Smartsheet

Smartsheet

Smartsheet is an intuitive online project management and collaboration tool. It has a familiar spreadsheet-like interface, coupled with file sharing & workflow.

Work for Smartsheet?

Learning about Smartsheet?

Smartsheet Reviews

Ask Smartsheet a Question
Showing 805 Smartsheet reviews
Smartsheet review by Jeff N.
Jeff N.

"Excel on steroids. However, Smartsheet has turned into Slowsheet."

What do you like best?

End-user development. This is an online spreadsheet, a 21st Century version of Excel on steroids. As a spreadsheet it allows very flexible form & function, the most flexible I've ever seen in an app. I'm also impressed by how well this company executes its vision. It's solid. I've only needed tech support once and I got a reply within 3 hours.

What do you dislike?

Slowest app to load, sometimes takes several reloads for app to become available. Slower than any other app I use. Downtime for maintenance. Have to log back in after maintenance. Adertisement banners appearing across top of page more and more. Can't merge cells. Did I mention it's s-l-o-o-o-o-w?

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider Airtable as well.

Many. Smartsheet is a smart online spreadsheet, so I use it anywhere I need to create custom tables, lists, or spreadsheets.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Smartsheet
Smartsheet review by Megan G.
Megan G.

"Amazing tool if you manage a team that handles multiple projects!"

What do you like best?

What I love best about Smartsheet is that I can create dashboards and reports to see all sheets at a glance. I have five direct reports who manage at least 10-15 sheets at a time, so this makes it very easy to keep up with all moving parts. I also like that our account manager is reachable when we have questions or would like a demo on certain features or functions we are not using, but plan to.

What do you dislike?

I can't say that I dislike any part of Smartsheet right now. I only see benefits. I wish that there was more info on how we can better integrate it with some of our APIs like SFDC, Cvent or Marketo. There might be that info out there, but I am not aware of it or not looking in the right spot.

Communication with multiple team members on multiple projects. Live, real-time updates. Easy formulas for expense reporting and tracking. We have also seamlessly integrated this with American Express Travel as a way of eliminating multiple email threads daily. It makes us more efficient.

What Project Management solution do you use?

Smartsheet review by Alicia V.
Alicia V.

"If you use shared spreadsheets in your company, you need SmartSheet"

What do you like best?

I looove that multiple people can be in a spreadsheet at the same time, updating their respective pieces, without having to save and close every time someone else needs to access it. Plus, if you're in it at the same time as someone else and they update it, it notifies you so that you can refresh and see what's new!

What do you dislike?

I haven't found anything I dislike about it, yet. It's easy to use, intuitive, user-friendly, and an excellent tool for our business.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your company uses spreadsheets for anything, I highly recommend SmartSheet. It's collaborative, real-time functionality is a must for any business!

My company is global, so SmartSheet allows team members all across the world to utilize the same data. It's a great tool, especially, for tracking workflow steps that many people are involved in. We can get on a conference call and review the status of things while anyone can simultaneously be updating it as we talk.

Smartsheet review by Bill H.
Bill H.

"Ultra User Friendly"

What do you like best?

Ultra user friendly - very quick to set up new solutions and on-board new users - any one can use it. Collect data via simple webforms in a few clicks.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really, its 100% fit for purpose. Would be nice if there was the option to link sheets as relational databases. Like most software vendors they quietly move features up the subscription ladder, but its basically good value.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a go - a ten sheet subscription is not expensive and you upgrade or downgrade any time.

Smartsheet is an ultra user friendly tool to plug gaps in existing software and processes. Even if you intend to fix those gaps its so quick to set up and on-board new users that it makes an excellent interim solution. As permanent solutions we have a company diary on smartsheet, use it for KPI tracking and for project to-do lists. Using it as a personal to-do list with the mobile app is v good.

Smartsheet review by John B.
John B.

"Smartsheet boasts our productivity"

What do you like best?

We like how easy it is to share documents with our team and the ability to access the information from any device (laptop, phone, tablet) and from anywhere. Excel and Project files import seamlessly and are simple to use.

What do you dislike?

The ability to format documents isn't quite where we'd like it to be. It has good aspects, such as conditional formatting, etc., but some of the more advanced formatting and the ability to filter around these is lacking. Graphing is not where it should be either. Also, we like Excel's format of multiple tabs in a workbook. There is probably similar functionality in Smartsheet using workspaces, etc. - need to look into that more!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very easy to use and reap the benefits of collaboration - take some of the training though. There is a lot of functionality built in and it isn't always obvious!

Project tracking is great - easy to set up and use. It doesn't have the industrial strength of MS Project but, in some ways that is the advantage. It is intuitive to use and easy to navigate. We track consulting projects, internal projects, and client deliverables - really saves us a lot of time.

Smartsheet review by Chase M.
Chase M.

"Smartsheet is a competent resource that can be used by large and small businesses alike"

What do you like best?

I appreciate the ease in collaboration. We work on several large construction projects and the collaboration aspect has helped our productivity. There are many different file formats that can be added to "Workspace" which is helpful when sharing with multiple departments. They seem to constantly be updating the software with new features which is encouraging to us.

What do you dislike?

Licenses are too expensive for the product. We also utilize a Corporate Google Drive with unlimited storage. To me, collaborating on the Google drive are more functional due the vast array of apps. For our company's purposes, it seems to me that this product could easily be replaced by a cheaper productivity software (via the Google apps store).

Recommendations to others considering the product

The product is simple and easy to use. It does have limitations on what it can do and can be irritating when a large number of individuals are contributing the same document. We are comparing this software to Google that updates in real time with multiple users contributing to the same document. This would be a very helpful feature to add to this product.

We are a charter school district with 74 campuses. We have several large projects occurring at the same time. Smartsheet is largely what our construction and real estate teams utilize as a productivity software. We have been using the software for 2 years and the departments that currently use Smartsheet on a daily basis are happy with the results.

Smartsheet review by Delores A.
Delores A.

"Excellent Project Management Tool"

What do you like best?

The best thing about Smartsheet is how easy it is to share single sheets. In my line of work, I often have a need to share single spreadsheets with stakeholders, and with Smartsheet it is so simple. While other applications offer simply sharing options, they don't include all of the functionality of Smartsheet, and this is what sets it apart. Also, I really appreciate the card view in Smartsheet. In the past, I used Trello pretty exclusively, and when I switched to Smartsheet then there was nothing like that. The card view is great for projects where we use Agile.

What do you dislike?

The main problem with Smartsheet is that there is no real-time data sync. If you want to save something, you need to physically click Save. In the past, this has cost me several hours worth of work, as I did not click Save before exiting the sheet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would take some time to get to know all of the features of Smartsheet. There is definitely a learning curve, and I don't believe that all of the videos and other online resources really give you the full picture. If you have the opportunity to enroll in some formal Smartsheet training, you should take that opportunity.

We are using Smartsheet to organize and track the time we spend on development projects. In the past, we have struggled to answer questions about how long our products take to develop, and organizing our work in Smartsheet is giving us a clearer understanding of how long things take. Plus, we always know where we stand with projects, and so do our supervisors.

Smartsheet review by Laura C.
Laura C.

"Smartsheet helps my team keep our projects on track. "

What do you like best?

Smartsheet allows for me to keep track of my individual schedule in a very clear way. I love the calendar feature that lets me see what my responsibilities are for the week. It's also easy to see each project's timeline & who is working on it at any given time.

What do you dislike?

On my personal calendar, if a project is not completed, but I'm viewing the next week, I am not notified that I have an overdue task. I wish there was a better notification system for when something is overdue.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend Smartsheet - it's very easy to use & I've found it extremely helpful, especially the personalized calendar feature.

I work for a publishing company & there are many people involved on each project. Smartsheet allows us to manage each book project as a group.

Smartsheet review by sansern k.
sansern k.

"It's smart as it's named. Great for a company to work faster with great productivity."

What do you like best?

It's make the communication via the team achieve the goal via the company plan. Which is actually really hard to find one to compare with. Especially for an owner of the company having everything run through with progress and capable to be ackonwledge that the task has been done by right person. I beleive that's what define team. And that's where Smartsheet stand out for me.

What do you dislike?

MAny main funtion which should have been reqursted for quite a long time which should have been on the top list still on the roadmap for too long such as Vlookup combination, timestamp and mutiple answers from a form. Which somehow make the SS sounds not complete. And it's very hard at the beging if you didn't have a patient enough or didn't have a great logical mind set; This is not for your company.

Recommendations to others considering the product

More of the basic request need to be done soon. As I felt you guys want hook up with the lager group company instead of the every personal use which will then be a better, form my perspective on the return customer.

Classic case for every company I believe the folllow up provess and the lack of communication is one of the key thing. Team need this improvement and this has been improve since using. Along with transfering data from team to team.

Smartsheet review by Alexandra S.
Alexandra S.

"Great for organizing spreadsheets and sharing with team"

What do you like best?

I really like that the sheets in Smartsheet are treated like spreadsheets and that you can select multiple line items at a time to copy elsewhere or to even figure out the sum of numbers.

I also like that I can make comments on a line item and email it to a coworker so that they can follow what I am referring to. I also use the "reminder" function on line items and appreciate the emails reminder it sends at the time I specify.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that when multiple people are viewing a sheet at the same time, the changes are not real time. The changes don't "save" until you click "save".

It seems like Smartsheets is always scheduling "offline" maintenance which hinders users from using it during that time. Luckily, they usually do this on weekends.

The sheets can sometimes take a little time to load so I usually have multiple tabs opened with different Smartsheets so that I can easily click back and forth to view the information quicker.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for tracking numbers and organizing other information. But not a great tool for team collaboration or workflows.

Ease of tracking sales and using the category functions to better sort through specific events. It is great to use as a database of clients and their contact information. Our team benefits from using the comments and alert functions to communicate with coworkers or just as reminders to ourselves.

Smartsheet review by Pradeep H.
Pradeep H.

"Smart tool for research project management!!"

What do you like best?

Not as complicated and cumbersome as MS Project, which tries too hard to apply complicated logic to your project plans. Smartsheet simply gives you the ability to create plans of any level of complexity. Conditional formatting allows easy review of start/finish dates and who is assigned what. Collaboration is easy and effective as you can share with different levels of permission, and export only those elements you want others to see and work with. Having the product in the cloud makes access simple and reliable. Smartsheet is having a wonderful user-interface experience and has a good tutorial feature as well.

What do you dislike?

Creating a backup is a challenge. It's not intuitive and involves way too many menus and steps. There should be a simple way to create a backup offline for audit or versioning purposes. There needs to be an auto-save feature. I've had new collaborators lose their work because they forgot to manually save. For a product that operates with the ease of Google Docs in the cloud, the expectation is that there is an auto save feature. The 10-minute reminder message is not sufficient.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please use this wonderful software. It will ease your research tasks and helps to manage research projects effectively.

I am using this software for research purpose only. I have not used for business.

Smartsheet review by Caitlin K.
Caitlin K.

"Great organizational tool for various needs!"

What do you like best?

I love using Smartsheet to keep inter-departmental communication wide open in my organization. I manage email marketing, but other departments (development, outreach, audience education, School) all use email as well. I love keeping track of who's sending emails & when; this way, it's way easier to understand our unsubscribe rates.

What do you dislike?

I think it's a little simple and could be more user-friendly. I work in a non-profit where my coworkers and I really don't have time to learn a new software. It's also tough to share sheets with less tech-savvy co-workers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

An initial tutorial to new users is a very good idea. I wish that I'd been trained on Smartsheet's intricacies, and I'd venture to guess my co-workers would love a functionality training period.

It's super helpful for keeping us on deadline with our direct mail and email campaigns. We use the color-coding feature that makes our rows turn a very threatening red when we're behind schedule, and it works very well :) I'm also using it every time I need to create a signup sheet. Those lil checkboxes are a real charm when I need to assign different tasks to different people.

Smartsheet review by Amanda W.
Amanda W.

"Easy-to-use and Efficient Software for Team Collaboration on Project Sheets"

What do you like best?

I like how managing huge projects becomes much easier when Smartsheet is being used to manage all the small tasks. I especially like how you can see who is viewing the same spreadsheet as you at the same time, and how you can see that someone has made a change to the sheet you are viewing right when they do so.

What do you dislike?

I do wish that one someone makes a change on a sheet that someone else is viewing, that this change could be seen live - as in one viewer could see another user typing and changing a particular cell. This idea stems from how easy and collaborative Google sheets, docs, presentations can be.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Smartsheet is a very useful tool in managing any size project you should have. It's very collaborative in that if two people are viewing the same sheet, they will be able to see each other viewing the sheet. Additionally, if one person was to make a change to the sheet and hit save, the other viewer would receive a notification of the other person doing so. My only complaint is that these changes are not live - meaning that they do not show up on another person's screen as the other person is typing. However, this is still a software I would recommend.

We are managing huge projects by using Smartsheet. Smartsheet allows us to make as many smaller tasks within a bigger task, making Smartsheet a very powerful tool for business professionals.

Smartsheet review by Samantha O.
Samantha O.

"Share Knowledge Easily"

What do you like best?

I enjoy using Smartsheet because it allows you easily share information and create a database to pull from. It is much like excel and you can even import and export excel files. It lets you create a sheet custom to what you need and can share that information with people as fellow contributors or just a user getting the information.

What do you dislike?

It is not always intuitive, sometimes the headers are hard to adjust. When you pull excel files the formatting can be a little off sometimes. The report builders are awesome since you can pull specific information from multiple places but they can be a bit tricky to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I like that its so easy to share lots of important information . I can track where inventory is on the road all the time.

Being able to share information in multiple cities/countries.

Smartsheet review by Yohan A.
Yohan A.

"Hojas de calculo que sirven para algo mas que sumar"

What do you like best?

Excelente herramienta para seguimiento de proyectos, permite llevar control de avance de tareas, asignarlas a distintas personas y saber si las terminaron o no. Las opciones de agregar comentarios y subir archivos son geniales, en mi opinión la mejor herramienta para control de proyectos que existe actualmente,

What do you dislike?

La opción de recibir alertas cuando se realizan actualizaciones es un poco confusa, las notificaciones muchas veces no se entienden muy bien.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Se debe conocer bien la herramienta y su uso para poder sacarle el máximo provecho, es importante que todos lo usuarios que vayan a interactuar con ella tengan la destreza necesaria para explicar bien sus tareas y asignarlas de forma adecuada así como indicar cuando completan las que les son asignados a ellos.

Seguimiento y desarrollo de proyectos para implementacion de tiendas de e-commerce, desde el levantamiento de datos hasta la salida en linea, ademas para asignacion de tareas de desarrollo y soporte. Se usa para control y seguimiento de la realizacion de tareas por parte de los distintos miembros del equipo asi como para la realizacion de revisiones y control de calidad en sitios web.

Smartsheet review by Shesha K.
Shesha K.

"Love this product!"

What do you like best?

Excellent reporting opportunities, collaboration is fantastic, capability to create sites. Fairly easy to use, there are many public forums dedicated to answering questions along with the SmartSheet Community forum. Great interface with other products, Excel, Outlook Etc. Ability to collaborate with colleagues even if they are not licensed users. Pretty much all the functionality of Excel and MORE! It really makes the conditional formatting a heck of a lot easier!

What do you dislike?

They kind of get you on the "plans", for instance if you don't have a certain level plan you don't have access to all of the features. You are also only allowed so many sheets on the lower level plan. You can not update/change a template you have to re save as new.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This product is not necessarily a replacement for Excel, but pretty darn close! It offers so much more, it is a happy blend of MS Project and Excel in my opinion, with a smaller price tag than MS Project.

Gathering Data, tracking events, and overall project management.

Smartsheet review by Matthew W.
Matthew W.

"A Hybrid of Excel and Project"

What do you like best?

The user interface has a good balance between simplicity and user control. It allows the user to control to the level that they want to and then compensates accordingly. It can provide a very simple user experience for someone who just wants something simple and straightforward but can also provide a lot of control for a user that needs customization or requires more power.

I also appreciate the collaborative functions that are built into the program.

What do you dislike?

There are always trade-offs to be made. By creating a flexible user experience, the program is not really suitable for the extreme power users who need complete control and would like to implement complex functions into their project scheduling. A program like Excel would be better for this kind of a user.

Additionally, the collaboration tools are nice, but they are only really helpful if the entire team buys into using them. They do not really provide a great deal of us if few or only part of the team is using them.

Project management

Project scheduling

Smartsheet review by Eric M.
Eric M.

"Solid App For Ad-Hoc Project Planning"

What do you like best?

I enjoy using this for quick and dirty ad-hoc timeline setup. It is aesthetically appealing and allows for smaller project and product roadmap creation cleanly and carefully. As well, we can very easily ensure that all is forecasted and managed without issue. The largest need we had for this was resource forecasting, and the use of the software for "what-if" scenarios was phenomenal. We would love to use this more; however, the difficulty of initial project setup limits that a bit.

What do you dislike?

Would be great if it didn't have the learning curve there. The goal here is to ensure that we can get things done.Also, I would prefer a less aggressive onboarding process (i.e., please give me the ability to skip the onboarding at this time to ensure that I can more easily just jump in and use the product. Finally, the setup of projects is a bit time-consuming and without a proper governance and strategy could pose issues for smaller teams.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Solid project management and forecasting tool. Would use for most projects at this point. Well done there.

Quick ad-hoc project management and robust visualizations for team and task management capabilities. We have also seen some of our traditional PM experiences more quickly implemented with the tool for collaboration with clients. We have also seen stellar ROI once we involved out external customers in our SmartSheet at the project level (using it more for dashboarding that anything so they can quickly see status).

Smartsheet review by Farid S.
Farid S.

"The Trial Was Very Promising But I Stopped Using it and Forgot About It"

What do you like best?

I trialed Smartsheets' free edition roughly a couple of years ago when testing different platforms for project management solutions. What I liked the most about it was that it was a good alternative to Microsoft Project, at least at a low level; I could easily create gantt charts that could be shared with others online and I even used it for a couple of internal projects.

In other words, I would call this Microsoft Project cloud edition, which I later found out existed, for roughly $10/mo. However, the need for it dwindled and I went back to Microsoft Project's Windows application edition.

What do you dislike?

It's a bit basic and now that Microsoft Project offers an online version, I'm more inclined to give Microsoft another shot because their product is known for being far more robust than Smartsheet, though I wouldn't rule Smartsheet out completely. I suppose you are catering to two different crowds here: your project management experts vs your lower level professionals looking for something basic to get things going without the convolution of MS-Project.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give Smartsheet a try before moving onto Microsoft Project. I would say that it is a good introductory way to determine whether your teams are ready to move onto further steps of project management.

As I mentioned earlier, I used Smartsheet for smaller projects, specifically for those who required virtual teams who were not used to Microsoft Project. With Smartsheets, I could share the data with them online, rather than have to create reports every time with Microsoft.

Smartsheet review by Sharon K.
Sharon K.

"Smartsheet"

What do you like best?

Pretty simple to use. We used it to consolidate all the different campaigns throughout the year. Can put in notes easily. Sort. Links to the campaigns. Etc.

What do you dislike?

I haven't used it as a spreadsheet, like an Excel type of spreadsheet. I still use Excel for most of my spreadsheet type work. So can't say how it is as a heavy duty spreadsheet. Sometimes, though, it loads a bit slow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I haven't used as, e.g., an Excel spreadsheet type spreadsheet, but it is pretty easy to get in there and use as a space for collaboration and get quick and easy updates from team if needed.

Somewhere central to consolidate all the different campaigns for everyone's use and to view. Also to put in comments/notes with quick updates on, e.g., traffic, etc.

Smartsheet review by Sara L.
Sara L.

"Smartsheet is invaluable for managing our clients financial audit prep and workflow."

What do you like best?

Smartsheet looks and acts like Excel, which makes it easy to onboard clients and users.

We have pulled all staff out of emails when conversing with clients and out of Excel for their client checklists. Real-time collaboration has improved our efficiency and stress level! I'm not afraid of small details falling through the cracks and it has made managing remote staff a dream..

What do you dislike?

I wish we could move documents from one row to another.

No Cmd Z to undo.

The app goes down quite a bit, which is worrisome. They have a website to check if there are any issues that we use often.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just try it. 30 days free is enough time to get hooked.

CPA firms are simply not stepping up with online solutions for annual "PBC"s (Provided by client audit request lists) As a contracted controller, Smartsheet has enabled me to automate this process from the client side of the table.

Managing my team and each client's outsourced bookkeeping workflow. Engaging the client online has kept "emotions" out of "private" emails and enabled management to get a perfect picture of where a weekly/monthly engagement is and what the problems are

Smartsheet review by faras k.
faras k.

"One of the best tools to manage multiple projects"

What do you like best?

- history of changes per cell, plus the user who made the change

- multiple views for different purposes

- sharing the sheet with a link to multiple users

- assign and track tasks for multiple people.

- customized notifications

- mobile app is very useful

- time management and cost analysis

What do you dislike?

very few things to dislike about smartsheet, it feels slower when overloaded with data. mobile app view is not easy to look at.

Recommendations to others considering the product

its an amazing tool for tracking huge projects, assets, and simple to do lists

assigning tasks to users, tracking all project under each department, tracking company owned assets.

made an overall sheet that takes data from project sheets and provide an overall view of all projects. created a sheet to assign equipment to employees to better assign work based on who have what.

Smartsheet review by Shalise Q.
Shalise Q.

"Smartsheet- the best collaborative tool I've ever used. "

What do you like best?

Smartsheet is the tool I've been looking for my whole life but didn't know it existed until I began working at my current company. It's real-time collaboration takes away hundreds of emails, while everyone is able to stay on the same page. It is the first thing I pull up after I open my work email every single day. The notifications and reminders are amazing and make project management so much more streamlined.

What do you dislike?

There is really nothing I have found limiting on the product apart from certain features I don't have access to because of the type of plan I am on. I was able to go to a training and view and play with these few

Recommendations to others considering the product

Absolutely give it a try. The community aspect on their website is phenomenal, and you can really leverage how you're using it against how others are using it.

Real-time collaboration without multiple emails, reminders for tasks, notifications when items have changed or tasks have been completed or something is overdue.

Smartsheet review by User in Computer Software

"Smartsheet - A smarter way to manage and report both the individual and the team work."

What do you like best?

This tool has a deluge of useful features. Many minute features like inserting image to a cell, incorporating contacts or drop-downs in a cell are very handy and beneficial. The best feature is the team collaboration and it allows users to see the history of individual cells and manage the work in a smarter way.

What do you dislike?

There are a lot of formatting options so sometimes it becomes a bit tricky to figure out what a particular formatting means. So there should be view-pane in one side of the screen for displaying the meaning and reference of each and every formatting style. Otherwise, the product has all the necessary and useful features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This tool has all the features a user can think of. Explore the features of setting reminders, collaborating with the team and setting different permission levels for collaborators. It also gives an option of organizing the work in a hierarchical way. Also explore the option of importing data from other applications. It also gives many templates for creating sheets.

This product helps in work collaboration and is utterly beneficial. It helps in improving the productivity. The notification feature is very useful and advantageous, it gives users the option to select the kind of notification they want to see like mobile, email notification etc. Moreover, different views it offers are also beneficial like the calendar view.

Smartsheet review by Stephanie R.
Stephanie R.

"GREAT, but definitely confusing at times"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that everything is in one place and multiple collaborators can contribute and be informed of exactly what was done within the project.

What do you dislike?

It can be confusing for new users, which means everyone needs training. However, there are a lot of articles and videos on the internet that can help you understand how to use the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This tool is great if you have a project manager that completely understands it's capabilities and teaches their team how to utilize it successfully. Definitely watch YouTube videos that help you better understand how to use the software properly.

Currently utilizing it to evaluate current processes regarding enrollment and retention, which allows multiple people in multiple locations to work together and share various metrics, data, documents, and insight in one central place.

Smartsheet review by Christina O.
Christina O.

"Awesome product for so much more than just project management!"

What do you like best?

There are so many things I could list that I like about SmartSheet, but I will start with versatility. With most project management solutions, they are designed to serve that specific purpose. SmartSheet takes it a step further in that you can use it for surveys, to collect a myriad of information, generate forms that are accessible online where non-users can input information that translates to a spreadsheet and so much more.

What do you dislike?

The only thing that I can think of that I dislike about SmartSheet is that you cannot multi-select items in a drop-down in a sheet. This was requested by multiple users some time ago and still has not been implemented in spite of the demand. Releases seem to be infrequent and when they do come out, they want you to upgrade your subscription plan to have access to them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

SmartSheet is not a comprehensive project management solution similar to MS Project or others that strictly do project tracking. If you are looking for some thing that is easy to jump into and start planning without a significant amount of training, SmartSheet is a great choice. There are a lot of features that can be discovered and utilized once you get a better grip on the product.

We were looking for a cloud-based solution that allowed us to manage projects initially. What we found was that SmartSheet allowed us to do that, but a lot more. We use it to track employment applications, suggestions for improvement, social media content, training registrations, employee role assignments just to name a few. While we have not delved much into collaboration yet, we would like to explore those features in the near future.

Smartsheet review by Brian H.
Brian H.

"Easy Gantt charts (finally)!"

What do you like best?

The tool is really useful for setting up a detailed schedule for any project. You can easily set up dependencies to keep track of deadlines and start dates for each individual piece of your project.

What do you dislike?

The Gantt chart doesn't export very easily, but it is useful to look at while you're editing. It's hard to share though.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Shop around. There are several products that offer kind-of-similar features. It's tricky to end up with the software that's just right for your needs.

I am working on a multi-year pilot launch of a new product, and it's been mind-bogglingly complex and too much to organize in a Word document or Excel sheet. This keeps everything in one place, with priorities and deadlines built in.

Smartsheet review by Ben E.
Ben E.

"Smartsheet works for the right job"

What do you like best?

Smartsheet's collaboration and ease of use are the biggest benefits. It's easy to set up project plans and work on them collaboratively. This is the biggest advantage over MS Project. Additionally, the library of templates has also been helpful, and overall it's very easy to get up and running with project plans.

What do you dislike?

The biggest challenge for project management is the inability to split task resourcing. The workaround is mediocre and I hope it's something they address. Additionally, the inability to independently format reports (you're constrained to formatting on the base sheets) is another disadvantage.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a good platform that fills a specific need for collaborating on project planning and management. It's not without it's limitations, but is well worth it.

We needed a collaborative platform for project management. Smartsheet has filled the need and we've generally been very happy with the service.

Smartsheet review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Name does justice : Smarter way to manage work - Smartsheet"

What do you like best?

I like how you can select different types of work sheets, like from regular task management list to project timelines. Also I was impressed by feature of conditional formatting, setting rules like highlighting rows based on certain criterion. It is easy to share sheet with other users and it’s great that you have flexibility to grant them the access level

What do you dislike?

It’s nice they have report feature but they can do better at it and can provide a small explanation on how to use it or show some examples in action.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have lot of tickets and issues you deal with in daily basis this till comes very handy. Also if you plan to share your sheets with clients and other team members this tools is good to use

With Fast moving client requests and large team sizes, smartsheet comes in handy for us all to be on top of issues and tickets. We can check status of tickets at one place and also comment on it at same time.

Smartsheet review by Administrator in Banking
Administrator in Banking

"Buildable tool to Streamline teamwork"

What do you like best?

You can build anything much like you can do in excel but there are also built in templates you can customize for your project. All the formulas and features of excel are built into smartsheet so you can easily transfer information and projects into the program. Also many people from your team can review , comment, attach files, etc at any point even if you are in the sheet simultaneously. Streamlines work processes and collaboration between team members.

What do you dislike?

You can't segment the sheet into different tables with alternative column headings. You get one heading per column and you can make sub headings below but you cant create another chart or segment of information below it with new column headings to represent data differently or build off the data in your sheet. This makes it hard to segregate related information and build out a sheet exactly how you want it if you are working with different types of information on one sheet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a shot! You'll be surprised with how many needs it can serve!

Transparency in communication. You can view everything in real time and everything can be seen in one place. Each row allows you to comment, set reminders for tasks or updates, and attach files. Everyone can access the same information whenever they want and anytime they need to. Collaboration has never been easier with Smartsheet.

Smartsheet review by Administrator

"Easy to use and implement"

What do you like best?

It's incredibly easy to use and it's fast to get users up and running. Due to the ease-of-use, employees can create their own solutions without any collaboration from IT.

What do you dislike?

Smartsheet is experiencing some growing pains. There seem to be more frequent minor service issues, but to their credit, they are great about keeping their customers informed when issues arise and quickly addressing them. Some features are only available for an additional fee to the regular pricing, e.g., pivot tables, control center, etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look at the Youtube videos that Smartsheet has created as well as other to get a feel for the software. If you are considering this for project management, determine what features are essential as Smartsheet is not as powerful as MS Project or P6 Primavera.

Smartsheet has greatly enhanced our project management. It makes it super easy to track progress in real time even when there are many team members that have to provide input. It also makes it relatively simple to create summary or dashboards for key project metrics.

Smartsheet review by Trina A.
Trina A.

"SmartSheet smart choice "

What do you like best?

Very easy to use, no training required to implement! Great way to manage work flow, tasks due, assign work, and complete projects that involve teams...actually great for personal office management too. We do not use for complex systems, but great for project management and task focused objectives.

What do you dislike?

The ease of use for our specific needs makes this a simple but effective tool. To have project ownership means the user has great access to creating additional sheets for personal tasks etc., however, it becomes a little expensive for a small business once you start adding managers to own their sections if you want them to be able to add sheets as sub sections to the main sheet they are using.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very easy to use for project management

Using this for workflow management, assigning tasks and project management by team leaders. The leaders have found it to be very useful, and when they share with individuals, each member can contribute to their own project while the manager feeds upwards to the main project. As a result, we are seeing a focus on detail, not missing items or overlooking critical areas, while increasing productivity based on accurate reporting between colleagues, fewer missed deadlines, projects managed more efficiently.

Smartsheet review by Britney M.
Britney M.

"Smartsheet is an easy-to-use spreadsheet tool."

What do you like best?

I like that you can easily create spreadsheets, workflows, and Gantt charts with Smartsheets. You can set up email notifications so that Smartsheet alerts you whenever changes have been made to a sheet you are collaborating on, making managing your workflow more seamless.

What do you dislike?

For our purposes, Smartsheet has worked very well. It is limited in what it does, but it's essentially a cloud-based spreadsheet platform and it does its core functions well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Smartsheet is a no-frills system, but it does its core functions well. If you are looking for a pretty user interface, it may not be for you, but it is great if you are ok with its very basic UI.

We utilize Smartsheet to maintain status reports for each of our clients, create Gantt charts for planning projects, maintain notes from meetings, and maintain budget spreadsheets. Numerous employees collaborate on any given sheet and we utilize Smartsheet to assign roles and communicate our workflow.

Smartsheet review by Erin H.
Erin H.

"Project management tool "

What do you like best?

I like the gantt chart view that is visible in Smartsheets especially once contingencies and rules are created. I think this product integrates well with the Google business ecosystem. For the most part it functions that a powerful google sheet or spreadsheet with built in formatting and field options with the capability of creating rules so you don't have to spend your time formatting aesthetics or entering as many formulas likes excel.

What do you dislike?

Smartsheets is fairly easy to manipulate, however to be an expert you either need to take a class or spend a lot of time in the tool.

This is a project management tool that is great to use even if I'm the only individual looking at the sheet. I can keep things organized and it's easy to reference. It's even better than there's just one or more contributors who are involvved in project planning or execution.

Smartsheet review by Tatianna H.
Tatianna H.

"Smartsheet Versatility You Need"

What do you like best?

The best part of Smartsheet is the ability to add attachments to a sheet. Unlike Google Sheets or Excel, Smartsheets is more versatile in tracking and offers better options when sharing with colleagues or clients. Similar to Airtable, but better.

What do you dislike?

It is very plain and looks complicated to use even though it's not.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can use the free version/trial, but like all things, it's limited. Currently, pricing is about $14/month which isn't bad, and you can have unlimited collaborators. If you're looking for something similar but with a freemium model, try Airtable.

In the midst of integrating Marketo, our consultants share smartsheets with us to help track progress of tasks and communicate what needs to be done. It's also a good way of sharing documents.

Smartsheet review by Mary B.
Mary B.

"Smartsheet"

What do you like best?

I love the similarities to Excel. The click-and-drag formula copy, the ability to Command-Z undo, and copy-paste are all very useful, albeit simple, things.

What do you dislike?

I wish I could click and drag to easily link the rows using predecessors. I would like to click the first (top) predecessor and drag it all the way down the predecessor column to link all rows, but that doesn't work because the lines immediately beneath the row titles shouldn't link to the title rows. So, I have to manually fix that problem by linking the lines immediately beneath the row titles to the row before the row title.

Our previous timeline software was not working for us. We switched from that software because the timeline function was glitchy and had several features that we disliked, including:

- No ability to undo (like command-Z)

- Autosave

- The timelines were so large that we couldn't see much of it at once on the screen

- Couldn't link rows by clicking and dragging, so it was time-consuming

Smartsheet review by Dalibor K.
Dalibor K.

"Team projects and collaboration and tasks made easier"

What do you like best?

It allows much more than simple spreadsheets, it allows assigning tasks, timelines, dashboard with statuses and much more.

What do you dislike?

Formatting features could be more developed. It allows a lot of project related tasks, but gui could be more colorful, easier to navigate through and formatting in general could use facelift.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Trial helped us chose this product. Consider watching some tutorials as it can do much more than it looks possible by just using it without checking these videos.

It allows us to work on tasks, projects and subprojects, we can track who is assigned which task, they can add comments, attachments, etc. Dashboard with overview or subprojects is also useful.

Smartsheet review by Chris M.
Chris M.

"Smartsheet is great, but only for certain use cases"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that Smartsheet provides alerts, approvals & actions workflows built into the application. This is handy and can be established in templates to provide some consistency. I'm also a fan of the Charts implementation. If only the Dashboards were better they'd really shine.

What do you dislike?

The project management functionality is honestly woeful. Before it can be considered as a true Project & Portfolio Management tool, there are some fundamental gaps that need to be addressed. At this stage, if you are running more than a few projects, have professional PMs in your employ or have a global team, then look elsewhere.

Locales are practically useless, as everything is treated as UTC. If any changes are made (e.g. new sheet, row, or updated cell), depending on where you are it can show up as the previous (or even next day) because it assumes you are at (UTC 0). I'm in UTC +10 so if I make changes at 8 AM, it's recorded as yesterday. Not good enough for project management or any reporting I've ever been involved in.

Smartsheet also ignores anything other than US date formats in some situations. Even if I set up my profile (and locale), it sometimes still assumes that 9/5/18 means 5th September, instead of 9th May. You can see how that would be a problem in reports :-(

Throw in the inability to set project baselines, associate more than one resource to a task, create programs of work without having to reconfigure the very expensive Control Center add-on and the need to occasionally manually refresh dashboard data and it's certainly not a product I'd recommend to anyone looking for a serious project management tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd definitely review the Smartsheet Community website before going ahead. Read what others are saying, what is missing, the direction Smartsheet are headed in and weigh this up against what you're looking to get out of a tool like this.

Smartsheet is embedded in our company. There are many people using Smartsheet to record and disseminate a lot of data, so it's difficult to quantify or qualify realised value. But I really do not see anything that could not be accomplished with Office 365, Power BI and SharePoint (which we already have). Throw in Project Server (about the same cost as Smartsheet Control Center) and you have a much better solution.

Smartsheet review by Cassidy E.
Cassidy E.

"Super Easy to Manage Reports"

What do you like best?

I like having the ability to collaborate on sheets and have instant updates that everyone can be aware of in a timely manner.

What do you dislike?

I dislike all the emails I get from smartsheet on a regular basis. I don't find them necessary as someone who is just a user, I think those emails should only go to their primary contacts for each company.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend the basic subscription, as the extras are not really necessary unless you are doing all of your business on Smartsheet and outward facing.

We have been able to manage projects and link sheets so that no work efforts are being duplicated, and we can all focus on other things.

Smartsheet review by User

"Get Stuff Done!"

What do you like best?

I like all the separate sheets that you can manage and have them funnel into reports. We have separate sheets for all of our accounts and they are able to pull reports based on whatever settings we would like.

What do you dislike?

It is a little antiquated from a UX standpoint. We have issues with having new teams adopt the system because it has so many fields to complete in order for things to work properly. The card view doesn't work very well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

SmartSheet has some catching up to do. There are many other solutions in this field that would come more highly recommended than SmartSheet. The cost of switching is what is keeping sitting put for the time being.

We are able to use the tool for project management and invoicing. This saves us a lot of time by killing 2 birds with one stone.

Smartsheet review by Kimberly T.
Kimberly T.

"I just started using Smartsheet this year...."

What do you like best?

I love how familiar Smartsheet feels, it's a whole new collaborative software, but it is easy to use.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that exporting it to Excel is not always precise. Sometimes data gets lost in translation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Smartsheet is familiar in that it feels quite a bit like Excel, but it offers different tools to allow for collaborative live editing.

At our company we primarily use it as collaborative software and scheduling. Without Smartsheet we would constantly be slipping with our dates. Being able to collaborate live and in an easy to use software helps us keep everything up to date, to the very last second.

Smartsheet review by User

"I use Smartsheet daily and love how it makes it easier to share information"

What do you like best?

I use Smartsheet daily to keep track of communication metrics. This is a huge undertaking and I love that Smartsheet allows me to keep track of everything in a concise way. I also use Smartsheet to create and keep track of several intake forms. It's a great way for other departments and my coworkers to replay their requests to me, and because I've created the form with all of our requirements, the requests come in with all of the information that I need. This hugely decreases the amount of back and forth emails because the information is centralized. We've also created several Smartsheets for one off events or projects that make it easier to share information with my team,

What do you dislike?

I wish Smartsheet offered more organizational options. This may be insignificant, but I dislike that you can bold an entire row but you can't bold just one word or one cell in a row. Small things, but there are some features that I love to see to make things more user-friendly and design-friendly. I also have a difficult time using the sort feature. I always get what I needed sorted, it just doesn't feel very intuitive.

Smartsheet allows me to store and organize large sums of data and information in a manageable and sharable way. It's also helpful for smaller one off projects, such as creating intake forms to small events. My team used to store shared excel files in a shared folder on our drive, but honestly this is much easier and convenient.

Smartsheet review by Aaron J.
Aaron J.

"Smart Project Management Solutions"

What do you like best?

This product is very easy to use and works very well to track the information in a project. It is relatively inexpensive but helps a lot when you are trying to manage a project quickly.

What do you dislike?

We also use Procore and Smartsheet is supposed to be able to link the schedule directly into Procore. I have found that it is not a live link. Our project changes often and it doesn't help us unless the link is live.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product that saves a lot of time for very little investment.

We have a large team working on several moving parts on one project. This program has helped me organize the assignments and customize the data I need to see and have updated regularly. It has save me a lot of time in the organization of this project.

Smartsheet review by Jeanne K.
Jeanne K.

"Smartsheet is a useful tool"

What do you like best?

It's a great way for teams to collaborate and keep track of shared projects.

What do you dislike?

No autosave (unlike Google Docs) - make sure to hit save or lose your work. Also, if one person is typing in the sheet, another person in the sheet can see that the first person is editing the sheet, but not what they've edited.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's not as intuitive to the user as Excel - have to do some work to find basic functions. Once you do, it's very useful

This has been very helpful for my team to keep track of where we are with team goals. We use it to guide our internal meetings.

Smartsheet review by lucky m.
lucky m.

"NICE EXPERIENCE"

What do you like best?

i CAN ACCESS AND UPGRADE my project report irrespective of the place i am in.The application makes easy to recollect where I left.And attachments can also be send easily.The best thing it keep my data in a well managed form and it is easy to retrieve from it.

What do you dislike?

The application is really good but I didn't like the User Interface that much

Recommendations to others considering the product

The application is good but I think you should work on the UI and customize it a bit more

As it is easy to install so I connect with my team anytime anywhere and keep on assigning them work and they also respond through this application. This keeps my data way to organised.I can easily search through my data

Smartsheet review by Jonathan P.
Jonathan P.

"Powerful but not enterprise-ready"

What do you like best?

Easy collaboration within teams, and instant url-based sharing (with different permission levels) for people outside of the org. I can create a project plan and then give client stakeholders real-time view access to it, while allowing my counterpart PMs at the client to edit collaboratively with me.

What do you dislike?

There's a limit to how many links you can have in a sheet. If you're trying to roll up individual work 10-15 people are tracking into a single master sheet, you can't have a ton of historical data linked to it.

The larger/more complex your sheet the worse the pages lag too. Some sheets become virtually unusable.

The platform isnt always stable - sometimes you'll be working on something and discover the website is having issues and saves error out. On this note, the lack of autosave is annoying.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider the scope and complexity of your engagement with Smartsheet. If either is high, I would look for other solutions.

Consolidated short-term project management, dashboarding of team hours and availability and forecasting of future hours.

Smartsheet review by Michael B.
Michael B.

"Miles above MS Project and SO much easier to use"

What do you like best?

Everything is so easy to do. The interface is intuitive and so much easier to use and understand than MS Project. Went over to SmartSheet from MS Project because of difficulty of use for smaller projects. Also like that I can create easy reports to gather my tasks! I also love the continuous updates. It seems there are always new features that enhance the product each time a release is made. I appreciate it very much as a user. MS seems to downplay the needs of users in new versions. The nice thing about a could based system like Smartsheet is the ability to listen to all of the people using the product, and learn from them. The good news is - Smartsheets puts the suggestions into play FAST, unlike MS, who seems to keep building in the same old tired broken features everybody hates.

What do you dislike?

Only thing I don't like is it could have better integration with other MS products, and I'd also like to be able to cut and paste from Excel a bit better. But, all in all, a great product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get the trial and see what it can do. You won't be disappointed.

I am a training developer, and thus work in media and communications. I have the problem of keeping my tasks in one place, because they touch so many different subjects. Smartsheet makes it SUPER easy to bring all of this together, and therefore my productivity has blossomed a lot more.

Smartsheet review by Savanna P.
Savanna P.

"The best way to organize all my projects. "

What do you like best?

Smartsheet is easy to use & has endless capabilities. It helps me keep up with all my projects & share status updates with coworkers & clients. I like being able to share certain information with clients, but being able to hide other information from them, such as internal costing.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, there’s not much to dislike about smartsheet. It does everything I need it to. Duplicating sheets to share with clients can be a daunting task.

Keeps myself & my company organized when managing hundreds of projects at once. Communication is much clearer among our team & our clients.

Smartsheet review by Administrator in Entertainment
Administrator in Entertainment

"Pros and Cons"

What do you like best?

The fact that you can cell-link cells from one sheet to another sheet, which makes it easier since something changes (dates, etc.) on one sheet, it automatically gets reflected on the cell-linked sheet as well.

What do you dislike?

It's not that user-friendly when it comes down to having 10 people looking at the same sheet, and when you save and somebody else saves without refreshing the pages, some changes don't get saved. Google Doc for this is better cause it automatically saves all the changes right away.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It takes a little while to get used to it, but once you become more comfortable it's pretty much like a better excel

We have the benefit that when I release date changes, it gets reflected in all the other teams' sheets, so everybody is aware of it. It's easier than excel to have different people looking at the same document. The attachments/comments columns are very useful as well.

Smartsheet review by David T.
David T.

"Smartsheet for basic team collaboration"

What do you like best?

Where Smartsheet excels is it's simplicity - it's basically a spreadsheet in the cloud that you can set up teams for. Unfortunately for Smartsheet there are a lot of other options that are very similar to it out there. If you want a straight forward way to keep track of tasks for a small group of people this product can and will work for you.

What do you dislike?

There is not much to dislike about Smartsheet other than sometimes you get used to certain mouse functions and hotkeys working in spreadsheets that don't work on their site. Also I don't believe that it scales well when your teams start to get bigger. We used it when our teams were a lot smaller and it worked really well - some of our smaller teams still use it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a small group of people and want a very straight forward way to manage tasks, Smartsheets can work for you. I'd recommend trying it out before buying; like I said there are a lot of other products that do this kind of thing. If you want one that is stand alone from those other products, this is the one I would go with.

We were using Smartsheet for basic team collaboration and it works really well for that when the teams are small. Honestly I think we just out grew it., and I think that Sharepoint filled a lot of the requirements that Smartsheets was fulfilling at the time.

Smartsheet review by User in Financial Services

"SmartSheet Review"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to track data and have it roll up into different dashboards. The ability to link cells is nice, although it could use a bit of improvement. It is also wonderful that you can grant access to people without a license. Allowing people who do not have a license, the ability to enter in information makes this a reasonably priced solution for project management. The ability to send out "update" emails requesting information regarding certain aspects of your sheet is very beneficial.

What do you dislike?

It is really difficult that you do not have the ability to perfomr VLookUps on smart sheet. It would also be nice if you could have the ability to link large amounts of cells at once, rather than individually linking each cell, as this is way too time consuming.

Recommendations to others considering the product

N/A

Keeping project planning as organized as possible. Allowing the correct people to have access to the information that is most pertinent to them. Have a single space where all project aspects are located. Providing a clean and organized document that we can present to our customers with all needed information.

Smartsheet review by Danielle M.
Danielle M.

"Great Project Management Tool"

What do you like best?

This software offers features you can't get from a Google sheet or excel doc. The multiple views allow for better visuals. I use the reminder feature frequently which helps automate my to-dos. The app is also super easy to use and update on the go.

What do you dislike?

There are not really any cons to the software that I have found beside the fact that it does incorporate with our CRM which is not a fault of Smartsheet

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are moving from basic excel or sheets, you will not be disappointed. Smartsheet can do most everything you wish a spreadsheet could and is easy to use.

I use Smartsheet to manage onboarding new clients, track and manage events and competitions, and properly execute and collaborate on marketing plans.

Smartsheet review by User in Industrial Automation
User in Industrial Automation

"Good, useful tool"

What do you like best?

Smartsheet is great to use for group work and needing live updates. Having several people update a single project on one sheet that saves updates as you use the sheet is useful. Having the email feature is a nice reminder when something is available to start. Also, having the user account logged with the time stamp is helpful if the user does not enter their name on an edit that is viewed by multiple people.

What do you dislike?

The time stamp on edits is easily manipulated. For example, when sorting a row on the spreadsheet, the time stamp of "last edited" is when the sort occurred, not when a person actually edited the cell. Occasionally, the customization does not work on sorting or showing certain items based on the formula. There is no indication as to why it does not work so it can make troubleshooting time consuming.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Smartsheet is a great tool to communicate automatic updates to users or others involved with a project. There are many things that we continue to find as we click around the program.

Smartsheet has helped track progress, itemize tasks, and brainstorm potential problems as a group effort. Having this tool helps prevent engineers and managers see timelines and know what to move forward on without waiting on a weekly meeting. Having a web interface makes working on multiple projects remotely a nice benefit. Being able to do your job without driving around several locations makes having a work-life balance possible and more appealing.

Smartsheet review by Dominique B.
Dominique B.

"Smartsheet Smart Choice"

What do you like best?

SmartSheets is a more collaborative version of Excel or other spread sheet software. It is simple to work on a SmartSheet with dozens of people while keeping the document up to date. This software is user friendly and easy to customize, including simple yet vivid data visualizations. You can even connect SmartSheets to webforms, which is useful for gathering data from employees, outside departments, patrons, customers, etc. in real time.

What do you dislike?

SmartSheets is user friendly, however, there is so much to learn about it. It can seem overwhelming at first, but if you take a moment to learn what SmartSheets can do, you will catch on quickly and be able to do more with your sheets.

Recommendations to others considering the product

SmartSheets is great for solo users; however, it is more useful and powerful as a collaboration tool. It will significantly improve data gathering and analysis and allows users to incorporate data from outside users.

SmartSheets is now a vital part of many workflows in my institution. It has mostly replaced Excel and is used by a variety of internal teams, outside vendors and departments, and patrons, customers, etc. We incorporate SmartSheets so often because it allows real time virtual collaboration with all the bells and whistles to make your data better organized, up to date, and visually stunning. We have noticed an increase in collaboration, feedback from outsider users (customers using webforms), and better organized projects.

Smartsheet review by Courtney S.
Courtney S.

"SmartSheet"

What do you like best?

Helps to keep track of quotes so that none get lost in the cracks. Also the user interface is very easy to learn.

What do you dislike?

Sends too many notifications about features I may not ever use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I definitely recommend Smartsheet to keep track of every day operations.

Keeping track of quotes for big projects and sending reminders via email, so that I never forget to follow up on quotes. I can set a reminder for a week, month or several months in advance. And also the comment feature is quite handy to keep track of what a customer said about a quote follow-up so I don't have to search through an email chain.

Smartsheet review by Spencer M.
Spencer M.

"The best collaborative platform I have ever used - by far"

What do you like best?

The ease of adoption

The very simple and fair pricing model

The access to just about all functionality for non-licenced (free) users

The integration with Excel and BI tools

The highly intuitive functionality

The built in collaborative features

The balance between rich functionality and simplicity

The busy, well managed user community

What do you dislike?

Still a few (minor) functionality gaps that advanced Excel users will find frustrating

Recommendations to others considering the product

Think of any process in which you are sharing information on spreadsheets, and particularly where you need to consolidate information to get an integrated view. Smartsheet can probably make this dramatically more efficient and effective.

Start with a small team and "transform" a particular process. Then evangelise around you! The pricing model allows users to join for free and access 95% of functionality.

Achieving real time, single version of the truth visibility for a multinational team across:

Marketing Planning

Marketing Budget Management

Marketing Agency Management

(Pre-CRM) lead management

Various point collaborative activities

Smartsheet review by Gwendolynn S.
Gwendolynn S.

"Collaborate and get organized with the Spreadsheet of all spreadhseets"

What do you like best?

Where to start? I wish ALL spreadsheets worked like Smartsheet.

I love that I can easily drag and drop rows to rearrange, and that I can save filter views to quickly see information in my saved format. I also love that I can set alerts and send reminders and assign rows to other users. There are great training opportunities and videos on the product - which is good - but the great news is I have not needed to use them in order to use the product. It is easy to understand and you can use all the rich features, or just do the basics. Either way the product is highly useful in keeping my many projects organized.

What do you dislike?

I wish the alerts could have a different time set on them (not just 9am) but maybe I just have not found the right setting. I also wish it was easier to upload photos. I don't want to save them to my computer or Google Drive first, I want to just drag them from my computer and have them saved in Smartsheet's cloud. They have a feature to embed images in rows, but I don't use it as much as I would if I could do the above.

Too many people were duplicating effort and not knowing what other teammembers were up to. This gets us all on the same page and minimizes effort.

Smartsheet review by Adam G.
Adam G.

"Smartsheet + Box Integration is Great!"

What do you like best?

The integration with Box is my favorite feature. I'm able to put dynamic links to files in my sheets that allows for one central copy of a particular file. We no longer have to juggle multiple versions of files and determine which is the most up to date.

I also like the way you can define filters for the sheets. We have a couple of views that we like to use in our master smartsheet and it is nice that those filters are remembered in the sheet.

and being web based is a huge plus.

What do you dislike?

I haven't found anything I don't like yet. I get a couple complaints from our construction associates, but that is mainly because they are used to having MS Project instead.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Smartsheet is great on its own, but is very nice if you integrate it with some type of cloud storage such as Box.

We are in the apartment business and these sheets help us coordinate community openings and dispositions between all of our departments (Investments, Development, Construction, and Property Management)

Smartsheet review by Anna M.
Anna M.

"Lots of features but key elements are missing"

What do you like best?

I really appreciate all of the different customizations that are available. You can create all sorts of ways to input information into the different line items.

I also like the ability to link line items across sheets.

What do you dislike?

The main problem for me is real time updates. If I were to choose, I would just use a google spreadsheet because real time updates are that important to me.

There are a ton of features but it takes a long time to get things set up.

I also don't really love how I navigate between sheets that aren't used all of the time. I can only see 5 sheets at a time across the top area and have to click 'Home' and navigate to my other sheets.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You will spend a lot of time getting things set up and maintaining this software.

Linking items across sheets has helped us a lot to stay organized with sprint planning. We put something in the 'Request' sheet and can just link it right over to the 'Sprint Plan' sheet. As we update the Sprint Plan sheet it updates the request sheet which is very nice.

Smartsheet review by Administrator in Building Materials
Administrator in Building Materials

"Amazing Project management tool"

What do you like best?

I love how easy and functional this product is. It is similar to Microsoft Project but it is more accessible. You can share with the sheet with anyone regardless if they have a membership or not. I also like the reminders and notifications that get scheduled to email to me and other users. Also the gantr chart is a nice visual.

What do you dislike?

One thing that can be improved is sheet restriction. Current shared users can see everything in a sheet. It would be great if I can share only parts of the sheets to certain users. Also I would love is the ability for users to be able to respond or reply to an emailed notification and it gets recorded into the comments field.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The reporting tool is great to track tasks among different projects by users

Project management and tracking. It allows my team to stay on track and the ability to collaborate with mutliple departments through one channel.

Smartsheet review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Good mid-range project planning tool"

What do you like best?

Easy to use interface; good formatting capabilities

Ability to highlight milestones and format text for emphasis

Ability to customize the look and feel to be branded to your companies' colors / branding

What do you dislike?

Coding required to set predecessors / dependencies. Smartsheet often gives an error with predecessors, but doesn't explain why or how to fix it.

There's also not a great way to export/share the full gantt view (not just the list view, but the whole chart). Sharing/Publishing in general isn't great. I love the idea of having a published link that's always up to date, but it doesn't let me select what aspects to show, or how frequently to update, or to pause the update while i make several changes.

Calculation tools (using it like an excel sheet), don't work great. Formulas are slightly different.

Settings are difficiult to find. In a project plan view - there are 4 different settings locations (top right, middle right, top left, bottom left) to set your preferences of the sheet!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take advantage of the trial to ensure it meets your needs. Test out complex structures for predecessors, gaps in dates, and sharing to make sure it will meet your requirements.

We use Smartsheet for our Project Managers to manage client IT projects with complex tasks and dependencies. I would say that Smartsheet meets 90% of our needs.

Smartsheet review by Kellie S.
Kellie S.

"Powerful for Project Management, Limited for Analysis"

What do you like best?

I liked the myriad pre-developed templates and the excellent customer service offered as part of our agency subscription. They were able to listen to my needs and direct me toward optimal use of Smartsheet based on my program's requirements. Some other great features are being able to send fields to someone that they can update from the e-mail, being able to build in reports to a google site or other site, and being able to limit access on a worksheet or workspace basis (something you couldn't always do).

What do you dislike?

I also wanted to do some heavy analysis on my program and found Excel to be much more powerful of a tool than Smartsheet. There are limitations to what you can do (no VBA and macros) and the feature for sharing is only helpful if people actually use it. Even when I made it easy, people still didn't collaborate. There are also formatting limitations and licensing for a large agency was tricky and could be cumbersome to navigate but that might be exclusive to my agency and my experience.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is great if you keep things simple. For a complicated model or complex analysis, you may need to export data from Smartsheet into Excel or you may find a model built entirely in Excel is more useful. I would use this software for smaller projects that require high levels of collaboration among a few users. The more users you have, the harder it is to ensure cooperation and proper usage.

My agency has a lot of virtual and telework employees and this helped to collaborate as a team even when people weren't around physically. As a project manager, I could easily request updates and see real time changes to spreadsheets. It was easy to keep logs of requests via forms for change management purposes.

Smartsheet review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

"Underutilizing Smartsheet"

What do you like best?

The project management feature is the main reason we reason we started using the product but I like how it has capabiliites to do workflow, budgeting, and a whole host of other functions. The users conference was very helpful in giving us ideas on how to expand us

What do you dislike?

A blank slate gives you options...if you have time. The time to create can be challenging for an organization that is not all in on using product. You have to rely on the explorers in your organization. There is a learning curve for new users. I dislike that we have been underutilizing Smartsheet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you give users the time to explore how to use the software. It is amazing but it takes time to create something useful.

Project Management and Improved organizational communications are two that we have seen. The 2nd id tied to the first for us.

Smartsheet review by Daniel S.
Daniel S.

"Works well for project management "

What do you like best?

Very easy to use with its intuitive interface. Constant updates by the vendor shows they listen to their customers (e.g. vlookup feature on cell formulas). Cloud integration, especially with what we use - Google Cloud, to make it simpler, secure and easier to manage documents for user acceptance, test plans, requirements, specifications, approvals and sign-offs.

Multiple templates to not only use for projects but for tasks as well, such as the kanban views.

Single signon support for our Google accounts. Makes our enterprise two-factor maintenance much more streamlined and easier for users.

What do you dislike?

It would be a better product if the graphical analytics was bundled in our team license. Currently it is only available for an additional fee. I also wish Smartsheet would support burn down charts for our Scrum projects, under our current Team license, without needing to pay extra. That's why we have to resort to Google Spreadsheets for that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I feel Smartsheet is going on the direction to support agile project methodology but not quite there yet to say they hit the sweet spot. If you are doing waterfall, or prince2 - comes highly recommended.

We use Smartsheet primarily for tracking progress for our IT projects, and to fulfill necessary audit requirements that also ask for documentation on requisition and approval processes of these changes.

Smartsheet review by Shawna K.
Shawna K.

"Organized and Easy to Use"

What do you like best?

Smartsheet is easy to navigate and easy to use. If the software sees you haven't done something before, it will offer you help.

Smartsheet helps organize companies in many ways.

What do you dislike?

The Software requires a licence to use all of the features. If there is one person in your company who has the full software however, they can create sheets for you to use. As a regular user, you do not have access to creating sheets.

If there is an entry that has subentries, sometimes the subentries will color the entry. This is annoying because it may draw attention to an entry that does not need attention.

This software is mostly used to track time that has been allotted to different projects throughout the month. A sheet exists with all names of people in the company along the vertical axis and all names of projects that exist along the horizonal axis. This sheet was created by the person with full software access. Each person in the company is then required to go in at the end of each month and allot a percentage of their time to each project they worked on. This helps with billing.

We also use Smartsheet to track tasks for each project. A list of tasks that are necessary are listed with date started, date completed and % done fields, so all employees working on the project can view what is done and what needs to be done.

Smartsheet review by User in Renewables & Environment
User in Renewables & Environment

"It has some good features"

What do you like best?

Smartsheet does a good job at organizing a schedule. We use it to predict the timeline for our projects so that we can manage time sensitive tasks and report out to other departments.

What do you dislike?

Smartsheet doesn't have very good reporting functionality. It would be a great tool if we were able to run a report and pull information from multiple project sheets. Instead we have to manually link cells to a "report" sheet try to create this feature. It's time intensive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It has some great functionality tracking project dates, but it also has it's limitations in reporting and the ability to implement functions into a predictive date cell.

We're able to more accurately report out to other internal departments when we expect to hit our milestones, and when the overall project should be complete. This is needed for business planning.

Smartsheet review by Aimee D.
Aimee D.

"Smartsheet is a Maintenance dream!"

What do you like best?

The ease of keeping our work orders and vacant units needing to be turned over is one of the greatest things that has happened to our company. With over 200 units that we own and manage, it makes keeping things organized a breeze.

What do you dislike?

It's not a user-friendly and easy on the eyes as it could be but it's easy to learn!

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you feel a little disorganized within your organization smartsheet is a wonderful tool to help you along and get going in the right direction!

We have over 200 units that we own and maintain and are always adding on more units, so to have one place where we can keep everything in order and have everyone know what we need to know them has really solved a lot of issues in our organization. It has kept work orders low and efficiency high.

Smartsheet review by Trevor S.
Trevor S.

"Amazing tool for maintaining organization and delegating responsibilities."

What do you like best?

Smartsheet makes my daily life as a frequent project manager so much easier. I can keep track of dozens of projects in real-time and maintain a sense of organization as I give updates to clients, as well as discuss new responsibilities with colleagues. It also makes keeping track of time-line changes and delays easy to map out.

What do you dislike?

The only downside I have experienced thus far is that if your are not set to the correct status on a sheet (e.g., Owner, Administrator, Editor) you cannot make certain formatting changes to the sheet. You can still edit the cells and make good use of the sheet, but you don't have full control. Now, this makes sense from a larger corporate perspective, however it does get in the way as I work in a small 5 person, collaborative office.

We (Avenue M Group) are a small, full-service custom market research firm specializing in not-for-profit professional associations. We survey their members and analyze their internal data, combining quantitative and qualitative research to better inform our clients in moving forward with pricing, product offerings and membership models restructuring.

Smartsheet review by Adam G.
Adam G.

"Easy to learn, very effective for task management, and cross-functional request processing"

What do you like best?

Ease of use made for quick adoption. I like the functionality of multiple sheets, using a parent sheet. Each member of my team has a specific role and specific tasks assigned to them when requests are made. This allows the right requests, to make it to the right person, and ensures it is processed on time. This has provided an increase in efficiency, and accountability, across our entire marketing org.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were form functionality that enabled the ability to input subtask items within the initial request. Or allow someone to change their initial request via form, without needing to create a new line item.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have someone on your team who can really focus on building the product out. If you only dedicate a small amount of time to this, it will not be as helpful as it could be. We had a member of our team, focus solely on this for at least a month, before launching our new process, using the tool. It was very important, and crucial to our team's success implementing, and acquiring quick adoption from other orgs.

Our marketing operations team has become the central execution point, for all Marketo requests, database management, and marketing campaign/program reporting requests, across all marketing orgs. We needed a product that would help us manage those requests, in a queue type format. Smartsheet's functionality and ease of use, allowed my team to quickly create a new execution model, communicate it out to the Marketing Org, train, and evangelize. It was adopted quickly, and the process is amazingly efficient.

Smartsheet review by User in Computer Software

"Smart software for project management and team collaboration "

What do you like best?

At first glance, one could mistaken Smartsheet for another spreadsheet app. But it's so much more. Smartsheet does everything you ever wished a spreadsheet could do. Each cell is it's own entity which can have properties and you can organize enormous amounts of information in multiple worksheets. It's great for managing large projects with many team members.

What do you dislike?

There are so many features within Smartsheet, it is sometimes difficult to engage with all of them, or see all your information from within the browser. Especially if you are on a laptop.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are planning to use smartsheet for project management, keep in mind that this system is great for the leaders of the project and people that need to see things from a 30k foot view. For the actual workers, smartsheet might not be enough. You may need a communication portal or task management system to accompany this system. It works fine for simple task assignment, but when you have to write out long descriptions or user stories, smartsheet starts to show limitations. I like to think of Smartsheet as the perfect tool for PM's to manage their day to day life and to quickly get their supervisors up to speed on what's going on.

large scale project management, task management, and schedule maintenance

Smartsheet review by Hitesh R.
Hitesh R.

"Good but has lot of potential for improving the interaction"

What do you like best?

It has a lot of features that can help you plan and track your project or task. The ability to link tasks as a dependency makes it easier to figure out pending work in a complex projects that has lot of tasks in it. Also helps you keep your timeline in check.

What do you dislike?

The interaction can be made a lot of more simple and the UI can be improved a lot. It is not as intuitive as I would like it to be. An improved look and feel of the UI is something that could have made my experience a lot better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Depending on your use, this product can be very helpful. Specifically to increase visibility across cross functional teams.

It helps align and map dependencies for tasks across teams. This can help give others the overview of a project to concerned person at a glance.

Smartsheet review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Electronic planner and organizer"

What do you like best?

Smartsheet is a one-stop-shop for all things trafficking - for an agency, creative asset delivery and organization is huge. We create the pages and share them with our clients to fill out and upload assets so we can keep things like creative, ad copy, flight dates, URLs, etc., all in one place.

What do you dislike?

Smartsheet can get messy quickly if you continue to add rows and columns without getting rid of or archiving old assets. Since we use this month after month, we move the old months to the bottom and put the current month at the top so we don't have to keep scrolling down the page to find our spot.

This helps save time and cuts down on email communication by eliminating the back and forth between us and the client. Now, we can all edit the shared sheets in real time and leave notes and comments for each other in one place instead of giant email chains.

Smartsheet review by Renata R.
Renata R.

"Useful tool that helps organize you spreadsheets"

What do you like best?

I love how smartsheet is simple and straightforward because it makes it easier to manage my projects and spreadsheets. Also, I like Smartsheet because it is really powrful tool for team collaboration aswell, it is flexible and can be used for multiple purposes like resource management and project development.

What do you dislike?

Smartsheet is very expensive compared to the other spreadsheet programs out there. It can be quite an investiment to use Smartsheet with a large team. Another thing I dislike about it is that it does not have enough integrations with other platforms.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make good use of Smartsheet's many customization options because it can help you become more efficient when using the platform.

I use Smartsheet to develop event planning, that includes resource tracking, budgeting and also team collaboration. This platform allowed me to have a more efficient work environment with my fellow team members.

Smartsheet review by Administrator in Cosmetics
Administrator in Cosmetics

"Zoom - Conference calls"

What do you like best?

I like that Zoom is user friendly and straight forward. It's nice that you can create the meeting and when you send it out to the participants, it automatically adds to your calendar depending on the email platform that you use. The software will also record meetings, as well as, allow you to share your desktop to anyone logged into the URL. This gives participants the capability to make the conference calls interactive and also makes sure everyone is viewing the most up to date and accurate material. The software also allows the participants to join the meeting before the host, which in my case is beneficial when me, the administrator, is not actually attending the call.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that you have to actually log into Zoom for the meetings to be recorded. I feel that if you setup a meeting and your participants just use the dial-in, that the software should still record and save the recording to your local drive.

Zoom is used for our conference calls in relation to our active projects. The software allows for multiple people to be on at one time.

Smartsheet review by User in Wholesale
User in Wholesale

"Use daily to share information across different locations in our company for inventory management."

What do you like best?

I like that it is updated instantly and notifies other users viewing the sheet to refresh their page when a change is made. I like how it shows who is viewing the sheet so you know if you should make changes now or wait until later.

What do you dislike?

How easy it is to overwrite someone else's work. I also dislike the format of the column titles at the top of the spreadsheet. It is difficult to read the titles as they are often cut off. This may just be a formatting issue from the person who set up the sheet to begin with.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a great tool to share files across a company and allow users to all contribute and view the document at the same time.

Tracks inventory movement across the company. It is beneficial to be able to look back and see if a transaction was recorded or when product was received in from an external supplier.

Smartsheet review by Tim B.
Tim B.

"Nice Features, Great for Collaboration"

What do you like best?

The ability to share and collaborate with other SmartSheet users or just share via link to non-users.

What do you dislike?

Time calculations are different from MS Project, making it difficult to get a true picture of time required. There isn't a built-way to say that a task taking 5 days may actually only take 1 hour over the course of 5 days. This ends up over-allocating resources.

Collaboration of different employees and/or teams to manage and discuss projects. This gives others an easy way to view tasks without having to email a spreadsheet or Project doc back and forth.

Smartsheet review by Administrator in Plastics
Administrator in Plastics

"Pretty solid tool overall"

What do you like best?

I like the different views that I can create. For example, I detest Gantt charts but work on a team where they are must haves. I can manage my projects in one view, then switch to the Gantt view for reporting. I'm also a big fan of being able to share updates, task assignments, etc. in one place, and this worked well for my team. And when we needed to make it look work/look more like Excel, we could do that without having to reinvent the wheel.

What do you dislike?

To me, the UI isn't the sexiest thing in the world. I'm at a Fortune 500 now after years of agency work using BaseCamp, Slack, all the coolest SaaS apps. This isn't going to blow anyone away from a design standpoint, but it delivers solid functionality, everything I need for the projects I'm using it on.

Mostly general project management, working with teams to keep track of next milestones, sharing prompts. We have some remote folks, so this is a useful tool. I feel like it keeps us on track better than updating a calendar item with an agenda every time we meet.

Smartsheet review by David T.
David T.

"Smartsheet Review"

What do you like best?

The fact that it looks like Excel allows a lot of my users to become very familiar with it very quickly. The mobility of the app is nice as well.

What do you dislike?

Several features are fairly clunky and difficult to implement. I wish you could do more with programability/macros. As it stands we still have to do a lot of manual entry per project.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're trying to limit your cost in going with a project management tool, SmartSheets is the way to go. if you have the money, I would at least explore your options. SmartSheets will get your through, but they don't have all of the bells and whistles that other solutions offer.

Right now we are using it as our Project Management tool, but it's been useful enough to serve other purposes and cover several meeting minute issues we've had.

Smartsheet review by Colin R.
Colin R.

"Smart Sheet review"

What do you like best?

Smart sheet is ridiculously easy to set up and a highly intuitive project management software. It has changed the way I can manage projects with my clients, each with multiple teams all doing different tasks. It allows sharing and also just as important a central viewing area for the project. I can set a visible project (but not editable) for my clients to review at a glance as after 200emails of ever changing details it is nice to see an analog view of the progress.

What do you dislike?

Smartsheet needs to be saved when you make a change, this is both clever and a bit irritating as most online systems will save for you and if you forget or get distracted you may be able to make a mistake.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Smartsheet has a TON of ability, and at first try I was using them to create Gannt charts, now we are using it for full blown collaboration.

WATCH THE VIDEOS, take the time, they put a good amount of energy into creating these videos (unlike other vendors) which make it easier for a visual learner like myself to be able to see the power of this tool

Smartsheet solves how a large number of people can collaborate on a central project management system. It allows then access to modify the tasks they are assigned to do, as well as allows me the ability to present the project on where it is to my clients and the contributors.

Just as important, it allows users to add new items via the web to the project. Our projects morph from a design build project to follow up bug tracking. Allowing users to add new items as they appear is a lifesaver

Smartsheet review by Blake P.
Blake P.

"Software that needs to be updated."

What do you like best?

I like the ability to share with multiple coworkers a connected workload that requires productivity, accountability, and transparency.

What do you dislike?

The software is in desperate need of an upgrade! Right now, it looks like something stuck in the '90s, and it can be confusing to navigate without proper and in-depth training.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd consider looking at other software that's more updated and easier to use.

We're using Smartsheet as a place to keep ourselves in the loop during our annual appeal. It's been beneficial because we've been able to stay connected, and it feels like we're helping achieve something together, even though some of us often work remotely.

Smartsheet review by Gail A.
Gail A.

"Excellent product with a few short comings"

What do you like best?

The fact that it was in a public cloud, easy to use and easily accessible from anywhere made it a very attractive option to explore

What do you dislike?

At the time that my company used the product there weren't enough formulas available and some of the tasks were not as easy to perform as in Microsoft Excel or MS Project. So it was simple just not robust enough so the the team was resistant to adoption.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Smartsheet at the time that I used it was not as robust as I would have liked. It's a good product for some applications but ultimately was not adopted by my team.

At the time we were looking for an online solution to MS Project. Smartsheet was not able to fulfill everything that we were looking for and there were several tasks that were tedious as compared with other products

Smartsheet review by Jay B.
Jay B.

"Solid for task management and delegation"

What do you like best?

It's just dead simp,e and easy to set up and use. Yo can choose from several layouts to manage your data, such as a grid view, calendar or card view. Sharing sheets is easy and intuitive. Too, you can create custom web forms that feed your sheets. This, in particular, has been most advantageous to me as it allows clients to submit requests with nothing lost in translation.

What do you dislike?

The card view can be greatly improved, particularly in how the view deals with sub tasks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are other solutions for deep project management and tracking with embedded communication tools, but for fast and frequent tasks that need a central point from which to delegate, this is an effective, easy to learn, and quick to implement tool. I've tried others but I keep coming back to Smartsheet.

I use Smartsheet to delegate multimedia assignments to a team of photographers and videographers.

Smartsheet review by Julie B.
Julie B.

"Smartsheet is one of the best tools for collaboration and task reminders"

What do you like best?

Our office has used Smartsheet for several years and we keep finding more uses for it. Especially now that we use Office 365 and you can use as an add-on so you don't even need to leave Outlook and you can upload the email directly to a sheet. No more searching emails. You can even add the attachments in emails right to the sheet. But we do so much with this software. Even our clients benefit. We host soft openings that we send out email invitations through MailChimp. We link an RSVP form to a button in the invitation. When the person clicks to RSVP, they are presented with the form in Smartsheet to fill out. We have formulas that count the number of replies. That is just one thing. If you like organization and software that keeps you on track, this works great.

What do you dislike?

There really is nothing to dislike. Smartsheet keeps adding features that makes it even better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This software is especially great for working on deadlines or with people working remotely so you can share information and track projects.

We create a lot of sheets that help us track where we are on a project. It is nice that several people can be in the sheet viewing and updating at the same time. I also like that I can click in a cell to see who made an update. For one client, we actually made a dynamic inventory that we embedded on their website until a developer could built one that integrated with their eCommerce store.

Smartsheet review by User in Industrial Automation
User in Industrial Automation

"A simple (in a good way) and effective tool for Project Management and Collaboration"

What do you like best?

-Ability to share with unpaid user accounts is very useful

-Nice standardized templates to get started

-Form view for adding data because a) it removes distraction allowing me to focus on one task at a time (whereas with sheet view I tend to jump around too much), and b) for getting other users to update their part of a sheet (the update request feature uses this view by default and it's very effective.

-Update request feature is a great way to track actions from other team members

-Flexibility of instantaneously switching between simple sheet view, Gantt view, card view or calendar view. I use sheet view and card view the most for managing my tasks, and Gantt view heavily for communicating project timeline to other stakeholders

-Alerts feature is great for knowing when a sheet has been updated and where vs. checking it constantly

I could go on and on about great features, but these listed above are the features I use most frequently that help me work more efficiently.

What do you dislike?

Very little to dislike since the UI is intuitive with minimal learning curve and the functionality is ample. However, here are a few complaints:

-Biggest issue is lack of version control. Some kind of ability to restore a previous revision of the sheet would be very useful. One time I accidentally deleted the cell contents of an entire sheet that my team of over 10 people collaborated on to build over 2 days in person. I almost had a nervous breakdown. Fortunately I remembered that I'd exported the whole sheet to an excel file so I was able to restore it. Later, I realized I could view cell history by right-clicking on a cell, but this would be a tedious way to restore an entire sheet back to a previous state.

-The update request feature, which I love and use frequently, initially was not as obvious on how it worked as most other features in Smartsheet. But this is very minor and I still figured it out relatively quickly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For any type of internal project management and/or team collaboration, this is a great tool that any marginally competent person will have no trouble using.

My team works on integration projects across many different teams in the business. Using smartsheet allows everybody to keep informed about the project plan and status. The ability to give edit rights to a user that has a free account to smartsheet means every person involved can access and update their part of the project without needing to obtain a license (which would take time in my organization). I use the project management template heavily to quickly get started on a project plan.

Smartsheet review by Stephanie S.
Stephanie S.

"Great timeline and task tracker tool"

What do you like best?

I like that there are many different templates to work with. Whether it's building a timeline or a simple task tracking list, the options are very versatile and easy to setup. It's a great project management tool for when it comes to timelines and task sheets.

What do you dislike?

While all the necessary tools are there, the frontend looks a bit outdated and oldschool. A design refresh wouldn't hurt. The gantt chart view could also be improved by making it easier to use and populate.

Smartsheets has helped us build tangible and actionable timelines for internal use and clients.

Smartsheet review by Annissa C.
Annissa C.

"Great visualization"

What do you like best?

It's very easy to use especially with the templates.

What do you dislike?

It's hard to build an interesting presentation on your own, and there aren't enough free templates available. Not all templates can be customized to the level of desire.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Think about your audience and think through the presentation before selecting a template, because it's very hard to fit content into a different template aftewards.

With a basic account, you cannot set your presentation to private, nor download the presentation for future use. In a way, your presentation will always be inside a certain person's account, making it harder to store as a company resource for future reference.

Smartsheet review by Caleb A.
Caleb A.

"A versatile, excellent tool that has the functionality you need"

What do you like best?

The product is great for a variety of products. I use it to track various time-sensitive tasks, be aware of when my clients (and potential clients) are publishing various features, and used to use it as a CRM. They continue to add new features and functionality that goes alongside what I need instead of being extraneous features. Creating and maintaining a smartsheet is truly a pleasurable experience.

What do you dislike?

The platform can be slow. There are several sheets I have that are very large in size and loading/scrolling in those sheets is a bad experience. While SmartSheet is great at a lot of things, it's not the best at all of them. I recently switched from using SmartSheet as a CRM to using Streak, and have found it miles better. While SmartSheet was an acceptable platform, it wasn't the best tool for the job.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a very specific use case for managing or keeping track of data, and there isn't already a software that does it well (or within your price range), SmartSheet is great. While it isn't the perfect solution for every use case, it's an excellent solution for a wide variety of use cases.

I use the platform for tracking several different pieces of data. Our company is very small and we have a wide variety of products we sell, so keeping track of the various due dates across several clients can be overwhelming. With SmartSheet, I can easily sort projects by due date, filter out ones that I need to see, color code the various types of projects, and not miss any deadlines.

Smartsheet review by Brian L.
Brian L.

"Good for high-level project management"

What do you like best?

Smartsheet is good for high-level project management where you are managing and tracking projects at a higher-level. It's one step up from managing a project from a spreadsheet. it has extended functionality that makes it easy to manage dependencies, look at the project from a GANTT perspective, and group similar initiatives together.

What do you dislike?

In a sense, Smartsheet is a bit archaic. It definitely doesn't give off the sense it is a new tool, and it can be quite challenging to get started as there are too many buttons and functions.

It doesn't really let you dig one level deeper into each line item.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look around before deciding on the software you need. There are lots of software in this space now that provides the same functionality, but it is much easier to digest for your team.

Smartsheet provided the team and upper management the overview of the overall project and program timelines without going too deep into the underlying working of projects. The actual project and task management were handled in a separate system.

Smartsheet review by James F.
James F.

"our alternative to online excel"

What do you like best?

I like Smartsheet because it gives me the ability to assign user-level privileges, viewer and editor which is very useful in terms of security.

Also we can log comments to cells if we have any feedbacks to provide to the user who added it.

Linking of cells from one sheet to another is one thing I like

What do you dislike?

Main thing I dislike about smartsheet is that it doesn't have auto save function.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Smartsheet comes with trial version so try it now

We are using smartsheet to document our information and track every project task progress

Smartsheet review by Masha P.
Masha P.

"Easy to assess deadlines "

What do you like best?

The dependancies. It's a life saver. Dates change so often in projects so it's nice to just have to change one and show how it impacts the rest of the schedule.

What do you dislike?

Some of the conditioning. It would be great if I could show if a date is past due. I would love to be able to show why something went off the rails.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This tool is best used if there are power users. I find that mainly the project managers use this tool, if we didn't I'm not sure who else would be in the tool.

I'm creating project plans that allow me to determine internal and external deadlines. The biggest benefit is dependancies, it's also nice to see how projects across the board affect each other.

Smartsheet review by Ellen C.
Ellen C.

"Useful for connecting teams on data intensive projects"

What do you like best?

I like the number of tools it offers that make collaboration between many team members easy.

What do you dislike?

It feels like excel and I want it to do a lot of excel things, but many excel formulas like vlookup don’t work in Smartsheet

We have a new ecommerce process that requires a lot of human interaction until we get our automated systems in place. We have used a Smartsheet to track all the sales and have several team members in different t locations contributing. I also like that we have unlimited access for other teammates to view status as well.