Squarespace

Squarespace is an easy way for anyone to create an exceptional website.

Work for Squarespace?

Learning about Squarespace?

Squarespace Reviews

Ask Squarespace a Question
Showing 726 Squarespace reviews
Squarespace review by Caitlyn L.
Caitlyn L.

"Squarespace is the Best!"

What do you like best?

Squarespace can be as simple or difficult to use as the user wants to make it! When I first started, it was as easy as dragging and dropping the elements that I wanted to use, but now I'm getting into adding custom coding.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I find the website settings difficult to find. I feel like squarespace could make their setting navigation a little bit more user friendly. I find myself scrolling up and down the page or even googling how to find a setting, when it should be very easy to find.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Put time and effort into your trial! Once you get to know the product, you are either going to love it or hate it, but you won't know until you use it!

Squarespace hosts my website, which is very important! I need my clients to be able to get to know me and my photography before they even submit an inquiry. Squarespace helps me do that.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Squarespace
Squarespace review by Daniel Shatzkes CEO  M.
Daniel Shatzkes CEO M.

"Squarespace is great, easy and clean but has many limitations"

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to get started with Squarespace and how simple it is to create a website. The templates look great and the back end user functionality is great. The analytics they offer are easy to understand and give great insight. I was able to seamlessly incorporate Sumo into my Squarespace site allowing me to make use of their services easily. The integration with Stripe and PayPal for credit card payment processing make it a breeze to set up an e-commerce site.

What do you dislike?

When it comes to the Commerce packages there are some limitations that may lead you to look at other providers. IN particular the one beef I have with Squarespace Commerce is that you cannot choose different shipping rates for different products. You can choose different carrier and service rates (like Ground, Priority, Express, etc.). But you can only have ONE ground rate or ONE express rate. So if you sell two completely different products that are different sizes and weights, you cannot create different shipping prices for each of them. It's incredibly frustrating and that alone is leading me towards probably switching over to a different service in the near future.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you don't need to be running an e-commerce site then Squarespace is an excellent choice. The templates and ease of getting set up is fantastic. If you are doing e-commerce and are only selling a digital product or a single physical product the Squarespace will also be a great option. If you're selling more than one product of different sizes and weights, you may want to look into other options due to the limitations on setting shipping prices.

Squarespace allowed me to set up an e-commerce site relatively quick and easily. Integrations with many other platforms make automation for order taking and shipping painless and easy. I've found Squarespace is increasingly being included as an integration partner with more and more third party services so it does make using it easier and more efficient.

What Website Builder solution do you use?

Squarespace review by Nathan M.
Nathan M.

"A Useful Tool for an Inexperienced User"

What do you like best?

Using Squarespace to redo our website saved us a significant amount of money and provided us control over our presences on the webl. I like how I can quickly upload pictures, add new landing pages for advertisements, and create a smoothly working and streamlined website. The embedded Gsuite capabilities also make it very easy to maintain our business emails.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve is initially pretty steep and everything was a bit confusing to start. However, Squarespace officers great tutorials on how to do things and it does what I need to it do.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for a new company who needs to control their presence on the web.

We had an older version of a website built in Wordpress hosted by GoDaddy that we did not have the internal capability to keep updated. Squarespace allows us to manage our own site and update when we need to while saving money.

Squarespace review by Jennifer B.
Jennifer B.

"Some issues, but ways to work them out. "

What do you like best?

Overall, I like the current platform of squarespace. It is easy to navigate throughout the different settings and things you can add to your website page. For example, I can choose to add a form, picture, video, text, social media content, online scheduling calendar, make specific pages not available in the main navigation, but so they are available when you click on a button, audio, map, newsletter, and charts.

What do you dislike?

There is only one major issue that I had with squarespace and that was with our tracking codes and how squarespace is not as easily compatible with them. One tracking code that WordStream installed on our site that included the "|" completely took our site offline and then the other tracking code from Google Ads double counted conversions, no matter how we installed it or the settings we choose for the tracking code.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are installing tracking codes, I highly recommend you do some online research before you install them, to make sure that you install them in a way that is compatible with squarespace. We had issues with squarespace and a couple of our tracking codes, one of the codes made the site go completely offline and the other one double counted conversions, so if only one person submitted a form on the website, then it AdWords counted it as two people.

The business problems we are solving with Squearspace is that we are giving customers the ability to read more about our company, the services we offer, and the benefit of our services that we offer before they contact us to schedule a consultation.

Squarespace review by Shelby B.
Shelby B.

"Beautiful designs and lots of versatility"

What do you like best?

The Squarespace designers definitely have their collective finger on the pulse of contemporary web design – chances are if you've seen a cool hero image placement or parallax design, Squarespace will have a template to match. Pretty easy to get started, especially with all the templates and suggested page layouts available. It's also essentially unbreakable, which for someone without an extensive background in web design makes the design process much more fun instead of frustrating.

Also, GREAT set of tutorial pages and videos – covers basically every question and gets specific on how certain features function on individual templates.

What do you dislike?

While Squarespace usually hits the sweet spot between speed of putting together a website and customization, about once per site I design I'll run up against the guardrails of what a particular template permits. Usually I'm able to find a creative workaround, but when there are three separate ways of showing a lot of images on a page (gallery page, a page with an image template and a page with a gallery inserted) and NONE of them do exactly what I want, that can be frustrating.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a shot! As a designer I find it easy but non-designers will be able to make great websites as well.

As a freelance designer, being able to offer a simple web design option to my clients who are asking for identity design allows me to increase my revenue. Squarespace allows me to spend more of my design time figuring out what works best for my client, vs. spending hours trying to figure out how to do it.

Squarespace review by Constance C.
Constance C.

"Perfect for quick & low-skill required online exposure"

What do you like best?

- User-interface is very intuitive, sleek and well-divided.

- All templates are aesthetically pleasing and professional.

- Price and plans are reasonable for the service it offers. (It cost more than WordPress and less than hiring someone to build from scratch)

- It's fast. It only took me a weekend before my website goes live

- Quite a big range of domains you can choose from

- Appear well for mobile and tablets

What do you dislike?

- The control over the templates is limited, and more controls require the premium plan. I remember that was not the case a few years ago.

- Encounter sever down one time

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to quickly whip up a professional looking website for portfolio purposes and don't have to much time to juggle different codes, but still don't want pay for someone to do it, Squarespace is the way to go.

- Establish a professional presence online and personal branding

- Showcase my work in a user-friendly manner

Squarespace review by Jenny M.
Jenny M.

"Aesthetic and straightforward but not very flexible design-wise"

What do you like best?

This is the "high-fashion" version of WordPress and Wix. All the themes are clear, aesthetic, and like filling in blank spaces with your own words. If you're clueless in all things design, Squarespace takes your hand and leads you through creating your website without veering too far off from the theme.

You can change style colours, fonts, and add all sorts of paid add-ons if you're building an e-commerce site. I like the analytics page and the SEO page where you can add keywords you want to be found for. It's also very easy to integrate your own domain even if you got it elsewhere like GoDaddy or WordPress. If you don't have a domain, Squarespace lets you create one "free" with your paid plan.

There is an image editor built in so you can add filters, crop it, and other basic editing functions.

There is a trial version you can use, but you can't publish your website until you pay for a subscription.

What do you dislike?

You can't copy and paste a section, you have to re-do the entire section all over again. The predetermined widgets are also very rigid and you can't really customize them unless you know HTML/CSS.

Not being able to change the color of button text or change text color for individual places is definitely a limitation. I also don't see how to add alt text to images.

The price is rather high in comparison to other platforms.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want something clean, modern, and hard to get wrong, this will do nicely.

Professional website for my business. Looks very clean and modern.

Squarespace review by Gabriel J.
Gabriel J.

"Simplicity and Ease For the Small Businessperson"

What do you like best?

I have always appreciated squarespace's user interface and quality of design templates. Squarespace has always been a cut above other website building platforms to me because of the constant updating, and variety of complex and cutting edge websites ready to be customized.

What do you dislike?

The price is still significantly higher than some other platforms. While I have stayed with squarespace for years, the price has always been a point of disappointment. I also wish it was easier to embed video content into backgrounds across multiple templates, and the mobile previews and mobile design crossover were better integrated.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Squarespace beats out other web building solutions, in my opinion. Squarespace can give you a wealth of exciting options to carry your business' web presence. As i stated before, I am in love with the new templates. The integration of video injection and moving content has sent them over the top for me. The integration of analytics and some cursory web traffic features is exciting and helpful. All in all, I think it's a smart choice for any small business looking to truly have an attractive website.

My business needs a website. Squarespace makes it easy for a novice web designer to build a visually pleasing place to showcase art, work, and portfolio items in a flattering and modern style. With a good eye and few hours to learn all the bells and whistles anyone can make a beautiful website in a matter of hours.

Squarespace review by Jennifer L.
Jennifer L.

"Great Alternative to WordPress"

What do you like best?

No more updating widgets every month - your website is hosted and maintained by Squarespace. If your website is having problems, so is theirs so they are on top of it! The support and visuals are amazing.

What do you dislike?

It can be difficult to find a qualified Squarespace developer or expert to help you get set up and started. I think there's a community board to find someone but I can't remember.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're tired of updating widgets or the high cost of WordPress, take a look at Squarespace.

I am using it for my website. I set up a landing page after each of my public talks so I can capture leads from the talks. They go right into my email software I'm using. The automation is really helpful for a small business.

Squarespace review by Sarah F.
Sarah F.

"Recent switch to Squarespace"

What do you like best?

We recently switched to Squarespace. I am not the main administrator, but I do create pages, forms, edit the calendar, edit pages, etc. I like that it is so easy to use and intuitive, which allows someone like me who can not write code, to still edit and create pages on our website. I like that it allows moving images on the banner we have on our front page, which makes it more aesthetically pleasing and allows us to keep things up to date. There are many features that allow our people to interact with the website itself.

What do you dislike?

I do wish the calendar feature allowed events to not merely be copied but span a time frame, for example, a recurring event that happens once a week for 12 weeks. It is tedious to have to copy each event. I also wish the website itself was more customizable, although it does serve its purpose for most of our needs. It would be nice to have graphics that can be highlighted or clicked on that allow more text to appear/open in a new window. Perhaps this exists and i am unaware or we have a more basic package.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Squarespace works great for our organization and is a big upgrade from what we used before and many other websites I see out there. It is relatively customizable and allows us to make it unique to our organization and carry our "DNA" even into our webpage. It allows our people to interact with us through content we add on the webpage for them or them to reach out to us.

We use Squarespace as the main website for our organization, which is a church. People can go on to listen to sermons, check our calendar, view our online bulletin, view small group questions, view what is going on, click a link that direct them to sign up for events, studies, etc. and take notes on the sermon and have it emailed to them. We like that it allows people to interact with it and do so much,

Squarespace review by Edmond L.
Edmond L.

"Fantastic platform for a polished web presence "

What do you like best?

The assortment of designs and ease of use help me get the look of a beautiful site without hours of work or the need to hire a designer. The interface to change the design/layout is effortless to navigate. Squarespace also updates their templates on a regular basis so you can keep your page looking fresh and on point with the current trends.

What do you dislike?

I don't have anything negative to say about Squarespace. I've been using them for about four years and don't see an end in sight. I guess the ability to generate contracts and invoices through my site, instead of just selling fix-priced items, would be nice. But that isn't a deal breaker for me by a long shot. I'm sure that would just increase the cost to use it, which I wouldn't like.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you check around for a promo code. Squarespace is a sponsor of the Podcast Comedy Bang Bang so they usually offer a promo code for new customers.

I'm creating an online presence to showcase my work and providing information on contacting me as well as my rates.

Squarespace review by Cameron N.
Cameron N.

"Anyone can master website design with Squarespace"

What do you like best?

The ease of use of Square is the best. As someone in a marketing and communications field, saying anyone can master design is nothing something I take lightly. Squarespace makes design easy so the world has many more interesting and visually pleasing websites– GeoCities this is not! It's important to come to Squarespace account with content in-hand. You'll likely be impressed by all of their templates and would like to have your site completed as soon as possible. Squarespace isn't a replacement for nice content, come in knowing what you want to convey and use your account to achieve that goal.

What do you dislike?

When formatting text, Squarespace can occasionally have some issues in the user interface, it is difficult but not impossible to mirror formatting across the site. Calendar functions could use some help and some reservation options would be nice to build out options. We use our site as a source for current members and prospective members for a rowing organization, having expanded integration would help us segment our users.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There isn't much else out there to be a one-stop-shop for website building, hosting and even commerce. Try it.

Transitioned a rowing website from a lack-luster Wordpress template to Squarespace so people would actually use the site. We needed to combine a news site, blog, calendar and boat reservation system. Squarespace allowed us to bring what we needed into one central location. Our site (toledorowing.org) is nice and shiny.

Squarespace review by Richard E.
Richard E.

"SquareSpace is the best for those looking for an inexpensive website"

What do you like best?

The best feature of Squarespace is the fact that anyone, even those without any web development experience whatsoever. 20 years ago, it was very considered a very desirable skill to be able to create a website. However, these days, the expected quality is much higher, and a high quality service such as Squarespace makes this possible.

What do you dislike?

While Squarespace offers a lot of options for growth, the only problem with the service is that it can quickly become expensive if you depend on their merchant system and build your entire business off of their service. I would say the service is better for businesses looking to make a simple and clean site, not a fully fledged e-commerce experience

Recommendations to others considering the product

As long as you don't intend to build a marketplace using Squarespace, it is the way to go.

Squarespace is what we used to primarily design our website for Harding Software. It has made the process dramatically easier, with the most notable benefit being that we did not have to hire a web developer to create a website. We avoided the issue of high costs by not hosting any of our transaction features on the website.

Squarespace review by Jacqueline D.
Jacqueline D.

"Great Software to Create Beautiful Websites"

What do you like best?

Squarespace really takes care of all options for you. You can create your own domain, your own email, and an ad free website all in one place, which was a huge plus for me. There are many different layouts to choose from that are able to serve various different needs and services. The analytics are awesome and really help me understand what people are interacting with on my website. They even offer a google adwords credit for signing up! I think this is the best platform for creating your own website, making it look professional, and avoiding paying someone thousands of dollars to do it for you.

What do you dislike?

It is fairly difficult to customize within certain layouts, and the process is clunky, with having to go to a different 'design' tab to do so. The pricing is moderate but you get what you pay for!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Watch all of the video tutorials!!!! Even watch a few before getting started. I consider myself fairly tech savvy but I had a lot of trouble trying to figure it out myself without help. Watch some videos first to avoid getting frustrated like I did!

It has helped me create a beautiful website to help drive my business. 100% of my business so far has come from people online and interacting with my website.

Squarespace review by Leanna W.
Leanna W.

"Here you can choose what suits you"

What do you like best?

A large number of beautiful and modern templates. There are many categories for creating a website: food, music, fashion, wedding, etc., you will definitely find something for yourself. Allows you to change the template without knowing the programming. The program interface is easy in its work. Customer service always works well. If there are questions they quickly and professionally answer on them.

What do you dislike?

I would like that the cost would be lower. Some customers need to change the functions and settings of having templates, but this can not be done. In my work on the program, I did not encounter any problems.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a beautiful and quality website then Squarespace will help you in this. The site that you create will appeal to all your visitors. Try it and you will understand that the Squarespace is really good.

I use the program to create sites to order. I do my job quickly and easily with Squarespace. Customers are satisfied, as it is easy enough to manage the site, and it works perfectly.

Squarespace review by Anthony S.
Anthony S.

"I sold custom websites for a design agency. Squarespace is better."

What do you like best?

Great UX, great documentation, smart (if limited) integrations, a lot of power lurking beneath the turn-key products.

What do you dislike?

The commerce product is still baking. Shopify is better at bulk inventory management, payment processing, shipping, and fulfillment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

While Squarespace positions itself as a consumer/DIY product, the benefits the platform offers as a white-label SMB product are already powerful and evolving consistently. The Circle program lights a path to a thriving development community that can guide future iterations of the platform.

Squarespace lets me deliver SMB clients a sophisticated, data-driven content strategy without the expense of a from-scratch agency website or the poor quality of the DIY, my-niece-has-a-friend-at-college-who-does-websites product. While turn-key Squarespace sites ensure that I can provide an attractive, reliable, basic website to my clients, the real power comes in the integrations (MailChimp, Acuity, OpenTable, etc), easy CSS injections, and the deceptively powerful collections functionality (blogs, galleries, calendars, and summaries). Brass tacks: I feel confident that I can sell a Squarespace site, including content strategy and monthly marketing retainer, against agencies charging 2X or 3X for similar white-label or custom-built products to SMBs.

Squarespace review by Zack G.
Zack G.

"Create your interface with big ability working tools."

What do you like best?

This platform gives me anything that I need to operate my company. Also, I like that I don't have limits on the number of items or services I can sell. Plus, I can list products with a plural option. The solution helps our business increase.

What do you dislike?

I can discuss a lot about this software but I will not complain about it. As I know that software is full of organized tools and I will tell that to understand them is not very easy special for people who are just starting to use it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

With this software, your shop will be organized to accept PayPal and Apple Pay which is really very great. You will have alternative payment service are fast and easy, saving clients time and issue in more sales for us. Create your efficient ideas work for all your company.

We can engage with products across included videos, pictures, related items, and much more. With a faster view, we can quickly study the product and add them. We are have the ability to create more creative work in our online shop.

Squarespace review by Shayla O.
Shayla O.

"Overall Highly Recommend "

What do you like best?

There were many options for both free and paid themes; the learning curve wasn't horrible and fairly easy for beginners to use. There's a chance to really go big with your business/website using Squarespace! The themes are easy to manipulate and rearrange to best fit your business needs. I also like how much storage is included - I haven't had any issues with the speed of the site loading even though I have many high-quality images on my page. It's great for photographers! Plus, the customer service is great! Kirstyn was helping me a lot recently and it was painless and in the end everything worked out great!

What do you dislike?

It's hard to get straight-forward help. I emailed a few times about finding a list of people who subscribed prior to me linking a MailChimp account and never got the help I needed. I was only referred to blog posts about it, which I had already read and didn't find helpful. It's hard to get good analytics; actually almost impossible to get useful ones unless you use Google Analytics. Lastly, the cost is a bit premium. There are probably cheaper options out there but since I started my website using this app it's just way easier to maintain it. I don't have the resources/time to change to a cheaper version - although a cheaper version like WordPress also has limits tot he pages/set-up which also prevented me from switching.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Set up the subscriber list right away or take it off, depending on the theme, or you'll lose some subscribers' names. Also make it easier to download content - like blog posts - because I needed copies of my posts and I had to go back in and manually copy and paste the content.

I'm able to brand myself and my personal business better by having all of my work (photography and writing) in one location, while making it look professional! The subscriber list is great, so now I can reach out to people who visit my site. I never thought of using that before until I joined Squarespace.

Squarespace review by Carlos S.
Carlos S.

"Easy to make high quality websites"

What do you like best?

Squarespace is 1) simple to use and understand. It offers intuitive customizations to add your own images, change layouts and colors. 2) Cost effective. A basic site is less than $20 per month. 3) They link to other tools like Google Analytics and your domain registrar (eg GoDaddy)

What do you dislike?

There are times when I wish greater customization for layouts and organizing elements on a site page were easier.

Recommendations to others considering the product

While other services like Wordpress are out there and cost-effective, I do not find it as easy to use. So be honest about what your own capabilities are to design and manage a site. There is nothing more frustrating than wanting to make changes or updates and not being able to do so, or needing to wait days for changes to be put through.

Every business needs a website and a web presence. We have saved significant money every month, over time it is hundreds of dollars per year.

Squarespace review by Stefanie M.
Stefanie M.

"Well designed templates, Easy use"

What do you like best?

I like the varied templates that are available for your use, as well as the ease of utilizing those templates and tools to customize a website that meets your needs. Pretty intuitive set-up. Squarespace has made having a professional looking website a reality for a very reasonable cost point.

What do you dislike?

The downside is that when you would like to make significant changes, you might reach a dead end (or at least a dead end for someone who isn't a developer). I am also having some issues with finding a good solution in utilizing a database that integrates.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Squarespace offers elegant and an eclectic mix of template designs for your website. This is easy to use and quite cost effective. I am on the board of directors for a nonprofit and it was a no-brainer to use this as a solution to move our communication needs and brand forward.

We needed a website facelift to bring us into 2018 and Squarespace delivers that possibility.

Squarespace review by Iona M.
Iona M.

"Create useful and comfortable site with the big amount of working tools"

What do you like best?

It completely suits me. I like this simple and proven way to present my concept online. Stand out with a powerful website or online shop. The big step to create my site uncommon with customizable installation, including fonts, coloration, and page fashion. Perfectly works for a long time for all my solutions.

What do you dislike?

The service doesn't bring any bugs and problems. Step by step I learned all existing tools in Squarespace. Yes, I can't say that it is easy from the begin. Maybe will be better to have a more open way of using the tools.

Recommendations to others considering the product

100% that I recommend this service. You will have the opportunity to work more productive. Using this tool is a super easy and don't need any professional skills for it. Also, the software has a lot of attractive tools. Let your productive ideas work for you.

The powerful platform which will make a better and open way of creating websites and can save your working time. With Squarespace we made our online store alive.

Squarespace review by James S.
James S.

"Great Platform Quick Standard Website Builds"

What do you like best?

The code embed block and extra space block save me time constantly. With the code block, I can embed integrations directly that Squarespace has not already built an integration for. And with the space block, I can very quickly add vertical or horizontal padding to content (space between the element and the surrounding elements) on the page without adding an extra code block with a div with padding on it.

What do you dislike?

Extremely standardized look of templates

Recommendations to others considering the product

Squarespace will give you a very clean professional site in a short amount of time. However your site will start to always look like every other Squarespace site in some subtle ways after you've worked in the platform for a few months. To stand out, you'll still need a creative designer, but I still recommend this platform as on of the best to get up and going quickly.

Love the customer support for squarespace sites; however, the rate at which they create new integrations with new rising platforms is so slow it sets them behind. If not for the embed block, Squarespace would be almost unusable in some scenarios. For example, several clients use different booking platforms that the folks at Squarespace have never heard of, nor plan to ever integrate into the platform.

Squarespace review by Douglass E.
Douglass E.

"Great tool to increase a good work at the online store."

What do you like best?

I like that very much. As it helps me with my sale. Perfect when you are working on the online store. A good chance to sale faster all my items. Support service is really nice and takes care of you. They will make your working day much simple. All of the things are working right and fast. This is exactly what I need.

What do you dislike?

Not all elements in the design are located conveniently, as I would like. Also sometimes there are not enough tools to do something special.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great to make your business really work. Helps to your team work better and more concentrated. With one click your web can be interactive. Squarespace gives the ability to create more useful web and easy way for you to present all your ideas. With this software you you will have all powerful tools for your online store.

We are using that platform and work with this tools every day. I know and I feel that I have more customers than ever. Great software to develop your business. I like it very much.

Squarespace review by Nia H.
Nia H.

"I LOVE SQUARESPACE!"

What do you like best?

I love that I can customize my own website without knowing any coding whatsoever… My website looks beautiful and it's very user-friendly to change. The software is very up-and-coming and always has updates… They definitely keep up with the Jones' on what they offer to their clientele

What do you dislike?

There's not too much that I dislike about this website creator. I would prefer not to have to pay the annual charge, but everyone's got to make money. I have used Wix as well in the past, and it's great for a free website creator option, but I definitely prefer square space

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely recommend the software. I recommend paying for it if you have a business. I purchase the cheapest version available and total love and all the capabilities. The subscription has increased by $10 each year which I've continued to pay, but my website is absolutely gorgeous and easy to manage and design!

I definitely solve the problem of getting my information out there and advertising. The benefits are endless for having your own professional website for your business. A great plus for me, I was not having to have someone design my site for me and to be able to do it myself.

Squarespace review by Rainee T.
Rainee T.

"A Little Pricey, But the Best Solution I've Found "

What do you like best?

I'm not exactly new at building websites, but I'm definitely not the type to build one from the ground up (besides lacking the skills, it just doesn't sound fun to me). Squarespace gives me just enough to feel like I'm making a really custom, functional website, without having to start from scratch or know *a lot* of code. It's an outlet for my creativity without being a burden.

What do you dislike?

The price isn't terrible, but it does add up after awhile (especially when you're already paying for a domain name). And the customization is perfect for me, but it is a template-based platform so it might not give everyone all the features they'd like.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend that anyone thinking of using Squarespace demo competitors like Wordpress and Wix, to get a feel for the variety out there. To me, Squarespace gave the most polished results with the least headache but it may not meet every customer's needs.

I've created a well-designed portfolio that showcases my work as a marketing professional! I also use it to help manage my colleague's small nonprofit website.

Squarespace review by Cara M.
Cara M.

"Not for people that know what they're doing"

What do you like best?

Squarespace has some nice templates and is fairly user friendly if you don't have very specific ideas about what your site should look like and you don't need it to do much other than advertise your business.

What do you dislike?

The drag and drop functionality of the templates is very frustrating. You can't always get elements to go where you want them to go and you are stuck with a rigid column-based layout dictated by your template. If you want one section of text to be a different color than the colors specified in your styles for whatever reason, you must use custom CSS code to make that happen. E-commerce has limitations as well if you're selling experiences (like tickets to an event, for instance) instead of physical products. If you have experience with custom web development and design, you will probably find Squarespace frustrating and limiting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are other wysiwyg editors that are more user friendly.

I've used Squarespace to quickly set up websites for small businesses. The site is competitively priced and is easy for a web design novice to use.

Squarespace review by Lia R.
Lia R.

"Wonderfully user-friendly website builder!"

What do you like best?

My favourite thing about Squarespace is the versatility - if you don't have a lot of coding experience, you can still create a basic website. However, if you have the knowledge, it still allows you to inject your own code so you can add some more advanced things to your website.

What do you dislike?

I completely understand why this is the case, but I would say that something I dislike is the support staff's rule that they never even try to help you with a problem if it remotely involves any code that you wrote yourself.

I have used Squarespace for the past three years to run my tutoring business. It has allowed me to showcase everything about my business as well as allow students to book with tutors right online!

Squarespace review by Shannon M.
Shannon M.

"Great display of photos"

What do you like best?

It is very simple to create a site to showcase your photography work. Affordable monthly plans but there are cheaper options. If you prefer minimalistic, clean, chic designs and that your website is more graphics, imagery-oriented, definitely consider Squarespace.

What do you dislike?

The sites built can end up all looking the same. You need to dig a little for ways to make your work stand out compared to other Squarespace users. You can upload your own design. But most of Squarespace’s appeal lies in the fact that they have a huge selection of design templates. Facebook retargeting and other options are buried in Advanced Settings. They have to be added and tested through the Code Injector tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Shop around, see if you like the layouts first. The cost is a little steep compared to format

Now in photojournalism, you have to have your work showcased in an online format. This website builder helps any starter look like a professional.

Squarespace review by Megan N.
Megan N.

"I Probably Wouldn't Be a Web Designer Without Squarespace"

What do you like best?

I love how easily Squarespace makes working with clients. I can give them billing access without full access, and can hand over ownership with just a few clicks once completed. The 24-hour support is also wonderful and so important for my clients to have. The look and feel is very modern, so it's hard to make an outdated website with this platform.

What do you dislike?

I really don't dislike much about this platform! I would say that sometimes it feels difficult to customize the templates, and I have to use code quite often. This isn't all bad though because the work I do to heavily personalize templates makes me a more advanced and successful designer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just go for it! Start a 14 day trial and explore its features.

Squarespace is my entire web design business, so the problems I solve with this program are the design problems that clients come to me with.

Squarespace review by Ryan E.
Ryan E.

"Beautiful templates, mostly customizable."

What do you like best?

Unlike many other web templates I've found, Squarespace puts a premium on design. Clean, modern layouts (that don't require a coding background to customize), an emphasis on the content (written or visual), and most are supremely customizable. Want to change your template mid-stream? No problem. And quite reasonably-priced, as well.

A decent knowledge of CSS also opens up more opportunities for customization, but even without this, a little bit of time, web-savviness and (most critically) a good eye makes it possible to create professional-looking websites easily.

What do you dislike?

Squarespace's blogging platform isn't bad, but it's certainly not as robust as Wordpress's. And while the Wordpress has a robust open-source ecosystem with more plugins than you'll ever find the time to use, Squarespace takes a page from Apple's book with more of a closed system: more limited, although it tends to "just work."

New feature requests appear to fall on deaf ears much of the time... for example, the ability to create a recurring calendar event -- something seemingly basic -- was requested by myself and numerous other users, but for years went unheeded. (It is possible this has been remedied by now, but since I no longer use that feature, I am unsure.)

Recommendations to others considering the product

In my opinion, it's the best option for people looking for pretty, easy-to-use, functional websites. Those looking for a full-fledged web development platform should look elsewhere.

As a photographer, my Squarespace site showcased my images beautifully. Since my website and blogging were my primary marketing channels, this was critical, and it did the trick.

Squarespace review by Cephas T.
Cephas T.

"Squarespace is the Go to for Any Small Business Owner in Need of an Online Presence"

What do you like best?

I really like how simple the overall platform is to pick up and implement, with that being said with proper planning and an eye for design you can really build beautiful fully immersive sites that keep potential customers on your site.

What do you dislike?

My only complaint is the way some of your graphics and other web elements end up rendering after the initial design of the website. During my second website build I found myself spending considerable time rerendering graphics in order to get everything to fit, which is a little different than working with elements in wordpress.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider pairing this product with a graphic design software like Canva, it will make the design aspect of building your website a lot easier. It also helps to have some background in coding, but it is still possible to build a fully functioning website with no prior knowledge at all. The squarespace knowledge base is pack with helpful articles, pictures, examples, and animations to help you succeed.

It allowed me to give my own business a website presence as well as to do the same for my mother's real estate business. Not only was I able to easily implement graphics, videos, and music on to my artist site, but with the help of the squarespace knowledge base I have been able to solve multiple problems across multiple industries with squarespace. From real estate to digital marketing, this platform can take care of your needs.

Squarespace review by Kevin M.
Kevin M.

"Very easy to use for our food blog"

What do you like best?

My wife and I used this to launch our food blog at storybookmeals.com and have since used it for several other sites and blogs. It’s easy to use and get started, the templates are intuitive. From a mobile device I can quickly load up an entry to the blog.

What do you dislike?

I do wish it was a little easier to edit the site as a whole from a mobile device and I’d like there to be more tools available to creat a periodical style layout on blog entries.

For us this has been a place where we’ve been building up content and stories for a couple upcoming book and a way to get feedback from our readers along the way.

Squarespace review by Cameron S.
Cameron S.

"Squarespace review"

What do you like best?

Squarespace is a great option for those who wish to start a website. There are a lot of formatting options so that you can design your website how you like so it doesn't look like everyone else's.

What do you dislike?

At first, Squarespace was not user-friendly to me. I had a lot of trouble figuring out what functions did what and how to generally work the website. I got a lot better once I started to play around with it. I also dislike that you cannot right click to copy and paste, but must use your keyboard function.

Recommendations to others considering the product

To users thinking about trying Squarespace, I would definitely recommend to try it. It's a great option for building a website. However, it does take some time to figure out how to build the website. If you are someone who enjoys playing around with things, then Squarespace is for you. If not, I would consider picking another website to build your website.

I have realized many benefits using Squarespace. It is easy to manage now that I've been using it for a year. My administrator gives me an invitation to edit the website, so I can log in easily and have my own account.

Squarespace review by Jared B.
Jared B.

"Squarespace is a great, easy to use and cost-effective solution"

What do you like best?

I really like using Squarespace because I do not need to know how to code in order to build a beautiful website. I can also make edits at any time very easily, without involving a developer. Not to mention, Sqaurespace is very reasonably priced. Overall, you can customize as much or little as needed.

What do you dislike?

At times finding the perfect template can be a time consuming process but with the many options available, you are bound to find an option that looks fantastic and functions with ease. I am not certain on the level of safety, especially when collecting information via forms and processing e-commerce payments.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give Squarespace a try!

It's quick solution that doesn't require weeks of web development and generally low cost. Squarespace is also a great option for a simple landing page or temporary solution. I also use Squarespace for my personal portfolio.

Squarespace review by Kelsey S.
Kelsey S.

"SquareSpace Domain"

What do you like best?

- The cost is low, $20, and you can setup automatic renewal. Also, no hidden fees!

- The domain comes with an SSL certificate and Who Is privacy

- The interface is easy to use and the help pages were actually helpful!

What do you dislike?

- The cost of an online store is very high! Therefore, it is cheap to have your own domain but very expensive to have your own website through SquareSpace.

- It took me a while to learn how to forward the domain name to another site but as noted in the likes, the help pages helped me to navigate this issue

Recommendations to others considering the product

The domain is fantastic but be sure you count the costs associated with having a store on the site.

We needed a domain for our online store. The SquareSpace Domain is ideal and comes with everything we need. Also, if we do start earning more money from the store, we can upgrade to a full website and store on SquareSpace.

Squarespace review by Kim S.
Kim S.

"Best website host for all types of businesses"

What do you like best?

The people at Squarespace have really thought of everything. There are templates for all type of businesses and styles for every personality. The benefit to Squarespace is actually it's lack of flexibility. You can customize a lot, but Squarespace keeps you within boundaries to ensure the site looks clean and functions properly. While some people may think this is a disadvantage, I've seen way too many Wordpress sites in a state of a mess due to too much freedom.

What do you dislike?

There have been just a few instances when a client will want me to customize their site in ways that the Squarespace templates do not allow. To do so would take a developer. I'd like to see better access to hiring developers for specific tasks if needed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's worth it.

I use Squarespace to host my own website, freelance graphic design and web design. I have also used Squarespace with many clients. The huge benefit with Squarespace is after I set up a site for someone and customize it, I am able to easily hand it off to them with a short instruction on how to use and update their site. Low maintenance for me.

Squarespace review by User

"Make the switch!"

What do you like best?

I switched from Wordpress to Squarespace, and will never look back! The support is incredible, the templates are modern and easy to use, and what would have taken me months in Wordpress coding took me a few days in Squarespace.

What do you dislike?

A few of the settings could be in more intuitive places. I do find that I have to Google where certain settings are from time to time. Not a major complaint, but I think something they could improve upon.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just go for it! I was reluctant, and switching up your website provider is generally a pain, but you won't regret it. I'd especially recommend the switch if you find that you need to update your site regularly.

For my industry, I need to have a modern, clean portfolio that gets updated consistently. I used to dread updating my portfolio but Squarespace has made it a lot easier. As results, I get better clients, I have a better site, and I don't have to worry about using outdated systems (Wordpress).

Squarespace review by Kelly T.
Kelly T.

"Overall good experience with squarespace"

What do you like best?

The templates and features adapt to mobile and adjust based on screen size as well automatically and the menus adjust as well. This is very beneficial. The features are easy to use. The pre-set features on the pages such as galleries, images, social links, text, etc. are user-friendly and look professional. Even though it's not fully customizable you can do a lot with the features.

What do you dislike?

You can't do coupons that are one time use. Only time frames. Some limitations with the page elements not being free moving. Country restrictions for shipping don't allow exclusions. Allowing shipping to United States only includes US territories and doesn't allow freedom to exclude or increase cost to these locations with flat rate shipping. You can't create memberships or logins.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you do a lot with your ecommerce it may not be for you with it's limitations. For the ease of use it has the features to help you create a professional site that can represent your brand well. I think it would be best for sites that would use a lot of images or galleries.

Our business needed an easy to use site for company information and ecommerce. The site was easy to set up for a marketing team without the need for a programmer. The cost was in our range for our budget. We've benefited by having a stronger web presence, having a simple way to generate some web sales, and being available through our contact us page to customers with questions or comments.

Squarespace review by Stephanie T.
Stephanie T.

"Easy Breezy, if you know what you're doing."

What do you like best?

I felt that Squarespace was a very intuitive platform. I've used wix, weebly, and wordpress, and after playing with Squarespace I feel like it was the easiest to use—and you got a GORGEOUS, modern website once you were done!

What do you dislike?

I've only worked out of templates, so that in itself has its own challenges. Their templates are beautiful, but there are constraints you can't get out of. For example, the spacing! I want 3 images with 3 columns of text centered in the page, and to do so you need to add the images, columns, and "spacers" strategically in place. Well, it's basically impossible to get it centered, because you can't adjust how large the spacers are—you're limited to certain sizes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

While it's easy to just hop in and 'go,' I would recommend spending a solid 8-hour day just playing around. Honestly, after a day, I felt comfortable with the platform.

So, I've built 2 websites on Squarespace, each of them with different styles and purposes. The biggest business problem we've solved is the ease-of-use. The learning curve is pretty small, so anybody can hop in and make some changes without messing it up. We save time since we don't have to train anyone, and you're efficient in a short amount of time.

Squarespace review by Kate V.
Kate V.

"Intuitive and easy-to-use website builder "

What do you like best?

I love the ease of use in Squarespace. It's very intuitive for people who have even a minimal knowledge of design. Both the professional and creative sites I've created in Squarespace have turned out beautifully and are highly functional as well. The customer support is amazing as well.

What do you dislike?

I love pretty much everything about Squarespace !

Recommendations to others considering the product

Build your business website or portfolio on Squarespace! It's so easy to use, and if you get stuck, their customer support is unbelievably responsive and helpful. Also, it's really relatively inexpensive for everything you get.

I've used Squarespace to create an online presence for my business, my creative work, and the work of my clients.

Squarespace review by Katy P.
Katy P.

"The best website buliding platform around"

What do you like best?

Squarespace is the most powerful and the easiest to use. It is a no-brainer for anyone looking to build a site.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were easier options for setting template colors, fonts, etc. across an entire design. Right now, you can set the same fonts and colors and elements manually, but there could be an option to trigger all of them to be the same on/off.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Start with the trial. Play around with many different templates so you know what is available to you. Play with features. Play with design blocks. Get to know the interface and the tools before you begin to pay. That way, when you're paying for it, you know you're getting what you love.

My business has a home. My Squarespace site is my business site, my home base, my blog, and my resume.

Squarespace review by John S.
John S.

"Squarespace: Not for Us!"

What do you like best?

Squarespace is a very minimalistic content management system, based in NYC. Their data centers would have been ideal for us, as well as their elegant designs. Squarespace is liquid, which would have been great for us. We would have liked to keep using the easy adaptable editor that Squarespace provided to edit the site.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately, Squarespace did not meet our needs in terms of price and flexibility. Squarespace did not let us export the site, and required a minimum payment of $12/mo, just for hosting. Squarespace did not let us use a custom domain either, and the design was not perfect, either. Plus, email transfers using MX records were too complicated, and there was no obvious option for implimenting A records to use external domains.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are using Squarespace, you must understand that Squarespace is very limiting in terms of its connectivity and adaptability. You must buy and use everything within Squarespace (domain, hosting, emails) as this would be ideal for best accessibility.

We would have solved many problems if Squarespace adapted to our needs. We were simply not able to transfer our domain to Squarespace, as Squarespace really wanted us to do. Squarespace should exist as a content management system inside GoDaddy; this could have been very helpful. The reason why Squarespace is so expensive is probably because they continue to try to exist alone; they should combine with a partner or become open source (free), or possibly both.

Squarespace review by Michael L.
Michael L.

"Website Builder That bring ease to the development space"

What do you like best?

Easy website builder, had my site up and running after weekend of designing it. It was my first choice for the student discount they initially offered, even after I used it for a year I decided to renew because of my success with my website layout and overall experience using all of the tools they offer (analytics,etc).

What do you dislike?

Not much - it allowed me to build my site pretty easily. Only thing I would suggest is I'd have an issue with building a pricing chart with coding and would love to have Squarespace build something for me to utilize.

I'm giving my business life on the internet. As an artist, a website is essentially for success and Squarespace got me off the ground on to the web right when I wanted too.

Squarespace review by Kanisa B.
Kanisa B.

"Easy way to create a beautiful website for cheap"

What do you like best?

I really like the price and beautiful website styles available.

What do you dislike?

The loading times for some of the pages is too long.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Squarespace is great for your first website. I have been using it for nearly 3 years and I am starting to see the limits of its capabilities. The sites does get converted to mobile ready but I find that the pages take much too long to load. And someone on a mobile device can quickly get impatient and navigate away from my page.

Also when posting a page (like a blog post) to social media the way the thumbnail photos appear does not correspond to your post. I have reached out to tech support on this and was told that there is not much that can be done.

The other advantages is that the site works well with google for the purposes of domain name and google analytics. And I can't say enough about the beautiful professional looking styles. Squarespace even selects the fonts based on the style of the website. Its also very easy to create new pages and add them to the homepage navigation.

I can't afford a website designer so creating a site on Squarespace fit my budget.

Squarespace review by Keith B.
Keith B.

"Several sites with exceptional results"

What do you like best?

The simplicity of building attractive sites with functionality that work across platforms.

What do you dislike?

There come limitations with any software that does so much of the upfront work for you. While able to customize to an acceptable degree, there are certain features one might like to attempt, but cannot, which for what we've used the software for, we find acceptable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Again, for most purposes, we've found the Squarespace product to be ideal for developing our Chamber page. If you're needing elaborate functionality, perhaps this won't do all you need. I'm certain for most purposes, the functionality of this platform will exceed your needs.

Most recently we developed a website for our local Chamber with the help of a graphic designer more fluent in the software than we are. We created a multi- page layout with lots of active links, which is all good, but more importantly, we've found it very easy to train our assistant to be able to update content very simply and quickly as needed. It's just much more user-friendly than other programs we've used in the past.

Squarespace review by Emily L.
Emily L.

"I'm hooked"

What do you like best?

Love how easy it is to get set up, customize, and integrate even with e-commerce stores. FInd it extremely useful to build and hand off to clients as well (given how simple its dashboard is).

What do you dislike?

Link any CMS tool it is limited. For those that are looking for a little bit more customizability or more freedom (with javascript) etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You will need some design experience beforehand, as your site won't look fully customized unless you're pre-creating images and branding for the application. You'll need access to a simple editing software to resize images outside of Squarespace before you upload your images, otherwise, you'll have some trouble fitting things in perfectly.

Squarespace lets me build really easy landing pages, client projects, or even build quick marketing websites for the companies I've worked for/with. It's extremely easy to get set up and has a really simple integration with both e-commerce transactions (stripe) and google analytics (for tracking).

Squarespace review by Teena C.
Teena C.

"Make your work alive"

What do you like best?

So great for an online store.Became easier to sell products. Great online support. Now I can say that this works for me.Your site will always look great and so easy for visitors

What do you dislike?

If I have a problem I always contact support services as I I know that they will help me with my issue.Don't waste your time by thinking that maybe I can handle by myself. The support service really cares about you.They know what they are doing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make your business better.Develop your team and work with fun on your performance. You can work here as much as you can.Create, choose any theme, photos or video makes your site live.

Helps to keep my site always up.With using this tools I found that I have more visitors which is became customers.Gives good opportunity to start with.

Squarespace review by Ashley N.
Ashley N.

"Squarespace - a great option for any in need of a website, without the need for coding."

What do you like best?

I love that Squarespace has so many versatile web templates. The company makes it so easy to pick and choose one based off of your needs (website functions) and personal style (aesthetics) and there are a lot to choose from. That being said, your website won't necessarily look like another's who chose the same template, simply because there are so many options for customization.

Each template I've tried out looks professional, crisp, and clean and I know that it would be very difficult for me to code the same exact website, because I'm new to the process. So for me, this is a practical option while I'm setting up a website through code which is taking me much longer. Squarespace works personally for me and my business needs and since I joined a year ago, they've added more capabilities that they didn't have before ie: email newsletter caption widgets, etc.

In my opinion, it's worth a trial run to see if Squarespace is the answer for your needs!

What do you dislike?

I dislike that although there is a section where you can add custom code (for instance adding some html to the site) I can't figure out how to actually get the code to work properly. It always shows up as blank added space to the top header. This is probably more an issue on my end however, and I haven't been able to find much about it through Google search. However, I haven't spent a ton of my time looking for a solution either.

Besides this slight hiccup, I can't say that there's anything I dislike about Squarespace. It serves a great purpose for me, personally. Keep in mind though, that if you're looking for a website to be much more tailored to your specific design requirements, this is probably not going to be the best option for you and I do believe that hiring a web designer and web developer is the better option in this case. Being a startup, I didn't mind compromising my design needs and settling on a built-in template for the time being.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When considering using Squarespace, I suggest evaluating your needs to determine if this site could be a solution for you. Remember, there's no harm in trying out a trial here and to be honest, you won't really know what Squarespace is capable of or what their templates look like without playing around in it a little. Get a good feel of how everything works and if you believe this would be a good option for you.

For me, it's been a life saver and I'll continue using it until my personally designed site is finished being developed.

It was taking too long to code my ideal website by myself, because it's the first time I'm doing it and it's a tough process to complete quickly, given the amount of time I have free to do it. However, I didn't want to stifle my ability to get my business off the ground, and I knew I'd have to have a website in order to do so.

This is where Squarespace has been a life saver for me. I've been able to use it to get my business in front of my ideal clients and target market, while looking very professional. No one would know that it's a Squarespace template, so it's wroking perfectly for me while I continue to code my site on the side.

Squarespace review by Shirin E.
Shirin E.

"So much easier to design and launch content painlessly"

What do you like best?

I love leaving the technical aspects to SquareSpace. I no longer have to create backups before updating over 15 plug-ins that we ran in order to get Wordpress to do what we needed.

What do you dislike?

My only complaint is I can't dial in the SEO aspects as well as I could in Wordpress. It takes content from various parts of the site and I wish I could override the Meta Description as it's not always the best text for the actual website page.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I thought it would "dumb" down our corporate presence. But what you'll find is that you can get your thoughts online faster without having to be a graphic designer. Now when we launch a campaign or want to create a landing page you focus on the content and not the structural or tech aspects.

We were subscribed to 3-4 software plug-ins for wordpress. Not only did this cost us money but they often conflicted with each other and caused us to have to restore our site from backups. We had a plug in for landing pages, forms to mailchimp automation, and SEO. Our template conflicted with this often and more than once we had to make changes to our CSS to over come the conflicts. With squarespace, this functionality is native and even a non-designer type like myself is able to crank out a decent landing page that looks professional.

Squarespace review by Lydia W.
Lydia W.

"Marginal Customer Service"

What do you like best?

Simple setup for novice website building. Lots of theme options. Attractive platforms.

What do you dislike?

Customer service usually offers a quick response, but more often than not just throwing links at you, even if the answer might be as simple as a yes or no. Quite a bit pricier than other options and SSL's are not included with hosting like some other hosting sites offer. Even if your content is just informational secure sites are preferred on Google searches and rank higher than non secured sites, so SSL is important. Also, themes can be inflexible and the learning curve is equal to just learning WordPress yourself. Once you do that, there are a huge amount of plugins to help you achieve almost anything you want.

Square Space was an okay temporary stop gap for me, but between being overpriced and inflexible not something I cared to cope with for very long. Other sites offer WAY more help and don't just bury you with links to FAQ's that may or may not help.

Learning about Squarespace?

* We monitor all Squarespace reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.