Smartsheet

Smartsheet

Smartsheet is an intuitive online project management and collaboration tool. It has a familiar spreadsheet-like interface, coupled with file sharing & workflow.

Work for Smartsheet?

Learning about Smartsheet?

Smartsheet Reviews

Ask Smartsheet a Question
Showing 848 Smartsheet reviews
Smartsheet review by Administrator in Banking
Administrator in Banking
View Original

"Buildable tool to Streamline teamwork"

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Smartsheet
Smartsheet review by Jesse B.
Jesse B.

"Great PM tool!! Simple, Effective and not overpriced!"

What do you like best?

Smart sheet is a great simple PM tool for task management, milestones and road-mapping. There are clean integrations to Microsoft Office and Teams. The alert system also works very well and you have the ability to integrate with AD and JIRA!

What do you dislike?

Smartsheet models itself after Microsoft Office Project. It gets about 60% of the way there. There is a limit to the customizable fields and sometime the advanced options in MS project are just what you need. If you live in the PM world every day and MS project may be better, but if you come and go and manage only a few routine efforts. This is enough!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Need to add more custom tools and continue to allow for custom calendars, dependancies, labeling and predecessors.

Solving PM tracking for teams who do just a few project but are not full PM's. This tool is a great middle ground and easy to understand.

What Project Management solution do you use?

Smartsheet review by Jeff N.
Jeff N.

"Excel on steroids. However, Smartsheet has turned into Slowsheet."

What do you like best?

End-user development. This is an online spreadsheet, a 21st Century version of Excel on steroids. As a spreadsheet it allows very flexible form & function, the most flexible I've ever seen in an app. I'm also impressed by how well this company executes its vision. It's solid. I've only needed tech support once and I got a reply within 3 hours.

What do you dislike?

Slowest app to load, sometimes takes several reloads for app to become available. Slower than any other app I use. Downtime for maintenance. Have to log back in after maintenance. Adertisement banners appearing across top of page more and more. Can't merge cells. Did I mention it's s-l-o-o-o-o-w?

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider Airtable as well.

Many. Smartsheet is a smart online spreadsheet, so I use it anywhere I need to create custom tables, lists, or spreadsheets.

Smartsheet review by Myriam G.
Myriam G.

"SmartSheet is in fact pretty smart"

What do you like best?

You can really choose how you wish to organize your content. If you like setting priorities, or colour coding, or different views compared from list views to card views for status.

I like how you can access it at home, because we often have a good work from home policy.

It is clear and obvious as to what the priorities are when classifying the importance.

We can also customize it to how one individual prefers, so everyone can set their own layout as they wish.

What do you dislike?

It's not very visual, which is my only complaint. I am a very visual person and would prefer to have some hierarchy in terms color contrast, playing with type weights etc. Also it does not update in real time you must remember to refresh to see changes. You can see when other people are viewing the sheet - like Google Docs, and your work is saved even if you refresh after, but we tend to write similar comments and then delete after because we have the same thought.

Collaborative project management, people can add in their current tasks and comment on others. We realized that the benefits are that we can work on SmartSheet outside of our company network, and is accessible anywhere with wifi.

Smartsheet review by Leigh Ann L.
Leigh Ann L.

"Takes organization and planning to new heights"

What do you like best?

The best part about Smartsheet is the options of sheets. Gannt charts are the most traditional way to manage a project but with Smartsheet you are not limited to that. Card view makes for a great meeting.

What do you dislike?

Smartsheet can be very complex if you don't have any training with it. Sometimes, it feels like you need a class just to be able to use it.

Smartsheet has taken my project management to a new and more visible level. I can show others what I am doing and they can collaborate to the level that i allow them to. It is good to get feedback from others and to be able to see just how much they have accomplished. Helps delegate tasks in a way that everyone involved knows just how far everyone else has gotten with their tasks.

Smartsheet review by Megan G.
Megan G.

"Amazing tool if you manage a team that handles multiple projects!"

What do you like best?

What I love best about Smartsheet is that I can create dashboards and reports to see all sheets at a glance. I have five direct reports who manage at least 10-15 sheets at a time, so this makes it very easy to keep up with all moving parts. I also like that our account manager is reachable when we have questions or would like a demo on certain features or functions we are not using, but plan to.

What do you dislike?

I can't say that I dislike any part of Smartsheet right now. I only see benefits. I wish that there was more info on how we can better integrate it with some of our APIs like SFDC, Cvent or Marketo. There might be that info out there, but I am not aware of it or not looking in the right spot.

Communication with multiple team members on multiple projects. Live, real-time updates. Easy formulas for expense reporting and tracking. We have also seamlessly integrated this with American Express Travel as a way of eliminating multiple email threads daily. It makes us more efficient.

Smartsheet review by Chris M.
Chris M.

"Smartsheet is great, but only for certain use cases"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that Smartsheet provides alerts, approvals & actions workflows built into the application. This is handy and can be established in templates to provide some consistency. I'm also a fan of the Charts implementation. If only the Dashboards were better they'd really shine.

What do you dislike?

The project management functionality is honestly woeful. Before it can be considered as a true Project & Portfolio Management tool, there are some fundamental gaps that need to be addressed. At this stage, if you are running more than a few projects, have professional PMs in your employ or have a global team, then look elsewhere.

Locales are practically useless, as everything is treated as UTC. If any changes are made (e.g. new sheet, row, or updated cell), depending on where you are it can show up as the previous (or even next day) because it assumes you are at (UTC 0). I'm in UTC +10 so if I make changes at 8 AM, it's recorded as yesterday. Not good enough for project management or any reporting I've ever been involved in.

Smartsheet also ignores anything other than US date formats in some situations. Even if I set up my profile (and locale), it sometimes still assumes that 9/5/18 means 5th September, instead of 9th May. You can see how that would be a problem in reports :-(

Throw in the inability to set project baselines, associate more than one resource to a task, create programs of work without having to reconfigure the very expensive Control Center add-on and the need to occasionally manually refresh dashboard data and it's certainly not a product I'd recommend to anyone looking for a serious project management tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd definitely review the Smartsheet Community website before going ahead. Read what others are saying, what is missing, the direction Smartsheet are headed in and weigh this up against what you're looking to get out of a tool like this.

Smartsheet is embedded in our company. There are many people using Smartsheet to record and disseminate a lot of data, so it's difficult to quantify or qualify realised value. But I really do not see anything that could not be accomplished with Office 365, Power BI and SharePoint (which we already have). Throw in Project Server (about the same cost as Smartsheet Control Center) and you have a much better solution.

Smartsheet review by Alicia V.
Alicia V.

"If you use shared spreadsheets in your company, you need SmartSheet"

What do you like best?

I looove that multiple people can be in a spreadsheet at the same time, updating their respective pieces, without having to save and close every time someone else needs to access it. Plus, if you're in it at the same time as someone else and they update it, it notifies you so that you can refresh and see what's new!

What do you dislike?

I haven't found anything I dislike about it, yet. It's easy to use, intuitive, user-friendly, and an excellent tool for our business.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your company uses spreadsheets for anything, I highly recommend SmartSheet. It's collaborative, real-time functionality is a must for any business!

My company is global, so SmartSheet allows team members all across the world to utilize the same data. It's a great tool, especially, for tracking workflow steps that many people are involved in. We can get on a conference call and review the status of things while anyone can simultaneously be updating it as we talk.

Smartsheet review by Bill H.
Bill H.

"Ultra User Friendly"

What do you like best?

Ultra user friendly - very quick to set up new solutions and on-board new users - any one can use it. Collect data via simple webforms in a few clicks.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really, its 100% fit for purpose. Would be nice if there was the option to link sheets as relational databases. Like most software vendors they quietly move features up the subscription ladder, but its basically good value.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a go - a ten sheet subscription is not expensive and you upgrade or downgrade any time.

Smartsheet is an ultra user friendly tool to plug gaps in existing software and processes. Even if you intend to fix those gaps its so quick to set up and on-board new users that it makes an excellent interim solution. As permanent solutions we have a company diary on smartsheet, use it for KPI tracking and for project to-do lists. Using it as a personal to-do list with the mobile app is v good.

Smartsheet review by John B.
John B.

"Smartsheet boasts our productivity"

What do you like best?

We like how easy it is to share documents with our team and the ability to access the information from any device (laptop, phone, tablet) and from anywhere. Excel and Project files import seamlessly and are simple to use.

What do you dislike?

The ability to format documents isn't quite where we'd like it to be. It has good aspects, such as conditional formatting, etc., but some of the more advanced formatting and the ability to filter around these is lacking. Graphing is not where it should be either. Also, we like Excel's format of multiple tabs in a workbook. There is probably similar functionality in Smartsheet using workspaces, etc. - need to look into that more!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very easy to use and reap the benefits of collaboration - take some of the training though. There is a lot of functionality built in and it isn't always obvious!

Project tracking is great - easy to set up and use. It doesn't have the industrial strength of MS Project but, in some ways that is the advantage. It is intuitive to use and easy to navigate. We track consulting projects, internal projects, and client deliverables - really saves us a lot of time.

Smartsheet review by Chase M.
Chase M.

"Smartsheet is a competent resource that can be used by large and small businesses alike"

What do you like best?

I appreciate the ease in collaboration. We work on several large construction projects and the collaboration aspect has helped our productivity. There are many different file formats that can be added to "Workspace" which is helpful when sharing with multiple departments. They seem to constantly be updating the software with new features which is encouraging to us.

What do you dislike?

Licenses are too expensive for the product. We also utilize a Corporate Google Drive with unlimited storage. To me, collaborating on the Google drive are more functional due the vast array of apps. For our company's purposes, it seems to me that this product could easily be replaced by a cheaper productivity software (via the Google apps store).

Recommendations to others considering the product

The product is simple and easy to use. It does have limitations on what it can do and can be irritating when a large number of individuals are contributing the same document. We are comparing this software to Google that updates in real time with multiple users contributing to the same document. This would be a very helpful feature to add to this product.

We are a charter school district with 74 campuses. We have several large projects occurring at the same time. Smartsheet is largely what our construction and real estate teams utilize as a productivity software. We have been using the software for 2 years and the departments that currently use Smartsheet on a daily basis are happy with the results.

Smartsheet review by Delores A.
Delores A.

"Excellent Project Management Tool"

What do you like best?

The best thing about Smartsheet is how easy it is to share single sheets. In my line of work, I often have a need to share single spreadsheets with stakeholders, and with Smartsheet it is so simple. While other applications offer simply sharing options, they don't include all of the functionality of Smartsheet, and this is what sets it apart. Also, I really appreciate the card view in Smartsheet. In the past, I used Trello pretty exclusively, and when I switched to Smartsheet then there was nothing like that. The card view is great for projects where we use Agile.

What do you dislike?

The main problem with Smartsheet is that there is no real-time data sync. If you want to save something, you need to physically click Save. In the past, this has cost me several hours worth of work, as I did not click Save before exiting the sheet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would take some time to get to know all of the features of Smartsheet. There is definitely a learning curve, and I don't believe that all of the videos and other online resources really give you the full picture. If you have the opportunity to enroll in some formal Smartsheet training, you should take that opportunity.

We are using Smartsheet to organize and track the time we spend on development projects. In the past, we have struggled to answer questions about how long our products take to develop, and organizing our work in Smartsheet is giving us a clearer understanding of how long things take. Plus, we always know where we stand with projects, and so do our supervisors.

Smartsheet review by Laura C.
Laura C.

"Smartsheet helps my team keep our projects on track. "

What do you like best?

Smartsheet allows for me to keep track of my individual schedule in a very clear way. I love the calendar feature that lets me see what my responsibilities are for the week. It's also easy to see each project's timeline & who is working on it at any given time.

What do you dislike?

On my personal calendar, if a project is not completed, but I'm viewing the next week, I am not notified that I have an overdue task. I wish there was a better notification system for when something is overdue.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend Smartsheet - it's very easy to use & I've found it extremely helpful, especially the personalized calendar feature.

I work for a publishing company & there are many people involved on each project. Smartsheet allows us to manage each book project as a group.

Smartsheet review by sansern k.
sansern k.

"It's smart as it's named. Great for a company to work faster with great productivity."

What do you like best?

It's make the communication via the team achieve the goal via the company plan. Which is actually really hard to find one to compare with. Especially for an owner of the company having everything run through with progress and capable to be ackonwledge that the task has been done by right person. I beleive that's what define team. And that's where Smartsheet stand out for me.

What do you dislike?

MAny main funtion which should have been reqursted for quite a long time which should have been on the top list still on the roadmap for too long such as Vlookup combination, timestamp and mutiple answers from a form. Which somehow make the SS sounds not complete. And it's very hard at the beging if you didn't have a patient enough or didn't have a great logical mind set; This is not for your company.

Recommendations to others considering the product

More of the basic request need to be done soon. As I felt you guys want hook up with the lager group company instead of the every personal use which will then be a better, form my perspective on the return customer.

Classic case for every company I believe the folllow up provess and the lack of communication is one of the key thing. Team need this improvement and this has been improve since using. Along with transfering data from team to team.

Smartsheet review by Alexandra S.
Alexandra S.

"Great for organizing spreadsheets and sharing with team"

What do you like best?

I really like that the sheets in Smartsheet are treated like spreadsheets and that you can select multiple line items at a time to copy elsewhere or to even figure out the sum of numbers.

I also like that I can make comments on a line item and email it to a coworker so that they can follow what I am referring to. I also use the "reminder" function on line items and appreciate the emails reminder it sends at the time I specify.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that when multiple people are viewing a sheet at the same time, the changes are not real time. The changes don't "save" until you click "save".

It seems like Smartsheets is always scheduling "offline" maintenance which hinders users from using it during that time. Luckily, they usually do this on weekends.

The sheets can sometimes take a little time to load so I usually have multiple tabs opened with different Smartsheets so that I can easily click back and forth to view the information quicker.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for tracking numbers and organizing other information. But not a great tool for team collaboration or workflows.

Ease of tracking sales and using the category functions to better sort through specific events. It is great to use as a database of clients and their contact information. Our team benefits from using the comments and alert functions to communicate with coworkers or just as reminders to ourselves.

Smartsheet review by Pradeep H.
Pradeep H.

"Smart tool for research project management!!"

What do you like best?

Not as complicated and cumbersome as MS Project, which tries too hard to apply complicated logic to your project plans. Smartsheet simply gives you the ability to create plans of any level of complexity. Conditional formatting allows easy review of start/finish dates and who is assigned what. Collaboration is easy and effective as you can share with different levels of permission, and export only those elements you want others to see and work with. Having the product in the cloud makes access simple and reliable. Smartsheet is having a wonderful user-interface experience and has a good tutorial feature as well.

What do you dislike?

Creating a backup is a challenge. It's not intuitive and involves way too many menus and steps. There should be a simple way to create a backup offline for audit or versioning purposes. There needs to be an auto-save feature. I've had new collaborators lose their work because they forgot to manually save. For a product that operates with the ease of Google Docs in the cloud, the expectation is that there is an auto save feature. The 10-minute reminder message is not sufficient.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please use this wonderful software. It will ease your research tasks and helps to manage research projects effectively.

I am using this software for research purpose only. I have not used for business.

Smartsheet review by Caitlin K.
Caitlin K.

"Great organizational tool for various needs!"

What do you like best?

I love using Smartsheet to keep inter-departmental communication wide open in my organization. I manage email marketing, but other departments (development, outreach, audience education, School) all use email as well. I love keeping track of who's sending emails & when; this way, it's way easier to understand our unsubscribe rates.

What do you dislike?

I think it's a little simple and could be more user-friendly. I work in a non-profit where my coworkers and I really don't have time to learn a new software. It's also tough to share sheets with less tech-savvy co-workers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

An initial tutorial to new users is a very good idea. I wish that I'd been trained on Smartsheet's intricacies, and I'd venture to guess my co-workers would love a functionality training period.

It's super helpful for keeping us on deadline with our direct mail and email campaigns. We use the color-coding feature that makes our rows turn a very threatening red when we're behind schedule, and it works very well :) I'm also using it every time I need to create a signup sheet. Those lil checkboxes are a real charm when I need to assign different tasks to different people.

Smartsheet review by Amanda W.
Amanda W.

"Easy-to-use and Efficient Software for Team Collaboration on Project Sheets"

What do you like best?

I like how managing huge projects becomes much easier when Smartsheet is being used to manage all the small tasks. I especially like how you can see who is viewing the same spreadsheet as you at the same time, and how you can see that someone has made a change to the sheet you are viewing right when they do so.

What do you dislike?

I do wish that one someone makes a change on a sheet that someone else is viewing, that this change could be seen live - as in one viewer could see another user typing and changing a particular cell. This idea stems from how easy and collaborative Google sheets, docs, presentations can be.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Smartsheet is a very useful tool in managing any size project you should have. It's very collaborative in that if two people are viewing the same sheet, they will be able to see each other viewing the sheet. Additionally, if one person was to make a change to the sheet and hit save, the other viewer would receive a notification of the other person doing so. My only complaint is that these changes are not live - meaning that they do not show up on another person's screen as the other person is typing. However, this is still a software I would recommend.

We are managing huge projects by using Smartsheet. Smartsheet allows us to make as many smaller tasks within a bigger task, making Smartsheet a very powerful tool for business professionals.

Smartsheet review by Samantha O.
Samantha O.

"Share Knowledge Easily"

What do you like best?

I enjoy using Smartsheet because it allows you easily share information and create a database to pull from. It is much like excel and you can even import and export excel files. It lets you create a sheet custom to what you need and can share that information with people as fellow contributors or just a user getting the information.

What do you dislike?

It is not always intuitive, sometimes the headers are hard to adjust. When you pull excel files the formatting can be a little off sometimes. The report builders are awesome since you can pull specific information from multiple places but they can be a bit tricky to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I like that its so easy to share lots of important information . I can track where inventory is on the road all the time.

Being able to share information in multiple cities/countries.

Smartsheet review by Yohan A.
Yohan A.

"Hojas de calculo que sirven para algo mas que sumar"

What do you like best?

Excelente herramienta para seguimiento de proyectos, permite llevar control de avance de tareas, asignarlas a distintas personas y saber si las terminaron o no. Las opciones de agregar comentarios y subir archivos son geniales, en mi opinión la mejor herramienta para control de proyectos que existe actualmente,

What do you dislike?

La opción de recibir alertas cuando se realizan actualizaciones es un poco confusa, las notificaciones muchas veces no se entienden muy bien.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Se debe conocer bien la herramienta y su uso para poder sacarle el máximo provecho, es importante que todos lo usuarios que vayan a interactuar con ella tengan la destreza necesaria para explicar bien sus tareas y asignarlas de forma adecuada así como indicar cuando completan las que les son asignados a ellos.

Seguimiento y desarrollo de proyectos para implementacion de tiendas de e-commerce, desde el levantamiento de datos hasta la salida en linea, ademas para asignacion de tareas de desarrollo y soporte. Se usa para control y seguimiento de la realizacion de tareas por parte de los distintos miembros del equipo asi como para la realizacion de revisiones y control de calidad en sitios web.

Smartsheet review by Shesha K.
Shesha K.

"Love this product!"

What do you like best?

Excellent reporting opportunities, collaboration is fantastic, capability to create sites. Fairly easy to use, there are many public forums dedicated to answering questions along with the SmartSheet Community forum. Great interface with other products, Excel, Outlook Etc. Ability to collaborate with colleagues even if they are not licensed users. Pretty much all the functionality of Excel and MORE! It really makes the conditional formatting a heck of a lot easier!

What do you dislike?

They kind of get you on the "plans", for instance if you don't have a certain level plan you don't have access to all of the features. You are also only allowed so many sheets on the lower level plan. You can not update/change a template you have to re save as new.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This product is not necessarily a replacement for Excel, but pretty darn close! It offers so much more, it is a happy blend of MS Project and Excel in my opinion, with a smaller price tag than MS Project.

Gathering Data, tracking events, and overall project management.

Smartsheet review by Matthew W.
Matthew W.

"A Hybrid of Excel and Project"

What do you like best?

The user interface has a good balance between simplicity and user control. It allows the user to control to the level that they want to and then compensates accordingly. It can provide a very simple user experience for someone who just wants something simple and straightforward but can also provide a lot of control for a user that needs customization or requires more power.

I also appreciate the collaborative functions that are built into the program.

What do you dislike?

There are always trade-offs to be made. By creating a flexible user experience, the program is not really suitable for the extreme power users who need complete control and would like to implement complex functions into their project scheduling. A program like Excel would be better for this kind of a user.

Additionally, the collaboration tools are nice, but they are only really helpful if the entire team buys into using them. They do not really provide a great deal of us if few or only part of the team is using them.

Project management

Project scheduling

Smartsheet review by Eric M.
Eric M.

"Solid App For Ad-Hoc Project Planning"

What do you like best?

I enjoy using this for quick and dirty ad-hoc timeline setup. It is aesthetically appealing and allows for smaller project and product roadmap creation cleanly and carefully. As well, we can very easily ensure that all is forecasted and managed without issue. The largest need we had for this was resource forecasting, and the use of the software for "what-if" scenarios was phenomenal. We would love to use this more; however, the difficulty of initial project setup limits that a bit.

What do you dislike?

Would be great if it didn't have the learning curve there. The goal here is to ensure that we can get things done.Also, I would prefer a less aggressive onboarding process (i.e., please give me the ability to skip the onboarding at this time to ensure that I can more easily just jump in and use the product. Finally, the setup of projects is a bit time-consuming and without a proper governance and strategy could pose issues for smaller teams.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Solid project management and forecasting tool. Would use for most projects at this point. Well done there.

Quick ad-hoc project management and robust visualizations for team and task management capabilities. We have also seen some of our traditional PM experiences more quickly implemented with the tool for collaboration with clients. We have also seen stellar ROI once we involved out external customers in our SmartSheet at the project level (using it more for dashboarding that anything so they can quickly see status).

Smartsheet review by User

"I wish I had time to learn every feature"

What do you like best?

Smartsheet is an amazing product. It's so feature-rich that I'm constantly learning how to better use it. Its a great tool for communication and team collaboration.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I've found about Smartsheet that I truly dislike is with notifications. It will send you email notifications when edits to your sheet are made (cool), but it will send you email notifications when you edit (annoying...I know what I did). I've searched for a way to shut these off and can't figure out how, so I'm guessing thats not a thing.

There are two specific area's I wish Smartsheet would improve in. 1. Better integrations with the sources of my information. I find that I'm constantly copying and pasting details into Smartsheet from other sources. There has to be a better way to reduce all this manual work. 2. A more elegant way to connect sheets. Think more like Microsoft Excel, where you have a workbook and sheets. The collection of documents via folders in Smartsheet isn't as great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

At least give it a try to see if it will solve your project communication and collaboration problems. I do suggest spending a little bit of time to learn how to use it to its fullest. The time investment will be well worth it.

Project tracking, communication, and team collaboration.

Smartsheet review by Farid S.
Farid S.

"The Trial Was Very Promising But I Stopped Using it and Forgot About It"

What do you like best?

I trialed Smartsheets' free edition roughly a couple of years ago when testing different platforms for project management solutions. What I liked the most about it was that it was a good alternative to Microsoft Project, at least at a low level; I could easily create gantt charts that could be shared with others online and I even used it for a couple of internal projects.

In other words, I would call this Microsoft Project cloud edition, which I later found out existed, for roughly $10/mo. However, the need for it dwindled and I went back to Microsoft Project's Windows application edition.

What do you dislike?

It's a bit basic and now that Microsoft Project offers an online version, I'm more inclined to give Microsoft another shot because their product is known for being far more robust than Smartsheet, though I wouldn't rule Smartsheet out completely. I suppose you are catering to two different crowds here: your project management experts vs your lower level professionals looking for something basic to get things going without the convolution of MS-Project.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give Smartsheet a try before moving onto Microsoft Project. I would say that it is a good introductory way to determine whether your teams are ready to move onto further steps of project management.

As I mentioned earlier, I used Smartsheet for smaller projects, specifically for those who required virtual teams who were not used to Microsoft Project. With Smartsheets, I could share the data with them online, rather than have to create reports every time with Microsoft.

Smartsheet review by Sharon K.
Sharon K.

"Smartsheet"

What do you like best?

Pretty simple to use. We used it to consolidate all the different campaigns throughout the year. Can put in notes easily. Sort. Links to the campaigns. Etc.

What do you dislike?

I haven't used it as a spreadsheet, like an Excel type of spreadsheet. I still use Excel for most of my spreadsheet type work. So can't say how it is as a heavy duty spreadsheet. Sometimes, though, it loads a bit slow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I haven't used as, e.g., an Excel spreadsheet type spreadsheet, but it is pretty easy to get in there and use as a space for collaboration and get quick and easy updates from team if needed.

Somewhere central to consolidate all the different campaigns for everyone's use and to view. Also to put in comments/notes with quick updates on, e.g., traffic, etc.

Smartsheet review by Sara L.
Sara L.

"Smartsheet is invaluable for managing our clients financial audit prep and workflow."

What do you like best?

Smartsheet looks and acts like Excel, which makes it easy to onboard clients and users.

We have pulled all staff out of emails when conversing with clients and out of Excel for their client checklists. Real-time collaboration has improved our efficiency and stress level! I'm not afraid of small details falling through the cracks and it has made managing remote staff a dream..

What do you dislike?

I wish we could move documents from one row to another.

No Cmd Z to undo.

The app goes down quite a bit, which is worrisome. They have a website to check if there are any issues that we use often.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just try it. 30 days free is enough time to get hooked.

CPA firms are simply not stepping up with online solutions for annual "PBC"s (Provided by client audit request lists) As a contracted controller, Smartsheet has enabled me to automate this process from the client side of the table.

Managing my team and each client's outsourced bookkeeping workflow. Engaging the client online has kept "emotions" out of "private" emails and enabled management to get a perfect picture of where a weekly/monthly engagement is and what the problems are

Smartsheet review by faras k.
faras k.

"One of the best tools to manage multiple projects"

What do you like best?

- history of changes per cell, plus the user who made the change

- multiple views for different purposes

- sharing the sheet with a link to multiple users

- assign and track tasks for multiple people.

- customized notifications

- mobile app is very useful

- time management and cost analysis

What do you dislike?

very few things to dislike about smartsheet, it feels slower when overloaded with data. mobile app view is not easy to look at.

Recommendations to others considering the product

its an amazing tool for tracking huge projects, assets, and simple to do lists

assigning tasks to users, tracking all project under each department, tracking company owned assets.

made an overall sheet that takes data from project sheets and provide an overall view of all projects. created a sheet to assign equipment to employees to better assign work based on who have what.

Smartsheet review by Shalise Q.
Shalise Q.

"Smartsheet- the best collaborative tool I've ever used. "

What do you like best?

Smartsheet is the tool I've been looking for my whole life but didn't know it existed until I began working at my current company. It's real-time collaboration takes away hundreds of emails, while everyone is able to stay on the same page. It is the first thing I pull up after I open my work email every single day. The notifications and reminders are amazing and make project management so much more streamlined.

What do you dislike?

There is really nothing I have found limiting on the product apart from certain features I don't have access to because of the type of plan I am on. I was able to go to a training and view and play with these few

Recommendations to others considering the product

Absolutely give it a try. The community aspect on their website is phenomenal, and you can really leverage how you're using it against how others are using it.

Real-time collaboration without multiple emails, reminders for tasks, notifications when items have changed or tasks have been completed or something is overdue.

Smartsheet review by User in Computer Software

"Smartsheet - A smarter way to manage and report both the individual and the team work."

What do you like best?

This tool has a deluge of useful features. Many minute features like inserting image to a cell, incorporating contacts or drop-downs in a cell are very handy and beneficial. The best feature is the team collaboration and it allows users to see the history of individual cells and manage the work in a smarter way.

What do you dislike?

There are a lot of formatting options so sometimes it becomes a bit tricky to figure out what a particular formatting means. So there should be view-pane in one side of the screen for displaying the meaning and reference of each and every formatting style. Otherwise, the product has all the necessary and useful features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This tool has all the features a user can think of. Explore the features of setting reminders, collaborating with the team and setting different permission levels for collaborators. It also gives an option of organizing the work in a hierarchical way. Also explore the option of importing data from other applications. It also gives many templates for creating sheets.

This product helps in work collaboration and is utterly beneficial. It helps in improving the productivity. The notification feature is very useful and advantageous, it gives users the option to select the kind of notification they want to see like mobile, email notification etc. Moreover, different views it offers are also beneficial like the calendar view.

Smartsheet review by Stephanie R.
Stephanie R.

"GREAT, but definitely confusing at times"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that everything is in one place and multiple collaborators can contribute and be informed of exactly what was done within the project.

What do you dislike?

It can be confusing for new users, which means everyone needs training. However, there are a lot of articles and videos on the internet that can help you understand how to use the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This tool is great if you have a project manager that completely understands it's capabilities and teaches their team how to utilize it successfully. Definitely watch YouTube videos that help you better understand how to use the software properly.

Currently utilizing it to evaluate current processes regarding enrollment and retention, which allows multiple people in multiple locations to work together and share various metrics, data, documents, and insight in one central place.

Smartsheet review by Christina O.
Christina O.

"Awesome product for so much more than just project management!"

What do you like best?

There are so many things I could list that I like about SmartSheet, but I will start with versatility. With most project management solutions, they are designed to serve that specific purpose. SmartSheet takes it a step further in that you can use it for surveys, to collect a myriad of information, generate forms that are accessible online where non-users can input information that translates to a spreadsheet and so much more.

What do you dislike?

The only thing that I can think of that I dislike about SmartSheet is that you cannot multi-select items in a drop-down in a sheet. This was requested by multiple users some time ago and still has not been implemented in spite of the demand. Releases seem to be infrequent and when they do come out, they want you to upgrade your subscription plan to have access to them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

SmartSheet is not a comprehensive project management solution similar to MS Project or others that strictly do project tracking. If you are looking for some thing that is easy to jump into and start planning without a significant amount of training, SmartSheet is a great choice. There are a lot of features that can be discovered and utilized once you get a better grip on the product.

We were looking for a cloud-based solution that allowed us to manage projects initially. What we found was that SmartSheet allowed us to do that, but a lot more. We use it to track employment applications, suggestions for improvement, social media content, training registrations, employee role assignments just to name a few. While we have not delved much into collaboration yet, we would like to explore those features in the near future.

Smartsheet review by Mike T.
Mike T.

"Smartsheet for project management"

What do you like best?

I like that it gives several options to display content. There are multiple ways to view the same content, which is good for different people. Some view the graphical screen better while others find the spreadsheet view is better for them.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the Googe Drive option as it is set up. It connects to Google Drive, however, if someone on the team edits the Google document, the document would need to be reuploaded.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Can share with others to edit document easier than other companies.

I love being able to house all the "TO DO" list items on one screen for all team members to view.

Smartsheet review by Brian H.
Brian H.

"Easy Gantt charts (finally)!"

What do you like best?

The tool is really useful for setting up a detailed schedule for any project. You can easily set up dependencies to keep track of deadlines and start dates for each individual piece of your project.

What do you dislike?

The Gantt chart doesn't export very easily, but it is useful to look at while you're editing. It's hard to share though.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Shop around. There are several products that offer kind-of-similar features. It's tricky to end up with the software that's just right for your needs.

I am working on a multi-year pilot launch of a new product, and it's been mind-bogglingly complex and too much to organize in a Word document or Excel sheet. This keeps everything in one place, with priorities and deadlines built in.

Smartsheet review by Ben E.
Ben E.

"Smartsheet works for the right job"

What do you like best?

Smartsheet's collaboration and ease of use are the biggest benefits. It's easy to set up project plans and work on them collaboratively. This is the biggest advantage over MS Project. Additionally, the library of templates has also been helpful, and overall it's very easy to get up and running with project plans.

What do you dislike?

The biggest challenge for project management is the inability to split task resourcing. The workaround is mediocre and I hope it's something they address. Additionally, the inability to independently format reports (you're constrained to formatting on the base sheets) is another disadvantage.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a good platform that fills a specific need for collaborating on project planning and management. It's not without it's limitations, but is well worth it.

We needed a collaborative platform for project management. Smartsheet has filled the need and we've generally been very happy with the service.

Smartsheet review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Name does justice : Smarter way to manage work - Smartsheet"

What do you like best?

I like how you can select different types of work sheets, like from regular task management list to project timelines. Also I was impressed by feature of conditional formatting, setting rules like highlighting rows based on certain criterion. It is easy to share sheet with other users and it’s great that you have flexibility to grant them the access level

What do you dislike?

It’s nice they have report feature but they can do better at it and can provide a small explanation on how to use it or show some examples in action.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have lot of tickets and issues you deal with in daily basis this till comes very handy. Also if you plan to share your sheets with clients and other team members this tools is good to use

With Fast moving client requests and large team sizes, smartsheet comes in handy for us all to be on top of issues and tickets. We can check status of tickets at one place and also comment on it at same time.

Smartsheet review by Administrator

"Easy to use and implement"

What do you like best?

It's incredibly easy to use and it's fast to get users up and running. Due to the ease-of-use, employees can create their own solutions without any collaboration from IT.

What do you dislike?

Smartsheet is experiencing some growing pains. There seem to be more frequent minor service issues, but to their credit, they are great about keeping their customers informed when issues arise and quickly addressing them. Some features are only available for an additional fee to the regular pricing, e.g., pivot tables, control center, etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look at the Youtube videos that Smartsheet has created as well as other to get a feel for the software. If you are considering this for project management, determine what features are essential as Smartsheet is not as powerful as MS Project or P6 Primavera.

Smartsheet has greatly enhanced our project management. It makes it super easy to track progress in real time even when there are many team members that have to provide input. It also makes it relatively simple to create summary or dashboards for key project metrics.

Smartsheet review by Trina A.
Trina A.

"SmartSheet smart choice "

What do you like best?

Very easy to use, no training required to implement! Great way to manage work flow, tasks due, assign work, and complete projects that involve teams...actually great for personal office management too. We do not use for complex systems, but great for project management and task focused objectives.

What do you dislike?

The ease of use for our specific needs makes this a simple but effective tool. To have project ownership means the user has great access to creating additional sheets for personal tasks etc., however, it becomes a little expensive for a small business once you start adding managers to own their sections if you want them to be able to add sheets as sub sections to the main sheet they are using.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very easy to use for project management

Using this for workflow management, assigning tasks and project management by team leaders. The leaders have found it to be very useful, and when they share with individuals, each member can contribute to their own project while the manager feeds upwards to the main project. As a result, we are seeing a focus on detail, not missing items or overlooking critical areas, while increasing productivity based on accurate reporting between colleagues, fewer missed deadlines, projects managed more efficiently.

Smartsheet review by Britney M.
Britney M.

"Smartsheet is an easy-to-use spreadsheet tool."

What do you like best?

I like that you can easily create spreadsheets, workflows, and Gantt charts with Smartsheets. You can set up email notifications so that Smartsheet alerts you whenever changes have been made to a sheet you are collaborating on, making managing your workflow more seamless.

What do you dislike?

For our purposes, Smartsheet has worked very well. It is limited in what it does, but it's essentially a cloud-based spreadsheet platform and it does its core functions well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Smartsheet is a no-frills system, but it does its core functions well. If you are looking for a pretty user interface, it may not be for you, but it is great if you are ok with its very basic UI.

We utilize Smartsheet to maintain status reports for each of our clients, create Gantt charts for planning projects, maintain notes from meetings, and maintain budget spreadsheets. Numerous employees collaborate on any given sheet and we utilize Smartsheet to assign roles and communicate our workflow.

Smartsheet review by Erin H.
Erin H.

"Project management tool "

What do you like best?

I like the gantt chart view that is visible in Smartsheets especially once contingencies and rules are created. I think this product integrates well with the Google business ecosystem. For the most part it functions that a powerful google sheet or spreadsheet with built in formatting and field options with the capability of creating rules so you don't have to spend your time formatting aesthetics or entering as many formulas likes excel.

What do you dislike?

Smartsheets is fairly easy to manipulate, however to be an expert you either need to take a class or spend a lot of time in the tool.

This is a project management tool that is great to use even if I'm the only individual looking at the sheet. I can keep things organized and it's easy to reference. It's even better than there's just one or more contributors who are involvved in project planning or execution.

Smartsheet review by Tatianna H.
Tatianna H.

"Smartsheet Versatility You Need"

What do you like best?

The best part of Smartsheet is the ability to add attachments to a sheet. Unlike Google Sheets or Excel, Smartsheets is more versatile in tracking and offers better options when sharing with colleagues or clients. Similar to Airtable, but better.

What do you dislike?

It is very plain and looks complicated to use even though it's not.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can use the free version/trial, but like all things, it's limited. Currently, pricing is about $14/month which isn't bad, and you can have unlimited collaborators. If you're looking for something similar but with a freemium model, try Airtable.

In the midst of integrating Marketo, our consultants share smartsheets with us to help track progress of tasks and communicate what needs to be done. It's also a good way of sharing documents.

Smartsheet review by Mary B.
Mary B.

"Smartsheet"

What do you like best?

I love the similarities to Excel. The click-and-drag formula copy, the ability to Command-Z undo, and copy-paste are all very useful, albeit simple, things.

What do you dislike?

I wish I could click and drag to easily link the rows using predecessors. I would like to click the first (top) predecessor and drag it all the way down the predecessor column to link all rows, but that doesn't work because the lines immediately beneath the row titles shouldn't link to the title rows. So, I have to manually fix that problem by linking the lines immediately beneath the row titles to the row before the row title.

Our previous timeline software was not working for us. We switched from that software because the timeline function was glitchy and had several features that we disliked, including:

- No ability to undo (like command-Z)

- Autosave

- The timelines were so large that we couldn't see much of it at once on the screen

- Couldn't link rows by clicking and dragging, so it was time-consuming

Smartsheet review by Amanda N.
Amanda N.

"Don't see a difference from Google Sheets"

What do you like best?

It is a fairly user-friendly too. It mimics the type of documents you're used to using, such as Word/Google Docs or Excel/Google Sheets, so there's not a huge learning curve.

What do you dislike?

From what my company uses Smartsheet for, it just seems like a glorified Google Sheet. All of our shared documents are already hosted in Google Drive, so I don't see a real need for Smartsheet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're just using it to aggregate data, it might be too complex for that.

We use Smartsheet to upload our sales schedule and revenue, comparing year over year. It presents that data clearly.

Smartsheet review by Dalibor K.
Dalibor K.

"Team projects and collaboration and tasks made easier"

What do you like best?

It allows much more than simple spreadsheets, it allows assigning tasks, timelines, dashboard with statuses and much more.

What do you dislike?

Formatting features could be more developed. It allows a lot of project related tasks, but gui could be more colorful, easier to navigate through and formatting in general could use facelift.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Trial helped us chose this product. Consider watching some tutorials as it can do much more than it looks possible by just using it without checking these videos.

It allows us to work on tasks, projects and subprojects, we can track who is assigned which task, they can add comments, attachments, etc. Dashboard with overview or subprojects is also useful.

Smartsheet review by Cassidy E.
Cassidy E.

"Super Easy to Manage Reports"

What do you like best?

I like having the ability to collaborate on sheets and have instant updates that everyone can be aware of in a timely manner.

What do you dislike?

I dislike all the emails I get from smartsheet on a regular basis. I don't find them necessary as someone who is just a user, I think those emails should only go to their primary contacts for each company.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend the basic subscription, as the extras are not really necessary unless you are doing all of your business on Smartsheet and outward facing.

We have been able to manage projects and link sheets so that no work efforts are being duplicated, and we can all focus on other things.

"Get Stuff Done!"

What do you like best?

I like all the separate sheets that you can manage and have them funnel into reports. We have separate sheets for all of our accounts and they are able to pull reports based on whatever settings we would like.

What do you dislike?

It is a little antiquated from a UX standpoint. We have issues with having new teams adopt the system because it has so many fields to complete in order for things to work properly. The card view doesn't work very well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

SmartSheet has some catching up to do. There are many other solutions in this field that would come more highly recommended than SmartSheet. The cost of switching is what is keeping sitting put for the time being.

We are able to use the tool for project management and invoicing. This saves us a lot of time by killing 2 birds with one stone.

Smartsheet review by Kimberly T.
Kimberly T.

"I just started using Smartsheet this year...."

What do you like best?

I love how familiar Smartsheet feels, it's a whole new collaborative software, but it is easy to use.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that exporting it to Excel is not always precise. Sometimes data gets lost in translation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Smartsheet is familiar in that it feels quite a bit like Excel, but it offers different tools to allow for collaborative live editing.

At our company we primarily use it as collaborative software and scheduling. Without Smartsheet we would constantly be slipping with our dates. Being able to collaborate live and in an easy to use software helps us keep everything up to date, to the very last second.

Smartsheet review by User

"I use Smartsheet daily and love how it makes it easier to share information"

What do you like best?

I use Smartsheet daily to keep track of communication metrics. This is a huge undertaking and I love that Smartsheet allows me to keep track of everything in a concise way. I also use Smartsheet to create and keep track of several intake forms. It's a great way for other departments and my coworkers to replay their requests to me, and because I've created the form with all of our requirements, the requests come in with all of the information that I need. This hugely decreases the amount of back and forth emails because the information is centralized. We've also created several Smartsheets for one off events or projects that make it easier to share information with my team,

What do you dislike?

I wish Smartsheet offered more organizational options. This may be insignificant, but I dislike that you can bold an entire row but you can't bold just one word or one cell in a row. Small things, but there are some features that I love to see to make things more user-friendly and design-friendly. I also have a difficult time using the sort feature. I always get what I needed sorted, it just doesn't feel very intuitive.

Smartsheet allows me to store and organize large sums of data and information in a manageable and sharable way. It's also helpful for smaller one off projects, such as creating intake forms to small events. My team used to store shared excel files in a shared folder on our drive, but honestly this is much easier and convenient.

Smartsheet review by Aaron J.
Aaron J.

"Smart Project Management Solutions"

What do you like best?

This product is very easy to use and works very well to track the information in a project. It is relatively inexpensive but helps a lot when you are trying to manage a project quickly.

What do you dislike?

We also use Procore and Smartsheet is supposed to be able to link the schedule directly into Procore. I have found that it is not a live link. Our project changes often and it doesn't help us unless the link is live.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product that saves a lot of time for very little investment.

We have a large team working on several moving parts on one project. This program has helped me organize the assignments and customize the data I need to see and have updated regularly. It has save me a lot of time in the organization of this project.

Smartsheet review by Jeanne K.
Jeanne K.

"Smartsheet is a useful tool"

What do you like best?

It's a great way for teams to collaborate and keep track of shared projects.

What do you dislike?

No autosave (unlike Google Docs) - make sure to hit save or lose your work. Also, if one person is typing in the sheet, another person in the sheet can see that the first person is editing the sheet, but not what they've edited.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's not as intuitive to the user as Excel - have to do some work to find basic functions. Once you do, it's very useful

This has been very helpful for my team to keep track of where we are with team goals. We use it to guide our internal meetings.

Learn more about Smartsheet

Smartsheet Videos

Learning about Smartsheet?

* We monitor all Smartsheet reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.