Smarsh

Provides hosted solutions for archiving email, instant messaging and social media platforms such as Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.

Work for Smarsh?

Learning about Smarsh?

Smarsh Reviews

Showing 18 Smarsh reviews
Smarsh review by <span>Jim L.</span>
Jim L.

"Good cost-price for independent advisors"

What do you like best?

For the most part, it just operates in the background to ensure I'm in compliance with my emails to prospects and clients.

What do you dislike?

I had an issue where I wasn't receiving emails, but I was still was able to send them. I would've been without emails for a weekend had I not had access to the web version of Outlook.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As an independent advisor for a small firm, the need for keeping compliant with industry regulations is paramount. At the same time, the need to keep costs down because I'm not working for a large employee firm makes Smarsh a great source to accomplish this requirement!

Smarsh has kept my practice in compliance with recordkeeping of all of my emails.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Smarsh
Smarsh review by <span>Coby P.</span>
Coby P.

"Descent Product - Horrible Customer Service"

What do you like best?

Small firm ease-of-use, approach to method of social media archiving and retrieval display. The ability to have alerts make it easier for small firms without dedicated compliance teams.

What do you dislike?

Horrible customer service, lack of commitment to keep their promises, and making life difficult for those that regularly (used to) recommend their product. As a resale partner they failed to pay an commissions (even though that wasn't why we signed up, just a nice add-on) and inquiries were never responded to. When dealing with a customer account issue, despite having countless emails stating the same thing (and being acknowledged by Smarsh) their internal processes "prevented" them from taking action. They don't care about keeping customers or partners.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Think VERY carefully about doing business with them. The technology is decent, but their customer support and internal operations mean working with them is very difficult. We are in search of a replacement product to recommend to our clients.

Email, Web, Social Media Archive and Retrieval Compliance

What Knowledge Management solution do you use?

Administrator in Financial Services

"Smarsh Recordkeeping Software for Social"

What do you like best?

Native dashboard allows the compliance team to see posts in real format- image & title- which makes recognition easy. I️t also has a keyword search function for more detailed reviews of records.

What do you dislike?

The 17a-4 requirement was difficult to document. The company claimed they were compliant; however, they didn’t have off the shelf documentation. Our team helped them develop something that could be marketable for other asset managers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do intensive & exhaustive testing first. We found that Twitter records were truncated- the 140 characters were missing & instead replaces by an ellipsis. The issue was corrected, but it slowed down our ability to launch & it compromised our confidence in the product.

Social media redorkeeping based on FINRA & SEC requirements. We need posts to be kept in original formats & not editable (Write Once, Read Many WORM). The process was done manually, so a software solution was attractive for scaling.

Administrator in Financial Services

"Bait and Switch Tactics"

What do you like best?

They are decent other than misleading and deceptive practices on pricing.

What do you dislike?

They lied about pricing. They doubled my company pricing after my second year with no warning.

I disputed the charges with my credit card company and had them removed. Smarsh said that if I would pay the excessive price I never agree to that they attempted to charge over the previous six months then they would lower my rate back to what it was initially. I agree to do so and paid them several hundred dollars. Then one year later they double my price again even though they had assured me it would remain at the previous rate indefinitely. Caution......DO NOT TRUST ANYTHING THEY SAY OR DO. I had documented emails and they reverted a company agreement saying they can change rates annually. STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Unless you are okay with lies and a company that is baiting and switching on your pricing then stay far away. Gmail is better.

None. I recommend GMAIL.

Smarsh review by <span>Edie G.</span>
Edie G.

"Necessary tool"

What do you like best?

Smarsh helps keeps me in compliance with my Broker Dealer. They monitor all emails and have a fairly good spam filter. When the spam filter makes errors sometimes it's easy to correct this for future emails.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes their spam filter is way off. As I mentioned sometimes it's a quick fix to sort out spam from real emails. However sometimes Smarsh continues to allow spam into my inbox and other times it marks emails from companies that are supposed to be on my safe list and puts them in my spam folder.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'm pretty sure Smarsh or something like it is required by all or most broker dealers so it's something I use to stay in compliance with the rules at NEXT Financial Group.

I am required to have an account with Smarsh for my work emails. My compliance company requires it.

Administrator in Financial Services

"Poor customer support - deceptive price changes and contracts"

What do you like best?

Platform is easy to use - product is adequate overall. No real complaints here

What do you dislike?

Very deceptive contracts - my company merged with another company that used also used Smarsh. Smarsh tried to envoke an evergreen clause that was very much hidden to say that my contract auto-renewed for another full year and we were obligated to pay the full term even though we would still be clients. After much negotiating, they agreed to merge the plans as it made "business sense" - but then tried to change our domain fee from $15 to $60 a month and my page fee from $0.05 all the way to $0.50.

Since this is a service you need for a long time it is really a bait and switch to draw you in and then just make your rates SKYROCKET since they hold the data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Find an alternative

Just a headache - find a company that cares about you.

Smarsh review by User in Higher Education

"Smarsh review"

What do you like best?

Smarsh is not the best content management system in terms of navigating electronic communications, but it fades only in comparison to Global Relay. It is truly efficient in terms of interface/layout. It is FAR superior to other competitors in terms of load time and ease of sorting/viewing messages, even though its search features are not as effective as Global Relay's.

What do you dislike?

The boolean language is difficult to work with in Smarsh; in particular, the "OR" function is limiting. The number of results displayed per page defaults to 30, far too few, but can be adjusted to 100. That is still less user-friendly than Global Relay, which displays 500 at a time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you don' want to spend the money for Global Relay, this is your second best option!

Smarsh is highly efficient at searching,

Smarsh review by User in Investment Management
User in Investment Management

"Mediocre product, outrageous price, non-existing customer service"

What do you like best?

There's nothing to like about this mediocre, overpriced product

What do you dislike?

Three years ago, we started using Smarsh to archive our emails and website. In less than three years, their price tripled - just last month, our bill went up from $420 to $541, without any changes or improvements to their service. When I called to inquire about the price increase, they informed me that everyone was very busy and that someone would call me back. When I inquired about how long that would take, they told me that someone would call me 'early next week' at the latest (we are talking 3+ days!! When I finally was able to talk with someone, they merely informed me that my bill was correct - no explanation as to why my cost suddenly increased by 25% from one month to the next. During that phone call, I told him that I wasn't willing to pay that much for their mediocre service and that I wanted to cancel our agreement effective immediately. He didn't seem to care and informed me that they will enforce a 90-day cancellation penalty. Moreover, if you want your data back, they will charge you an outrageous amount to get them back.

Do yourself a favor and stay away from this company! You will save yourself a lot of headaches and money. There are many, many alternative service providers - most of them cost a fraction of Smarsh and people actually seem to like their job; unlike anyone working for Smarsh.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do yourself a huge favor and stay away from this company! It will save you a lot of aggravation and money.

The only benefit I can think of is that my firm was in compliance with SEC rules and regulations regarding email and website archiving. They offer a cookie-cutter product as an outrageous price. Website is not intuitive and forget about getting any of your questions answered. Their customer service is non-existing!

Smarsh review by User in Financial Services

"Smarsh"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of email security and encryption provided by Smarsh. Additionally, the technical support is second to none. There is always a representative or specialist available to answer any questions, and generally the turnaround time for all problem resolutions is 24 hours or less.

What do you dislike?

I do not have any particular complaints about Smarsh at this time. It has proven to be an highly effective resource for our practice. Perhaps having access to an online portal would be helpful to learn more about Smarsh's services from an individual standpoint would be helpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend trying Smarsh because of the service level alone.

Encryption of personal data is the main issue that Smarsh helps us address. By using Smarsh's encryption, we are able to quickly send off complete applications to be signed and securely sent back to us for processing. Having handy technical support is also key to a smooth flowing business practice, and Smarsh's tech support team has been nothing but punctual in addressing our concerns.

Administrator in Financial Services

"Pricing Issues and Treatment by Smarsh"

What do you like best?

Email review- The platform is sufficient for my needs.

What do you dislike?

Their policy regarding price increases which seem to happen regularly for reasons that make minimal sense. They evidently have no sympathy for smaller firms and seem to be content to alienate them with their arbitrary price increases. When we raised the issue of our price increasing more than 20%+ over the previous month their response was that the contract that was signed allowed them to raise prices when/however they wanted. Expect horrible business practices in terms of pricing increases. It does not seem that they are interested in working with smaller firms.

Recommendations to others considering the product

My recommendation is to find an alternative vendor for these services.

Web, social media and email archiving. No benefits that would not be better served by having a different vendor.

Smarsh review by Administrator

"Deceptive Money Grab "

What do you like best?

I suppose they have a comprehensive offering.

What do you dislike?

-Pricing is deceptive and changes without warning.

-Difficult, non-intuitive admin interface

-Often charged for services not used, difficult to get a refund.

-Horrible customer service

-Horrible technical service

-They hold your data hostage and charge an exorbitant amount to get it back.

-They prey on advisor fears of the SEC

Recommendations to others considering the product

Run as fast as you can.

Email archiving

Smarsh review by <span>Kwok M.</span>
Kwok M.

"STAY AWAY, OR ELSE YOU WILL PAY A PRICE FOR IT."

What do you like best?

Sales was good in promising everything, but just did not deliver.

What do you dislike?

Their services does not work no matter what they promised. I used their services 2 yrs ago and promised that they can provide what i needed. Well after 6 months working with them, was told that they do really have what i needed. they have even try to get me to do beta testing for them which i agreed and still can't get it together. If you are looking for email security / filtering / monitoring services, go with Edgewave, been using them for 2 years, it is faultless.

Recommendations to others considering the product

STAY AWAY.... YOU HAVE TO STILL PAY FOR WHAT DOES NOT WORK.

Their services just do not work.

Smarsh review by <span>Rich J.</span>
Rich J.

"Smarsh- A Layperson's Nightmare"

What do you like best?

A way to manage compliance responsibilities

What do you dislike?

Not user friendly. Clients don't like it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Smarsh is A solution but needs to be made much more user friendly.

Compliance, Confidentiality

Smarsh review by <span>Holly S.</span>
Holly S.

"Smarshmallows"

What do you like best?

Encryption within my office network. No password protection needed for emails with private information.

What do you dislike?

Hard to set up a new user. Their process to verify their username is difficult.

Smarsh review by G2 Crowd User in Financial Services
G2 Crowd User in Financial Services

"The worst support ever"

What do you like best?

Nothing, support is so bad I have nothing positive to add here.

What do you dislike?

Service is horrible, second day in a row on hold for over 40 minutes, they don't have online chat or support resolutions. Sent a support email 48 hours ago without a response back.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Automate your support, offer online chat.

Just trying to reset password.

Smarsh review by Consultant in Higher Education
Consultant in Higher Education

"My review of Smarsh"

What do you like best?

It is a fun and very easy to use service.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really. I've used lots of different sites before and this one is very good.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it your full consideration and make sure to use all of its features.

I'm solving the problem of trying to reach and connect with more business partners.

Smarsh review by User in Insurance
User in Insurance

"Smarsh is Smart"

What do you like best?

I enjoy the purpose of the application and it’s implementation- very helpful.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the quality control/ availability of customer service.

We are solving compliance problems.

Smarsh review by <span>Michael S.</span>
Michael S.

"Behind the scenes email back up for compliance"

What do you like best?

Achieves multiple business needs and compliance requirements

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything that I dislike about this product. It does what it's supposed to do.

Recommendations to others considering the product

great for email archiving and compliance

Back up and archiving of all email communication for compliance requirements.

Learning about Smarsh?

* We monitor all Smarsh reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.