SolarWinds Patch Manager

3.9

SolarWinds Patch Manager integrates with WSUS and Microsoft update agent, and automatically updates Windows patches based on custom schedules. In addition, you can create different patching schedules for different business groups within the organization per custom requirements.

Work for SolarWinds Patch Manager?

Learning about SolarWinds Patch Manager?

SolarWinds Patch Manager Reviews

Ask SolarWinds Patch Manager a Question
Showing 42 SolarWinds Patch Manager reviews
SolarWinds Patch Manager review by Jerry T.
Jerry T.

"Very easy"

What do you like best?

The software is easy to use and integrated with my RMM tools. Very easy to understand and navigate. Information is very clear and precise. Gives standardized information I can easily relay further along the chain of command. Color coding allows the status to be viewed at a glance.

What do you dislike?

Login and loading can be a little slow at times. With it integrated with my RMM, it may take a little time to navigate to as the different window panes have to reload. Have to navigate through several menus to find the status of all machines rather than just the one I have clicked on.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure to keep an eye out for a persistent failing of certain patches.

I am able to keep all client's desktops and servers up to date. I have saved countless hours from having to do it manually. Gives me the clear information I can then easily relay to my superior. It has been a valuable addition to our managed services portfolio.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about SolarWinds Patch Manager
SolarWinds Patch Manager review by Matthew M.
Matthew M.

"Great UI, terrible functionality, promising software..."

What do you like best?

The software itself is generally very easy to navigate and it's easy to find what you need to find. Granted, there are some exceptions to this, but for the most part, after using the software for a while, you get a feel where items are in the left-hand side bar. I was not involved with implementation but from doing a minor overhaul of the system, I can't imagine it would have been that difficult.

What do you dislike?

Functionality is spotty at best. We'll have system that show up as fully patched in the system but then our auditors will catch stuff on the same boxes. Turns out that certain patches need to be "activated" beyond just being installed (i.e. registry keys, etc.) so Solarwinds Patch Manager only does half the job. Another issue is that the reporting is really not that great. It has some robust pre-canned reports that are really great, but they do not fit our organization at all and we wouldn't have a need for using any of them. We'd like to see more details about our machines, what patches are on machines, what patches are missing, etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

No patch management solution is perfect, but this is sufficient if you have a dedicated body to manage it. We do not, which makes it more difficult than it should be.

SolarWinds Patch Manager helps us keep a "lazy eye" on all of our systems. It helps us automate system reboots and get patches installed on our machines after hours. It definitely cuts down on a lot of time but it does not do everything.

What Vulnerability Management solution do you use?

SolarWinds Patch Manager review by Zakiya C.
Zakiya C.

"Great solution for patch management"

What do you like best?

This is the first tool I’ve used that’s specifically built for patch management and it serves it’s purpose. It’s effectively applies patches downloaded to servers and reboots and planned.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes you have to run a task multiple times in order to get the patches to install on a systems. It’s also not very inuitive for first time users setting up tasks. Also which there was a web interface.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great product to use for patch management solutions. Especially environments that take advantage of WSUS.

Automating the patch management process and being able to scale easily as we add systems to the environment. I would like to be able to get to the Web interface. We were told by the vendor that the web interface doesn't work well so we don't use it.

SolarWinds Patch Manager review by Administrator in Government Administration
Administrator in Government Administration

"SolarWinds - One of the best choices for Patch Management Software"

What do you like best?

I like that is uses Microsoft WSUS for patching. It saves time and makes patching of workstations and servers simple. Due to small staff size and security and compliance audits, we needed to automate updates and be able to keep track of the installed base of servers and workstations to be sure we are covering all vulnerabilities. This does not only a great job for Windows O/S updates, it also allows updates to other 3rd party apps like Adobe Flash Player, Java, Chrome, Firefox, RealVNC, VLC Media Player and VMware Tools.

What do you dislike?

It does take quite an investment of time on the front end to get this up and running and to be able to manage it. It was a bit of a challenge to get setup initially

We have one person dedicated to setting up, using and monitoring SolarWinds Patch Manager. It is not perfect and there are sometimes “bumps in the road” to deal with, but overall it does get the job done and saves us valuable time. The initial time investment to setup and learn was worth it and now we are seeing the return on our investment. Prior to this we kept a manual list and did manual updates as needed or time permitted. When we had a security and compliance audit coming up we always had to scramble to get up to date to reduce the number of items that were discovered and flagged.

SolarWinds Patch Manager review by Rabecca A.
Rabecca A.

"It helps me see what updates need to be installed and which have failed."

What do you like best?

I love being able to push updates, then see how successful they were. It is really helpful to see which computers are failing as then I can determine the cause specific to each computer.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the check remains for days even though the installed updates went in.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is an ease of use that helps make sure Patches are made and maintained. We use this with the RMM as well and they work really well together.

Finding out when computers have Microsoft update issues. I can then go directly to the PC and resolve them.

SolarWinds Patch Manager review by User in Pharmaceuticals
User in Pharmaceuticals

"SolarWinds Patch Manager"

What do you like best?

Because patch Management is much more than simply just Installing Updates on a system, A great patch management software is necessary to complete the necessary Task at hand, and SolarWinds Patch Manager allows for Hosted Patch Database site to assess the Vulnerability Status of the network.

What do you dislike?

The weaknesses experienced by the SolarWinds Patch Management tool is the lack to offer a better event correlation. For instance, loosing a Core device that is part of a single point of failure, there are several alerts that are produced for the device's dependencies.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Enjoy the integration of the software with SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor to get Full visibility on the application stack, from application to VM and datastore, on the interface of the Orion platform.

Some of the problems being solved by the tool is the ability to Automate Patching and render it an easier process than a Manual one.

SolarWinds Patch Manager review by John W.
John W.

"Easy install and configuration. "

What do you like best?

I like that the installer did not require me to manually download and install SQL and WSUS. They were deployed automatically as a part of the installation. The to do list is also helpful in configuring the server. Once I got Patch Manager working it greatly reduced our effort to keep systems updates.

What do you dislike?

Every time I attempted a connection Patch Manager displayed a permissions error. After a while I figured out that WSUS and Patch Manager can't be on the same server, but I wasted a day on this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't install WSUS on the same server.

Makes patching installed software very easy to visualize, manage and deploy. It greatly reduced the company's use of IT resources to update systems across the network.

SolarWinds Patch Manager review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Patch manager"

What do you like best?

I like what it offers. WSUS, SCCM, vulnerability management, patch compliance, etc. The level of security we feel with this manager is top-tier. The alerts and access we get to things like managed computers, management groups, windows updates, approved/preapproved/unapproved agents.

What do you dislike?

It was challenging for some to learn to manage it. Perhaps could be more user friendly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend this management system for small to mid-sized companies looking for a way to assist their clients with patching and vulnerability scans.

Vulnerability issues are the biggest priority at the company. We have many clients we manage, so it is crucial for us to always know we are helping them be secure.

SolarWinds Patch Manager review by Shaun J.
Shaun J.

"Makes patch management a breeze."

What do you like best?

It is an easy to use single online platform to manage multiple devices across a number of operating systems.

What do you dislike?

To be honest I haven't had any issues using Solarwinds patch management.

We recently had a number of issues with laptops crashing due an out of date driver which was resolved by forcing the update to silent install through patch management.

Almost an entire company had an issue resolved without any of them knowing it.

SolarWinds Patch Manager review by Internal Consultant
Internal Consultant

"Give this product a TRY"

What do you like best?

Here are few points which I like most of this software

1. Automate patching and reporting and save time by simplifying patch management on servers

2. Scalability

3. Robustness

4. Excellent Reporting Structures

5. Vulnerability management

What do you dislike?

Here are few points which I don't like

1. deployment cost is one of the major factore

2. At times devices loosing connection with the console, need to re-install the agent.

3. Patch Manager can be a bit difficult to use at first.I had to rely heavily on the administrator guide to get started.

As I said, impressive and quick reporting

As the business grows, scalability is one good option

Lost of deployment options are given, which one can not find in other similar products.

Another feature which benefits my requirements wa distributed architecture

Prerequisites are not too much demanding

SolarWinds Patch Manager review by Seth B.
Seth B.

"Patch Mgr review"

What do you like best?

Love the software where I can push out updates to 3rd party updates like flash, java, and chrome with a breeze.

What do you dislike?

Can’t push out Mac updates and support to custom packages is minimal.

Allowing us to keep software like java and flash which get updated frequently installed on our client machines. Machines are kept up to date weekly instead of manually updating them as needed.

SolarWinds Patch Manager review by valbona x.
valbona x.

"Ticketing system"

What do you like best?

SolarWinds Patch Manager is used for our help desk ticketing system. This is an internal system we use to keep track of incoming issues within the company. The interface is fairly simple to use and visually appealing. We are able to customize it to our needs.

What do you dislike?

I have run into a few issues using this mostly regarding closing out tickets or trying to switch in between ticket types. This also logs me out for no reason at times and other times I think I’m logged in until I try to save something then it logs me out.

help desk

"Solarwinds Software"

What do you like best?

the Management piece of knowing and understanding the clients logs. it has very detailed information that it can provide you when there is anything wrong with the network, It makes tracking down the root cause a little easier with all of the detailed logs they provide.

What do you dislike?

the complication of setting up rules and policies, time consuming, amount of those that need knowledge in order to be able to understand setting up the configurations.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be prepared to have someone with very detailed oriented skills to implement. Someone who will review everything they've done to be sure the policies are set up correctly.

the setup piece is very time consuming. anytime there is a new product added to your network it is difficult to spend the time setting up all of the alerts for that one new device.

SolarWinds Patch Manager review by Paul S.
Paul S.

"Great patch management system"

What do you like best?

I love the fact that I can set and go and don't have to worry about patching. I routinely ensure that everything is patching properly - but I've never had an issue.

What do you dislike?

Nothing found this to be a great software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great patch management system. Complies with many NIST policies

The issue we had was managing all the patches easily. We were having techs go into each machine to do patching. Now we have a single console to do it. Great!

SolarWinds Patch Manager review by Nolan W.
Nolan W.

"Patch manager has saved me many hours of watching patches!"

What do you like best?

I recently purchased patch manager, ever since then I’ve saved so much time watch and waiting for patches. I can patch at tonight while I’m sleeping!

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the GUI is confusing and hard to decipher!

Real time patching has solved many business needs, from patches for virus’s to just updating service packs.

SolarWinds Patch Manager review by Administrator in Telecommunications
Administrator in Telecommunications

"Get the patch and test it before you deploy ot"

What do you like best?

Great too where you see the version and test before you deploy with automated manner.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes prompt for unrelevet patch as new . It is just a point need to draw attention while choosing the right update and patch to deploy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Sure . Great to have such amazing tool to secure your organization and make sure you are following the right patches up-to-date apart from random updat and rolling back

Update , control and mitigatie system vulnerabilities in entire environment automatically as scheduled task. I used to update the os patches and some app update/upgrade. You can examine and validate before go ahead with action

SolarWinds Patch Manager review by Administrator in Farming
Administrator in Farming

"Solarwinds Patch Manager"

What do you like best?

The part I enjoy most about Solarwinds Patch Manager is the ability to pre-schedule the approval of patches. This allows much more flexibility than Microsoft's native WSUS.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike the most is a feature I wish I could get working more. The third party patching feature seems amazing but we have never been able to get it to work. It could very well be the user but following online guides didn't help.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For those considering SolarWinds Patch Manager be sure to get some education credits or training.

Currently we are using SolarWinds Patch Manager to keep our PCs and servers patched. We have benefited from the flexibility of scheduling patch approvals.

SolarWinds Patch Manager review by Brent F.
Brent F.

"Complicated Setup and Use"

What do you like best?

The price was at a good point and the patching details was informational

What do you dislike?

The complexity of the setup and daily use was too much for our needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would work on simplifying the administration. I also would recommend to have the sales people at solarwinds not call every other day to sell additional products. That in itself was a turn off to continue use of their products.

We have discontinued use

SolarWinds Patch Manager review by Kenneth P.
Kenneth P.

"Patch management with Solarwinds"

What do you like best?

I like that we are able to schedule all of our patches from a single location using Solar winds. This allows us to tap into the WSUS characteristics of windows and deploy from a central location.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that solar winds patch management can be resource heavy and somewhat clunky of an interface.

Solar winds allows us to keep our end clients up to date and to avoid any issues with critical security patches.

SolarWinds Patch Manager review by Jed C.
Jed C.

"Simplify server patching."

What do you like best?

It is an easy and reliable way to schedule automated patching.

What do you dislike?

Reporting isn't as flexible as I would like. Specifically, it would be nice to be able to display a graph of machines missing patches that are more than 30 days old.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you already use Solar Winds, add Patch Manager.

Security and compliance. It has cut the time I spend dealing with patching in half and made what time I still spend less stressful since I can focus on troubleshooting any issues that come up.

SolarWinds Patch Manager review by Arnold R.
Arnold R.

"Great tool for maintaining security"

What do you like best?

It is a good tool to maintain security patches.

What do you dislike?

You need better documentation on how to use it, or a video.

Recommendations to others considering the product

To have better videos and and a place that is a repository for those videos.

It allows us to concentrate on other issues while Patch Manager alerts us of needed patches.

SolarWinds Patch Manager review by User

"SolarWinds Patch Manager review"

What do you like best?

Pre-scheduling the approval of patches. Good patching details. Great price. Basically a quick and easy way to keep on top of patches.

What do you dislike?

Not as happy with the reporting end of things. Isn't compatible with WSUS. Challenge to do the initial set up and get everything up and running.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Once you get through the initial start up process it is a joy to work with.

Finding out when and why some of our CPU's are getting errors updating Windows.

SolarWinds Patch Manager review by Amit G.
Amit G.

"Good tool to manage your SQL Server estate."

What do you like best?

Good interface, good functanility could have been more intitutive but overall livable.

What do you dislike?

Make it more user friendly please and have some training videos etc linked from within the product help.

Patch SQL server databases.

SolarWinds Patch Manager review by Christopher A. H.
Christopher A. H.

"Patch review the winds"

What do you like best?

Solarwinds ability to bring all its products under one central view. This helps with corrilation of events and remediation efforts.

What do you dislike?

Nothing, like I said the solarwinds suit is a+

The abilty to manage large scale patching

SolarWinds Patch Manager review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Patch Management you can Trust"

What do you like best?

It's GUI is very user-friendly with ease to manage important updates and make changes to patch management as required.

What do you dislike?

I currently have not come across any dislikes with the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A must have tool

Keeping on top of patches released from Microsoft that have caused other issues with servers and rolling them back and stopping them from being applied.

"PM must better than SCCM"

What do you like best?

PM is much easier to use and implement. It's a front end for WSUS and does not replace WSUS.

What do you dislike?

There is a bit of a learning curve. But pretty much the same as SCCM.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to deplay third-party patches. Much easier than SCCM.

Pushing out patches for common patches. Very easy to set up polices and rules.

SolarWinds Patch Manager review by Rodney J.
Rodney J.

"Hard front end..."

What do you like best?

After setup, it's great. Easy and granular.

What do you dislike?

It's a very detailed setup, to get all monitoring active.

Patch manager, patch resolution.

SolarWinds Patch Manager review by Administrator

"Easy solution included in Solar Winds RMM / MSP package."

What do you like best?

Complete control of windows patching from a centralized dashboard.

What do you dislike?

Many times, there are service failures on workstations that prevent the whole patch system to work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Awesome for desktops but expensive for servers

Keeping desktop computers that may not get IT people on them all the time up to date and safe.

SolarWinds Patch Manager review by Administrator in Banking
Administrator in Banking

"The software works well for patching our computers"

What do you like best?

I like that it finds the patches needed, keeps all the computers updated and alerts me if it runs into a problem

What do you dislike?

Setup was alittle difficult and updates to the software seem to cause small problems

We are maintaing our patch compliance and it keeps me from having to update each computer manually

SolarWinds Patch Manager review by User in Financial Services

"Patch Management"

What do you like best?

Use it to replace the free SUS and have instant access to reporting.

What do you dislike?

Although it's similar look to Microsoft sus there's still that learning curve we're going through.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Request demo

Microsoft SUS is too limited.

This allows us to see more details and aware of successful installations.

"User friendly"

What do you like best?

User friendly and easy way to organize where the threats are and how to deal with them accordingly!

What do you dislike?

Font size should be easier to read and it should be more visually appealing!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to use!

It’s helping to see inconsistency in programs and malware

SolarWinds Patch Manager review by Consultant in Computer Networking
Consultant in Computer Networking

"SolarWinds Patch Manager best software we used for patching "

What do you like best?

Its an Automated patching of Microsoft servers, workstations, and 3rd-party applications.

What do you dislike?

As of now we havent faced any issues with the software

In the past we would patch manually at each workstation during routine time but with patch manager its easy for us.

SolarWinds Patch Manager review by Administrator in Investment Management
Administrator in Investment Management

"Works well but over priced"

What do you like best?

Minimal works is required to get your grouping setup, but you need to know AD

What do you dislike?

Sometimes when patching the web interface will go down if there is an affected patch

Reduced the need for a dedicated admin

SolarWinds Patch Manager review by Administrator in Legal Services
Administrator in Legal Services

"Not finding it very useful"

What do you like best?

The pricing is good and why my company tried it.

What do you dislike?

It has none of the features of patching with sccm and seems not follow standard port protocols.

It has issues with consistent reporting. None so far.

SolarWinds Patch Manager review by Executive Sponsor
Executive Sponsor

"Excellent"

What do you like best?

Works well to monitor the devices and integrates well with service now.

What do you dislike?

Ease of accessibility to import data on a excel file

Integration with service now is a challenge , support is limited

SolarWinds Patch Manager review by Administrator in Hospital & Health Care
Administrator in Hospital & Health Care

"Easy to navigate and implement "

What do you like best?

User friendly interface that allows teams to monitor their work and clean up the implementation

What do you dislike?

Slow to load and constantly down for maintenance

Migrating networks and monitor mission critical patches on network

SolarWinds Patch Manager review by Administrator

"I like Solarwinds"

What do you like best?

How powerful is the tool to monitor the IT equipments

What do you dislike?

the software is no so interactive, and needs much time integrating new nodes or applications

Monitoring the Power and enviroments equipments

SolarWinds Patch Manager review by Administrator in Oil & Energy
Administrator in Oil & Energy

"Robust and powerful"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to understand the product and management is a breeze

What do you dislike?

Support is horrible and there are always issues deploying agents.

Keeping up with compliance

SolarWinds Patch Manager review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Entertainment
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Entertainment

"User friendly interface "

What do you like best?

User friendly interface, and very customizable.

What do you dislike?

Slow to update when issues arise. Does not update in real time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

N/ A

Network. Helpful for monitoring device errors.

SolarWinds Patch Manager review by User in Retail
User in Retail

"Helps out for network equipment"

What do you like best?

I love the fact we are able to set up so many different notifications

What do you dislike?

Loading time, sometimes it logs out automatically

Recommendations to others considering the product

Loading times

Network equipment monitoring

"Not bad! "

What do you like best?

Gives a very nice Birdseye view of your network and a great "watch dog

What do you dislike?

Easily able to break if you're not careful

Switch and network health

SolarWinds Patch Manager review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Helpful"

What do you like best?

Great software, helpful with patching pcs

What do you dislike?

Nothing seems to work great for our business

Patching servers and workstations

Learning about SolarWinds Patch Manager?

* We monitor all SolarWinds Patch Manager reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.