Want to see who topped the 2019 Best Software Awards?

SQL Developer

4.0
(79 reviews)

Oracle database management tool

Work for SQL Developer?

Learning about SQL Developer?

SQL Developer Reviews

Showing 87 SQL Developer reviews
SQL Developer review by Gustavo A.
Gustavo A.

"Useful tool for basic SQL"

What do you like best?

SQL Developer is very useful to organize different connections (Oracle databases). It's easy to use, intuitive and clean design. It has plenty plugin users.

It's free.

In terms of SQL developing it's a tool that offers the developer everything needed.

What do you dislike?

Quite slow and not so useful if you are not using an Oracle Database.

If you want to edit a table the process is not so quick as it should.

It has to improve some export tools (Excel tables, e-mail connection).

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are starting with SQL, SQL Developer is good starting point.

If you are using for professional purposes, more advanced level, the tool gives a lot and almost everything needed and it's free.

To develop the application I am working on at the moment, I need to get information and cross it with different databases. SQL does the job.

I also use it to Data management of different applications.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about SQL Developer
SQL Developer review by Prashant S.
Prashant S.

"Great tool to execute SQL on any database"

What do you like best?

It has a good interface and also we can get list of all SQL executed in history section.

It has explain plan which is of great help.

Also now we can manually specify the TNS file path which is of great help to developers.

In recent release its ability to connect to cloud dB.

What do you dislike?

The result which we get after executed should be saved in a csv. It get lost if we run another query.

We should have history of result set.

Also it should have excel like feature to sort and filter result set.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its easy to install

Easy to use

has SQL Explain so you can check the performance of your SQL.

It help us to query database and generate reports which is shared to client.

What Non-Native Database Management Systems solution do you use?

SQL Developer review by Stanley J.
Stanley J.

"SQL Developer is a good option for keeping up with multiple Oracle Databases."

What do you like best?

I like that I can quickly organize multiple connections and get to them with a simple double click. The Auto-fill for packages, procedures, and functions helps write queries quicker with such a large code base. The sort and filter options in the results is also a great feature.

What do you dislike?

I would like the ability to drag column headers into queries from the results section. That is one function I believe would make the product better. SQL Dev also tends to be a bit resource hungry and can take a good bit of time to load on occasion.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are a lot of other products out there for managing and querying databases. This works particularly well for us, as we also primarily use Oracle Databases. Take a look at the nice integration with other Oracle systems, as I believe that's where this product truly shines.

I use SQL developer to query my data warehouse and other data sources I have access to. I use these queries to define data sets for use in analytics and also do auditing between data sources.

SQL Developer review by Margiorie M.
Margiorie M.

" Easy to use and reliable"

What do you like best?

It is an easy tool to use to perform the development of the different database components that are required, the component scanner is ideal for locating them. I always use it to program, debug and execute in a single environment what is needed. It allows me to efficiently and quickly manage users, permissions and profiles.

What do you dislike?

In general I like to work with SQl developer, I think it should only improve the generation of DDL and database documentation

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend it, since it is really very easy to use and reliable, it does not present problems when developing the different components that are required for the database.

With this tool I generate the components (Stored procedure, Types, Tables, etc) that are needed for the integration of BPM processes (Generate commercial credits, Credit cards, etc) with Soap services. It helps me resolve queries and updates from the front to the different Backend

SQL Developer review by Anthony J.
Anthony J.

"Good IDE for PL SQL"

What do you like best?

It allows you to save multiple database connections which comes in handy. The UI is clean and neat. You can use multiple filters on database objects.

What do you dislike?

SQL Developer doesn't have a built-in "profiler" that allows administrators to "see" what's happening in the server. Even 3rd party profilers doesn't give you as much detail like it's competitor, MS SQL.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try. Develop in parallel with your current database. It requires quite a stiff learning curve.

Cost. Some of our clients are migrating to Oracle because it's less expensive than MS SQL. But be very aware of the pros and cons. Have a thought about it.

SQL Developer review by John T.
John T.

"Useful for using Oracle, make sure your JAVA is in order."

What do you like best?

It connects up to all of our Oracle databases, and it has a native client for every platform.

What do you dislike?

I hate that by default it only loads 50 rows at a time. Also some bits are not very intuitive, or force the query to run a second time, for example trying to export data that was already displayed on your screen. This can be an extra pain for long queries.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have the latest JRE and JDK installed prior to installing it. If you only want to run one database tool, it does support plugins to allow you to connect to other data sources. I don't find it as intuitive as some other clients, but its common usage means there is a lot of documentation out on the web.

Troubleshooting database information within technical support. It works well and helps us find and analyze things.

SQL Developer review by Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"Comparison of Oracle SQL Developer with some other same products in the market"

What do you like best?

Saved Credential for users, Imp/Exp, GUI

What do you dislike?

Its Slow, it Don't Remember my Condition

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a good tools to play with data, but it is not very good in speed, The most painful is not keeping your where conditions saved to apply on other tables, rather you will have to write where condition again even you want to use the same where condition for other tables. Imp and exp command are not available for database. Other features are as good as in the other such products, like SQL Server , etc.

1. As a developer I user it for Checking my data whether every column is updating correctly as per my code, 2. When users make mistakes I quickly fetch that data using it. 3. Create tables and Indexes for my projects. 4. Write Procedures. 5. Copy my sql command that I use in my programs and run in here to check for the syntax or other errors. 6. Show my clients users the data from here to proof many things like whether the data is updating correctly and that they have made mistakes in entries. etc. 7. In Short I must keep my SQL Developer window opened while writing database applications so that I can quickly check the reflections.

SQL Developer review by Vipul J.
Vipul J.

"Good Tool. Does the Job. Prefer PLSQL Developer "

What do you like best?

Has a nice export query result functionality which supports exporting results to csv, xls, as well as a loader script. Easy to use UI. Provides nice to have interface for accessing DBA objects if you have DBA privileges. Has easy integration with version control tools such as GIT and SVN.

What do you dislike?

Not so stable and lags if the query is taking a long time to execute. Hangs if query execution is stopped before completion of a time-consuming query. Cannot keep the application window open for a longer time as the application will stop responding and you will have to restart the application.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Free and comes with oracle installation. Has almost all the features which a Developer would need. Not fancy though. If you have a choice, go for Toad or PLSQL Developer.

As I am worked in the Financial Domain, most of the business logic resides in the backend. Creating MIS daily and quarterly reports for a major financial institution is the main business goal for our project. SQL Developer has inbuilt features which help in performance tuning of the application. Provides explain plan window as well other query analyser features which are useful for performance tuning of the queries.

SQL Developer review by Jared K.
Jared K.

"Does the job, but not too well"

What do you like best?

Somewhat intuitive layout and the ability to store and easily access multiple different connections that have been previously setup easily and fast.

What do you dislike?

Overall it's a clunky and often slow interface. There's no way to really get into the tables to edit data without right clicking on the table name IF it's in a select statement and going to "Open Declaration". It also handles unexpected disconnects poorly. The "Reconnect" menu item does not always work when the database has been unexpectedly disconnected and when it does work it sits for several seconds (maybe closer to 10) before it seems to realize the connection was already dropped and then it finally reconnects. Also, I believe it's when you disconnect then reconnect that it opens a new SQL window instead of allowing you to automatically start executing SQLs in the one you previously had open. You can use that window that was previously open, but you need to point it at the connection again. The execution plan is also not very intuitive. SQL Server Management Studio was designed much better. Toad, I hear, is a good replacement for SQL Developer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use Toad instead. I have not used Toad myself, but many I work with use it and when I am working with them they seem to navigate it easily and they also all prefer it to SQL Developer. I really need to jump on the Toad bandwagon in my office.

Maintaining a database for a CIS application.

SQL Developer review by User

"Review for SQL Developer"

What do you like best?

SQL Developer is an extremely useful application for management and development of databases. It allows you to perform all the possible tasks you need to work with databases. Writing a query is really simple and help is easily available if you are stuck anywhere. You can code, test and debug using this one application itself. It also allows you to integrate with multiple databases.

What do you dislike?

When you execute long queries with many joins in them, SQL Developer works really slow or even freezes at times. You have to end up killing it in and writing the query again if you had not saved it. It would be nice to have an option of saving old results even after we execute a new query.

Recommendations to others considering the product

One of the best applications for analyzing database systems

I use SQL Developer to query our CRM application database to understand the relation between various fields and how they are related to various other tables. I use this information to analyze and provide a fix to any problem faced on our application.

SQL Developer review by Isa D.
Isa D.

"Good basic program"

What do you like best?

Easy to use. With this program you are up and running in no time. I love the feature that lets you store queries so you can pull them up later and run again.

What do you dislike?

It seems inconvenient that you need to use another program to connect to the database before you can run SQL Developer. If I lose connection and the other program has to be reconnected, then SQL Developer will sometimes freeze. Then I'll have to restart and lose whatever query I am in the middle of building.

Recommendations to others considering the product

SQL Developer will get you up and running fairly quickly. Good interface for writing queries that can be stored for later use. Works well with Oracle.

I mainly use SQL Developer to query data from PowerSchool. When multiple tables are involved, pulling data is often easier and/or quicker with SQL Developer than with PowerSchool's build-in features.

SQL Developer review by Administrator in Oil & Energy
Administrator in Oil & Energy

"Sql developer does not function well"

What do you like best?

Its makes some of the ugly oracle issues go away, it has a good ui for the most part

What do you dislike?

Alot. F9 vs f5 for starters. Reconnect option never works and software give no feedback. Many of ghe options aren't where they should be, crashes far far more frequntly than it should, consumes a hige memory footprint, will often times not let user cancel sn action, the sproc interface is garbage, for starters.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have to edit an oracle db, Stick with toad, Its lighter weight and easier to use, and it doesn't crash.

Connecting to oracle instancd for basic crud type operations. Mostly in support oc client dba staff of to supporf our own software products. Thd only benefit id that we didnt pay for it

SQL Developer review by User in Government Administration
User in Government Administration

"SQL Developer Review"

What do you like best?

What I like best about SQL Developer as compared to other software that is similar is that it is very simple visually. All the Schemas, query outptuts, and other formatting is focused on functionality instead of aesthetics.

What do you dislike?

SQL Developer crashes a lot on my computer. When the connection is lost, I have to restart SQL Developer, as everything I have done does not get saved. Also, having many tabs open at a time can be problematic. However, these issues are common with other software as well, and I still prefer using SQL Developer over other products.

Recommendations to others considering the product

SQL Developer is a great tool to use for those who are working heavily with database validation and query writing.

I use SQL Developer to write queries to our database, as well as look at the packages and tables in the different schemas of our database.

SQL Developer review by Laura G.
Laura G.

"Great IDE for sql "

What do you like best?

It helps you organize different connections and even you can divide it with folders. It's fas and easy to use, very intuitive. You can filter your information and even the name of the tables, I like the function very much.

What do you dislike?

It's only useful if you use an oracle database. It might be a little slow if your script it's veeeeery long. Sometimes you have to adapt the query to oracle based sql.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great option to organize your database if you use an oracle one.

At work, we use it to connect with different databases based on oracle. It's easy to use. We use it to consult data of our applications.

SQL Developer review by Chirag A.
Chirag A.

"Great Software for writing SQL"

What do you like best?

It is having very good Graphical User Interface along with a nice object explore. Also one can see all the transaction related statistics without even writing the command.

What do you dislike?

It is bit heavy and sometimes took time while reconnecting or restarting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Sql developer is a great tool for writing SQL statements and creating PL/Sql stored procedures. I highly recommend this product due to its great graphical user interface and the auto suggestions.

We have a project in which we are doing application development and if user report any issue then we need to analyze the data where we need to use SQL developer.

Also it is best suitable for Oracle DB and analyzing any data become easier via this tool.

SQL Developer review by Sean S.
Sean S.

"A decent basic SQL editor"

What do you like best?

SQL Developer is a simple interface for basic coding and it has a robust set of customizations available, as well as integration with version control tools like git and SVN.

What do you dislike?

As a OS X user, I find that there are a fair number of features that just don't work, or only work with extensive manual modifications to the code base. I'd prefer a tool that worked reliably out of the box.

For example, if you want to use the "Reset password" feature you have to install the separate Instant Client, then go in and edit the launcher tool to set paths correctly for Darwin. Simply put, if the tool is available for a popular OS, features should be tested and working or made unavailable until they are.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It may be worthwhile to evaluate alternative tools if you're looking for something to do more than basic database queries.

Sometimes a GUI is nice. We have a lot of non-database developers that use SQL*Developer as a means of connecting easily with the database, which simplifies their lives.

SQL Developer review by Robby T.
Robby T.

"Great Data Extraction for Non-Profit Database"

What do you like best?

This software enables me to easily connect to my database and extract the specific information I need. I am able to join many different table and query based on many different criteria. The software program allows me to use long lists of criteria entries as well. It is intuitive, well organized and and fast.

What do you dislike?

The password interface to connect to different database instances could use some work to be more intuitive and easier to change or lookup forgotten passwords.

I am tasked with extracting specific data to be analyzed. The benefits of SQL developer include fast extraction of data, helpful troubleshooting, searchable queries and scripts, script key work highlighting and fast query building.

SQL Developer review by Suhasini B.
Suhasini B.

"My experience with SQL Developer"

What do you like best?

The best thing about SQL Developer is one of the best IDE. It has variety of plugins, includes easy design. It connects to all oracle database.

What do you dislike?

It becomes slow and hangs for a longer period of time. It doesn't load when big output needs to be delivered.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Works well with oracle database, good for beginners.

It is very helpful for the beginners as there is not much complications involved while using application.

SQL Developer review by User in Education Management
User in Education Management

"Not as user friendly as MS SQL"

What do you like best?

This SQL interface is used in many different companies so it has coverage. The syntax is clear and similar to other SQL interfaces.

What do you dislike?

This UI is not user friendly and seems to be bulky. It is hard to find tables easily. Poking around takes a lot of time to find what you need.

Recommendations to others considering the product

SQL Developer is a bit clunky and not intuitive. There are many how-to's online that can help a user with this software. There are other SQL interfaces that are more intuitive for non-dev and non-dbas that might be more appropriate.

Needed a quick way to pull data out of the DB.

"SQL developer"

What do you like best?

Easy to use, allows multiple connections and easy to switch between connections, opens up different worksheet for each connection. Simple to use for SQL beginners. Commits are easy within a click away for truncates/table updates.

What do you dislike?

Exporting values from the table is very slow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is free tool and can be used by both Development and QA teams for manual and qa automation testing. Allows to export the results into different formats like excel, text file etc.

We use this to do tables comparison with different versions of code for regression testing saving us time to manually test all combinations of test cases. We have developed PL Stored Procedures for tables comparisons expanding our regression testing scope not to miss any scenarios. It is free ware.

SQL Developer review by David C.
David C.

"Good program, lags sometimes, like Toad better"

What do you like best?

It has many options, easy to us UI. The tab system is done well and there are many DBA functions that can be used through the tool like checking tablespaces, currently running jobs and running execution plans for queries.

There is a DBA window that you can attach a connection to and if you have full DBA rights, then you can perform your functions via a UI instead of having to type them in a command prompt

What do you dislike?

It uses a lot of resources and it can sometimes just crash. When I try to remote into my work computer from home, sometimes the SQL Developer just closes itself. It gives no warning. Never had that issue using Toad.

I also havent been able to locate the table locks and which sessions are causing those locks at the moment. I hope to be able to find that functionality soon.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure your computer has a good amount of ram since this is a memory hog. I had issues running it with 4 gb ram, its been very smooth with 16gb ram.

I run analytical queries and test how fast queries are running when users complain about a report running slow. Also check for hanging sessions and can use the tool to request the DBAs to kill the job since I dont have any DBA privileges myself.

SQL Developer review by Joseph H.
Joseph H.

"The standard GUI for databases"

What do you like best?

Written in Java (I think), it can interface pretty much with any database that has a JDBC connector. You might have to tell it where the appropriate jar is, but that's not too difficult. Navigating tables, views, etc is pretty easy, much like navigating a file system.

What do you dislike?

If a query is taking a long time, SQL developer will freeze.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Another case of "everyone uses it, so you might as well use it." Any SQL queries you develop using it will work outside of SQL developer anyway.

Designing and developing database schemas to solve various problems, both in the classroom and in the real world. So much easier than a command line interface.

SQL Developer review by User in Investment Banking
User in Investment Banking

"SQL Developer Product Review"

What do you like best?

It is easy to use and provides plugin to major vendors like Sybase , Oracle , MySQL and SQLServer. One can easliy view the table and its DDL structure.One can amend the data in bulk through the GUI provided.One can create and run stored procedures , triggers through SQL Developer also.

What do you dislike?

It works well with oracle but for Sybase tables i doesn't show the constraints and indexes of a particular table.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please use this tool.The basic version is free and does most of the job needed for a SQL Programmer.It can run SQL Queries , enable you to view the table structure , amend the data in bulk and allow one to run queries on Sybase and MySQL tables as well.One can write stored procedures , triggers and views as well. using SQL Developer.It also allows one to import or export data in tables.

I am currently working on an MIS Application for which I use SQL Developer for viewing tables and running queries and stored procedures.

SQL Developer review by User in Oil & Energy
User in Oil & Energy

"Simple and Easy Tool for Oracle DB"

What do you like best?

I use sql developer to go look up oracle information directly from the backend tables rather than going through oracle forms. Save so much time once you learn the table structures. The tool can also help you build some simple scripts/reports. Ability to view the code behind custom oracle views they have behind the forms.

What do you dislike?

In my experience, browsing through the objects/fields by expanding/collapsing is very slow. Also exporting large result sets in excel format sometimes crashed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can save so much time by learning the table structures and using this tool to directly lookup information without having to go through oracle forms. Also a great took to do some data analytics.

Build simple reports, check on Oracle setting across multiple organizations from a single place using a simple script.

SQL Developer review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Does what it needs to do"

What do you like best?

The little limitation that SQL has on file size versus Excel, obviously! The interface is pretty simple but kind of archaic at the same time. It doesn't necessarily have to have a beautiful interface to be trustworthy but it might be less scary to novices/beginners.

What do you dislike?

As somewhat of SQL novice, I don't like when there are errors, SQL doesn't show you how to fix them as it does in Excel. Perhaps that is part of the understanding with SQL, that you are expert enough to know where you code is broken.

We get multiple sources of data in different file formats and SQL is great at combining files, especially large ones. It is nice to have a repository for these files and be able to link different data points into one table.

"Great application!"

What do you like best?

It is very easy to add various connections, formatting for SQL is in-built, the query output is available in various the extraction of outputs to reports.

What do you dislike?

The choice of fonts and query output available. If a queries in a script are not terminated properly, and the query where the cursor is run, it executes the full script, and at times executes more queries than intended.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd recommend anyone trying to use an editor for SQL

I use SQL Developer for data analysis and SQL development.

SQL Developer review by SHAILESH P.
SHAILESH P.

"Using SQL DEVELOPER"

What do you like best?

The easiness of using SQL developer is awesome. Its really comfortable to use.

What do you dislike?

managing with mulitple connections sometimes founds a bit of problem with opening multiple tables and viewing data is from different connections is bit slow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its really a good software to work on in terms of performance checking of queries.

I write queries and PL SQL blocks on SQL developer to debug the issue and also for performance checking how costly the query is.

SQL Developer review by David L.
David L.

"Oracle SQL Developer"

What do you like best?

I love the ability to interact with so many different databases and instances. It makes writing queries so easy -- especially with auto-complete suggestions.

What do you dislike?

The worksheets can become a bit cluttered. It would be nice if there was a way to collapse individual queries all the time. It does work sometimes, but certain query structures don't allow it.

We use SQL Developer to support our business by generating reports, etc.

SQL Developer review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"SQL Developer - integrated development environment"

What do you like best?

1. Easy to install by simply unzipping the downloaded file and running the executable

2.Beneficial to users of alternative platforms

3.Client server network traffic can be avoided by using Oracle SQL Developer because users of Oracle SQL Developer can install this software on the Database server and the users can be remotely connected from their desktops

4.Oracle Home is not required while using Oracle SQL Developer as the connectivity to the database is via JDBC thin driver

5.It is free

What do you dislike?

1. Absence of the schema browser in SQL Developer

2.Absence of a Modeler and Data Modeling features

1.Run analytical queries to test the performance of the different reports used in the day to day business.

2. Data maintenance and monitoring for the business applications

SQL Developer review by Rubén S.
Rubén S.

"Useful but needs improvements"

What do you like best?

This application is very easy to use. You can add many connections and browse different schemas easily. The SQL completion works very well and it has additional features like database comparison or database copying.

What do you dislike?

The application has some performance issues, if you keep the application open but idle for some time it becomes unresponsive (at least the linux version).

I'm web application developer and I use it for DB schema creation and manipulation, as well as data checking.

SQL Developer review by Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"one stop solution for all the database needs"

What do you like best?

The user Interface is quite easy to interact with and very fascinating when it comes to manipulate with the data from the database

What do you dislike?

When we have to remotely access database through a VPN (virtual private connection) connection and somehow if we forget to turn on the VPN(virtual private connection) and connect to database through SQL Developer, it takes time to respond and crashes in a rare scenario like this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend this software as it helps you to manipulate data and manage database connections with ease.

As a software engineer, while fixing a bug we need query data to understand if the query is returning correct data or not. hence this helps us rectifying the problem.

SQL Developer review by Roger C.
Roger C.

"Developing oracle applications with SQL Developer"

What do you like best?

The tool was very intuitive to use. There was only a small learning curve before a new user could be very productive. Menus contained the items you'd assume would be under them. Icons reflected the actions they represented

What do you dislike?

It was possible to display too many icons, too many menus, too many windows. The screen became intimidating. Even experienced users could become lost.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Given a basic understanding of Oracle and SQL, this product should be an immediate help to developers and business users. Establishing this as "the" SQL tool for a team of developers increases the benefits you can reap from it.

The project was to merge legacy data into the current oracle database. We needed to not only create scripts to accomplish the merger, but to also be able to validate that other data merges were successful. Being able to create and populate tables on the fly saved a lot of time. Many of the functions were needed to use were already available to us.

SQL Developer review by Jan P.
Jan P.

"SQL Developer as everyday tool"

What do you like best?

It is one of the few IDE for PL/SQL development which can be run on OSX and Windows and it is trying to be real IDE not just notepad with syntax highlight (but still so much to achieve).

What do you dislike?

Instability and plenty of annoying bugs, which leads to restarting SQL developer at least twice a day (and I'm not counting that it at least twice a day dies spontaneously)

Recommendations to others considering the product

On OSX there is not so many choices, on windows you can choose better.

fulltime PL/SQL development of financial application

SQL Developer review by User in Computer Software

"Intuitive and Free SQL Tool"

What do you like best?

While the license of SQL Developer is a proprietary license by Oracle, it is a free product. It is very easy to pick up and get started with intuitive tools and user interface.

What do you dislike?

Like some of the other tools from Oracle, the software can be a bit buggy and crash often. I've noticed this using the SQL Developer software on Mac OSX.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Since it's free, it's definitely recommended to give it a download. Take a look at the various plugins that are available since it can expand the functionality of the software.

I've been using this tool with various clients to manage some simple relational databases. Since it's a completely free product, I can throw it on all of my machines when I need to manage the database side of the projects.

SQL Developer review by Executive Sponsor in Telecommunications
Executive Sponsor in Telecommunications

"Good experience with some fallbacks"

What do you like best?

I like the integracion that it have (full) with Oracle product. I has plenty of functionalities for beginners and pros, if you like to go a little more further i recommend other tool like Toad.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the incompatibilities between SQL Developer and (Java Version + Windows Version) that causes glitches on the gui. If you have some luck its a problem that will never reach you, but sometimes you need to change JDK used o touch some configuration to have it working properly (mainly on the gui)

We heavily use Oracle database, with SQL Developers our Software Engineers connect to DBRMS.

"Perfect Database product"

What do you like best?

I am currently using PL/SQL developer at my place of employment. Its a very easy tool to analyze data and perform arithmetic operations on data. The UI is simple and makes it easy to type large codes. Querying data is really fast.

What do you dislike?

The PL/SQL developer lacks certain features like data import. If you need to import data from an external object you would need additional tools like access. Also moving around schema can get sometimes get tough. Timestamp fields are also difficult to view. You either need to see empty timestamp like 00:00 if the original column did not have time element or if you alter the NLS you cannot see the time element even if the column had time data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Going good.

Data analysis.

SQL Developer review by Apeksha G.
Apeksha G.

"Ease of work with SQL Developer "

What do you like best?

The easy to use interface makes your tasks easier. I also like the intellisense technology that gives you recommendations for auto-complete. It helps you save time

What do you dislike?

It can use some advanced features as present int the tool TOAD

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend using SQL developer as the complete DB solution.

I am working on RDBMS DML. It provides me with a much cleaner UI and makes it easier to interpret the results

SQL Developer review by Brad K.
Brad K.

"Great product for multiple database technologies."

What do you like best?

Despite being developed by SQL Developer allows users to easily manage connections Oracle databases as well as to a multitude of database technologies such as SQL Server, Mysql, and Teradata through third party plugins. The tool is very intuitive, and you can't beat the free price.

What do you dislike?

After idling for a long time, the application will occasionally stop responding and the user may be forced to quit. A similar problem exists when refreshing connections to a database after the connection times out. It can be a hassle to restart the application.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can't beat this level of a product for free! SQL Developer beats many other non-free database front-ends.

Data integration tasks using Oracle FDMEE and ARM.

SQL Developer review by Administrator

"I Love SQL Developer great product"

What do you like best?

I like that it is free, its a great tool and at no cost. I work in Higher ED and buying new tools is hard. This one is free so i dont need to get approval.

What do you dislike?

I seem to use the same features all the time. I would like to begin using it more and in different ways. But i dont know where to begin. I wish there were more short tutorials about different features.

Administration of Oracle database. Benefits are numerous it helps me save time resolving issues.

SQL Developer review by Daniel F.
Daniel F.

"Best SQL IDE out there!"

What do you like best?

SQL Developer integrates everything I've ever wanted or needed to do developing in SQL.

What do you dislike?

There's an occasional time that a query/process won't be able to be stopped and I must kill the application.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a highly used software, and for good reason. I believe it's the best SQL IDE available. I can quickly work through it creating my SQL scripts. I feel very enabled using it.

Quick development of SQL scripts with built in tools to create tables/links/synonyms, etc.

SQL Developer review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Sql Developer is very good free tool available for pl/sql development"

What do you like best?

GUI is very good and it is helpful for developers to analyze the data and create a Entity Relationship Diagram. We can compare sql reports here.

What do you dislike?

this should be more compatible for schema comparison.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its very good tool and free available on oracle website. Any one can take this and use it directly.

Creating pl/sql program, sql scripts, er diagrams and code debug

SQL Developer review by User in Higher Education

"Oracle SQL Developer"

What do you like best?

Love Oracle SQL Developer. It is my tool of choice as a DBA and Programmer. There are so many different tools in this software package. I am a Mac user and I was very happy to see this. So easy to set up and use. Can't beat the cost too.

What do you dislike?

The one thing I would say is a disadvantage of Oracle SQL Developer is that it is memory intensive. I have a problem with memory hogs like this.

Yes absolutely. We all use this tool to write adhoc queries and some reporting.

SQL Developer review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Great tool"

What do you like best?

Easy to use and very effective features to use for a database. The GUI is very good and it offers best competition to other database clients such as Toad.

What do you dislike?

Nothing much to dislike but adding other new features is greatly appreciated.

Logiing in to the database, running queries, exporting and importing data, graphical interface of the relational database etc.

SQL Developer review by User

"Great environment to manage and query multiple databases"

What do you like best?

Easy management of multiple connections to different databases. The learning curve is not steep and is really ideal for developers that just need to do simple actions like queries..

What do you dislike?

For more complex actions, it might not be the best. The intuitiveness of where certain actions should be isn't too great, and sometimes takes multiple clicks just to get there. Also, the autocomplete does not function properly pretty often.

With a low learning curve, it is easy to train new people on how to access our data.

SQL Developer review by User in Financial Services

"A great companion to Oracle Database"

What do you like best?

Native support to Oracle Database, has all the features that are needed for Oracle DB, free and powerful SQL IDE.

What do you dislike?

Support Oracle DB only. If you need to work across different DB engines, you have to use other tools such as Navicat.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are using Oracle DB, that is the number one tool you should consider first.

We are using SQL developer to manage database tables, triggers, procedures. We also use it to debug and test SQL statements.

SQL Developer review by User in International Affairs
User in International Affairs

"Not good enough but... free"

What do you like best?

The best thing is that SQL Developer is free (comes with Oracle installation), and also uses native libraries.

Obviously, if you are using Oracle DBS, you will not have any connection problems.

It's very easy to install, and it has a very good support

What do you dislike?

There are much much better options in the market, specially TOAD and PLSQL Developer, but, they are not free.

SQL developer is slow, very slow, and believe it or not, it has a lot of bugs.

Also the interface is not very friendly.

At least, provides all the necessary to a developer to work with Oracle DBs

SQL Developer review by User in Automotive
User in Automotive

"Powerful Database Tool that grows with you"

What do you like best?

I've been able to connect to several variants of databases with a single installation of Oracle SQL Developer.

By utilizing the External Plugins DLL extension, I've successfully used this tool to interface with IBM DB2, PostgreSQL, Oracle DBs, MySQL, Sybase, SQLServer, and Access.

Whatever you throw at this thing, you can find a way to connect to your database.

The UI is easy to walk through and once you learn how to pin tables, it is an easy tool to compare tables side by side.

What do you dislike?

Installation was not as straight forward or out-of-the-box.

Plugins can be a little tricky at first and may take a few tries to get configured correctly.

It would be great if there was an easier way of sharing connections with colleagues to allow for quicker team set up.

Internal business applications for support.

SQL Developer review by Claudia P.
Claudia P.

"Base de datos muy completa"

What do you like best?

Tiene multitud de funciones, que te permite estar conectado a diferetentes bases de datos a la vez.

What do you dislike?

Cuando haces consultas muy pesadas que se queda colgado.

Por mi trabajo necesito trabajar con Bases de datos, sin un SQL seria mucho peor.

SQL Developer review by Scott M.
Scott M.

"Good for a standalone database tool."

What do you like best?

I like the tool as a standalone database tool for modifying tables and cells.

What do you dislike?

It doesn't have as many features as other database tools I've used in the past, but good overall.

Modifying database tables, cells, running queries, etc.

SQL Developer review by Administrator

"SQL Developer"

What do you like best?

Ability to quickly establish a connection to the database to test connectivity. Ability to call sql developer from linux to troubleshoot issues.

What do you dislike?

The interface is not very user friendly. Would be nice to be able to select the database being connected to from a list of values instead of having to type it.

Connectivity problems related to third party integration tools. It is easiest to test connections with sql developer.

Learning about SQL Developer?

* We monitor all SQL Developer reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.