Sound Forge

Digital audio & video software for professionals, amateurs, and enthusiasts.

Work for Sound Forge?

Learning about Sound Forge?

Sound Forge Reviews

Ask Sound Forge a Question
Showing 17 Sound Forge reviews
Sound Forge review by cristian t.
cristian t.

"a complicated job if you do not have experience or time"

What do you like best?

Is a program that at first glance is seen as a very difficult program to handle due to all the functions, effects and processes that it brings, but the truth is that the help it has incorporated facilitates things since it indicates and teaches you in a good way very precise that you must do and what you should not do to make mixes, put effects, generate elements, etc

What do you dislike?

to be a program of the brand sony I expected something more. It has many effects, processes and others, but nothing that other programs of the same type do not. It is not an intuitive program, and although it is not so complex to learn, if or if you should use the help, or look for tutorial videos to be able to make the most of it when making any modification to an audio file.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think it can be useful if you have to win to learn and spend hours in front of your pc.

Not many. the last time I had to do some work on some audios that had been delivered to me, and although I was able to do them on time, the process was longer and I found it more difficult and with not so good result, in comparison with the times I have occupied another program of the same type.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Sound Forge
Sound Forge review by Melanie M.
Melanie M.

"Sound Forge Great with Storyline 2"

What do you like best?

I develop modules for people who are learning English and use Sound Forge to add the audio for Storyline 2 presentations. I've found that once you learn the basics it's easy to record the audio and import the finished product to Storyline 2. Since I'm a novice I am only using voice recordings, but gradually I'm adding features to enhance the sound quality.

What do you dislike?

The software manual included with the program is very basic. I would prefer if it went into far more detail so I could actually produce better quality products. I'm finding I'm having to do a lot of research on other products and how they work to understand how to use Sound Forge. While the software is great, the learning curve is very high if you've never used similar products or recorded before.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I don't find much support in the way of providing a complete training manual or community support. With that said, I like the product. Long learning curve if you have no previous experience.

Adding audio to my presentations adds value to the product. But I'd like to be able to have even higher sound quality. I've purchased a better mike, and developed a sound proof recording area, but still can't get the high sound quality I'm striving for. Having a more complete training manual, and a community forum where I could get advice from others using the software would certainly help.

What Audio Editing solution do you use?

Sound Forge review by Gary C.
Gary C.

"Excellent editing and mastering software"

What do you like best?

It has a nice layout, everything is where you expect it to be. It's not heavy on the cpu and it operates pretty fast.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much that I don't like, other than the tagging options when saving files. Wavelab wins in this department.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I started off using Sound Forge about 10 years ago. It taught me very quickly how to cut loops, use mastering fxs, convert files and general editing. These are vital skills for producing and this software gives you everything you need to get moving.

It's worth a try if you have never used it before and if you are just starting out and need to learn a few skills. You can also continue to use this great tool throughout your audio production career and feel comfortable using it.

I like using this because it's fast and efficient. If I have editing that I need to do on the fly, or even simple file conversions, I know that I can do this quickly on Sound Forge.

Sound Forge review by Chase W.
Chase W.

"Best single track audio editor, hands down"

What do you like best?

Everything from the interface to the controls to the exporting of files feels tight and solid when working with Sony's Sound Forge. Easy to get started with, but features lots of shortcuts for power users. For single track editing, I prefer working with Sound Forge over other software, like Audition or Audacity, because Sound Forge feels as lightweight, as clean as possible, without sacrificing anything in terms of editing precision. Recording with Sound Forge is also pretty easy and straight forward.

I've been using Sound Forge as primary single track editor since Adobe bought Syntrillium's Cool Edit, and destroyed it when they turned it into Audition.

What do you dislike?

When effects processing is needed, I prefer to use Sony Acid over Sound Forge, as Sound Forge's interface for creating effects isn't as robust as in other software. For multi-track recordings, I use other software, too. I've found file type support to be questionable at times, as Sound Forge will sometimes throw errors when trying to load certain more obscure and/or proprietary and/or not perfectly encoded file types. I've also found some of the features of the recording interface to be buggy, like the real-time display feedback.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If all you're doing is single track audio editing, you can't go wrong with Sound Forge. But if your project involves multi-track editing and/or editing audio for video, I find it's always easiest to work within the creative suite's bundle, i.e. if you're editing video in Adobe Premiere Pro, edit the audio in Audition; if you're editing video in Sony Vegas, edit the audio in Acid.

Sound Forge review by Eugene F.
Eugene F.

"Used it with the Sony Vegas editing family. "

What do you like best?

It's a fairly good audio editor, Works well with the Sony pro family. Nothing outstanding though, but it gets the job done.

What do you dislike?

It crashed a lot for me. Even after fresh installs and updates the crashes continued. It got to the point where I used Audacity instead of Forge. It probably wont happen to you, but crashes can still happen to a small amount of users.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I got it free when I bought a Sony Vegas Pro bundle for a very discounted price. If you want to keep your editing flow within a single family of editing programs, Sound Forge Pro isn't bad. It works will with other Sony programs, so edit with it all you like.

I used this to edit. Never really solved any problems with it, especially because of all the crashes. I used to use the Sony Editing family when I freelanced, however I have moved on to Adobe.

Sound Forge review by Sotir N.
Sotir N.

"Sound Forge"

What do you like best?

I use the program whenever you want to edit any sounds. When slice melody phone use Sound Forge.

Not a difficult job even for beginners.

I recommend it to anyone who wants to learn to edit sounds. The program is serious and can do many things with it.

What do you dislike?

Product price.

The new versions have quite requirement for computer

Recommendations to others considering the product

I like the program so I know that there are many things that do not know, but I do not and need. What can I do with the program is great. Continue to develop so.

I like the idea I myself can edit sounds and melodically as I like

Sound Forge review by Bruce E.
Bruce E.

"An incredibly powerful audio editing tool "

What do you like best?

Sound Forge is offers some amazing features that are hard to find in the consumer market. The program offers a robust interface along with a streamlined processing engine for developing audio segments. Its not the easiest to use audio editor but it most can learn its many functions within several days. Sound Forge really offers a professional level set of tools that go a long way for the pro-consumer or professional editor when working with audio files.

What do you dislike?

The interface itself can be a bit tricky and hard to learn. Its pricing is also a bit high and some consumers may want to look elsewhere. Other issues include some awkward handling of some audio file types. Occasionally the software has crashed when trying to edit audio files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Prospective buyers will definitely want to try out other audio editors on the market before buying Sound Forge. Its interface and functionality may appeal to some users but not all.

For me I found the software very adept at editing pre-existing sound files, re-encoding files, and developing music themes for videos. It also has a fairly streamlined interface that works well once one gets to know the functions fairly well.

Sound Forge review by Harry M.
Harry M.

"Sound Forge"

What do you like best?

It is great at getting audio in a film to even out the volume in various scenes. I hate when the volume in any audio is not consistent. Sound Forge can easily fix that problem.

What do you dislike?

I wish Sony Acid Pro came with it. Sound Forge has some music loops but I like being able to make melodies with rhythm that fits the scene.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You'll be a sound engineer with this software.

Audio is always harder then Video in Film making.

Sound Forge review by Mark S.
Mark S.

"Sound Forge is a very easy-to-use audio software program. "

What do you like best?

The many features to improve the quality of the sound are just great. I particularly like using the EQ features.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I dislike about this program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want something very simple to use, but then as you become an expert in audio editing, I would highly recommend you use Sound Forge. It is a fantastic program.

Well, I happen to be a part-time videomaker, but my specialty is audio, particularly since I create my own music. Sound Forge enables me to import my music to the WAV or MP3 formats.

Sound Forge review by KC M.
KC M.

"Good, but not for the price"

What do you like best?

Sound Forge is a good program. It has a lot of functionality as a recording and editing application.

What do you dislike?

The functionality Sound Forge provides isn't that much more than Audacity, and it definitely isn't enough to justify the cost.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want something more powerful than Audacity, I'd recommend looking elsewhere. Audition is a good choice if you're fine with a monthly fee.

I used Sound Forge as a recording program briefly before moving to Audacity.

Sound Forge review by Christian K.
Christian K.

"The original and (probably) still the best sample accurate editor"

What do you like best?

It just works, it's robust, simple to use and understand.

What do you dislike?

That I don't have the sort of job that needs me to use it more often.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to edit samples like the best, get in there. Richard James can't be wrong.

It taught me the value of editing by hand, of commitment to changes and how basic simple tools can kick ass in production compared to bloated and overcomplicated rivals.

Sound Forge review by G2 Crowd User in E-Learning
G2 Crowd User in E-Learning

"The best wave editor in town"

What do you like best?

I have been using Sound Forge for years. One of my favourite features is the ability to zoom in and do really precise edits on a waveform. There are lots of amazing built-in features and a ton of plug-ins available for it.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I dislike about Sound Forge. I've tried lots of other editors and this one is ideal.

Sound Forge review by Pintu C.
Pintu C.

"Reliable sound editing software"

What do you like best?

I like the simple and easy t use interface of the software. Also the effect presets are quite useful.

What do you dislike?

I would like sound forge to have options for creating sound from scratch. At present one can only edit pre-existing sound files.

I generally cut and paste together various sound files to create background sounds for motion graphics.

Sound Forge review by Stanimir N.
Stanimir N.

"Sound Forge"

What do you like best?

You can edit audio files. We can improve the sound or to cut what you need. Easy to use

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I dislike about this program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Now is in right direction

I used Sound Forge as a recording audio conference

Sound Forge review by Sih-Chiao H.
Sih-Chiao H.

"Easy to use"

What do you like best?

I like the operating screen and toolbar. It is easy to browse.

What do you dislike?

I haven't found the things I don't like yet.

I'm not solving business but research problems. My research is still in progress.

Sound Forge review by G2 Crowd User in Medical Devices
G2 Crowd User in Medical Devices

"Sound forge"

What do you like best?

It is customizable we ca adjust the volume, speed, remove noise, cut, paste, pitch, equalization, turn the file upside down, add reverb, play the audio backwards, or other effects and much more.

What do you dislike?

They are very sony specific which could affect playing in real player or similar players

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to start using a audio editing software, please try sound forge

I use it for building fusion songs or audio editing

Sound Forge review by User in Computer Software

"Powerful audio editing software"

What do you like best?

User interface, speed of processing, handling big files over 1GB.

What do you dislike?

Some of the options removed from this software, like batch processing

Recommendations to others considering the product

Best and professional sound editing tool.

NA

Learning about Sound Forge?

* We monitor all Sound Forge reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.