Sophos UTM

The global network of highly skilled researchers and analysts, protecting businesses from known and emerging malware - viruses, rootkits and spyware.

Work for Sophos UTM?

Learning about Sophos?

Sophos UTM Reviews

Showing 32 Sophos reviews
Sophos review by <span>Al W.</span>
Al W.

Sophos UTM - My Gatekeeper

What do you like best?

Our Sophos SG230 has provided as much bang for the buck as we could get when it comes to protecting and administering our network security. It has all of the baseline firewall functionality in the definitions and rules that are either automatically set up or added by the user. I love the additional security I see as it blocks traffic to known bad actors using the Sophos database which though not as extensive as Cisco's is still quite substantial. I've seen this thing alert and block the wrong thing enough times to know I don't want to live with anything less and am seriously considering an XG230 in the near term. It also does a great job with the Sophos Wireless Access points.

What do you dislike?

It is complicated at times and you have to manually perform firmware updates. I would love to see that scheduled from the dashboard. I would love to see more granularity on the monitoring and reporting of traffic.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look at Sophos and keep in mind the companion products such as endpoint protection, WAPs, the variety of VPN flavors.

Before Sophos we had an infection that would have been stopped by the Sophos SG230. The current situation is so bad it's depressing. The network is under constant attack and probing for absolutely the worst of reasons. There is an army arrayed against us and products such as the Sophos UTM are our early warning system, first line of defense and counter-intelligence agency.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Sophos UTM
Sophos review by <span>Simon C.</span>
Simon C.

Sophos UTM is like a relics of the past that needs to be conducted in the present

What do you like best?

Our Sophos UTM still does what it supposed to do, it protect correctly our business network against attacks from the internet.

What do you dislike?

Well, unfortunately I have more thing that I dislike that things that I like about my Sophos UTM. We first dislike that the setup and operation of the UTM is a real P.I.T.A. The management interface is also like a relics from the past and we found that there's many settings in different menus that interact all together or that are conflict together. For example some settings from the "Application Controls" feature are become in conflict with "Network Protection" (basic firewall) settings. Yes of course after a while you figure out how conflicts happen, but in other products that are more modern, the manufacturer will have a better consistency between settings menus. When we first put the brand new UTM in place, we had some bad times figuring out why things are not working properly. We also deplore the lack of several modern feature who are still unsupported by Sophos UTM even in 2017 like IKEv2 ipsec... once again, it's like of Sophos UTM have several years of backlog in R&D over other manufacturers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Sophos is supposed to release a completely new generation of appliances in 2018, so after trying it out we will see if Sophos is still in the right direction or if we will choose another appliance manufacturer.

Well, we surely improved overall security a lot and we also gained a lot more granularity over the restriction we wanted to put in place for inside and outside the company.

What Vulnerability Management solution do you use?

Sophos review by <span>Luis P.</span>
Luis P.

Is a robust and easy to use administrative plataform to our network

What do you like best?

The easy interface and the multiples features , no matter whats device we use; stations, mobile, all network and data are safe from threats, regardless of where tour users work. Only a small training of few hours are enough to get started in its basic configuration.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, the price compared to similar solutions is high, in the same way the access point devices have high prices despite its technical characteristics.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Your must make a very thorough assessment of your needs, infrastructure and number of computers and users. It is not convenient to use the Sophos UTM in his maximum hardware requirement

Our UTM resolved is a very good way to our network management and protection of our emails plataform. Also allowed a simpler administration of broadband connections and our remote locations and office.

Sophos review by <span>Jeremiah H.</span>
Jeremiah H.

Sophos UTM - Powerful yet easy to use

What do you like best?

The ease of use. The Sophos interface is really clean and easy to understand. You don't need very much training to be able to use. It is almost like the Mac for UTMs (I know some may not like that, but I mean that it is less console/script based set-up/admin and more UI and friendly, yet still secure).

What do you dislike?

The method of opening ports is slightly different from most other 'firewalls' and takes some getting used to, but once you understand the process and how it works it is fine, you just have to re-train your brain a little. I prefer the interface for the current models compared to the UTM 9.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it time. Be prepared to learn the nuances. Find a good resource for if/when you need help. We rolled it out and I have added/turned on features in stages. Their customer service is good as well. I had a unit whose HD failed and they overnighted a new unit to me. Really appreciated that to get me back up and running.

Protection of our systems. This is our firewall. It not only protects our network, but it acts as our content filter. We can warn users when they are about to download a filetype the could be dangerous, as well as limit or warn for certain website types that might be dangerous. We also use one for a remote office location so the VPN tunnel is of great benefit.

Sophos review by <span>Dale C.</span>
Dale C.

Good product, but not a "one solution fits all needs"

What do you like best?

I like the capabilities of the software overall. You can effectively protect most any scenario and block anything you want.

What do you dislike?

The user interface is not intuitive at all. It is exceptionally granular and requires a significant learning curve just to deploy in it's most basic form. Although it has the capabilities to perform, it's capabilities are overshadowed by the difficulty in setup and usability. For most small to medium businesses I would personally say that it's overkill. When factoring in cost of software, configuration time and support it becomes very costly. Especially so when compared to equally as capable and robust solutions. There is the correct tool for every job. Although you could use a pair of pliers to hammer in a nail, a hammer would be the best tool for the job. Make sure to research all options for your scenario before committing to this as it may not be the best fit for you.

It provides protection for my network and the ability to minutely make changes and enforce rules.

Sophos review by User in Insurance
User in Insurance

Sophos UTM

What do you like best?

Absolutely the best security software in the business with the VERY best customer service.

These folks go above and beyond to help you out of a jam or fix issues with security whether you are new and have viruses and holes in your security or if its just something simple they are the best of the best for security

What do you dislike?

Absolute do not dislike anything about

Sophos I was actually the one who recommended them from prior experience with them at my home. I had called them randomly with a problem with my home computer and they walked me through fixing it without me ever being a member or having their software.

Thjat is impressive!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do not hesitate to get this for your company they are the best in the business and I would recommend them to anyone who is looking for security services.

Well obviously security. There are multiple properties that we communicate with online and we had a lot of issues with hacking and it was getting really bad. Once this was in place life as a manager was much easier.

Learning about Sophos UTM?

* We monitor all Sophos UTM reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.