SoftLab

SoftLab is a LIS solution built on the latest modem multi-tier client/server architecture.This includes CORBA (Common Object Request Broker Architecture) and Web Services, which promote enterprise-wide connectivity and allow the incorporation of new technologies

Work for SoftLab?

Learning about SoftLab?

SoftLab Reviews

Showing 11 SoftLab reviews
SoftLab review by User in Hospital & Health Care

My Softlab experience

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to add tests on within the computer, and from there the computer system automatically uploads the orders to the line with little to no effort on my part.

What do you dislike?

There isn't a lot to dislike; however, sometimes the orders can be locked if another user is accessing the same patient information, which is more of an inconvenience. This can become an issue if someone leaves the computer/patient tab open and then begins working on other orders. That being said, that is more of a human error than software issue, and issues typically resolve themselves.

Another aspect I dislike about softlab is the fact that their is little to no communication among physician orders. Let me explain, around change or shift for the Hospitalists, there is typically an upwards tick in the sheer volume of tests ordered for patients. However, many of these tests have already been run just hours ago, and the nurses all have access to the results, but not every doctor taking care of a patient may be aware that a CBC or BMP (for example) may have just been run or even resulted right before they clocked in. I guess what I'm trying to say is, if one doctor orders a test for a John Doe at 2am and then goes home, and the next physician comes in at 4am, they may order the exact same test on a patient without seeing that the test was just run. As a phlebotomist, I think we could benefit by seeing exactly what test and what doctor ordered the test on our handhelds (connected to softlab) so we can at least advocate on the patients behalf, or at the very least, the software should automatically forward or upload results to a patients chart, and sync that information to all of their health care providers and not just one physician . Or maybe that already happens and some doctors don't read through the entire chart before reordering tests.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Softlab does take a lot of getting used to. I use it four days a week and still run into questions I need another employee to help me out with.

My recommendation is to use the a billing number or MRN to look up a patients order, otherwise you may be searching forever trying to look someone up by their name (learned that my first week).

Disclaimer: I am a phlebotomist so my experience is only with consolidating, retiming, cancelling, sometimes looking up results, or expanding miscellaneous orders. I have no idea how to use most other aspects of softlab.

Personally some of the issues I have solved using softlab is the retiming/cancellation of orders, as well as consolidation of tests and test results. As a Clinical Lab Assistant/ Phlebotomist, we really on the SoftLab system to tell us on the floor which tubes we have to draw or what tests a patient has ordered via Epic. In other words, when a physician places an order in epic, that information is transferred to our SoftLab handhelds and notify us phlebotomists what type of sample we need to collect from a specific patient. The biggest benefit I have noticed is consolidation of orders, as well as an almost immediate interaction between EPIC and Softlab.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about SoftLab
SoftLab review by User in Hospital & Health Care

Soft Lab Review

What do you like best?

So far, the program has been extremely user friendly, although the interface design seems very basic/old-school, so it's not exactly appealing. However, that's just on the surface. When using the program, it is actually quite versatile and easy to maneuver. No major issues encountered so far!

What do you dislike?

Just the appearance, it has an old computer interface appearance, but that's just on the surface. It's otherwise very user friendly. There are some limitations to the search functions that prevent us from performing more generic searches when we need to.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very user friendly despite how it looks and how many buttons there are! You'll find that there is a separate program built for different departments (ie. SoftLab for Micro, Chem, etc).

We use SoftLab as the system for entering and resulting out patient data on the laboratory side. It has been very versatile (multiple programs within the Soft Interface for different departments of the laboratory), and has been easy to maneuver (i.e. searching for patient information, pulling up previous results). It does not crowd out too much, not too clunky as I have experienced in other companies. There are some limitations in the search functions that prevent us from pulling up a whole list of results (we can only see one test result at a time rather than the entire panel on the patient if we were to search by a single test). Otherwise, it has been useful overall.

What LIMS solution do you use?

SoftLab review by <span>Tina O.</span>
Tina O.

softlab

What do you like best?

Soft Lab is very customizable so it is quick and easy to use. When new tests are added to the laboratory profile, it is not difficult to add them to the Soft menu. It is easy to customize comments and messages.

What do you dislike?

Because it is so customizable, it is dependent on the laboratory to make the menus organized. There are some menu options that are hard to find. It is also a little hard for the less-technologically inclined to get used to because there are so many options available.

The laboratory is constantly changing and tests are constantly being added and amended. Policies and procedures need to be up to date. The main benefit of Soft Lab is being able to edit the menus in order to reflect these changes.

SoftLab review by <span>Even M.</span>
Even M.

Great program for specimen management

What do you like best?

Ability to perform multiple tasks in one program such as cataloging, tracking, and workstation redirection from one facility to another.

What do you dislike?

Learning curve, some instruction needed to master.

The ability to go paperless and integrate handheld PDA systems to track phlebotomy draws and limit the number of unnecessary lab recollections

SoftLab review by <span>Mohammed E.</span>
Mohammed E.

Medical Technologist review for Soft Label

What do you like best?

Easy navigation very user friendly to receive samples and verify results

What do you dislike?

Nothing at the moment since I’ve used it

Easier navigation that provide the platform necessary to assure the ability to provide doctors with lab results quicker than before

SoftLab review by User in Computer Software

Softlab

What do you like best?

The number of customization options you get really steals the show. Multitasking and portability is another great feature. Once you get familiar with the software, it's really easy to use.

What do you dislike?

The software is not very intuitive at the start. You have to have some tutorials in order to begin with the software.

I worked at UIC hospital on a project. Used the software there along with my project group

Learning about SoftLab?

* We monitor all SoftLab reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.