Sketchbook

SketchBook drawing app and painting software helps digital artists and illustrators design with professional-grade perspective tools and an intuitive user interface.

Work for Sketchbook?

Learning about Sketchbook?

Sketchbook Reviews

Showing 83 Sketchbook reviews
Sketchbook review by <span>Ed H.</span>
Ed H.

Useful for conceptual work in a retail environment

What do you like best?

Sketchbook is the most intuitive drafting software application that I've used. I can use it to quickly render a conceptual idea for, for example, a new display fixture in our showroom and work out the design digitally in a way that's easy to modify and share. This is my starting point before a 3D model in Sketchup.

What do you dislike?

I actually don't have anything that I dislike about Sketchbook Pro. It is a fantastic drafting application. If there's anything Autodesk could do better for this program it would be some better (by better I mean visual/video) help resources describing some of the specific tools. But there are lots of 3rd party videos and tutorials that the user cna track down if they have time to do it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Sketchbook will not replace programs like Photoshop or SketchUp, but is rather an additional tool that makes workflows including these other programs more efficient.

I use Sketchbook to create drafts of display fixtures in a flooring showroom environment when we're looking to set up a new area or design. I use it for a variety of other sketching purposes rather than paper and pencil since it enables me to skip the extra steps of multiple sketches and then scanning and organizing images.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Sketchbook
Sketchbook review by <span>Brooke R.</span>
Brooke R.

It's like Photoshop but for drawing!

What do you like best?

I love the different texture brushes that make it easier for me to add texture and effects to my art in an instant rather than drawing it all out on my own. It has all the things I would use on Photoshop for my art work, but with so much more. The copic color option, is amazing! I use copics for my traditional drawings and now I can enhance my already colored drawings that I scan onto my computer with the same copic colors to make it into a digital piece of art.

What do you dislike?

I dislike very little about the app, but if I had to choose, there is sometimes a glitch where it forces me to pick a color on my drawing when I am in the middle of swiping some color onto the drawing. Other than that, I have no problems. This program is really just an amazing product that I am proud to be a subscriber to.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely try the free version out first! Try the premium trial, you won't regret it. If you are an aspiring artist, this is a must have program!

As being an artist for my second job, I am able to easily organize and actually do my commissions in a digital format very easily.

What Drawing solution do you use?

Sketchbook review by <span>Robert R.</span>
Robert R.

An Illustrator's companion

What do you like best?

The charismatic name (Yes, the name!) Sketchbook Pro, with its the clean, welcoming-to-art, no-nonsense interface with all the tools you need in the right places for instant access. All the drawing and painting tools with an intuitive learning curve. The very fast way of moving in and out of your artwork with handy shortcuts. The overall look and feel without copying others, that matches an illustrator's work environment whether digital or traditional. Its integration with tablets and phones with its own apps. I use it with my wacom tablet as this is, of course, the minimum necessary to harness its main drawing features such as pressure sensitivity and the lines you draw, but you can do a lot with a mouse too if you must. It is also great for black and white art, line art, comics, inking, the works!, which you can begin or finish your work in CorelDRAW/PhotoPaint, Krita or PhotoShop too, if you like.

What do you dislike?

The recent move in which you can no longer own the software, but only use it via "subscriptions" that must be renewed every year as Adobe and others are doing. I'm an "old timer" and like to own the things I use and not be bugged further. There should be an option for those who want to "work in the cloud" and those who do not, to purchase what they want and update when they want, with advantages for longtime users. That would be an honest and professional way of doing things, in my opinion, and that is why I have regretfully ceased using it fulltime, having declined from the offered subscription mode after a disappointing and bothersome experience to have it completed from my country (Brazil). It might be different for other users, of course.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it as an artist, though friendly, it is not intended for the curious to just dabble and solve some momentary or frivolous art need. Perhaps the subscription mode discourages those who would not use it seriously. However, If you're like me and happen to come accross the last legit standalone version, (I think it is 7.0.1 of 2015), purchase it, install and be happy!

I like to have it around as one of my professional tools of the trade. In this sense, I can illustrate whatever I want with it, though admittedly I have not explored everything that could be done, keeping mostly to my line of work, but I intend to learn more as I have more time to spare.

Sketchbook review by <span>Gabriel H.</span>
Gabriel H.

Friendly alternative to Photoshop

What do you like best?

- Brush presets

- Steady Sketch control

- Simple interface

- Symmetry sketching

- Opacity/ hardness/ size tool for brush

Very friendly to new users, and it can be used both by professionals and amateurs.

If you are a Photoshop user, there are big chances you will get used to this software very easy and also the compatibility between PS and Sketchbook is great.

What do you dislike?

May be will be useful some similar tools like levels/ hue saturation/ mask, but I think the main idea behind the software was to keep it as simple, so may be should not be overloaded with many tools, because their target is not to be a Photoshop competitor.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it to express your ideas. It has very good implementation also on Android and iOS, that's why i recommend it to be used on o portable device, as a designer or architect being an essential tool when you need to put some ideas on paper and you don't have to carry a lot of stuff with you, only a tablet will do the job.

I find quite useful sometimes Steady and Predictive stroke tools, as they can help you to generate a clean sketch.

Having the option to export as .PSD with all the layers created in the software , I think it's an amazing thing and one of the strongest advantages!

Deliver 2d sketches / renderings .

Fast tool to communicate quick sketching ideas on a portable device.

Sketchbook review by <span>Rocelin C.</span>
Rocelin C.

Portable illustrators

What do you like best?

The Android versions allow the artist or draftsman to draw drawings, sketches wherever he is. The variety of brushes, that the canvas is digital and that you can draw lines as you wish, is great. It keeps its color palette quite varied and has different options to add layers.

Las versiones para Android permite al artista o dibujante trazar dibujos, bosquejos en donde quiera que este. La variedad de pinceles, que el lienzo sea digital y que puedas trazar lineas como lo desees, es genial. Mantiene su paleta de colores bastante variada y tiene distintas opciones para añadir capas, ademas de tener versiones mobile y para ordenadores.

What do you dislike?

You can not add external images or drawings, you can not export the strokes to other design programs because they look pixelated.

No se pueden añadir imagenes o dibujos externos, no se pueden exportar los trazos a otros programas de diseño porque se ven pixelados.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A more extensive test version, in the mobile version, decrease the size of the icons and allow to add content and external images.

Una version de prueba mas amplia, en la version mobile disminuir el tamaño de los iconos y permitir añadir contenido e imagenes externos.

The versatility that I need when designing or making a free drawing, I have ample space for drawing.

La versatilidad que necesito al momento de diseñar o hacer un dibujo libre, cuento con amplio espacio para el dibujo.

Sketchbook review by User in Higher Education

Ideal Sketch App for Digital

What do you like best?

Used on Ipad and Mac, this software is very easy and pleasant to use for sketching. Multiple layers, easy to manipulate the canvas and great options of brushes make Sketchbook the software to go to sketch and render. Most used on the iPad for sketching, this version offers decent performance and high accuracy with Apple Pen. I mac, I prefer to render and painting in integration with Photoshop or Illustrator. Small size of the app and files is also another good value, specially when the project need multiple variation of the same sketch.

What do you dislike?

Could be more compatible with other Adobe products, such Photoshop and Illustrator. Rules options must be improve, very limited.

Recommendations to others considering the product

With so many options for digital sketching, Sketchbook is a safe and better option for its support and community. Adobe offers it in multiple platforms, such iPad and Mac that makes file's transfer very easy.

Quick sketch and ideation for design.

Learning about Sketchbook?

* We monitor all Sketchbook reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.