Shmoop

Lively online Courses, Test Prep, Teacher Resources, and Study Guides written by experts and educators.

Work for Shmoop?

Learning about Shmoop?

Shmoop Reviews

Ask Shmoop a Question
Showing 13 Shmoop reviews
Shmoop review by Joshua C.
Joshua C.

"Student-friendly and Ph.d. Written"

What do you like best?

Shmoop provides an engaging and student-friendly summary/analysis of some of the most read texts in the high school and middle school curricula.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes Shmoop's resources are almost too robust, so students get lost in trying to find what they need.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would pick your favorite book and spend five minutes browsing the resources. You'll be able to show students how to navigate to different sections based on their needs. If you're teaching Shakespeare, do not shy away from using both the summary and analysis pages in order to improve student comprehension

Absentee rates at schools can be difficult, particularly for students who need supports in class. This allows us to support students outside of the classroom to catch them up to their peers.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Shmoop
Shmoop review by User in Education Management
User in Education Management

"Shmoop makes learning fun"

What do you like best?

Shmoop has a great variety of subjects that the videos teach. I have used them with my students during lessons in class for ages high school to adult, and the students always get a kick out of them. I always embed the videos in my online feedback to students when they submit their assignments online.

What do you dislike?

They speak a little too fast for my international students, but they're perfect for my native English-speaking students. Some of the references and jokes fly over the head of my international students, but I love them!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really fun way to learn, easy to use. Topics are plentiful and the content is very good. They're easy to embed in online learning formats too.

They teach subject matter in creative ways and make learning a lot more fun than if my students just had to listen to me the entire time! It adds variety to my lessons and holds the students' interest.

What Study Tools solution do you use?

Shmoop review by Consultant in Education Management
Consultant in Education Management

"Good resource but not everything is free"

What do you like best?

Shmoop is one of the few websites, that can boast the breadth and depth of the content that they offer. I think History, Social Sciences, and Humanities are their best offering. I recently also started looking at their test prep courses and felt they are good.

What do you dislike?

Shmoop needs to work harder on their offerings in sciences. Would help if they are more interactive than what they currently are. Sometimes it gets boring and repetitive. I hate that many great courses are hidden behind a premium subscription.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend this product and feel that every teacher and student needs to have this product.

As the depth and breadth of the content are phenomenal, Shmoop is a go-to resource for any quick update on a concept. I also prefer to use Shmoop to get a good overview of the scope of the certain subject and its coverage.

Shmoop review by Heather L.
Heather L.

"Free tool, but expect to shell out some cash if you want to access most of the content."

What do you like best?

My favorite part about Shmoop is the humor weaved throughout the website. I think this humor helps keep the student more engaged, particularly through some of the lengthier lessons. Shmoop includes content on a variety of subjects and tests, at a variety of grade levels.

In addition to Shmoops great subject specific and test-prep tutorials, there are some great tools like the Essay Lab and Flashcard Builder that are built-in.

What do you dislike?

While I am appreciative of the free content offered on Shmoop, the free version is loaded with advertisements. The free version is also plastered with "Sign up for our premium package". Unfortunately, some of the things that appear to be accessible via the free version turn out to be premium content, but the user will only learn that after multiple clicks through the beginning of the module or guide.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Shmoop has a lot of great content, but only a small portion of it is available on the free version. I would strongly recommended browsing through the content before subscribing to ensure that what you're looking for isn't already available for free.

Textbooks often offer one or two practice tests per unit and sometimes that isn't enough for the student. Shmoop gives students access to additional tutorials and practice quizzes with feedback. This has been great for our students needed extra practice without putting extra work on the hands of the teacher.

Shmoop review by User in Market Research
User in Market Research

"Invaluable in School, Fun After "

What do you like best?

I love it's fun approach to literature and english! The information is not only insightful, but it is also entertaining to read. They make a lot of connections and references to other work which I find useful. The organization is great, and it's really easy to find exactly what I am looking for. Overall, it is a very down to earth feel, yet it is still really helpful in pointing out details and connections I may have missed on my own.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I really dislike about this site. The info and organization is top-notch. If anything, I guess the look of the site is a little cheesy and could be cleaned up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is great for business use to keep you in the know. I would also recommend it for personal use. It is fun to browse classics or your favorite subject to see their interesting presentation and insights.

This is my go-to place to get the scoop if I'm not understanding a reference that I read or saw in a presentation or paper. It's a quick place to get the gist of something. Also, if I am having trouble remembering something that I want to reference myself, I go here to refresh my memory.

Shmoop review by Toni M.
Toni M.

"Great Test Prep Tool: Expect to dish out some serious cash to access most of the features"

What do you like best?

Schmoop offers test prep resources for hundreds of tests from the SATs to any AP class imaginable. They provide a nice calendar to help students keep track of upcoming exams. Schmoop also offers an essay lab. This lab allows students to become familiar with the foundations of writing anything from expository essays to mathematical proofs.

What do you dislike?

It is frustrating that many of the features are paid. While Schmoop has a lot of offer teachers and students by way of test preparation, its plans are quite pricey.

This resource has been used as a way to help prepare my students for AP and college entrance exams.

Shmoop review by Karis N.
Karis N.

"Wonderful source for students!"

What do you like best?

Shmoop had a great variety of literature guides for my students to use. I was able to pull up the guides to help with class discussion, and it helped me do further research on books in order to start discussions in class.

What do you dislike?

I don't recall disliking anything about Shmoop, to be honest.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely try it!

I have had no problems with Shmoop, but the greatest benefit came from opening class discussions as a result of using it.

Shmoop review by Jennifer L R.
Jennifer L R.

"Wow"

What do you like best?

I like the variety of options that Shmoop offers to teachers and students alike. Shmoop will help me with studying for my Praxis! I like the variety of subject options for students to help them understand a particular concept in a different way. I like the video at the start of the website to introduce people to its website.

What do you dislike?

I didn't discover or know about Shmoop prior to now. I think Shmoop needs to be promoted more as an help tool for teachers and their students. I wish Shmoop would send a survey out to its users to ask for their thoughts because sometime when I receive emails from them, the emails are just about random things and not really pertaining to me and then I delete the email.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think Shmoop is a great company to utilize for students and yourself needing some extra help with differentiation with a specific lesson or concept. It is not just pertained to one subject area either; there are a variety or subjects such as English, language arts, math, social studies,etc. Also ACT, SAT or other test Prep.

There are no business problems to solve per say; just professional. I have realized how Shmoop can benefit me as a professional teacher but also my students and their learning.

Shmoop review by User

"Shmoop Review"

What do you like best?

Shmoop is excellent for summarizing literature for students. It is easily accessible for students and very user-friendly.

What do you dislike?

The interface needs more interaction to keep student's interests.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Shmoop is a great resource to use to add to a student's toolbox for evaluating literature.

Problems solved are to allow students a tool to use when reading literature.

Shmoop review by Ashley K.
Ashley K.

"Shmoop is a great teaching tool"

What do you like best?

I like that in addition to it being a homework website, there is also help for assignments and test prep

What do you dislike?

For how much information is available, I think the page could be more professional and clean looking, there's a surplus of links

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend based on all the resources available on the page

Great for additional tools all on one page for helping with studying, don't have to use search engine to find help and potentially end up with inaccurate information

Shmoop review by Lisa D.
Lisa D.

"Good review tool"

What do you like best?

Written in such a way that’s friendly to teens

What do you dislike?

Seems a bit superficial. Would like to see more analysis help.

Provides students with an additional means of studying for the ap exam. Could help increase their scores.

Shmoop review by User in Higher Education

"shmoop solves the background knowledge barrier"

What do you like best?

Shmoop gives students the basics. They need background info on many topics, and Shmoop can provide it with videos.

What do you dislike?

Nothing to dislike here! If anything, I'd say I'd want more videos.

Shmoop provides quick background knowledge where it may be lacking.

Shmoop review by User in Education Management
User in Education Management

"Helping students prepare with Shmoop"

What do you like best?

This is a great resource for finding supplementary material for my class.

What do you dislike?

There is a massive amount of resources available, it can be hard to sift through.

I am using this to assist students with supplemental preparation materials. This will help students better prep for both my class and other courses.

Learning about Shmoop?

* We monitor all Shmoop reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.