Site5

Site5 provides shared, reseller & VPS hosting with a range of service plans and server locations.

Work for Site5?
Lunarpages review  2x

Learning about Site5?

Site5 Reviews

Showing 13 Site5 reviews
Site5 review by <span>V. Matthew K.</span>
V. Matthew K.

On-par web hosting company with confusing backend

What do you like best?

What I liked best about this is that if you're putting up a WordPress site, they give you what you need and stand out of your way. Putting up a basic website and a fully developed Wordpress site with e-commerce features can be done with this service.

What do you dislike?

The service and customer support can at times be... less than filling. There also have billing issues, where you are paying with a PayPal account, but the address you're paying to seem to not match the site's brand at all, which is my biggest issue with them. My other issue is that if you have a high traffic WordPress site, they have some rather expensive features and they don't fully explain the differences.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for basic website up for your clients, this can be helpful. The service offerings are reasonable. However, if you are looking for deeper integrations, you might try your luck elsewhere.

I put up few basic websites under their reseller packages. I also created a website with e-commerce functions. Managed to pull it off without issues.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Site5
Site5 review by <span>JoAnna C.</span>
JoAnna C.

Reseller hosting that's full featured, and fairly priced

What do you like best?

Many features for resellers at a good price. Includes WHM and domain reseller account for free. Closest thing to VPS without the vps lol. Very good amount of control. They offer almost the latest PHP and sql versions. Upgrades are regular. Fairly stable servers. Decent tech support. server backups!

What do you dislike?

Not the most secure of hosts. Attempted hacks this years: 2. They do resolve it pretty quickly though. unstated limits hidden within "unlimited" data clause. run out of bandwidth pretty quickly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend their super duper reseller package. Don't cheap out. Also, go for the enom account they offer. You'll be happy you did.

Hosting and webdesign services for clients. Competitive to godaddy pricing. I can customize cpanels to match my business' logo so everything looks professional. white labeling hosting.

What Website Hosting solution do you use?

Site5 review by Executive Sponsor in Computer Software
Executive Sponsor in Computer Software

Service is decaying rapidly...

What do you like best?

Been a customer of Site5 for a while. Initially the support experience was what the others have stated. Over and above - willing to help out in anyway they could, etc. However, as they have shifted away from all phone support in favor of chat only service has really declined dramatically.

What do you dislike?

Scripted replies that don't align with the questions on chat queues. No way to talk to anyone regardless of the severity of the problem. Chat agents are focused on scripting you answers I think until you give up... most interactions of late have gone through several chat sessions before they will even initiate a ticket, let alone escalate.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have critical solutions you are hosting and will need immediate and escalated support look elsewhere - escalated support takes days not hours.

The hosting has been pretty reliable for the most part. Went through a rough spot with a lot of short outages for a while. Upgrades shut off permissions to things that have been previously set... but overall seeking new hosting solution due to the above - the above is costing me far more than any benefit i am receiving from Site5

Site5 review by <span>Winston D.</span>
Winston D.

A decent product with a troubled past

What do you like best?

Site5 makes it very easy to get started. Due to the container structure, it is incredibly simple to get started with, rather than needing to configure a whole server on your own.

What do you dislike?

As a Rails developer, Site5 used to be amazing. They were one of the few companies that offered the whole package of easy deployment and simple domain setup. Those days have long passed though. Ever since their fiasco about the ruby 1.8.7 upgrade. Even after that version had been retired mid-2013, they still lacked any attempt at a fix until later in November. By this point, the switch was over to Ruby 2.0, and more importantly, newer versions of Rails which had compatibility issues with the dated version of Ruby being run. Eventually, the sites I had hosted failed all together, and I still have as of yet to move them over to a better hosting provider.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Site5 can be great, but they have been going downhill recently. If you are looking for something to get your feet wet with customizing the software for webhosting, this could be for you. As it stands, Site5 has made major errors, such as taking multiple years to make the upgrade to any version of Ruby 2, citing that it would "break things", even when it could be a simple opt-in. While they might get better, be weary of the past and make sure that you are not stuck with Site5.

Needed to get started hosting Rails, and I wasn't disappointed at the time. As time wore on, nothing changed.

Site5 review by <span>Yuliya R.</span>
Yuliya R.

Fantastic hosting provider

What do you like best?

I've been a customer of Site5 for over a year and a half. I am someone who is savvy enough to use wordpress and dabble on the backend of site management but not to a developer degree. I did very thorough research before I decided to go with them, eliminating giants like GoDaddy and HostGator in the process. Site5 has 24 hour customer service and their live chat feature is a life saver for a small business owner. Their ticketing software and customer service reps are very quick and efficient. If they can't fix my problem, they will tell me who can. I never experienced any service interruptions, my site loads quickly and even the email system works quite well.

What do you dislike?

There were several times when an issue took multiple nudges to resolve - someone would tell me they couldn't fix it when I knew for a fact they could. After contacting a few different customer reps, my issue was resolved in the end but it took an unnecessarily long time. However, this is certainly an exception to the rule rather than the norm.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a person that is not terribly tech savvy, I would absolutely recommend hiring a web developer to help set up things on the back end and with general site maintenance.

I am a small business owner who relies on clients and income that comes from my website. Therefore it is paramount to me that a hosting provider has top notch customer service and support and understands my needs. Site5 has certainly delivered on all the areas I needed help/assurance with.

Site5 review by Administrator

Site5 Response Time & Assitance

What do you like best?

When we initially registered with Site5 we were utilizing a web developer that acted as the middle man when we ran into issues. With budgetary constraints we had to eventually take this over ourselves. We rarely experienced issues until more recently when one of our sites was hacked.

What do you dislike?

The response time and their willingness to help was awful. One of our websites that was being hosted on their site was hacked. When we approached them for help and guidance we were shocked at how little they did to help us and even more in shock at how much we got passed around from one technician to the next. None of which seemed to know anything. We eventually reached out to our previous web developer to help us get the site back up and running.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Their customer service is severely lacking and if you have an issue you are lucky to get a hold of someone let alone someone who may know what is going on and even less likely to get a solid answer as to how to fix it.

We are learning that just because a company may look the part the true test is how they do when issues arise. Granted no one wants to experience issues at all but that's not realistic. Now we are in the midst of potentially looking for a new hosting site where it is more user friendly and suited to our companies needs.

Learning about Site5?

* We monitor all Site5 reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.