Square

Square provides small and large businesses the tools they need to run and grow their business. Accept debit and credit cards anywhere with your iPhone, Android, iPad or our POS system.

Work for Square?

Learning about Square?

Square Reviews

Ask Square a Question
Showing 355 Square reviews
Square review by AK C.
AK C.
View Original

"Of all the merchant services, most honest and user-friendly"

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Square
Square review by Xavier P.
Xavier P.

"User friendly tool to sell products at conventions"

What do you like best?

The website and app are first of all very easy to use ; you hardly need any tutorial. Since we go to different conventions during the year to sell our products, I appreciate the fact that the website allows for any price change made to a product to apply to one or several other conventions. On the app, you can easily set up discounts if you want to run a special. I also especially like that Square sends you free of charge the devices to read the credit cards. Reporting is also easy, same as transferring the money on the company bank account. Finally the commission taken on every transaction is decent, provided you swipe the card and don't enter the number manually.

What do you dislike?

The website gets a bit crowded with additional functionalities which we don't use. Also, the internet connection needs to be fairly strong. Several times we've had credit cards transactions declined afterwards since we couldn't get a strong enough signal at the time those transactions were made.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it!

Square enabled us to securely increase our business during shows since a lot of people don't carry cash. We're also able to get sales reports faster and more accurate than in the past, when we were doing it manually. A real time saver which applies to our teams at the conventions when selling the products, the sales department when building reports and analyzing sales, and the accounting department.

What Retail POS solution do you use?

Square review by Kristi B.
Kristi B.

"So many analytical tools!"

What do you like best?

I like the sales breakdowns best. They give the time of each sale which allows me to reference things if needed when a customer has feedback. But I also love that I can coincide with my calendar when we go to repeat locations and see what the big sellers were so I can be prepared.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fact it's not free...just kidding. There really is not much that I dislike at this point. Other POS systems may have lower rates but they also don't have free setup, free equipment and no monthly fees.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Shop around but for small business, this is a fantastic product. I would implement at $5 minimum on cards to make it worth your time to run a card.

Square lets me see my very detailed sales breakdowns so I know what items to prep for our next event. It also allows me to see when peak sales times are at each event.

Square review by Kelsi C.
Kelsi C.

"Take Payments Anywhere"

What do you like best?

I can operate as a fully functioning traveling company now. Not only is the mobile app great for on the go credit card payments, but I can also issues electronic receipts for cash and checks. I have all of my sales now logged into one place.

What do you dislike?

I can't itemize fees for charging to a card. I would like to be able to be completely transparent with my customers about what I'm charging them for, but I don't want to add the convenience fee as an "item" in my shop.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need mobility and efficiency, this is the right company to choose. If you want to be fully paperless while taking any payment method, Square is the best.

I can track all of the revenue I have coming in from all sources. If any of my team takes a payment, I can see when and where. As a traveling company, this is a huge deal. We can now instantly see where our best sales are coming from.

Square review by Kelsi C. F.
Kelsi C. F.

"Easy to manage small transactions for goods when travelling"

What do you like best?

I love that I can always have the option to sell my goods. The app can even be ran offline, which is highly convenient when traveling to areas that do not have the best cell reception. Sometimes I run impromptu events, so when I don't have the ability to say "Bring Cash" beforehand, Square makes it so I don't lose out on sales to my customers.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was a way to show customers the fee that is being charged for using the app. I always explain that's it is a convenience fee, but it would be nice to see that itemized like taxes. Some of my customers write these fees off on their taxes, and it would be nice to not have to generate a separate form.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need peace of mind when wondering if customers will have cash to pay for goods, this is for you. It's the easiest to use processing software for small businesses. If you travel, having an app to manage and pay for goods is essential, and Square makes it possible.

I no longer have to worry if I will be able to take payment from a customer. I can even eliminate costs by providing all electronic receipts, even with cash purchases. Customers can also use these receipts to leave me reviews, which helps the credibility of my business and builds my brand.

Square review by Thomas B.
Thomas B.

"Square makes mobile business competitive with brick-and-mortars"

What do you like best?

The simplicity and efficiency of Square is by far the best on the market today. The handy square reader that fits in your pocket connecting to your cell phone's audio jack is beyond miraculous. The payments transferred to your bank account next day is reliable and wonderful as well as life saving for the nomadic business-person. Square allows festival booths, markets, and crafts-people to compete with the big guys letting them accept credit cards virtually anywhere with more affordable fees than the big banks.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the lack-of-ability that square possesses in automatic credit card acceptance for online transactions or when a customer is not present. It would be an amazing gift if Square could evolve to allowing processing of sales online through shopping carts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Hands down Square is the best solution for accepting credit cards regardless of a brick and mortar, festival booth, or mobile service professional. You won't find more affordable rates and fees anywhere else.

Square lets my business stay nomad and versatile when doing festivals, fairs, and events. There were many a occasion when the sale depended on my ability to process a credit card. Square saved me many sales because of this. The offline feature of Square also made transactions possible when there was no cell or internet signal as well.

Square review by Liz W.
Liz W.

"Square for My Small Business"

What do you like best?

Convenience! Square allows me to accept any type of payment when I'm out in the field, which is crucial to my small business since I am a photographer, and clients usually pay me on-location. There are no monthly fees, which is a deal breaker for me. Also, I no longer have to be connected to Wifi to accept payments.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that if I have to enter a credit card number manually (rather than swiping, because sometimes cards fail to read correctly when swiped), Square will charge me a higher percentage. This is sometimes unavoidable when a credit card, although present, may not be correctly read by the card reader.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you own a business that needs to accept credit cards as a form of payment, Square is the only way to go. The fees are small (although when manually entering a card number, the percentage is slightly higher), the Square reader is small and easy to carry around, and transactions happen quickly and safely.

Before Square, my photography business could only accept cash or checks as forms of payment, which was a huge problem as most people now prefer to pay with credit card. I do not have a storefront, so I am always working on-location. Square is the only answer to this problem. Plus, when clients do occasionally pay with cash, I can send them a receipt using Square for their cash payment.

Square review by Jennifer T.
Jennifer T.

"Square is a great solution for my small business needs!"

What do you like best?

I have been using Square on my phone since I started renting a chair. I love it! It's so easy to use and my clients love that they can pay with a card.

What do you dislike?

When inputting an amount from the keyboard instead of ringing through my item screen, I wish that I could specify what I am ringing up instead of it just being "custom amount."

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it! It's so easy to use, and no monthly fees. Even if you use another system after using Square, you can always have an account open and have it as a back-up.

My clients have the option of getting a receipt texted or e-mailed to them. I don't have to print one out. I love that they charge a flat percentage of each sale. No monthly charges, so if I don't use it I don't pay. That has been a huge help to me as I am growing my business.

Square review by Caylie G.
Caylie G.

"Business Made Manageable "

What do you like best?

I like that I can hook it up to several devices for ultimate convenience. I love that it allows me to reach a whole new market because I'm not restricted to cash. I love how easy it makes it to deal with credit cards and my business! It's got a beautiful design and is very intuitive. I skipped the intro walk-through and still figured everything out quite quickly and easily. I love that I can create my personal collection of products and can even assign pictures to them if I want.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the charge, but I recognize it as a necessary thing in commerce. I dislike that it's sometimes difficult to get the hang of swiping a card and holding my ipad steady to maintain full contact with the card, but that will come with practice. So I don't dislike very many aspects of this incredible product or the app that accompanies it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

USE THIS PRODUCT. It promises ease and helpfulness and it DELIVERS. The app is wonderful and very easy to use. The desktop/website is full of incredible resources to help your business.

I am solving so many business problems with Square! The obvious one is that I can now take card literally wherever I am. That is so unbelievably convenient. I did not expect that it would help me solve the problem of how and what to charge people for my products. Having to go through ahead of time and create those product prices and specials makes every interaction with a customer easy and it gives me confidence.

Square review by James r.
James r.

"Seller experience "

What do you like best?

The square has dramatically changed the way vendors at market do business. This device has now helped to increase not only the sales at outdoor and indoor markets. It has also help customers have a better shopping experience now that they don't have to worry if they brought enough cash to buy the goods they are wanting. People come to the markets for several reasons but ultimately it is a shopping experience. With the square the customer can not only use one of the primary sources for any pilurchase , the debit or credit card, they can also feel secure about there information when using the square. We have used this device for 5 years now with out incident and much success.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the signal can be slow but for the most part it works fantastic.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Real easy to use just set up your bank account, down load the app, set up tax for areas of business and your ready to go.

Uses the square has increased our sales greatly.

Square review by Natalie K.
Natalie K.

"Awesome and convenient"

What do you like best?

Being able to send automated invoices to my customers! Also the square swipe for my phone gives me peace of mind knowing I can ring someone up on the spot and not have to chase them down later with an invoice.

What do you dislike?

I have no complaints. I think scheduling could be a bit quicker when I'm there on the spot, but I'm not 100% sure what that would look like. This morning a client asked me to schedule her the next 3 Saturdays, next Monday, and the following Wednesday. I was scrambling to get it all into my phone without spending 20 minutes getting it all set! It will probably take me some time to get used to scheduling.

Saving time and ensuring that I am able to process payment of any type.

Square review by Dan S.
Dan S.

"The Perfect solution for non-profits and small businesses needing an easy Point of Sale system"

What do you like best?

I like the relative simplicity of Square and its products. The fact that you can get a free card reader (or buy one with a rebate for the value) and deploy the product quickly makes it a simple choice for small businesses or non-profit groups like mine. The option to have an online store using its simple web-based interface is great, too! I don't have to worry about setting up a clunky e-commerce platform on my own website and maintain a separate inventory – I just manage it all on Square.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the online store platform is a bit too simplistic and doesn't allow for the level of customization I'd like to have. The learning curve for some of my colleagues is a bit much. And if you're not running a traditional business model like a storefront, then utilizing Square for your organization's needs can be a bit difficult.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Training is absolutely key to the successful implementation of this product. As with any Point of Sale System, you're going to have to get used to a whole new set of tools and features. I recommend taking some time to explore all of your options. It's really good for basic retail, but if you're a bigger retail business, there are probably other more robust options for your market.

Square helps us solve the need to be able to accept payment types other than cash or cheque. Being able to accept credit, and now Interac with their new contactless terminal, I'm able to provide my customers with options. The freedom I have by using a mobile device as my terminal is also beneficial since my organization doesn't have a physical storefront and we serve our customers on the spot.

Square review by Krista B.
Krista B.

"Square Simple"

What do you like best?

Everything, I like that I can have all my invoices in one place. That my clients can have the ease of paying online with the added security square brings them. You can schedule payments of orders you know are annual.

What do you dislike?

There is really nothing I dislike. I would recommend it to anyone.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It stays organized for you, makes invoicing, reordering, and the end of the year totals a breeze.

We have clients from all over the world being a Military company. With square this allows us to get invoices to them everywhere and have an easy payment solution. This also keeps all the invoicing in one spot which makes reordering and looking up clients so much easier. There is also no guessing at the end of the year what we still have outstanding, it tallies it for you as you go.

Square review by Ryan C.
Ryan C.

"SQUARE | GREAT FOR NEW, SMALL FOOD COMPANIES"

What do you like best?

There are two elements that I most enjoy about Square. First; Square allows a small food business owner like myself to create a full catalogue of products, track inventories and easily accept payments. This is a great alternative to more expensive and limited bank-run merchant solutions. Even beyond the intrinsic benefits, as your business grows, as has mine, I'm able to retain Square as a payment processor and integrate it with other e-commerce solutions (such as Ecwid) and web-hosting solutions (such as Adobe Business Catalyst and Adobe Muse.)

What do you dislike?

I currently find that I use Square for little other than a payment processor, as I've upgraded to using other software solutions for inventory management and cataloging products. That being said, Square is very user friendly and a great start up solution.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Square integrates well with other e-commerce hosting solutions, and can easily be used to it's full potential, or simply as a payment processing solution.

For my business, the main "problem" solved with Square is payment processing, and an alternative to bank-hosted merchant processing.

Square review by Luis H.
Luis H.

"Collecting Payments from clients on site."

What do you like best?

I like that they include a card reader and an app to be able to take payments directly from my phone. They offered competitive rates compared to other companies. (Stripe was the only to offer the same rate). It also makes accountng easy as they keep track of all my sales.

What do you dislike?

There is not much to dislike expect, all the amount of money it takes out adds up fast.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want an easy and cheap way to collect card payments, square will work not only for you, but work with you. Also your customers will be happy to see you accept card and cash!

With Square, I am able to take card payments from my clients after i cut their hair. It make's my job easy, as they will be able to pay directly from the square card reader. It also allows my clients to tip me from the app too!

Square review by Madyson M.
Madyson M.

"Taxi Driver Uses Square"

What do you like best?

I suppose the best thing about square is the convenience of using it. There's nothing like it. Honestly, I also really like how many features it has for business, and look forward to experimenting with them in the future. I like that I can write receipts for cash customers and I like that I can personalize those receipts.

What do you dislike?

My square reader never wants to work. I always have to manually put in cards. It loads very slowly on my phone, which is quite old. And it won't work when I'm using headphones or in a call.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use a newer phone, it can load slowly.

I'm using it to accept credit card payments, but it has a lot of other nifty features. I can send digital receipts to customers paying in cash, for one, which is extremely useful for me. You guys should partner with vista print.

Square review by Krista B.
Krista B.

"Safe and simple transactions. "

What do you like best?

There are many things that I like about Square. It's very versatile. I can invoice customers right from the page, they can click the link and pay right there. Which is wonderful, especially with having a small business. It is so easy to navigate. Everything is kept in one place, I can search someones name and all the invoices they have with our company are right there. You can also bring up just the unpaid invoices if that is all you want to look at. You do not have go through everything one by one to find them. I have Square on my computer, on my phone. Its very useful.

What do you dislike?

I work for a custom apparel company, we send all our clients virtual mock ups of their art/orders. In square I can't really attach those mock ups to the invoice, which would be super helpful to have. Then I could truly pull up everything I need for a client in one software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its truly a time saver. Simple and easy to use for you and your clients.

Keeping our accounting and invoices current. As well as saving time for our staff, by not having to take payment from clients manually.

Square review by Megan L.
Megan L.

"One of the Best, Most Flexible Retail Sales Alternatives"

What do you like best?

Square is a simple, straight-forward and unilaterally outstanding retail sales tool. Uploading and managing products is simple and efficient. Charging, monitoring, and reporting sales is orderly and effective.

What do you dislike?

I first began utilizing square as a mobile retail solution for external sales opportunities (e.g. conventions). It is GREAT for that purpose, but I was somewhat frustrated to learn that inventory quantities cannot be updated/included when adding products to the system utilizing the app, only the desktop site. Therefore, I had to device a mock method utilizing the notes system, before learning in the future that there are just some features that the app doesn't cover.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Square is utilized by our business as an alternative to our standard retail program. The one piece of advice that I would throw out is to be aware of the number of products to be managed for your retail space. Our space -- in total -- has 20,000+ products, and I don't know that the system is yet able to support that load.

Square has been an excellent filler for our usual retail system. On multiple occasions, either when leaving our retail store, or when issues in the store have prevented our primary system from working, Square has come to the rescue to allow us to continue processing transactions and maintaining business as usual.

"Pretty good POS"

What do you like best?

I like the various options with using the tablet and/or iPhone apps for sales. The apps are easy to engage with and adjust to suit your needs. There is a decent amount of reporting in the backend website. It works well with some other inventory management softwares which can be helpful.

What do you dislike?

I don't love that you have to be skilled at using two different interfaces to really get the most out of it. You have to know how to use the apps for interacting with customers and the website for actual reporting or bookkeeping. Some of the reporting on what you sold can be rather confusing and not provide all of the information we want. To use gift cards in square you have to purchase from them and they are outrageously expensive!

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your POS needs are pretty basic it's a great resource. If you have a larger company or need more reporting or lots of features maybe look at some other features. If you want to use gift cards, look elsewhere. They also charge a significant amount for typing in a CC number instead of swiping/inserting, so if you do that a lot look elsewhere. They also charge quite a lot in their CC processing fees, so if price is a big concern, maybe look elsewhere.

It is our primary POS in all of our stores. It's easy for our leadership teams in the stores to use as well as the support and management teams at our corporate headquarters to use as well.

Square review by Andrew D.
Andrew D.

"Simple and powerful!"

What do you like best?

What I love most about square is that they are constantly improving their product and that they have a very user friendly dashboard with pertinent information for the user to use. From sales, to products, to payroll, they have thought about almost everything that you might need to run a small or medium sized business.

What do you dislike?

There are lots of menus because they are always adding features, but that is not really a problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is no doubt that over the years that more payment processing services have arrived, but that doesn't change the fact that Square was one of the earlier businesses to the market and have some of the most sophisticated software.

I did not want to force my customers to always have to pay with cash, so using the square reader was the perfect way to accept payment.

Square review by Olivia T.
Olivia T.

"Square could be perfect."

What do you like best?

I love the fact that I can take payments from practically anyone when using square. It really is a professional service that makes it so much easier for my customers to check their cart on my website. Iv never had any issues with checkouts and they have a wonderful dashboard that allows me to view my sales. I really like that once you set up your checking account then they automatically deposit your money daily; its just one thing i don't have to worry about now. It is very easy to see what fee they take out per sale so you don't get any surprise deductions at the end of the month.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, the only thing i dislike about square is that they are not willing to work with pay-pal. I wish i could have my money deposited into pay-pal for automatic availability. Furthermore they will not allow me to link my pay-pal prepaid checking account or my pay-pal debit card to my account. For someone like me, who only uses a online pay-pal checking account it was kind of annoying to have to go out and open a new checking account to use with square.

I am not able to accommodate to customers that do not use Paypal. I know alot of online shoppers use paypal but now i do not have to miss sales because square allows me to accept credit cards. Honestly in the past few months i have received more square transactions than paypal, this was shocking to me. It made me appreciate squares service even more.

Square review by Amanda H.
Amanda H.

"Taking sales wherever you go"

What do you like best?

I like the portability of the Square software and that it is easy to operate.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fees that are involved in using the software. Whereas there's no physical fee to own the card reader, you will lose a portion of sales that goes toward processing the payment. Even more if you need to manually enter the customer's card information which will cost 3.5% of the sale plus an additional 15 cents. Expect to pay an additional 1% of your gross sales if you wish to have same-day deposits.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you go with the free option and plan on using an apple product to use the application, you will need an adapter since the reader goes in a standard headphone jack, unlike the jack on an iPhone. This makes the free Square reader a little harder to use and may require multiple swipes to obtain the customer's card information. Just reassure them that they will only be charged once. I love that the reader automatically offers the option to send the receipt to their phone or email by taking that information from the card. You don't even need to ask for their number or email, it's already there!

I am solving the issue of my customers not having cash on them. This allows more frequent sales because people are not limited. They are able to use their debit/credit cards to buy my business services and products. This works great for me as I am an independent business owner.

Square review by User in Individual & Family Services
User in Individual & Family Services

"Perfect for sending invoices!"

What do you like best?

I love that I can send a quick and easy invoice for those purchasing from my business. I also like that I can easily personalize it and add all the information that I need. It is really easy to use and it looks professional. Customers can then pay right away and it’s a safe option for them. I also like that I can have it deposited into my account that very same day if I wanted to. It’s also very afforadable with lots of options to earn free processing by referring others. I have loved it and found it very useful.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I don’t like is having to pay for processing fees, but they have to make money so it’s understandable. But like I said above, they still offer plenty of free processing, so I don’t have much complaints.

I have been able to send invoices and receive my payment the same day and that’s awesome! Other company’s take too long.

"Why we use Square!"

What do you like best?

It's a very user-friendly program that can be used by several team-members. Easy set up and you can even add pictures to your products so during a busy sales time you can see what you need to ring up right away. We also enjoy that patrons have the option to leave immediate feedback if they wish.The clean and space- friendly design makes it also a very attractive choice.

What do you dislike?

I wish Square would have the option to create showtime reports. We are a performance venue and when we have two shows in one day we need to create two custom reports, which creates confusion around our staff even after training's sessions. Right now the system only has the automatic daily report function, which is probably more convenient for most businesses models. So this might be a great update for performance venues like ours.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a great program that is user-friendly, easy to navigate, customer- friendly and modern looking. Square is the one!

Square is the perfect choice for our space limited venue. It takes up minimal room and we can still offer all the payment options. It's an easy program to teach other employee's, which was very important to us. As a bonus patrons have the opportunity to give immediate feedback if they wish.

Square review by John H.
John H.

"Untrustworthy with your Funds!"

What do you like best?

Nothing - They act in an arrogent manner.

What do you dislike?

Untrustworthy with your Funds!

We started using Squre a couple of weeks ago and all seemed fine. We had processed about £860 spread over a number of transaction.

This morning I was amazed today to find a notice in my mailbox: "Square are no longer able to support processing your payments. . Starting today, your account with Square is deactivated."

What have we done wrong? You tell me!

There was no prior warning or any messages of concern. We have had no chargebacks and 100% happy clients!

Now they want to hold funds for 90 days! £800+ held that long can put a new business out of business!

Dont trust them to collect your funds! They operate in a shabby way.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Best Avoided!

They could put us out of business!

Square review by Administrator

"Easy to use fairly inexpensive!"

What do you like best?

I like that it’s easy to use and pretty cheap

What do you dislike?

can Get complicated, scanner needs updating

Recommendations to others considering the product

I haven’t used it in the past couple of months, as I have had some major health issues this year. However, I know that a lot of people like to use services such as: PayPal and Venmo (now they have come out with another banking app, too I believe?)... I think that it would be in the best interest of Square to also be able to somehow have a way to accept a payment in connection with those applications as well and then send an invoice directly to the customer, or still be able to utilize creation of all of the SKU data that I have created for products and customer input. I really like having that and having the mailing/email contact list to send out bonus fliers, coupons, special sales and ads. Otherwise, they would lose me and other clients to apps like PayPal, Venmo & such... But the software aspect is what I’m hanging onto!

I wish that it would create some kind of a rewards or points system for valued or repeat/regular customers. (Sort of like a punch card app/software.)

It does allow you to organize inventory and create SKU #s and item #s, but if you already have them... I wish there were an easier way that you could bring them in or copy/paste them from another management software program... maybe it does and I don’t know it.

I can now send invoices right to a client when transaction has happened, immediately. Ability to scan credit cards out in public, with my phone is very nice. Usually inexpensive rates are helpful, too! And pretty simple to understand how to add customer and products to my account. I sell craft products and shoot photography every now and then. It is easy to create invoices for each item, based on the client and product.

Square review by Haley H.
Haley H.

"Once you set it up your smooth sailing"

What do you like best?

I like that anyone can now take credit cards with low fees. Square is great for small businesses and bands who tour. Square also allows my friends to have no excuses when it comes to paying me back for things when they don't have cash. Square's POS systems are easy to program and are very user friendly.

What do you dislike?

Square was very difficult to set up. It took me calling customer service to set up my square. It kept trying to register my bank account and square app would not allow me verify my bank account. This was extremely frustrating. There square came with very specific instructions I should not had to call customer service to get my account all set up. I was under the impression I would be able to do the set up myself with no help!

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend square for every business big or small. They are so easy to use and help you manage your business everyday!

Square allows my business to take credit/debit cards without the high fees. Square allows my business to manage my employees and their schedules. I have realized being able to manage all of my businesses needs in one place is very convenient and time efficient.

Square review by User in Financial Services

"Good option for small business "

What do you like best?

I really like the plug in that square sends for your phone so you can accept payments on the go without carrying bulky machine that needs an outlet to work. Fees are also not that high comparing to other similar products. Convenience and affordability

What do you dislike?

The one thing that’s not so great is it isn’t as secure as other payment processing as it stores the customers information on your phone. In case someone gets a hold of or hacks your phone their info isn’t at jeopardy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want ease of use and a pretty reasonable and convenient way to accept payments on the go, square is a good option. Just be careful with the security aspect of it.

I can take payments for my photography AT my sessions if they choose to use a card instead of check or cash. It makes sure that you are protected by taking the money right then instead of checks which may come back. I take this with me to avoid clients forgetting payments and having to carry cash or Checks with them when coming to meet. One less thing for them to worry about because most everyone has a card on them at all times.

Square review by Sabrina R.
Sabrina R.

"Simple and efficient credit card processing with square."

What do you like best?

Square is super easy to use and makes processing credit cards fast. Chip reader is super fast, not slow like most big older style machines. I love receiving the daily reports of what our deposit use and square reports make accounting purposes so much easier! Square's customer support team is always so helpful. We have a customer dispute a transaction a while back and square was on top of the entire situation and helped us through every step of the way.

What do you dislike?

I would like to see square compatible with other tablets such as the microsoft surface or an online interface to process cards. I have been given cheaper prices as far as processor precentages, but I always just fall back on using our square.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a simple credit card processor square is the one to use. They are always updating and adding other cool features as well.

Square is simple to use and makes credit card processing efficient. It's nice to have a processor with the option to directly deposit to you bank although it does not work with our particular bank.

Square review by User

"Fastest Payment Software For Anyone"

What do you like best?

I love the speed of cleared transactions. The fact that you can get paid instantly is also a huge factor. If you are a business that is just starting out and want to accept credit card payments. It's the easiest place to see your sales and it's super transparent.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the actual cost of the processing service. It's on the higher end but with this type of software, you are paying for premium convenience and ease of use. It all ties into the price.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Square continues to change the way you look at credit card processing. It's completely transparent with the numbers and directly after a card entry, you immediately see those sales onto your dashboard which always shows what your daily sales are. I love the reports feature and the forecast for repeat customers .It honestly even tells you what your highest sales day of the week is.

Solved credit card processing and customer sales by credit card. Also helped with sales accounting reports and sales numbers.

Square review by Dennis T.
Dennis T.

"Helped our small business succeed"

What do you like best?

The portability of the device, but to add even more to it, the ability to convert to online ordering and have them run our e-commerce as well.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, I do not think there is anything we didn't like. Even the fees charged are acceptable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you do not have a POS system for your small retail business or farmers market stall, this is an amazing device to use and help you become strategic and allow more.

We wanted to take our small chocolate business to the next level, above Etsy and people paying cash. Etsy was to costly, and at times, we had to front the product when people ordered locally and now, payments can be collected prior to every custom order and allows us to function smoothly.

Square review by User in Religious Institutions
User in Religious Institutions

"Square great tool for small businesses "

What do you like best?

There are two things I like best, the user friendly interface of the software. I have volunteers who all use this program to run our cafe. People ages 15 - 75 use it and are comfortable using it, and it didn't take much training at all. I also love the feature to pull reports from any time frame or time period. This helps so much with my sales goals, and saves me so much time. There are also ways for customers to interact with your business, via the ability to text receipts, so you get customer feedback and reviews.

What do you dislike?

The only trouble I've had is with the square card reader and the chip reader. Sometimes they can be fickle if there is bad internet connection and can cause some frustration.

You can sell from virtually anywhere, so small businesses or people can sell from different locations. This is really helpful for farmer's markets, pop up shops, small business markets, etc that don't want to just take cash only.

Also what Square keeps track of is so helpful, from repeating or new customer stats to what items sold best three years ago.

Square review by User in Retail
User in Retail

"Easy to use!"

What do you like best?

I LOVE the portability of Square the most

What do you dislike?

Wish they did not charge more for keyed in transactions

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you try different readers, what works for one might not be the best for you. Also, make sure you test the features BEFORE you go live so that you know exactly how to use them. Nothing like thinking you know how to use it and then having to apologize to a client when something takes longer than it should.

I am an artist who specializes in textiles and wearable art so its not unusual for someone to see something I am wearing and fall in love with it. That means I never know where my next sale will come from so I always have to be ready. Square lets me do just that by offering me the portability I need in a size that is manageable! I can easily carry my square reader in my purse wherever I go so I never miss a sale but if for some reason I don't have it with me, I can log in and key in the sale by hand. Problem solved.

Square review by Stephanie B.
Stephanie B.

"Easy for All!"

What do you like best?

So many people don't carry cash around, and I don't have to lose out on sales, because I can accept cards! Square has kept me afloat. It's convenient, and very easy for my customers and me to use.

What do you dislike?

Having to pay a portion of what I make to Square isn't fun, but I understand that they have to make a living too.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The cost of using Square is worth it. I know from experience the frustration of not having cash when I need it. The app is very easy to use. I'm able to log the products and select them at checkout. It even sends me a progress report via email at the end of the day.

I don't have to turn down customers because they don't have cash.

Square review by Danielle A. P.
Danielle A. P.

"Square is a wonderful software tool for businesses! "

What do you like best?

I absolutely love Square for my small business. I use it for e-commerce, and when I do trade and vendor shows. I have grown to learn and love the back end and I make changes constantly (pretty much every day) to my products or modifiers used for them. I highly recommend using Square's software if you are not a web developer, but you own small business and want to manage your own site without the hassle of code. It is also very affordable, and great to manage your inventory, employees, profitability and more all in one program.

What do you dislike?

I don't necessarily dislike anything about Square except that I am not too fond of the cash sale availabilities in the back end. I often have cash sales and I would be able to better manage inventory and profits with something to use specifically for the cash portion (for non-brick & mortar businesses).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take advantage of the e-commerce portion of the software! It's wonderful.

I have a beautiful e-commerce website. I am managing inventory on my own. I am seeing the analytics behind which products are most profitable and which customers are most loyal. I love Square so much, who knows where my business would be without it.

Square review by Ice X.
Ice X.

"Whatever payment method you can think of!"

What do you like best?

Extremely easy to set up, and it does not necessarily require you to have the dongle in order to work. You can technically accept CC payment over the phone.

What do you dislike?

The dongle is extremely small and it's easy to lose it. That you'd need to wait a few days before Square ships their dongle to you. It does NOT work with the latest iPhone (not Square's fault but still).

Recommendations to others considering the product

We see Square as a solution if you don't plan on accepting credit card all the time, because their transaction fee can indeed cut a chunk out of your profit margin. Use Square so that your customer won't turn to your competitors for not accepting cards, but still tell people that you'd rather accept cash or cheque or whatever that you were accepting to begin with.

Event Credit card payment acceptance.It solves the occasional hassle that the customer just doesn't have cash and the only thing we can do is to tell him or her where the closest ATM machines are.

Square review by Genevieve B.
Genevieve B.

"Square POS - Great for any company"

What do you like best?

The straight-forward set-up of the application. Square is the easiest Point of Sale system I've ever used. The design makes everything very simple and easy to figure out for novices. We use Square for purchases and also to keep track of our inventory, so we value the program greatly.

What do you dislike?

The price that comes with adjusting certain add-ons. We looked into granting all of our employees extra codes to log into the application and found that it costs extra money. We were definitely disappointed there wasn't an option to have more than one code to log in. We would love to keep better track of purchases through employees to better the counting process of our cash drawer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend Square to any business looking for an easy POS system to use. Especially if you're limited on space or your business travels to other locations and needs an easy method of payment to bring along.

We like using Square to keep track of our gift shop inventory and love the ease of use when doing so. we realized that using Square was far more productive for our employees and keeping track of the store's inventory.

Square review by Kanako T.
Kanako T.

"Easy to set up for certain type of business, but not mine"

What do you like best?

It's easy to use for the credit card transaction. The transaction interface is simple so that the enablement process within the organization was smooth.

It's easy to add items and change the items shown on the dashboard too. It would be better if we can get different level of access (such as admin login and cashier login) so that the entire data is not available to whoever has the login info.

What do you dislike?

The Point Of System doesn't allow us to enter the quantity with decimal point. This is a huge issue for my business that sells items by weight. The issue has been identified on the inventory alert.

It would be better if we can upload an image for each item as a bulk transaction. Also, it would be great if we can customize the fields on each item for inventory management. We'd like to have a field for the supplier info, and we'd not like to add it into description field as it'd not be easy to conduct analysis later.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We didn't evaluate other software closely, but with my own research, this software seems the best. I wish this database is structured more flexible way. Having said that, it's very easy to set up and the switching cost is fairly low.

We've been using an old-fashioned register and a credit card transaction device. Our goal when looking at Square and its competitor products was the tool to track inventory and sales data while keeping the credit card fee low. We are in the process of setting up the point of system side.

Square review by User in Photography
User in Photography

"Square is awesome for small businesses!"

What do you like best?

Low transaction fees. I can do everything very easily online and sell products online. Convenience, plug in the card reader to mobile devices - very portable.

What do you dislike?

Honestly there isn't much I dislike. I'm a small business and I've been using it for awhile and it's great. The one thing I wish they would do is make the items and the selling process a little more flexible for businesses that are mostly online and don't have an actual retail location. And when you make a sale online you have to go into your account and click "complete" within a certain time limit to process the order and have the money transferred to your account which then sends an "order complete" email to your customer. Many times I would like the money transferred right away or I don't want to forget so I complete the transaction right away, but the order isn't actually done/ready yet. I've also forgotten a couple times to go in and complete the order and then the sale is cancelled and the money refunded, which is very annoying. This may be updated/fixed by now - I'm not sure. It's a minor thing, but is inconvenient and seems unnecessary to me.

The low transaction fees are really helpful for a small business. And the first card reader was free. When they upgraded to include chip cards the new readers were extremely affordable. It's really helpful to sell things in an online store as well.

Square review by Taura H.
Taura H.

"A must have for small businesses or artisans and artists that do pop up shops."

What do you like best?

It is incredibly easy to use. The new debit tap function is amazing and has opened the door to more customers who don't use credit or carry cash. They are very quick about sending you your funds.

What do you dislike?

Creating and pricing items is a little confusing. There is no easy/fast way to clear all items from the shopping cart, it's a 3 click process which doesn't seem like much but it's a pain when you have a line of customers to serve. I would like to see an option to start over on the main items screen. I would like to see swipe debit added soon.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely recommend investing in the tap hardware, it's worth the money. The tap functionality removes the need for the tiny swipe device to be attached to your phone and it's lightning fast.

It allows me to do business anywhere and the tap debit has allowed for more business.

Square review by Rachel R.
Rachel R.

"Easy PayDay!"

What do you like best?

I enjoy using Square to send my customers invoices for their items they buy from my business.

I get the money deposited into my bank account in just 1 business day which is great!

My customers also love it because they can pay their invoice in the privacy of their own home.

What do you dislike?

There are little tweeks I wish I could make to my invoice template, such as keeping the same title, or always setting the due date to a certain time frame, but other than that, I am happy with this program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Square is not only fantastic for sending invoices, but they also send you a reader you can use on the go for orders at fairs, or events. Square also allows its users to create a free online store, with a webpage, so you can easily send a link to customers about items in your inventory!

I am solving the hassle of having to ask for personal information from my customers and allowing them to safely, and privately pay for their order at home.

Square review by Chantelle R.
Chantelle R.

"I love Square!"

What do you like best?

Square has been one of my favorites because it was the first mobile credit card processing option for my business. The bank deposit has always been easy but now they offer instant deposit which makes it even more easier.

What do you dislike?

I used to dislike having to wait until the next business day to receive my funds but now they offer the instant deposit so that is a plus for me.

Square and its credit card reader is super convenient so that we can accept payments anywhere. When we are doing trade shows and offer a products for sale, I can easily swipe my customer's credit card instead of waiting for the sale. I have also set up an online store for easier checkouts while I sleep.

Square review by Candace J.
Candace J.

"Square for Non-profits"

What do you like best?

Square makes it easy for us to take donations no matter where we are - in business meetings, at lunch meetings, at formal and informal events alike. It's easy to keep a square with you at all times so you're ready to take the donation anywhere, anytime.

What do you dislike?

I've been interested in getting the chip reader, but I've heard that it doesn't function very well. I'm sticking with the traditional card swipe until the bugs seem to be worked out.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep a couple square readers with you at all times, that way you have a backup in case one of them gets glitchy. Doesn't happen often but you'll be glad you have it in case something like that does occur. Remember that you can also always manually enter a credit card number if the swipe function seems to be failing, too.

Cash donations are rare these days. Having a square allows donation mobility, no matter where I go.

Square review by James L.
James L.

"Excellent Entry Level Solution"

What do you like best?

Square comes loaded with just about everything a small business would need. POS, Inventory Control, Invoicing, Appointment Scheduling, Cash Management, Payroll/Time Clocks, and Online Ordering. It's loaded with TONS of bells and whistles for minimal entry cost.

What do you dislike?

There are only two things that drive me crazy. 1) All the functionality means most things cover just about what everyone needs except a few small things here and there. Getting support for upgrading those functions can be extremely slow and painful. Out of the box solutions specific to your industry likely have EVERYTHING you're looking for but you're going to pay an arm, leg, first born child, etc.. So its usually a suck it up buttercup scenario. 2) They're focused on mostly single location business'. Trying to use Square in a franchise with multiple owners, simply doesn't work under current set-up. Gift cards can't be used in other locations unless its on a shared account which screws up the tax reporting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't run from the x% fees thinking. Look at the bigger picture of what a POS implementation brings. Investigate the alternatives and be sure you understand what they're asking. Most have subscription model, project the differences in cost based on your sales and see if that makes sense.

The customer I help wanted to make a switch from old fashion Casio cash register and terminal based credit card processing. It was slow, clunky, and costly. They were looking for the automation a POS provides but as a SBO, couldn't afford a full scale traditional POS implementation. Square was able to tackle 90-95% of what they were looking for with no increased cost.

For my own business, it has been perfect. Does everything I need and then some.

Square review by Jenn Z.
Jenn Z.

"Square makes eCommerce enjoyable!"

What do you like best?

Square has a very quick turnaround time for deposits and makes it easy for my customers to pay me. That, in turn, means I actually get paid on time more often! The absolute best thing about Square, though, in my opinion, is that you can earn free processing. Whenever you refer a new customer to Square (a customer who will be processing payments, that is), you can process $1000 of sales for free. They refund your processing fees back to each transaction whenever you have referral credit available. No hoops to jump through, and the person you referred ALSO gets $1000 of free processing! Serious win-win right there. I highly recommend Square for payment processing.

What do you dislike?

They're aimed at in-person transactions. I currently do most of my sales online, so the processing fees for invoicing are slightly higher than in-person swiped/dipped transactions (2.9% + $0.30 versus 2.75%, at the time of this review). It's not enough to make a huge difference for a small business, but it does add up over time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just go for it! I haven't looked back since switching to Square. They make it so easy to use.

Faster payment processing, ease of use for my customers AND myself, and free processing when I refer other merchants and service providers to Square.

Square review by Nikki M.
Nikki M.

"Safe and effective"

What do you like best?

The product is easy to use, with any smartphone or tablet. It is also widely used, so people are comfortable with it.

What do you dislike?

Not much to dislike. It does what it needs to do.

Recommendations to others considering the product

While you can use any smart phone, I recommend getting a dedicated device for the purpose of using square. It is very convenient, especially for small and newly growing businesses. We primarily used it for farmers market settings. It does have the ability to type in card numbers, in case swiping does not work or for payments over the phone. I am not sure how they are handling the new chipped cards. It might be an interim solution, and not long term or for when you company grows much larger. I'd switch to a more traditional card charging system. Definitely quicker than the old school machines.

Providing ability for customers to pay with card in places where cash may have been the only option in the past. Often times, customers are more likely to buy more product because they have the ability to use card.

Square review by Beth A.
Beth A.

"LOVE SQUARE"

What do you like best?

I love the ability to take self-pay payments instantaneously in any clinical setting.

What do you dislike?

There is no ability to enter notes for custom amounts entered. Also - very dependent on having good WiFi or LTE coverage which can be variable in medical setting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think that Square is a great, convenient and professional way to collect payment. With medical equipment, many times cash collected at time of service is the only type of payment for product we receive, making this a very important application for us to use.

We used to use Shopify which was such a challenge as it took forever to enter all CC information. The card slider is fantastic, and also allows us to track cash and check payments.

Square review by Administrator in Graphic Design
Administrator in Graphic Design

"Easy to use interface, mostly used for sending invoices for small business"

What do you like best?

Love that I can send invoices easily and that most customers are familiar with the Square name.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that the fee is greater for sending invoices than it is for swiping cards. I also don't like how it costs us more for a customer to keep their card on file.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Square charges you more fees if customers want to save their card for future use. Also it charges more for sending invoices than for in person swipes.

Most of my clients pay by check, which is great for me so that I can avoid fees. But when people don't have checkbooks, which happens more and more, then they can easily pay via Square Invoices or in person with a Square Reader. I guess the other problem that this app solves is that people can spend money they don't really have by using credit cards rather than paying by check or cash.

Square review by Kalina S.
Kalina S.

"Convienient when on the go"

What do you like best?

I like square for when I am doing an in person sale that will not be shipped so there is less tracking available for disputes

What do you dislike?

When i first started with Square I had a hard time setting it up, but after awhile it became pretty easy

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get the card reader that is chip enabled

I am able to take payments from my customers on the go and swipe their credit cards from my phone. I realized by swiping their credit card, i pay a lower fee as well as am more protected against fraud and charge backs.

Square review by Kristen S.
Kristen S.

"Easy for You, Easy for Customers"

What do you like best?

I really enjoy using Square! It's a super easy way to pay and receive payment. The app is very easy to figure out and the design is very clean and pleasant to look at. Customers can send themselves receipts, sign and tip you!

What do you dislike?

Sometimes, the reader struggles to read the the card the first couple of times you try it. Punching in the number does take a while, but for the most part it's very easy to use, and now they have another device that makes it easier to swipe with if you struggle to use the reader.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend Square! It is useful to small businesses and well and non-profits and other organizations.

Taking payment quickly and from most people is great! Most people prefer paying with a card and most non profits do not carry around a credit card device. It's light and several employees can use the account at the same time!

Learn more about Square

Square Videos

Learning about Square?

* We monitor all Square reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.