Slackware

3.5

Slackware Linux is an advanced Linux operating system, designed with the twin goals of ease of use and stability as top priorities,including the latest popular software while retaining a sense of tradition, providing simplicity and ease of use alongside flexibility and power,

Work for Slackware?

Learning about Slackware?

Slackware Reviews

Showing 2 Slackware reviews
Slackware review by Adenike O.
Adenike O.

"Slackware enable me manually manage my system package."

What do you like best?

STABILITY - For every new release ,Slackware has been able to include the stable versions of all included software programs. This ensures that save for the mandatory security and bug fixes, users get to compile and install the latest versions of their preferred software themselves.

SIMPLICITY - Slackware is amongst the now very few Linux distributions still offering users a simple , configurable system . I love how I am able to edit plain text configuration files on my Slack.

PRIVACY - We are in the era of cloud integrations. However , Slackware does not offer cloud integration ,ensuring I am not sharing my personal data with software firms.

What do you dislike?

Slackware does not currently provide me with automatic dependency resolution and this will probably be the case for some time to come.Also in order for me to install add-on software with Slackware , I have to search and install additional dependencies by myself ,manually.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I endorse Slackware for server based functions. Basically I see Slackware as secure ,rock-solid and simple and these are properties I appreciate from a server installation.

I currently make use of Slackware on my workstation at my office ; operating a LAMP stack for development and system administration purposes. I never experience downtime and for the few occasions I encountered any downtime ; it was due to power cut.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Slackware
Slackware review by Stephen G. L.
Stephen G. L.

"Used Slackware circa 1993-1996"

What do you like best?

Slackware is an ancient distribution for Linux. I haven't used it lately, so have no credibility on how it lives today.

What do you dislike?

Difficulty of keeping the OS plus all installed software current with each others' versions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try a more modern Linux distribution. I use Ubuntu. Haven't looked much into alternatives, lately, since I have a very stable machine. Up 4 days without need of reboot. That is new, for me, and I feel - important.

All problems, business and otherwise, that a great OS is capable of solving. I got to know Linux/UNIX and other free UNIX-like-OS based software.

What Operating System solution do you use?

There are not enough reviews of Slackware for G2 Crowd to provide buying insight. Below are some alternatives with more reviews:

Ubuntu Logo
Ubuntu
Super-fast, easy to use and free, the Ubuntu operating system powers millions of desktops, netbooks and servers around the world.
Windows 10 Logo
Windows 10
Windows 10 is familiar and easy to use, with lots of similarities to Windows 7 including the Start menu. It starts up and resumes fast, has more built-in security to help keep you safe, and is designed to work with software and hardware you already have.
Apple iOS Logo
Apple iOS
An advanced mobile operating system. With its easy-to-use interface, amazing features, and rock solid stability, iOS is the foundation of iPhone. And even as others try to catch up, the technologies and features built into iOS keep iPhone years ahead.
Windows 7 Logo
Windows 7
Windows 7 is your PC simplified. Enjoy your media wherever you want, stay productive with the smart new desktop, get creative with Windows Live Photo Gallery.
Android Logo
Android
Android is the a globally popular mobile platform. With Android you can use all Google apps, plus thousands of apps and games are available on Google Play.
Apple OS X El Capitan Logo
Apple OS X El Capitan
OS X El Capitan gives you simpler, smarter ways to do the things you do most with your Mac. Like working in multiple apps at the same time using Split View.
CentOS Logo
CentOS
CentOS is an Enterprise-class Linux Distribution derived from sources freely provided to the public by a prominent North American Enterprise Linux vendor.
RedHat Enterprise Linux Logo
RedHat Enterprise Linux
Open source platform for mission-critical computing
Windows 8 Logo
Windows 8
3.2
Windows reimagined and reinvented from a solid core of Windows 7 speed and reliability. It's an all-new touch interface. It's a new Windows 8 for new devices.
macOS Sierra Logo
macOS Sierra
macOS Sierra helps you rediscover your best photos, shop fast and conveniently online, and work between devices. It can also help free up storage space.

Learning about Slackware?

* We monitor all Slackware reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.