SlickEdit

SlickEdit provides software developers with the multi-language, multi-platform code-editing capabilities they need to write better code, faster.

Work for SlickEdit?

Learning about SlickEdit?

SlickEdit Reviews

Ask SlickEdit a Question
Showing 12 SlickEdit reviews
SlickEdit review by Jack C.
Jack C.

"Great cross-platform source code/text editor"

What do you like best?

It supports a lot of languages and the loading speed is decent even on large projects. I like the group support in the GUI to make manage project much easier. It supports over 90 different languages and over 9 platforms. Start up time is decent as well so we don't have to waste time waiting for the edit to fully loaded.

What do you dislike?

It has a lot of features but the it requires some learning curve before a new user can start to use it. Sometimes when a new language is supported, it might be buggy and it takes a while to figure out the problem and contact SlickEdit to fix it because of the complexity. Setting up different version control tools to work with SlickEdit might be a little difficult depending on how the two tools working together. GUI might look a bit different when there is a major version update and it requires user to re-learn the GUI, which might be time consuming.

Recommendations to others considering the product

SlickEdit is best suit for projects across multiple sites using different programming languages.

Slickedit helped us to improve efficiency on projects using different coding languages. It reduces communication overhead and also makes integration of different program functions much easier. Overall it would reduce the engineering and communication cost over a project.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about SlickEdit
SlickEdit review by User in Wireless
User in Wireless

"slick indeed"

What do you like best?

Slickedit is lightweight and loads in a hurry. I like the ease of customization and how I can integrate it with other applications (version control). Another plus is the compare tool which can compare whole folders as well as individual files. I like the small memory footprint and that it does not slow down my laptop.

What do you dislike?

One thing I don't like so much is when I put my machine on sleep and come back up, Slickedit will ask for the license and if any files were open through network share, and the network location was inaccessible, it would either make me close them or keep them open but show them as unsaved. I understand the reason but I wish there was a better solution.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get used to the project view as soon as possible. There might be a small learning curve there but it saves so much time later.

For me, Slickedit is the editor of choice for scripting and programming. It is able to automate a lot of indentation and helps with getting a project view where searching references and definitions is a cinch.

What Text Editor solution do you use?

SlickEdit review by Marc J.
Marc J.

"Slickedit is a very decent text editor for novice programmer (such as myself)"

What do you like best?

First of all let me state, I'm just a novice programmer and work on a very part-time basis on some programming projects. With that said, I was able to try out the slickedit software a few months ago and very much pleased by it. Getting it installed and getting started overall was fairly straightforward. Tutorials for use were well explained and editing features very useful. Customizing the appearance of your programation code was a great tool.

What do you dislike?

Abundance of features may feel a little overwhelming at first. Configuration to each specific user is time-consuming.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Good tool to help programming, review and edit codes in many different languages.

Allows programmers to code with many languages, save time on programming, proof-read codes.

SlickEdit review by User in Defense & Space
User in Defense & Space

"SlickEdit is great for development"

What do you like best?

Customization

Layout

Workspace/Project features

What do you dislike?

There isn't a whole lot to say about disliking SlickEdit. One feature I haven't explored too greatly is the source control integration. It hasn't fit my use, but it may work great for others.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the time to customize your setup. Don't forget to make a workspace and a project - it will make life much easier. I have had colleagues who search in all files rather than finding references/definitions.

Software Development

SlickEdit review by User in Automotive
User in Automotive

"Great full-featured text editor"

What do you like best?

Ease of use. As soon as I installed slickedit, it was intuitive to use after I went through the wizard/getting started at the beginning. additionally I found the menus very well laid out. The macros function allows you to automate repetitive processes.

What do you dislike?

crashes. When I have too many files open it tends to get slow and crash. having to configure the app for each user can be very tedious.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great text editor take your time to learn it and you will be greatly rewarded.

Programming in multiple different languages is very good with slickedit. The source code highlighting is slick and the keyboard shortcuts are very helpful!

SlickEdit review by Carlos C.
Carlos C.

"SlickEdit best IDE for geeks"

What do you like best?

Its fast. I mean fast.

Opens in less than 3 seconds.

Finding methods, functions, class, variables is instantaneous.

It opens any type of file without the need to click the mouse 5 times.

Easy to learn the basics. You can set the shortcuts mappings to any of the major existing IDEs which will boost up your productivity in the beginning.

What do you dislike?

Step learning curve for the more advanced features (macros).

Auto complete could be improved but it is OK as is.

Configuring the project to compile, debug etc. is complicated; although very powerful,

I was working in mainly in C at the time.

I have used Slick Edit for java as well.

The greater benefit is speed, and if you have the patience to configure the macros, it can really be a pleasure to make some repetitive tasks.

SlickEdit review by Robert K.
Robert K.

"SlickEdit Review"

What do you like best?

The two things I like best about code edit is the ability to set up an entire project and how easy it is to search code and navigate to areas of interest.

What do you dislike?

I haven't really found anything that I dislike about slickedit.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would say just try it and see how useful it is. I have taken it to several work environments and many people liked using it.

I am designing, implementing and debugging code. There have been multiple occasions where I have been able to search efficiently and find issues much faster than would otherwise be possible.

SlickEdit review by User in Wireless
User in Wireless

"A very good text editor"

What do you like best?

I like the variety of programming languages it supports . Its very similar to notepad++

What do you dislike?

Its not free . Notepad++ has most if not all its functionalities

Recommendations to others considering the product

recommended for c programmers

I use for C programming , it can get references for functions which is the most useful features

SlickEdit review by Emmanuel B.
Emmanuel B.

"A usefull tool use almost every day"

What do you like best?

- Work on big files.

- To be able to select records precisely.

- To be able to select column too.

- To use TSO commands.

- I add some registries to have the possibility to choose in menu right click mouse with the correct size.

What do you dislike?

- Sometimes (but it's rare), it close abruptly but it's happen when I open a new file.

Recommendations to others considering the product

To be able to use TSO command to modify file

Files with different width size and a lot of different record type

SlickEdit review by User in Research
User in Research

"SlickEdit has been my go to IDE for several years now."

What do you like best?

It has an excellent ability to manage large code bases, allowing me to easily jump around between intertwined C++ files efficiently.

What do you dislike?

It would be nice if syntax highlighting was faster to update.

I'm able to write, develop, maintain, and test code within large code bases very easily with SlickEdit.

SlickEdit review by Internal Consultant
Internal Consultant

"Almost two years of middleware C development under SlickEdit, very excited to use it."

What do you like best?

Syntax coloring, lightweight and fast, supported under Linux, very configurable, very good indexing.

What do you dislike?

The product doesn't have free version or at least open source version for Linux developers. Once was some problem with corrct license setup.

When I used this tool it was midlleware development for STB on the market.

SlickEdit review by Consultant in Airlines/Aviation
Consultant in Airlines/Aviation

"Easy to use.Need impovement "

What do you like best?

Lots of macros which make it easier to use it

What do you dislike?

Show log files as a spreadsheet so I can hide some columns

Log review

Learning about SlickEdit?

* We monitor all SlickEdit reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.