SmugMug

News, tips, and Hero support, straight from SmugMug HQ.

Work for SmugMug?

Learning about SmugMug?

SmugMug Reviews

Showing 17 SmugMug reviews
SmugMug review by Brittany C.
Brittany C.

"Smug Mug! So easy to use! My favorite. "

What do you like best?

I love the search option for smug mug helps me to find all the pictures quickly that I need.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it takes me into the album and I would rather just go back to my main search instead of the album itself.

Recommendations to others considering the product

So easy to use, great customer support. Multiple users and such great organization as a company. I love the ability to organize all of our photos in one place and keep them there for all the users to easily access. I also love the ability to search photos and find things for our marketing team and share them with everyone. You can store high-resolution files and store them all there, organized by albums.

We can access all the photos at once as an entire company.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about SmugMug
SmugMug review by Chris A.
Chris A.

"SmugMug Makes It Easy"

What do you like best?

SmugMug was an easy choice to house my images online. They easily streamline a beautiful website/gallery with a sales component for my customers. Customer support with this group is top notch, and the few problems that I run across on a yearly basis are quickly resolved.

What do you dislike?

There's not much to dislike. I have not researched how often they change their website templates, but I would want to see that their web designs keep up with changes in the Internet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Other sites are expensive and don't give you anywhere near the level of customization as SmugMug

I needed a place to sell my images and started using SmugMug. I quickly realized that I could save money moving my website from being hosted on GoDaddy to being hosted through SmugMug and kill two birds with one stone.

What Photo Management solution do you use?

SmugMug review by Kiel M.
Kiel M.

"One of the best options for an avid photographer"

What do you like best?

The unlimited high-res photo storage is hard to beat overall. Many photo storage options charge by size limits, but Smugmug offers unlimited (at least for the tier I use). I like the customizable themes and colors. The price adjustments and variety of product offerings is also nice.

What do you dislike?

I would like more themes, as the pre-made ones are not always the best. While I like the service, support, and options overall, the price is a little high for me as an amateur photographer.

Would be an unbelievably stellar service if I could store RAW files, in addition to JPG/movie files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The service is hard to beat with it's storage options. The only downside is no RAW file storage. The themes are easy to customize but the pre-made ones are not always very professional looking. There are only a few other comparable options, and SmugMug fits in with the best of them, depending on your needs and expectations.

Photo storage, photo sales, and an online portfolio.

SmugMug review by User in Government Administration
User in Government Administration

"Great for organizing and sharing photos for business purposes"

What do you like best?

We recently started using SmugMug and we us it for internal purposes of organizing and storing our photos for marketing purposes. We only share the photos with internal staff.

What do you dislike?

Sometime it is a little slow in the processing of pages and the organizing and moving around of photos. That may be partly because of our network though.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great program for storing and cataloging photos. We don't use the sharing or purchasing features, but it has worked out great for staff using SmugMug to find photos rather than searching through a network drive.

We are using SmugMug as a centralized storage and cataloging system for marketing photos. This system works out a lot better than using a Windows network folder system. We are able to tag metadata with each photo so staff can use the search function to find photos even faster.

SmugMug review by Jessica F.
Jessica F.

"I love Smugmug for my photography business! "

What do you like best?

Smugmug is so easy to use. I was able to make a very professional looking website with my own domain name very quickly without needing to know any code! The price is so reasonable and my site is always up and working! As a photographer I LOVE that I get unlimited photo storage! I use Smugmug as my cloud backup!

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike about Smugmug is the lack of features on the galleries. I was using Smugmug for my client proofing galleries for a few years but moved that service to another provider because Smugmug just doesn't have all of the user friendly features that I need, such as no needing to create a folder and then separate galleries for weddings, or having client-friendly features like favorites lists.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Smugmug definitely to photographers and photographers starting out. When I first started out I was able to use them for everything: Website, Client Galleries, print sales, you name it. Now that my business has grown I have moved my proofing galleries to a new site but still LOVE Smugmug for my website and backing up. It is an easy to use, dependable service at a great price. I have also seen the benefits of their search engine optimization. They make keywording very easy and they work with Google to help your website be seen, which is key!

The biggest problem I have solved with Smugmug is the ability to back up all of my sessions and weddings for a very low monthly cost. That peace of mind is invaluable to me!

SmugMug review by Melissa N.
Melissa N.

"Great photo sharing site. "

What do you like best?

I really like that I can create my own webpage with smugmug. It is an interesting lay out and they give you a free trial to see if you like it. As a photographer it is essential to find the best sites to showcase the work that you want everyone to see. With Smugmug that is possible. The other great thing about the site is the different pricing plans based on your needs.

What do you dislike?

I think that as with most websites there needs to be a free option when it comes to usage. I know that some sites will are a hit and miss when it comes to photography and having people viewing the work that you do and the possibility of buying said work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As with any product I would recommend trying out the website to make sure it would work for you before you decide to go into any full plan with the company.

The problems that I am working on solving with my business is getting a bigger viewer base when it comes to my work and selling it stock.

SmugMug review by Jenn C.
Jenn C.

"I've used it for many years to sell prints and deliver downloads to my photo clients."

What do you like best?

I like the customization options available for setting prices and gallery options. Each customer can personalize their website through Smugmug. Also, their customer service, including live chat, is very helpful.

What do you dislike?

Learning how to work the back end is a little clumsy. I also dislike the payment system. They hold my earnings longer than I'd like.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a good system for professional photographers. The intro level plan has some very limiting factors. However, the pro level is wonderful and a great solution for selling photo prints and digital images.

It takes the place of me mailing cd disks to clients. It makes me and my business much more contemporary and streamlines my precess.

SmugMug review by Kyler B.
Kyler B.

"Smugmug is great for professional photographers for monetizing and storing photos"

What do you like best?

The ability to brand your storefront to match your website or general branding motifs.

What do you dislike?

Creation of galleries can be more time consuming than seems necessary.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check to make sure you need all of its features. If all you need is storage, perhaps Dropbox or Google Photos might be better for you. If you want to sell images and prints, the selection is very good and the control over pricing is excellent as well.

I had a professional photographer who needed to sell prints and digital files for lots of galleries being constantly added, per event.

SmugMug review by Heather B.
Heather B.

"Amazing Visual Experience"

What do you like best?

Stunning array of visual images, recently added feature, photo tagging multiple images, keyword array. Our team depends on visual images to sell to clients, and this allows them to quickly pull images that catch their eyes.

What do you dislike?

Hard to get back to the home page (we have a company site and I always end up at the external smug mug site. Have to download photos to desktop to pop them into our proposals.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Have a plan for loading, organizing and tagging photos. When you have thousands of photos loaded without a plan, it's overwhelming to go back and properly sort and tag. Additionally, be sure to share that strategy internal, and train your team on how to use it.

We need to have quick access to photos for event proposals to our clients. We needed an easily searchable, visual library of images to choose from.

SmugMug review by User

"Media Collection Made Easy!"

What do you like best?

Smugmug has made collecting media content from multiple sources incredibly simple by allowing unlimited individual source links and funnels for content to be uploaded.

What do you dislike?

With all software there is always room for improvement when it comes to UX.

Managing media content can be difficult when using file based options like Dropbox and such. Smugmug makes the process simple on several levels.

"SmugMug Review"

What do you like best?

SmugMug makes it easy for us to upload photos into event galleries, allow for ecommerce/purchasing, and has some great features and customization options.It has always been reliable and serves its purpose.

What do you dislike?

SmugMug is a bit pricier than what we prefer to pay and has many features that we don't need or use but we can't complain about that since it is very reliable and robust.

SmugMug makes it easy for us to upload photos into event galleries, allow for visitors to purchase photos and prints, and professionally showcases images/videos.

"easy and organized"

What do you like best?

I love how smugmug doubles as a cloud for millions of our photos

What do you dislike?

I dislike that I can't search by date or location like you can do with Google Photos.

Access to material for all of our employees. Easy distribution

SmugMug review by User in Photography
User in Photography

"Smugmug"

What do you like best?

I like how my clients can download their high res photos the same size I uploaded them as.

What do you dislike?

I had to upgrade my account to send the zip file to my clients. They should offer that feature at the $5.99 package.

None.

SmugMug review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"SmugMug is a great answer to team projects but has some flaws"

What do you like best?

SmugMug has an attractive display and intuitive user experience. I use SmugMug as part of a shared team and the team members and I are able to easily work on projects simultaneously.

What do you dislike?

The categorization and caption features are poor, and there doesn't seem to be a way to choose recent projects chronologically.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it.

Shared visual projects, easily coordinated.

SmugMug review by User in Civil Engineering
User in Civil Engineering

"Great for what it is"

What do you like best?

The high-res photo storage takes the guesswork out of knowing if all of your photo files are going to fit in one location.

What do you dislike?

At this time, I cannot think of anything I dislike.

As a freelance graphic designer, I am sharing files back and forth with clients a lot. SmugMug has allowed me to keep them all in one central location for easy organization.

SmugMug review by Administrator in Public Relations and Communications
Administrator in Public Relations and Communications

"great"

What do you like best?

very easy to use and navigate. makes photo sharing and purchase easy.

What do you dislike?

there isn't anything I dislike about this producg

gives us a way to share and sell photos

SmugMug review by User in Higher Education

"Smugmug Review"

What do you like best?

Interface, ease of download, password protection

What do you dislike?

Search functionality isn’t very intuitive

Sharing photos with many different constituents with varying levels of privileges

Learning about SmugMug?

* We monitor all SmugMug reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.