Skitch

(19 reviews)

Get your point across with fewer words using annotation, shapes and sketches, so that your ideas become reality faster.

Work for Skitch?

Learning about Skitch?

Skitch Reviews

Showing 19 Skitch reviews
Skitch review by Zach S.
Zach S.

"Simple, elegant, easy."

What do you like best?

My favorite part of Skitch is that there are just a few mark-up tools that are actually useful. Other systems either don't have any markup tools or entirely too many (ie. Snagit). I use each one of those tools and don't feel like I'm overwhelmed with other things I can do with the software. I just open it when I need it, mark up everything I need, and add that screenshot to a ticket that I'm working on.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that there isn't a delayed screenshot option like in snipping tool. I wish that this existed. I also don't like that the 'CTRL+S' option is mapped to 'save to evernote' instead of a regular save. I have to do the CTROL+SHIFT+S to do a regular save. I would expect these to be reverse, or at least have the option to disable evernote integration

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's simple, easy, and doesn't have too many options. Other options may be more suitable for your needs if you're really looking for more 'power user' options, but this gets the job done and it does what it does well.

I have to communicate with customers on a daily basis on how to do certain things within our software. Sometimes, no matter how descriptive you are in text, a picture goes a lot further. With Skitch in particular, the markups are clear and easy to read/are visible and are great for my older clients who need to understand the markups better than others.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Skitch
Skitch review by Colleen W.
Colleen W.

"Basically deprecated, but still the best"

What do you like best?

Skitch has (almost) all of the features I want in screenshot software without the clutter I don't. I can quickly add text, outlines & arrows, and resize & crop at will. With the paid option (connected to the first level of Evernote service), I can convert from PNG to PDF and vice versa. It's drag-and-drop, so I don't have to fuss with finding it in whatever folder, and it syncs to Evernote, so it doesn't bog down my desktop (or downloads, or whatevs) folder, and I still have a backup. (If I were really organized, I'd name & tag my Skitch files, but hey, there's a reason I like simple software.)

What do you dislike?

Living in fear that Evernote will pull this software entirely (it's clear they are barely supporting it). And the highlight feature is either horrid or I really don't know how to use it properly—highlighting is better in pretty much every other app I've tried, including MS baked-in. It would also be great if it had one mini-Photoshop-type feature, i.e. the ability to pull two images into one screenshot. But I get that this really is a tall order for a screen capture software whose main gift is its streamlined ease of use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You need to be willing to give this up at a moment's notice, as it's really not being supported. Its fortunes are tied to Evernote's, and while it's been around awhile, organizational software suffers from Hot Nightspot Syndrome—meaning, users are notoriously fickle, and proprietors are constantly coming up with enticing new things to try. Caveat user.

A huge part of my job is customer support, so I'm constantly screencapping and marking up how-tos for customers. Skitch is so lightweight, my workflow is almost effortless in capturing the needed info for clients, as well as suppliers and our teams.

What Wireframing solution do you use?

Skitch review by Liam P.
Liam P.

"This is a software in which you can make simple designs in a very easy way."

What do you like best?

What I like the most about this software is that it is free and very easy to use. All the tools that this software has are very useful and easy to use, like snip and capture. Also, it is very easy to manage the photo in just two steps: drag and drop.

I also love that it has a great variety of texts, forms and other animations, they are so beautiful and creative that it is very difficult to choose just one.

Another aspect that I like about Skitch is the integration of Evernote, well... practically you create the profile on Evernote.

What do you dislike?

There's nothing that I am disgusted with this software but rather it frustrates me and is that sometimes the option of copy and paste has problems. Another thing is that I want to be able to integrate other applications apart of Evernote, besides, it seems to me that Skitch is not an independent application, it depends on Evernote.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When registering in Skitch you have to register also in Evernote but if you do not want to register in Evernote you have to obtain an independent installer via CNET.

If your work is based on captures or if you like to take captures, I recommend that you start implementing this software in your projects NOW.

Thanks to this software we finish the projects more quickly because it gives us the facility to drag and drop the photos, as well as we can cut them in the same application, now our projects are done in record time. That is the best benefit we have obtained in the company: the saving of time, because time is worth gold for everyone, both for us workers and for customers.

Skitch review by DJ R.
DJ R.

"Features of this platform"

What do you like best?

I really liked how visually aesthetically appealing this platform was. An example is when making a point, whatever it is you are discussing, you can highlight it, bringing a visual connection to help drive your point. Also, this is a very fluid application, adding attachments to emails effortlessly.

What do you dislike?

As I am a cost-conscious individual, I look for pricing to factor in whether this is a good deal or bad deal. I think it is a little beyond the price point, which I dislike about this. Also with saving your items, it can't do it locally.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As I mentioned earlier, If your business has visual thinkers or a platform that you like an ease of use, then I would definitely recommend this application. It was very quick and easy to learn this application, even though I may be a tech-savvy individual, I could see someone who is not being able to use this effortlessly. Regarding the pricing, that is one of the things that prevented me from purchasing it, just based on the cost to use ratio.

those who are visual thinkers, I think this really solves those issues, as I am a visual thinker. Also, if a business uses Evernote, Skitch syncs effortlessly with it. When using skitch, you are able to make digital notes.

Skitch review by Blanca R.
Blanca R.

"Great tool to for all types of work"

What do you like best?

I like that you can add words to your photos or screenshots, you can circle important parts and you can also add other things like arrows , or graphics to make your statement more clear. I like that I can easily share my notes or screenshots as well.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that when you are a new user it is hard to navigate the program as it has many functions. If someone isn’t too tech saavy they will definitely have a more difficult time working with it. Also there have been times when the program closes on its own and I lose my work.

Notes are more vivid and also the important areas of a presentation stand out because skitch allows you to add graphics that will accentuate the important information. It makes it easy for me to screenshot a part of the presentation and add important information, then save ans share with my colleagues.

Skitch review by Tyler W.
Tyler W.

"A nice screenshot utility"

What do you like best?

This screenshot utility allows you to:

- Capture timed screenshots

- Add shapes, markups (w/pen), text, and flags

- Crop right within the app

- It has Evernote integration

- It's free

What do you dislike?

I wish that Skitch had:

- Integrations with other apps besides Evernote

Recommendations to others considering the product

Skitch is worth trying if you take an abundant amount of screenshots and/or need to annotate them.

Skitch is nice if you wish to make detailed documentation showing where to click, where to enter text, etc. If you're a blogger or a documentation maintainer, this app is worth a try - it may decrease the amount of time you use during your normal workflow.

Skitch review by Micha v.
Micha v.

"Great free snipping tool with simple drag and drop features"

What do you like best?

With this (free!) tool it is very easy to make a screen snip/capture and add nice annotations. The best is the drag and drop feature: no need to save first somewhere and import this file into the application. On Windows, we can just drag and drop!

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the copy to clipboard seems to conflict with some other apps. Also, the standalong app is no longer available vai Evernote (you can still download a copy via CNET :)

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you do not want to have an Evernote account, get a standalone installer via e.g. CNET

On Windows, we can just drag and drop the screen clipping (with or without annotations). This saves a lot of time

Skitch review by Kelly P.
Kelly P.

"Valuable Tool for Creating Instrucitonal Visuals"

What do you like best?

Skitch allows you to very easily manipulate screenshots, for example, to better highlight certain elements for intuitive instruction.

What do you dislike?

The features are a bit limited as compared to a full photo editing software. I'm not, for example, able to bring in additional images on top of the current image.

We're able to use Skitch to convey visual information internally and to customers. We often can better explain certain functionalities with screenshots versus words.

Skitch review by User in Broadcast Media
User in Broadcast Media

"Fast and easy, covers 90% of my annotation needs"

What do you like best?

Simple interface, easy to adjust annotations (size, color)

Pixelation annotation is incredibly useful for tech support/protecting sensitive data

What do you dislike?

Limited to one non-annotation layer (can't copy/paste multiple screenshots), limited text options

That being said, I can always use Photoshop when I need something in higher fidelity or more sophisticated annotation/multiple screenshots.

Quick, lofi information share for design and development

Fast information share for technical support

Skitch review by Anthony R.
Anthony R.

"Great for on the go annotations of the physical world "

What do you like best?

It's great for taking photos of real world projects (such as construction sites or architecture) and sending annotations to your team on the fly.

What do you dislike?

The drawing tools were a little basic and rudimentary at the time. But still highly customizable.

Keeping the lines of communication open and using the app to illustrate issues rather than having to find the words to describe things. Why not show than tell?

"So intuitive"

What do you like best?

Skitch is so intuitive. You can easily take screenshots and apply your markups without having to take the time to learn the tool. The fact that you can copy and paste the images easily is a huge plus

What do you dislike?

It is a little annoying that you can't edit more than one skitch at a time. However, your skitches are saved so you can easily go back to one you made previously

We are able to easily take pictures of bugs live in production to pass off to the development team or attach to tickets.

"Skitch is great"

What do you like best?

Simple to use and great for getting quick screen captures for tickets.

What do you dislike?

I wish moving around the added arrows was a little easier to maneuver. Also the CTRL+S saves to evernote rather than regular save. Other than that it's great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Simplest screen capture application there is!

A picture goes far when communicating with clients and this is the simplest way to show them things regarding the custom software we built for them.

Skitch review by Robert G.
Robert G.

"Great for annotations"

What do you like best?

Being able to annotate directly on a photo for advertising and marketing

What do you dislike?

Nothing so far I have enjoyed using the app in full

Advertising fliers, marketing social media and email

Skitch review by User in Design
User in Design

"Skitch makes marking up screenshots easy"

What do you like best?

Skitch is intuitive and easy to use to markup images. I use this often when describing elements of design to clients.

What do you dislike?

I havent quite figured out how it interfaces with evernote or how to easily go back and update markups that I have created. That is possibly just me not taking the time to investigate.

It allows me to easily markup designs and share them with clients.

Skitch review by User in Education Management
User in Education Management

"It is quick and simple"

What do you like best?

This application allows for quick screen capture and annotation. It is simple to use and straight forward.

What do you dislike?

You can not change the size of the text and you are asked if you want to delete a screenshot each time you take a new one which slows down performance time.

It helps with creating PowerPoints and presentations by using screenshots.

Skitch review by User

"Great tool for fast and easy image editting"

What do you like best?

In addition to the application being free, we also like the user interface and it's usability.

What do you dislike?

At times, this application was limiting on the customization features. We did have to move over to SnagIt for more functionality -- but again, this is a free vs. paid comparison.

Quick and easy screenshot and image sharing through email and online viewing.

Skitch review by User in E-Learning
User in E-Learning

"Great for marking up images"

What do you like best?

I use Skitch to mark up images before I send them to staff. It allows you to put arrows, text, circles, etc.

What do you dislike?

It is hard to save images once you are done. I generally drag the icon to my desktop to save.

Makes it easier to explain/communicate things to staff members in screenshots.

Skitch review by User

"Helpful screenshot tool "

What do you like best?

I liked the ease in which I was able to not just take screenshots, but mark up and drag / drop to other sources (email / Slack...).

What do you dislike?

Only supported on Mac, and no longer supported on PCs, which is unfortunate.

The tools allowed for more consistent screenshot capabilities across our organization for knowledgebase use.

"Easy and fun to do "

What do you like best?

I love that you can easily take a picture write on it and send it

What do you dislike?

It’s a little hard to find out how to take a screenshot

It’s a lot easier to take notes and send them

Learning about Skitch?

* We monitor all Skitch reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.