SQL Developer

Oracle database management tool

Work for SQL Developer?

Learning about SQL Developer?

SQL Developer Reviews

Showing 65 SQL Developer reviews
SQL Developer review by <span>Gustavo A.</span>
Gustavo A.

Useful tool for basic SQL

What do you like best?

SQL Developer is very useful to organize different connections (Oracle databases). It's easy to use, intuitive and clean design. It has plenty plugin users.

It's free.

In terms of SQL developing it's a tool that offers the developer everything needed.

What do you dislike?

Quite slow and not so useful if you are not using an Oracle Database.

If you want to edit a table the process is not so quick as it should.

It has to improve some export tools (Excel tables, e-mail connection).

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are starting with SQL, SQL Developer is good starting point.

If you are using for professional purposes, more advanced level, the tool gives a lot and almost everything needed and it's free.

To develop the application I am working on at the moment, I need to get information and cross it with different databases. SQL does the job.

I also use it to Data management of different applications.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about SQL Developer
SQL Developer review by <span>Stanley J.</span>
Stanley J.

SQL Developer is a good option for keeping up with multiple Oracle Databases.

What do you like best?

I like that I can quickly organize multiple connections and get to them with a simple double click. The Auto-fill for packages, procedures, and functions helps write queries quicker with such a large code base. The sort and filter options in the results is also a great feature.

What do you dislike?

I would like the ability to drag column headers into queries from the results section. That is one function I believe would make the product better. SQL Dev also tends to be a bit resource hungry and can take a good bit of time to load on occasion.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are a lot of other products out there for managing and querying databases. This works particularly well for us, as we also primarily use Oracle Databases. Take a look at the nice integration with other Oracle systems, as I believe that's where this product truly shines.

I use SQL developer to query my data warehouse and other data sources I have access to. I use these queries to define data sets for use in analytics and also do auditing between data sources.

What Non-Native Database Management Systems solution do you use?

SQL Developer review by <span>Margiorie M.</span>
Margiorie M.

Easy to use and reliable

What do you like best?

It is an easy tool to use to perform the development of the different database components that are required, the component scanner is ideal for locating them. I always use it to program, debug and execute in a single environment what is needed. It allows me to efficiently and quickly manage users, permissions and profiles.

What do you dislike?

In general I like to work with SQl developer, I think it should only improve the generation of DDL and database documentation

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend it, since it is really very easy to use and reliable, it does not present problems when developing the different components that are required for the database.

With this tool I generate the components (Stored procedure, Types, Tables, etc) that are needed for the integration of BPM processes (Generate commercial credits, Credit cards, etc) with Soap services. It helps me resolve queries and updates from the front to the different Backend

SQL Developer review by <span>John T.</span>
John T.

Useful for using Oracle, make sure your JAVA is in order.

What do you like best?

It connects up to all of our Oracle databases, and it has a native client for every platform.

What do you dislike?

I hate that by default it only loads 50 rows at a time. Also some bits are not very intuitive, or force the query to run a second time, for example trying to export data that was already displayed on your screen. This can be an extra pain for long queries.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have the latest JRE and JDK installed prior to installing it. If you only want to run one database tool, it does support plugins to allow you to connect to other data sources. I don't find it as intuitive as some other clients, but its common usage means there is a lot of documentation out on the web.

Troubleshooting database information within technical support. It works well and helps us find and analyze things.

SQL Developer review by Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Consultant in Information Technology and Services

Comparison of Oracle SQL Developer with some other same products in the market

What do you like best?

Saved Credential for users, Imp/Exp, GUI

What do you dislike?

Its Slow, it Don't Remember my Condition

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a good tools to play with data, but it is not very good in speed, The most painful is not keeping your where conditions saved to apply on other tables, rather you will have to write where condition again even you want to use the same where condition for other tables. Imp and exp command are not available for database. Other features are as good as in the other such products, like SQL Server , etc.

1. As a developer I user it for Checking my data whether every column is updating correctly as per my code, 2. When users make mistakes I quickly fetch that data using it. 3. Create tables and Indexes for my projects. 4. Write Procedures. 5. Copy my sql command that I use in my programs and run in here to check for the syntax or other errors. 6. Show my clients users the data from here to proof many things like whether the data is updating correctly and that they have made mistakes in entries. etc. 7. In Short I must keep my SQL Developer window opened while writing database applications so that I can quickly check the reflections.

SQL Developer review by <span>Vipul J.</span>
Vipul J.

Good Tool. Does the Job. Prefer PLSQL Developer

What do you like best?

Has a nice export query result functionality which supports exporting results to csv, xls, as well as a loader script. Easy to use UI. Provides nice to have interface for accessing DBA objects if you have DBA privileges. Has easy integration with version control tools such as GIT and SVN.

What do you dislike?

Not so stable and lags if the query is taking a long time to execute. Hangs if query execution is stopped before completion of a time-consuming query. Cannot keep the application window open for a longer time as the application will stop responding and you will have to restart the application.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Free and comes with oracle installation. Has almost all the features which a Developer would need. Not fancy though. If you have a choice, go for Toad or PLSQL Developer.

As I am worked in the Financial Domain, most of the business logic resides in the backend. Creating MIS daily and quarterly reports for a major financial institution is the main business goal for our project. SQL Developer has inbuilt features which help in performance tuning of the application. Provides explain plan window as well other query analyser features which are useful for performance tuning of the queries.

Learning about SQL Developer?

* We monitor all SQL Developer reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.