Solid Edge

Complete hybrid 2D/3D CAD system that uses synchronous technology for accelerated design, faster change, and improved imported reuse.

Work for Solid Edge?

Learning about Solid Edge?

Solid Edge Reviews

Showing 52 Solid Edge reviews
Solid Edge review by <span>Scott G.</span>
Scott G.

"2D version is powerful but takes some getting used to"

What do you like best?

It is limited to 2D and it is free; can't beat that price! It imports DWG files well most of the time, though not perfectly. The smart cursor (snaps) is really powerful and intuitive. When used along with manual entry of dimensions, it can be efficient and powerful. It uses tabbed views (for model space and drawings), similar to most other CAD programs on the market today. Interface can be customized. It runs smoothly. It was developed by a large company, which means it should be around for a while.

What do you dislike?

It functions differently than other CAD programs I've used, so it takes a while to learn. Drawing templates that come with the program are limited, but it is easy create your own. Occasionally it has trouble importing DWG files that have 3D elements, but not any more than other CAD programs I've used.

It doesn't use vector fonts, opting for the use of TrueType fonts within Windows. This doesn't bother me, but some old-school cad drafters may find it frustrating.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider using this to import and work with other file formats. It will give you an opportunity to get acclimated to the interface and how it functions. Then you can appreciate the power of this program and possibly find it useful for creating 2D (or 3D if you want to step up to the full version).

Inexpensive CAD program for opening and working with DWG files. It has worked well on different Windows computers, including laptops.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Solid Edge
Solid Edge review by <span>Jonathan F.</span>
Jonathan F.

"Easy to use"

What do you like best?

It is very easy to learn and use and I like the ability to switch between synchronous and ordered modeling environments.

What do you dislike?

Solid Edge can act up sometimes when integrated with our insight server. It can confuse itself and break links which can be tedious to fix.

Solid Edge allows us to quickly create engineering models and drawings to very accurate degrees. We are able to quickly update drawings when a new revision is necessary. We are a company that has to have a quick turn around on products so ease of use is extremely important.

What Product and Machine Design solution do you use?

Solid Edge review by <span>RAJESH P.</span>
RAJESH P.

"powerful 3D rendering software with amazing tools and simulation features"

What do you like best?

provides solid modeling,assembly modelling

provides 2D orthographic view functionality

integrates with sharepoint and teamcenter to provide product lifecycle management

What do you dislike?

editing interaction with its subsequent features can not be seen

doesnt cover aspect of easy serviceability for complex mechanical system

not a good software for rendering

Recommendations to others considering the product

Excellent for precision design, easy to learn, friendly and logic, definitely not for rendering

Solid Edge review by User in Design
User in Design

"Getting worse instead of better"

What do you like best?

Simple tools for fast creation of models. Simple tools for creating model assemblies.

What do you dislike?

Since Siemens bought the software they have been removing functionality gradually making it more difficult to use. Examples: 1. When drafting and in Draw in View mode you can no longer modify your sketch by placing dimensions on the sketch and changing the dimension. 2. When modifying a part inside of an assembly the Update command no longer updates the relationships in the assembly. 3. Can no longer change an 'inches' dimension by adding or subtracting mm's. (units must be in inches). 4. Can no longer save files in ASCII format. I imagine the functionality was taken away so that they can get more people to buy upgrades. Greedy or just incompetent?

Recommendations to others considering the product

Good if you want to pay max price for the highest function module. Check out other software first if max functionality is not needed.

Mechanical design problems. Creates needed drawings for manufacture.

Solid Edge review by <span>Timothée S.</span>
Timothée S.

"The best parasolid software !"

What do you like best?

What I appreciated the most about SolidEdge is the user interface which makes it really easy to learn.

Way better than Solidworks I think!

Lots of nice features, and my experience showed that it's easier to put a model into production thanks to SolidEdge than to Solidworks (Sorry Dassault systems ;) )

What do you dislike?

Well the only thing I could dislike with solidedge is its Surface design mode which is not really intuitive yet and could be improved a lot, even if it's not the main feature and reason why we use SolidEdge.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get the tutorials from Siemens :)

Thanks to SolidEdge I was able to put a 3D model from the first phase to the production model.

SolidEdge was able to tell me how I could improve my model to make it feasable for the molding.

I highly recommand this software if you want to do precise modelling and production/feasible models.

Solid Edge review by <span>Paul S.</span>
Paul S.

"Solid Edge ST8 - It gives me the edge on the competition"

What do you like best?

It is wonderfully intuitive and has so much to offer in designing and sculpting. To be honest it has far more features than I could ever need. I have been using Solid Edge since its old version 3, 25 versions ago, and I couldn't do without it. Also the vendors I bought it from - Majenta PLM, are very helpful and respond very quickly to any queries I may have. It also meshes seamlessly with Key Shot rendering software.

What do you dislike?

My only dislikes are that a lot of the development between upgrades is to suit engineers, which I am not. It is also quite costly to keep the license up to date, however it is a tool I need for my trade.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The vast bulk of the design world, who can afford it appear to have gone over to Solid Works, however I believe that Solid Edge has, as it were, the edge on Solid Works. I find it easier to work with and is more intuitive.

I am a freelance design consultant working mainly in the luxury goods market, designing anything from writing instruments, bags, hardware, watches , clocks, furniture and retail design. Solid Edge allows me to work very quickly and precisely. It also allows me to interact very effectively with manufacturers and tool makers alike.

Learning about Solid Edge?

* We monitor all Solid Edge reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.