Sophos UTM

The global network of highly skilled researchers and analysts, protecting businesses from known and emerging malware - viruses, rootkits and spyware.

Work for Sophos UTM?

Learning about Sophos?

Sophos UTM Reviews

Showing 45 Sophos reviews
Sophos review by <span>Al W.</span>
Al W.

"Sophos UTM - My Gatekeeper"

What do you like best?

Our Sophos SG230 has provided as much bang for the buck as we could get when it comes to protecting and administering our network security. It has all of the baseline firewall functionality in the definitions and rules that are either automatically set up or added by the user. I love the additional security I see as it blocks traffic to known bad actors using the Sophos database which though not as extensive as Cisco's is still quite substantial. I've seen this thing alert and block the wrong thing enough times to know I don't want to live with anything less and am seriously considering an XG230 in the near term. It also does a great job with the Sophos Wireless Access points.

What do you dislike?

It is complicated at times and you have to manually perform firmware updates. I would love to see that scheduled from the dashboard. I would love to see more granularity on the monitoring and reporting of traffic.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look at Sophos and keep in mind the companion products such as endpoint protection, WAPs, the variety of VPN flavors.

Before Sophos we had an infection that would have been stopped by the Sophos SG230. The current situation is so bad it's depressing. The network is under constant attack and probing for absolutely the worst of reasons. There is an army arrayed against us and products such as the Sophos UTM are our early warning system, first line of defense and counter-intelligence agency.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Sophos UTM
Sophos review by <span>Simon C.</span>
Simon C.

"Sophos UTM is like a relics of the past that needs to be conducted in the present"

What do you like best?

Our Sophos UTM still does what it supposed to do, it protect correctly our business network against attacks from the internet.

What do you dislike?

Well, unfortunately I have more thing that I dislike that things that I like about my Sophos UTM. We first dislike that the setup and operation of the UTM is a real P.I.T.A. The management interface is also like a relics from the past and we found that there's many settings in different menus that interact all together or that are conflict together. For example some settings from the "Application Controls" feature are become in conflict with "Network Protection" (basic firewall) settings. Yes of course after a while you figure out how conflicts happen, but in other products that are more modern, the manufacturer will have a better consistency between settings menus. When we first put the brand new UTM in place, we had some bad times figuring out why things are not working properly. We also deplore the lack of several modern feature who are still unsupported by Sophos UTM even in 2017 like IKEv2 ipsec... once again, it's like of Sophos UTM have several years of backlog in R&D over other manufacturers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Sophos is supposed to release a completely new generation of appliances in 2018, so after trying it out we will see if Sophos is still in the right direction or if we will choose another appliance manufacturer.

Well, we surely improved overall security a lot and we also gained a lot more granularity over the restriction we wanted to put in place for inside and outside the company.

What Vulnerability Management solution do you use?

Sophos review by <span>Luis P.</span>
Luis P.

"Is a robust and easy to use administrative plataform to our network"

What do you like best?

The easy interface and the multiples features , no matter whats device we use; stations, mobile, all network and data are safe from threats, regardless of where tour users work. Only a small training of few hours are enough to get started in its basic configuration.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, the price compared to similar solutions is high, in the same way the access point devices have high prices despite its technical characteristics.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Your must make a very thorough assessment of your needs, infrastructure and number of computers and users. It is not convenient to use the Sophos UTM in his maximum hardware requirement

Our UTM resolved is a very good way to our network management and protection of our emails plataform. Also allowed a simpler administration of broadband connections and our remote locations and office.

Sophos review by <span>Jeremiah H.</span>
Jeremiah H.

"Sophos UTM - Powerful yet easy to use"

What do you like best?

The ease of use. The Sophos interface is really clean and easy to understand. You don't need very much training to be able to use. It is almost like the Mac for UTMs (I know some may not like that, but I mean that it is less console/script based set-up/admin and more UI and friendly, yet still secure).

What do you dislike?

The method of opening ports is slightly different from most other 'firewalls' and takes some getting used to, but once you understand the process and how it works it is fine, you just have to re-train your brain a little. I prefer the interface for the current models compared to the UTM 9.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it time. Be prepared to learn the nuances. Find a good resource for if/when you need help. We rolled it out and I have added/turned on features in stages. Their customer service is good as well. I had a unit whose HD failed and they overnighted a new unit to me. Really appreciated that to get me back up and running.

Protection of our systems. This is our firewall. It not only protects our network, but it acts as our content filter. We can warn users when they are about to download a filetype the could be dangerous, as well as limit or warn for certain website types that might be dangerous. We also use one for a remote office location so the VPN tunnel is of great benefit.

Sophos review by <span>Dale C.</span>
Dale C.

"Good product, but not a "one solution fits all needs""

What do you like best?

I like the capabilities of the software overall. You can effectively protect most any scenario and block anything you want.

What do you dislike?

The user interface is not intuitive at all. It is exceptionally granular and requires a significant learning curve just to deploy in it's most basic form. Although it has the capabilities to perform, it's capabilities are overshadowed by the difficulty in setup and usability. For most small to medium businesses I would personally say that it's overkill. When factoring in cost of software, configuration time and support it becomes very costly. Especially so when compared to equally as capable and robust solutions. There is the correct tool for every job. Although you could use a pair of pliers to hammer in a nail, a hammer would be the best tool for the job. Make sure to research all options for your scenario before committing to this as it may not be the best fit for you.

It provides protection for my network and the ability to minutely make changes and enforce rules.

Sophos review by <span>Adam R.</span>
Adam R.

"Sophos UTM"

What do you like best?

Objects can be created and re-named on the fly. Firewall rules and policies are very easy to configure. The live log feature is very easy to navigate and see what is being blocked where.

What do you dislike?

I wish that the interface would not time out and have issues when first logging into the web interface.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The web interface takes a little bit of getting used to, but once you have learned how to get around, it makes a lot of sense and can be very easy to configure.

We solved the problems of other firewall vendors going end of life with no replacements. The benefits of Sophos was the ease of use with a very responsive web interface.

Sophos review by User in Real Estate
User in Real Estate

"Sophos UTM"

What do you like best?

Absolutely the best security software in the business with the VERY best customer service.

These folks go above and beyond to help you out of a jam or fix issues with security whether you are new and have viruses and holes in your security or if its just something simple they are the best of the best for security

What do you dislike?

Absolute do not dislike anything about

Sophos I was actually the one who recommended them from prior experience with them at my home. I had called them randomly with a problem with my home computer and they walked me through fixing it without me ever being a member or having their software.

Thjat is impressive!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do not hesitate to get this for your company they are the best in the business and I would recommend them to anyone who is looking for security services.

Well obviously security. There are multiple properties that we communicate with online and we had a lot of issues with hacking and it was getting really bad. Once this was in place life as a manager was much easier.

Sophos review by Administrator in Airlines/Aviation
Administrator in Airlines/Aviation

"Amazing firewall"

What do you like best?

Ease of use and how simple setting up everything is. How much simple customization you can do. The complete and active log that you can just watch if something is getting blocked its pretty simple to track down.

What do you dislike?

There is honestly nothing I don't like about this software. I will say that when you first start using it however

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't hesitate it's a really great firewall.

Being able to fully work with customization of the computer/user level and how much of what they see on the internet. Also blocking ads from the firewall level is really nice.

Sophos review by <span>Matt J.</span>
Matt J.

"The best firewall solution for any business small to large!"

What do you like best?

How through it is. It protects EVERY aspect of our data coming in and going out. The reporting and alerts are fantastic in assisting in tracking down issues within the network.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it can be a little overwhelming when setting up access to certain rules, ports, sites, etc. But Sophos support is spot on and always there to help.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are worried about network security, look no further.

Keeps all of our data safe, keeps our users (rather they be guests or employees) safe, we don't have to worry about data breaches. Peace of mind.

Sophos review by <span>Mark D.</span>
Mark D.

"Decent AV Software"

What do you like best?

Easily deployment from the master console. Policies are fairly easy to set and apply. We were able to utilize this for securing our environment by setting computer policies such as USB lockdown, etc.

What do you dislike?

Uninstalling from a machine is quite the chore. It is a several step process that is time consuming. Doing this en mass was very difficult when we had issues from our deployment at one point.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Uninstalling the application is very difficult if it is needed to be done in mass.

Antivirus.

Sophos review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Greatest Firewall/UTM Product I Have Ever Used"

What do you like best?

Simplicity. Interface is superb and the ability to quickly configure advanced routing, static routes, DNS, DHCP relays using object-based configurations just makes the unit so easy to use. I don't have time to work through Cisco router CLI, this Sophos UTM does the job of a router and more with the time to configured about 1/3 of the time required for other vendors. The logs are extremely clear to read through and identify issues if reported by end users. And let me not forget that the Up2Date firmware process is so easy, when you have to do firmware updates on other appliance types you immediately miss the convenience.

What do you dislike?

POP3 Scanning requires Accounts, although it does scan POP3 messages, it is unclear how to configure it properly from the beginning. A bit too much research required to get POP3 scanning running smoothly

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to be able to deploy and managed reliable and secure appliance, the Sophos UTM running UTM9.x is the right choice. The ability to centrally manage and monitor all appliances from a Sophos UTM manager with no addiitonal licensing is invaluable. The TotalProtect(FullGuard) license/subscription includes warranty for the hardware, and the High Availability is extremely effective and easy to support.

Improved Performance for End-Users across the board. Simplified Security policies by Network, User, User Group, Time-Based Policy, Granular Categorisation and recategorisation.

Sophos review by Administrator

"Great protection for Windows machines"

What do you like best?

Easy to roll out from a Sophos firewall to windows computers on our network. Being able to make sure everything is up to date and implemented from the firewall is great.

What do you dislike?

We recently started moving all of our end user computers to Apple. Sophos does not have a proper distribution of this software for Macs that can be controlled from the firewall. It ends up being a free, standard antivirus product

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are using a sophos firewall, but you are a apple product heavy enviroment, it will not have the full features it would with windows.

Enduser protection and not having to be concerned about our end user devices.

Sophos review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Sophos has a nice user interface and works well with other equipment"

What do you like best?

The user interface is nice and clean and pretty straight forward which is nice when first starting to use Sophos. I have also found that it works well with most other systems, whether that be other firewalls, or other equipment like switches and phone systems.

What do you dislike?

I haven't really run into any problems at this point to complain about.

We use our UTMs for VPN, firewall, and some extension filitering. We use some other webbased tools, for additional layers of security.

Sophos review by <span>Trang P.</span>
Trang P.

"Sophos UTM"

What do you like best?

Full protection small company network, strong security and make a wifi for guest separately.

What do you dislike?

Best software, I like it, there is no any comment.

Free cost for home. Full protection small company network and home, make a guest network separately. Protect and monitoing the web access log.

Sophos review by Administrator in Insurance
Administrator in Insurance

"Sophos UTM "

What do you like best?

Full featured UTM that will handle most requirements of an SMB that requires remote access for employees, web content filtering, and email filtering. Easy to use interface.

What do you dislike?

Support is sometimes lacking and takes awhile to answer even the most basic questions.

Keeping the network safe from viruses, malware, and spam. Allowing easy access via IPSec VPN for remote users. Visibility into the types and amount of traffic machines are accessing on the internet.

Sophos review by User in Consumer Electronics
User in Consumer Electronics

"Sophos - does it work?"

What do you like best?

From a security point of view, i do believe its one of the best in the market. It offers a secure way to encrypt your data and provide an audit way needed many times.

What do you dislike?

Under certain situations, Sophos simply will not crypt the disk. For example, some bad sectors or even some other 'SW' bug makes some issues and we could think everything is encrypted and its not!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ensure you have all policies defined and do some periodic audits.

Security, Information Confidentiality and Auditability. Many of these goals are not implemented to have financial benefits but there are many other ways to get the value out of the tool.

Sophos review by <span>Remy A.</span>
Remy A.

"Good overall product with some minor improvements to be made"

What do you like best?

Using the UTM for over 2 years now, and still like it very much. The setup is easy and within 15 minutes your up and running. Web GUI has everything you need, all grouped together (some things aren't that logical, but as with the latest updates this is improving a bit).

For me this are the top features i like about the UTM;

-- It's relative light weight, so easy to run on some older hardware you have laying around. But I don't have any problems with newer more "enterprise" hardware as well.

-- A ton of functions (like a UTM should have). Everything from simple Firewall & NAT to Email (encryption) & advanced routing protocols

-- Easy and nice Web UI (speaking as a someone who normally skips products with a GUI), it contains all the information you need.

-- The Live log is just great!

-- The ability to "map" hosts, users, groups etc. is very handy. This way you just have to change your settings in one place in stead of reconfiguring everything where you use that particular host.

-- LDAP/AD integration is essential for enterprise usage, and works as expected.

What do you dislike?

-- The CLI, it's just a regular Bash shell but with minimal packages. There also isn't a way to install your own sinds there is no package manager and build software is missing. I think they can improve here a lot. For instance adding a package manager so we can install software on or one but preferable add a "Cisco-like" CLI, so that we can manage all the functions that are in the Web UI with a sophos-*** command.

-- Some minor inconsistency in the menus, but as i mentioned already, this is improving and not that big of a problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Enterprise:

Have a good look at the different licensing options, they are based on the amount of active IP's so it's fairly easy to make your decision.

Home:

It's FREE :)

Looking for a good solution I can deploy at my customers offices. It offers all I need, with the UTM Manager it's a breeze to manage all the instances.

Sophos review by <span>Scott S.</span>
Scott S.

"Sophos UTM SG125"

What do you like best?

The ease of setup and creating firewall rules and policy. Being able to manage everything from one unit depending on what licensing you get (AV, Web filter, Spam filter, Access Points). Intuitive and simple interface.

What do you dislike?

Pricing can be a bit high if you get all of the services.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want a simple, powerful solution that can handle all your needs Sophos is the way to go. They also have encryption services which are separate from the UTM, but another great service if you need that type of proection.

Overall Protection of the network inside and outside. Simplifying many processes by only having one vendor / one solution for multiple serivices

"Sophos UTM Review"

What do you like best?

The setup was smooth and easy, the GUI is simple and has all the features and tools you need. Sophos's key points are the excellent security and threat management which is essential for any company.

What do you dislike?

Can't really say anything negative about this product other than the price is a bit too high.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely recommend you check out this solution for your business. Setup is easier than Sonicwall and Cisco, and managing Sophos is simply a breeze. Do yourself a favor and go check their website.

This solution has secured and protected our business for over 2 years now. Very easy to manage, requires little training to get familiar. Would buy it again.

Sophos review by User in Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
User in Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

"Leader in firewall"

What do you like best?

The visibility that this software platform provides is top of line. Data are displayed in real time without any delays and that is great.

What do you dislike?

The wireless protection aspect of the software needs improvement as I have seen people can penetrate that part.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you can afford it, then please use this software. over any other software.

We used it as a rial for our firewall in the beginning and then moved on to another platform because that platformm was cheaper however this platform was better but a little pricey.

Sophos review by Executive Sponsor
Executive Sponsor

"Sophos Yes or No"

What do you like best?

Sophos was easy enough to install, the big issue was running it while other products were running. Periodically it would crash

What do you dislike?

Hard to maintain any updates and or patches always seem to be a nightmare trying to get in

It address some of our vulnerability issues

"Sophos"

What do you like best?

A great and useful tool that allows us to deploy sophos to machines as well as manage our corporate devices helping keep devices up to date and malware free.

What do you dislike?

Nothing yet, it serves it purpose at my work environment and is beneficial to the company. I would like a weekly report on devices.

Recommendations to others considering the product

N/A

It’s allows us to deploy agents to laptops, mobiles and desktops. It notifys the IT Team when a device has malware.

Sophos review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"UTM brings best of new software to the table"

What do you like best?

Our workplace is finally streamlined with the reliability healthcare demands of its technology.

What do you dislike?

We had some initial issues with communications between project manager and company reps but they were quickly resolved.

Security, decreased likelihood of reportable event, increased technological compliance.

Sophos review by User in Public Relations and Communications
User in Public Relations and Communications

"Helpful for email filtering"

What do you like best?

We like that it filters out spam emails and emails from people that we do not know.

What do you dislike?

Do not like that sometimes I don't get emails fro multiple days that would've been helpful to get earlier.

Spam/many emails

Sophos review by Executive Sponsor in Information Technology and Services
Executive Sponsor in Information Technology and Services

"Solid, Feature Rich, Reliable product!"

What do you like best?

The user interface is simple, the controls logical... these things are just bullet proof!

What do you dislike?

The next generation (XG firewalls) really mangle the UI, making it much less user friendly... Sticking with UTM for now!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Stick with UTM over the XG for now...

UTM protects my business network and keeps me informed of its health and status. it blocks serious threats in real time!

Sophos review by <span>Habib A.</span>
Habib A.

"Sophos UTM Tool"

What do you like best?

It takeminimal ressources and works in the background

What do you dislike?

So far happy with the features of the trial version

Real time add and pop ups blocking and malware detection

Sophos review by Administrator in Hospital & Health Care
Administrator in Hospital & Health Care

"A great tool for enterprise security"

What do you like best?

Ease of use but also the capabilities to get granular with the setup. Administration is very clear cut as well.

What do you dislike?

Its on the high end on price. The original product was a little clunky but has been much more streamlined since using the sophos cloud to manage utm.

Prevention of ransomware or other malware activities.

Sophos review by Agency in Information Technology and Services
Agency in Information Technology and Services

"Easy to sell security"

What do you like best?

Devices are easy to switch out and copy over confit files when we have issues.

What do you dislike?

Our techs find the Sophos support not as helpful as they would kike

We lease these to our clients aspect of an MSP offering. This helps us manage risk.

Sophos review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Great device to protect your network from intrusion"

What do you like best?

I would say that I like the easy to use interface the best

What do you dislike?

Some features are hidden and difficult to find.

The Sophos is a true unified threats management device that works great for point of sale networks to maintain PCI compliance.

Sophos review by Administrator in Utilities
Administrator in Utilities

"Great firewall/IPS/IDS for small business"

What do you like best?

The box is an all in one GUI for firewall and IDS/IPS solution.

What do you dislike?

The only downside I see is a novice could attempt to set this up and can really mess settings up.

Replaced firewall, IPS/IDS and email filtering solutions with one UTM.

Sophos review by Administrator

"Positive Contender in Threat Mgmt Space"

What do you like best?

Easy to manage platform that provides deep insight into our environment.

What do you dislike?

We don't really have any dislikes for Sophos. It just works as intended.

Used for Vulnerability Management and light Threat Intelligence. Fits in nice with our other platforms.

Sophos review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Sophos"

What do you like best?

It pretty much blocked mostly everything. It was pretty inexpensive software compared to what my company is using now.

What do you dislike?

It blocked almost everything. Even company related sites. It was also pain to uninstall this software as well.

Anti-virus software suite.

Sophos review by User

"Decent Product"

What do you like best?

Easy to administer and not invasive. Able to rollout company-wide very easily

What do you dislike?

Not much although it does not play nicely with other products (i.e. Cylance)

Helps to reduce the risk of users downloading malware or visiting dangerous sites

"Hit and miss"

What do you like best?

I guess the amount of features we've seen with Sophos.

What do you dislike?

Everything else.

We have to continually do Sophos remediations, scouring through dump logs and registry keys to fix host devices that break while using Sophos.

Protection for users

Sophos review by Administrator in Real Estate
Administrator in Real Estate

"Sophos UTM Review"

What do you like best?

Sophos UTM is a great appliance to have for an office environment.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing that I dislike. The ease of use for the appliance is great even for beginners.

Recommendations to others considering the product

N/A

Sometimes it can be a little too secure.

Sophos review by Administrator in Law Practice
Administrator in Law Practice

"Simple "

What do you like best?

Simple to deploy and easy to manage. Utm guves perfect control ovee network traffic and user activities.

What do you dislike?

Support from the vendor was a little slow

Full control over network traffic and users

Sophos review by User in Construction
User in Construction

"Sophos Unified Threat Management"

What do you like best?

Simple to install. Easy to use. Can be locked by an administrator so no one can tamper with it after it's installed.

What do you dislike?

Kind of clunky graphical user interface.

Anti-virus on my MA

Sophos review by Administrator in Hospitality
Administrator in Hospitality

"Great threat management"

What do you like best?

simplicity and effectiveness, great filtering

What do you dislike?

potentially beatable by motivated people

Recommendations to others considering the product

Have experience with other threat management solutions for an understanding of the breadth of this one

filtering, general security and threat protection

Sophos review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Solid software"

What do you like best?

Easy organization of all machines. Alerts for potential hazards and vulnerabilities

What do you dislike?

Can be tough to perform advanced configuration when performing maintenance and software tests.

Antivirus. Protection of company/sensitive information

Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"Best Unified Threat Management"

What do you like best?

Sophos UTM Appliances with Firewall Sandboxing Provides Maximum Network Protection at an Affordable Price.

What do you dislike?

Single Sign-On(SSO) user authentication is not possible prior to version 9.2

Good threat protection

"Best UTM on the market"

What do you like best?

It's been around for a long time and has a huge community support base

What do you dislike?

The inability to manage it from Central.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do the UTM not the XG.

Compliance

Sophos review by Administrator in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
Administrator in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

"Great Product"

What do you like best?

Malware and web threats features work perfect

What do you dislike?

I don't really like the tamper protection password feature.

Get notified when a client computer is infected.

Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"Experience with Sophos UTM"

What do you like best?

The web interface is very structure Nd well organized.

What do you dislike?

All functions are disabled when the security subscriptions are expired.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ease of administration.

Protecting internal networks

Sophos review by User in Financial Services

"Great mechanism for IPsec"

What do you like best?

Ease of use and overall security mechanism

What do you dislike?

Only 30 days trial period. Can be a bit more

Internet security

Sophos review by Consultant in Real Estate
Consultant in Real Estate

"great product"

What do you like best?

how easy it is to use, it's realy helpful

What do you dislike?

nothing. i think the product is great and really helpful

Recommendations to others considering the product

it's great!

i haven't really realized any benefits

Learning about Sophos UTM?

* We monitor all Sophos UTM reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.