Want to see who topped the 2019 Best Software Awards?
SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer

(89 reviews)

NetFlow Traffic Analyzer network traffic analyzer and bandwidth monitoring software

Work for SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer?

Learning about SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer?

Compare SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer to Similar Solutions

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer Reviews

Ask SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer a Question
Showing 90 SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer reviews
SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by John D.
John D.

"A great bolt on for NCM"

What do you like best?

The level of detail and integration with Cisco NBAR2 data. The design of the interface is well thought out and layered allowing for a very intuitive experience when trying to drill down into an issue.

What do you dislike?

You need to add yet another device or vm to support the database but I don't know that there is any better way to handle the flow data. The product itself is pricey and only runs in-house so be ready to build a strong business case

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pay attention to the system requirements and be very careful when considering your SQL system. NTA is looking at flow data which will take a lot of disk speed and storage space if you're not careful about how much data you attempt to ingest.

We have a lot of individual properties and we use it to help us resolve performance issues at the individual properties. Additionally we have been very successful in using the data to identify potential security issues like narrowing down the source of ransomware infections and identifying devices that were transmitting via malware that were missed by our other edge and host level services.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer
SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by Tom I.
Tom I.

"More than Flow"

What do you like best?

Network Traffic Analyzer is like a data warehouse of traffic meta data. You can view large amounts of data sliced so many ways that it makes it easy to focus in on what is consuming your network bandwidth.

What do you dislike?

The way that it identifies sources of "flow" data can sometimes lead to false alerts about unknown sources. I wish you could identify a source by ALL of its known IP addresses.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Most modern devices support sending this type of traffic to NTA. Be careful with some older network gear as today's traffic loads can crush their CPUs if flow is turned on. This has nothing to do with NTA, but in implementation, make sure your devices can handle the additional collection and export of the data.

It helps us to identify network traffic so we can take corrective action. Sometimes that involves informing users of inappropriate behavior. Other times it is a scheduled task that is running at the wrong time. Less frequently we escalate to management the need for additional bandwidth at a remote office. NTA gives use the insight necessary to make these types of decisions when it comes to network performance issues.

What Network Monitoring solution do you use?

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by Kevin T.
Kevin T.

"Review for NTA"

What do you like best?

I like the granulariness (I know spelling but I like this word). To be able to drill down and see what is happening in our county offices is a must when a user calls and complains they are slow.

What do you dislike?

I guess the only thing I can think of is when a user calls and we check NTA and we don't see anything. That can be disheartening because then I have to dig deeper to see why.

Problem used to be an office would call about being slow. Until NTA all we did was have them reboot their pc but now we can narrow it down to a single pc or even if it is affecting the whole state we can drill down and find what is sucking the life blood of our network. We get to tattle on people if they are listening to music like pandora.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by Joseph L.
Joseph L.

"NTA - My Secret Weapon Against Problem Users"

What do you like best?

The richness of detail, and ability to drill down into individual endpoints, protocols, domains etc, means I can usually work my way to exactly the information I need without having to leave the NTA window.

What do you dislike?

It only displays the data if the node is already monitored (due to using NetFlow data in conjunction with SNMP data I assume) so sometimes I don't get the data straight away (some of my devices are monitored on more than 1 interface, but only monitored on one using SNMP)...

Recommendations to others considering the product

Collect as much data as you can get away with without causing a substantial performance hit, and ensure historical data is dealt with in a way best suited to your needs, and you will have a very useful tool in your toolbox!

Customer complains of slow network performance.

Detection of potentiall malicious/illegal traffic (Torrents especially).

Customers abusing their work networks.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by Grant A.
Grant A.

"Network Bandwidth Analyzer"

What do you like best?

There are a few bits I like about NTA monitoring and analysing network bandwidth performance and traffic patterns also Identify bandwidth hogs and see which applications are using the most bandwidth.

Seeing what apps are using the data is very useful as well.

What do you dislike?

I think that the search function can be convoluted and clunky to use. This should really be improved.

Also troubleshooting devices that don't seem to want to play ball can be hard. you don't really get any information from Solarwinds.

Solarwinds have just released Network Insight and I find that doesn't fully integrate yet. I think its there on the road map however it would be nice to have data from Network insight for ASA matching with Netpath and with Netflow. That would give a much greater view of traffic across the network right down to use level.

I believe these are further releases to come in 2018 and 2019.

reporting on Netflow can also be a bit counter intuitive at times but in general is good.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Maker sure your switches and routers have netflow capabilities. Also having nbar 2 devices helps being able to see what apps and sites are being used.

Netflow lite devices are also another caution to be aware of.

Using Nbar2 we have been able to identify rouge apps hogging our bandwidth.

We have identified area's/users that are using more bandwidth then they should. This stopped us upgrading our bandwidth and save the company money.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by Phillip C.
Phillip C.

"Cisco Netflow Taffic Analyzer"

What do you like best?

It works seamlessly with Cisco NetFlow devices. It only requires you to direct your NetFlow data to the SolarWinds collector and it does the rest. Reporting and analysis is easy and straight forward.

What do you dislike?

It isn't SolarWinds that is the real problem. Cisco ASAs only support NetFlow and not the latest traffic flows. SolarWinds handles them all.

Recommendations to others considering the product

SolarWinds is a solid product. It does everything you need when it comes to monitoring your network traffic needs. It works well with a Cisco infrastructure and gives you a very broad view of what the traffic on your network looks like.

It has shown me the way traffic is moving through my network. It allows me to see the type of traffic and who is creating the traffic. When bandwidth is at a premium, this information is vital.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by M R.
M R.

"Manage your switch configurations and back ups with ease."

What do you like best?

NCM has completely changed the way we backup and monitor our daily configs. It has eliminated manual backups and brought a peace of mind due to scheduling and alerting. One of the best features is being able to update multiple switches with one script, in a matter of minutes. Before NCM it would take so much time backing up and configuring switches on mass. Comparing new and old configs is another great feature, which can bring to your attention config changes in a matter of seconds. We have even started using it for firmware upgrades which has recently been implemented. Definitely worth the money.

What do you dislike?

NCM's initial set up for each switch can be time consuming but it's not too difficult. Sometimes restoring switch config can be a little fiddly but is far better than doing it manually. It has license limitations which can be costly the more devices you want to add.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're tired of backing up switch and router configs and want a system that basically manages it all for you then NCM is what you need. It also allows to push config out to hundreds of devices at once. Watching it complete in a matter of minutes is quite satisfying.

It has become a huge time saver and has often brought down time to absolute minimum, because you already have the config backed up and ready to go. It is our complete configurations backup solution which we rely on everyday.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by User in Apparel & Fashion
User in Apparel & Fashion

"Solid Answers for Network Questions"

What do you like best?

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer is a nice compliment to the other SolarWinds products. It allows us to see what our network traffic is and to drill down to find more information easily. It integrates well with the whole suite of products to help have a complete view of our network health.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the user interface is not quite as intuitive as other products I've used. It can take a moment to learn the ins and outs to get the information you want at first. A little time with the interface will help with the learning curve. Not much of a learning curve if you already are familiar with other SolarWinds products.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are already a SolarWinds user, NetFlow Traffic Analyzer is a no-brainer. Take the free trial your SolarWinds rep will gladly offer and see for yourself.

We get the dreaded "slow network" tickets from users and this helps us identify the cause of any issues. We can see what interfaces, what protocols and what user to focus on quickly. It has lowered our mean time to resolution quite a bit.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by Alejandro P.
Alejandro P.

"Very helpfull to undestand your network traffic"

What do you like best?

NTA give you a full detail of the package that are passing in your network, you can see all the details is see if is a user the bottleneck or is from outside your network. NTA is very helpful for troubleshooting it realy help you.

If you set up the correct alarms you will be notified before a problem happen. Solarwinds NTA, give you a good data to understand the behavior of your network.

What do you dislike?

Solarwinds sell all the software package separately, so you need to license each product depending of the devices that you have in your network, so you need to consider all the devices that you need to monitor from the beginning and but all the products that you will need

Recommendations to others considering the product

NTA will make your life easier if you are looking for a tool with god support and a lot knowledge on their website. If you don't include a training with the initial purchase you can find a lot of documentation on the solarwinds page, and also you can join the live class on line. So you will get a good tool and a good support.

Other recommendation is do a god plan from the beginning and include all the bundles that you will need to understand and monitoring the best your network.

The best, is that give you in detail the information of your network, you can add different devices from diffrents vendor without problem. You do not need a specific software for each network vendor that you have in your datacenter.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by Administrator

"SolarWinds Orion Netflow Traffic Analyzer is a must have tool. "

What do you like best?

What I love about NTA is that I was able to implement it quickly. It was easy to let novices or other technical personnel use the tool to get valuable information with out have to give them a lot of training, This tool is easy to learn how to use via it's intuitive user interface. It gives the ability to see what and how your network is being used.

What do you dislike?

I don't have any major dislikes. I have been using NTA for over 10 years, I have been able to work with this tool as it has evolved and improved over that time. It is an integrated part of our network management strategy. I can't imagine not having access to this tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try the evaluation, In one month you you see the benefits of this tool. I know there are other tools being offered from other vendors. I have looked at them, Nothing I have found can compare to NTA.

We are continually using this tool to measure how the network is being used, I have created a number of reports that show utilization of applications and conversations, that used to track the overall use of the network and is reported monthly to upper management.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by Mark W.
Mark W.

"Another great Solarwinds product. NCM will make your life easier."

What do you like best?

Scheduling back ups and knowing that they are being done is a great load off your mind. Knowing that not only do you have a backup, but you have several versions of that back to refer to if need be, is also a great peace. NCM saves us so much time and allows us to send config to multiple devices in a matter of minutes, which not only saves times, but gets things up and running in no time.

What do you dislike?

Per device NCM can be time consuming, especially if those devices do not have SNMP set up. As you have to rely on SNMP, this can sometimes get frustrating. It is also quite expensive as you grow in your IT infrastructure due to licensing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's an excellent module and will save you so much time. If you're backing up, reporting, need alerts on changes or simply pushing one line of config to all your devices, NCM does it seamlessly. Worth the investment.

It has saved us time being the biggest problem solver. It has helped us keep regular backups without anyone having to do anything manually. It helps get switches and routers back up and running in no time, as we can restore configs in a few clicks.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by Robert R.
Robert R.

"Putting out Network Fires when they are only a smoldering ember. "

What do you like best?

I can check from any time frame and it begins with telling me who is using the most bandwidth as well as what kind of traffic it is.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes get DATA IS NOT AVAILABLE on the Summary Pages. But doing a specific time period will get me the data I require.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do the trials. That was what sold me on the product. You can't beat seeing it in action right in your environment. Makes the decision much easier to decide to go with Solarwinds. Also the support team is eager and ready to help from the initial install all the way to production.

Although there have been some drawbacks, Solarwinds has been working to fix any issues by releasing updates to their software. I just checked their website and found out that my issue has been resolved with the latest version.

Also the Customer Portal is very useful for finding out what software you have, when it will expire and all other information you might want to know about your products. Plus having the same support team support different products that Solarwinds provides makes it all the much better.

We have a multitude of remote sites with very little bandwidth to spare. So finding who is taking up the bandwidth is a short period of time gets everyone back to work.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by Joel G.
Joel G.

"Solarwinds Netflow Traffic Analyzer"

What do you like best?

Visibility at the network edge. I have used this software to troubleshoot emergency situations where visibility into amount and type of traffic is required as well as identification of source and destination. This product does a great job of visualizing that data in a useful way. This product visualizes the different type of applications traversing the links exporting flow data so you can easily identify what is using the most bandwidth and whether that is appropriate for your environment.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really, the only negative I guess is that some vendors do not support a flow protocol and so cannot be monitored with this, but that's not Solarwinds' fault. Use of this application results in a very busy database. At the time that I was actively using the software, it can result in a system that can perform poorly if you don't watch your database performance and tune it appropriately.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure your hardware supports a netflow protocol supported by NTA (netflow, Juniper J-Flow, sflow, nbar2) before purchasing. Use their free 30-day trial.

Beyond troubleshooting immediate issues, reports can be generated and sent out giving management a better idea of how our bandwidth is used and why we need more or less or certain decisions need to be made.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by Steven M.
Steven M.

"Solar Winds Net Flow Traffic Analyzer is a Great Tool for your Troubleshooting Arsenal"

What do you like best?

Solar Winds Net Flow Traffic Analyzer lets me see traffic patterns up to the minute, allowing me to troubleshoot bandwidth issues rapidly. Solar Winds Net Flow Traffic Analyzer also allows me to identify application issues, traffic issues, as well as end user bandwidth hogs. Solar Winds Net Flow Traffic Analyzer helps improve my ability to ensure our network is up and operational for our clients, tenants, as well as our employees.

Also, because Solar Winds Net Flow Traffic Analyzer integrates into our other Solar Winds products such as Network Performance Monitor, Solar Winds Server and Application Monitor, and Solar Winds End User Device Tracker, it helps us create a central dashboard where we can quickly identify problem areas and resolve them quickly and efficiently.

What do you dislike?

Solar Winds Net Flow Traffic Analyzer takes a lot of time configuring unless you're good with seeing "Un-Monitored traffic"

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's not the end-all, be-all, magic bullet to solve all your issues, but is a great addition to any tool sets you currently use.

With Solar Winds Net Flow Traffic Analyzer, we have been able to identify chatty applications and have segmented them off our primary network. Also, Solar Winds Net Flow Traffic Analyzer has assisted us in being able to identify bandwidth hogs (end users) and disabled their access.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by Matthew R.
Matthew R.

"Greater insight into your slow network!"

What do you like best?

Netflow is one of the better solarwinds modules that we use everyday. It brings great insight into your bandwidth and can show you exactly what is going on. It has helped with the age old issue 'the network is slow', as more often than not it is due to bandwidth; and now we can see exactly why it is slow and stop it. The historical information is another great help, as you can see previous bandwidth hogs as to why the network was under performing at a given time.

What do you dislike?

Set up can be a little complex, especially in a complex network. It requires a separate server to run efficiently which isn't always practical or cheap.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking to save a lot of time hunting network performance issues and slow down, NTA is a fantastic tool and worth the effort of set up and the cost.

It highlights bandwidth hogs and it allows our network to work more efficiently. It helps keep the network performing well and highlights potential issues almost everyday. It also saves us a lot of time in diagnosing a slow network call, which can often be solved in a few minutes.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by Matt R.
Matt R.

"A complete insight to your network"

What do you like best?

Netflow is one of the best applications we use as a company. It helps you visually detect problems with your bandwidth almost instantly. Once it is all set up it literally takes few minutes to find the problem device (or user) and bring the network back to normal running state. The alerting system makes it even better by bringing high utilisation to your attention before it starts causing problems. Newtflow saves a lot of time and brings clarity to you network issues.

What do you dislike?

Newflow isn't the easiest to set up and does take a little tweaking to get it performing as you want. The interface isn't always the easiest when singling out a particular range or device.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Anyone who wants a clearer understanding of what is currently going on on their network should seriously look at netflow. It will shows you what is going on and past events also. The historical information can bring further information to your attention and highlight trends and other useful information.

The main problem it solves is how much time you normally to take to find the problem. It immediately highlights bandwidth problems so you can address them instantly. It also shows when there isn't a bandwidth problem and helps you go to the next step of diagnostics without wasting time. It also highlights to the customer that the slow down in network performance is due to utilisation rather than saying, "sorry we weren't sure what that was!".

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by Nathan B.
Nathan B.
View Original

"NTA provided the level of detail required to troubleshoot bandwidth issues"

What do you like best?

The Conversation's section to quickly identify the bandwidth hog on the network, also being able to tell what type of traffic is very helpful as well as create our own applications via port number.

What do you dislike?

organization of the GUI interface can be confusing sometimes when navigating, such as the time period isn't in a clear spot, moving it to a area where you can see would make sense.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I Like how it all works together with NPM and other SW products

Complains of site slowness we can drill down and look at what all of traversing the circuit at any particular time frame.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by Derik P.
Derik P.

"SolarWInds NTA Review "

What do you like best?

Netflow Traffic Analyzer (NTA) is a great product for finding the who, what ,when of traffic utilization. I have seen first hand how this product has identified traffic, applications, and conversations that were causing bandwidth issues or concerns. By taking this information and reviewing it, it has saved Clients from having to spend money on upgrades or have caught rogue systems or applications performing actions during business hours. It is easy to define custom Applications and even IP groups to look for aggregate bandwidth usage.

What do you dislike?

NTA is based on Layer 3 flow data, which in some environments are limited and thus missing out on seeing traffic data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Have a good plan on what sources you want to configure to provide flow data into SolarWinds Orion NTA.

WAN Upgrades, WAN usage during business hours, general data communications and amount leaving the organization.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by Cody A.
Cody A.

"Great product to monitor your traffic"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to see at a high level the traffic between my core interfaces.

What do you dislike?

I do not like how the licensing works. I feel that it is very time consuming that we must assign ports directly to be monitored or not.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I feel Solarwinds could make the product easier by changing the licensing methods. This way you can monitor interfaces much easier without a lot of work. We have missed a couple of events because we had an engineer not setup the interface for monitoring and missed very important information.

we are able to detect if we have legacy switch issues or detect if we are over utilizing leased line interfaces. We have users that like to state a 6 MB circuit is having performance issues and list what traffic is happening at the time or even before.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by Raul G.
Raul G.

"Great tool for bandwidth analysis"

What do you like best?

This tool is really easy to deploy and easy to use. Just configure your network devices to export netflow data to the NTA server and start displaying traffic information

What do you dislike?

Default dashboards are not great, I always modify them to my liking. That's really easy to do (around 5 minutes).

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you don't have any netflow tool and you own a SolarWinds module, this is a no brainer for you.

Mainly bandwidth analysis problems. Check what applications are using your internet connection. Check how the top talkers are. Check security issues (for example if a SQL server is generating too much SMTP traffic)

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by Kyle B.
Kyle B.

"Who dunnit? Smart bandwidth usage."

What do you like best?

The ease of use in the web interface. It is easy to navigate between devices and interfaces.

What do you dislike?

Nothing to dislike. NTA supports multiple types of flow (SFlow and Netflow, are the ones I use).

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are already a Solarwinds customer, it is an easy transistion to add NTA. I would recommend adding this to any current install of Solarwinds.

For our business, bandwidth and availability is crucial. Every second of downtime is lost revenue. We run into issues if there are rogue devices/users that take up precious bandwidth. This product also helps us forecast bandwidth needs moving forward.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by David M.
David M.

"Find your bandwidth woes cause"

What do you like best?

I have used it at multiple companies over the last 10 years. It has made a great troubleshooting tool to look for traffic patterns or to see which ports are sending/receiving traffic. You can create entries for custom in-house applications using the applications and services ports section.

What do you dislike?

Depending on how large your install is or if you request a large sample size, it can take some time to load the detailed graphs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Focus on your WAN interfaces instead of the internal interfaces of your routers. This will reduce your internal traffic between devices.

When high bandwidth use is detected, it can tell us what machine is causing it and what that machine is talking with. I have also been able to use it to capture odd traffic patterns (i.e. sudden unexpected traffic heading to foreign countries).

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by Administrator in Financial Services
Administrator in Financial Services

"Useful Tool for Network Traffic Analysis "

What do you like best?

The volume of data that is sent allows you to get a total picture as to what traffic is being sent across your network and allows you to drill down for greater detail.

What do you dislike?

I can find nothing about this product to dislike.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is some setup that will have to be done on your network devices to point the Net Flow data from them to your solar winds server but all of the instructions are in the documentation. So you would need to discuss this with your network admin before hand and plan accordingly.

When we encounter slow network speeds at one of our branches we are able to use this tool to discover what traffic is over utilizing the link and if it is legitimate company traffic and to identify who might be the cause of the traffic.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by Brian W.
Brian W.

"Go to network troubleshooter"

What do you like best?

Easy to setup and install. Once your devics are pointed to NTA, you get a ton of out of the box dashboards/reports/alerts. Gives you the info you need without a ton of setup or care and feeding.

What do you dislike?

There can be some confusing concepts such as ingress/egress. These can stump executives and non-technical mangers in reports. Moving dashboards and menus in the new UI is tougher than it used to be for us, but not hard.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do a POC in your network. It's easy to setup.

We use NTA to see any bandwidth issues and rule out network in application troubleshooting. We used NTA data to right size replacing our MPLS network with SDWAN. We have seen improvement in user experiance as well as cost savings by choosing appropriate circuit sizes/tiers.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by Jason Z.
Jason Z.

"It's amazing to be able to see graphically the flow of our network and drill down into areas!"

What do you like best?

The analyzer has been able to give us a great window into what is going on with our network and we are able to see the trouble points with the ebbs and flows of what's going on into each subnet.

What do you dislike?

I don't think I could complain about anything personally as with most tools you get out of it what you put into it.

We can see where we may need to add bandwidth to an area or shape the traffic differently to affect the network in a positive direction

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by Administrator in Hospital & Health Care
Administrator in Hospital & Health Care

"Solarwinds NTA is a game changer!"

What do you like best?

Our teams favorite thing about using NTA is the ability to drill down and pin point where the bandwidth is being utilized within just a few seconds if we haven't already received an alert that we setup in the application. This allows us to resolve the issue before the tickets come rolling into our helpdesk.

What do you dislike?

Even though we feel it is worth it the cost that one has to pay for the application can be prohibitive in some cases.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Download a 30 day trial and give it a try, you will not be dissapointed!

We have setup alerting so that we are able to distinguish when there is a network issue and resolve it, most of the time before the end user alerts us.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by Chinmay C.
Chinmay C.

"SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer Review"

What do you like best?

The overall experience with the Vendor has been nice.

Well defined work architecture.

The UI and the easy to work ability.

Its very user friendly.

The support from solarwinds team is also very good.

Many cases are closed within a day

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the undefined traffic is like a genuine data.

Dashboards and reports need to be more specific

False positive alarms are more often as compared to previous versions

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it. Best tool to monitor your environment in current market.

We are currently Monitoring traffics between links.

We are also monitoring Multicast of more than 1000 devices

We have configured various reports and alerts.

We have multiple teams working on multiple devices and each team have their separate dashboards.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by Joshua S.
Joshua S.

"Netflow for isolating issues"

What do you like best?

Netflow is a must have if you already use SW products. Integration is built in and is seamless with other SW products and reporting.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much to dislike, considering the design and simplicity of the product. I can say that they could have spent more time on the UI and made it more aesthetically pleasing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Streamline the UI and make it more aesthetically pleasing. Functionally, it works great.

It helps isolate network issues, such as bandwidth hogs and bottle necks.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by User in Information Technology and Services

"SolarWinds NTA: Enhance your IT Infrastructure Network Traffic Monitoring"

What do you like best?

1. Its very easy to install SolarWinds NTA with bare minimum requirements

2. Its a feast for Monitoring engineers as administration on the tool is very easy

3. The dashboards are well organised and stats on provided in an apt way which anyone would be looking for.

4. NTA module as well comes with a High Availability option.

5. Traffic pattern and bandwidth hogs are analysed on various streams which are based on the host/application/country/endpoints/conversation/protocols and it as well provides most of the stats that you are looking for.

6. Enhanced monitoring to understand whats traversing on your network interfaces

7. Works pretty well as NPM as the base and stats collected can as well be attached to perfstack in the latest versions

8. Alerting capability is good

9. Reporting capability gives great flexibility

10. Custom views could be created as and when required

11. Secure mechanism is deployed to login into the tool

12. Data at rest and in transit is well encrypted as per the standards

What do you dislike?

1. NTA uses 2 Databases, it uses SolarWinds Primary Database and it as well used NTA FSDB (collector)

2. We do not have a straight forward approach to setup a High Availability or Disaster Recovery for NTA

3. High Availability module takes care of NTA application failover only. We will need to setup SolarWinds Primary Database cluster as HA doesnt take care of it, this is where the challenge is you will need to setup a mechanism to synchronize data on NTA FSDB as well if you need a complete HA for NTA.

4. Flexibility on NTA License is not provided, you will have to purchase NTA license which is in sync with your NPM License.

5. NTA is not a standalone product, you will have to purchase NPM along with it which would act as a base product for NTA.

6. Net flow needs to be configured on the end devices and the same needs to be forwarded to NTA. We will have to look for automation options where this could be done.

"I still like the tool to a great extent for the features that it provides, SolarWinds are pretty aggressive in releasing new features and adding in cool stuff, I am sure they would remove the dependencies mentioned above in the near future"

Recommendations to others considering the product

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer is one of the best tools that I have ever worked on for network traffic patterns and bandwidth hog, it as well comes with cool views, alerts and reports that could be customized to the max.

NTA makes it so easy to figure out the network traffic issues, mainly when it comes to utilization of the interfaces , traffic patterns and bandwidth hogs .... much more to it which was already mentioned under 'What do i like best'

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by Michael G.
Michael G.

"Solarwinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer"

What do you like best?

I liked the real time visibility of the network bandwidth performance. Allows you to drill down to identify traffic. Tracking where users go on the internet.

What do you dislike?

I am not a fan of Solarwinds sales tactics. But the product is very good.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend using Solarwinds as a complete network monitoring solution. All there productions link well into a one stop view of what is going on in your environment. NTA is just one aspect of the total view.

What users are our bandwidth "hogs". Just a better comprehensive network traffic data view. We are able to drill down into elements of traffic to view what is going on with our bandwidth.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by Ethan B.
Ethan B.

"Total insight"

What do you like best?

The amount of information you get is insane. You can really drill down into netflow data to the source

What do you dislike?

Nothing to dislike. There is a lot of information and it can get slow but the more information the better in my opinion.

Recommendations to others considering the product

this is a great product a must have

Slowness at our remote locations have been an issue. With NTA we are able to see the cause and stop it.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by Andres K.
Andres K.

"Solarwinds - NTA Review "

What do you like best?

The customized reports are the best part. I like how I can manage the identification of the root of the problem identifying the traffic. Also multivendor protocol support. I like the function PerfStack. It shows some correlation between the same timelines

What do you dislike?

The WLC traffic monitor lacks of information. Some protocols in my network didn't show in the report. Maybe it needs some customization. The export of the reports should support more options. Also in our tests we had some issue with the information of the ports. It seems i doesn't support huawei NE.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try to include automatic reports and optimize the presentation

IT network and datacomm issues

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by User

"Useful to see what traffic is going where"

What do you like best?

We like this tool to figure out what network traffic was doing at times of problems reported by users. It keeps a lot of data which can be used to determine why problems were reported.

What do you dislike?

This can take a lot to configure and get traffic classified. It seems like as a product used by a lot of customers they could use more profiles that fit nearly all types of traffic, but maybe not.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give the demo a shot, it might just fill in some holes in what you are able to see right now.

Network team has been able to diagnose and correct issues.

"Solarwinds Netflow Review"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to see what the bandwidth is being used for on our WAN. The product is easy to use and easy to configure.

What do you dislike?

Not much I dislike with the product. It is easy to set up and use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Cost effective solution for collecting Netflows.

Solarwinds Netflow Traffic Analyzer gives us the ability to see what the bandwidth usage is on our network 24/7 and shows us what it is being used for. This provides us with the data we need to make appropriate adjustments such as what time of day patches are pushed and backups are ran.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by Rohan H.
Rohan H.

"Perfect tool to boost your network traffic analysis capabilities"

What do you like best?

In the Netflow view we can get details of the traffic, like top applications, top end points and top conversations, which help us to analyze network traffic thoroughly.

What do you dislike?

Puts high load on the Orion Server, due to which server performance can be degraded.

We use it to analyze network traffic for all our Internet Routers

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by Hemanth S.
Hemanth S.

"NTA For ISP"

What do you like best?

NetFlow Analyzer has helped us reduce the time taken to isolate and contain threats like worms and virus attacks. It has also helped us to solve network incidents faster, and do better capacity planning

What do you dislike?

Dashboard can be little alter will be helpfull for Data analyzer

Better investment decisions

Managing and minimizing bandwidth costs

Network optimized for critical applications

Proactive detection and prevention of network incidents

Better capacity planning decisions

Ensuring minimum downtime and continuous availability

Better QoS and SLA management

Reinforced network security

Network fine tuned for optimum performance

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by Matthew H.
Matthew H.

"SolarWinds NTA is a time saver"

What do you like best?

The ability to track computers that are accessing non company websites and consuming massive amounts of bandwidth.

What do you dislike?

It requires it own separate Server and SQL database from ll other SolarWinds products.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a very useful tool, but does require it's own separate server and database from SolarWinds NPM. Once it is setup , the hard part is done.

I have utilized the graphs to point out to management that we need a larger connection at our DataCenter, but not a 1Gig connection that they assume.

"Netflow Traffic Analyzer"

What do you like best?

The biggest thing I like best about NTA is the ability to see RX/TX utilization by interface. If users are complaining about slow network connections we can look at our custom NOC screen where we keep the top 10 netflow sources on display.

What do you dislike?

Can't say that there is a whole lot that i dislike about it. Would be nice if managing interfaces was made easier.

Helps us identify high bandwidth areas on the network, and the types of traffic that passing through those interfaces.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by Holger M.
Holger M.

"One of the best traffic analyzer tools"

What do you like best?

NTA provides an intuitive webinterface, flows can be easily filtered and displayed. It integrates nicely into the whole Solarwinds Orion Suite with additional performance and management information.

What do you dislike?

When receiving many flows the system needs to be sized properly, it is not "setup - next - next - finish - go"

sometimes clients forget this.

We were able to get a proper sizing of MPLS lines, it saved the client money and raised user-satisfaction because each location did get a "right sized" MPLS line.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by Justin E.
Justin E.

"NTA for the win"

What do you like best?

you can sort, graph, and display data in various ways allowing you to analyze your network traffic.

What do you dislike?

the web console reports don't have the ability to filter to specific interfaces

Recommendations to others considering the product

you can check it out for free and test. this is a major reason to give it a try. once you do, you'll find you come back to it time and again.

we've found several bottlenecks. by we i mean the network admins now have more free time for other work.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by Shiva M.
Shiva M.

"A great flow analyzing technology"

What do you like best?

it’s a great flow technology to monitor real-time network utilization and bandwidth uses. Apart from that NTA summary report page has some cool features like specific source monitoring , capture and analyze, utilization chart etc.

What do you dislike?

Enterprise standard module, Not reliable for everyone.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definietly give a try the free trial of NetFlow Trafic Analyzer for 30 days and lots of awesome features. You will love it.

Policy optimization, Analysis, Realtime bandwidth monitoring etc.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by Administrator in Food Production
Administrator in Food Production

"Solarwinds Netflow Traffic Analyzer saved us in many ways"

What do you like best?

cost is significantly less while providing 95% of the features of other much more expensive products plus its very easy to work with.

What do you dislike?

It lacks some of the security features that products like Stealthwatch has.

Recommendations to others considering the product

great tool, easy to use and continually gets updated with new features

NTA is used to watch traffic flows between our remote sites and watching top talkers. Security uses this in combination with other Solarwinds modues to quickly find violaters.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by Ioan  B.
Ioan B.

"Decent NetFlow Solution"

What do you like best?

I like the amount of filtering that can be applied to the data and the way the solution works without too much setup needed.

What do you dislike?

- The graphs load very slowly (especially if you have at least 7 days of data stored)

- The limited number of visualisation options

- The NetFlow Storage requires and extra server to run

NTA helps us identify what consumes the bandwidth and is also used by our engineers for troubleshooting.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by Administrator

"Solarwinds NTA is a good basic netflow product"

What do you like best?

I love the ability to use the search bar to quickly find end points and where the traffic traverses across our monitored gear.

What do you dislike?

Flows are "bursty" and sometimes inaccurate. Example: Sampling rate of 1:1 will show the same rate at 1:100, there seems to be no difference. Many times, flows are counted twice. So, a 100 meg pipe will show 200 meg of traffic- impossible.

File system transfers for some of our critical data can eat up bandwidth. Using NTA and NTA alerting allows us to see visual ques and when traffic is "ramping up" . This enables our team to anticipate or identify the root cause (and proof of the issue).

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by Administrator in Retail
Administrator in Retail

"NTA is very helpful"

What do you like best?

I like being able to see applications that are being used and the bandwidth they are taking up. I also like being able to see the conversations between different endpoints,

What do you dislike?

I have not found anything that I dislike about NTA. The only thing for me that would be easier if there was a better search feature, we have a lot of nodes and devices and sometimes it is difficult find them in the NTA screen.

It really helps when we have a circuit that is pegged and are not sure why. We can use NTA to locate the application and the user in one screen. This really helps get through issues quickly.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by Executive Sponsor
Executive Sponsor

"Netflow is an old friend"

What do you like best?

Here's my top 3

1. NetFlow has been around forever, simply put if you manage more than 10-15 devices, you need something to understand how they interact.

2. Troubleshooting is a breeze, simply go to the node and click on any port to understand where the traffic is going (or should not be going).

3. Ease of setup, simply tell your devices to send traffic to the NTA server, and your set.

What do you dislike?

Very little, prior to it having it's own dedicated DB, it was ugly having all the data in SQL.

Understanding how traffic behaves prior to moving hardware into production is important, doing this into an existing production environment is critical.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Gone with the old in with the new"

What do you like best?

One of the biggest changes in NTA is the new chart styles. Gone are the old static charts, instead NTA now has charts that can be dynamically changed for custom date ranges on the fly using a sliding scale below the chart.Checkboxes allow to turn on or off the display of different chart elements, making it easy to simplify the view by removing unwanted data.

What do you dislike?

Not available as standalone product – Orion Network Performance Monitor required

Monitoring the bandwidth utilization for better QOS assignment.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by Jordan J.
Jordan J.

"Great Tool for any Network admin"

What do you like best?

The fact that I am able to narrow down bandwidth consumption between two endpoints and even a specific application being used

What do you dislike?

That it is not possible to pull a single report combining the netflow traffic along with the SNMP circuit consumption. Like being able to determine how much of each circuit is being utilized by exchange traffic.

To be able to determine what are affecting our circuit's that happen to be smaller, I.E T1

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by Richard P.
Richard P.

"Get a Handle on your traffic"

What do you like best?

Easy to install and work with. Very well designed application for Netflow, NBAR and SFlow

What do you dislike?

The whole area of NetFlow can be daunting to understand. NTA does a good job of presenting the information, but the understanding is on the user.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get the trial and test it in your environment.

NetFlow has helped us in times where sites complained of slowness. We are able to look at what IP is hogging the bandwidth.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer review by Pratik K.
Pratik K.

"Solarwinds NTA Review"

What do you like best?

User friendly GUI

Link Monitoring Feature works very well

Easy configuration and mainatainance

What do you dislike?

CBQOS Mapping did not work the way I expected it to work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would strongly recommend to use SolarWinds NTA to enterprise organisations who face Link Flapping for ISP or MPLS and if you would like more insights on Network Visibility.

We use NTA for Link Monitoring of ISP and MPLS Links.

Visibility of Network Usage.

Application Mapping and Visibility

Learn more about SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer Videos

Learning about SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer?

* We monitor all SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.

Compare SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer to Similar Solutions