SoftwareKey Licensing System

5.0

SoftwareKey System is a set of software development tools that help programmers implement copy protection, license activation and management, metering, eCommerce, and business automation.

Work for SoftwareKey Licensing System?

Learning about SoftwareKey?

SoftwareKey Licensing System Reviews

Ask SoftwareKey a Question
Showing 20 SoftwareKey reviews
SoftwareKey review by Leo R.
Leo R.

" Full-featured software licensing solution at a great value"

What do you like best?

-Great value for the set of features they offer. That's my conclusion after researching all other available solutions on the market for desktop software license protection.

-Stellar customer support which is fast and efficient.

-Rich developer materials. I needed to integrate the SoftwareKey system with 2Checkout e-commerce solution - which seemed like a daunting task. I expected it to take at least a couple of weeks - or hiring a developer to do the job. Fortunately, SoftwareKey had a library of PHP scripts that covers all the necessary tasks for license creation. Within a couple of days I had a basic working solution for license key generation from 2Checkout calls.

-In addition to the complete licensing solution it was important to me to have a self-serve license portal for the users where they can manage their activations. SoftwareKey offers just that - and the portal is also highly customizable.

What do you dislike?

Nothing yet - and hopefully it won't change.

I'm switching from another license provider I used for over 10 years (and who ceased the development of their solution). So I knew exactly what set of existing features I need - as well as more advanced options not offered by my previous provider. And preferably at a better price. SoftwareKey turned to be the provider who satisfies my requirements.

I also had some very specific custom requirements for different license and product types - which I wasn't sure can be easily implemented (if at all). It turned out that with SoftwareKey I could achieve the flexibility I need - and even easier than I expected. Something that's not directly implemented in their system can be done through custom coding on my end.

Their SDK samples is another benefit worth mentioning. They fully cover every aspect of license management and make it easy to integrate SoftwareKey system into your software. As an additional advantage for me, their macOS samples are fully wrapped in Objective-C - which saved a great deal of time for me to implement the system in my Mac products.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about SoftwareKey Licensing System
SoftwareKey review by Michael P. G.
Michael P. G.

"The SoftwareKey System is the complete package!"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that it is a completely turnkey solution, from the development pulls, the website, the way you can tailor it to look like my website, I like everything about it. It's complete. I could have used the simpler way of not integrating the code, but I wanted to develop it and code it into my program completely so that it works seemlessly with my site. And I wanted to make sure that everything was set up right, and that required more than your standard support. I was willing to pay for additional help, and you have the Jump Start program, and I signed up for that. You worked with me to get it scheduled, because my schedule has been so tight. And you guys were thorough. You went through all the settings and checked under the hood for me, and made sure we had everything set up right.

What do you dislike?

Only 1 thing - I found that there was someone who was trying to download my program, letting it expire, and then download it again, letting it expire, etc. There wasn't a way to get around that using the system, but my developer was able to figure out how to stop it by tracking the IP address. I was disappointed that SoftwareKey didn't think of it...

I wanted to be able to give away fully functional software, but have people not abuse it. I was able to accomplish that with your software because I could license it, then cut them off. We've done a very limited launch, and haven't really launched it yet because we wanted to get it out & get feedback. We'll be doing a big push to 12,600 people who use what we sell on Facebook. That will be the real test, but I'm confident that the SoftwareKey System can handle it.

What Software Asset Management solution do you use?

SoftwareKey review by Ian B.
Ian B.

"SoftwareKey's Protection Plus for all your Copy Protection needs."

What do you like best?

Simplicity and ease of use/integration of Protection Plus into my Delphi Apps as well as the ease of implementing the End User interface for registration and module enable/disable changes. The software and support Apps are seamless in their operation/use. Having said that I have only used/deployed Protection Plus v 4. Whilst I am sure it is a significant enhancement over v 4, for my purposes I found Protection Plus v 5 confusing and complicated.

What do you dislike?

Nothing I can think of. SoftwareKey's Protection Plus does everything I need att. Provided of course they continue to support my developement environment, Delphi, with version 4. :-) Having said that, it appears that development of v 4 has stalled while they focus on v 5. Not a big issue and in common with many other software vendors.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommended. You can't really go wrong with SoftwareKey's Protection Plus.. SoftwareKey's product is great and their support is first class.

I use it in all my Customer's Delphi Apps.

I use Protection Plus to control copy protection, implementation, registration, module ennoblement & usage of Apps in a Customer's network environment. In one Customer's case this covers 12 Apps. By using Protection Plus by SoftwareKey I can control the registration, enable & disable functional modules and/or Apps, and the number of allowed concurrent users at a Customer's site, without having to be present..

I don't use their on-line functionality, my client base and needs are not that great so all licensing and interaction is one-on-one with the Customer's representative.

SoftwareKey review by Noel C.
Noel C.

"SoftwareKey has been solid and reliable for us - we use PLUSNative 5 / Instant SOLO"

What do you like best?

We started back in 2009 with the PLUSNative sample code and within hours had their demo building and working with the online Instant SOLO service. Within a few days we had implemented an activation and license management subsystem in our graphics products. We've never even considered another solution since.

Instant SOLO server just works and is apparently always online, as I can't even recall anyone complaining that they were blocked from buying a license through their browser because the server was down.

The folks at SoftwareKey have always been responsive and genuinely helpful. They truly have an entrepreneurial spirit.

What do you dislike?

I thought about this one for a while and honestly couldn't think of anything I dislike about SoftwareKey's service or software. I'm proud to include their technology in our products.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go through the process of bringing up the sample code and see how it works. Online integration of your software need not be scary.

We have a growing internet software business where customers purchase software licenses online. Our software is activated via the SoftwareKey PLUSNative product embedded, and the Instant SOLO server managed by SoftwareKey provides activation information after the license is purchased. All in all, our customers experience a slick, integrated process.

A benefit: Prices are reasonable: We get to keep almost all the revenue from our sales - a far better deal than selling through an App Store.

A benefit: Our customer support load is nearly nonexistent. It was quite low under PLUSNative 4 when we used trigger codes, but now with PLUSNative 5 literally months go by without our hearing from any customer regarding trouble with licensing and activation. The response time from the all the SoftwareKey technology working together online is virtually instantaneous.

SoftwareKey review by Jerry K.
Jerry K.

"Experiences with SoftwareKey"

What do you like best?

From an integration viewpoint, this was straight-forward, starting from the supplied SDK, and modifying to suit. There is a lot of flexibility in the system, meaning we can consider feature-unlocking based on license type sold, while shipping one executable. That's a big win. Support is excellent ... these guys understand what support really is. They genuinely want to help.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. The only point I'm wary of is my company's requirements to be Data Protection compliant (we are UK-based), so we have elected to handle that aspect internally (SoftwareKey are US-based).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Based on my experience to date (few months), I would definitely recommend this, especially as the cost is very reasonable.

Two aspects: wider trialing (with controlled license expiry / conversion), and the ability to implement various license options dynamically (feature enabling). Early days yet. Still putting together back-office systems (automation) before we launch.

SoftwareKey review by Mark F.
Mark F.

"GREAT Software comes with GREATER Support"

What do you like best?

Stable, can't be cracked, easy to implement.

Quality support from polite, knowledgeable staff

What do you dislike?

In ten years I have not had too much trouble. I would say it is a bit light on in the reporting area - lots of reports that do not apply to me , but a couple very useful. No proper export facilities of the Solo DB and sales

Recommendations to others considering the product

Buy it/Implement It

my product PDF-eXPLODE (www.pdf-explode.com) sells a unique brand of automatic document delivery. It has 1000++ clients across over 25 countries from each continent and various network environments. Licensing for the product is from SWKey using SOLO

SoftwareKey review by Eric B.
Eric B.

"We found a Great Partner in SoftwareKey!"

What do you like best?

SoftwareKey was very easy to setup for our development team. However, what I really liked was how easy it was for our customers to use.

What do you dislike?

This is a solid product. However, with any products we use that contain large sums of data I can always see room for improvements with reporting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend using SoftwareKey!

We are better able to track our customers around the globe. Solving this problem has allowed us to grow our market share in certain parts of the world.

SoftwareKey review by Administrator in E-Learning
Administrator in E-Learning

"Reliable software protection we have used since 2002"

What do you like best?

We have used Software Key to protect our installed computer-based training courses since 2002. Rarely have we required support, but wherever we do, it is speedy and helpful. While the software always met our needs, over the years it has continuously improved making it easier for us to administer, but more importantly, easier for our customers to use. Over the years we have many record-keeping systems to track customer usage and billing of our products, but ultimately, the data in Software key proved to be the easiest to maintain, accurate and simple to access.

What do you dislike?

There is really nothing that we didn't like about Protection Plus and Software Key.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have no idea of what competitive products are out there. When we chose Protection Plus it was the only option that would work for us and since it works so well, we haven't looked into other options.

We needed to protect elearning courses that we sell as installed software. It was tricky to do since we didn't need to protect the main installation, but each of the courses that runs in the main installation, but our programmer worked with Protection Plus and figured out a way to make it work. That was in 2002 and we have been using Protection Plus since then. We felt we need to protect our software against people unknowingly misusing it. It worked...often we would get people trying to install our software in other sites of a company which was against our license. I don't think that people intentionally (most of the time) tried to get around our license, but when they did, we knew about it.

SoftwareKey review by Chuck V.
Chuck V.

"Software Key is reliable"

What do you like best?

First and foremost, It works and when we need help we get it.

- Dependability is second to none - of any product I have used in the last 3 decades.

- They are receptive to constructive criticism, and are always honest in their approach.

- The ability to control all licensing activations and operations from a central panel makes life so much easier.

What do you dislike?

The reporting on metrics is somewhat lacking, but they can create custom queries/reports to get the job done. They created one for us, which allows us to view our licensing base - and what version they are on - in the blink of an eye.

Proper licensing ensures installation and end-user legal compliance.

Their systems are 100% dependable and the solution is cost effective.

SoftwareKey review by Mike N.
Mike N.

"A Better Solution for Software Licensing"

What do you like best?

It's easier to use than the hardware keys we'd used for decades, implementation is faster, more key-based options can be stored, and it's less expensive on an annual basis than both hardware keys and many competitive software solutions we investigated.

What do you dislike?

Nothing comes to mind. Filling space to meet the minimum character requirement.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We've been using software licensing technology since 1988. There are many very expensive systems out there that deliver far less than Software Key.

Licensing is an unfortunate necessity to prevent theft. This solution saves significant time that otherwise might be spent programming individual hardware keys (dongles), and the responsibility of key programming has been off-loaded to accounting personnel rather than taking up time for engineering personnel.

SoftwareKey review by Ann R.
Ann R.

"SoftwareKey is a business partner you can trust."

What do you like best?

Our business has continued to grow over the years while maintaining our employee size, and we have become known for our outstanding customer service. We handle all our technical support via email and telephone and always strive to be a friendly voice for our customers when they call us. That’s one thing that we love about SoftwareKey. If we have a question or issue, we can get answers quickly with an email. If we need to call, we get that same friendly voice at the other end. It’s a value that you can’t put a price on.

What do you dislike?

There was nothing that I disliked working with SoftwareKey.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Over the years, we’ve needed custom programming done. For example, when we planned to upgrade our main software, SoftwareKey wrote a custom script to help us verify an existing license for the purpose of upgrading. Getting custom work done has never been a problem. The scripts have always been well written, very accurate and done promptly.

My company began working with SoftwareKey ten years ago to help us protect our flagship software. Our original association was because our company had been victimized by a torrent download site that was giving away our software for free. Since we were a small, hard-working group of 12 employees, we were devastated that our hard work and the livelihood of our company’s existence was being given away. Our software needed protection.

SoftwareKey was the perfect answer. Their products helped us to easily wrap and protect our executables. The software was easy to learn and use. We found that we actually had better contact with our customers via SoftwareKey’s activation and registration system.

SoftwareKey review by Christopher D.
Christopher D.

"High quality license protection and delivery solution with top-notch support."

What do you like best?

As a developer I really like the flexibility of the SDK and tools for implementing custom license protection, activation, and management that I have implemented for many products. Furthermore, the support is always prompt and has responded with actual product enhancements.

What do you dislike?

Since I've been able to implement every licensing scheme we have wanted, there are no gripes at this time!

Recommendations to others considering the product

SoftwareKey's offerings, from the SOLO Server to Protection Plus, have everything you need for a simple complete software delivery solution or a complex customized one.

Over ten years ago, we chose SoftwareKey to replace our insufficient home-grown license protection scheme. We were then able to confidently make product trials available for download and make online license activation available, even with a subscription model. We also use SoftwareKey for enabling a floating network license.

SoftwareKey review by Heloise L.
Heloise L.

"5 Star Company"

What do you like best?

We worked with SoftwareKey to streamline one of our software license processes...it had proved tricky and no one in the past had provided a suitable solution. SoftwareKey were great! They provided a robust and professional solution and their support was fantastic - I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

What do you dislike?

Can't think of anything. So tricky to give relevant feedback here!

It streamlines our software license distribution and cuts out a very cumbersome manual process.

SoftwareKey review by Bela B.
Bela B.

"Easy to use!"

What do you like best?

Search option is optimal with many choices available.

What do you dislike?

Adding shipping types. It is tiresome to add multiple shipping means

Customer service is a breeze because all information and activity is located on one screen.

SoftwareKey review by Sterren F.
Sterren F.

"Fantastic solutions provider who will bend over backwards to help"

What do you like best?

They really put their customers first and respond very quickly and effectively to support queries raised. Their software is also well designed and powerfully featured.

What do you dislike?

The SOLO Server product and license configuration options are sometimes confusing to understand and takes a while to get right.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take advantage of their fantastic support.

We have been able to provide entitlement management and software protection capabilities to two new .NET software products we are in the process of launching.

SoftwareKey review by David P.
David P.

"Great service for platform specific libraries"

What do you like best?

Quick turnaround on work. Very easy to work with

What do you dislike?

I had no negative experiences. Working with SoftwareKey was great.

We were quickly able to integrate licensing into our product. The SoftwareKey team also produced the required libraries for ARMv8 which they had never built before for a reasonable price. The team produced the libraries quickly allowing us to license our software on that architecture easily.

SoftwareKey review by Steve  E.
Steve E.

"Always available and helpful"

What do you like best?

Softwarekey staff were always available and helpful...and their system worked perfect for us.

What do you dislike?

There was nothing that we didn't like about softwarekey.

Softwarekey enabled us to sell our products without fear of them being pirated and shared among the small community that is our customer base. I doubt if we would have survived without it.

SoftwareKey review by Joe H.
Joe H.

"Affordable licensing solution and a great support team."

What do you like best?

Their team was willing to work with us on a couple of custom needs we had and provided great support for our licensing needs for 6+ years.

What do you dislike?

My only gripe was the limitation on trial licenses. We had to contact them to reset a trial instead of having the ability to do so ourselves.

We were able to go to market with confidence, knowing that our software would be protected against piracy.

SoftwareKey review by User

"Simplified Product with Excellent Support"

What do you like best?

When it comes to streamline the customized licensing, Protection PLUS is your best bet. Their incredible support and commitment helped us deliver licenses to our clients and distributors across the globe with least efforts. The SDK is easy to implement and doesn't take long to customize according to our needs.

What do you dislike?

The labor cost is bit on the higher side.

Customized - composite licensing

SoftwareKey review by User in Computer Software

"Long Term Development Relationship"

What do you like best?

The simplicity of LFEdit and ability to incorporate licensing in our applications. We started our development partnership 14 years ago and today, consider the SoftwareKey products integral to our continued success. A thank you to the SoftwareKey team!

What do you dislike?

I really have no complaints with the product. The software has performed dependably as a software licensing system for Microsoft VS 2008-2017 environments.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Download a trial

N/A

Learning about SoftwareKey Licensing System?

* We monitor all SoftwareKey Licensing System reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.