What do you like best?
1. Its very easy to install SolarWinds NTA with bare minimum requirements
2. Its a feast for Monitoring engineers as administration on the tool is very easy
3. The dashboards are well organised and stats on provided in an apt way which anyone would be looking for.
4. NTA module as well comes with a High Availability option.
5. Traffic pattern and bandwidth hogs are analysed on various streams which are based on the host/application/country/endpoints/conversation/protocols and it as well provides most of the stats that you are looking for.
6. Enhanced monitoring to understand whats traversing on your network interfaces
7. Works pretty well as NPM as the base and stats collected can as well be attached to perfstack in the latest versions
8. Alerting capability is good
9. Reporting capability gives great flexibility
10. Custom views could be created as and when required
11. Secure mechanism is deployed to login into the tool
12. Data at rest and in transit is well encrypted as per the standards
What do you dislike?
1. NTA uses 2 Databases, it uses SolarWinds Primary Database and it as well used NTA FSDB (collector)
2. We do not have a straight forward approach to setup a High Availability or Disaster Recovery for NTA
3. High Availability module takes care of NTA application failover only. We will need to setup SolarWinds Primary Database cluster as HA doesnt take care of it, this is where the challenge is you will need to setup a mechanism to synchronize data on NTA FSDB as well if you need a complete HA for NTA.
4. Flexibility on NTA License is not provided, you will have to purchase NTA license which is in sync with your NPM License.
5. NTA is not a standalone product, you will have to purchase NPM along with it which would act as a base product for NTA.
6. Net flow needs to be configured on the end devices and the same needs to be forwarded to NTA. We will have to look for automation options where this could be done.
"I still like the tool to a great extent for the features that it provides, SolarWinds are pretty aggressive in releasing new features and adding in cool stuff, I am sure they would remove the dependencies mentioned above in the near future"
Recommendations to others considering the product
SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer is one of the best tools that I have ever worked on for network traffic patterns and bandwidth hog, it as well comes with cool views, alerts and reports that could be customized to the max.
What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?
NTA makes it so easy to figure out the network traffic issues, mainly when it comes to utilization of the interfaces , traffic patterns and bandwidth hogs .... much more to it which was already mentioned under 'What do i like best'