Sketch

Sketch gives you the power, flexibility and speed you always wanted in a lightweight and easy-to-use package. Finally you can focus on what you do best: Design.

Work for Sketch?

Learning about Sketch?

Sketch Reviews

Showing 771 Sketch reviews
Sketch review by Nati A.
Nati A.

"The most awesome program for UI design"

What do you like best?

I love Sketch. Not being a former Adobe user, I learned this program from scratch. It took me really a few hours to be up and running. The possibilities are awesome for UI design. The best is the combination with different plugins specially Zeplin, assets export and usage of symbols. I'm in love with it. The pricing is totally fair. Leave Adobe and move to Sketch, don't think twice.

What do you dislike?

Choosing the layers and editing different things, still gets a little messy. But it has done a long way and the program keeps being updated, so I'm sure this will be solved too.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking to retouch pictures or print, then Adobe is still the way to go. However, if your work involves web and mobile, Sketch will cover all your needs faster, in a best performance and much cheaper price.

The export of assets for different apps and mobile sizes is very easy now. Also the usage of vectors allows us to design in 1x and export to all the relevant sizes.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Sketch
Sketch review by Ross G.
Ross G.

"The best soft for design ever"

What do you like best?

This soft is built for designers by designers. They really know what do we need to create great projects. I used to use Adobe Illustrator for designing websites, but one day my friend suggest me to try Sketch. I thought it would be hard to start with a totally new soft, but not. It is so simple, that people who don't understand what is web design is, can easily learn how to create simple elements in Sketch.

I tried to use Figma for a few days, but at the moment it is not so great as Sketch.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the soft runs out and doesn't save the layouts for last 1 or 2 minutes. It is a pity, but it happens. I can't say that I dislike something in Sketch. Everything is really perfect.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Explore its plugins and subscribe to the channels which teach to use its all functions.

I am a designer and a brand manager in the SAAS company named mssg.me. Every day I face a necessity to design a few new pages for the service or design a presentation. The Sketch is always opened on my Dock. I use it for at least 7 hours per day.

Sketch has a lot of integrations, which help me to do my work better and faster. I have installed some plugins, they help me to export my layouts to the developers or faster make repeated operations.

What Diagramming solution do you use?

Sketch review by Lindsey G.
Lindsey G.

"Easy to Use Application Design Tool"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to create symbols within Sketch to utilize throughout mockups. They're a great way to utilize components in multiple places and only have to update it once. I absolutely love the ease of creating artboards, and the workflow around different viewpoints and versions. Also, a very under-appreciated aspect of Sketch - is the autosave!

What do you dislike?

The ability to create a style guide for items in my artboard. Sketch should be able to have a designated set of styles that are implemented in the same way that symbols are in the program. Not having layering was weird to get used to, coming from Adobe software its handled a bit differently, but overall it's the same theory. Also, making layer masks within sketch requires you to retrain your brain about how masking works.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're coming from Adobe, this is an easy transition. If you're not sure what program to use for design and you're choosing Sketch, there is little onboarding within the platform itself, but a good community of users that have made plenty of tutorials for getting started and what to expect. Overall, I would say the integration within InVision is a huge prototyping bonus, and it really is a much better tool for application design than Illustrator or Photoshop.

We utilized Sketch for a website redesign project handed off to us by an outsourced designer. From there we worked within the program to create styles, additional assets, components, and ultimately pages for desktop and mobile designs.

Sketch review by Leisy V.
Leisy V.

"The Best UI design Software I've Ever Used"

What do you like best?

I absolutely love Sketch and have completely converted to it. The UI is so simple, streamlined, well organized, and easy to use. I absolutely love the large variety of plugins and its compatibility with so many other design tools like UnSplash, Snazzy maps, and Craft. I love its integration with other animation software like Principle. Sketch is also very cutting edge. So many features were launched by Sketch first and then later implemented by other top companies. In comparison to other competitor's managing multiple artboards is handled seamlessly with very little lag, and options panels and tools are available instantaneously without lagging or slowing down my computer.

What do you dislike?

I love Sketch and have no complaints whatsoever about it. I'm excited to see it grow even more.

We needed a faster UI design software to help us get our website UI designs out faster, and Sketch did the trick. Its performance was lightyears faster than Photoshop, and saved so much time on our production team performance wise alone. The plugin they have for pulling in UnSplash images, integrating InVision, adding Snazzy Maps, and generating tables also increased our productivity so much. We absolutely love Sketch and have not gone back to another program since.

Sketch review by Nick P.
Nick P.

"I love Sketch and it's improved my workflow soooooo much"

What do you like best?

It's a super well thought out program, specifically for web / interface design. It's got prototyping included, which is awesome. It makes it super easy to design multiple screensizes in one document, and very easy to export images. I really love the fact that it gives you the CSS for the type as well. It also makes it easy to repeat text styles and symbols, and edit every instance of them afterword. It's greatly improved my workflow.

What do you dislike?

I haven't really found anything that I don't like yet. There aren't many image editing options, but I expected that, so I just bring something in from Photoshop. I'm sure I'll find something nit-picky in the future, but for now, I'm loving it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great product. It's well thought out, and made specifically for web/interface design.

As I mentioned, it's greatly improved my workflow. I can have all of the pages of a site, and the different screen sizes, in one document, and then if I need to change a header, or symbol, I can edit it in one place, and it effects all of the pages. In the past I'd have to open up multiple different files and make the same changes multiple times.

Sketch review by Helio C.
Helio C.

"Many tools are emerging, but only Sketch does the right thing"

What do you like best?

The simplicity, integration . with other apps, and mainly the plugins that give a certain customisation for each type of user.

Symbols are one of the best things on Sketch and helps to create a really good Design System by applying Atomic Design concept.

Layout and Grid settings are great for creating a high standard design..

What do you dislike?

Sketch still misses the rich interactive elements. It's implemented a way to prototype between one screen and another, but not with one element of the screen or a prototype that allows a richer interactive for User Testing. Symbols are amazing, but hard to manage them when there are a lot of symbols.

There is a feature for respnsive design, but, it's quite basic and does not link to different breakpoints when one element of the screen might go to a different place according to users device resolution.

Recommendations to others considering the product

100% recommended for Visual Design rather than a rich prototype. It is also the easiest tool, in my opinion, to learn how to design for mobile products.

- Time to market | Help to create really fast a prototype.

- Learning Curve | Even non-designers learned really fast Sketch.

- Sharing | As it integrates with InVision, it easy to share with a customer.

- When integrated with Abstract, solves the problem of two or more Designers working on in the same project.

Sketch review by Nishant S.
Nishant S.

"Simply awesome!"

What do you like best?

The ease at which everything is accessible and just works out of the box is something none of the other design apps have. Sketch stands out when it comes to doing design in terms of UI. One more thing that I liked the support for various plugins, because if there was something that Sketch couldn't do, there would always be a plugin available that could do the same. It is a powerhouse when it comes to managing assets since they brought in the symbols support, which makes life so much easier to handle a group of design elements.

What do you dislike?

The limited support for export options and the subscription model they switched to for using the product, because of which I switched to Adobe XD recently. One more thing that stood out as a problem was that the product for me cannot handle when the file size increases and it typically freezes for me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is really the defacto in the industry and one of the easiest to work with. I would recommend this to people who prefer the subscription model if this product.

I typically freelance and have designed various design prototypes for startups and companies alike. The ability to iterate quickly as the demands changes have been really helpful for me while designing those prototypes. The clients tend to make a lot of changes in the design and being able to react to those with a version they like is of huge importance to me.

Sketch review by Oscar D.
Oscar D.

"Best app for digital design, specially for mobile apps"

What do you like best?

- Clean and intuitive design

- Very easy to export to all image file vector formats I use daily (pdf, svg)

- A lot of very useful plug-ins (extensions)

- Its bundled with templates for mobile and web designs

- Can be connected to Invision (invisionapp.com) for fast prototyping

- Lightweight and optimized compared to other apps like Adobe Illustrator

- Quick preview on devices (iOS & Android)

What do you dislike?

- Currently only available on Mac

- Missing included features for doing animations for mobile apps (as with Lottie)

- Doesn't have a dark (night) mode

- Too little options for image editing (filters)

Recommendations to others considering the product

In my opinion it's currently the best app for designing mobile apps. There are other new competitors as Invision Studio or Adobe XD trying to recover customers but so far I still found Sketch the most complete and professional solution for this.

I use it mainly for designing and prototyping mobile apps (iOS and Android)

Sketch review by Fernanda N O.
Fernanda N O.

"Amazing Software for UI and UX"

What do you like best?

Sketch is a very easy and intuitive software to use and helps users create several interfaces in a few minutes. Users can work on multiple artboards at the same time and have the desktop, tablet and mobile versions of the layout in the same file, which can be very practical if there is a need to change some details on the design of the interfaces.

What do you dislike?

The software gets a lot of updates in short periods of time, which is a bit annoying since you get that same notification a lot of times when you open Sketch. Apart from that, there is nothing bad about the software itself or in need of improvement that I can think about now.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are new to UI and UX, Sketch is a very easy software to learn and help you get to a professional level. Sketch has several features, as the mirroring interfaces to a mobile device or the export settings to save SVG icons or transparent PNG images without the necessity of using another software. Also, there are several interface templates for users to create wireframes and design mockups in a fast pace and help users be more accurate and fast at their work.

It helps create different versions of the interfaces very quickly, so you can test the best design and usability. Also, it can export icons and images in several formats, such as SVG, PNG, and JPEG.

Sketch review by Miguel P.
Miguel P.

"Excellent design application for MacOS"

What do you like best?

It is the design tool that many were waiting for. It is really easy to use and efficient.

If you are a good designer you will make great use of this tool.

It is custom made to be the best design tool for making mobile and web applications. I have seen some people use it to create awesome vector art.

There are a lot of available plugins to extend its functionality.

What do you dislike?

There are some features that would make web design easier, and the team is adding them, but the speed of their additions is not good enough. Still, they are working very hard and adding changes almost every month.

The lack of velocity on fixing and adding new features is compensated by the awesome community that builds great plugins.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can not go wrong if you choose this software.

Designers love this tool, they communicate and make awesome work with it. The developers also like it because it allows them to export the things they need for their development (SVG, jpegs, pngs, etc).

Sketch review by Taly M.
Taly M.

"I'm truly loving Sketch"

What do you like best?

The thing I love about Sketch is how fast it is, I used to take minutes to save a large document using Photoshop but with Sketch it usually takes a few seconds. Second thing I love about sketch is the Symbols. it makes my life much easier when I am having to deal with many different screens that has same/similar items. Another thing I really like about Sketch is how it works pretty well with proto.io and Zeplin.

What do you dislike?

It is hard to even think of something bad about sketch, since I started using it it only took me a few days to start getting the understanding of how it works. The only thing I can think of that I used to be able to quickly do on photoshop is quick photo editing. If I had to say another thing it would be the lack of templates and resources that can be found when working with sketch, but I've noticed in the past year that a lot has been added to the libraries.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are familiar with Photoshop you will quickly understand how Sketch works. After using and loving photoshop for over 15 years I made the switch and I am very happy about it.

The business solutions we use Sketch for is User Experience Design. There is a lot of benefits including how it connects with products such as Zeplin which makes it easier to share assets with developers and other departments.

Sketch review by Lauren G.
Lauren G.

"The new industry standard for UI design, design systems, and prototyping"

What do you like best?

This is tailor-made for designers who screen-based interfaces. It is easy to use, has a whole marketplace and community of plugins that add superpowers to the base interface. It is incredibly affordable and the team is constantly improving the application from version-to-version.

What do you dislike?

It can become a bit slow and buggy and said awesome plugins can cause some headaches when exporting to other services via plugins (plugin conflict). I wish it had better font and typography settings as well as color overrides for symbols and text styles.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is a big community of sketch users on YouTube and elsewhere to teach you all you need to know. Once you understand the basics of the program, it is incredibly easy to quickly create designs. Shortcuts are your friends!

Building design assets for client and internal projects.

Sketch review by Caleb H.
Caleb H.

"Design for digital"

What do you like best?

Sketch is design software rethought through the lens of creating digital products, and seems especially relevant to modern frameworks like React. What I mean is that in the same way that you build components once and use them everywhere, Sketch allows you to design that way. You can create components (they call them symbols, similar to Illustrator) and then use them all over the place. When you drop a symbol into a design, you can use overrides to swap out text or nested symbols. The result is that you start thinking about your design in a way that helps inform development.

What do you dislike?

It took me a while to get the hang of how to get the most out of it. For example, how to properly create nested symbols in a way that makes the end component super reusable, or how to name symbols in a way that folds them into sets.

When I pair Sketch with UXPin, I can easily create and update prototypes and interactive mockups for app development. There's a plugin that pushes directly from Sketch into UXPin, so I can create a prototype and then update it with a button click (not even losing my interactions in UXPin). Brilliant.

Sketch review by Cristina Marie C.
Cristina Marie C.

"Sketch - an OCD designer's best friend!"

What do you like best?

As someone who likes both design and code, Sketch is the easiest way for me to be pixel perfect without having to actually develop. In using other programs, it's always been "close but not quite" and it had been easier to just half-build already before handing it over to the programmers.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the amount of prompts there are to update. It would be easiest if there was a way to just allow automatic downloads instead. I also feel the preset artboards for device widths aren't as up to date. I also don't like that you can't sync it to the cloud for versioning

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's always worth to try new programs to compare and contrast the same workflows and processes you have so that way you either find new ways to improve or you reaffirm how effective your current product is.

The problems we're solving is being able to create clean and quick designs that can be used for rapid prototyping. We're also able to have the designers on the team use the same software so that we can easily collaborate and switch between projects when necessary

Sketch review by Eric S.
Eric S.

"Pretty great."

What do you like best?

So I used to use Photoshop and Illustrator CC exclusively, and even when it came to web design, I primarily liked to stick to these products to get a visual feel and hire a developer to create the actual site for me.

Sketch actually made this process really simple for me- I don't have to worry about making dummy content, its plugins really help you create what you need and lets you expedite the process.

What do you dislike?

One thing I don't really like about the software is that the hotkeys are different from Adobe products. I understand it's not Adobe, but I wished hotkeys were universal.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just get it, it'll make everything easier in terms of UI design. If you're doing more print work, you don't really need to venture into it as much.

I'm currently doing all wireframing with Sketch now. I create UI designs exclusively on Sketch and stick with Photoshop and Illustrator for more print related work.

Sketch review by Joseph I.
Joseph I.

"Great program for a specific use"

What do you like best?

The infinite artboard is the primary reason I use Sketch. There are a lot of programs which will not allow the user to make the artboard the size they want but this is one of Sketch's strongest features.

Premade device sizes is a lifesaver when trying to create a quick mockup of something.

All of the plugins is really a primary reason to use Sketch. While some of the things should already be built into Sketch, the plugins make life a lot easier.

What do you dislike?

Not having HSB when creating a swatch color. This is my go-to way of editing a color but now I have to go into another program and get the hex value of a color and put it into Sketch. Going along with not having HSB, not having a dedicated swatches panel makes using the program and finding a color a lot more difficult.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend this to another person if they are using this product for very specific things.

I am trying to create design deliverable using Sketch. Currently, I use this program to create user flows.

Sketch review by Paul W.
Paul W.

"I Was Debating Re-learning Illustrator or Trying Sketch"

What do you like best?

About a decade ago (I'm old) I used Illustrator to do some basic design work for sales materials and UI mock-ups. Recently I decided to get back to editing icons, UI components, etc. and before I took the Adobe plunge I tried the Sketch free trial. It's amazingly easy to learn. Specifically the pen tool and layers features have been reworked to be more intuitive. Also it's pretty affordable and doesn't have a complex license system like Adobe.

What do you dislike?

I think they are improving their integrations with products like Invision to create clickable prototypes but the lack of a native solution (like Adobe XD) slows down the process of building prototypes. I still use Adobe XD for quick mocks that just need boxes and text with basic interactions. I head to Sketch when I need high fidelity or more complex mocks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Super easy to demo, worth trying.

By being easier to learn it allows more collaboration outside of design. For example product and marketing can make edits, capture basic concepts and work independently of design.

Sketch review by Bryan S.
Bryan S.

"My favorite UI Design Tool"

What do you like best?

I love Sketch because it was designed with designers in mind. The application is perfectly crafted for User Interface design unlike traditional tools such as Photoshop. Nested layers and the ability to create vector graphics make this an ideal tool to do anything from creating initial wireframes to designing a basic logo all the way to designing an entire application. The new library feature makes it great for developing a shareable design system.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike is that it is still in its nascency and has a lot more potential features that could be added. Currently, most of these features are being supplemented by plugins, which is a good solution for now.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're new to Sketch check out their amazing docs page https://sketchapp.com/docs/ or look up tutorials online. Sketch also has a great Slack community to get support and help with questions.

Designing enterprise-grade software user interfaces including flow diagrams, wireframes, mobile & web application interfaces.

Sketch review by Haissar P.
Haissar P.

"A versatile UI design tool"

What do you like best?

Within a matter of 2 hours I can have custom presets made and being used in a wireframe. Additionally, this isn't like photoshop, you can export any vector based assets as svgs right on the spot, It's helpful to periodically browse the Sketch updates for new features, bug fixes, and plugins. This software is geared toward designing for screens and prototyping, and doesn't overwhelm you with loads of specialized features for other purposes.

What do you dislike?

Each time I begin a project, I have to start my symbol library from scratch, The process of finding and installing plugins for Sketch is pretty convoluted. While symbols is an awesome and necessary feature, it's painfully disorganized, also inability to save color palettes ans style library.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It makes the job easy for the designer and easy for the front end developers, Sketch is an excellent choice for designers who want software that evolves with current practices and standards.

allows to easily create and communicate web and mobile, It's easy to learn and quick to use. It will save you time and money

Sketch review by Salvador V.
Salvador V.

"Best iOS Integration for Mock Ups"

What do you like best?

Sketch and the accompanying iOS app is a great tool for laying out the user interface for any app. As you edit on the computer, the iPhone running the app will update the changes that you made live. As opposed to Photoshop, Sketch is intuitive and has become a strong industry standard in app development. The menus look modern making it easy to add figures, shapes or even save different formats. The zoom tool is incredibly useful when trying to get pixel-perfect graphics. At 800%, alignment is a breeze.

What do you dislike?

Sketch like all software requires updates. After a year I believe, you are no longer allowed free updates and in order to do so you have to pay for another year's worth of updates.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the included iOS app to design your app. Dramatically better than if you spend the entire time on a desktop trying to design for mobile.

Sketch is a great place to start when building any app. Xcode may actually build the app but Sketch lays out what the user will actually see. Spending a good amount of time in Sketch before coding will save a lot of time in coding since you know exactly what elements and in what proportions they should display on devices. The templates included are incredibly useful in making app icons and submitting all necessary files to the App Store.

Sketch review by Emily M.
Emily M.

"Web & Mobile Layouts Made Simple"

What do you like best?

Sketch makes designing web and mobile layouts simple. It's got a great set of tools for creating pixel-perfect designs, turning them into clickable prototypes, and even testing them on your phone with Sketch Preview. I love working in this tool every day.

What do you dislike?

Sketch, like any app, does have a few minor flaws. I don't particularly like how the program handles color profiles, for example. The frequent updates can be a bit annoying, too.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I really think Sketch is heading in the right direction. It seems to get better with every single iteration. If you need a tool for creating layout designs, this is the right choice!

My team and I use Sketch to create and test layout designs. Sketch makes this easy and saves us considerable time over Photoshop or other design tools because it's made for this one purpose.

Sketch review by Susan R.
Susan R.

"Industry standard -- but doesn't match CC"

What do you like best?

Very simple to get started.Easy tutorials and onboarding is really quite good. Lots of templates, which makes learning and using really easy. The templates are probably the best thing in Sketch.

Perfect for the beginner through intermediate UX designer. My students pick it up very quickly. There're lots of plugins to make annotating and prototyping really easy. And more are being created every day. Nice way to output assets.

Sketch is adding features all the time, so bound to improve. They're giving Adobe a run for their money. Now if they'd just make UI design easier, then I think we'd all take the leap permanently.

What do you dislike?

Not nearly as flexible and feature-rich as any Creative Cloud applications (Illustrator, Photoshop). Senior-level product designers are more likely to be experts with CC than with Sketch, and find some features non-intuitive (like layers and groupings). Also, no go for UI design, so those wires have to be pulled into CC anyway--which is a more onerous workflow--why not just start in CC?

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a must-know for product designers. That being said, if you're already proficient at CC, then this is a simple tool to add to your list. Go for it.

I use it for creating wireframes. I teach it to beginning UX students. It's really easy onboarding, it's the application that all beginner UX jobs require. Students learn it very rapidly. Good for simple wireframing and outputting assets.

Sketch review by Mackenzie R.
Mackenzie R.

"Sketch for Design"

What do you like best?

It's easy to download, costs very little, and anybody can learn the program without having a background in design software. Compared to Photoshop it's more agile and easier to flow between designers without having link new smart objects or save old versions. The tools are powerful for prototyping and designing interface.

What do you dislike?

Compared to Photoshop though, it does lack the photo editing qualities that you need when putting together a full ad. So that makes it difficult when working on multiple facets of a project.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Have it on hand, it takes very little to learn and master the software.

I feel like more people and companies are starting to use Sketch and so by having both PS and Sketch on hand to use we are able to keep up with clients who prefer to use one over another. It's easier for others to go in an edit and therefore makes the whole design/copy editing process quicker and easier.

Sketch review by Arielle M.
Arielle M.

"Efficient UI Tool"

What do you like best?

Sketch is an amazing tool when working with UI kits for product design. I use Sketch at work to design for websites and apps, and its super easy to create elements and edit them across the full project by editing a single symbol. My favorite collaboration is with Invision via Craft Sync; I love being able to see my designs on my devices as I revise. Craft also has useful tools on its own, including duplication, quick image placement from libraries, and more!

What do you dislike?

Sketch is only lacking some photo editing skills that I can't go without as a product designer. If you want to create dynamic prototypes with angled phones and different effects, Photoshop is still the answer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're considering Sketch, the learning curve is very slight. The quick controls are different, but make sense and Craft Sync–among needing other plugins for efficientcy–is odd at first. But after a couple of days/weeks it is a huge improvement if you're transitioning from designing products in Adobe Illustrator.

I create all of my designs with Sketch for my business needs. Our whole design team has transitioned to Sketch and it has been a great exercise in unifying all of our product styles and syncing the team's designs.

Sketch review by Megan C.
Megan C.

"Sketch is a versatile UI design tool "

What do you like best?

I use Sketch daily for creating mobile & web UIs. I love the export feature, particularly when mocking interactions in Origami Studio, because it can exports as layers or flat .jpegs. There are a variety of useful preset templates. I also really love the symbol tool for commonly used designs such as buttons, headers, etc., because it allows you to simply drop in the symbol, and you can still make one-off design changes to it as necessary, saving significant time when creating high fidelity mocks in a UI that may have several very similar screens or elements.

What do you dislike?

The only thing that I don't like about Sketch is that it isn't a one-stop shop. I'd love if I could create a functional prototype from within Sketch itself, instead of needing to export to other tools like InVision, Origami, or Adobe XD to create interactive prototypes.

I design mobile and web applications.

Sketch review by Joel H.
Joel H.

"The new standard for UI design"

What do you like best?

Sketch has been my go-to user interface tool for the last 4 years for so many reasons. It's fast and lightweight, it's intuitive, it had artboards before Photoshop caught up, it has the best asset export tools, its new auto layout tools are incredibly powerful, symbols are the best, and the endless possibilities of 3rd party plugins make it the only real option for designing apps and websites.

What do you dislike?

• I still prefer to create vector artwork (icons, etc) in Illustrator. The drawing and path editing tools are a little clunky.

• Pixel fitting is great, but resizing pasted-in vector artwork can really mangle things if you don't turn it off. And the rest of your work gets very messy if you forget to turn pixel fitting back on.

• I do sometimes find myself wishing the image editing capabilities where better, even though I know this is not what Sketch was built for, and this is precisely the reason I started using it in the first place.

• Collaboration across multiple disciplines and offices with shared libraries

• Better integration of UX and design teams.

• Greater speed and efficiency

Sketch review by Gustavo G.
Gustavo G.

"New standard for web and apps UI/UX design"

What do you like best?

What I like most is for sure the simplicity. Imagine if they removed everything you don't use in photoshop and added the remaining features in a cleaner UI. And even better, it costs a lot less than Adobe programs (mid/long term). But don't get me wrong, being simple doesn't mean it isn't powerful - it has everything you need to general layout and vector drawing. Another thing that helps my development team a lot is the fact that it is very easy to share multiple resolutions assets (mobile ui designer will know what I'm talking about - 1x, 2x, 3x, XXHDP, etc)

What do you dislike?

First and foremost it is only for Mac. Windows users will have to settle with other software like Photoshop or Experience Design. It is also known that this products is still very buggy, but the good part is that you get fix updates quite often. Photo editing is still weak, you will have to rely on other software too.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you really depend on other Adobe software, you should consider sticking with Photoshop and Adobe Experience Design.

Create UI and UX designs that will be later developed by our development team. Doing this on Sketch has been definitely improving not only the style of our designs, but shortening the communication gap between our design and development team. We are now more able to contribute, distribute and also has quicken a lot our design iterations.

Sketch review by Taylor B.
Taylor B.

"Sketch is Really Almost Perfect"

What do you like best?

I use Sketch for most of my interface design work. It's a great tool for designing sleek, responsive applications. I love the options for creating symbols, which are almost like a programmatic approach to creating reusable design elements. It makes designing interfaces that stay in sync easy.

What do you dislike?

Sketch is almost perfect. I say almost because there are bugs introduced about every other week since they update the app so frequently. Most of them are pretty minor, so this is a smaller issue than it sounds like, though.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Sketch is extremely helpful for teams who need to move quickly and build designs and prototypes. You should check it out.

I use Sketch to create designs for our iOS and Android apps. The program has helped my team and I streamline and speed up our design process. We love it.

Sketch review by Elizabeth R.
Elizabeth R.

"The only UX / UI tool you should use"

What do you like best?

Sketch took what Adobe did with Photoshop and Illustrator and married them into something that is user friendly and constantly evolving. Great for mocking up user interfaces. With the new implementation of shared libraries, it's simple to keep all of your assets up to date. This type of feature was requested by users and was incorporated after some testing. This type of thing happens all the time as Sketch constantly pushes new versions of their app.

What do you dislike?

If you have the most up-to-date version of Sketch and share a file with someone that doesn't have that version, there is no way to down-save.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make use of the plug-ins that connect with your Sketch. My favorites are Craft, InVision, and the ability to import a custom icon font library such as Material. You can even download templates online to learn so that you don't need to start from scratch on your designs. There are also plenty of tutorials online that teach you how to fully utilize the great features that Sketch has to offer.

As a user experience designer, I am able to confidently create mock-ups for everything within Sketch. I'm able to sync with my InVision account to easily share interactive prototypes with my teams. On top of that, Sketch incorporates a new feature called "Inspect" that makes it easy to give access to my developers.

Sketch review by Samuel S.
Samuel S.

"The new standard"

What do you like best?

I learned to be a designer using Adobe products. And I never had any issues, never wished I could do something faster or more efficient. And then my company turned to Sketch. Honestly I dread opening Illustrator now. First, Sketch is designed as a native application for the Mac OS so it runs smoother, feels lighter, and integrates with the overall experience of my computer so much better. Second, it's ridiculously easy to pick up and start using. It's an insanely powerful, yet frictionless tool, providing me contextual controls with ease and handling very large files like they're nothing. Adobe products just can't do what Sketch does when it comes to symbols and plugins.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I can't use Sketch for is in depth vector creation. I have to turn to Illustrator 100% of the time if I'm making anything more complicated than basic shapes. And type handling isn't as great either, specifically type manipulation. However, Sketch wasn't designed to handle these kinds of problems, and I really don't have a problem with having 2 different programs for those 2 different use cases.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get Sketch and don't even look back. The new implementation of a global symbols library is fire. Your team will function so smoothly with it.

I use sketch for any UX, UI, and even basic graphic design. The biggest benefit I've realized is pixel perfection. Getting to that in Illustrator takes years of practice and probably bald spots. Seriously I didn't even really understand what pixel perfect meant until I used Sketch.

Sketch review by Vasil E.
Vasil E.

"Great experience"

What do you like best?

I like the symbols and all the third-party apps that you can add to sketch. The sketch api allows developers to make all sort of cool features. And even if sketch is missing something a third-party developer could show and make it. Like that one that I just started using last week for version controll. It's a game changer if you create designs in collaboration with other designers. I like the simplicity of Sketch and how it allows me to focus on the design. I like the style copy - great feature.

What do you dislike?

Performance is not that great specially when you zoom in/out. Also a nice feature would be to be able to double click to enter a group. Also for icon design, it could be better. And I am missing a vector brush and just the ability to sketch things.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out and see if it's for you!

UI design, sketch is best at that and that's what I am using it for. I guess good design is very important part of any business, so any tool that can help you with that is a great addition!

Sketch review by Mike L.
Mike L.

"The best Ui software I've seen in my 11 years of professional experience"

What do you like best?

There is no other ui design software out there that comes close to Sketch's effectiveness. The ability to create styles and symbols for elements that are reused over and over is fantastic. The ui and interactions are buttery smooth. Open source filters are also a fantastic feature that I'll use from time to time. I love the ability to have as many artboards that I need, and be able to upload them to Zeplin for my developers to consume.

What do you dislike?

If a member on my team upgrades to the latest version before anyone else, nobody is able to open his/her file until they upgrade to the latest version as well. The lack of backwards compatibility can be a pain. Also, when there is an update that is unstable, I dislike that it cripples my workflow. I wish there was a way to revert to an older version without having to go into the mac time machine.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give Sketch a shot. It is a little awkward at first. It took me about 2 1/2 weeks to feel productive. But, It is worth it. There are a lot of great free resources (you tube videos and tutorials) to help you get started.

I use sketch to help create a design system, user flows and prototypes for our mobile apps. In utilizing sketch in this process, we have saved the company money and time by delivering designs that are pre-annotated with exact values to developers.

Sketch review by Stu M.
Stu M.

"Fast and easy to knock out lots of UI design work."

What do you like best?

For software and web UI design, we tend to create lots and lots of variations, so being able to quickly create, duplicate and modify screens with slight variations is key. This is made easy by features such as symbols (not a unique idea but they work so well in Sketch).

The slicing and asset export is also excellent, it's very easy to use but also flexible enough to export complex things like sprite sheets (even if the design is only displaying certain icons from the sprite).

We use it with Zeplin to share design work with other team members and the Zeplin export plugin work very well with zeplin, and lets us create very accurate design specifications.

What do you dislike?

Rendering when zooming in and out of an (admittedly large) project, is very laggy.

Another small issue is that you can close the window without the app warning you. I guess they allow this because it autosaves anyway so you don't actually lose anything by doing this, except that you do lose your undo history which is invaluable in many situations. I accidentally close the window all the time, mainly when I open a symbol and my brain tells me it's a new tab (probably because I also use Axure, which works like this).

And the fact that it tells me how many updates behind I am after my license expired :(

A way to quickly produce, accurate, easy create and modify UI visual design work.

Sketch review by Aislinn B.
Aislinn B.

"Great for Website and Product Design"

What do you like best?

The functionality rivals both Illustrator and Photoshop to create designs for websites. Sketch has an ease of use that other products don't. One of the best features is the ability to sync with InVision, the automatic sync works efficiently to get the wireframes, designs and style tiles up in front of clients without having extra steps. Sketch provides a more cohesive flow than one would expect from a web prototyping program.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that you have to download tons of plugins for extra features that should just be a part of the program. This takes time and some of the programmers that make the plugins could use them as backdoors into your computer. I feel this isn't the safest way to get extra feature components.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to download all the useful plugins, Sketch isn't a stand-alone program the plugins are what make it great.

I use Sketch to create developer ready art work that requires very little after design need for assets. The assets are already built into the art in Sketch as are the sizes and code for various CSS needs. This reduces the amount of overhead needed after the design has been completed. Overall a very useful tool to design a website.

Sketch review by Maritza L.
Maritza L.

"The perfect solution for creating any UI project and high fidelity mockups and prototypes"

What do you like best?

It's very intuitive and easy to use. You can create unlimited artboards, make symbols, import vectors... Also making masks for images is a breeze. You can create different text styles (such as styles for titles, paragraphs, sections, etc) and add the project colors, for easy selection. There's a lot of free resources, and plugins as well that make the workflow much more efficient. The software is very light to run, compared to other image/vector programs. It has a great integration with Invision. Easy to create and update prototypes using craft and invision.

What do you dislike?

It's only compatible with Mac. This is the biggest one. I really wish it becomes available for Windows users soon.

When you create symbols they become disorganized easily and you need to install plugins to organize them. The software doesn't come with icons, you need to install them or use plugins. Editing texts is a bit annoying when they are not symbols (which you can easily edit the text in the options panel). I wish that you could copy all the properties of a text with the dropper and not just the color. Sometimes the images disappear when they go outside the artboard and they are hard to select and drag with the mouse. It's hard to rotate elements, you need to do it manually in the property tool bar instead of directly in the element.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is the perfect solution for high fidelity prototypes and UI projects. It makes the job easy for the designer and easy for the front end developers, since you can export your project to Invision and make use of the "code" view, where the developer can check the project dimensions, typography, padding, colors etc. Sketch is still improving everyday and the users are creating plugins for the things that the software by itself may not have.

Creating UI projects for websites and apps mostly. It's very easy to create high fidelity prototypes. If you pair sketch with craft and invision, prototyping is a breeze.

Sketch review by Samantha R.
Samantha R.

"I use Sketch almost exclusively now..."

What do you like best?

I use Sketch for the vast majority of my day-to-day interface design work now. It's become my go-to because it's so streamlined for creating quick layouts. The tools for creating and editing shapes and turning them into repeatable elements are fantastic.

What do you dislike?

Sketch doesn't come with all the bells and whistles you might be used to from Adobe's design apps. While this is mostly a positive, it can sometimes mean you need to think a bit harder about how to create certain types of elements.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Sketch is a solid choice for day-to-day interface design. As long as you don't need to do something extremely complex, you should be in good hands with Sketch.

I use Sketch to create interface designs for our car OS. It's a really good way to iterate quickly on designs and prototypes.

Sketch review by Michael S.
Michael S.

"Fantastic Design Tool"

What do you like best?

The prototyping features built into sketch are next to none. Within a matter of 2 hours I can have custom presets made and being used in a wireframe. Additionally, this isn't like photoshop, you can export any vector based assets as svgs right on the spot and pull the css code directly from sketch when building a website.

When designing a website I can quickly and easily take the wireframe, drop in my actual elements and quickly convert the once wireframe into a full design.

This has cut my design and development process nearly in half. Simply changing small things in photoshop used to take at least double what it takes now. I love that it is integrated into the cloud very well for storage and when showing a client. They also have presets that you can setup when designing for desktop, tablet and mobile devices. I would recommend this tool to any web/app designer that is looking for a fantastic tool to speed up their process and increase production capacity.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that for file exporting you must export at twice the size then use another software to re-squish those pixels together or else when you export an jpg, or png the image will come out slightly worse then when you dropped it in.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely give sketch a try if you are in the design field. You won't regret it, especially at the lower price point it is at.

The transition from design to development/production was always a hard line to cross. With sketch everything can be made into a smooth transition. Sketch is built for web and app design and has solved issues across the board with creating style guides that are used throughout for consistency. Additionally, you can quickly and easily resolve discrepancies between the site and the design because everything is scaled exactly right.

Sketch review by Michelle L.
Michelle L.

"Simple yet powerful for product design"

What do you like best?

Everything I need up to prototyping for product design. There is almost no learning curve which is unusual and impressive for a tool of this calibre. The third-party plugins are a huge asset. One can find a plugin for any need. There are many plugins of quality that can elevate your product and design game. It's helpful to periodically browse the Sketch updates for new features, bug fixes, and plugins. I've gain new design skills or optimized my workflow via plugins. The sketch app makes designing for mobile viewports accurate and easy.

What do you dislike?

The prototyping solution would be a great aspect for the Sketch team to iterate on. Right now, prototyping is integrated with InVision. To use other tools, you'll need to export (very easy) into said prototyping tool.

Primarily for software but also use Sketch to design documents for print (resume, cover letter, invoices, brochures, etc).

Sketch review by Christina H.
Christina H.

"Built With App Designers and Front End Devs in Mind"

What do you like best?

As a designer who cut their teeth on much more bloated, complicated applications, using Sketch has been a relief. This software is geared toward designing for screens and prototyping, and doesn't overwhelm you with loads of specialized features for other purposes. Plus, Sketch is so customizable! If you're lacking a feature, there's a good chance that you can find a plugin to fulfill your needs.

What do you dislike?

My one wish is that Sketch came with a default library of UI elements, or that there was a way for me to build a global library for myself. Each time I begin a project, I have to start my symbol library from scratch. Of course, I could take my own advice and seek out a plugin for this! But having it available as a stock feature would save me some time and help keep my UI elements more organized.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely explore plugin options. If you have a need for a certain function, odds are that there have been other designers and teams with the same need. The Craft for InVision plugin suite is invaluable to me.

Sketch is an excellent choice for designers who want software that evolves with current practices and standards. The Bohemian team is constantly improving the app, and new plugins are released all the time.

The biggest benefit of working in Sketch is the connectivity it shares with other applications. I can serve up my screen designs to front end developers through the Zeplin plugin, or seamlessly update my InVision prototype through the Craft suite. Bohemian has given designers and devs the flexibility to mold the app into exactly what we need it to be.

Sketch review by Jeff P.
Jeff P.

"Excellent replacement for Photoshop in a Web Designers workflow"

What do you like best?

The best thing about Sketch - as somebody who came from Photoshop - is how fast it is to load! I can open Sketch and Photoshop at the same time and Sketch will be ready a full minute before Photoshop. It also consumes 1/4 of the system resources as PS.

What do you dislike?

The process of finding and installing plugins for Sketch is pretty convoluted. And I really wish there was a built in ruler tool, though Sketch has other methods to find widths and distances.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give the free trial a shot and see if it works for you.

Sketch has greatly sped up the time it takes for us to go from scratch to a fully designed website. It has a ways to go before it fully replaces Photoshop but it's become an indispensable tool in our toolbox. It's greatest benefit is how easily it handles multiple pages and artboards.

Sketch review by Adaoha O.
Adaoha O.

"Awesome tool! "

What do you like best?

I love the simplicity of Sketch and how easy it is to learn. I love the community behind it and all the support and plugins.

What do you dislike?

I can't think if what i don't like much about the tool in all honesty. Maybe if it had a bit more options and tools like illustrator, but then again, it might make it more bulky and lose it's slick UI.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It might seem a bit complicated at first, or maybe a little underwhelming depending on your background or what tools you've previously worked with, but give this tool a chance. Once you get the hang of it, the rest is a breeze. It makes your workflow so much faster and it's Invision integration is second to none. Granted there are third party plugins you can install to do a whole platter of things, especially Craft. This plugin allows your Sketch workflow and Invision to work seamlessly together. The way the art boards work is amazing, especially depending on the type of device you're working on, Sketch gives you starting dimension and icons, and components. Lastly, do not let the price hinder you from trying the product. More and more companies are catching on, and soon it might very well become THE "industry standard".

Sketch allows for quick prototyping so it helps save time and allows for less resources to be used. It's better to work in Sketch and run usability tests, than to code and then go backwards.

Sketch review by Lokesh D.
Lokesh D.

"King of UX Design Tools"

What do you like best?

The ease of use. The strong focus on user interface development permeates throughout Sketch’s core features — and this is what sold me on Sketch. Of course, Sketch comes with all the bread and butter tools that — symbols, pixel precision, grids and layout guides, vector editing, a plethora of export and import options and powerful collaboration tool integrations; but more than their availability, it’s the implementation that Sketch’s community has come to love and appreciate. From Symbols to seamless integration with powerful third-party Plugins - Sketch has designers covered. A constant stream of updates from the app’s developer Bohemian also helps streamline user experience through continuous improvements to core functionalities and bug fixes.

What do you dislike?

There isn’t much to dislike really. With it’s highly focused approach, Sketch hits the nail on the head in addressing the problems faced by UI/UX designers. If anything, I wish Sketch included perspectives for showcasing mockups right out of the box.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don’t take my word for it. If you’re on the fence over switching from Adobe Illustrator, give Sketch a shot by taking a free trial.

From design conceptualisation to delivering pixel-precise high-fidelity mockups along with powerful collaboration tools, product development is breeze with Sketch.

Sketch review by Jasmine A.
Jasmine A.

"Good for multiple projects!"

What do you like best?

Sketch is one of the newer apps out there readily available for users to explore when it comes to design, among many others but for half the cost. I enjoyed using the trial for graphic design, illustration and UI. It is a great tool for many other types of projects, such as mobile wireframes, UI elements, web and mobile applications, etc. I think Sketch will be (if it isn't already) a great alternative to competitors in the near future.

What do you dislike?

I wouldn't recommend Sketch for illustration. It can be difficult to transfer Adobe Illustrator skills to this app very quickly. The learning curve isn't too bad, but it will take you some time to grasp the differences if used for artwork. Plugins can be a pain as they don't always work and typesetting issues arise when you least expect them. It would be great if there were more tutorials or resources for new users.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If the pricing seems too high for you, try it out with their free trial. The plans scale nicely if you have a larger team, otherwise, it can be expensive for 1-2 users. If you're interested in learning UI and need a good app to create them, look no further.

What I love is that I can easily create mockups and small graphics with ease. Having both Photoshop and Sketch together has been very helpful in my UI/UX learning career as a student.

Sketch review by Patricio B.
Patricio B.

"Solid rock tool for UI Design"

What do you like best?

Skecth has too many good things but I will only list the ones that are the most important to me. First and by far, what I like best about sketch is its solidity to work. It is - within UI design programs - the one that works best, restarts not very often and can deal very well with very heavy files. Being specially built for the MacOS platform, it makes it very stable. I have worked with other new design programs that are electron based and are very slow.

Particularly in my point of view, the fluidity in the use of a program, is very important and Sketch has it.

Another feature that I really like about sketching is the amount of online resources that exist. Being a standard in the industry, there is a lot of community that creates shareable resources so - for example - if I need an example of a dashboard design, I find it very easily.

Finally, I must say, I highly recommend Sketch as a professional tool for UI design.

What do you dislike?

The little versatility when working several people in the same file. I know they are working on that, but I think it's a pending debt.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Sketch its the best, don't think a lot.

I am a user experience designer and use Sketch because it is the standard tool in my industry. You could say, Sketch solves everything.

Sketch review by Danut Mihai F.
Danut Mihai F.

"My experience using Sketch"

What do you like best?

Sketch builds on top of the SVG standard giving its users very easy and powerful tools for general layout and vector drawing. Its sharing/exporting features are the best in class which have been adopted even by the Adobe Creative Suite. You can easily create retina exports of your designs, so it's a must use tool when designing your mobile app elements. Last but not least, it has great integration with apps and plugins and it's quite affordable. There is a great library of 3rd party plugins that can improve Sketch even further.

What do you dislike?

It feels somewhat limited compared to more advanced software like Illustrator.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Download the trial and watch some tutorials online. Sketch is a very powerful tool, don't get confused by the simplicity of the UI.

I consider Sketch essential to everybody who has some involvement in design, whether it's big or small.

Sketch review by Drew W.
Drew W.

"Pick it up and run"

What do you like best?

The ease of use. Very intuitive. I hadn’t used photoshop in years and was worried about picking this up - but it’s easier than riding a bike. Hotkeys are brilliant - you don't need to learn them because you already know them... if you want to draw a rectangle, you just hit R. Its that simple.

What do you dislike?

Some things are almost too simple. I finding myself searching for a solution but ya usually right in front of my face... but you learn to love this design, its how things should be.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I can say that I was intimidated at first, but as soon as I sat down to use it, it all came together very nicely. I would recommend this to anyone looking for an alternative to photoshop/illustrator.

This tool allows us to quickly design and redesign templates and layouts for perspective deals.

Sketch review by Carlisle S.
Carlisle S.

"Sketch is the design tool I have been waiting for as a UX Designer!"

What do you like best?

Sketch is such an incredible tool -- it has replaced a multitude of other tools for me as a UX designer, which is something I appreciate. I use it for wireframing, prototyping, and full pixel perfect designs working on a product team in the software startup industry. The best thing about it is that is is simpler than Photoshop and more intuitive than most Adobe products.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I do not like about Sketch is how you save. The only realization a user gets for saving is from the small grey text in your title bar area that shows it as not "edited" anymore. Either autosave or a more prominent saving method would be helpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Add the Craft plugin!

I am working as the only UX designer on a product team, trying to redesign an entire UI. Sketch is flexible enough and intuitive enough to meet most of my needs as a designer.

Sketch review by Adrien B.
Adrien B.

"The best tool for designers"

What do you like best?

Sketch is very easy to use. Even if you do not know this job, you can start to learn with Sketch and improve yourself. For professional designers, this tool is very powerfull too. You can add plugins, create your own library of symbols and share this library with your collegues. So easy!

What do you dislike?

As mobile designer, I would prefer some native features to have iOS and Android symbols by default. But I suppose that this kind of tool is used for many purpose, and do not want to be more specific to a platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take some time to explore all features. Sketch is really powerful and some features are sometimes hidden. You have to read some tutorials and search a little bit more to take benefits of all the features of this wonderful app.

Sketch helped me to design apps in my company.

Sketch review by deepak r.
deepak r.

"All at one place"

What do you like best?

I can create low fidelity mockups as well as final designs all at one place. You can work on individual artboards yet see other boards all at one place. The best part of this app is you can directly export the artboard in various screen resolutions like 1x, 2x, 3x depending upon the rendering you want.

What do you dislike?

There are limited options in-terms of photo editing. Also the layers are not as efficient as photoshop. There are very limited number of shortcuts which really effects my work. I also dislike that this software is not available for windows.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think most people in the industry have started using sketch and I would highly recommend this to anyone who designs interactions for mobile or desktop. I believe Sketch is very cost effective and you should at-least check out the trial.

We not only design wireframes but also do visual designs in Sketch which was not possible with other sofrware we were using like 'Mockflow'. Hence we feel that this software is more cost effective as we do not need to buy license for multiple software in future.

Sketch review by Banke A.
Banke A.

"I rate Sketch better than Phostoshop."

What do you like best?

I have come to associate Sketch with a fast paced learning curve.I picked this up quickly in just a few days and this is the only design tool I was able to understand this fast..I love the Sketch user interface and how easy it is to navigate around it.

I like the ease with which I am able to create symbols on this program ,and also the ease with which I am able to create artboards.

What do you dislike?

This is a designers dream,at least it is for me personally.I love Sketch's auto-save feature and this has ensured I never loose any work done ,due to sudden loss of power.

Because Sketch can be picked up easily,we have expended less time and resources training new staffs to use this program.It has also been easy to share designs with partners without our partners necessarily having Sketch installed on their pc,since Sketch integrates with Invision ; we simply export our designs to Invision which is what most of our partners are familiar with.

Learning about Sketch?

* We monitor all Sketch reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.