Slack

(13,701)

Slack brings all your communication together in one place. It’s real-time messaging, archiving and search for modern teams.

Work for Slack?

Showing 13,859 Slack reviews
Slack review by User in Design
User in Design
View Original

"Perfect for our small business."

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Slack
Slack review by Jasper F.
Jasper F.

"Slack is not for Slackers"

What do you like best?

I love how slack let's you stay professional with emojis. I love how you can communicate quickly and effectively with friends, co-workers, and colleagues. You can even upload files and pictures. It's a great tool that every company in the whole world should use. If every company used it, they would be happy and probably much more effective in their business goals.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how some co-workers don't like sending emojis all day long. I wish more people would use it everyday and send me messages. It can be distracting how often people ping you and can sidetrack you from other goals, but once you learn to implement it into your workflow it can become very rewarding and can lead to greater levels of productivity. The learning curve just takes a while. E

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get this great communication tool.

Slack provides the benefits of joy and a natural anti-depressant. It's helped me communicate. I like it better than email because it's always open and is much more fun. Slack has so many benefits. It's hard to even list them all here on this list. It really brings back the old school chat room and lets you successfully communicate with several people at once. The threads are a great way to take separate conversations aside from bigger conversations that relate to everyone. It's overall just a great tool. I hope you use it and get everyone you know to use it too!

What Internal Communications solution do you use?

Slack review by Ted D.
Ted D.

"Simply the best!"

What do you like best?

Honestly, where do I start. Slack has made communication fun again. There's a certain excitement around using this product that I haven't felt since the early days of AOL instant messenger. It's easy to use but has a ton of features. It's beautiful and customizable. It's really the most important tool we have for our team.

What do you dislike?

Sadly, the pricing model. With the free account your can only get so far and they are betting that by getting in with companies early with the free option, it will be hard for them to turn down the paid version once the company has reached a certain size. Don't get me wrong, this is a brilliant strategy but can make the pay or free decision difficult for teams that are on the fence.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As previously mentioned, just be ready to move to the paid version as your company grows/scales. It's not cheap but the additional features really are needed for non-start-ups.

Team communication. Moving away from only using email and phone calls to something a bit faster.

Slack review by Monica C.
Monica C.

"Slack Rocks"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to have different venues and resources to communicate with my team. It provides several different venues otherwise known as "channels" to communicate on different topics. We utilize these channels in tons of ways and they keep us really organized. I do also enjoy the several tons of add ons we can use within Slack. Some of them are helpful whereas some of them are really just silly and for fun. It is a professional way we can have fun, which is always a plus considering the company we are a part of.

What do you dislike?

The notifications can get lost sometimes with my staff, so I have to go around and contact them in other ways that aren't Slack. So some things get missed that are important. One personal issue that I have is that I can not post several pictures at once without creating a flood wall of images, when I only wanted to make an album of sorts. It can be really inconvenient when trying to share some new documents or images or information. But maybe that is just me!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it! Lots of options available and many add ons you can use.

We are communicating more clearly and have a defined space to “go” to address certain issues within the channels we have created. It provides us a more organized way to directly message each other versus using emails and getting lost in all of the threads.

Slack review by Alex R.
Alex R.

"Slack provides best features for team collaboration"

What do you like best?

Slack offers many outstanding features. Slacks probably offers one of the best interfaces for professional chat tools. It's easy to navigate through channels and chats while sharing documents and other essential information. The application provides exceptional user interfaces and is easy to use. It has an excellent design and you can easily call the team members when needed.

What do you dislike?

I have no discrimination for this game. It was easy to learn, posted easy and easy to navigate. I saw an advertisement on TV, but I think it's not as popular as it could be. You must use more jobs because they are very similar to social networks, but they can be used for professional communication between colleagues. It will also be a useful tool for communicating with others, working with documents, organizing meetings, etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely, I recommend using Slack for the team collaboration. It is free for small groups. So, you can give it a try for amazing communication features.

Slack helped us a lot to achieve our business goals very fast. With Slack, we were able to reduce and remove many SEO services, effectively interacting with sites and organizations by ignoring placements.

Slack review by Mustafa D.
Mustafa D.

"Team Collaboration"

What do you like best?

Slack is a good collaboration/messaging platform where you can effectively communicate with your team and external parties. There numerious benefits of slack

1- Keeping the history of communication. When a new member is added to the communication, s/he can go through the history of communication and get deeper insights on the subject

2-Channels. Creating channels and inviting right stakeholders and keeping the track of it effortlessly is really useful

3-Calls: You can make calls with the team members whereever the team is located without being charged by the GSM operator

What do you dislike?

I see the following opportunities

1- Calls are not logged.

2- you cant see the videos on the mobile application

Recommendations to others considering the product

We consider different products at the stage of subscription, Slack has the best UI. in 1 year, only 1 day we had downtime.

Team coordination is far efficient than it used to be. Email coordination generally requires more formal way of communication, but slack with its chat style interface, make the communication easier. The teams can send messages anytime without worrying formulating an email, which generally takes time.

Slack review by Joel Thomas B.
Joel Thomas B.

"A Very Good Chat Platform"

What do you like best?

The different # chats you can create and view, allowing you to split off teams and groups but keep important information centralized. Private messages seem easy to follow and the cross-platform use is streamlined and efficient.

What do you dislike?

It honestly seems unecessary in the contexts I have utilzied it (small teams, and educational settings). If you splinter off the conversations into too many sub-groups you end up with a lack of continuity,

Recommendations to others considering the product

I believe that slack can be a little intimidating to some users, including the time it takes to learn all the ins and outs, and the risk of missing information posted in different channels, but I find the flexibility and responsiveness to outweigh any downsides.

I have used Slack in educational settings and coordination within small groups of non-profit organizations. We use slack to coordinate scheduling, optional workshop development, rotations for technology, and to figure out what to get for lunch.

Slack review by Adriana R.
Adriana R.

"Great product if you‘re looking to collaborate with a team from different places"

What do you like best?

I like how there are so many various options on how to connect with your teammates. You can either talk to a person on your team individually or as a group. There is a section for threads, apps, and direct messages.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fact that you are not directly enlisted into the blog or website you‘re working on. It is a completely separate amenity.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can provide a video for your members that are going to be using Slack so they quickly know how it works. However, try to keep everything on one platform instead of going back and forth between Slack, e-mail, etc. This might confuse those using it on where to check for messages, etc. If you‘re going to switch your business team to Slack, have them connect it to an e-mail on their phone so they get the notification messages. For example, I used an e-mail where I didn‘t have an App for it on my phone, so I never knew when I got a message or a notification on Slack. If you have the space on your phone and you only are keeping track of one business--get the app! Makes it so much easier!

As a member of a team who are all in the U.S. (different parts), and I living in Europe at the moment, I have direct access to the conversation at all times, can stay on top of the topics, work at hand, and also see what everyone else is doing.

Slack review by Renu R.
Renu R.

"Slack for group discussions"

What do you like best?

Group Chats

Cool Emojis

Starred feature - Easy to keep track of important messages

Can create different channels for different topics and add people accordingly

Snooze feature to off notifications as per your convenience

Can send images and code snippet (Easy to understand)

You can edit the message and fix errors even after sending it.

Search functionality

Provide reaction to a particular message

Start a new thread for a particular message

What do you dislike?

Since mobile app is also available for Slack, so I feel that it disturbs people's work-life balance. Colleagues who work till late keep sending messages on personal chats or tag in a chat and expect a reply.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Slack is the best way of communication in offices or hackathons or even for community discussions. Slack is used almost everywhere and is very helpful.

I used Slack in my previous companies and still using it in my university. I really love slack because its very convenient way to have a group discussion and resolve things over chat only and keep everyone updated

Slack review by Jonathan P.
Jonathan P.

"Great IRC-like tool for team chat"

What do you like best?

- Sleek user interface makes it easy to navigate to what channel you want to be in

- You can easily switch to a different workspaces to collaborate with different groups

- Good support for sharing documents, code, and notifications from other apps

What do you dislike?

- The fundamental system of Slack encourages less-thought out messages and a barrage of noise

- Voice and video calling is not supported on their free plan unlike their competitor Discord

- Desktop experience is a little slow to load

Recommendations to others considering the product

Slack is a great overall tool for team communication, but it doesn't replace email. If you don't create strict rules for your team on using Slack and not overflowing channels with noise, it will be difficult to monitor what's important since you're sifting through a mix of messages and memes. The effectiveness of Slack on your team's productivity is dependent on the admins and how they decided to moderate the platform.

We use Slack to get notifications from a vast array of other platforms (Asana, Trello, forms, etc) to keep everything in one place. We also use it to communicate with each other as a team. Slack works best for quick updates where you're simply checking in and telling others what you're doing. It's a good way for us to also stay updated on what other departments are up to, and it's great to use the powerful search feature to find archived content.

Slack review by George D.
George D.

"Great for remote workers"

What do you like best?

I'm a freelancer. So, with Slack, I'm able to communicate with all of my clients via one platform. It allows us to have different channels for different projects, and as soon as we're done we can archive them -- but also look back at them if any questions come up. It really streamlines the communication process and helps keep both me and my clients more organized with what needs to be done.

What do you dislike?

A couple things, but nothing major. First, for some reason (for me at least) the notifications work differently between my workspaces. For some I get notified about every change/message (which I like). For others, I don't get notified, but a badge appears on my phone. Both have the same settings, but I can't figure out what the issue is. Second, I linked Slack to my Google Drive, which I thought could streamline the uploading/downloading process for my clients. However, what I didn't realize, is that every change that someone makes to a shared Drive folder (in this instance it was my wife) gets a notification from Slack. I quickly un-linked the two and went back to the way it was. I wish there were a way to pick and choose what you get notifications for.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you feel disorganized, or you email inbox is constantly filling up with communications from clients or co-workers, give Slack a try. It's super intuitive, great for collaboration, and really keeps everyone on the same track.

The reason I started using it is because one client and I went back almost 100 times via email about one project. To keep that from happening, and to make communication easier, we switched to Slack. It hasn't let us down at all. Now, whenever I get a new client, I always try to get them to move to Slack so we can communicate there. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. But when they do, it's much easier to keep a consistent schedule and process.

Slack review by Rita B.
Rita B.

"Great for communication as a remote employee"

What do you like best?

I like being able to provide code snippets when needed. As a developer this helps a great deal when I'm having trouble with a code block, because then I can share it with someone more knowledgeable than me immediately and get feedback/fixes on the spot.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes there's an outage and it prevents me from connecting with my job. This can be extremely problematic if we're getting ready to launch something and I need to get clearance before pushing something to production. Resorting to email isn't ideal since there's really no way of knowing when the person on the other end will check their emails.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There isn't usually an outage, but make sure to have a backup means of communication in case it ever happens. Find out what integrations will be useful to you as well. We used Asana for a while until my boss decided it wasn't beneficial to our cause as a whole; the constant slackbot notifications honestly got to be too much. Also, check out some of the sidebar customizations to make Slack your own. I use Slack for more than just work so i have each workspace sidebar colored differently so I know where I am at all times.

It allows me to stay in contact with my superiors and co-workers. As a remote employee this is very beneficial for me. I need to check in and provide updates for what I'm working on and Slack provides an instant way to do so that doesn't require people having my phone number.

Slack review by Greivin Raúl N.
Greivin Raúl N.

"Slack for the team"

What do you like best?

The video conferencing and the audio conferencing are pretty cool. All the platform is cool and so nice at the view. This is the first thing to mention. Of course, all the features, like groups, like yo can have all the company contacts on the same place, file sharing, an easy to use platform, so friendly with the user, and even the Slackbot for whatever you want or need to know.

What do you dislike?

No dislikes for Salck. It's a pretty cool app. More than that, more likes for slack. You can even personalize some gifts or icons to share with your team. I am very satisfied with the app.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Slack is so much intuitive than other apps for the same purpose, and looks nicer than the other. It is an election to use slack, and for us, it's been the good one.

Communication inside the company, file sharing and meetings.

Slack review by Jared F.
Jared F.

"Amazing communication integration for everyone"

What do you like best?

The best of Slack over over communication platforms is its ability to be integrated into so many products. For example, you can use Slack Bots and other features to receive notifications from group projects, a software system, or even random reminders. You can also share files and direct message people within your channels, and you can easily manage multiple teams with the same account.

What do you dislike?

The worst part of Slack is getting used to having to sign into each channel on each device separately. For me, I want to be signed into all of my accounts on all of me devices, but right now you have to sign into each channel individually when you add a device or add a channel. Other than that, Slack does pretty much everything I can want it to.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely research all of the different plugins and integrations you can do with Slack. These are the features that really make Slack go above and beyond their competition. My favorite integration is the uptime robot that tells us when our website is down, and it also tells us when it comes back online.

With multiple remote website developers, it is hard to ensure that all the details and changing project requirements are being passed on to everyone that is involved in the development process. With Slack, we can easily create custom groups to send out updates, ask important and timely questions, and also share relevant files.

Slack review by Brittni F.
Brittni F.

"Best App for the Lab "

What do you like best?

We use slack for our lab and our student groups at wake forest. its great to be able to communicate with each other. I love that you have the ability to search for images and or text that you have sent in the past. I always reccomend this aoo ti every group i have joined. The ease of this app compared to texting and or email is so much better. We can set times not to text each other unless there is an emergency. We can set status to show each other where we might be in the building if someone needs help. Also out PI sets up a calendar for reminders each day on the events

What do you dislike?

I wish there was a calendar attached to slack for easy access. Currently you can use a google calendar but its not super easy when working with different teams. I would really like to have a seperate calendar so we can add specific tasks to it for all the grop members to see. Also i wish integraion with other apps like asan was more user friendly. I find it really hard to teach new users how to integrate with other apps. As well I with notificaton were not able to be turned off for specfic channels so users would hvae to see certain texts that were emergency or otherwise. I t would al

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would fully reccomend this app. Especially if you are using task management apps like asana or quip the integreation is pretty nice if you know how to use it. If you are going to use slack for the work place I reccomend have a group learning session

We have channels set up for specific equipment so whenever we run into a problem we can ask each other questions without bothering people who are busy at the moment. This also always us to start a troubleshooting channel so if we run into similar problems we have solutions

Slack review by Angel Alberto G.
Angel Alberto G.

"Keep Your Project Or Those Of Your Company Afloat"

What do you like best?

It is an excellent tool with which you can maintain or carry out the ideas of a project or even follow up on them once they are in execution, this tool allows you to organize the work groups according to the focus in which they work and to be able to monitor their progress, with the help of the groups or channels with which the different activities to be done are notified and those that can be made or executed soon, if it is a tool that helps the companies or certain groups of a company to maintain and execute the projects froma more effective.

What do you dislike?

In some cases the application remains hung but otherwise it is excellent and fulfills the functions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Slack because it helps to manage processes, especially when they are projects that require an estimated time of execution, allows you to organize tasks and delegate many functions to other members of the group, and follow up on projects in a more accurate way.

It allows to accelerate the processes, especially when they are projects that require an estimated time of execution, since it has allowed to organize tasks and delegate many functions to other members of the group within the company.

Slack review by Robert G.
Robert G.

"Love to Slack"

What do you like best?

It doesn't matter if I need to contact the whole team or just a member. They are but a text away. The ease of sharing files and info with people is great and don't have to worry about having limits on the number in the group.

What do you dislike?

I have a couple of group personal text disappear and have to log in on the computer to find them. I have been told that you are able to do this on the mobile app but I have not figured out how.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a better option than normal texting. You have no real limits on group numbers, it is secure and you have the option to reach everyone, separate into groups or reach people individually.

Actually many, IT uses for bug and website fixes; We use a page designated for brainstorming before going to whiteboard for specific programs; Communications use it for specific announcements and upcoming events to coordinate.

Slack review by Ryan S.
Ryan S.

"Really Just The Best Chat Platform For Teams To Work, Collaborate And Have Fun"

What do you like best?

Out of the several apps that we tested, none had the tools to make collaboration easy, and Slack continues to sometimes exceed email as the preferred communication channel for many of our teams. The ability to quickly pull up a direct message is something any platform can do but channels is where slack really stands out. The ability to ping an entire channel, or just those that are here is great. The integration of automated responses also saves time, as you can just set a response for questions such as "what is the wifi password" and slackbotbot will take care of it. Other app integrations are great, especially google drive. The ability to not only share, but grant access when requested to access documents really cuts down on the amount of work needed for what is essentially a simple task. Finally they have tie-ins that are just great for team building, wether thats gifs, polls or custom emoji I find people having fun in what could have been a boring chat app.

What do you dislike?

cost of licenses, we had to restrict slack to IT, product and engineering. If we were to roll it out to the company it would have been 2 million dollars a year, for a chat app.

Recommendations to others considering the product

it is the best chat app that we tested, but it is pricey, so make sure you have that cost planned for long-term as it is an easy cut to the annual budget

We can have efficient communication especially with teams.

It can be informal or formal, but it is able to facilitate both work and team building

Slack review by Rick P.
Rick P.

"Hard-to-beat team collaboration and communication"

What do you like best?

Of all the collaboration and communication tools I've tried out, the one that both clients and team members have taken to the most readily and have figured out easily, Slack is the clear winner. The free tier has been enough for us with even a few years of use (we still use e-mail quite a bit and there are some clients who simply won't install another app on their phones.) There have been challengers - I've been trying out the estimable Flock for instance - but it's hard to beat the powerful integrations and ease of use of Slack.

What do you dislike?

Interface really needs to be simplified. There are just too many visible links, buttons, and tools that simply aren't used very often.

Flock makes it easier (and cheaper) to add clients temporarily to teams.

These two issues may in fact cause us to move over to Flock eventually.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try out Flock first but given Slack's ubiquity and feature-depth, you'll still probably choose it.

It's easy to keep everyone, both clients and team members, on the same page, particularly to have a central location for all assets of a particular design project. Integrations with Dropbox and Google Drive in particular make this a snap.

Slack review by Joseph N.
Joseph N.

"Online Collaboration at its Best"

What do you like best?

First, the platform offers knowledge on virtually every matter in existence, from medicine and health, to engineering to lifestyle and fashion to religion. Secondly, it has a very well organized way of sorting information in channels, channels that fit the user needs or specialty. I am assured that as I look for collaborative help or discussion on health matters, I will not find religion and geography, but health issues. I will also be connected to people in the same field as I. Thirdly, there is a big number of people who use Slack, making information readily available when you need it. Numerous specialists on different disciplines are using Slack, and are providing information to information seekers. Not to forget, Slack has a database that stores information in that the user can go to old files. In other words, Slack has history, and thus as a client, I can search and retrieve old information I had shared or sourced from Slack. I find the file sharing feature a big plus for any software, because I believe file and document sharing enhances communication and information sharing, and is actually a pillar to effective information sharing. Slack does not fall short of this. It even provides you with the chance to video/audio call your collaborations!

What do you dislike?

For a newbie however, the Slack platform may be a little challenging.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We should all sign up with slack for an easier experiencing in running our businesses.

In my business, Information is the biggest asset. Sometimes, I lack all the required information on how-to about something. With Slack however, I am not worried because I have the help I need with my collaborations.

Slack review by Kyle W.
Kyle W.

"Pretty straight forward and easy to use."

What do you like best?

Pretty simple - search function is great in finding people to add to your favorites. I also like all the keyboard shortcuts that are available, along with the tool that explains each shortcut, how to use it and what it is used for.

What do you dislike?

The help guide is not very helpful. You really need to know how to search and what to search for, but that can be hard when you are a new user of an application. A more menu based knowledge base would make it a better help guide.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to use if you have used any other chat applications, however there isn't a great 'Help" function that is easy to navigate. You really need to learn from other users with more experience to learn how to best utilize this application.

Instant communication across different office sites. We are in different states and different time zones, and this application allows everyone to stay in the loop. It also allows our employees to know when people are online and available to discuss projects, processes and tasks.

Slack review by Jayathi R.
Jayathi R.

"The best communication tool on the market"

What do you like best?

Slack comes with clear and solid user interface. It's very attractive and easy to use.

We can create different separate 'teams' on slack for different purposes. By using this method, we can divide our community into separate sections.

Also we can create 'channels', Then we can assign people to different topics / tasks.

Another thing is we can create 'To-Do' list with slack. By using this we can assign tasks to team members.

Slack comes with 'direct messages and calls'. So we can communicate with our team members from anywhere at any time.

'Slack-Bot' is very helpful. It's very powerful 'AI' bot. Actually It helped me to get a better understanding about the workflow.

File sharing is very easy and fast. I'm not worried about the file capacity anymore.

Also i can attach files directly from google drive. So I don't need any local storage to attach my files.

Notifications and reminders are very helpful to manage our daily tasks.

User profile and workspace is very customizable. Actually we can add custom emoji's and avatars to slack.

Slack works with both 'mobile and desktop' devices and it's more practical in real life than other products.

What do you dislike?

I didn't had any considerable issues yet. Actually it worked for me. Very easy to use and very powerful application. Love it.!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Slack is very user friendly and lightweight communication tool. Also it comes with lots of amazing features. Don't think twice, Go for slack.! It's the best communication i have ever seen.

I'm using it on a daily basis with my team members. Actually slack helped me to achieve my business goals successfully and develop our communication skills as a team. Perfect communication tool. Highly recommended to anyone.

Slack review by Angie M.
Angie M.

"IRC of 2018"

What do you like best?

It's great that you can work with multiple teams and can use a single application for an overall communication. Thank to the 3rd party app integrations, you can extend the functionality which will help you in your everyday work.

You can integrate Trello, Bitbucket, GitHub, Google Docs and many other services.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes Slack has server issues and it's not working as expected. Therefore they have a public status page, where you can see if the service is up and running again.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't hesitate, get started right away! It's very easy to implement and you can always find some promo codes (worth of $50 or $100) which will give you enough time to test drive this SaaS.

We use Slack as a single communication channel within our company. It's easy to use, easy to search and is able to replace multiple communication channels (e-mail, Skype, Hangouts, etc). With this streamlined communication channel, all the information is in a single spot - no more missed e-mails.

Slack review by Camille D.
Camille D.

"Great Platform for Collaborative Work"

What do you like best?

I love that slack enables g-drive sharing, allows for private and public channels, guest messaging, and snooze functioning. It makes communicating and sharing files easy.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the newest version of slack, where you download a file from a conversation and it pops into a sidebar and you have to view it in the finder. I'd like for it to download directly to the bottom of the web page. Additionally, I would love for there to be a function where you can't receive messages for a duration of time — that instead they go into a little 'away' box. Otherwise, I find I lose focus quite easily, even if I snooze the notifications.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Familiarize yourself with the internal processes before hand — figure out the handy shortcuts that will save you time and utilize the functions that help you find the information that you need more easily.

Most of our team is working remotely and on different time zones, so Slack is helpful in that it unifies and streamlines our processes and makes it easier to communicate and share files immediately.

Slack review by Andy S.
Andy S.

"A better way to work"

What do you like best?

Slack is an ideal way to keep your team connected without forcing them to adhere to the typical office structure. Via slack, I've worked with developers all over the world. We work when we can and go about our lives in the meantime. If someone has a question while I'm away from my desk, that message is forwarded to the Slack app in my pocket. We can even work continuously all day long, leaving messages for our coworkers when they wake up in the morning.

What do you dislike?

I've been using HipChat a lot lately too and the whole Atlassian suite is very tempting. If I were an HR Rep, I would likely try to bring that suite aboard, if they company can afford it. Slack is pretty good for businesses on a budget but if you can afford it, go with HipChat because of all the other HR goodies that come with it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look at HipChat too. Both are absolutely great solutions. Some other alternatives to consider are: Fleep, Rocket Chat, Mattermost, Ryver, CA Flowdock, Flock, Twist, Microsoft Teams, Skype, Glip, Wire, Chanty, Missive, JANDI, Google Hangouts, Cisco Webex, Jabber, Zoho Cliq, Zoho Connect, HighSide, Hibox, Blizz by TeamViewer, Hubgets, uShare.to, or Crugo.

I love that Slack integrates with other solutions so that I can import files that are used elsewhere in the company. I am a big fan of the following Slack apps: Bitbucket Cloud, Geekbot, Evernote, Smartsheet, AttendanceBot, Obie, and Dialpad.

Slack review by Daniela A.
Daniela A.

"Great for Business Use"

What do you like best?

Slack is pretty easy to use for businesses. Its similar to GroupMe or WhatsApp but used for more professional circumstances. I also like that you can easily upload files to your chats, making it quick and simple to transfer information.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that you have to type in a group code to start a chat with a group of people. You should just be able to start any type of group chat without using any type of code. Slack should try to simplify its use by not requiring a code or password to join a group.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is better to use slack if you have a smaller number of employees.

I'm using it for my University's consulting group. It helps us all stay in contact with each other and assign roles to each other while working with a client or business around Gainesville. We can also upload our marketing content and files through mailchimp easily. We are a small consulting group, and I believe Slack is easier to use when you have a smaller business.

Slack review by juliette n.
juliette n.

"SLACK is the best collaborative tool for everyone. "

What do you like best?

I like slack because it is not one of those complicated softwares, it is very easy to use. When I registered I liked that it has a bot that will advise you on what you can look for or just offer you help with any question. Through this application I can communicate with my team and exchange ideas, make a call, chat, create and hold group conversations, etc. It really is very complete and you can even integrate other servers such as dropbox, google drive.

It is easy to navigate through channels and chats when sharing documents and other essential information.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that notifications are very constant, which is an element of distraction. They should improve that little detail, I do not dislike anything else.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend slack, it is much easier to use than other applications and I think slack is going to supply email. It is ideal for small and large companies. You can have online work meetings from my phone or my PC.

I recommend this communication tool, since it can be used with work groups because it is useful and reliable.

It has many more advantages than other aplications.

Slack allows me a spontaneous and fluid communication with my work team and with my friends, I like it because it is not necessary to see the person because you communicate in real time with everyone.

My team and I now stay updated and remind ourselves of certain events, meetings or when tasks should be performed.

Slack review by Christine W.
Christine W.

"Huge asset to a remote team."

What do you like best?

We are a small company but slack is still so valuable! As someone that receives a ton of client email, having internal communication flow through there would not make any sense. Slack gives us the ability to sort out our present and future idea, group people by departments or projects, and even add our contractors to our easy communication channels.

What do you dislike?

Slack is so well integrated with other tools, I wish other tools would start bringing slack into THEM. For example JIRA just added the ability to see the slack convos about an item directly in JIRA - that's what partners need to start doing more of!

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking at Microsoft or other communication platforms, I would take a good look at how connected they are to SO MANY systems. We use Hubspot, and can see in Slack when we get new client sign ups or when someone chats on our website we can reply directly from there. Make sure you are getting all that value from their competitors because for the price, my guess is you will not!

Communication is the major issue we are solving. This is a critical way for our startup to be able to stay dynamic and connected without being in an office.

Slack review by Marlena B.
Marlena B.

"Slack has completely changed the way we work"

What do you like best?

I love how collaborative and intuitive Slack is. We moved from Pidgen and Slack is night and day in terms of UI and possibilities. I love that it's so easy to create channels and there are plug-ins you can get to make it easy to connect to JIRA, SFDC, and much more. Our team communicates more and questions are answered quicker than ever before. When used correctly you can use it as a knowledge base for services and products within your company.

What do you dislike?

There is very little I dislike. If I could ask for anything though, it would be nice to have a page showing the hierarchy of the company somewhere and provide ways to organize pinned slack messages. If there were also different admin levels it could make it easier to manage channels (example: you could make someone admin of just a certain channel they create, right now there are only full account admins)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Slack is so much more than a chat tool. It allows you to video chat and collaborate with multiple team members seamlessly and hold historical information that easy to search and find.

Internal day-to day updates are easy to facilitate so emails are used less. We use it as a means to communicate product feedback and brainstorm strategies so it increases collaboration. I believe engineering uses it heavily for patches and updates. Ultimately it makes managing a constantly changing company/product easier and makes the culture more open to communicating.

Slack review by Konica K.
Konica K.

"Easy to use IM tool for business needs!"

What do you like best?

Slack keeps all history ever of all conversations with anyone - readily available just by scrolling up.

What do you dislike?

Profile status changes to Away after a while if you go off the tool and use something else in your computer - check emails, use another app, etc. When you come back to Slack and hover over your name, status changes back to Online. It would be ideal if the status did not change to Away so frequently. There is not a way to modify this setting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great tool for business needs! If possible, try a trial run of the software before you buy so you can see how it would impact your business and daily activities.

It is a quicker way to connect with co-workers and since all conversation history is readily available, it is easy to reference something previously discussed. Slack cuts out a lot of email communications, saving time and space in Inbox.

Slack review by Gary C.
Gary C.

"Helped a lot with comunication in our org"

What do you like best?

I love how easy Slack is to use. It is user friendly and it has a familiar interface. Another feature I love is that we can drag and drop to share large files in Slack. When working in a fast environment where things like presentations or creative need to be reviewed around quickly, but are too big to email, Slack is a really useful tool.

Also, the ability to share code snippets without the formatting getting lost is helpful while working with development teams.

What do you dislike?

One thing that's actually really frustrating is not having control over deleting conversations. As with any direct messaging app, there's an expectation of privacy between those two people. However, it's really unclear if admins can ever access these direct messages.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Only use the paid version if you can afford it. It is a very good tool to keep the group connected and to improve thr group performace

Overall, Slack is the communication king. It acts as a one tool for all and seamlessly allows multiple integrations with so many third party applications. All of its content are searchable, pinnable and configurable to our personal preference

Slack review by Doug M.
Doug M.

"The industry's best team collaboration tool, hands down."

What do you like best?

The ability to search conversations, create channels around different projects, integrate a ton of other services, and add your own custom emoji are just some of the many features of Slack that set it apart from its competition. Many companies have come after Slack after its rise to popularity, only to release sub-par copies of Slack. And that includes titans of software like Microsoft, so that should say something pretty significant about Slack, as a company that started out small and disrupted an entire industry of productivity apps.

What do you dislike?

The freedom and flexibility of Slack is simultaneously its greatest strengths and its weakest points. If you don't have a clear idea of exactly how your Slack team should be organized, what the purpose of specific channels should be, what integrations to bring in and which ones work for your team, it is going to be a steep curve getting up on Slack. There's also a specific culture of workplaces that are more welcoming to the idea of a virtual water cooler than others, so despite the technology's privacy and security being rock solid, there are still concerns when bringing it into older enterprise environments, regarding where the data from Slack channels goes and how it is stored.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take some time upfront to think about how your work is organized, what conversations are happening around specific projects and what other systems you can integrate into Slack before allowing everyone to have access to it. Doing this work in advance of allowing open access will give you time to set expectations for what goes in Slack and what goes elsewhere, and users will have an easier time adopting Slack into their workflows.

Slack allows quick and seamless communication between team members in a way that is fun, flexible and most of all, NOT EMAIL. The amount of email that is cut down by using Slack and a project management tool like Asana is astounding. And that's a good thing! More companies should embrace methods to cut down on how much time their employees spend sifting through endless inboxes.

Slack review by Andrea G.
Andrea G.

"Slack in the Work Place"

What do you like best?

I enjoy using SLACK, because it has the option to create a channel or a chat with specific people! Before, we were using Google Hangouts, but only had the ability to create GROUP CHATS, rather than the channels we have created in SLACK. We have channels for almost everything! Each department, a work event channel, a random channel, a support channel...etc It was also very easy to implement coming over from Hangouts. We use Slack for the front desk letting us know a package has arrived, to using slack when we are out of the office and need to ask a quick question. It is very simple!

What do you dislike?

The one thing I do not like from SLACK is that the notifications are a little tricky. Sometimes the only way I am notified about a slack messaged, is because they had to put @here...or @myname. But if I am not mentioned in the slack I could miss the message for hours.

Also, once a chat is created, it is difficult adding other people to the slack later.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely use it in a large workplace. It is easy to implement!

The benefits in using SLACK in our workplace are the CHANNELS we have going.

We have channels for almost everything! Each department, a work event channel, a random channel, a support channel...etc. Having those channels have allowed not just specific people to answer questions, but the whole company can view the question and answer them as well.

Slack review by Hasitha W.
Hasitha W.

"Perfect and very powerful communication tool for anyone. Highly recommended.!"

What do you like best?

Perfect tool for communication between team members. I can create teams on slack and i can easily share my ideas, messages, files with anyone.

Also i can easily share large files. I actually don't think about file sizes anymore. Slack can handle large files without any upload issues.

Another thing is i can create 'To-Do list's' and it comes with reminders and notification features. By using this features, we can assign tasks to team members and track the progress.

I'm not worry about my current location anymore. Because i can collaborate with my work-space from anywhere at any time by using 'slack mobile application'.

I don't need to save files locally to share on slack. Because i can add files directly from google drive. It is very important.

What do you dislike?

I'm normally use it on a daily basis with my team and I haven't faced any considerable problems yet. But slack 'free plan' given me only limited messaging history. I think it's enough for now. But It's better if we can get some extra capacity. That's all.

Slack helped me to get connect with my developing team. I don't need to move here to there anymore. Also I can collaborate with my work-space from anywhere at any time. Other than my business email service, Slack is my primary professional communication tool. Because slack helps me to improve my communication skills and achieve my business goals. Highly recommended.

Slack review by Varun B.
Varun B.

"Slack and why it is very good"

What do you like best?

The group chat and the ability to delete a sent message are some of the best features. Support for audio and video chat is a great plus! Small features like sending code snippets in a different manner and adding all kinds of attachments are great. Also, support to pin important messages to chats and groups and great message searchability makes slack very good to use.

What do you dislike?

The video chat lags at times. I have made video calls accross the globe and they were at times really slow. The audio worked just fine but I think even that can improve a bit.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just get it, try it for the first week and then you won't think of moving to some other messaging app especially if you work in a big organization and also want multiple workspaces

The entire communication for both my latest orgs happens through Slack and Outlook. Slack being the messaging and informal tool and outlook being the formal and mailing tool. We used it for team discussion, friendly chats, sending over small snippets of code or sending powerpoints or reports and even videos. There were times when something usefull was discovered over chat and the Pin feature in Slack allowed users to kind of bookmark that message and later see all the important highlighted messages.

Slack review by Allison F.
Allison F.

"Slack - A Better GroupMe"

What do you like best?

I like having multiple channels and customization. We have over 50 people in our workspace, but it is so organized and doesn't feel overwhelming. People only see the information they need to see. You can also use the applications to customize Slack to best serve your team's needs. There is no one size fits all and Slack accounts for that.

What do you dislike?

I dislike some of the notification settings. For example, it is nice that you can turn off notifications or set work hours, but I feel like if I get a notification during those "off" times, it can be easy for me to lose it and I do feel like I miss things when I turn those notifications off.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take time to explore the different application and bot options as they really enhance the experience but can be a little more time consuming

Our organization is much more connected now that we have used Slack. We have members across different states and Slack provides ways for us all to stay connected despite the distance.

Slack review by Delaney D.
Delaney D.

"Slack for Workplace"

What do you like best?

I love that we have a casual place to talk as a team that is in a safe place tucked away for when I am ready to check it. It isn't as urgent as an email or as annoying as a text. I love that we can categorize the conversations, so only team members that are interested in a specific topic need to see it. Team meetings are less cluttered with stuff, because we have already discussed these subjects in their designated areas.

What do you dislike?

The notifications can get obnoxious when I am unavailable but many team members are talking at once. Other than that, I find that it's a very useful product. I found the sign-up process to be a big confusing. I made 3 profiles before I realized it. I can't sign in on a desktop, because it logs into the wrong profile, but I just use it on my phone and that's been fine.

We are able to brainstorm in different categories of our work. We have separate boards for each topic so it isn't a big mash of different ideas that we can't sort. This keeps us more on task during meetings. Our once 3 hours meets are 1 hour, because don't need to talk about silly things that can be typed in their boards. Also, we have a large team and not all the agents need to know about every little thing having to do with it.

Slack review by Tarun A.
Tarun A.

"Collaboration made Easy | Slack"

What do you like best?

It offers many outstanding features. It offers one of the best UI for chat applications used professionally. It's easy to navigate through channels and chats while sharing documents and other essential information. It has an excellent design and integration too with other tools like Google Drive. The integration are limited in the free version of Slack though

What do you dislike?

It is verry very expensive if you want to go for their paid plans. So, only use it if you can afford it

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it for only free versrion. The paid version is too costly. So, only use it if you can afford it

Slack helped us a lot to realize and achieve goals very fast. The fast paced, collaboration tool was first of it's kind with a beautiful UI that one cannot resist. We made different Slack channels for different tasks and it has definitely reduced the messages I have to read.

Slack review by Madison G.
Madison G.

"Love this app"

What do you like best?

I love how this app easily allows you to communicate with everyone you work with. Simple and effective. When I was first sent the link to sign up by my boss, I was under the impression that is never use it, but that was not the case. All of communicate about meetings, when we are running late, when certain projects are due, and it has been very helpful to do all of that in one place through an app rather than back and forth emails and texts.

What do you dislike?

I have not come across anything that I dislike about this app, to be honest!

Recommendations to others considering the product

I’d highly suggest this app for ease of communication with all management and employees.

The Slack app has helped us all at work keep up with each other and help remind one another of certain events, meetings, or when tasks are due. Benefits: easily communicate with bosses and coworkers. Sending a group message rather than sending several texts and/or emails has been helpful.

Slack review by Jacob O.
Jacob O.

"Communicate effectively with your peers!"

What do you like best?

The best thing about slack is the large amount of channels you can use. I can post a message to the overall group channel for everyone and then post a separate message to specific individuals if it does not involve the whole group. It is much better that way so your phone is not blowing up all day with texts that do not even involve you.

What do you dislike?

Slack is very similar to other outlets such as GroupMe. I do not like it as much as other software because I don't find it to be very unique. GroupMe and even DM messages can do the same thing so make sure you can take advantage of the various channels Slack has!

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have multiple subcommittees in your organization or company, it can be a big help by providing separate channels. In addition, if you have trouble using technology because of your age or other constraints, Slack is extremely easy to use. You simply mark yourself as the owner of the Page and or group and start sending invitations through email to all of your classmates and/or coworkers. It is a great tool!

We are finding ways to communicate better. Before, people were not as informed about meetings and other appointments and now everyone is updated if meetings are changed and whatnot.

Slack review by Claudia Andrea M.
Claudia Andrea M.

"Slack is the new email"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that you can have several channels within slack and even several work places. This helps me communicate with my team and other companies in the same application. I also LOVE that there are emojis. Emojis make messages more personal and less stressful. Slack really is the new email and far less intimidating. I also like that you can use Trello within slack! It makes life a lot easier.

What do you dislike?

Some people are hesitant to use emojis and other applications, such as trello, within slack. I dislike the fact that not all companies use slack! Also, I would like to see more spread when it comes to pricing. It would be nice if individuals could purchase slack and not just the company.

Recommendations to others considering the product

EVERY COMPANY SHOULD USE IT

As customer service we solve an array of problems daily. Slack helps us brainstorm as a team on how to tackle these problems. It helps us send links, documents, and attachments super quickly and easily.

Slack review by Kaitlin G.
Kaitlin G.

"Easy Communication"

What do you like best?

I love that Slack makes it easy to organize conversations into specific threads, so nothing gets lost in the noise. The actual design of the website is also visually pleasing, and the controls are very self-explanatory. I also like that there is a "slack bot" chat tool that you can ask questions about how to use the site. Slack also makes it easy to share links, documents, photos, and other files.

What do you dislike?

There is currently nothing that I dislike about slack, though I do suggest offering some ways to allow users to customize their slack homepages, notifications, etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely consider this product if you work with many remote people! It is much easier to use than Google Suite.

With slack, my remote team is able to convene both synchronously and asynchronously. We are able to send each other updates, private message each other, and have real-time brainstorm sessions right in the app. We are also able to quickly and easily share files right in our message threads. Slack also makes it easy to divide our messages into different "threads" or topics, helping us keep idle chit-chat separate from conversations that need to remain on a singular topic.

Slack review by Corey D.
Corey D.

"The best thing since the invention of collaboration apps"

What do you like best?

Slack is amazing. I LOVE all of the integrations for collaboration and project management. My teams and I share LOTS of files, including GIF's (saves us from typing out our full reaction). The file handling is absolutely superb. Sometimes, I'll even slack myself (!!) a file remotely, just because I know that it will be there for me when I get home.

What do you dislike?

I've been using Slack since its inception, so really the only downfall it had was the lack of video calls or screensharing. That has been resolved, and now Slack is just stupendous. I really do not have any dislikes for this app at all.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Slack is my go-to for collaboration apps. I no longer utilize any other communications apps. Every project I have worked on, I have suggested it for keeping the team connected, and even new users are fully on board now. It is easy to learn, the help and support is second to none, and the updates are always very relevant and never overbearing with their frequency.

I have no less than 5 active Slack channels at any given time. My teammates are in various time zones, countries, states- from Mexico City to Colombia to Sri Lanka. The "snooze notifications" feature keeps us from firing off messages during the other teammates' downtimes. This makes seeing who is working at what time a breeze.

Slack review by Asnir V.
Asnir V.

"Keep your ideas and team work organized."

What do you like best?

Through this platform I can communicate with my team to exchange ideas about projects and pending tasks, I can create threads of discussions in which any member of the team can access as long as you have the necessary permissions, they can upload any type of files, also this tool you have many options to keep the communication as chat and calls.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it can be confusing because it opens a lot of tabs in the browser, and I think it can be a bit difficult to integrate this tool into a work environment since some people may not feel comfortable using this software as a main communication tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You must take into account the number of people in the team and for what purpose you want to maintain communication, since this tool may not meet your expectations.

I help a lot in my work to maintain communication with my colleagues, as I was able to avoid sending emails and using personal social networks.

Slack review by Ashley J.
Ashley J.

"Amazing way to connect with fellow employees and stay on top of things."

What do you like best?

The ability to start messages makes it really easy to come back to things and prioritize. If I see something that I know will require more attention/focus but I don't have time at the moment to do so I will star the message and the app will alert me (based on a time I choose) so I can come back to it.

What do you dislike?

The channels can get a bit overwhelming and I wish there was a way to create our own sidebar menu instead of it being done alphabetically.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make private channels between employees you interact with a lot as opposed to just individual chats. the channels stay open while chats phase out depending on more recent ones.

Ease to communicate with different departments. Don't have to shout across the room. Easy distribution of linked material, easy to pass along information. Can create channels with relevant members so not every employee gets every notification.

Slack review by Sara S.
Sara S.

"Have used Slack for personal and work purposes! LOVE IT!"

What do you like best?

My favorite thing about slack is how it brings people together. I started using it at work, showed it to one of my friends and they ended up making a slack group for our friend group. As we traveled separate ways, met new people, etc., more people joined us, more channels were added, more emojis were created and it just brought such a sense of community to my friends and has allowed me to introduce people living far away from me currently to new amazing people in my life!

For work purposes, nothing is better than Slack for communicating and communicating QUICKLY. Sorry G-chat, I just can't get with it! It allows for work to be done and communicated but also for us to be able to blow some steam off and send a funny gif in the middle of a hectic work day. I do love having the different channels, and private channels as well for each team. Instead of sending an e-mail to a huge team of 30 people I can send one slack message to the whole team's channel and get an INSTANT answer. Slack has changed the game and I encourage more businesses to adopt Slack!

What do you dislike?

I wish there was more diversity in the notifications. They do pretty well with being able to silence specific channels however, I would in the future like to be able to make my slack notifications specific per channel. This is just a want though that I can live without but it would make Slack 110%!

Recommendations to others considering the product

While there are other platforms for communication I highly recommend Slack. It is easy, intuitive, and all levels of technology users can use it! The app for your phone works well too and it is just a nice easy way to quickly communicate with your teams. The customization available along with integration is exceptional for business needs.

Communication! E-mails are good when something is in depth or not as urgent. In our world today, most things are urgent and it is very important to be able to communicate to teams quickly!

Also when one of our programs goes down, we can quickly notify our IT team and others about it!

Slack review by Amy O.
Amy O.

"the Best Real Time Messaging for Task Collaboration"

What do you like best?

I LOVE Slack! I love that you are able to chat, share documents, keep track of tasks, create collaboration groups, and SO much more with just one App! I love that I can use it on my desktop as well as my phone so I'm sure to not miss anything important that my clients may need.

What do you dislike?

So far there is nothing that I dislike. It is super easy to use and learn.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is great for small and large groups that are working together on small and large projects. There are no minimum requirements and there are no projects to large or too small. It can adapt to what you need.

Slack is helping me keep track of tasks in one spot. It's moving any more important to-do list items to the top with a quick IM instead of sending an email and waiting for a response that may take longer.

Slack review by Caroline G.
Caroline G.

"Slack Review"

What do you like best?

I like that it allows me to communicate with other consultants in an easier way that is separate from my personal correspondence. I also like that it is a simple format that makes it easy for me to search through previous messages. Other than it made my semester a lot easier and it was very much like texting, but more professional.

What do you dislike?

When using it, I disliked that setting up notifications never really worked for me. I might have been my phone, but I would have to open up the application to see my new messages.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend remembering that this is mostly a professional service and to not confuse it with a personal service. Just make sure to go over this with those who you are working with. Overall, the app is very simple to use and very customizable, so it can be used to fit everyone's workplace needs. I would recommend this product to those who are needing an inter-company communication source other than just texting through normal phones.

The problems that I solved with SLack were communication and separation of work and personal life. It has made communicating at work a lot more stress-free and more professional.

Slack review by Chris M.
Chris M.

"There's a reason big companies love slack!"

What do you like best?

There is so much to like about slack. To start, as a messaging platform, the user interface is almost perfect. Being able to @people to mention them in a conversation, using hashtags to jump to other conversations, being able to share files with drag and drop, I can go on forever.

The amount of platforms that slack integrates with is endless, which is perfect for ensuring our internal communication is always being tracked and best utilized.

Also, bots. If you don't know what bots are, they're basically apps that help turn slack from a messaging app to project management, scheduling meetings, sending polls and surveys, the list goes on!

What do you dislike?

There's honestly not much to dislike about slack. This is more of an internal challenge than something we dislike, but we are trying to have slack integrated into a visual force page in one of our pages on salesforce, which we cannot do as Salesforce does not allow 3rd party apps to be integrated into visualforce pages.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just try it out! And really dig into all the abilities that slack has besides being just an instant messenger because it's way more than that. Slack can help you boost productivity and become more organized.

The benefits that I wanted to get slack for and have solved since is decluttering our emails and saving emails from external communication. All internal communication is done through slack and has increased response times for both external and internal communication.

Slack review by Jeff L.
Jeff L.

"The Best Work Messenger I've Used to Date"

What do you like best?

The clean interface is pretty nice and is mostly intuitive. The features that I appreciate the most are mentions (channel and user), being able to easily share links/files, notification options for global/channel scope and custom emojis/reacts (which is a bonus rather than a requirement).

What do you dislike?

The direct messages list only has my recent persons rather than all of them. It would be nice to have more visibility on whom I've talked to. Especially since I tend to use that to see if a coworker is online to message.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I've used other enterprise messengers like sametime and skype for business. Slack is far better than those two. This is a modern messenger, if you're considering something new. If you've used irc in the past, it's like a much better implementation of irc. Plus you can drop files, links, etc. into the messenger to share with coworkers. It's been a pleasure to use so far.

Intra company communication. We're also using it for alert developers when hardware/software is having issues. There's an integration that allows our software to post messages to a channel.

Learning about Slack?

Published:
* We monitor all Slack reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.