your database logs can wrap causing SharePlex to shutdown. I can be a little complicated to get the system back up and running. This should not be an issue in a production environment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you can get some training before you start if makes if much easier.

We are replicating an entire schema but not the entire database from one database to another. In addition, we are also doing CDC (change data capture) on selected tables to feed an ETL job for daily batch processing.

SharePlex review by Jason M.
Jason M.

"Shareplex is really good!!"

What do you like best?

We used shareplex to provide a reporting database by reducing the load of our OLTP instances.

Technical support is excellent, the support team has an immediate response when question time comes around.

What do you dislike?

When we first started using it the change data process was actually stressing, sometimes the monitoring system sends out error notifications and it ends up spamming the admins with emails alert for no problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

replication to other database vendors is actually improving with each realease, but doesn't have the compare or repair utility that exist in oracle .

We used it basically to provide a reporting database of our customers and clients

SharePlex review by Administrator in Human Resources
Administrator in Human Resources

"Shareplex for Oracle is solid"

What do you like best?

Easily configured.

Allows non-disruptive adding/removing of tables to the replication stream.

Includes monitoring/alerting services.

Includes data verification and repair utilities.

Low server overhead.

The most complete solution is in Oracle to Oracle instances. But they are developing and improving capabilities for transferring data to other DB platforms.

It is robust. It recovers well when there are network or other system or service outages.

Their technical support teams are terrific.

It is half the price of other popular solutions and it works!

What do you dislike?

It has been very Oracle oriented. We could really use the same functionality with other DB platforms. They are working on it but it just isn't there yet.

sharing DB tables between DB instances at near real-time speeds,

SharePlex review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Shareplex Easy to manage!!"

What do you like best?

The best SharePlex features we like are:

* Upgraded to Oracle 12c with zero downtime.

* Data compare and repair feature helps me fix data discrepancies without having to reinstall everything from the scratch.

* Option to create independent multiple Post queues for large transactional tables.

* Dedicated & efficient Quest support team & pre-sales team what help me address my issues quickly.

Very good return on investment and marginal cost of ownerships is a key driver to stay invested on Shareplex.

What do you dislike?

We don't like SharePlex limited functionality for non-oracle target databases (which is I hear is supported in the latest release). Features like missing compare & repair, DDL replication for non-Oracle databases.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Good Customer support.

stable product with no downtime.

We are using SharePlex to replicate selective table data to multiple target databases with disparate geographical locations and heterogeneous database versions and platforms.

Benefits:

* Using one SharePlex instance we can replicate data simultaneously to multiple locations.

* Ease of maintenance & administration

* Required minimal investments as SharePlex works on existing infrastructure & servers.

SharePlex review by Abhijit G.
Abhijit G.

"Great software for implementing DR and HA with excellent customer support. "

What do you like best?

Stability.

Easy to Configure & Implement.

Covers most of the maintenance scenarios.

Terrific Customer Support.

What do you dislike?

Management and monitoring tools , if we need to go in hindsight if there was a replication delay thats not possible, multiple attempts to make Shareplex Manager work were not successful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Got for it its worth it!

Provide HA across DC with some features which can be supported only with shareplex with almost real time replication.

SharePlex review by User in Outsourcing/Offshoring
User in Outsourcing/Offshoring

"WFM Analyst "

What do you like best?

The software is very user-friendly and it is easy to use. I really like how we can share information with other users via this software.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that this software has a downtime and sometimes when the server goes down for maintenance it can take a while to be back which can interrupt manager training and other work.

We are solving many problems with shareplex including Training off managers and employees. This software makes things really easy to share and this feature makes it very convenient and user-friendly to train employees.

SharePlex review by Administrator

"review two support cases SR Number: 4076763 and 4072940 worked with shareplex oracle support person"

What do you like best?

Both support engineers (Berta Rae and Sarath kalari) are very knowledgeable. they can understand my issues right away and provide solution in an efficient way

What do you dislike?

shareplex oracle support is very good, never had bad experience with it. their support is always in time

Recommendations to others considering the product

definetely

system is a pre-prod environment. and has to deliver test result to production in a timely manner. all tests are halted because of shareplex issues. Since the issues are resolved efficiently, so no delay is caused in production.

SharePlex review by Administrator in Apparel & Fashion
Administrator in Apparel & Fashion

"shareplex for Active Active Database"

What do you like best?

Allows us to keep 100% up time for E-Commerce site landsend.com during Database and Server upgrades and migrations.

What do you dislike?

Needs applications Changes. The Documentation is often not so good and we land up calling the Support.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Need a Skilled DBA to implement.

The 100% uptime during the database upgrades, database migration from one OS to another. Possible to maintain 100% uptime during Data Center Disasters.

SharePlex review by User

"Database replication"

What do you like best?

Oracle and SQL server.

Realtime, scalable, high availability database replication.

What do you dislike?

I haven't utilized this software to it's full capacity to see what I dislike.

Monitoring, data comparisons, conflict resolution, and synchronization

Learn more about SharePlex

SharePlex Videos

Learning about SharePlex?

* We monitor all SharePlex reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.