SpyFu

SpyFu exposes the search marketing secret formula of your most successful competitors.

Work for SpyFu?

Learning about SpyFu?

SpyFu Reviews

Ask SpyFu a Question
Showing 260 SpyFu reviews
SpyFu review by Araceli P.
Araceli P.

"Spyfu is very easy to use and it is full of very inciteful information."

What do you like best?

Wow, I guess my favorite feature is Kombat. It's the first thing I do when I start a new campaign. I like to see how we measure up to a competitor, where they're putting a lot of their money, what common and unique keywords they have. Checking out a competitors backlinks is great too, keeps my SEO busy and our company relevant LOL! Spyfu reports are great too. Hand them off to the bosses, they understand and they're happy.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was more local research. The company I work for has 72 stores across the country. I need a lot of keyword information on cities and regions, Spyfu seems to fall short with this. Only really big cities seem to be covered. I do really like that I can request keywords. This helps me with local research for our local campaigns, but it takes a while and when I get the results there isn't as much insight as with others. For example, I had added "car window repair hot springs". What I was really interested were related keywords for that area, maybe "windshield repair hot springs ar" is a better keyword to target, but I didn't get that only got the same list of global keywords. So again, if you guys could do something amazing for local PPC Research that would be awesome!

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to know what your competition is up to, or you want to know where to start in your industry, Spyfu is a great tool to have in your arsenal. It identifies trends, pulls up competitors you might not have known about and shows you who is up and coming too. Spyfu helps you stay a step ahead of your competition, never behind.

PPC campaign problems, like budget. I am able to calculate budgets for each campaign a lot better with Spyfu. Also, which keywords are worth bidding on and new keyword suggestions are so helpful. It has helped grow a lot of our PPC campaigns. They convert a lot better now that we are using keywords that are targeting the right customers.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about SpyFu
SpyFu review by Istvan E.
Istvan E.

"Very useful, lots of info to optimize AdWords"

What do you like best?

- Lots of info

- Companies would naturally want their choices hidden but SpyFu uncovers them

- Affordable pricing and the introductory offer is very SME friendly

What do you dislike?

- User interface can be overwhelming for starters

- Sometimes the amount of info seems too much, it's hard to choose what you should choose to rely on

- Would've wanted to save keywords with click estimates from competitors' data but was unable to do so due to predefined columns (when saving keyword for a competitor I want to save their cost and CTR as well but I can only save a general overview of the keyword, I had to use a spreadsheet to overcome this)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get an idea of what you want from the tool or you will spend hours looking at different types of data without proceeding with your task.

We are building a new product and wanted to be able to compete with competitors (incumbents) on the advertisement front. SpyFu is perfect for that. I managed to find out what paid keywords bring the largest number of visitors to my competitors. I was also able to evaluate how much they spend on those keywords and figured out which ones I should pay for to get max value with a limited budget.

What SEO solution do you use?

SpyFu review by Tamara C.
Tamara C.

"Great, simple tool to use"

What do you like best?

It's very simple and intuitive to use, yet surprisingly deep, detailed and accurate when compared with sample data. Reporting automation is a great addon - quite intuitive and can be shared with less savvy individuals with minimal effort to explain various elements.

What do you dislike?

There is limited data for certain industries, and for some (e.g. niche sport or life sciences) it took a bit of time to submit keywords and start aggregating data for them. I love the reports, but there is some limitation in how the data is served and aggregated. A bit more flexibility in the future would be awesome.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great balance between price, ease of use and features that make a great package for anyone counting on quality information to use in their competitive research and positioning.

In my work, understanding the competitor landscape is extremely important. SpyFu allowed me to have an easy insight into their SEO, highest ranking keywords and even ad spent, giving a realistic overview of all competitors in one simple dashboard. Plus the reports are awesome and easy to share with clients with little input.

SpyFu review by Ariel B.
Ariel B.

"Great SEO Tool - Especially for Competitor Analysis"

What do you like best?

I love SpyFU, I'm able to compare keywords that my company ranks for - and continuously compare to our top competitors. I like that it shows us automatically competitors that we may not know were competitors. It even breaks it down to what keywords you're both overlapping, and which keywords are unique to each site. I can see the monetary value and the amount of traffic that is generated for those specific keywords, so I know whether they are worth going after or not.

What do you dislike?

The exporting feature could definitely be improved. I can't export any of the graphs, just the data. The comparison tool also only shows a few competitors in the graph at once, I wish that I could make the viewing window larger. I also wish it explained more what some terms meant, like "ranking difficulty" - I don't know what the scale is, so I can't really evaluate the number they provide.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a pretty good price compared to other software. There's a little bit of a learning curve, but that's how it is with any software using large amounts of data.

I'm able to see what keywords we are not ranking for, and the traffic that we are losing as a result, so thus I can focus our SEO strategy for those specific keywords. We also can see when we drop off the first page for a particular keyword, so that's helpful.

SpyFu review by Adele S.
Adele S.

"I like it alottttttt"

What do you like best?

I do enjoy the competitor analysis and keyword research on SpyFu. It's been a great tool to bring into meetings and present to clients to give them an idea of what they should be ranking for and what a realistic ad spend would be.

What do you dislike?

I feel that there are a few flaws when it comes to actual rankings. It's often hard to tell which geolocations these are rankings are from (United States, Pittsburgh, where I'm standing, radius around me, etc.)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do your research and really determine if this is the best product for you. If you're new to SEO or extremely experienced, I would suggest exploring all options. SpyFu is very good from a keyword building and analysis standpoint. It's extremely effective, but has some hiccups.

I am using SpyFu to monitor what keywords my clients should be using and tracking ranking progress from there. It's helped paint a clearer picture to my clients as to what they need to be focusing and spending money on.

SpyFu review by Robert C.
Robert C.

"My Go-To Online Resource for Competitive Data"

What do you like best?

I utilize many resources in my SpyFu account, however, the tool that stands out the most for me would have to be Kombat. This allows me to get keyword data based on my competitors' efforts, which then allows me to expand upon my Paid Media and Organic strategy. This is a tremendous help and provides an edge that most competitors in various markets are not even aware of.

What do you dislike?

This really is an online tool that offers a wide spectrum of resources. My only critique would be on organic keyword rank tracking. For marketing initiatives based on the objective of growth in organic search rankings, it is beneficial to see what page your listing falls on for specific keywords. Although SpyFu offers customized keyword lists, They are not segmented by the specific Search Engine (Google, Bing, Yahoo) that keyword ranking applies to, as far as I am aware. There are other tools that offer this online, but it would be nice to have this feature under the same umbrella of SpyFu tools.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You will not be disappointed! SpyFu is close to being a one-stop shop for keyword research and tracking needs. You can save money by having an account with them as opposed to 3-4 tools on websites you have to pay for separately.

I am using Spyfu to gain a competitive edge over my employers paid media competitors by gaining and applying keyword ideas that make sense for our initiatives. I am also able to build negative keyword lists more effectively in our Google AdWords account based on known search queries for our domain.

SpyFu review by Lee P.
Lee P.

"Spying has never been so easy"

What do you like best?

Awesome tool for getting actionable data on what your competitors, or your client's competitors, are doing online. Having ppc data along with SEO data and keyword data in one app saves a ton of time doing research. The app works, the data is solid (as solid as estimated ppc ad spend can be) and the value of the app is outstanding. Very easy to monetize the monthly spend for this app.

What do you dislike?

Nothing to mention here. All good. As others have mentioned, the data is one thing. It's how you evaluate / interpret the data, and what actions you then take, that really matter the most.

Ability to use one tool that replaces several I was previously using saves time and money. PPC spend data is not easily available in other apps similar to SpyFu, and certainly not at the same cost. We use this tool to help make decisions on where we spend our marketing dollars and to show our clients where their competitors are spending their ppc dollars so we can craft a plan based on what others are doing.

SpyFu review by Mike S.
Mike S.

"Great for providing insight to competitors and brand targets"

What do you like best?

My favorite part of SpyFu is the ability to find out who is bidding on what keywords and what type of budgets that they have for paid campaigns. We use this information in targeting specific companies in specific industries with solutions to real problems that they have. For instance, when looking at who is bidding on the keyword "truck driver jobs" we can pull a list together of different truck lines who need to hire new truck drivers. We have a specific solution for those companies, and by knowing that they are already spending money in that realm we can talk to them more intelligently than if we were just cold calling.

What do you dislike?

The only real thing I don't care for with SpyFu is their lead generation tool. It seems the filtering of businesses does not work as well as I would like...I would like to see a way that they can provide leads that have very specific criteria, like where a companies HQ is located.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The product is very well priced and really a bargain for all the things you get with a subscription.

Targeting industries is the biggest problem we solve. I also use the tool for PPC research (which is really what you think about when thinking of SpyFu).

I've been able to provide clients with better PPC campaigns simply by knowing what their big competitors are doing, and not doing.

SpyFu review by Charlie d.
Charlie d.

"SpyFu is Awesome for Competitive Analysis!"

What do you like best?

I generate leads for the biotechnology and life science market. My main tools are calling/contacting targets I find on social media and using the net to bring in leads (with landing pages, webinars, etc.). When I'm pitching a potential client, I show them what their competitors are doing online and how they are missing the market by using SpyFu's amazing competitive analysis. It is a compelling way to show prospects how they are missing so much of their market. Another feature I will be using more of is their keyword analysis; it will give me more ammunition to build landing pages around keywords that make sense. I will be using their keyword and competitive review with their SEO reports to create the best service for lead generation for my clients.

What do you dislike?

I only use SpyFu a few times a month so I wish it was less expensive for low-volume users.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a very unique platform. They are always innovating and adding new features, and are quite responsive to their user base. Try them out!

I needed a way to show my prospective clients that they were not reaching most of their market, and the best way to do that is by comparing them to their direct competitors. That tells the story!

SpyFu review by Franck A.
Franck A.

"SpyFy Automated System"

What do you like best?

You get a picture of your SEO and PPC situation and how you stand compared to your competitors. That it...

What do you dislike?

SpyFu brings only rough data and does not bring you with actionable actions or some directions. If you are ranking on wrong search terms it is up to you t discover it. You need to deeper analyze the results. So, Spyfu "seems" to deliver information that you have to really scrutinize. If you have questions their Chat system is useless. It is almost an automated system. Based on your question they send links that direct you to their FAQ pages. Unfortunately the expertise behind Chat is NULL. It is difficult to get straight answers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If there is a need of basic data go with SpyFu. If there is a need to be serious with your SEO and PPC strategy, I do not recommend this tool.

You do not solve any problem with SpyFu. You just collect data that allow you to compare your results to your competitors. There is no AI behind this services. It is just a way to collect data that can help you solve your problem after some deeper analysis. Unfortunately, if you do not have some marketing expertise there is great chance that you fail.

SpyFu review by Janice A.
Janice A.

"Loving SpyFu!"

What do you like best?

The amount and quality of the information, and the ease of finding it makes SpyFu and must-have tool for internet marketers.

What do you dislike?

I would like the price to be $10 less per month.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you market online, SpyFu is a tool you should consider for your online marketing toolbox. However, be prepared for information overload! Forge ahead and learn what information is available to you and what it means you will gain valuable insight into what is working in your niche.

Keyword strategy is always challenging. I love that I can really create a solid keyword strategy with the info found on SpyFu. Another benefit is being able to see what the "big guys" in the industry are doing with their online strategy. Not having to reinvent the wheel when launching a new product is truly awesome.

SpyFu review by Jonah K.
Jonah K.

"Swiss army knife for Search Marketing and Strategy"

What do you like best?

Quickly identify your client's top search results, the competitors appearing in their top search results, and the imputed values of an organic search term let you show the client the traffic value in dollar terms, makes a powerful business case for client investment in search traffic, you can demonstrate their competitor's ROI, and calculate an ROI for their search marketing with confidence. Also I love the ability to add keywords when they are not currently being indexed by SpyFu, a great feature when your client is in a smaller industry or working with niche search terms.

What do you dislike?

The speed, I wish it was faster and more responsive, the data is fantastic, but it can be a slog when you are trying to build a competitor comparison for a larger website with lots of competitors. I will say the speed has improved dramatically in the past year! Also the client recon industries are probably the biggest markets for search marketing, but I tend to fish in smaller ponds, so the tool is not tuned to help me prospect as much as I'd like.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They are investing in the product, as a user for over 5 years, I can tell you it is a better product now than it was, and I expect that improvement to continue. They might not have every bell and whistle, but they provide exceptional value for the breadth of features: SEO, PPC, and backlinks, as well as some useful structured reports.

SpyFu is the core of my keyword research, and the competitor SEO and PPC metrics are critical to building business cases for clients, so they can justify additional investment in search marketing, or upgrades to their website UX or

SpyFu review by Leo Y.
Leo Y.

"Helps a lot for AdWords Research and Set Up"

What do you like best?

I like that Kombat allows me to easily compare competitors. The Keyword Grouper is helpful too. I also like that it's easy to export everything to sort through in Excel. The tutorials are a great resource and are a great way of learning how to use SpyFu.

What do you dislike?

Data is only available for the US and UK. The reports function took some time to understand. I'm not sure about the SEO data as I use it mainly for PPC.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's fast and easy to work with. Best of all, the pricing is really great. The tutorials help you learn how to use the features.

I can easily research keywords for my AdWords campaigns and then group them. SpyFu gives me all the information I need. I can quickly gather information about competitors and it also provides suggested keywords.

SpyFu review by Alicia W.
Alicia W.

"Awesome Insights"

What do you like best?

Spy fu makes it very easy to identify precisely the required SEO steps needed on a case-by-case basis for each and every client, enabling an SEO professional to clearly communicate a well defined path forward for both the clients and staff in each project.

What do you dislike?

It is too awesome to dislike anything really. I would like to have it for less $ of course, but it is priced extremely fairly and already the least expensive of anything remotely comparable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you understand SEO and Digital Marketing and if you have searched for similar products in the past then you will barely be able to contain your excitement when you dig in to Spy Fu, and the paid version has many outstanding bonuses over what you can get with the free version.

Having the competitor data is extremely beneficial. It has made it much easier for me to keep an eye on each market I serve and to deliver the most value to my client. Spy fu has helped me make my business operations much more manageable.

SpyFu review by Lee'Ann B.
Lee'Ann B.

"SpyFu - Super easy and insightful "

What do you like best?

First, the ease of use. You can get a lot of insights on your competitors as well as your own site. You can find out which keywords your competitors are ranking for, new keyword opportunities also you can find backlinks that will help you rank for specific keywords... to name a few benefits!

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I don't feel that the est. amount for PPC ads that competitors are spending is that accurate - understanding that they are "estimates" they should at least be somewhat close.

Also - I used SpyFu a few years back, then cancelled - it was at that time that I was offered this service at half the cost! So, it would have been nice if they offered some promotions to long time customers or even when on boarding! as of now, I pay less than I initially did.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are running any SEO or PPC campaigns, or just want to get more insight on your company and competitors online, I would recommend trying SpyFu. You can also try for free :)

keyword research, SERP analysis and competitor insights. It's easy to set up projects on SpyFu for each of your clients (or your own company) where you can track keywords, avg. CPC etc... and the export feature for reports is great.

SpyFu review by Mark  S.
Mark S.

"Excellent keyword and pay per click research software!"

What do you like best?

We run a ton of PPC campaigns for local business clients and Spyfu makes it so easy to find the bulk of the best keywords very easily.

This goes the same for doing SEO research for articles and content.

The Spyfu kombat mode allows you to compare your business' PPC keywords to that of top competitors. Good way to see if you are missing any lucrative keywords.

What do you dislike?

I had a little difficulty first figuring out how to use Spyfu, but the online training videos they have got me on the right track.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Once you understand how to use Spyfu, it is very easy to find the keywords you are looking for SEO articles or Pay Per Click ads. The price is very reasonable as well.

We mostly use Spyfu for Google ads keyword research these days. It makes it very easy for us to get the initial campaign researched and then just copy/paste over to Google adowrds interface.

SpyFu review by Carlos M.
Carlos M.

"The best of the best in comptetition analysis"

What do you like best?

The fact that I get to see my competitors trials and errors and their best succeeding ads in Ad History is definitely my favorite part of SpyFu. It's literally months of work that are saved and many thousands of dollars as well.

What do you dislike?

Being from Canada and working in a B2B environment solely within our borders, I would have appreciated having local information for some of the tools within Spyfu. Some other companies like SERP Stat offer that possibility.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely, I encourage to get started with the trial, but there's so much more to discover as the learning curve progresses. I strongly recommend SpyFu to any organization that wants to cut to the chase while saving tons of money and time with a very action-oriented competition and market Ninja arsenal.

Entering the PPC and SEO arena where big players are already well established. We know that we need to do things smarter and learn from our competitors' mistakes.

SpyFu review by Kate P.
Kate P.

"Excellent Keyword and Competition Discovery"

What do you like best?

I love that I can see present the competition to my clients that they wouldn't imagine are clients based on their keyword lists.

What do you dislike?

I wish the pdf's came out a bit more clear and maybe even an option to include summary for presentation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I always highlight all of the data included and the ability to request for new urls to be included for tracking. I like that anyone on the team could use it because it is so easy to manage.

It is a huge timesaver. The ability to send reports via email or export including .csv that can be manipulated and inluded in other documents. I can capture complete campaign competition without have to go to multiple different tools.

SpyFu review by Amanda T.
Amanda T.

"The Go-To for Keyword Research"

What do you like best?

This tool digs deep into what keywords a site ranks for, how their competitors fare, and what the opportunities are across organic and paid.

The not-so-secret weapon is the Kombat feature where you can compare up to 3 domains at a time. The nifty venn diagram shows you the cross-section of search queries across the domains. You can see where your nemesis shows up in search and you don't, and vice versa.

What do you dislike?

The estimated ad spend is relative, and sometimes can be only a gross estimate at best. For example, it might show you that a competitor spends $100k/month on AdWords and says you spend $50k. However, you know that your business actually spends $75k, so then you can estimate that the competitor is actually spending $150k.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's great for companies that need to understand their place in the competitive landscape online. For SEO professionals, its myriad of tools that serve your every need related to keyword research and ad spend estimates. Especially if you're working in a digital marketing capacity within a team that has little experience in this research, its reporting features will make you look like a rockstar.

It's also a secret weapon for content marketers. When you need to develop content strategy, it gives you an incredible view into what competitors rank for and what opportunities are available from a search perspective.

I'm trying to understand what queries bring people to our website, what traffic we miss that goes to competitors, and what search queries aren't being sufficiently answered. These present opportunities for our business to tailor our content and provide more relevant information.

SpyFu review by Nick F.
Nick F.

"Excellent Keyword research application"

What do you like best?

This tool is invaluable for digital marketers and ensures we are able to find out what the competition is up to in terms of keywords, both paid and organic. Invaluable for businesses of all sizes. The support is also excellent, I was offered a webinar after just one week of using the product and was able to ask any lingering questions I might have had.

What do you dislike?

Ad spend is just an estimate I suppose but at least we can discover who does and doesn't use PPC. I know the UK PPC information could be improved. Overall, there is very little to dislike, it is a fantastic product and one that will massively help the digital marketing aspect of your business.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it - you won't regret it.

What brings people to our site and what keywords we are not using/missing out on. This is invaluable to an SME like ourselves. The PPC and backlinks aspects will also help us against our competitors.

SpyFu review by Mark S.
Mark S.

"Great tools and fantastic training videos"

What do you like best?

Each product of this type has a lot of different ways to slice and dice the data. SpyFu has been around for some time, and still provides a super clean interface with clear workflows. The online training videos are targeted, to the point, and full of valuable information about how to use the tools to get the most effective results.

What do you dislike?

Maybe a little picky, but I would like to be able to set certain competitors to be sticky in the Top Organic Competitors list. While I understand that competitors are ranked and displayed based on keyword numbers, some competitors are more important for me to track, even if they have many fewer keywords. This may just be a lack of understanding of how to configure the projects, on my part.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's worth comparing not only the functionality, but the UI and workflow of SpyFu and competing products. Just because a product delivers all of the same features, doesn't mean it suits your particular working style. Of course, price can be a differentiator as well, and SpyFu holds up pretty well in that department, I feel.

Mostly in the area of competitive research. It's great to be able to figure out which ads my competitors are running, and which have been successful for them, vis a vis ranking keywords. I also like the backlink research, which I combine with my Majestic reports to target new backlink opportunities.

SpyFu review by Matthew S.
Matthew S.

"Sophisticated Tool - Might Need Help with Indexation"

What do you like best?

There are no limits to how many reports you can run, keywords you can add, the UX is incredible, and it's easy to find the information you are looking for. I also like that it has a keyword difficulty score for SEO purposes. They added a project management tool in the last year which is pretty killer. I use it for all my SEO projects. I'm looking forward to using it as an all-in-one SEO tool in the future.

What do you dislike?

It seems like when using SpyFu vs. Semrush I get conflicting results on keywords, backlinks, etc. I think this has to do with the way SpyFu, Semrush and other products (Ahrefs for instance) are crawling and indexing the web. In my mind this is a primary issue, that of getting accurate data, as similar to that of Google as possible. It's possible that SpyFu has some ground to gain in this area.

My main goal is to spy on competitors keywords and backlinks, which I then use as an idea bank to create keyword possibilities for my firm's clients. It's effective at finding other keyword opportunities I might not have thought of. I then add them to my keyword bank and eventually select the most applicable keywords for my clients. I had the paid version for quite some time and am considering re-upping my subscription because I am now seeing the value of having an all-in-one SEO tool, which I would use not just for keyword generation and competitor research, but also backlink outreach and managing the entire SEO project.

SpyFu review by Robin B.
Robin B.

"An invaluable tool for content creators"

What do you like best?

What I like best is a little bit different. I love the ranking links at the bottom when I'm researching keywords. It helps me formulate ideas for my clients even if those links are from a different industry. I also LOVE that for what I pay, I can track 5,000 (!!) keywords.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I don't like is that words that I would presume would be tracked aren't tracked and I have to request them or get the message that SpyFu will start tracking them next month. That's a bummer because there are times when I would really like to see the stats ASAP.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a go. Watch the video when you first sign up on how to use it. You get 5k keywords to "add" to save them for later. So, don't be afraid to do that. You'll love the reports. You can customize them and remove the SpyFu logo if you want.

I can track the keywords working best on several of my clients' domains. The main benefit I realized is that I can look at sites that I believe are competing sites and see the words they rank with (organically). I can also see the links performing best with that keyword (and the content) so that I can add similar steps to our strategy.

SpyFu review by Juan J.
Juan J.

"Best Tool For Digital Marketing "

What do you like best?

I like that SpyFu gives you soo much information and everything is then broken down even more. You get to see the big picture and all the details in between.

What do you dislike?

The only thing which is a minor is that some unique niche keywords are not available....but SpyFu takes care of that by having you add them.. which eliminates the problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a really good investment to focus and polish your digital marketing. SpyFu can help you with finding out the organic keywords that you should be using. It can also help you with the PPC keywords you should be using, along to the ones that your competition is using. They even have a way to help you set up your Google Adwords ads. This a a truly amazing software to have if you want to take your digital marketing efforts to the next level.

We have found truly reliable keywords for our niche and have had great success. Most of the time we used Google to find our keywords but didn't get much results. SpyFu just took our digital marketing to another level.

SpyFu review by Jack C.
Jack C.

"SpyFu gets the job done"

What do you like best?

One of the best things about SpyFu is it gives you all the information that you need on any website you look at. It is easy to use and provides concise correct information the first time. Whether you are looking at good keywords that your industry use or you just want to have a look at how much traffic you are getting it can do all sorts of different things.

What do you dislike?

There's not much that I dislike about SpyFu other than you can't search for specific pages for example if you want to look at one page, in particular, you can't do this you can only really look at the main page of whichever website you are trying to look at. this can be a problem if you want specific information about one page in particular.

It helps me to look at other companies websites in my field and helps me to ensure my webpage is performing to its max.

SpyFu review by George B.
George B.

"Search, PPC, & Link Tracking In One Tool"

What do you like best?

SpyFu is priced well and has everything that an SEM practitioner needs to get an overview of a prospect, a client issue, or a market segment. I don't think you can overvalue having organic, paid, and links in the same tool.

What do you dislike?

Every tool makes assumptions. I always caution people to use the raw data and create their own. I think that there is a tendency for good looking reports to be accepted regardless of their underlying data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

SpyFu is great software for an overview. it can't be used to report rankings because the industry should report traffic and conversions from channels rather than rankings. Some of the reporting seems too involved--as though a filter should be applied if the data doesn't exceed a certain value. But it's a great source of information.

I use SpyFu with every serious prospect to understand what's going on in their world and to see how involved their previous PPC efforts have been. SpyFu is an integral part of my pre-keyword research in a new area so that I can see what messaging has been tested by quality advertisers and what seems to be working today.

SpyFu review by Nigel S.
Nigel S.

"A great tool for Adwords Managers"

What do you like best?

The Spy tools that allow me to see competitors ads and keywords give you a clear head start when setting up a campaign, and new prospective clients are really impressed when I can show them the how I can spy on their competitor's AdWords performance. The project section is great for storing my keyword research and project planning. My clients really appreciate the clarity of the reports that I am able to produce and the speed with which I can produce them at the end of the month is extremely important.

What do you dislike?

There is not much to dislike with Spyfu. You just need to get into it and learn how to utilize it to its best.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a tool to help you with your Adwords campaigns then you should definitely check out Spyfu. The price is also very reasonable.

The time spent planning a campaign is drastically reduced with Spyfu and when it comes to producing monthly reports for clients it is very fast and simple.

SpyFu review by Beth Bridges M.
Beth Bridges M.

"Fun? Sure. Useful? No, Vital for SEO and Ranking your Site"

What do you like best?

SpyFu is a must-have tool for anyone who is doing professional SEO services whether for an agency or if they're doing SEO in house. It's valuable for brainstorming on the top levels as well as providing deep-dive information.

I know it's in Beta, but the Project tool has become one of the most important features to me. I use it to research keywords and track results. It's a great tool for showing clients how vast their pool of competition is, especially for local businesses. Not to discourage them, but to show them how important a tight focus is on long-term keywords.

What do you dislike?

One of the few things it's missing is a way to research local search results.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You may need another way to evaluate local SEO results.

I use this to dig for great, long-tail keywords for my clients and to help me and them understand how strong or vulnerable their competitors may be in the SERPs. It's valuable even if you're not doing AdWords because you can see what terms are buyer-centric rather than informational. Just that is worth the investment.

SpyFu review by Darryl P.
Darryl P.

"Been a SpyFu fan and user for many years"

What do you like best?

One of the easier tools to reverse engineer competitor organic and paid search campaigns wuthout the restrictions and limitations that a number of other tools have at the same price point.

What do you dislike?

the interface itself is not the nicest of the tools thatbare available, but it does do a solid job of getting the data you need.... which for me is a rich dataset to export and use in various custom ways.

Recommendations to others considering the product

leverage the data yiu get to create your own custom lenses for your business. Every business has its own unique needs and challenges. Step 1 is getting a lay of the land, both for your site and your competition. SpyFu's dashboards and high level reports will help with this. Step 2 is getting as much raw data as possible to slice and dice and drill into. SpyFu is great for this at a solid price point. Step 3 is leveraging the data in a custom way to not only give your teams the insights they need, but also to create actionable plans based on real evidence that will set you up for growth and roi. Don't forget toninvest in this critical step. Ut's often worth 7 figures or more for many businesses.

Identifying gaps in client search portfolios. Identifying strengths and weaknesses of client SEO, sem stategies.

Reverse engineering influencer content to expand client partnership opportunities.

Identifying top ranking publisher sites in highly competitive markets in the b2b space

A number of other uses that save time and result in roi for our clients.

We combine spyfu with many other enterprise level tools to create custom dashboards and strategic action plans for our clients... which tend to be larger publishers, ecommerce sites and saas businesses.

SpyFu review by Sylvia F.
Sylvia F.

"Cool tool, I use it - but... "

What do you like best?

For competitive analysis as a branding and marketing leader, it's a great tool to see how competition is spending, their keywords, the tools they are using (when applicable), their traffic stats, etc. I think SpyFu is on the right path and when their technology advances, we'll all be the smarter for it.

What do you dislike?

The print to a pdf reporting tool is not very good - actually, the reporting tool, in general, could use an upgrade for better UX. I've also found discrepancies in data within the same report - I realize this is the code, or algorithmic, but I think it could vastly be improved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For visual presentations, screenshotting or building your own presentations vs. using their reporting is best. Their reports in a PDF for example, will at times completely cut off in the wrong spot, so you are losing half of your report off page somewhere.

I have used this tool for multiple clients to give them the reality of their online competition, vs. their perceived competition. Also, showing what kind of digital spending is taking place is helpful when arguing for a larger spend on behalf of the client.

SpyFu review by Lee C.
Lee C.

"I tried four different SEO services, this is the only one I stuck with"

What do you like best?

The user experience is clean and intuitive - I'm not an SEO expert (yet) but I was able to learn a lot based on just their information architecture.

Being able to view competitor's actual Google Ads is extremely useful.

The tutorials are great and I even took them up on a live tutorial session with someone on the customer service team, which was beneficial.

What do you dislike?

I have a client in Asia and would like to be able to access a data set outside of the US/UK, which is the only data set currently available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do the free trial to see if it's right for you. A few days after signing up you should get an email offering you a free tutorial session with one of the customer service people - take them up on it. I found it very useful to help me get started.

Analyzing competitors SEO and PPC campaigns, identifying what keywords to focus on.

SpyFu review by kirsten j.
kirsten j.

"A Powerful Tool "

What do you like best?

I Like feeling like the decisions I make, and the work that I am doing are well educated. I feel confident when explaining our strategy to my team for both SEO and PPC keywords

What do you dislike?

There are limited results for my specific industry and area, sometimes the keywords and other insights don't seem to be as valuable to my business personally as others are.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The information provided is vital to making educated business decisions. I would recommend running reports often and using that information to inform the way that you are allocating your spend for PPC and the way that you are designing your approach to SEO. Also I highly recommend the competitive analysis. Keeping up to date with the market that you are doing business in is very important and SPYFU makes it easy to keep track of what your competition is doing. I have not used the Social Media features of the site, but I am excited to get into those and see what they are all about.

We want to be making smart purchasing decisions in ppc, and work towards beneficial seo keywords. Also the competition reports are very important in our very competitive market. They show us what areas we are competitively priced and what areas we can add or cut back on. We use that feature probably most often, and it is the most impressive part to show the members of our team outside of the marketing department.

SpyFu review by Eric A.
Eric A.

"SpyFu for PPC Clients"

What do you like best?

This is absolutely essential software for Border West, my digital marketing company. Not only does it provide invaluable information for creating PPC accounts, we utilize this information to sell to potential clients. They are amazed by the amount of knowledge we have, not only on their website, but on their competitors. It makes my job infinitely easier.

What do you dislike?

Some keywords and websites don't register with their PPC spend, but SpyFu is trying to constantly update this issue. The Leads tab on the list builder is impossible to search with. I feel like the search options could be much more efficient.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're in the SEO or PPC industry, it is essential. Between SpyFu and SEM Rush, I think SpyFu is better, and less expensive. Even if you are working on your own SEO or PPC campaign as a novice, SpyFu can save you from making costly mistakes.

Keyword research, comparing PPC accounts for different companies. I've realized that many PPC management companies are either incompetent, lazy, or outright dishonest, which makes my job that much easier.

SpyFu review by Ryan E.
Ryan E.

"SpyFu has provided fantastic competitive research on all aspects of SEO and SEM"

What do you like best?

I like that I am able to get great detail on competitors keywords and their ranking history. I tgive me a great perspsective on where my competitors are spending their efforts. I also like to see the history for adwords and their ads that show the iterations of the competitors history and language. I am able to run a comprehensive report for my clients that provide information that is consumable and actionable. I am able to white lable these report and provide a true value to my customers.

What do you dislike?

I wish SpyFu updated more that on a monthly basis and delivered more comprehensive keyword rankings. Some of the report are a little long and are hard to parse into action items for customers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Watch the tutorials and explore all of the tools.

I am able to gain insight into my competitors and also gain a comprehensive view of my own websites and their performance. As I service other clients SEO needs this provides a great reporting platform on performance.

SpyFu review by Paul D.
Paul D.

"SpyFu let's our smaller company compete with the big guys in our industry."

What do you like best?

The depth and insight that SpyFu allows to our Analytics is amazing. They have a fabulous video-based KB that stresses that it's OK to just utilize what is applicable to our situation. I like that.

What do you dislike?

Dislike is the wrong word here, but the same 'depth' that I raved about above can also seem a bit daunting at first. Overall, thought the learning curve is quite manageable.

SpyFu allows us to plan & deploy an amazing SEO strategy right out of the gate. No more guessing. Plus, the competitive intel they provide really helps us get a peek into how our larger competitors spend their PPC budget (hint: bigger doesn't mean better!).

SpyFu review by Alexander L.
Alexander L.

"Great competitive PPC and SEO Tool"

What do you like best?

SpyFu is excellent for developing useful lists of keywords, backlink opportunities, and SEO observations. I especially SpyFu's historical PPC research tool, which allows a user to see exactly how a competitor has changed their advertising over time.

Over the last year, SpyFu has made great strides in refining their project view for keywords—it's now very easy to assemble and act on persistent keyword lists for individual clients or projects.

What do you dislike?

I wish that SpyFu included some Google Display network, or other banner advertising research feature. It's not their mission, but it's one area where I wish we didn't have to use other services to pull in related domain-level advertising data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

SpyFu is a solid SEO and PPC analysis tool. It's most similar to Moz and SEMRush—each of these products has their strengths and weaknesses. I'd recommend trying each. For us, SpyFu gives us the tools we use the most at an affordable cost per month.

We conduct SEO audits and perform competitive keyword research. For competitive keyword research, SpyFu really shines–it's very quick and thorough for this portion of the analysis.

SpyFu review by Richard Sean M.
Richard Sean M.

"Spyfu.com Provides Insulin-shock of Data Goodness"

What do you like best?

For me, Spyfu's best attribute isn't what is obvious data like AdWords Ad Copy from competitors although that is amazing too. What I like are the comparisons I didn't expect like who Spyfu thinks my competitors are. Some of the competiton was very surprising and shows weaknesses in how we are presenting our site. Who we think we are doesn't matter because if you don't align with the people you want to beat, you won't have a very good chance of beating them.

What do you dislike?

I like being able to slice and dice stuff the way I want to so the raw .csv files are great. I can get tired because of all the digging but that's not Spyfu's fault. I would like to request integration with LinkedIn to make contact with decision makers with companies you research.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Know what you want data-wise and figure out if SpyFu can get it. It is easy to waste a lot of time looking at "interesting" stuff.

I work in competitive niches so honing in on what to target is critical because of time constraints.

SpyFu review by Aris J.
Aris J.

"The only tool I use to show clients what their advertising budget should be."

What do you like best?

The fact that you can view keywords used by competitors and the cost - helps us create a logical budget for the client. In addition it is simple to use and straightforward.

What do you dislike?

Its a dislike for myself rather than spyfu - as I wish I have the time to learn every aspect of what spyfu offers. Learn not how to use it, but rather how to make the best out of it for our clients.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Anyone who is interested to spend ad dollars must use SpuFu to understand their competitor

The biggest problem we have with advertising clients is their expectation and how much they should advertise. Once we walk them thru a competitor profile, they quickly realize what we are saying is credible and we flat out tell them - if you do anything less than what we are showing you - please go somewhere else.

SpyFu review by Brandon S.
Brandon S.

"A great tool for getting SEO/PPC research in real time."

What do you like best?

I love that I can query SERP and PPC data and get back both current and historical data in real time. Other tools make you wait once a week to see updated stats. Building keyword groups on specific projects is also a great feature. SpyFu makes competitive analysis super easy.

What do you dislike?

The formatting of the PDF reports is lacking. The visual style looks dated, and the automatic generation results in blank pages and messy formatting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a cost effective tool that provides accurate SEO & PPC research data in real time I would definitely give SpyFu a try.

SpyFu is the best tool I've found over the years for competitive SEO analysis. It makes it possible to surface keywords that our competitors share with us, as well as potential blind spots in our SEO content that we can improve upon.

SpyFu review by Brenda N.
Brenda N.

"SpyFu Has Helped Me Grow My Business"

What do you like best?

It's super easy to use. Because of this, I normally have SpyFu pulled up during my initial client calls so I can research their efforts and their competitors' efforts on the fly.

What do you dislike?

I'm not a fan of the "Projects" feature. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I think if I saw a training or two on how people use it that would help. I'd love regular training videos and/or webinars from SpyFu on real-world techniques used to help real clients, like case studies that are presented as mini trainings.

SpyFu's ease of use and speedy results helps to build my credibility with clients and helps me understand what I challenges I am facing with each client so I can zero in on the appropriate next steps for my client far more quickly than I could ever to before.

SpyFu review by Carmen W.
Carmen W.

"Spyfu Gives You the Results You Need"

What do you like best?

I like getting custom reports with valuable information on how to rank for clients and my own websites. The reports are perfect for submitting directly to your clients, and they are very professional. It's very useful to have competitor data for pay per click campaigns, search engine optimization strategies. The service is a well-designed suite of tools for both PPC and SEO campaigns. It's also less expensive and more comprehensive than other online software programs. It's also very user friendly, and the information is provided quickly. There is no waiting for the metrics to populate.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing about the service I dislike.

I have used SpyFu to gather information on how to improve SEO rankings, and to create and manage profitable PPC campaigns. I used the service to find valuable keywords, and I like that the service offers access to so many useful tools.It's nice to be able to find everything you are looking for in one tool instead of having to search all over the internet. I used Spyfu in my graduate class this semester, and found it to be very helpful, and useful for displaying stats and reports based on important metrics and analysis.

SpyFu review by Jackson H.
Jackson H.

"Incredible tool"

What do you like best?

You can just search the webpage you want know which keywords you want to put if starting a project.

In general is a brutal tool to improve SEO in your project, what ever you are doing.

They have tons of competitor information and keyword universe stuff is super informative. I like how you can choose to see shared or unique to you and few competitor keywords.

What do you dislike?

It doesn't cover all the keywords, we have to add keywords into observation list. We can't relay on SpyFu to get instantaneous data for any keyword. I'd say the only thing I dislike is when I can't find any volume research on keywords that I type in but then when I go to other keyword planners I can get metrics. I also want to be able to search popular keywords by geographic area and all I get is local or global research.

Recommendations to others considering the product

good tool very smart tool

PPC Keyword Research, Consulting on SEO on-site Keywords, Competitor research, Adcopy spying & understanding competitor budgets.

Benefits, you can know how much a company spends on paid advertising through keywords and then can use that to possibly reach out to them to sell them on advertising

SpyFu review by Ashley W.
Ashley W.

"Incredible product, service and support"

What do you like best?

Using Spyfu gave our company incredible insight into our online presence against our competitors.

A lot of other services can give you a rating of your company, but Spyfu is the only one we found that breakdown each part of our online presence with clear data, AND gives us insight into how that holds up against our competition.

What do you dislike?

The price. Spyfu is incredibly expensive. It would be nice to have a lower cost so we could make using part of our monthly marketing plan. Right now we only use it once a year or so.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Throwing money at SEO and PPC hoping and guessing that it'll bring a return is great, if you don't like money. But, If you want to make sure your SEO is on point and you're competitive online, and that you're marketing dollars are actually working for you then you have to try Spyfu!

We thought we had been very thorough in cultivating our online persona, but Spyfu helped us see where there were gaps and gave us solutions on how to fix them.

There are so many aspects of maintaining the online face of a company it's easy to forget the loose ends. Spyfu gave us a realistic reading of what we looked like and what we were missing, which helped us tie up those loose ends.

SpyFu review by Ashley F.
Ashley F.

"Great insights for an affordable price"

What do you like best?

Being able to do competitive research for my clients is a great way to prepare for pitch meetings as well as find gaps for current clients to pursue. SpyFu has everything I need to do deep analysis without a bunch of tools I won't ever use.

What do you dislike?

It would be great to have some type of internal link tool or broken link tool so I could run all of my link reports in one place.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are just looking for competitive research and gap analysis, then this is the perfect tool. It has everything you need to do SEO analysis without a bunch of other tools you would pay for but don't need.

I can now provide gap analysis for my clients in a short amount of time and being able to have this information ahead of pitches to potential clients lets them know I've done my homework.

SpyFu review by Chad Michael L.
Chad Michael L.

"Very Useful Suite of Tools"

What do you like best?

I"ve been with them since day 1 and I haven't canceled because it's a very, very useful service.

I LOVE the Adwords data and the way it ties into SEO. It helps me make strong decisions in my own business and the clients I work with.

What do you dislike?

The numbers don't always match the Adwords keyword tool but it's rarely a huge discrepancy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very solid set of data that can help you further your business and make impactful decisions.

With Adwords, it's snowing where to start when running an ad campaign on Google. Seeing what's out there already and how often that ad changed. It tells you what's going on so you can position yourself accordingly.

With SEO, it helps me prioritize my keyword targets. Know what to rank for and what you can expect to see as far as ROI goes.

SpyFu review by Adrienne D.
Adrienne D.

"Best Keyword Tool - Helped Make My Clients Over $75M"

What do you like best?

No other tool has the organic clicks that SpyFu has, the history on ads of all the competitors for a specific keyword and the combat to see which competitors are missing the "golden nugget" keywords. All the PPC and Organic metrics are worth their weight in gold. There is no comparison on any other keyword tool.

What do you dislike?

I honestly don't have anything I dislike about the best keyword tool on the planet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Watch their videos and look at their guide that shows you how to find buying keywords before you sign up. Check out their free trial when available. It's worth it for you personally or your business.

Keyword and niche strategy research of the competition to find buying keywords. I've made my clients over $75 million to date using this keyword tool.

SpyFu review by Kale B.
Kale B.

"Great for researching competition in our industry"

What do you like best?

First of all, there are several things I really like about spy for you. The first is the ease of use in the SpyFu interface when researching my competitor keywords and seeing where the weaknesses lie.

The next and possibly my favorite feature is the Kombat mode in which I can see exactly where our closest competitors strengths and weaknesses are in their keywords and ads.

What do you dislike?

The only issue I have is that Spyfu makes so much data available to you that sometimes it takes a while to see exactly how you want to make use of the information.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Once you really get into using it to research what competitors in your industry are doing, you'll appreciate how powerful the software is. You'll wonder how you ever got along without it. If it seems too complicated, don't give up, there are lots of training videos and emails that come out quite regularly to help you along too.

We are able to spot weaknesses in our competitors strategies in web and keyword advertising, and can even see where our greatest opportunities are, seeing areas that we are weaker or not as consistent. We’ve just st started with it, and already have our SEO manager creating new ways to incorporate different keywords into our content.

SpyFu review by Amanda W.
Amanda W.

"SpyFu -- An SEO Powertool"

What do you like best?

Real data, longitudinal data, easy to get at data, downloadable data so that it can be massaged as the user sees fit. It is best in class -- particularly if you like data. I have used SpyFu since it first came out. They have continued to upgrade and add features that make it more valuable. It is an excellent tool for competitive SEO research, keyword research and many other data-heavy tasks.

What do you dislike?

There is not much to dislike. When I have had problems in the past, the support is fast and responsive. My only problem ever has been when changes (improvements) are made I have to adapt. It is my problem not theirs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it, and you will like it.

SEO competitive research, keyword research, PPC spend research on competitors.

SpyFu review by Joe P.
Joe P.

"Not just a great way to "spy," a great way to learn about your product."

What do you like best?

What I really enjoy about SpyFU is learning more about my own keyword usage and where I rank. Yes, it is great learning what the competition is doing, but it has been equally important knowing where we need to improve.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the CPC tool is way off what we are paying. Even with a quality score of 9/10, it can be off by several dollars. Which in the long run can affect a company with a limited budget.

Recommendations to others considering the product

At the very least give it a try. For the price and what you get, it has been worth it.

Benefits include knowing where we rank to help improve with SEO and SEM. Seeing what type of ads the competition is doing allows us the opportunity to stand out.

SpyFu review by Daniel C.
Daniel C.

"Great for PPC & SEO Insights"

What do you like best?

I like that SpyFu tailors a lot of functionality for PPC-specifics and even gives tips on how to increase your SERP spot without spending anything. This enables useful SEO & PPC data to work together to find potential opportunities.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that even though they are aligned proportionately, the estimated spend of competitors is not accurate $ for $. I can verify this by my own spend being off but proportionately accurate to our other companies even though not a 1:1 ratio.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Small businesses that cannot afford SEO & PPC agency prices

I have realized the presence of an existing company had and evaluated our first steps for PPC following an acquisition. I have seen many benefits but the most impact is when keeping up with brand awareness and competition. Great tool!

Learning about SpyFu?

* We monitor all SpyFu reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.