4.6 out of 5
Do you work for Sketch?

Sketch Reviews & Product Details

What is Sketch?

Sketch is the definitive tool for digital design. From its powerful vector editor to its expansive plugin ecosystem, Sketch has everything you need to get started on your next project. Now with prototyping built-in, Sketch makes it easier than ever to take your designs from ideation through to realization, without ever leaving the app, and, with Shared Libraries on Sketch Cloud you can create, share and collaborate on designs with everyone on your team, no matter where they are. Over one million designers — from freelancers, to some of the largest companies in the world — use Sketch to transform their ideas into incredible products, every day.

Sketch Screenshots

Sketch review by Nati A.
Senior UX Architect and Team Lead
Financial Services
(10,001+ employees)

"The most awesome program for UI design"

What do you like best?

I love Sketch. Not being a former Adobe user, I learned this program from scratch. It took me really a few hours to be up and running. The possibilities are awesome for UI design. The best is the combination with different plugins specially Zeplin, assets export and usage of symbols. I'm in love with it. The pricing is totally fair. Leave Adobe and move to Sketch, don't think twice.

What do you dislike?

Choosing the layers and editing different things, still gets a little messy. But it has done a long way and the program keeps being updated, so I'm sure this will be solved too.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking to retouch pictures or print, then Adobe is still the way to go. However, if your work involves web and mobile, Sketch will cover all your needs faster, in a best performance and much cheaper price.

The export of assets for different apps and mobile sizes is very easy now. Also the usage of vectors allows us to design in 1x and export to all the relevant sizes.

Sketch review by Keilani M.
Product Designer

"The UXer essential"

What do you like best?

Where do I even start? As a ux design practioner, I use sketch everyday almost all day. It’s what I use to wireframe, design, and prototype. The tool keeps getting smarter. The shortcuts, plugin compatibility, symbols in a design system, and ability to link to invision are my favorite parts of sketch. I must not forget the conversion tool;uploading is made super easy. I move quickly in this program.

What do you dislike?

It doesn’t happen as much, but sketch used to have problems syncing to invision. The only issues I Ever have are when it crashes - so more technical issues. But when it comes to features and capabilities, Sketch is a leader for designing flows and screenshots something I would like to see is better prototyping abilities. Proto.io and principle are leading the way and I’d love for sketch to catch up in that area!

As a product designer, I’m constantly identifying pain points and opportunities with our customers. In order to make our products better, it takes going back to the drawing board, and that drawing board is sketch. I’ve realized I can get a proof of concept done quickly with sketch which excels the product process all the way through to delivery step efficiently.

Sketch review by Sandy C.
Visual Designer

"Sketch"

What do you like best?

I like being able to create multiple artboards in the sketch file and being able to move it around and create lots of buttons and features with ease. I also like being able to upload vector files on there. It makes it easy to create multiple wireframes and prototypes all in one sketch file. I like being able to create symbols as well. It really makes it easy to recopy it.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how it snaps to grid because it makes the spacing off. I get frustrated trying to mask things like how I can mask things in illustrator easily. I hate that I have a hard time detecting the layer underneath the current layer and how to bring the bottom layer to the top. When I first started, it was very hard to use because I would accidentally use shortcuts from illustrator thinking it was similar to it. When you have lots of layers it gets tricky especially when you mask because in order to remove the mask you have to click ignore underlying mask, but sometimes it doesn't quite work and it becomes frustrating and you will have to import the image again. Sometimes the symbols doesn't quite match with the spacing on another artboard or I did something wrong and when you create so much symbols, it gets really confusing. I hate that you have to click and enter to direct select while in illustrator you have a direct selection tool. I think they should fix these kinks and make it easier for you to work faster without having these issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Axure

Like I mentioned, sketch makes it easy for you to create multiple artboards at once and create lots of symbols. Makes it easier to export all the assets and prototype all at once so you have hand all the designs assets to the software developer.

Sketch review by Ross G.
COO

"The best soft for design ever"

What do you like best?

This soft is built for designers by designers. They really know what do we need to create great projects. I used to use Adobe Illustrator for designing websites, but one day my friend suggest me to try Sketch. I thought it would be hard to start with a totally new soft, but not. It is so simple, that people who don't understand what is web design is, can easily learn how to create simple elements in Sketch.

I tried to use Figma for a few days, but at the moment it is not so great as Sketch.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the soft runs out and doesn't save the layouts for last 1 or 2 minutes. It is a pity, but it happens. I can't say that I dislike something in Sketch. Everything is really perfect.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Explore its plugins and subscribe to the channels which teach to use its all functions.

I am a designer and a brand manager in the SAAS company named mssg.me. Every day I face a necessity to design a few new pages for the service or design a presentation. The Sketch is always opened on my Dock. I use it for at least 7 hours per day.

Sketch has a lot of integrations, which help me to do my work better and faster. I have installed some plugins, they help me to export my layouts to the developers or faster make repeated operations.

Sketch review by Lindsey G.
Web/UX Designer

"Easy to Use Application Design Tool"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to create symbols within Sketch to utilize throughout mockups. They're a great way to utilize components in multiple places and only have to update it once. I absolutely love the ease of creating artboards, and the workflow around different viewpoints and versions. Also, a very under-appreciated aspect of Sketch - is the autosave!

What do you dislike?

The ability to create a style guide for items in my artboard. Sketch should be able to have a designated set of styles that are implemented in the same way that symbols are in the program. Not having layering was weird to get used to, coming from Adobe software its handled a bit differently, but overall it's the same theory. Also, making layer masks within sketch requires you to retrain your brain about how masking works.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're coming from Adobe, this is an easy transition. If you're not sure what program to use for design and you're choosing Sketch, there is little onboarding within the platform itself, but a good community of users that have made plenty of tutorials for getting started and what to expect. Overall, I would say the integration within InVision is a huge prototyping bonus, and it really is a much better tool for application design than Illustrator or Photoshop.

We utilized Sketch for a website redesign project handed off to us by an outsourced designer. From there we worked within the program to create styles, additional assets, components, and ultimately pages for desktop and mobile designs.

Sketch review by Nick P.
Sr. Designer
(Myself Only)

"I love Sketch and it's improved my workflow soooooo much"

What do you like best?

It's a super well thought out program, specifically for web / interface design. It's got prototyping included, which is awesome. It makes it super easy to design multiple screensizes in one document, and very easy to export images. I really love the fact that it gives you the CSS for the type as well. It also makes it easy to repeat text styles and symbols, and edit every instance of them afterword. It's greatly improved my workflow.

What do you dislike?

I haven't really found anything that I don't like yet. There aren't many image editing options, but I expected that, so I just bring something in from Photoshop. I'm sure I'll find something nit-picky in the future, but for now, I'm loving it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great product. It's well thought out, and made specifically for web/interface design.

As I mentioned, it's greatly improved my workflow. I can have all of the pages of a site, and the different screen sizes, in one document, and then if I need to change a header, or symbol, I can edit it in one place, and it effects all of the pages. In the past I'd have to open up multiple different files and make the same changes multiple times.

Sketch review by Helio C.
Senior Product Designer

"Many tools are emerging, but only Sketch does the right thing"

What do you like best?

The simplicity, integration . with other apps, and mainly the plugins that give a certain customisation for each type of user.

Symbols are one of the best things on Sketch and helps to create a really good Design System by applying Atomic Design concept.

Layout and Grid settings are great for creating a high standard design..

What do you dislike?

Sketch still misses the rich interactive elements. It's implemented a way to prototype between one screen and another, but not with one element of the screen or a prototype that allows a richer interactive for User Testing. Symbols are amazing, but hard to manage them when there are a lot of symbols.

There is a feature for respnsive design, but, it's quite basic and does not link to different breakpoints when one element of the screen might go to a different place according to users device resolution.

Recommendations to others considering the product

100% recommended for Visual Design rather than a rich prototype. It is also the easiest tool, in my opinion, to learn how to design for mobile products.

- Time to market | Help to create really fast a prototype.

- Learning Curve | Even non-designers learned really fast Sketch.

- Sharing | As it integrates with InVision, it easy to share with a customer.

- When integrated with Abstract, solves the problem of two or more Designers working on in the same project.

Sketch review by Chris A.
Head of UX

"The best app for for digital product design"

What do you like best?

Sketch has exactly what you need in order to produce high-fidelity, vector-based designs for digital products. There is a healthy ecosystem of plugins that allow you to extend it's functionality even further. With native prototyping functionality, you're able to quickly test out and get feedback on ideas before they ship to the customer.

What do you dislike?

The newest update to the Sketch UI has made some basic actions hard to find.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd give the Sketch trial a chance. Find some basic mobile UI screens and build them out using a variety of tools until you feel confident that Sketch is the right solution.

I've used Sketch for over 3 years and have found the speed of ideation to be the best benefit to our team. We're NOT doing photo manipulation in the app (and it's not built for it).

Sketch review by Doug W.
Co-Founder

"My favorite digital design tool!"

What do you like best?

The best part about Sketch is that you can create mockups and art boards in a couple of minutes. It really allows me to make iterations on my designs quickly and easily. Another great feature is the ability to wireframe app demos and display them to a device.

What do you dislike?

Although it has tons of great features it does lack a lot of add on apps available with Adobe products. The only real flaw for me is that it is strictly a digital design tool, I wish I was able to craft T-Shirt or print designs in Sketch.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Best for small teams looking for a great way to create designs.

It has made creating projects much faster and easier. The number of useful shortcuts it has are on par with most design products.

Sketch review by Nishant S.
Software Engineer/Founding Team Member

"Simply awesome!"

What do you like best?

The ease at which everything is accessible and just works out of the box is something none of the other design apps have. Sketch stands out when it comes to doing design in terms of UI. One more thing that I liked the support for various plugins, because if there was something that Sketch couldn't do, there would always be a plugin available that could do the same. It is a powerhouse when it comes to managing assets since they brought in the symbols support, which makes life so much easier to handle a group of design elements.

What do you dislike?

The limited support for export options and the subscription model they switched to for using the product, because of which I switched to Adobe XD recently. One more thing that stood out as a problem was that the product for me cannot handle when the file size increases and it typically freezes for me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is really the defacto in the industry and one of the easiest to work with. I would recommend this to people who prefer the subscription model if this product.

I typically freelance and have designed various design prototypes for startups and companies alike. The ability to iterate quickly as the demands changes have been really helpful for me while designing those prototypes. The clients tend to make a lot of changes in the design and being able to react to those with a version they like is of huge importance to me.

Sketch review by Oscar D.

"Best app for digital design, specially for mobile apps"

What do you like best?

- Clean and intuitive design

- Very easy to export to all image file vector formats I use daily (pdf, svg)

- A lot of very useful plug-ins (extensions)

- Its bundled with templates for mobile and web designs

- Can be connected to Invision (invisionapp.com) for fast prototyping

- Lightweight and optimized compared to other apps like Adobe Illustrator

- Quick preview on devices (iOS & Android)

What do you dislike?

- Currently only available on Mac

- Missing included features for doing animations for mobile apps (as with Lottie)

- Doesn't have a dark (night) mode

- Too little options for image editing (filters)

Recommendations to others considering the product

In my opinion it's currently the best app for designing mobile apps. There are other new competitors as Invision Studio or Adobe XD trying to recover customers but so far I still found Sketch the most complete and professional solution for this.

I use it mainly for designing and prototyping mobile apps (iOS and Android)

Sketch review by Fernanda N O.
Graphic Designer
Higher Education

"Amazing Software for UI and UX"

What do you like best?

Sketch is a very easy and intuitive software to use and helps users create several interfaces in a few minutes. Users can work on multiple artboards at the same time and have the desktop, tablet and mobile versions of the layout in the same file, which can be very practical if there is a need to change some details on the design of the interfaces.

What do you dislike?

The software gets a lot of updates in short periods of time, which is a bit annoying since you get that same notification a lot of times when you open Sketch. Apart from that, there is nothing bad about the software itself or in need of improvement that I can think about now.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are new to UI and UX, Sketch is a very easy software to learn and help you get to a professional level. Sketch has several features, as the mirroring interfaces to a mobile device or the export settings to save SVG icons or transparent PNG images without the necessity of using another software. Also, there are several interface templates for users to create wireframes and design mockups in a fast pace and help users be more accurate and fast at their work.

It helps create different versions of the interfaces very quickly, so you can test the best design and usability. Also, it can export icons and images in several formats, such as SVG, PNG, and JPEG.

Sketch review by Miguel P.
Director of Products

"Excellent design application for MacOS"

What do you like best?

It is the design tool that many were waiting for. It is really easy to use and efficient.

If you are a good designer you will make great use of this tool.

It is custom made to be the best design tool for making mobile and web applications. I have seen some people use it to create awesome vector art.

There are a lot of available plugins to extend its functionality.

What do you dislike?

There are some features that would make web design easier, and the team is adding them, but the speed of their additions is not good enough. Still, they are working very hard and adding changes almost every month.

The lack of velocity on fixing and adding new features is compensated by the awesome community that builds great plugins.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can not go wrong if you choose this software.

Designers love this tool, they communicate and make awesome work with it. The developers also like it because it allows them to export the things they need for their development (SVG, jpegs, pngs, etc).

Sketch review by Taly M.
Senior UI & UX Designer
Design

"I'm truly loving Sketch"

What do you like best?

The thing I love about Sketch is how fast it is, I used to take minutes to save a large document using Photoshop but with Sketch it usually takes a few seconds. Second thing I love about sketch is the Symbols. it makes my life much easier when I am having to deal with many different screens that has same/similar items. Another thing I really like about Sketch is how it works pretty well with proto.io and Zeplin.

What do you dislike?

It is hard to even think of something bad about sketch, since I started using it it only took me a few days to start getting the understanding of how it works. The only thing I can think of that I used to be able to quickly do on photoshop is quick photo editing. If I had to say another thing it would be the lack of templates and resources that can be found when working with sketch, but I've noticed in the past year that a lot has been added to the libraries.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are familiar with Photoshop you will quickly understand how Sketch works. After using and loving photoshop for over 15 years I made the switch and I am very happy about it.

The business solutions we use Sketch for is User Experience Design. There is a lot of benefits including how it connects with products such as Zeplin which makes it easier to share assets with developers and other departments.

Sketch review by Lauren G.
CEO

"The new industry standard for UI design, design systems, and prototyping"

What do you like best?

This is tailor-made for designers who screen-based interfaces. It is easy to use, has a whole marketplace and community of plugins that add superpowers to the base interface. It is incredibly affordable and the team is constantly improving the application from version-to-version.

What do you dislike?

It can become a bit slow and buggy and said awesome plugins can cause some headaches when exporting to other services via plugins (plugin conflict). I wish it had better font and typography settings as well as color overrides for symbols and text styles.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is a big community of sketch users on YouTube and elsewhere to teach you all you need to know. Once you understand the basics of the program, it is incredibly easy to quickly create designs. Shortcuts are your friends!

Building design assets for client and internal projects.

Sketch review by Caleb H.
VP of Product

"Design for digital"

What do you like best?

Sketch is design software rethought through the lens of creating digital products, and seems especially relevant to modern frameworks like React. What I mean is that in the same way that you build components once and use them everywhere, Sketch allows you to design that way. You can create components (they call them symbols, similar to Illustrator) and then use them all over the place. When you drop a symbol into a design, you can use overrides to swap out text or nested symbols. The result is that you start thinking about your design in a way that helps inform development.

What do you dislike?

It took me a while to get the hang of how to get the most out of it. For example, how to properly create nested symbols in a way that makes the end component super reusable, or how to name symbols in a way that folds them into sets.

When I pair Sketch with UXPin, I can easily create and update prototypes and interactive mockups for app development. There's a plugin that pushes directly from Sketch into UXPin, so I can create a prototype and then update it with a button click (not even losing my interactions in UXPin). Brilliant.

Sketch review by Cristina Marie C.
Senior Web Designer and Developer
Higher Education

"Sketch - an OCD designer's best friend!"

What do you like best?

As someone who likes both design and code, Sketch is the easiest way for me to be pixel perfect without having to actually develop. In using other programs, it's always been "close but not quite" and it had been easier to just half-build already before handing it over to the programmers.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the amount of prompts there are to update. It would be easiest if there was a way to just allow automatic downloads instead. I also feel the preset artboards for device widths aren't as up to date. I also don't like that you can't sync it to the cloud for versioning

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's always worth to try new programs to compare and contrast the same workflows and processes you have so that way you either find new ways to improve or you reaffirm how effective your current product is.

The problems we're solving is being able to create clean and quick designs that can be used for rapid prototyping. We're also able to have the designers on the team use the same software so that we can easily collaborate and switch between projects when necessary

Sketch review by Irvin D.
Digital Marketing Specialist

"Absolutely love this software!"

What do you like best?

My favorite thing about this software is almost everything! No joke. I like that is is build for web/mobile/modern graphic designers. Not only that but also enjoy that's very intuitive to use and it's built natively for mac so it works super smooth and fast.

What do you dislike?

I know this software is not made from print but there comes times when you need to design something that will be used for print such as stickers, business cards, etc. and I just wish I could use this software to do that but unfortunately, it doesn't support CYMK color.

I'm using this software to design anything from web design, mobile applications, infographics, business cards, etc. etc. and the best part is that it's super easy to use.

Sketch review by Eric S.

"Pretty great."

What do you like best?

So I used to use Photoshop and Illustrator CC exclusively, and even when it came to web design, I primarily liked to stick to these products to get a visual feel and hire a developer to create the actual site for me.

Sketch actually made this process really simple for me- I don't have to worry about making dummy content, its plugins really help you create what you need and lets you expedite the process.

What do you dislike?

One thing I don't really like about the software is that the hotkeys are different from Adobe products. I understand it's not Adobe, but I wished hotkeys were universal.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just get it, it'll make everything easier in terms of UI design. If you're doing more print work, you don't really need to venture into it as much.

I'm currently doing all wireframing with Sketch now. I create UI designs exclusively on Sketch and stick with Photoshop and Illustrator for more print related work.

Sketch review by Joseph I.
UX Designer

"Great program for a specific use"

What do you like best?

The infinite artboard is the primary reason I use Sketch. There are a lot of programs which will not allow the user to make the artboard the size they want but this is one of Sketch's strongest features.

Premade device sizes is a lifesaver when trying to create a quick mockup of something.

All of the plugins is really a primary reason to use Sketch. While some of the things should already be built into Sketch, the plugins make life a lot easier.

What do you dislike?

Not having HSB when creating a swatch color. This is my go-to way of editing a color but now I have to go into another program and get the hex value of a color and put it into Sketch. Going along with not having HSB, not having a dedicated swatches panel makes using the program and finding a color a lot more difficult.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend this to another person if they are using this product for very specific things.

I am trying to create design deliverable using Sketch. Currently, I use this program to create user flows.

Sketch review by Paul W.
Vice President of Product

"I Was Debating Re-learning Illustrator or Trying Sketch"

What do you like best?

About a decade ago (I'm old) I used Illustrator to do some basic design work for sales materials and UI mock-ups. Recently I decided to get back to editing icons, UI components, etc. and before I took the Adobe plunge I tried the Sketch free trial. It's amazingly easy to learn. Specifically the pen tool and layers features have been reworked to be more intuitive. Also it's pretty affordable and doesn't have a complex license system like Adobe.

What do you dislike?

I think they are improving their integrations with products like Invision to create clickable prototypes but the lack of a native solution (like Adobe XD) slows down the process of building prototypes. I still use Adobe XD for quick mocks that just need boxes and text with basic interactions. I head to Sketch when I need high fidelity or more complex mocks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Super easy to demo, worth trying.

By being easier to learn it allows more collaboration outside of design. For example product and marketing can make edits, capture basic concepts and work independently of design.

Sketch review by Bryan S.
Head of Design
Internet

"My favorite UI Design Tool"

What do you like best?

I love Sketch because it was designed with designers in mind. The application is perfectly crafted for User Interface design unlike traditional tools such as Photoshop. Nested layers and the ability to create vector graphics make this an ideal tool to do anything from creating initial wireframes to designing a basic logo all the way to designing an entire application. The new library feature makes it great for developing a shareable design system.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike is that it is still in its nascency and has a lot more potential features that could be added. Currently, most of these features are being supplemented by plugins, which is a good solution for now.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're new to Sketch check out their amazing docs page https://sketchapp.com/docs/ or look up tutorials online. Sketch also has a great Slack community to get support and help with questions.

Designing enterprise-grade software user interfaces including flow diagrams, wireframes, mobile & web application interfaces.

Sketch review by Haissar P.
Director creativo

"A versatile UI design tool"

What do you like best?

Within a matter of 2 hours I can have custom presets made and being used in a wireframe. Additionally, this isn't like photoshop, you can export any vector based assets as svgs right on the spot, It's helpful to periodically browse the Sketch updates for new features, bug fixes, and plugins. This software is geared toward designing for screens and prototyping, and doesn't overwhelm you with loads of specialized features for other purposes.

What do you dislike?

Each time I begin a project, I have to start my symbol library from scratch, The process of finding and installing plugins for Sketch is pretty convoluted. While symbols is an awesome and necessary feature, it's painfully disorganized, also inability to save color palettes ans style library.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It makes the job easy for the designer and easy for the front end developers, Sketch is an excellent choice for designers who want software that evolves with current practices and standards.

allows to easily create and communicate web and mobile, It's easy to learn and quick to use. It will save you time and money

Sketch review by Salvador V.
(Myself Only)

"Best iOS Integration for Mock Ups"

What do you like best?

Sketch and the accompanying iOS app is a great tool for laying out the user interface for any app. As you edit on the computer, the iPhone running the app will update the changes that you made live. As opposed to Photoshop, Sketch is intuitive and has become a strong industry standard in app development. The menus look modern making it easy to add figures, shapes or even save different formats. The zoom tool is incredibly useful when trying to get pixel-perfect graphics. At 800%, alignment is a breeze.

What do you dislike?

Sketch like all software requires updates. After a year I believe, you are no longer allowed free updates and in order to do so you have to pay for another year's worth of updates.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the included iOS app to design your app. Dramatically better than if you spend the entire time on a desktop trying to design for mobile.

Sketch is a great place to start when building any app. Xcode may actually build the app but Sketch lays out what the user will actually see. Spending a good amount of time in Sketch before coding will save a lot of time in coding since you know exactly what elements and in what proportions they should display on devices. The templates included are incredibly useful in making app icons and submitting all necessary files to the App Store.

Sketch review by Emily M.
Senior Product Designer
Internet

"Web & Mobile Layouts Made Simple"

What do you like best?

Sketch makes designing web and mobile layouts simple. It's got a great set of tools for creating pixel-perfect designs, turning them into clickable prototypes, and even testing them on your phone with Sketch Preview. I love working in this tool every day.

What do you dislike?

Sketch, like any app, does have a few minor flaws. I don't particularly like how the program handles color profiles, for example. The frequent updates can be a bit annoying, too.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I really think Sketch is heading in the right direction. It seems to get better with every single iteration. If you need a tool for creating layout designs, this is the right choice!

My team and I use Sketch to create and test layout designs. Sketch makes this easy and saves us considerable time over Photoshop or other design tools because it's made for this one purpose.

Sketch review by Ling Z.
Product Designer

"Designer review for Sketch"

What do you like best?

Sketch is very easy and straightforward to use for user interface design. I like its clean layout and rich functionalities

What do you dislike?

sometimes it's a little buggy, small things like exporting assets to svg would ruin my design, lines can't align to each other.etc

Recommendations to others considering the product

Sketch is by far the best software for Mac users to create UX/UI related stuff, but there are more online design tools coming out like Figma. We will see who wins the market in the next few years

I use sketch to create wireframes, med-fi, and hi-fi prototypes for my company's product. Sketch is really easy to use and I can use different plugins to export my design and share with my team members.

Sketch review by Susan R.
Lead Instructor: User Experience Design Immersive (Contract)
Education Management

"Industry standard -- but doesn't match CC"

What do you like best?

Very simple to get started.Easy tutorials and onboarding is really quite good. Lots of templates, which makes learning and using really easy. The templates are probably the best thing in Sketch.

Perfect for the beginner through intermediate UX designer. My students pick it up very quickly. There're lots of plugins to make annotating and prototyping really easy. And more are being created every day. Nice way to output assets.

Sketch is adding features all the time, so bound to improve. They're giving Adobe a run for their money. Now if they'd just make UI design easier, then I think we'd all take the leap permanently.

What do you dislike?

Not nearly as flexible and feature-rich as any Creative Cloud applications (Illustrator, Photoshop). Senior-level product designers are more likely to be experts with CC than with Sketch, and find some features non-intuitive (like layers and groupings). Also, no go for UI design, so those wires have to be pulled into CC anyway--which is a more onerous workflow--why not just start in CC?

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a must-know for product designers. That being said, if you're already proficient at CC, then this is a simple tool to add to your list. Go for it.

I use it for creating wireframes. I teach it to beginning UX students. It's really easy onboarding, it's the application that all beginner UX jobs require. Students learn it very rapidly. Good for simple wireframing and outputting assets.

Sketch review by Mackenzie R.
Graphic Designer

"Sketch for Design"

What do you like best?

It's easy to download, costs very little, and anybody can learn the program without having a background in design software. Compared to Photoshop it's more agile and easier to flow between designers without having link new smart objects or save old versions. The tools are powerful for prototyping and designing interface.

What do you dislike?

Compared to Photoshop though, it does lack the photo editing qualities that you need when putting together a full ad. So that makes it difficult when working on multiple facets of a project.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Have it on hand, it takes very little to learn and master the software.

I feel like more people and companies are starting to use Sketch and so by having both PS and Sketch on hand to use we are able to keep up with clients who prefer to use one over another. It's easier for others to go in an edit and therefore makes the whole design/copy editing process quicker and easier.

Sketch review by Arielle M.
Visual Designer

"Efficient UI Tool"

What do you like best?

Sketch is an amazing tool when working with UI kits for product design. I use Sketch at work to design for websites and apps, and its super easy to create elements and edit them across the full project by editing a single symbol. My favorite collaboration is with Invision via Craft Sync; I love being able to see my designs on my devices as I revise. Craft also has useful tools on its own, including duplication, quick image placement from libraries, and more!

What do you dislike?

Sketch is only lacking some photo editing skills that I can't go without as a product designer. If you want to create dynamic prototypes with angled phones and different effects, Photoshop is still the answer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're considering Sketch, the learning curve is very slight. The quick controls are different, but make sense and Craft Sync–among needing other plugins for efficientcy–is odd at first. But after a couple of days/weeks it is a huge improvement if you're transitioning from designing products in Adobe Illustrator.

I create all of my designs with Sketch for my business needs. Our whole design team has transitioned to Sketch and it has been a great exercise in unifying all of our product styles and syncing the team's designs.

Sketch review by Megan C.
Freelance Designer
Design

"Sketch is a versatile UI design tool "

What do you like best?

I use Sketch daily for creating mobile & web UIs. I love the export feature, particularly when mocking interactions in Origami Studio, because it can exports as layers or flat .jpegs. There are a variety of useful preset templates. I also really love the symbol tool for commonly used designs such as buttons, headers, etc., because it allows you to simply drop in the symbol, and you can still make one-off design changes to it as necessary, saving significant time when creating high fidelity mocks in a UI that may have several very similar screens or elements.

What do you dislike?

The only thing that I don't like about Sketch is that it isn't a one-stop shop. I'd love if I could create a functional prototype from within Sketch itself, instead of needing to export to other tools like InVision, Origami, or Adobe XD to create interactive prototypes.

I design mobile and web applications.

Sketch review by Joel H.
Art Director

"The new standard for UI design"

What do you like best?

Sketch has been my go-to user interface tool for the last 4 years for so many reasons. It's fast and lightweight, it's intuitive, it had artboards before Photoshop caught up, it has the best asset export tools, its new auto layout tools are incredibly powerful, symbols are the best, and the endless possibilities of 3rd party plugins make it the only real option for designing apps and websites.

What do you dislike?

• I still prefer to create vector artwork (icons, etc) in Illustrator. The drawing and path editing tools are a little clunky.

• Pixel fitting is great, but resizing pasted-in vector artwork can really mangle things if you don't turn it off. And the rest of your work gets very messy if you forget to turn pixel fitting back on.

• I do sometimes find myself wishing the image editing capabilities where better, even though I know this is not what Sketch was built for, and this is precisely the reason I started using it in the first place.

• Collaboration across multiple disciplines and offices with shared libraries

• Better integration of UX and design teams.

• Greater speed and efficiency

Sketch review by Gustavo G.
Software Engineer

"New standard for web and apps UI/UX design"

What do you like best?

What I like most is for sure the simplicity. Imagine if they removed everything you don't use in photoshop and added the remaining features in a cleaner UI. And even better, it costs a lot less than Adobe programs (mid/long term). But don't get me wrong, being simple doesn't mean it isn't powerful - it has everything you need to general layout and vector drawing. Another thing that helps my development team a lot is the fact that it is very easy to share multiple resolutions assets (mobile ui designer will know what I'm talking about - 1x, 2x, 3x, XXHDP, etc)

What do you dislike?

First and foremost it is only for Mac. Windows users will have to settle with other software like Photoshop or Experience Design. It is also known that this products is still very buggy, but the good part is that you get fix updates quite often. Photo editing is still weak, you will have to rely on other software too.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you really depend on other Adobe software, you should consider sticking with Photoshop and Adobe Experience Design.

Create UI and UX designs that will be later developed by our development team. Doing this on Sketch has been definitely improving not only the style of our designs, but shortening the communication gap between our design and development team. We are now more able to contribute, distribute and also has quicken a lot our design iterations.

Sketch review by Taylor B.
Senior User Interface Designer
(10,001+ employees)

"Sketch is Really Almost Perfect"

What do you like best?

I use Sketch for most of my interface design work. It's a great tool for designing sleek, responsive applications. I love the options for creating symbols, which are almost like a programmatic approach to creating reusable design elements. It makes designing interfaces that stay in sync easy.

What do you dislike?

Sketch is almost perfect. I say almost because there are bugs introduced about every other week since they update the app so frequently. Most of them are pretty minor, so this is a smaller issue than it sounds like, though.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Sketch is extremely helpful for teams who need to move quickly and build designs and prototypes. You should check it out.

I use Sketch to create designs for our iOS and Android apps. The program has helped my team and I streamline and speed up our design process. We love it.

Sketch review by Elizabeth R.
Lead UX Designer

"The only UX / UI tool you should use"

What do you like best?

Sketch took what Adobe did with Photoshop and Illustrator and married them into something that is user friendly and constantly evolving. Great for mocking up user interfaces. With the new implementation of shared libraries, it's simple to keep all of your assets up to date. This type of feature was requested by users and was incorporated after some testing. This type of thing happens all the time as Sketch constantly pushes new versions of their app.

What do you dislike?

If you have the most up-to-date version of Sketch and share a file with someone that doesn't have that version, there is no way to down-save.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make use of the plug-ins that connect with your Sketch. My favorites are Craft, InVision, and the ability to import a custom icon font library such as Material. You can even download templates online to learn so that you don't need to start from scratch on your designs. There are also plenty of tutorials online that teach you how to fully utilize the great features that Sketch has to offer.

As a user experience designer, I am able to confidently create mock-ups for everything within Sketch. I'm able to sync with my InVision account to easily share interactive prototypes with my teams. On top of that, Sketch incorporates a new feature called "Inspect" that makes it easy to give access to my developers.

Sketch review by Samuel S.
Senior Visual and User Experience Designer

"The new standard"

What do you like best?

I learned to be a designer using Adobe products. And I never had any issues, never wished I could do something faster or more efficient. And then my company turned to Sketch. Honestly I dread opening Illustrator now. First, Sketch is designed as a native application for the Mac OS so it runs smoother, feels lighter, and integrates with the overall experience of my computer so much better. Second, it's ridiculously easy to pick up and start using. It's an insanely powerful, yet frictionless tool, providing me contextual controls with ease and handling very large files like they're nothing. Adobe products just can't do what Sketch does when it comes to symbols and plugins.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I can't use Sketch for is in depth vector creation. I have to turn to Illustrator 100% of the time if I'm making anything more complicated than basic shapes. And type handling isn't as great either, specifically type manipulation. However, Sketch wasn't designed to handle these kinds of problems, and I really don't have a problem with having 2 different programs for those 2 different use cases.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get Sketch and don't even look back. The new implementation of a global symbols library is fire. Your team will function so smoothly with it.

I use sketch for any UX, UI, and even basic graphic design. The biggest benefit I've realized is pixel perfection. Getting to that in Illustrator takes years of practice and probably bald spots. Seriously I didn't even really understand what pixel perfect meant until I used Sketch.

Sketch review by User

"Fast & simple Ui design"

What do you like best?

The interface is clear enough for a first times user or someone migrating from other tools to easily get accustomed with the tool. Shared libraries is an awesome feature to share component design across multiple files. Symbols & their overides are very powerful too. Very lightweight on the system and sketch generated files can be opened on multiple other applications.

What do you dislike?

The prototyping tool inside sketch is still very crude and simple stuff like using another artboard as an overlay (popup for example) is missing. To simulate this sort of scenario you need to duplicate X artboards and is starts to get a bit messy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't be afraid to try it. Is very easy to use, lean, fast and the industry standard for UI Design

Its cheap compared to other tools - more or less 100€ for the first license with free upgrades (can remember if its for 1 or 2 years) - after that it still works but no upgrades. Renewal is around 65% of the original price. No subscription model and that is a very good thing.

Sketch review by Coco L.
Lead Design

"Surprisingly really like using Sketch!"

What do you like best?

I like the export function. At times when I want to export a logo or image (or multiple images) in different sizes/formats, it's so easy to use Sketch, whereas I find it much harder to export (or it takes more steps) to export in Illustrator or Photoshop. I think Sketch is really optimized for web design or UI design. Also, the file size is really light; I can have 30 screens and only 50MB or so in size, which was surprising considering how big the files get for Photoshop or Illustrator.

What do you dislike?

I still find it easier to edit images or draw vector shapes in Photoshop/Illustrator, then inserting them to Sketch as opposed to creating them in Sketch. The pen tool in Sketch is not very intuitive. So I don't like how I have to switch softwares for something small. I'd also prefer if Sketch had a better "style sheet"; for example if I want to build a brand color, and use that color across all my design/artboards, and later decide to change it, I can't (or it is rather tedious), whereas Adobe softwares has that capability.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend using Sketch for web design or product design. In the beginning I thought Adobe Illustrator would do just a great job and didn't know why I would use Sketch, but once I started using it I realized it achieves the purpose of interface design better (whereas Illustrator is amazing for illustration purposes less so for web design). It's also very helpful to use the InVision plugin along with it.

Web/product design. I use Sketch to design web landing pages as well as different screens for a web app or mobile app. And it's been very convenient.

Sketch review by Vasil E.
CEO

"Great experience"

What do you like best?

I like the symbols and all the third-party apps that you can add to sketch. The sketch api allows developers to make all sort of cool features. And even if sketch is missing something a third-party developer could show and make it. Like that one that I just started using last week for version controll. It's a game changer if you create designs in collaboration with other designers. I like the simplicity of Sketch and how it allows me to focus on the design. I like the style copy - great feature.

What do you dislike?

Performance is not that great specially when you zoom in/out. Also a nice feature would be to be able to double click to enter a group. Also for icon design, it could be better. And I am missing a vector brush and just the ability to sketch things.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out and see if it's for you!

UI design, sketch is best at that and that's what I am using it for. I guess good design is very important part of any business, so any tool that can help you with that is a great addition!

Sketch review by Mike L.
Associate Digital Design Director
(10,001+ employees)

"The best Ui software I've seen in my 11 years of professional experience"

What do you like best?

There is no other ui design software out there that comes close to Sketch's effectiveness. The ability to create styles and symbols for elements that are reused over and over is fantastic. The ui and interactions are buttery smooth. Open source filters are also a fantastic feature that I'll use from time to time. I love the ability to have as many artboards that I need, and be able to upload them to Zeplin for my developers to consume.

What do you dislike?

If a member on my team upgrades to the latest version before anyone else, nobody is able to open his/her file until they upgrade to the latest version as well. The lack of backwards compatibility can be a pain. Also, when there is an update that is unstable, I dislike that it cripples my workflow. I wish there was a way to revert to an older version without having to go into the mac time machine.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give Sketch a shot. It is a little awkward at first. It took me about 2 1/2 weeks to feel productive. But, It is worth it. There are a lot of great free resources (you tube videos and tutorials) to help you get started.

I use sketch to help create a design system, user flows and prototypes for our mobile apps. In utilizing sketch in this process, we have saved the company money and time by delivering designs that are pre-annotated with exact values to developers.

Sketch review by User

"industry standard for UI design now"

What do you like best?

Frequent feature updates , many plugins available for use to make life easier, things like Zeplin integration ! Also the learning curve isn't very steep. I can easily export my artboards for stakeholders if needed.

What do you dislike?

was not compatible with older versions of mac OS for the newest version, files created in new versions of sketch would look corrupted in slightly older version. Had to update my mac OS from 10.12 to 10.14 and this has resulted in laptop issues which are still unresolved (keyboard is unresponsive after logging into account).

Also, used to be able to purchase 2 year license but i think they just changed their pricing model again. This makes it slightly expensive if I were to use it personally and not apply as a student or group purchase.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try other programs like Figma, Adobe XD, Framer etc but I feel Sketch is still more commonly used in the industry at this stage.

Digital design for web application