ShareX

ShareX is a free and open source program that lets you capture or record any area of your screen and share it with a single press of a key. It also allows uploading images, text or other types of files to over 50 supported destinations you can choose from.

Work for ShareX?

Learning about ShareX?

ShareX Reviews

Showing 28 ShareX reviews
ShareX review by <span>Leo H.</span>
Leo H.

Leading desktop screenshot utility for windows

What do you like best?

The best thing about ShareX is the open ended versatility the program offers over the competition. In addition to taking screenshots of any windows, and any size, that functionality is enhanced by being able to screen record in that same manner. On top of that, you have the option to export your media in multiple video formats, including export as GIF. ShareX also comes with a built in color picker, OCR, auto-upload to a source of your choice, and other tools to better convenience your line of work, or your computer experience.

What do you dislike?

The only bad thing i can really say about shareX is the window utility you use to configure some of the options aforementioned. The interface itself can use a little work, as it can be unclear as to what "task" you're changing, or where specific settings are located.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Once you install ShareX, I would highly recommend you adjust the "worflows" (keybindings) of the tasks you want on hand. If you're using a gaming mouse, it would make your like a lot easier to map those bindings to mouse keys of your choice.

ShareX has made it possible for the business that I work for to quickly submit bug reports, with screen shots and recordings to better allow for reproduction of the problem. It has also allowed simple "show and tell" with friends and co-workers regarding debugging, IT help, and just sharing whats on our screens.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about ShareX
ShareX review by User

The absolute best screen recording and clip creator there is

What do you like best?

ShareX allows for extremely fast screenshots, and recordings. Instant image modifications (add dropshadow, watermark, company logo). Automatic uploads to TONS of cloud based hosting sites, and little footprint on the system.

What do you dislike?

Really there isn't much to dislike about this software, the only thing that could be considered a negative is that it may be a bit daunting to set up the first time because of the hundreds of options.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take your time and explore all of the features. Their forums are a great resource for people needing help

Sharing insight with customers quickly and easily. Our support team is able to make on the fly antimated gifts for live tickets, and quickly generate screenshots and walkthroughs for our support documentation. Working in a remove environment a tool like this is invaluable if you don't want to spin up a screenshare app and have everyone log in just to point out something you are seeing on your screen.

What Screen and Video Capture solution do you use?

ShareX review by <span>John D.</span>
John D.

The best screenshot tool for Windows

What do you like best?

ShareX's custom region capture feature is a massive plus. Rather than restricting me screenshotting a single window or desktop, ShareX lets me screenshot a specific region. The tool also has a magnification and crosshair that allows me to get a pixel-perfect crop. This allows me to create professional quality screenshots for use in documentation.

The large number of image uploaders are another great features. It supports almost every major image host, and even supports generic targets like FTP or an Amazon Web Services S3 bucket.

What do you dislike?

The UI is sometimes not the most intuitive, setting up destinations is not always a clear process. Sometimes, the configuration is lost between versions of the tool, causing me to need to re-enter authorization credentials.

Additionally, updates require my approval and input, and are sometimes annoying.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're using Windows, ShareX is by far the best free tool available today.

I'm able to take screenshots of applications for use with sharing with colleges, or for creating product documentation. ShareX's inclusion of the Greenshot image editor tool allows me to easily markup my screenshots before uploading them, saving me from having to use an additional tool.

ShareX review by <span>Vladimir J.</span>
Vladimir J.

Excellent screen capture program!

What do you like best?

This program turned out to be best free solution for screen capture. I enjoy the fact that I can customize it to suit my needs best - what part of the screen I want captured, what happens after capture, on which of my accounts image is uploaded etc.

What do you dislike?

What's not to like? Great program. It needs support for other operating systems.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is clearly THE BEST screen capture program for Windows out there. It is quite refreshing that it is free. After using it, it has become a standard tool in my work process and each of my friends are now using it. It is good for professional as well as personal use.

I work as web designer and frontend developer. It helps me to instantly capture specific regions of my designs and then send it over email or some IM program to my clients. It speeds up development and collaboration..

It also helped me to capture some UI animations I create for web sites, convert that capture to gif and also send it over email.

I also like to play games, so capturing game results screen earns me some bragging rights ;)

ShareX review by <span>Alexandre V.</span>
Alexandre V.

The best screeshot I've ever tried

What do you like best?

I'd like the simplicity of the program and all the quick features it has. For example, the contextual menu when you have a screenshot lets you copy the image, copy the file, copy the file path and so on. These silly tricks makes your life easier every day.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the UI. It's not very modern but it is usable. It's like a 2000's program and it has a lot of menus with options and makes you lost at first. It also should improve the editing capabilities but I think there are needed minor improvements.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try. At glance, you are going to see an old UI with a lot of buttons and options, and you are going to get scared that the app is so bad. But when you start to using it you are going to love it, to use the features that you like and need and forget about the ones you don't need. There is so many features that makes almost imposible that doesn't meet your requirements.

My main problems are the following:

- Quick capture and easy editing to highligth some aspects.

- Quick share the screenshot with my other computers or sessions.

ShareX review by <span>Michael G.</span>
Michael G.

The fastest screen capture on the net

What do you like best?

Very lightweight, free, open source, and constant support.

What do you dislike?

The interface is a bit intimidating for users who are not proficient in discovering the usage of software without documentation

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're debating between ShareX and another screencapture software, you should definitely compare and contrast the two.

While most screencapture programs will claim thing such as 'constant updates', 'used by many business such as.. ', or even 'the most downloaded screencap software on the web', none of them can offer the quality support, speed, and reliability of ShareX.

As a freelance developer who often shares screenshots of my work, I've noticed a tremendous workflow increase by using ShareX. I had used a few other popular software prior, though they were lacking features, slow, or crashed often, and none of them were open-source.

ShareX is the 'go-to' when I need to share an image or screenshot of my application, all available within seconds.

The biggest benefit of using ShareX over other products is that by doing so, open-source software is being supported. In this day in age, it's tough to come across open-source software that works at an industry-grade quality, and also has constant updates and support. By far I would choose an open-source alternative of a program over a closed-source version.

Learning about ShareX?

* We monitor all ShareX reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.