Square

Square

Square provides small and large businesses the tools they need to run and grow their business. Accept debit and credit cards anywhere with your iPhone, Android, iPad or our POS system.

Work for Square?

Learning about Square?

Square Reviews

Ask Square a Question
Showing 324 Square reviews
Square review by Amanda H.
Amanda H.

"Taking sales wherever you go"

What do you like best?

I like the portability of the Square software and that it is easy to operate.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fees that are involved in using the software. Whereas there's no physical fee to own the card reader, you will lose a portion of sales that goes toward processing the payment. Even more if you need to manually enter the customer's card information which will cost 3.5% of the sale plus an additional 15 cents. Expect to pay an additional 1% of your gross sales if you wish to have same-day deposits.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you go with the free option and plan on using an apple product to use the application, you will need an adapter since the reader goes in a standard headphone jack, unlike the jack on an iPhone. This makes the free Square reader a little harder to use and may require multiple swipes to obtain the customer's card information. Just reassure them that they will only be charged once. I love that the reader automatically offers the option to send the receipt to their phone or email by taking that information from the card. You don't even need to ask for their number or email, it's already there!

I am solving the issue of my customers not having cash on them. This allows more frequent sales because people are not limited. They are able to use their debit/credit cards to buy my business services and products. This works great for me as I am an independent business owner.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Square
Square review by Kristi B.
Kristi B.

"So many analytical tools!"

What do you like best?

I like the sales breakdowns best. They give the time of each sale which allows me to reference things if needed when a customer has feedback. But I also love that I can coincide with my calendar when we go to repeat locations and see what the big sellers were so I can be prepared.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fact it's not free...just kidding. There really is not much that I dislike at this point. Other POS systems may have lower rates but they also don't have free setup, free equipment and no monthly fees.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Shop around but for small business, this is a fantastic product. I would implement at $5 minimum on cards to make it worth your time to run a card.

Square lets me see my very detailed sales breakdowns so I know what items to prep for our next event. It also allows me to see when peak sales times are at each event.

What Retail POS solution do you use?

Square review by Kelsi C.
Kelsi C.

"Take Payments Anywhere"

What do you like best?

I can operate as a fully functioning traveling company now. Not only is the mobile app great for on the go credit card payments, but I can also issues electronic receipts for cash and checks. I have all of my sales now logged into one place.

What do you dislike?

I can't itemize fees for charging to a card. I would like to be able to be completely transparent with my customers about what I'm charging them for, but I don't want to add the convenience fee as an "item" in my shop.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need mobility and efficiency, this is the right company to choose. If you want to be fully paperless while taking any payment method, Square is the best.

I can track all of the revenue I have coming in from all sources. If any of my team takes a payment, I can see when and where. As a traveling company, this is a huge deal. We can now instantly see where our best sales are coming from.

Square review by Kelsi C. F.
Kelsi C. F.

"Easy to manage small transactions for goods when travelling"

What do you like best?

I love that I can always have the option to sell my goods. The app can even be ran offline, which is highly convenient when traveling to areas that do not have the best cell reception. Sometimes I run impromptu events, so when I don't have the ability to say "Bring Cash" beforehand, Square makes it so I don't lose out on sales to my customers.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was a way to show customers the fee that is being charged for using the app. I always explain that's it is a convenience fee, but it would be nice to see that itemized like taxes. Some of my customers write these fees off on their taxes, and it would be nice to not have to generate a separate form.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need peace of mind when wondering if customers will have cash to pay for goods, this is for you. It's the easiest to use processing software for small businesses. If you travel, having an app to manage and pay for goods is essential, and Square makes it possible.

I no longer have to worry if I will be able to take payment from a customer. I can even eliminate costs by providing all electronic receipts, even with cash purchases. Customers can also use these receipts to leave me reviews, which helps the credibility of my business and builds my brand.

Square review by Liz W.
Liz W.

"Square for My Small Business"

What do you like best?

Convenience! Square allows me to accept any type of payment when I'm out in the field, which is crucial to my small business since I am a photographer, and clients usually pay me on-location. There are no monthly fees, which is a deal breaker for me. Also, I no longer have to be connected to Wifi to accept payments.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that if I have to enter a credit card number manually (rather than swiping, because sometimes cards fail to read correctly when swiped), Square will charge me a higher percentage. This is sometimes unavoidable when a credit card, although present, may not be correctly read by the card reader.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you own a business that needs to accept credit cards as a form of payment, Square is the only way to go. The fees are small (although when manually entering a card number, the percentage is slightly higher), the Square reader is small and easy to carry around, and transactions happen quickly and safely.

Before Square, my photography business could only accept cash or checks as forms of payment, which was a huge problem as most people now prefer to pay with credit card. I do not have a storefront, so I am always working on-location. Square is the only answer to this problem. Plus, when clients do occasionally pay with cash, I can send them a receipt using Square for their cash payment.

Square review by Jennifer T.
Jennifer T.

"Square is a great solution for my small business needs!"

What do you like best?

I have been using Square on my phone since I started renting a chair. I love it! It's so easy to use and my clients love that they can pay with a card.

What do you dislike?

When inputting an amount from the keyboard instead of ringing through my item screen, I wish that I could specify what I am ringing up instead of it just being "custom amount."

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it! It's so easy to use, and no monthly fees. Even if you use another system after using Square, you can always have an account open and have it as a back-up.

My clients have the option of getting a receipt texted or e-mailed to them. I don't have to print one out. I love that they charge a flat percentage of each sale. No monthly charges, so if I don't use it I don't pay. That has been a huge help to me as I am growing my business.

Square review by Caylie G.
Caylie G.

"Business Made Manageable "

What do you like best?

I like that I can hook it up to several devices for ultimate convenience. I love that it allows me to reach a whole new market because I'm not restricted to cash. I love how easy it makes it to deal with credit cards and my business! It's got a beautiful design and is very intuitive. I skipped the intro walk-through and still figured everything out quite quickly and easily. I love that I can create my personal collection of products and can even assign pictures to them if I want.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the charge, but I recognize it as a necessary thing in commerce. I dislike that it's sometimes difficult to get the hang of swiping a card and holding my ipad steady to maintain full contact with the card, but that will come with practice. So I don't dislike very many aspects of this incredible product or the app that accompanies it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

USE THIS PRODUCT. It promises ease and helpfulness and it DELIVERS. The app is wonderful and very easy to use. The desktop/website is full of incredible resources to help your business.

I am solving so many business problems with Square! The obvious one is that I can now take card literally wherever I am. That is so unbelievably convenient. I did not expect that it would help me solve the problem of how and what to charge people for my products. Having to go through ahead of time and create those product prices and specials makes every interaction with a customer easy and it gives me confidence.

Square review by James r.
James r.

"Seller experience "

What do you like best?

The square has dramatically changed the way vendors at market do business. This device has now helped to increase not only the sales at outdoor and indoor markets. It has also help customers have a better shopping experience now that they don't have to worry if they brought enough cash to buy the goods they are wanting. People come to the markets for several reasons but ultimately it is a shopping experience. With the square the customer can not only use one of the primary sources for any pilurchase , the debit or credit card, they can also feel secure about there information when using the square. We have used this device for 5 years now with out incident and much success.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the signal can be slow but for the most part it works fantastic.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Real easy to use just set up your bank account, down load the app, set up tax for areas of business and your ready to go.

Uses the square has increased our sales greatly.

Square review by Natalie K.
Natalie K.

"Awesome and convenient"

What do you like best?

Being able to send automated invoices to my customers! Also the square swipe for my phone gives me peace of mind knowing I can ring someone up on the spot and not have to chase them down later with an invoice.

What do you dislike?

I have no complaints. I think scheduling could be a bit quicker when I'm there on the spot, but I'm not 100% sure what that would look like. This morning a client asked me to schedule her the next 3 Saturdays, next Monday, and the following Wednesday. I was scrambling to get it all into my phone without spending 20 minutes getting it all set! It will probably take me some time to get used to scheduling.

Saving time and ensuring that I am able to process payment of any type.

Square review by Dan S.
Dan S.

"The Perfect solution for non-profits and small businesses needing an easy Point of Sale system"

What do you like best?

I like the relative simplicity of Square and its products. The fact that you can get a free card reader (or buy one with a rebate for the value) and deploy the product quickly makes it a simple choice for small businesses or non-profit groups like mine. The option to have an online store using its simple web-based interface is great, too! I don't have to worry about setting up a clunky e-commerce platform on my own website and maintain a separate inventory – I just manage it all on Square.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the online store platform is a bit too simplistic and doesn't allow for the level of customization I'd like to have. The learning curve for some of my colleagues is a bit much. And if you're not running a traditional business model like a storefront, then utilizing Square for your organization's needs can be a bit difficult.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Training is absolutely key to the successful implementation of this product. As with any Point of Sale System, you're going to have to get used to a whole new set of tools and features. I recommend taking some time to explore all of your options. It's really good for basic retail, but if you're a bigger retail business, there are probably other more robust options for your market.

Square helps us solve the need to be able to accept payment types other than cash or cheque. Being able to accept credit, and now Interac with their new contactless terminal, I'm able to provide my customers with options. The freedom I have by using a mobile device as my terminal is also beneficial since my organization doesn't have a physical storefront and we serve our customers on the spot.

Square review by Krista B.
Krista B.

"Square Simple"

What do you like best?

Everything, I like that I can have all my invoices in one place. That my clients can have the ease of paying online with the added security square brings them. You can schedule payments of orders you know are annual.

What do you dislike?

There is really nothing I dislike. I would recommend it to anyone.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It stays organized for you, makes invoicing, reordering, and the end of the year totals a breeze.

We have clients from all over the world being a Military company. With square this allows us to get invoices to them everywhere and have an easy payment solution. This also keeps all the invoicing in one spot which makes reordering and looking up clients so much easier. There is also no guessing at the end of the year what we still have outstanding, it tallies it for you as you go.

Square review by Ryan C.
Ryan C.

"SQUARE | GREAT FOR NEW, SMALL FOOD COMPANIES"

What do you like best?

There are two elements that I most enjoy about Square. First; Square allows a small food business owner like myself to create a full catalogue of products, track inventories and easily accept payments. This is a great alternative to more expensive and limited bank-run merchant solutions. Even beyond the intrinsic benefits, as your business grows, as has mine, I'm able to retain Square as a payment processor and integrate it with other e-commerce solutions (such as Ecwid) and web-hosting solutions (such as Adobe Business Catalyst and Adobe Muse.)

What do you dislike?

I currently find that I use Square for little other than a payment processor, as I've upgraded to using other software solutions for inventory management and cataloging products. That being said, Square is very user friendly and a great start up solution.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Square integrates well with other e-commerce hosting solutions, and can easily be used to it's full potential, or simply as a payment processing solution.

For my business, the main "problem" solved with Square is payment processing, and an alternative to bank-hosted merchant processing.

Square review by Madyson M.
Madyson M.

"Taxi Driver Uses Square"

What do you like best?

I suppose the best thing about square is the convenience of using it. There's nothing like it. Honestly, I also really like how many features it has for business, and look forward to experimenting with them in the future. I like that I can write receipts for cash customers and I like that I can personalize those receipts.

What do you dislike?

My square reader never wants to work. I always have to manually put in cards. It loads very slowly on my phone, which is quite old. And it won't work when I'm using headphones or in a call.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use a newer phone, it can load slowly.

I'm using it to accept credit card payments, but it has a lot of other nifty features. I can send digital receipts to customers paying in cash, for one, which is extremely useful for me. You guys should partner with vista print.

Square review by Megan L.
Megan L.

"One of the Best, Most Flexible Retail Sales Alternatives"

What do you like best?

Square is a simple, straight-forward and unilaterally outstanding retail sales tool. Uploading and managing products is simple and efficient. Charging, monitoring, and reporting sales is orderly and effective.

What do you dislike?

I first began utilizing square as a mobile retail solution for external sales opportunities (e.g. conventions). It is GREAT for that purpose, but I was somewhat frustrated to learn that inventory quantities cannot be updated/included when adding products to the system utilizing the app, only the desktop site. Therefore, I had to device a mock method utilizing the notes system, before learning in the future that there are just some features that the app doesn't cover.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Square is utilized by our business as an alternative to our standard retail program. The one piece of advice that I would throw out is to be aware of the number of products to be managed for your retail space. Our space -- in total -- has 20,000+ products, and I don't know that the system is yet able to support that load.

Square has been an excellent filler for our usual retail system. On multiple occasions, either when leaving our retail store, or when issues in the store have prevented our primary system from working, Square has come to the rescue to allow us to continue processing transactions and maintaining business as usual.

Square review by Andrew D.
Andrew D.

"Simple and powerful!"

What do you like best?

What I love most about square is that they are constantly improving their product and that they have a very user friendly dashboard with pertinent information for the user to use. From sales, to products, to payroll, they have thought about almost everything that you might need to run a small or medium sized business.

What do you dislike?

There are lots of menus because they are always adding features, but that is not really a problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is no doubt that over the years that more payment processing services have arrived, but that doesn't change the fact that Square was one of the earlier businesses to the market and have some of the most sophisticated software.

I did not want to force my customers to always have to pay with cash, so using the square reader was the perfect way to accept payment.

Square review by Olivia T.
Olivia T.

"Square could be perfect."

What do you like best?

I love the fact that I can take payments from practically anyone when using square. It really is a professional service that makes it so much easier for my customers to check their cart on my website. Iv never had any issues with checkouts and they have a wonderful dashboard that allows me to view my sales. I really like that once you set up your checking account then they automatically deposit your money daily; its just one thing i don't have to worry about now. It is very easy to see what fee they take out per sale so you don't get any surprise deductions at the end of the month.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, the only thing i dislike about square is that they are not willing to work with pay-pal. I wish i could have my money deposited into pay-pal for automatic availability. Furthermore they will not allow me to link my pay-pal prepaid checking account or my pay-pal debit card to my account. For someone like me, who only uses a online pay-pal checking account it was kind of annoying to have to go out and open a new checking account to use with square.

I am not able to accommodate to customers that do not use Paypal. I know alot of online shoppers use paypal but now i do not have to miss sales because square allows me to accept credit cards. Honestly in the past few months i have received more square transactions than paypal, this was shocking to me. It made me appreciate squares service even more.

Square review by User in Individual & Family Services
User in Individual & Family Services

"Perfect for sending invoices!"

What do you like best?

I love that I can send a quick and easy invoice for those purchasing from my business. I also like that I can easily personalize it and add all the information that I need. It is really easy to use and it looks professional. Customers can then pay right away and it’s a safe option for them. I also like that I can have it deposited into my account that very same day if I wanted to. It’s also very afforadable with lots of options to earn free processing by referring others. I have loved it and found it very useful.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I don’t like is having to pay for processing fees, but they have to make money so it’s understandable. But like I said above, they still offer plenty of free processing, so I don’t have much complaints.

I have been able to send invoices and receive my payment the same day and that’s awesome! Other company’s take too long.

"Why we use Square!"

What do you like best?

It's a very user-friendly program that can be used by several team-members. Easy set up and you can even add pictures to your products so during a busy sales time you can see what you need to ring up right away. We also enjoy that patrons have the option to leave immediate feedback if they wish.The clean and space- friendly design makes it also a very attractive choice.

What do you dislike?

I wish Square would have the option to create showtime reports. We are a performance venue and when we have two shows in one day we need to create two custom reports, which creates confusion around our staff even after training's sessions. Right now the system only has the automatic daily report function, which is probably more convenient for most businesses models. So this might be a great update for performance venues like ours.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a great program that is user-friendly, easy to navigate, customer- friendly and modern looking. Square is the one!

Square is the perfect choice for our space limited venue. It takes up minimal room and we can still offer all the payment options. It's an easy program to teach other employee's, which was very important to us. As a bonus patrons have the opportunity to give immediate feedback if they wish.

Square review by Administrator

"Easy to use fairly inexpensive!"

What do you like best?

I like that it’s easy to use and pretty cheap

What do you dislike?

can Get complicated, scanner needs updating

Recommendations to others considering the product

I haven’t used it in the past couple of months, as I have had some major health issues this year. However, I know that a lot of people like to use services such as: PayPal and Venmo (now they have come out with another banking app, too I believe?)... I think that it would be in the best interest of Square to also be able to somehow have a way to accept a payment in connection with those applications as well and then send an invoice directly to the customer, or still be able to utilize creation of all of the SKU data that I have created for products and customer input. I really like having that and having the mailing/email contact list to send out bonus fliers, coupons, special sales and ads. Otherwise, they would lose me and other clients to apps like PayPal, Venmo & such... But the software aspect is what I’m hanging onto!

I wish that it would create some kind of a rewards or points system for valued or repeat/regular customers. (Sort of like a punch card app/software.)

It does allow you to organize inventory and create SKU #s and item #s, but if you already have them... I wish there were an easier way that you could bring them in or copy/paste them from another management software program... maybe it does and I don’t know it.

I can now send invoices right to a client when transaction has happened, immediately. Ability to scan credit cards out in public, with my phone is very nice. Usually inexpensive rates are helpful, too! And pretty simple to understand how to add customer and products to my account. I sell craft products and shoot photography every now and then. It is easy to create invoices for each item, based on the client and product.

Square review by Haley H.
Haley H.

"Once you set it up your smooth sailing"

What do you like best?

I like that anyone can now take credit cards with low fees. Square is great for small businesses and bands who tour. Square also allows my friends to have no excuses when it comes to paying me back for things when they don't have cash. Square's POS systems are easy to program and are very user friendly.

What do you dislike?

Square was very difficult to set up. It took me calling customer service to set up my square. It kept trying to register my bank account and square app would not allow me verify my bank account. This was extremely frustrating. There square came with very specific instructions I should not had to call customer service to get my account all set up. I was under the impression I would be able to do the set up myself with no help!

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend square for every business big or small. They are so easy to use and help you manage your business everyday!

Square allows my business to take credit/debit cards without the high fees. Square allows my business to manage my employees and their schedules. I have realized being able to manage all of my businesses needs in one place is very convenient and time efficient.

Square review by User in Financial Services

"Good option for small business "

What do you like best?

I really like the plug in that square sends for your phone so you can accept payments on the go without carrying bulky machine that needs an outlet to work. Fees are also not that high comparing to other similar products. Convenience and affordability

What do you dislike?

The one thing that’s not so great is it isn’t as secure as other payment processing as it stores the customers information on your phone. In case someone gets a hold of or hacks your phone their info isn’t at jeopardy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want ease of use and a pretty reasonable and convenient way to accept payments on the go, square is a good option. Just be careful with the security aspect of it.

I can take payments for my photography AT my sessions if they choose to use a card instead of check or cash. It makes sure that you are protected by taking the money right then instead of checks which may come back. I take this with me to avoid clients forgetting payments and having to carry cash or Checks with them when coming to meet. One less thing for them to worry about because most everyone has a card on them at all times.

Square review by Thomas B.
Thomas B.

"Square makes mobile business competitive with brick-and-mortars"

What do you like best?

The simplicity and efficiency of Square is by far the best on the market today. The handy square reader that fits in your pocket connecting to your cell phone's audio jack is beyond miraculous. The payments transferred to your bank account next day is reliable and wonderful as well as life saving for the nomadic business-person. Square allows festival booths, markets, and crafts-people to compete with the big guys letting them accept credit cards virtually anywhere with more affordable fees than the big banks.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the lack-of-ability that square possesses in automatic credit card acceptance for online transactions or when a customer is not present. It would be an amazing gift if Square could evolve to allowing processing of sales online through shopping carts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Hands down Square is the best solution for accepting credit cards regardless of a brick and mortar, festival booth, or mobile service professional. You won't find more affordable rates and fees anywhere else.

Square lets my business stay nomad and versatile when doing festivals, fairs, and events. There were many a occasion when the sale depended on my ability to process a credit card. Square saved me many sales because of this. The offline feature of Square also made transactions possible when there was no cell or internet signal as well.

Square review by Sabrina R.
Sabrina R.

"Simple and efficient credit card processing with square."

What do you like best?

Square is super easy to use and makes processing credit cards fast. Chip reader is super fast, not slow like most big older style machines. I love receiving the daily reports of what our deposit use and square reports make accounting purposes so much easier! Square's customer support team is always so helpful. We have a customer dispute a transaction a while back and square was on top of the entire situation and helped us through every step of the way.

What do you dislike?

I would like to see square compatible with other tablets such as the microsoft surface or an online interface to process cards. I have been given cheaper prices as far as processor precentages, but I always just fall back on using our square.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a simple credit card processor square is the one to use. They are always updating and adding other cool features as well.

Square is simple to use and makes credit card processing efficient. It's nice to have a processor with the option to directly deposit to you bank although it does not work with our particular bank.

Square review by User

"Fastest Payment Software For Anyone"

What do you like best?

I love the speed of cleared transactions. The fact that you can get paid instantly is also a huge factor. If you are a business that is just starting out and want to accept credit card payments. It's the easiest place to see your sales and it's super transparent.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the actual cost of the processing service. It's on the higher end but with this type of software, you are paying for premium convenience and ease of use. It all ties into the price.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Square continues to change the way you look at credit card processing. It's completely transparent with the numbers and directly after a card entry, you immediately see those sales onto your dashboard which always shows what your daily sales are. I love the reports feature and the forecast for repeat customers .It honestly even tells you what your highest sales day of the week is.

Solved credit card processing and customer sales by credit card. Also helped with sales accounting reports and sales numbers.

Square review by Dennis T.
Dennis T.

"Helped our small business succeed"

What do you like best?

The portability of the device, but to add even more to it, the ability to convert to online ordering and have them run our e-commerce as well.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, I do not think there is anything we didn't like. Even the fees charged are acceptable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you do not have a POS system for your small retail business or farmers market stall, this is an amazing device to use and help you become strategic and allow more.

We wanted to take our small chocolate business to the next level, above Etsy and people paying cash. Etsy was to costly, and at times, we had to front the product when people ordered locally and now, payments can be collected prior to every custom order and allows us to function smoothly.

Square review by User in Religious Institutions
User in Religious Institutions

"Square great tool for small businesses "

What do you like best?

There are two things I like best, the user friendly interface of the software. I have volunteers who all use this program to run our cafe. People ages 15 - 75 use it and are comfortable using it, and it didn't take much training at all. I also love the feature to pull reports from any time frame or time period. This helps so much with my sales goals, and saves me so much time. There are also ways for customers to interact with your business, via the ability to text receipts, so you get customer feedback and reviews.

What do you dislike?

The only trouble I've had is with the square card reader and the chip reader. Sometimes they can be fickle if there is bad internet connection and can cause some frustration.

You can sell from virtually anywhere, so small businesses or people can sell from different locations. This is really helpful for farmer's markets, pop up shops, small business markets, etc that don't want to just take cash only.

Also what Square keeps track of is so helpful, from repeating or new customer stats to what items sold best three years ago.

Square review by User in Retail
User in Retail

"Easy to use!"

What do you like best?

I LOVE the portability of Square the most

What do you dislike?

Wish they did not charge more for keyed in transactions

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you try different readers, what works for one might not be the best for you. Also, make sure you test the features BEFORE you go live so that you know exactly how to use them. Nothing like thinking you know how to use it and then having to apologize to a client when something takes longer than it should.

I am an artist who specializes in textiles and wearable art so its not unusual for someone to see something I am wearing and fall in love with it. That means I never know where my next sale will come from so I always have to be ready. Square lets me do just that by offering me the portability I need in a size that is manageable! I can easily carry my square reader in my purse wherever I go so I never miss a sale but if for some reason I don't have it with me, I can log in and key in the sale by hand. Problem solved.

Square review by Stephanie B.
Stephanie B.

"Easy for All!"

What do you like best?

So many people don't carry cash around, and I don't have to lose out on sales, because I can accept cards! Square has kept me afloat. It's convenient, and very easy for my customers and me to use.

What do you dislike?

Having to pay a portion of what I make to Square isn't fun, but I understand that they have to make a living too.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The cost of using Square is worth it. I know from experience the frustration of not having cash when I need it. The app is very easy to use. I'm able to log the products and select them at checkout. It even sends me a progress report via email at the end of the day.

I don't have to turn down customers because they don't have cash.

Square review by Caitlin R.
Caitlin R.

"Square review "

What do you like best?

I love the ease of use & convenience factors. It makes working a much simpler and smoother process.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was a more affordable avenue for accepting payments via virtual terminal however, I appreciate the ease of use!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely give this a consideration! It has provided much necessary additions and benefits to my business and might be worth the look for if it can do that for you.

It provides great solutions for all sorts of things, from taking payments, scheduling clients and employees, and much more! I am very happy with everything it offers!

Square review by Danielle A. P.
Danielle A. P.

"Square is a wonderful software tool for businesses! "

What do you like best?

I absolutely love Square for my small business. I use it for e-commerce, and when I do trade and vendor shows. I have grown to learn and love the back end and I make changes constantly (pretty much every day) to my products or modifiers used for them. I highly recommend using Square's software if you are not a web developer, but you own small business and want to manage your own site without the hassle of code. It is also very affordable, and great to manage your inventory, employees, profitability and more all in one program.

What do you dislike?

I don't necessarily dislike anything about Square except that I am not too fond of the cash sale availabilities in the back end. I often have cash sales and I would be able to better manage inventory and profits with something to use specifically for the cash portion (for non-brick & mortar businesses).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take advantage of the e-commerce portion of the software! It's wonderful.

I have a beautiful e-commerce website. I am managing inventory on my own. I am seeing the analytics behind which products are most profitable and which customers are most loyal. I love Square so much, who knows where my business would be without it.

Square review by Ice X.
Ice X.

"Whatever payment method you can think of!"

What do you like best?

Extremely easy to set up, and it does not necessarily require you to have the dongle in order to work. You can technically accept CC payment over the phone.

What do you dislike?

The dongle is extremely small and it's easy to lose it. That you'd need to wait a few days before Square ships their dongle to you. It does NOT work with the latest iPhone (not Square's fault but still).

Recommendations to others considering the product

We see Square as a solution if you don't plan on accepting credit card all the time, because their transaction fee can indeed cut a chunk out of your profit margin. Use Square so that your customer won't turn to your competitors for not accepting cards, but still tell people that you'd rather accept cash or cheque or whatever that you were accepting to begin with.

Event Credit card payment acceptance.It solves the occasional hassle that the customer just doesn't have cash and the only thing we can do is to tell him or her where the closest ATM machines are.

Square review by Genevieve B.
Genevieve B.

"Square POS - Great for any company"

What do you like best?

The straight-forward set-up of the application. Square is the easiest Point of Sale system I've ever used. The design makes everything very simple and easy to figure out for novices. We use Square for purchases and also to keep track of our inventory, so we value the program greatly.

What do you dislike?

The price that comes with adjusting certain add-ons. We looked into granting all of our employees extra codes to log into the application and found that it costs extra money. We were definitely disappointed there wasn't an option to have more than one code to log in. We would love to keep better track of purchases through employees to better the counting process of our cash drawer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend Square to any business looking for an easy POS system to use. Especially if you're limited on space or your business travels to other locations and needs an easy method of payment to bring along.

We like using Square to keep track of our gift shop inventory and love the ease of use when doing so. we realized that using Square was far more productive for our employees and keeping track of the store's inventory.

Square review by Kanako T.
Kanako T.

"Easy to set up for certain type of business, but not mine"

What do you like best?

It's easy to use for the credit card transaction. The transaction interface is simple so that the enablement process within the organization was smooth.

It's easy to add items and change the items shown on the dashboard too. It would be better if we can get different level of access (such as admin login and cashier login) so that the entire data is not available to whoever has the login info.

What do you dislike?

The Point Of System doesn't allow us to enter the quantity with decimal point. This is a huge issue for my business that sells items by weight. The issue has been identified on the inventory alert.

It would be better if we can upload an image for each item as a bulk transaction. Also, it would be great if we can customize the fields on each item for inventory management. We'd like to have a field for the supplier info, and we'd not like to add it into description field as it'd not be easy to conduct analysis later.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We didn't evaluate other software closely, but with my own research, this software seems the best. I wish this database is structured more flexible way. Having said that, it's very easy to set up and the switching cost is fairly low.

We've been using an old-fashioned register and a credit card transaction device. Our goal when looking at Square and its competitor products was the tool to track inventory and sales data while keeping the credit card fee low. We are in the process of setting up the point of system side.

Square review by User in Photography
User in Photography

"Square is awesome for small businesses!"

What do you like best?

Low transaction fees. I can do everything very easily online and sell products online. Convenience, plug in the card reader to mobile devices - very portable.

What do you dislike?

Honestly there isn't much I dislike. I'm a small business and I've been using it for awhile and it's great. The one thing I wish they would do is make the items and the selling process a little more flexible for businesses that are mostly online and don't have an actual retail location. And when you make a sale online you have to go into your account and click "complete" within a certain time limit to process the order and have the money transferred to your account which then sends an "order complete" email to your customer. Many times I would like the money transferred right away or I don't want to forget so I complete the transaction right away, but the order isn't actually done/ready yet. I've also forgotten a couple times to go in and complete the order and then the sale is cancelled and the money refunded, which is very annoying. This may be updated/fixed by now - I'm not sure. It's a minor thing, but is inconvenient and seems unnecessary to me.

The low transaction fees are really helpful for a small business. And the first card reader was free. When they upgraded to include chip cards the new readers were extremely affordable. It's really helpful to sell things in an online store as well.

Square review by Taura H.
Taura H.

"A must have for small businesses or artisans and artists that do pop up shops."

What do you like best?

It is incredibly easy to use. The new debit tap function is amazing and has opened the door to more customers who don't use credit or carry cash. They are very quick about sending you your funds.

What do you dislike?

Creating and pricing items is a little confusing. There is no easy/fast way to clear all items from the shopping cart, it's a 3 click process which doesn't seem like much but it's a pain when you have a line of customers to serve. I would like to see an option to start over on the main items screen. I would like to see swipe debit added soon.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely recommend investing in the tap hardware, it's worth the money. The tap functionality removes the need for the tiny swipe device to be attached to your phone and it's lightning fast.

It allows me to do business anywhere and the tap debit has allowed for more business.

Square review by Rachel R.
Rachel R.

"Easy PayDay!"

What do you like best?

I enjoy using Square to send my customers invoices for their items they buy from my business.

I get the money deposited into my bank account in just 1 business day which is great!

My customers also love it because they can pay their invoice in the privacy of their own home.

What do you dislike?

There are little tweeks I wish I could make to my invoice template, such as keeping the same title, or always setting the due date to a certain time frame, but other than that, I am happy with this program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Square is not only fantastic for sending invoices, but they also send you a reader you can use on the go for orders at fairs, or events. Square also allows its users to create a free online store, with a webpage, so you can easily send a link to customers about items in your inventory!

I am solving the hassle of having to ask for personal information from my customers and allowing them to safely, and privately pay for their order at home.

Square review by Chantelle R.
Chantelle R.

"I love Square!"

What do you like best?

Square has been one of my favorites because it was the first mobile credit card processing option for my business. The bank deposit has always been easy but now they offer instant deposit which makes it even more easier.

What do you dislike?

I used to dislike having to wait until the next business day to receive my funds but now they offer the instant deposit so that is a plus for me.

Square and its credit card reader is super convenient so that we can accept payments anywhere. When we are doing trade shows and offer a products for sale, I can easily swipe my customer's credit card instead of waiting for the sale. I have also set up an online store for easier checkouts while I sleep.

Square review by Candace J.
Candace J.

"Square for Non-profits"

What do you like best?

Square makes it easy for us to take donations no matter where we are - in business meetings, at lunch meetings, at formal and informal events alike. It's easy to keep a square with you at all times so you're ready to take the donation anywhere, anytime.

What do you dislike?

I've been interested in getting the chip reader, but I've heard that it doesn't function very well. I'm sticking with the traditional card swipe until the bugs seem to be worked out.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep a couple square readers with you at all times, that way you have a backup in case one of them gets glitchy. Doesn't happen often but you'll be glad you have it in case something like that does occur. Remember that you can also always manually enter a credit card number if the swipe function seems to be failing, too.

Cash donations are rare these days. Having a square allows donation mobility, no matter where I go.

Square review by James L.
James L.

"Excellent Entry Level Solution"

What do you like best?

Square comes loaded with just about everything a small business would need. POS, Inventory Control, Invoicing, Appointment Scheduling, Cash Management, Payroll/Time Clocks, and Online Ordering. It's loaded with TONS of bells and whistles for minimal entry cost.

What do you dislike?

There are only two things that drive me crazy. 1) All the functionality means most things cover just about what everyone needs except a few small things here and there. Getting support for upgrading those functions can be extremely slow and painful. Out of the box solutions specific to your industry likely have EVERYTHING you're looking for but you're going to pay an arm, leg, first born child, etc.. So its usually a suck it up buttercup scenario. 2) They're focused on mostly single location business'. Trying to use Square in a franchise with multiple owners, simply doesn't work under current set-up. Gift cards can't be used in other locations unless its on a shared account which screws up the tax reporting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't run from the x% fees thinking. Look at the bigger picture of what a POS implementation brings. Investigate the alternatives and be sure you understand what they're asking. Most have subscription model, project the differences in cost based on your sales and see if that makes sense.

The customer I help wanted to make a switch from old fashion Casio cash register and terminal based credit card processing. It was slow, clunky, and costly. They were looking for the automation a POS provides but as a SBO, couldn't afford a full scale traditional POS implementation. Square was able to tackle 90-95% of what they were looking for with no increased cost.

For my own business, it has been perfect. Does everything I need and then some.

Square review by Jenn Z.
Jenn Z.

"Square makes eCommerce enjoyable!"

What do you like best?

Square has a very quick turnaround time for deposits and makes it easy for my customers to pay me. That, in turn, means I actually get paid on time more often! The absolute best thing about Square, though, in my opinion, is that you can earn free processing. Whenever you refer a new customer to Square (a customer who will be processing payments, that is), you can process $1000 of sales for free. They refund your processing fees back to each transaction whenever you have referral credit available. No hoops to jump through, and the person you referred ALSO gets $1000 of free processing! Serious win-win right there. I highly recommend Square for payment processing.

What do you dislike?

They're aimed at in-person transactions. I currently do most of my sales online, so the processing fees for invoicing are slightly higher than in-person swiped/dipped transactions (2.9% + $0.30 versus 2.75%, at the time of this review). It's not enough to make a huge difference for a small business, but it does add up over time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just go for it! I haven't looked back since switching to Square. They make it so easy to use.

Faster payment processing, ease of use for my customers AND myself, and free processing when I refer other merchants and service providers to Square.

Square review by Nikki M.
Nikki M.

"Safe and effective"

What do you like best?

The product is easy to use, with any smartphone or tablet. It is also widely used, so people are comfortable with it.

What do you dislike?

Not much to dislike. It does what it needs to do.

Recommendations to others considering the product

While you can use any smart phone, I recommend getting a dedicated device for the purpose of using square. It is very convenient, especially for small and newly growing businesses. We primarily used it for farmers market settings. It does have the ability to type in card numbers, in case swiping does not work or for payments over the phone. I am not sure how they are handling the new chipped cards. It might be an interim solution, and not long term or for when you company grows much larger. I'd switch to a more traditional card charging system. Definitely quicker than the old school machines.

Providing ability for customers to pay with card in places where cash may have been the only option in the past. Often times, customers are more likely to buy more product because they have the ability to use card.

Square review by Beth A.
Beth A.

"LOVE SQUARE"

What do you like best?

I love the ability to take self-pay payments instantaneously in any clinical setting.

What do you dislike?

There is no ability to enter notes for custom amounts entered. Also - very dependent on having good WiFi or LTE coverage which can be variable in medical setting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think that Square is a great, convenient and professional way to collect payment. With medical equipment, many times cash collected at time of service is the only type of payment for product we receive, making this a very important application for us to use.

We used to use Shopify which was such a challenge as it took forever to enter all CC information. The card slider is fantastic, and also allows us to track cash and check payments.

Square review by Administrator in Graphic Design
Administrator in Graphic Design

"Easy to use interface, mostly used for sending invoices for small business"

What do you like best?

Love that I can send invoices easily and that most customers are familiar with the Square name.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that the fee is greater for sending invoices than it is for swiping cards. I also don't like how it costs us more for a customer to keep their card on file.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Square charges you more fees if customers want to save their card for future use. Also it charges more for sending invoices than for in person swipes.

Most of my clients pay by check, which is great for me so that I can avoid fees. But when people don't have checkbooks, which happens more and more, then they can easily pay via Square Invoices or in person with a Square Reader. I guess the other problem that this app solves is that people can spend money they don't really have by using credit cards rather than paying by check or cash.

Square review by Kalina S.
Kalina S.

"Convienient when on the go"

What do you like best?

I like square for when I am doing an in person sale that will not be shipped so there is less tracking available for disputes

What do you dislike?

When i first started with Square I had a hard time setting it up, but after awhile it became pretty easy

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get the card reader that is chip enabled

I am able to take payments from my customers on the go and swipe their credit cards from my phone. I realized by swiping their credit card, i pay a lower fee as well as am more protected against fraud and charge backs.

Square review by Kristen S.
Kristen S.

"Easy for You, Easy for Customers"

What do you like best?

I really enjoy using Square! It's a super easy way to pay and receive payment. The app is very easy to figure out and the design is very clean and pleasant to look at. Customers can send themselves receipts, sign and tip you!

What do you dislike?

Sometimes, the reader struggles to read the the card the first couple of times you try it. Punching in the number does take a while, but for the most part it's very easy to use, and now they have another device that makes it easier to swipe with if you struggle to use the reader.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend Square! It is useful to small businesses and well and non-profits and other organizations.

Taking payment quickly and from most people is great! Most people prefer paying with a card and most non profits do not carry around a credit card device. It's light and several employees can use the account at the same time!

Square review by Jasmine A.
Jasmine A.

"Easy, convenient mobile sales"

What do you like best?

I like that I can take credit as well as cash in any setting; it makes my business more truly mobile and helps me make sales on the go

What do you dislike?

The small reader can be finicky. Usually my device has to be resting on a flat surface, and often I have to swipe multiple times before the Square will actually read the card

Many people do not carry cash, especially with the rise of options like Square, Venmo, Paypal, etc. By having the capability to take credit when I am selling face to face, I can capitalize on the opportunity to make the transaction immediately, rather than depend on the customer to remember to place their order online the next time they have access to a computer and their credit card.

Square review by Colton L.
Colton L.

"User Friendly and Convenient POS Device"

What do you like best?

I love how mobile Square can be as you simply just plug the device in your phone, tablet, or mobile device and you have a credit/debit card device right at your fingertips. I also like that you can customize the receipts and send them directly to the client via email. This makes the checkout process super convenient and eco-friendly.

What do you dislike?

Nobody like to lose money so I would have to say that the percentage taken out would be the only thing I dislike about Square. Of course, any POS device will take out a percentage and Square is very competitive on their percentage. I do think it is a very reasonable percentage taken out. This would be the only thing I dislike about Square. They are doing a great job and have good things going for them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you haven't use Square, I highly HIGHLY recommend you trying it out. Especially if you are still carrying around a bulky POS device around with you.

By allowing me to put the Square reader right in my pocket, this makes collecting payments from customers even more convenient for both me and them. Most people don't carry cash around anymore so being able to plug Square right in your mobile device makes payments even more simple. Since I don't have to bring a bulky POS device with me to a client and have to have the hard wired Internet connection, Square makes my job easier. The checkout process is fast, simple, and customizable to make your client feel connected with you.

Square review by Michelle K.
Michelle K.

"Square for payment processing"

What do you like best?

I've used Square for years for my personal sales activity. I after will make purchases to flip online in our local trading post, and having the ability to accept a credit or debit card really helps to solidify the sale.

What do you dislike?

Well, obviously the fees, however, I do understand it can't be free. I have considered using the software to allow for card payments for our financial advisory business, but the options are a bit limited. It would be nice to be able to import a file and create multiple invoices at one.

Having the ability to accept cards really makes the sale go much easier. I remember before using Square having to carry so much change with me to events. Being able to swipe a card makes things so much easier, and safe.

Square review by User in Construction
User in Construction

"Easy to use"

What do you like best?

This software is easy to use. The portability is my favorite thing. I like that it can be used on multiple platforms. Its a site my customers trust when I send an invoice.

What do you dislike?

There is not much to dislike about this software in my opinion. The only downside I can see, is the cost of the accessories.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Invest in the chip reader at minimum. Its needed for fraud protection on your end, but is extremely handy. Setting up new items in the POS can take a bit. If you are on the road sales like us, set up whatever you can before hand.

We do travel shows and the square software really solved all issues we had with taking payments on the road. Its a trusted payment process and is extremely convenient.

Square review by AK C.
AK C.

"Of all the merchant services, most honest and user-friendly"

What do you like best?

I do not give out a top score for a review freely.

That being said, Square has been the most user-friendly, most honest, and most upfront merchant service provider I've used. While their rates are slightly higher than others, the services provided for free more than make up for the roughly half-a-percent difference. Everything is spelled out in their terms of service, everything is explained in plain speak, from the rates to the marketing to their loan program.

What I enjoy most about Square is the ability to monitor and if needed access sales and transactions when I am away from the shop. If there is a concern or a refund needed and my employees have a question, I can access the interface easily from my tablet, my phone, or my laptop, depending on the availability. This also makes it easier to accept payments on-site as for consultations and deliveries.

We have tried four different merchant services in the three years we have owned our shop, and each time we had an issue, whether not receiving our batch in a timely manner, horrid customer service, or giving us a hard time about services and equipment, Square has always been hassle-free.

What do you dislike?

My only complaint with Square is the lack of phone support; while I am technologically savvy enough to figure out the system, some of my contemporaries are not so much, and get frustrated by this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for straight-up, plain-speak, up-front about everything in a merchant service provider, Square is the way to go. No hidden fees, everything is spelled out, and their email support is top notch.

We've just discovered the benefits of Square's marketing programs; we've been using it for over a month and have not been disappointed with their analytics and their reach.

Square review by Harrison T.
Harrison T.

"BEST PAYMENT PROCESSOR EVER! "

What do you like best?

Square is awesome if you own a retail store, do trade show events often, or if you're even a freelancer / contractor. I love how they don't have any monthly fees, their customer support, their low transaction fees, tons of updates on the app, easy to use, and more!

What do you dislike?

The transaction fee could drop a bit more, but it balances out with no monthly fees. There should be a PayPal add-on feature, because a lot of people don't like to show their credit cards, and PayPal can help.

We are solving our customer transaction time as it has improved from using Square. The benefits I have realized is the convenience of using this software has changed our life and improved our business a lot! If you own an iPad and have their Stand, you can add your entire inventory on the system and keep track of it for free! I been looking through many other apps such as inventory management, sales tracking, etc. and they all cost or have a monthly fee which I normally dislike because I only use Square about few times a month when we are attending trade shows or events. Sometimes there are no wi-fi or the cellular LTE signal is terrible in the area, we like how Square can save up the process up to 48 hours and process the order offline which is nice.

Square review by Stephen H.
Stephen H.

"An absolute must "

What do you like best?

I like only being charged when I use . I love the instant deposit feature . Allows me to instantly receive my funds via debit card attached. I love it works from my phone and my swipe square.

What do you dislike?

I don’t like higher rates when manual entering .

Recommendations to others considering the product

It’s a great business or personal tool . Can use for simple sales or complex business needs .

I do hair and my clients can pay me directly . My regulars don’t even need to bring payment , i can send an invoice to be paid when they can .

Square review by William T.
William T.

"Simple, customizable, easy to set up & use application with extras."

What do you like best?

There are a number of things that I like about Square - the free basic credit card reader, electronic receipts emailed/texted, automatic business day withdrawals, customizable receipts, and a free online store front among other offerings. I also purchased the chip card reader and I use that nearly every time for a credit/debit card sale.

What do you dislike?

They offer some additional services like online scheduling, email marketing and others but the price is a little too steep for my taste - if they offered a longer trial period I would be more inclined to try it. The basic credit card swipe reader can be a little picky, sometimes I have to swipe the card 3-4 times to get it to read.(The chip reader works the first time, every time)

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a simple, convenient way to accept payments from customers along with some extras if you choose to use them.

I'm a massage therapist and this an effective solution for receiving payment from customers whether at my location or if I'm offsite doing chair massage or just randomly meet someone who wants to purchase a gift certificate I can take payment through my phone no matter where I am. Also the emailable or textable receipt allows for customers to see a professional looking digital receipt that provides a final message and can also be customized to request feedback on their experience which is nice.

Square review by Heather M.
Heather M.

"Easy to Integrate Payment System"

What do you like best?

I use WIX for my webstore, and setting up Square to integrate with my website was simple and quick. My customers are comfortable using it as a payment platform due to their reputation. Dashboard is easy to navigate, and deposits are made quickly (next day).

What do you dislike?

Would like to see a lower percentage of fees taken out for usage, but that's wishful thinking as it seems to be an industry standard.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you ever make in person sales, get the card reader that hooks up to your phone. I can't begin to tell you how many sales I've made at events that people made a comment regarding other vendors not being able to accept a credit or debit card in an age where many people don't carry cash.

Allows clients to pay online or in person using the Square app and reader. Allows me to focus on building client relationships rather than worrying about how to accept payment or having to set up a merchant account with individual credit card companies.

Square review by George B.
George B.

"Credit Card Processing for Everyone"

What do you like best?

The rates are fine and the user interface is fantastic.

What do you dislike?

It would be nice to have processing 7 days a week (or even 6), but the weekday schedule fits our needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a handful of large transactions each month, Square may be for you. I have no idea how it might work for a lot of smaller transactions like in the stereotypical coffee shop, but it works great for us.

We run a boutique consultancy and knew that invoices and taking checks to the bank was a horrible waste of time. But our volume was so small that traditional processors didn't want to work with us. Square met our needs.

Square review by User in International Affairs
User in International Affairs

"Easy to use but remember to swipe!"

What do you like best?

- Easy to use app and easy to set up

- Free Website

- Intuitive website designing functions

- Inventory capability and linking across multiple devices

- Free Reader

- You can do coupons on the ship and set your shipping costs

- Competitive fees

What do you dislike?

- When you go to sell something on the app, you have to swipe the card on the main purchase screen; this is confusing as there are so many other options like debit number, gift card, cash, etc. There is no "swipe" option, you just do it. I inputed several cards by hand because I couldn't find the swipe tab. This caused me to receive less because there is a higher processing fee. I was a upset =/

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look at the fees, apps, inventory, and integration with what you need and compare with the other companies. Additionally, look at their website options and see if Square solves your business requirements.

We can sell our non-profit jewelry at art fairs so easily; without it, we would lose a lot of business. If fills our needs for credit and debit card processing. It also allows us to keep on inventory across multiple individuals and states. Before this, we were using an excel spreadsheet. Additionally, the website allows us to sell our jewelry on a free site and it fills our website needs. Finally, the fees for the credit and debit card processing our competitive and ensures that we keep more money for the non-profit.

Square review by Amaury T.
Amaury T.

"Simple and Right to the point for a start up business"

What do you like best?

For small businesses starting up, the sign up process is seamless, the fees are straight forward, and you get what you need very conveniently, without the need to purchase expensive credit card reading hardware, or anything of that nature.

What do you dislike?

The fees. Yes, I understand the fees are always going to be a part of just about anything one uses, but now having been in business over 1 year, we are considering migrating to a lower fee place.

Their dispute process is also very unsatisfactory. They do have a department dedicated to this, however, the wait times are very long and the ongoing information they provide is vague. So far, despite having covered all our bases (in my opinion), Square has lost 2 out of 2 cases in which the customer disputed our transaction with their credit card company. Makes me wonder what i'm paying them for...

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely a great start up tool, but, I strongly recommend you explore all your options once your business is up and running and don't keep square out of convenience, keep them because you explored other options...

The fact that many customers prefer to pay with credit card, we needed a fast and easy to use solution. Having field employees that are excellent at the technical aspects of their jobs but not very computer/mobile savvy, this has proven to be a good solution because our workers are able to process payments without much training.

Square review by Cori P.
Cori P.

"Super fast and user friendly"

What do you like best?

I really like that I can use this anytime from anywhere with cell service. I love that the card reader is supplied for free, there are no continued fees. If you don't use it, you don't pay for anything. Recently, square has upgraded to give you the option to accept cards with a chip reader.

What do you dislike?

I do not like that you must have cell phone service in order to use the reader, to verify and secure the funds. I am not a huge fan of paying a different fee if the card is swiped vs. manually entered. The very last thing that I do not like is that the money from the purchases is not automatically available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Numerous banks offer their own card readers, I would recommend reviewing the fees associated with each purchase made,

I have a couple of different businesses. All of them are in sales. When I make sales to the public I do not like to take checks. The square card reader allows me to be able to take a more secure payment for my products and services. No more bounced checks.

Square review by Lorrianne M.
Lorrianne M.

"Best Mobile Card Reader System"

What do you like best?

Square has the best fee percentages and the best insights without having to pay extra, The basic readers are free, whether or order one online or buy one in-store and submit the paperwork to be reimbursed for it.

What do you dislike?

The basic readers wear out easily, and the turn-around for replacing and reimbursing them can take a long time. Especially around the holidays.

The new chip readers are kind of expensive though, especially for how buggy and fragile they were when they first rolled out. They're less buggy now, but still fragile.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Order extra basic readers!

We can take cards, deposit checks, and pay ourselves all from one system. It really makes things a lot easier when you only have to deal with a few systems that speak to each other, versus a different system from each task with no go-between.

Square review by Administrator in Public Relations and Communications
Administrator in Public Relations and Communications

"Love Square"

What do you like best?

Square is very easy to use. I also like how in the administrative part of the website it allows you to search by the last 4 digits of the credit card. That turns out to be very helpful when trying to reconcile payments. Also, I really like the "offline feature" you can still make transactions even if you don't have any wifi.

What do you dislike?

The square reader (that attaches to your phone or device) always seems to have issues. It is very rare that it goes through on the first swipe. This looks bad to customers because the more times they see you swiping their card, they think they are getting charged multiple times.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely worth a shot. If you don't like it, at least you didn't spend a lot on the initial investment (since the reader is free).

This is a lot easier for processing payments for onsite events. Normally, we would have to have people write down their credit card information and then manually process it off site. With square, all of that is avoided and the payment is made quickly.

Square review by User in Market Research
User in Market Research

"Very good option for small business"

What do you like best?

Great App - easy to use, feature rich, relatively intuitive. Access the same info online from a PC or by using the App - that's convenient. Decent pricing except for manually entered credit cards. Very easy to get up and running quickly. Nice ways to customize things such as invoices to give them a look / feel that supports your brand.

What do you dislike?

Square allows you to keep a customer credit card on file - which is very handy. However, you have to manually enter that credit card number and when you use credit cards that have been manually entered, you pay higher fees. I especially dislike this aspect because I keep my best / most frequent customers' cards on file which means I'm often paying higher fees. Ticks me off. I wish they offered a partial payment option for invoices. Also, I wish they offered online merchant services like those offered by Stripe.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't be intimidated. I have tons of competitors in my little taxi / car service side business. But none of my competitors take credit cards because they think that starting a business and accepting credit cards is hard. It's quite easy and getting up and running with Square can be done rather quickly.

As a sideline "job", I started a mobile business and needed to take credit card payments. I've seen Square ads many times but thought it was a combination of too good to be true and it's gotta be harder than they advertise. I was wrong. I use Stripe for my online purchases and Square for my physical (face-to-face) purchases. Both are good and I would argue that Square is a bit better than Stripe but Square and Stripe are targeting two different types of merchant card processing service users. I think the total cost of signup and to get the chip card reader was $50. I was up and running very quickly and paid for the cost to get started very quickly. Overall, Square has been a great (albeit not perfect) solution for me.

Square review by Frank G.
Frank G.

"Great for offering credit card payments to clients and for providing Payroll services"

What do you like best?

Affordable transaction fees to be able to offer credit card payments to clients. Within the past year, we additionally set-up the Payroll services and it has been helpful to have the state and federal filing be automated.

What do you dislike?

The online shopping cart option to set-up for your business is limited. It would be helpful if there were more options to configure your online storefront, especially when selling services / subscription based items, rather than tangible products.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Square is very easy to set-up and their transaction fees are, in my opinion, very affordable for small business owners. Square has enabled us to offer credit card payments as a payment method option for our consulting clients.

The business problems are you solving with Square, include: 1) payment methods for clients, and 2) employee payroll services.

Square review by Bridget T.
Bridget T.

"Easy and convenient on the go payment"

What do you like best?

It is so easy to use, people are very familiar with the platform and not afraid to use it. I made infinite more money at pop-up events being able to have a credit card processor at hand on my phone.

What do you dislike?

The swiping mechanism has been known to be faulty, but never made a big deal because you can just type in the CC info!

When I used the product, you could not store product info/inventory in it, which was not an issue for me because you could just type in the description as you sold it!

Recommendations to others considering the product

just try it!! It's to easy to use to not give it a try.

CC processing on the fly. If you have your cell phone then you have a cc processor! No fancy gadgets required. Benefit is definitely more sales, because most people are not carrying cash!

Square review by Melissa B.
Melissa B.

"Square is GREAT"

What do you like best?

I like that I can easily process credit cards and give my members/visitors the opportunity to self-process through a dedicated website

What do you dislike?

I wish I could do batch deposits once a month instead of getting them automatically daily.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it! Square has been great and as soon as I can win a grant to update our website, we'll be able to integrate it via API which will make things even better.

It has made it much easier to diversify our CC processing options. It's also easier to direct people to the website link.

Square review by User in Religious Institutions
User in Religious Institutions

"User Friendly "

What do you like best?

It’s very simple to use...just connect the reader and you’re ready to go! I also like how it can be customized to enter individual items or just a total sales amount. And the fact that an internet connection isn’t required is great for those who travel from place to place to operate their business.

What do you dislike?

Perhaps I just haven’t figured this part out yet, but I would like a way to track all expenses in the same program and be able to pull reports...basically that it would be a full accounting software. I don’t like having to have two separate software programs and then having to do double entries for my sales.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get it! The basic reader is free so you have nothing to lose!

Being able to easily accept credit card payments on the go with low transaction fees. Also that non-credit card sales can be entered to easily keep track of all sales in one place.

Square review by Madison P.
Madison P.

"Payments on the go are easy!"

What do you like best?

I love that Square is so easy to use. You can collect purchases on the go without a bulky machine or plugging into a wall. You can customize your items and categorize them for easy tracking. You can create mobile staff with different permissions. And reporting is very easy!

What do you dislike?

I'd like the fees to be a bit lower... but it's still fair for the amount of features they offer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have each of your staff register and have a square shipped in their name! They are free.

Easily able to collect credit card payments when we have fundraisers.

Square review by Shane L.
Shane L.

"Square - An Affordable way to process payments and manage inventory"

What do you like best?

Very affordable POS system, works best with Apple hardware in my opinion. You can go with a simple handheld option linked to your phone for pop-up sales or on the go, or purchase additional Square Stand for around $100 and set up using an iPad - the latter is perfect for "traditional" POS. It also has a free inventory management back end and excellent reporting. Pair with the square "dashboard" app to monitor sales from anywhere. The % charged is also lower than most high street bank alternatives so Square really is a game changer in my opinion.

What do you dislike?

It would be nice to have different item databases accessible through 1 single log in. Currently multiple log ins must be created to send funds to different bank accounts, a small change that doesn't have much negative impact, but it would be a nice option.

Recommendations to others considering the product

No upfront cost. Free credit card reader if you want the basic option, and you can add on other hardware if you really need it. It helps control your inventory, sends you reminders to re-order, allows you to hear feedback from customers, only charges you flat % on credit card processing - nothing for cash sales. You have nothing to lose and a lot to gain!

There are many benefits. Keep all inventory together with our sales and reporting for a small % charge per credit card sale has saved us hours on labor, allows up to the minute sales reporting for a real time snap shot, allows customers to send us feedback after their purchase, gives us reminders when to re-order. Compared to the archaic system available pre-square, we get everything we need for no extra cost

Square review by Sabreena N.
Sabreena N.

"Very easy to use and set up"

What do you like best?

Setting up the Square is very easy. You would only need to read the instructions on how this product works. Other than that you don't need anything. Working on this and using this is very simple. All you really have to do it plug in the square and turn on the app. Also, for the receipts, its directly emailed to the customer and no paper is wasted either. This can be helpful to a lot of users especially those who like to keep a record of their spending. They can view it all online and use the record as they go. Exchanging and refunds are also just as easy. If someone were to dispute a charge, you can view the transaction details all in the system.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes there will be a little glitch in the app or the app would shut down but it does not cause a lot of problems. No direct receipt can be a problem to some customers since they do not use their emails. Even though the technology is changing, most users still rely on the paper receipt. The square itself can be a little annoying as its a plastic square popping out of your phone and easily breakable if dropped.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely worth getting if you have a business. Its very easy to use and you're like better than an actual credit card machine.

This takes away having a credit card machine in total and definitely walking around with one. You can take this on the go if you do need to charge someone.

Square review by Jenny G.
Jenny G.

"Awesome for small businesses"

What do you like best?

Fee according to how much you use the service rather than paying monthly for small amount of transactions.

What do you dislike?

Requires internet connection to verify credit card payments.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Fantastic product that offers small merchants the flexibility to accept all major payments without paying a monthly fee. It is pay per use which is great for those starting out.

Accepting credit and debit card payments that would otherwise have deterred a sale.

Square review by Ashley B.
Ashley B.

"A good alternative on the go"

What do you like best?

Daily summaries, the ability to place tax specifics, deposits directly to account and automatically at that. Ability to email previous customers with promotions.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, not much that I don't like about Square. Maybe only that the higher readers weren't so expensive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Even a simple card reader is worth it, but if you can splurge on the bigger machines that also take chips, do it. I have no complaints about the company after several years of use.

Solving on the go sales. I do a lot of conventions and Square is just easier to set up and handle than Paypal Here was. Helps me take care of transactions while I'm on the go and even when I'm not always connected to the internet or data on my phone.

Square review by User

"A great portable transactions method!"

What do you like best?

The portability is obviously a huge benefit of this technology. It is easy to use, and I only need access to a phone. It is way cheaper for the company to purchase an extra phone for payments than a entire new set of equipment. People are also very familiar with it as well, because it is so widely used -- neither I or the customer usually have any issues (unless the client is unfamiliar with smart phones).

What do you dislike?

Occasionally the card reader has difficulty reading cards, which is problematic if the customer does not have cash on hand. While restarting the application usually fixes the issue, we have occasionally had to let individuals into events for free because it stopped working. This obviously reduces our profits unnecessarily. However, because we still get more customers when we take cards (even if it temporarily fails), it is worth the risk to use Square.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A great system when you need a way to make payments in a fast paced and mobile environment (especially outdoor events, etc.)

This has facilitated payments for events, when we do not have access to our usual computer-based system. It is great that we are able to accept cards, with only a phone. We use it for planned events, as well as a back-up system in case our default system has issues.

Square review by User in Publishing
User in Publishing

"Great for small businesses"

What do you like best?

The portability of the card scanner itself is amazing, though simple. We can stash a card reader in multiple bags and pockets, so that we're never without one and always have one on-hand for trade shows and book events. I'd love to have a larger POS for trade shows because of how sleek they are, but we can't really justify the expense for one.

What do you dislike?

The card reader can be finicky, and it would be great if there were a way to use the card reader without needing an internet connection (for cash-only purchases, for example) in the event you're in a place where the connection is bad.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you can find a way to justify the terminal, do it! It looks amazing and sleek. I also love that there's a chip reader option now, though we haven't adopted it yet.

Our ability to sell products at trade shows has become so much more streamlined and simple since taking on the Square. Whereas we used to be cash-only, this makes it easier for our fans and customers to pay.

Square review by maryah d.
maryah d.

"I love using square"

What do you like best?

It's so easy and convenient for my work, I just pop a card reader into my phone or tablet at the lake to receive payment, its easy for me, and super easy for customers. I would tell anyone starting their own business indoors or outdoors to use this

What do you dislike?

sometimes the card reader doesn't get the card on the first swipe, but this is such a minor inconvenience for how overall great the product is.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it, its so clear and easy to navigate and use

ability to accommodate accepting payments of all sorts since not every person does the same thing, like not all people carry cash anymore.

Square review by Administrator in Religious Institutions
Administrator in Religious Institutions

"Square is Easy to Use"

What do you like best?

For a small business, this program is very easy to use in order to take card payments and implement sales prices and discounts. It is fast and easy to use. Most people these days prefer card over cash or check so it is convenient to have. I also like that I could take partial payments when using Square. Sometimes customers preferred to pay half cash and half on their card. The fact that this is an option through Square made this process extremely easy.

What do you dislike?

If a card fails to ready, which surprisingly happened a lot, I manually had to enter a credit card number. This I believe, charges the user a higher percentage.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out!! This is the easiest system to use if you own a small business and want to be able to quickly accept (card) payment from customers!

Before Square, the small spray tanning business I worked for could only accept cash or checks as forms of payment, which was a huge problem as most people now prefer to pay with credit card. Square was the quickest solution to this problem. This also saves a lot of paper. Receipts are emailed or texted to the customer as soon as they complete their payment.

Square review by Lara L.
Lara L.

"The perfect solution for start-up's a small businessness"

What do you like best?

What I like best is the easy to use nature of the program and simplicity of the interface design.

What do you dislike?

I wish that the product could make discounts a little less confusing (or the creation of discount codes).

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you plan on using Square, make sure you take the time to be oriented with the product as you don't want to caught experiencing trial & error mistakes while using it with customers.

Easy checkout either online or in person for immediate purchases that need to be handled easily with an iphone or ipad device.

Square review by Krystle P.
Krystle P.

"Easy and on demand credit card processing"

What do you like best?

I can use my smart phone to easily and securely accept client credit card payments.

What do you dislike?

The processing rates are a little high, but not unreasonable for the convenience.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's very easy to use, even worth having as a back up method to accept payments.

Square makes it super easy to accept a client's credit card payment on the go. Great to have at a meeting to close a sale and accept a payment on services.

Square review by User

"Easy to use but difficult to get detailed info on sales"

What do you like best?

It is really easy to use, whether swiping from my phone or typing in c.c. info when I'm talking to the person on the phone.

What do you dislike?

Our 'sales' aren't items but donations or memberships to our organization. I would like each 'sale' to be deposited to our bank daily--or else handled like paypal where I trigger a monthly deposit. As it's set up now, we have to remember to 'send' the item and then it still waits a day or two to deposit. This creates issues at month end. It also creates an issue if we don't do the 'send' in a timely manner and the person's money gets refunded to them!

It makes it easier for our visitors to swipe the QR code or come to the office and swipe their card and pay us instead of having cash. It's easy for them to use from the home page of our website.

Square review by Administrator in Entertainment
Administrator in Entertainment

"All in One Credit Card Processor"

What do you like best?

Allows Online or remote payments, Square keeps updating tools and adding more features that are super handy to service type businesses. Square offers cash advances for new businesses and growing businesses. They offer discounts for bringing new customers to them.

What do you dislike?

Cash advance loans don't show up on credit.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Find a friend that uses Square before you sign up. Get their code to get $1000 of free transactions to start.

Slow cash flow is helped with their cash advance loans. This helps us through the tough times of seasonal service work like what we do. Square also tries to update their tools to make them more useful.

Square review by Alex Y.
Alex Y.

"Great way to accept payments"

What do you like best?

The ease and simplicity of accepting payments from all types of cards as well as the speed of funds deposits to my account. The ability to interact with customers after purchase is a big plus too. I'm able to notify past customers (who've chosen to receive a receipt via email) of sales and promotions that I'm running.

What do you dislike?

The % taken out of each transaction can really add up, that's probably what I dislike the most. I also wish they'd provide synchronization with Shopify, which is my online sales solution. If Square had their own online store that was as robust as Shopify it might not be a problem, but with how their system is currently, online integration would've been a huge plus. There are many customers who couldn't purchase on the spot, but asked about online options, if I'd had that, there would have been more sales.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check how much you'd be paying to Square with their percentage based payment plan compared with other POS systems which offer monthly flat rates. If you have very high volume sales, there may be another which would be more cost effective for you. However, Square's ease of use and quick customer service add to their benefits, which may outweigh the percentage-per-sale cost.

It's given me a quick and easy way to accept payments on the go. When customers can't pay with cash, this is very nifty. I've accepted thousands of dollars via credit card for sales that wouldn't have completed if I only had cash payment options.

Square review by Luke D.
Luke D.

"Works well and is simple."

What do you like best?

I like that you can request a card reader and it comes free fast and easy. The set-up process is super simple and straight forward.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the percentage of money they take from each transaction.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Square is probably the easiest and fastest way to get started accepting cards so if you're looking to accept cards right now Square can be set up in minutes.

Square helps me accept credit cards easily.

Square review by Jana L.
Jana L.

"Excellent Business Tool for Managing your Income"

What do you like best?

Square is easy to use for managing business income and sales. It's user friendly, simple to set up and get started right away.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I dislike about Square for my business.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are considering square to help run and manage your business, you will not be disappointed. They truly take care of their clients. It's easy to set up and get started right away.

Square helps me track my income from weekly, monthly, and yearly. I can see where I need to work on increasing sales throughout the year. Square helps me stay organized, especially when it comes to tax time! Reports are easy to print out and sort.

Square review by Dane B.
Dane B.

"Love it, best decision I have made "

What do you like best?

Easy to understand structure. No gimmicks and sales pressure associated with most Merchant Service companies. Love the invoicing options and numerous features. No hidden fees, not even chargeback fees.

What do you dislike?

The pricing structure is not as competitive for my volume as I could potentially get with a traditional merchant company, but the benefits and ease of use make it worth the cost. I used to have to watch every report and fee with the prior company, so I am likely saving money this way if I factor my time.

The tools, especially the email invoices are a foundation of how my business operates now.

Square review by User in Information Technology and Services

"My Take on SQUARE"

What do you like best?

Square is a great tool. The DASHBOARD - As a user and referrer of Square, I find it "all-around" easy to use; from dashboard to clients purchasing merchandise. Even while making store purchases via Square is becoming more popular, "one merchant at a time."

What do you dislike?

Everyone hates fees. In my belief, Square should charge differently. The fee could be less than they are. Profits should come by volume of Square users do to its current popularity. Card Readers & Online Sales. That's business.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend this product for any merchant or service provider because of it's ease of use for anyone.

Currently, I refer my clients to Square. Most of my clients are people who need an e-commerce solution. Square solves that problem two ways. One - Store Integrations. Two - Creating an online store via the dashboard. I also wish there was a way to integrate products on separate pages on websites.

Square review by Tammy R.
Tammy R.

"a well-rounded product! "

What do you like best?

I really enjoy the portability and ease of use of Square. The ability to create and edit draft invoices is incredibly useful; I can update hours for a project directly into Square, saving me the extra step of tracking hours and project specifics elsewhere.

Square's payment options are great for my clients, too: it allows them to tip, save their payment method, and pay with any credit card. Overall, Square is easy to use, has a beautiful and minimal interface, and portability. I love being able to use Square on my laptop and my mobile phone (the card scanner is fantastic!)

I wonder, though, how Square is going to work now that iOS is doing without the headphone jack on its phones. Oh, no!

What do you dislike?

I don't use Square to the extent that, say, someone with a storefront would use Square, so I really don't have any dislikes with Square! I have used it for invoicing my graphic design clients, and the process has been seamless and easy from start to finish.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a small business and need a merchant account solution, Square is becoming more and more common. I see many checkout stands at restaurants, small boutique shops, and even bookstores. People are familiar with Square, and you don't have to do the traditional merchant account. Plus, end-of-year reporting options are robust. However, I'm sure there is fine print for anyone using Square at a higher level than individuals and small businesses; make sure to read the details! ;)

Being able to accept credit cards is a challenge that many small businesses face. I make sure to have my credit card scanner with me when I go to events and client offices, because the ability to say, "sure, I can take credit cards" is liberating! I've noticed Square scanners at farmer's markets and arts and crafts shows as well. Even garage sales! It's highly beneficial to offer the flexibility of taking credit cards in an increasingly cash-less world.

Square review by Lynn R.
Lynn R.

"Life is so much simpler with Square!"

What do you like best?

I can take it anywhere and have a way to charge customers.

What do you dislike?

Wish it could be used without wifi easily.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can't go wrong with this product!

Square lets me travel and always have a means to charge people for my product. I can even use this at home when people want to purchase something while visiting. Clients are familiar with Square and they don't have any problems using the software.

Square review by Lizzi B.
Lizzi B.

"Square has opened doors for our business"

What do you like best?

The square reader and ability to invoice.

What do you dislike?

That you can't customize the invoices with you own branding. That you can't toggle from account to account (we run two business and have two separate accounts)

Recommendations to others considering the product

We have tried the PayPal, Etsy and Bank of America mobile card readers and have had issues with all of them. Square seems to be leading the way in this industry. But it doesn't allow you to travel to other countries to take payment which is an issue we have run into when traveling to Canada for retail shows.

We are able to take payments remotely, charge credit cards and keep them all organized in one place.

Square review by Amy C.
Amy C.

"Simple "

What do you like best?

Square is a very good beginning software to accepting credit and debit cards for business. It is relatively easy to use and can be used anywhere thanks to the offline mode.

What do you dislike?

The costs for each transaction is still quite costly despite being a a software widely used by many small businesses today.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are many other options beyond Square such as PayPal Here. Square’s POS devices are an investment if you want to use their register and POS and have printed receipts.

Square has allowed our business to accept current forms of payment other than cash and checks out of convenience.

Square review by Lynn S.
Lynn S.

"Easy and professional way to collect payments for all size businesses."

What do you like best?

I like that Square is easy and flexible to use and it is adding new features that allow my business to grow.

What do you dislike?

That you cannot initiate payments via computer. There also needs to better integrations with e-commerce platforms.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have been with Square since they started. It provides quick and easy payment processing at a competitive price. They now have invoicing and instant deposits which is great.

Collecting money from customers. Fast and easy payment processing

Square review by Administrator in Music
Administrator in Music

"Square: Making My Life Easy!"

What do you like best?

The Square App is incredibly convenient; I like that I can accept payments literally through my phone with just a small device. Square allows me to build my own pricing blocks and control how I use it.

What do you dislike?

Honestly? Not much. The percentage fee Square charges me is very low compared to other similar systems.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have been personally using Square for three years, and it’s a great fit for small and large businesses

I teach private lessons, and most of my clients prefer paying with a credit card versus a written check, so Square allows me to track both forms of payment very efficiently.

Square review by Heather H.
Heather H.

"Easy To Use, Easy To Set Up."

What do you like best?

The card reader is the best. I also like that it is easy to use and set up. I highly suggest you sign up if you need to process transactions smoothly.

What do you dislike?

Nothing whatsoever. I like everything. It is perfect the way it is.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you follow the prompts to set your account up fully.

I do not have to worry about getting multiple account to process all of my business transactions. I can do everything in a few short steps with Square.

Square review by JEFF W.
JEFF W.

"The Number One Business tool for small Business owners"

What do you like best?

I simply like the fact that it is cheap easy to use and most of all free to get a square reader sent to you... tHE APP IS Convenient and the dashboard on the desktop and mobile that shows the graphs are phenomenal... I love it, and i have been using it for over 5 years and never had a single charge back....

What do you dislike?

To be perfectly honest there is nothing i don't dislike.... There customer support is everything and the direct deposit program is hands down one of the best i have ever used and seen in my life... I have wen through and tested alot of programs and placements and readers but hands down square is the best.... The learnign curve was a little tricky back when i started but in the past few years they have came such a long way....

Recommendations to others considering the product

To be perfectly honest i recommend this app at least 200 times a year between trade shows and everything else....

On the go payments without the hassle of trying to pull out my computer and type in there information to paypal and then wait on a confirmation number and also when we are working tradeshows it allows for faster and easier selling and also taking payments for jobs deposits and down payments and it also works for goods and services with the functionality of sending SMS and email based receipts for the product and services being rendered at the time..... by doing this, the problem that most providers have is the fact they get alot of charge-backs for this and its simply not a problem for us because of all the functionality that it has built into the program and app....

also when they came out with the entire POS terminal it became a game changer in the market for small businesses like Mine... It allows for use on the ipad with a stand so that we can use a cash drawer and credit card processor aka square and then get the money the next day or the day after and with the reports that it generates it allows for sales forecasting which isnt a easy thing to do or get right in our type of business

Square review by Matthew G.
Matthew G.

"The most simple way to get in-person payments, and low fees"

What do you like best?

Let me start by saying I've already referred 4 others to square because I live it so much. The reader is free, the UI is simple to understand and quick to set up. Setting up my account and payment info was hassle free, and if you're referred or refer others you get thousands in free processing. I use this for my business as well as for personal payments, if someone owes me money for a lunch, etc. they live being able to pay me via credit. It also amazes people when we take payments via our phones and tablets. Overall a great product, and the fees are much lower than paypal, etc because the physical card is present. Win win.

Also like how every credit card provider is the same fee so we don't have to reject Amex or anything like that.

What do you dislike?

I wish the low processing fees applied to invoicing as well. Also the new POS solutions that take pin and chip cards or tap to pay are more costly but these cards are the norm in Canada. I hope going forward there is a free chip solution like the current square reader.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it for free! Get referred so your first processing up to $1000 will be free so there's no risk. Setup took under ten minutes and the reader arrived really fast. Make sure you request signage from your dashboard!

Taking payments in person used to require an expensive rental of a POS terminal. High fees and monthly fees, and scaling cost if you need more than one. Every employee has a smartphone and square readers are free (they even come with branding stickers etc.). Now we give out free readers and payments can be collected for just the square fees.

Square review by Shavonta R.
Shavonta R.

"Love Square!"

What do you like best?

I like how there are multiple apps that square works with to make running a business flow smoothly. It's convenient to be able to load new products directly in to the register with click of a button.

What do you dislike?

I do not like how long it takes for new items loaded into square to show up in the Shopventory app linked to Square. I also dislike that you are not able to insert a quantity of items directly into square to feed over into the inventory system.

Square provides information about net sales at the end of a business day immediately so I don't have to wait for it to be calculated and come back to check it later.

Square review by Administrator in Education Management
Administrator in Education Management

"User Friendly, Easy Funds"

What do you like best?

Setting up a store on Square is extremely easy and user friendly. It easily allows discounts to be added, a choice to automatically tax items and flexibility to pay for customers. Funds are received usually within 24 hours and the service charge is minimal and very comparable to other like services such as PayPal.

What do you dislike?

The only complaint I have about Square is that it is currently not linked to our online store making inventory a bit tricky when selling both in person and online.

We have given people the option to pay multiple ways and no longer need to be a cash only business. We can also be paper free and still send customer reciepts!

Square review by Corey B.
Corey B.

"Easy to utilize as an all in 1 shopping cart & inventory system"

What do you like best?

Can manage inventory in 1 pot from both a website and POS standpoint or on the go utilizing your mobile phone.

What do you dislike?

Wish there were more options for customizing your website iframe, its a little limited as it is.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its easy to use, quick to setup and offers a ton of options from a web level to mobile level to POS level. I've used it from setting up a webstore to using it as a bartender at large festivals. Worked great in all implementations.

Controlling inventory in 1 singular spot for both web use, in store and pop up shows only utilizing your phone.

Square review by Michael G.
Michael G.

"Sweet Suite of Cool POS Tools for Small Business"

What do you like best?

Square is more than simply swiping credit cards - its best feature is analytics, providing easy-to-read data that can help grow any small business, small coffee shops especially.

What do you dislike?

Managing inventory via square is a bit clumsy and awkward at times. The strength of the software lies in the simple, user-friendly interface, which makes the process of training one employee to the next a breeze.

Square's software and streamlined analytics have helped our small coffee shop to keep a proverbial finger on the pulse of customer demand - that is, what products are selling the fastest, what products yield the best margin, etc.

Square review by Khara P.
Khara P.

"Simplify your life, use Square!"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, people are always delighted to see it, makes me look technologically savvy, I also never lose out on money if someone only has a credit card to pay me with.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it is slow, or I swipe and it doesn't go through and then I have to cxl, and then it charges twice.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're freelancing, an independent contractor or someone who has their own business, definitely use this as a way to get paid and on time!

Working as a freelancer, contractor, and working for myself, and getting paid right away.

Square review by Rhonda L.
Rhonda L.

"Square is awesome!"

What do you like best?

I love how simple it is to take payments for goods and services. I can either connect the reader or manually enter the card numbers. Changed my sales for sure!

What do you dislike?

Some of the newer equipment is a little expensive but they do have some on payment plans. I just wish the prices were not to high.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do It! You cannot go wrong. Even if you don't use it all the time, there is no penalty and no monthly fees. Win win!

I can take payments on the go! I can do vendor shows and take credit cards with no problem!

Square review by Dean E.
Dean E.

"Great for payments"

What do you like best?

Easy to use tool in order to accept payments with a credit card. Not sure of any other company that does this because Square does it so well.

What do you dislike?

Unable to use if you do not have a head jack on your phone (like how Apple has removed them from their devices). They should product a product that is able to use the charging port as the connector.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it! It's the best decision for making transactions with a credit card.

They've solved how to make transactions without a whole POS system. Benefits are quicker and easier transactions without complicated rules and regulations.

"Best POS system"

What do you like best?

Square is so easy to use and setup as well as take