Smartling

Smartling works with major content platforms and workflows to help leading brands seamlessly integrate translation into their systems.

Work for Smartling?

Learning about Smartling?

Smartling Reviews

Ask Smartling a Question
Showing 22 Smartling reviews
Smartling review by <span>Robert S.</span>
Robert S.
Validated Review
What do you like best?

- In general, Smartling enables my team of 2 (including me) to 'punch above our weight' in terms of what we are able to deliver.

- Our organisation's translation and internationalisation needs have grown exponentially over the last two years and Smartling has been able to scale to support these evolving requirements.

- The SmartMatch technology enables us to re-use or adapt translations we've already had done, where they exist – a huge time- and money-saver.

- When things go wrong as they inevitably do, customer support is good overall – responses are prompt and generally resolve issues to my satisfaction.

- The support I receive from my account manager is second-to-none. They are a huge asset to Smartling and, in turn, to me.

What do you dislike?

- Still not easy enough for other stakeholders to capture context for their translations – they report to me that it's too time consuming. More automated solutions would be appreciated.

- Some stakeholders report to me that the UI is difficult to understand / they perceive that it has a steep learning curve. However, support from Smartling that mitigates this is available.

- Roll out of the new CAT tool could have been better managed. This was seen as a key release by Smartling, but for some users, the disadvantages outweighed the advantages and some important features (in the initial release at least) were missing.

- The upgrade of the Smartling API from v1 to v2 was badly mishandled. Initially we were advised that a hard end date was attached to this, we devoted (expensive) development resource to migrating to v2 and then found out – we weren't told directly, rather the information dribbled out of Smartling – that the hard end date for the v1 API had been indefinitely postponed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Smartling has enabled me to continue to meet a diverse set of growing translation and internationalisation requirements at my current organisation. Moreover, it has effectively paid for itself by enabling the re-use/adaptation of existing translations through its SmartMatch technology. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Smartling enables a two-person translation team to manage the diverse localisation needs of an organisation with ambitious international expansion plans. Smartling's SmartMatch technology is saving OpenTable tens of thousands of dollars a year in translation costs.

0 of 0 found this helpful.
Response from Julia Prause of Smartling

Thank you for your candid and productive feedback, Robert. We appreciate your suggestions very much. We look forward to discussing the things that have not so well for you in more detail to improve your experience.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Smartling
Smartling review by <span>Caroline C.</span>
Caroline C.

Proxy Minimizes Need for Headcount

Validated Review
What do you like best?

We use GDN and Business Docs, and I like that I don't need a whole web team for our localized sites/collateral. I can pretty much play localization manager for web and print content, and Smartling is a convenient tool for project management, content storage, and translations wrapped up in one neat little package. Oh, and love that it integrates with Marketo!

What do you dislike?

I've had quite a few Customer Success/Account Managers over the years. I realize that's inevitable, and there has always been coverage for support, but it'd be nice to have a bit more stability in my points of contact.

Benefits: Less headcount, less need for site maintenance, I have a handy place to find/filter all translated content, translators/editors can communicate without me playing middle-woman, I don't have to copy and paste translations in/out of a CMS/spreadsheet.

0 of 0 found this helpful.

What Translation Management solution do you use?

Smartling review by <span>Mitchell C.</span>
Mitchell C.
Validated Review
What do you like best?

Smartling has been a great choice as our translation service management platform because of their flexibility and ease of use. Smartling's APIs allow us to automatically pull/push translations into our software, making translation management simple and contained. Additionally, the Smartling Translation Services team does an excellent job providing fast, high-quality translations and great support, simplifying the translation management process for our team.

What do you dislike?

I wish that Smartling allowed for more on-page customization so we could translate different marketing pages in specific pages. That said, it is a great platform overall, and I know the team is working on this type of functionality.

Smartling has allowed our team to translate our product into 5 languages quickly and easily, giving us the ability to expand our user base to global, non-English speaking users.

Smartling review by <span>Jason G. L.</span>
Jason G. L.

Speedy, accurate, and agile

Updated On
Validated Review
What do you like best?

The best thing is the ability to go back and forth with a translator on a single string all from within the application. The software is a huge plus, they continue to amaze me with new integrations and development of new features that make it easy to support multiple languages.

What do you dislike?

The most difficult part about Smartling today is the lack of ability to invoice for a bundle of translations. The monthly translation invoice is great for our business-as-usual costs, but when we bring a new language online, we would prefer to pay for that whole bundle as a single lump sum.

We were able to cut our translation time in half and maintain accuracy while improving our collaboration with translators and internal reviewers.

Smartling review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

Seamless translation platform and services

Validated Review
What do you like best?

Platform offers an intuitive and friendly interface for account managers. The people at Smartling who support my team are proactive and responsive.

What do you dislike?

The link provided in Issue emails is a little disorienting. Clicking on it takes you to a pop up in the platform with a specific string and the translators question. Given this 'zoomed in' view and the amount of content we send to translation, I often have very little context for the string in question. I find myself backing out to see the rest of the content sent with the offending string's associated URL to better orient myself to answer the translator's question.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Engage Smartling for their translation services in addition to their platform. Having a single source of contact for both the platform and translation services helps immensely.

We are translating a global ecommerce platform to 3 languages. We have realized unified, synchronized global product launches with the help of Smartling.

0 of 0 found this helpful.
Response from Julia Prause of Smartling

We appreciate your feedback and that the Smartling platform and Language Services have been so valuable to you. It would be great to learn a bit more about your experience so we can help improve that. If you'd like to share more details, please reach out to your dedicated Customer Success and/or Account Manager.

Smartling review by <span>Margot R.</span>
Margot R.
Validated Review
What do you like best?

I like the possibility to see at a glance how much content I have in each workflow we created, and in each step. It is also very practical for me to receive alerts each time new content enters the platform or when translated content is moved from one step to another. The customer service provided is very fast and efficient.

What do you dislike?

I found the fact that our translators have to add the tags in their translation a bit cumbersome for them. Also some characters, as exponents, are not accept by the system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do not hesitate to share your translation strategy with your Smartling technician as he will be able to help you to build Workflows that will suits your needs. Also, tell your Smartling technician which kind of improvements you would like to see in the platform as eh will pass the information towards the product development team.

We previously experienced several difficulties as we translated a first part of the company's website and our process was too time consuming. Smartling helped us a lot to ease this process and make it a lot faster.

0 of 0 found this helpful.
Response from Julia Prause of Smartling

Thank you for your feedback, Margot. We would like to learn a bit more about your experience around having to add tags to translations. Smartling strives to offer an experience that relies heavily on automation to enable high-quality translations at a faster time-to-market. Please reach out to your Customer Success or Account Manager to provide us with more details so we can address your concerns.

Learn more about Smartling

Smartling Videos

Learning about Smartling?

* We monitor all Smartling reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.