Sound Forge

Digital audio & video software for professionals, amateurs, and enthusiasts.

Work for Sound Forge?

Learning about Sound Forge?

Sound Forge Reviews

Showing 17 Sound Forge reviews
Sound Forge review by <span>cristian t.</span>
cristian t.

a complicated job if you do not have experience or time

What do you like best?

Is a program that at first glance is seen as a very difficult program to handle due to all the functions, effects and processes that it brings, but the truth is that the help it has incorporated facilitates things since it indicates and teaches you in a good way very precise that you must do and what you should not do to make mixes, put effects, generate elements, etc

What do you dislike?

to be a program of the brand sony I expected something more. It has many effects, processes and others, but nothing that other programs of the same type do not. It is not an intuitive program, and although it is not so complex to learn, if or if you should use the help, or look for tutorial videos to be able to make the most of it when making any modification to an audio file.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think it can be useful if you have to win to learn and spend hours in front of your pc.

Not many. the last time I had to do some work on some audios that had been delivered to me, and although I was able to do them on time, the process was longer and I found it more difficult and with not so good result, in comparison with the times I have occupied another program of the same type.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Sound Forge
Sound Forge review by <span>Melanie M.</span>
Melanie M.

Sound Forge Great with Storyline 2

What do you like best?

I develop modules for people who are learning English and use Sound Forge to add the audio for Storyline 2 presentations. I've found that once you learn the basics it's easy to record the audio and import the finished product to Storyline 2. Since I'm a novice I am only using voice recordings, but gradually I'm adding features to enhance the sound quality.

What do you dislike?

The software manual included with the program is very basic. I would prefer if it went into far more detail so I could actually produce better quality products. I'm finding I'm having to do a lot of research on other products and how they work to understand how to use Sound Forge. While the software is great, the learning curve is very high if you've never used similar products or recorded before.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I don't find much support in the way of providing a complete training manual or community support. With that said, I like the product. Long learning curve if you have no previous experience.

Adding audio to my presentations adds value to the product. But I'd like to be able to have even higher sound quality. I've purchased a better mike, and developed a sound proof recording area, but still can't get the high sound quality I'm striving for. Having a more complete training manual, and a community forum where I could get advice from others using the software would certainly help.

What Audio Editing solution do you use?

Sound Forge review by <span>Gary C.</span>
Gary C.

Excellent editing and mastering software

What do you like best?

It has a nice layout, everything is where you expect it to be. It's not heavy on the cpu and it operates pretty fast.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much that I don't like, other than the tagging options when saving files. Wavelab wins in this department.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I started off using Sound Forge about 10 years ago. It taught me very quickly how to cut loops, use mastering fxs, convert files and general editing. These are vital skills for producing and this software gives you everything you need to get moving.

It's worth a try if you have never used it before and if you are just starting out and need to learn a few skills. You can also continue to use this great tool throughout your audio production career and feel comfortable using it.

I like using this because it's fast and efficient. If I have editing that I need to do on the fly, or even simple file conversions, I know that I can do this quickly on Sound Forge.

Sound Forge review by <span>Chase W.</span>
Chase W.

Best single track audio editor, hands down

What do you like best?

Everything from the interface to the controls to the exporting of files feels tight and solid when working with Sony's Sound Forge. Easy to get started with, but features lots of shortcuts for power users. For single track editing, I prefer working with Sound Forge over other software, like Audition or Audacity, because Sound Forge feels as lightweight, as clean as possible, without sacrificing anything in terms of editing precision. Recording with Sound Forge is also pretty easy and straight forward.

I've been using Sound Forge as primary single track editor since Adobe bought Syntrillium's Cool Edit, and destroyed it when they turned it into Audition.

What do you dislike?

When effects processing is needed, I prefer to use Sony Acid over Sound Forge, as Sound Forge's interface for creating effects isn't as robust as in other software. For multi-track recordings, I use other software, too. I've found file type support to be questionable at times, as Sound Forge will sometimes throw errors when trying to load certain more obscure and/or proprietary and/or not perfectly encoded file types. I've also found some of the features of the recording interface to be buggy, like the real-time display feedback.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If all you're doing is single track audio editing, you can't go wrong with Sound Forge. But if your project involves multi-track editing and/or editing audio for video, I find it's always easiest to work within the creative suite's bundle, i.e. if you're editing video in Adobe Premiere Pro, edit the audio in Audition; if you're editing video in Sony Vegas, edit the audio in Acid.

Sound Forge review by <span>Eugene F.</span>
Eugene F.

Used it with the Sony Vegas editing family.

What do you like best?

It's a fairly good audio editor, Works well with the Sony pro family. Nothing outstanding though, but it gets the job done.

What do you dislike?

It crashed a lot for me. Even after fresh installs and updates the crashes continued. It got to the point where I used Audacity instead of Forge. It probably wont happen to you, but crashes can still happen to a small amount of users.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I got it free when I bought a Sony Vegas Pro bundle for a very discounted price. If you want to keep your editing flow within a single family of editing programs, Sound Forge Pro isn't bad. It works will with other Sony programs, so edit with it all you like.

I used this to edit. Never really solved any problems with it, especially because of all the crashes. I used to use the Sony Editing family when I freelanced, however I have moved on to Adobe.

Sound Forge review by <span>Sotir N.</span>
Sotir N.

Sound Forge

What do you like best?

I use the program whenever you want to edit any sounds. When slice melody phone use Sound Forge.

Not a difficult job even for beginners.

I recommend it to anyone who wants to learn to edit sounds. The program is serious and can do many things with it.

What do you dislike?

Product price.

The new versions have quite requirement for computer

Recommendations to others considering the product

I like the program so I know that there are many things that do not know, but I do not and need. What can I do with the program is great. Continue to develop so.

I like the idea I myself can edit sounds and melodically as I like

Learning about Sound Forge?

* We monitor all Sound Forge reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.