Stata

Stata puts hundreds of statistical tools at your fingertips. For data management, statistical analysis, and publication-quality graphics, Stata has you covered.

Work for Stata?

Learning about Stata?

Stata Reviews

Showing 36 Stata reviews
Stata review by <span>Sara C.</span>
Sara C.
Validated Review

Easy to learn, but less flexible than R

Validated Review
What do you like best?

Stata is very easy to pick up, and many functions can be accomplished through the menus, although things are faster with some programming skill. Troubleshooting is typically fairly straightforward -- the program's help function is good, and most other problems can be solved by searching online.

What do you dislike?

Stata is not as flexible as R (the other major statistical program used in my field), although the learning curve is much less steep. The graphics are also not as stylish, although there are some customization options.

Recommendations to others considering the product

One issue with Stata is that the ease of use (especially being able to select complex models and options through the menu) can make it too easy to run models that the user doesn't really know how to interpret. So, be careful with this and be sure to double check with a statistics text or colleague as appropriate to ensure you're interpreting results correctly.

Excellent for cleaning and managing data and for running standard statistical models.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Stata
Stata review by <span>Joshua C.</span>
Joshua C.

Stata

Validated Review
What do you like best?

I find it more helpful than other products for stuff like robust estimation.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the concept of a do list. I also found it really annoying that as soon as I hit enter, it would try to run a command, even if the command I want to type/code is so long that I need line breaks. And as with any programming software, typing a lot of stuff and remembering what to type is always annoying.

Even though I'm primarily a SAS user, I found it a lot easier to figure out how to do stuff like meta-analysis or propensity score matching on Stata than on SAS. Sure, SAS definitely has a lot more advantages than Stata (and SPSS too, lol), but Stata definitely shines more in these regards.

0 of 0 found this helpful.

What Other Analytics solution do you use?

Stata review by <span>Misty R.</span>
Misty R.
Validated Review
What do you like best?

As a person with little prior programming experience, I have found Stata to be, by far, the easiest statistical software to learn while still having impressive analytical and reproducible capabilities. Stata is always adding analytical tools to its repertoire as well, so updates are worth getting.

What do you dislike?

Stata is prohibitively expensive for some individuals and companies, especially if it is for shorter-term or limited use. Increasingly, people are choosing R over Stata for this reason (although I find R more difficult to use).

Recommendations to others considering the product

If R and/or SAS are intimidating, but SPSS doesn't meet your needs, Stata is the program you need.

I use Stata for academic research, so it is my main work tool. Because most others in my field also use it, it facilitates collaboration.

Stata review by <span>Gautam A.</span>
Gautam A.
Validated Review

Great way to do data crunching!

Validated Review
What do you like best?

Stata is really convenient to use. Data crunching has become easier for social scientists due to this software. The commands are comparatively easy to use and the help tools are very effective too.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really as of now. But may be making drawings and graphs can be improved. Currently, I have to spend lot of time making these graphs and they do not turn out to be really nice.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Stata is very useful and not so difficult to use. Very useful for graduate students and research professionals

As a PhD student and a Graduate Assistant, I participate in various research studies where I work with datasets. Stata helps me with this work in an important way.

Stata review by <span>Heidi R.</span>
Heidi R.
Validated Review

I couldn't do my work without Stata

Validated Review
What do you like best?

Stata is very flexible and has the capacity to do anything from simple data description and basic analysis to advanced programming and data manipulation. I like the additional functionality that user written ado files allow, the replication and error-reduction of do files, and many other features.

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything, honestly. One thing that could improves is the graphing and plotting display options. Specifically, it would be nice if they had the ability for some "smart" formatting so that legends, labels, titles, etc. would automatically not run out of the margins or overlap with other labels. Often, the graphics produced by Stata are not usable for presentations or publications and I must completely rework them in other software to make them presentable.

I am a social scientist and use Stata for data manipulation and management and data analysis in many of my projects. I use Stata nearly every day and it saves me tons of time and allows me to do things that would not be possible without it.

Stata review by <span>Nikardi J.</span>
Nikardi J.

Data Analysis Made Simple with STATA

Validated Review
What do you like best?

STATA is really easy to use. Not only is the software point-and-click, but if you want you can also directly code your STATA commands into the command box. STATA uses simplified language which is a huge asset to those who are not familiar with coding procedures.Unlike SAS, which has lengthy coding requirements for running commands, STATA code only requires the bare minimum to get the statistical analysis that you need.

What do you dislike?

Variable names are case-sensitive, which means you always need to reference back to the variable list to make sure you are using the correct variable.

STATA support does not really have a helpful website for users to get their questions answered.

Recommendations to others considering the product

STATA is good for those who are new to statistical analysis.

I primarily use STATA for analysis of complex survey data. It is easy to put in the weight, clusters and strata variables (ex:svyset psu variable [pweight=weight variable] , strata(stratum variable)) at the beginning and use svy: (STATA code) to write all subsequent commands. STATA makes complex survey analysis simple. It is only necessary to set survey design characteristics once.

Learning about Stata?

* We monitor all Stata reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.