Stata

Stata puts hundreds of statistical tools at your fingertips. For data management, statistical analysis, and publication-quality graphics, Stata has you covered.

Work for Stata?

Learning about Stata?

Stata Reviews

Showing 67 Stata reviews
Stata review by Miguel R.
Miguel R.

"Review de Stata 15"

What do you like best?

STATA es muy fácil de usar para tareas estadísticas simples, existen requisitos básicos de codificación que son fáciles de seguir para analizar datos publicables. Además, hay varias comparaciones estadísticas que se pueden hacer para los grandes conjuntos de datos de ensayos clínicos con los que trabajamos y Stata se usa comúnmente en el mundo epidemiológico, por lo que los análisis son bien conocidos.

Además, STATA también es útil para análisis más complejos, como por ejemplo análisis de ecuación estructural (incluyendo GUI), análisis de clase latente, entre otros.

What do you dislike?

No hay nada realmente que me disguste de Stata. Me encanta este programa y hace que mi trabajo sea mucho más fácil en mi trabajo. Sin embargo, a veces puede ser tedioso aprender por su diferencia con otros programas como R. Quizá la única pega es que en análisis más complejos STATA se queda corto, por ejemplo, modelos de crecimiento de curva latente (LGCM), por ejemplo.

El precio también es elevado para la versión MP, aunque la versión SP es asequible.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Si no vas a realizar análisis 'muy' complejos, STATA es perfecto para ti sin duda. Empieza con un período de prueba antes de invertir para asegurarte de que cumple tus análisis.

Uso Stata principalmente para investigación y actividades académicas. Lo utilizo para análisis complejos, como por ejemplo modelos jerárquicos y SEM que me resultan muy útiles y fáciles de aplicar.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Stata
Stata review by Su L.
Su L.

"user friendly"

What do you like best?

I learn it from school. I think a good teacher is the key to really enjoy using this software.

For me, it is quite easy to use and it run very fast. I use it do run my data to do some analysis. I find the online resource if quite helpful to identify my coding stuff. generally, i do think it is a useful software.

What do you dislike?

some time the coding is not very readable. I found me struggling a little bit when I can not really know if there are some other existing coding can be used when I get stuck. it may be more helpful if there is a customer help line. and the tables I ran out are not very easy to export. I think it is the main issue for me. I know there are ways to export it properly, but I usually fail.....so sometimes I just do it manually by screenshot. I found it quite annoyed when I can not really export them properly. i do hope this can be improved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think it is a little bit easier than R and quite a lot faster than sass. though the price is not very affordable, i think it is still somehow fair. So I would still recommend this product to other people who need to analysis data.

I think it save my time when compare to other statistic product or software. it contain more feature than i expected.

What Other Analytics solution do you use?

Stata review by Sara C.
Sara C.

"Easy to learn, but less flexible than R"

What do you like best?

Stata is very easy to pick up, and many functions can be accomplished through the menus, although things are faster with some programming skill. Troubleshooting is typically fairly straightforward -- the program's help function is good, and most other problems can be solved by searching online.

What do you dislike?

Stata is not as flexible as R (the other major statistical program used in my field), although the learning curve is much less steep. The graphics are also not as stylish, although there are some customization options.

Recommendations to others considering the product

One issue with Stata is that the ease of use (especially being able to select complex models and options through the menu) can make it too easy to run models that the user doesn't really know how to interpret. So, be careful with this and be sure to double check with a statistics text or colleague as appropriate to ensure you're interpreting results correctly.

Excellent for cleaning and managing data and for running standard statistical models.

Stata review by Mohamad H.
Mohamad H.

"Good, simple alternative to R or SPSS"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, not needed to know how to code although it has the potential to make commands via a command line. A very wide range of parametric and nonparametric tests. Useful tests and visualizations of data and rather easy to find them.

What do you dislike?

Slightly difficult to edit data. Statistical outputs are sometimes difficult to interpret due to the nuances of the software in presenting values (e.g. p-values, hypotheses, etc.). It can be somewhat temperamental when switching between data sets and multiple variables.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider the power you need in statistical analysis. This may be a bit more cumbersome to use than R or SPSS if you are familiar with coding. Having never used a dedicated statistical software before STATA I would recommend it for familiarizing oneself with certain statistical tests.

Used in a strictly biostatistical academic setting, I can tell it has the potential to analyze trends in even large-scale sets of biomedical data.

Stata review by Joshua C.
Joshua C.

"Stata"

What do you like best?

I find it more helpful than other products for stuff like robust estimation.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the concept of a do list. I also found it really annoying that as soon as I hit enter, it would try to run a command, even if the command I want to type/code is so long that I need line breaks. And as with any programming software, typing a lot of stuff and remembering what to type is always annoying.

Even though I'm primarily a SAS user, I found it a lot easier to figure out how to do stuff like meta-analysis or propensity score matching on Stata than on SAS. Sure, SAS definitely has a lot more advantages than Stata (and SPSS too, lol), but Stata definitely shines more in these regards.

Stata review by Misty R.
Misty R.

"Powerful and intuitive statistical software"

What do you like best?

As a person with little prior programming experience, I have found Stata to be, by far, the easiest statistical software to learn while still having impressive analytical and reproducible capabilities. Stata is always adding analytical tools to its repertoire as well, so updates are worth getting.

What do you dislike?

Stata is prohibitively expensive for some individuals and companies, especially if it is for shorter-term or limited use. Increasingly, people are choosing R over Stata for this reason (although I find R more difficult to use).

Recommendations to others considering the product

If R and/or SAS are intimidating, but SPSS doesn't meet your needs, Stata is the program you need.

I use Stata for academic research, so it is my main work tool. Because most others in my field also use it, it facilitates collaboration.

"Best for Data Analysis"

What do you like best?

Not the best for data manipulation but great for performing statistical analysis especially for development of advanced models such as GLM regression. I like that I don't have to type in a lot of code to get what I want. I also love that post-estimation regression commands are available to carry out marginal analysis and check for model validity

What do you dislike?

A bit clumsy if you want to manipulate , manage, clean and organize data especially large data such as health care administrative data sets. I find that SAS is better with that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have only used SAS, STATA and SPSS but I feel that STATA is great for statistical analysis especially for new users. It is very intuitive and easy to use compared to SAS since there is not as much coding involved and the outputs are easy to understand.

Health Care Data Analysis for Research involving population health questions on numerous diseases and policy based research.

Stata review by Gautam A.
Gautam A.

"Great way to do data crunching!"

What do you like best?

Stata is really convenient to use. Data crunching has become easier for social scientists due to this software. The commands are comparatively easy to use and the help tools are very effective too.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really as of now. But may be making drawings and graphs can be improved. Currently, I have to spend lot of time making these graphs and they do not turn out to be really nice.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Stata is very useful and not so difficult to use. Very useful for graduate students and research professionals

As a PhD student and a Graduate Assistant, I participate in various research studies where I work with datasets. Stata helps me with this work in an important way.

Stata review by User in Higher Education

"Very nice software but can be more user friendly."

What do you like best?

Coding is simple and gets the job done. Doesn't do such a good job with fixed effects models though.

What do you dislike?

Fixed effect models take forever.

Not AI smart. If it can work on the AI aspect a little bit, then it would be amazing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's simple, easy to use and gets the job done in most cases unless you are into really complicated stuff where it would be better to invest in alternative softwares. However, it does it's job very well for whats expected of it. Therefore, can't complain at all with the simplicity and ease of use in getting the job done. The standard version is slightly expensive but they also have a student version which is cheaper but allows fewer variables.

Regression models, logit, probit, Difference in difference models, IV, GMM models. Stata is very easy to learn and the online support available for problem is amazing.

Stata review by User

"You can do regressions, charts, plots and whatever you want."

What do you like best?

It is one of the best data programs and used by many people. The wide use of Stata allows you to find solutions and ideas from other people on online platforms. The help guide of the program solves your expectations most of the time. It is compatible with both PC and Mac.

What do you dislike?

For people who are new to the program might feel a bit confused at the beginning. It takes time to know what you should do to create what you want. It is a bit expensive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you think about buying this product and you will need for a long time, you can opt to life-time package option.

It is perfect to see the relationship between variables and also to get a regression model about what you are working on. I can figure out the relationships which help me to analyze an issue.

Stata review by User

"Elegant program, nuanced interface to learn w/ limited online resources"

What do you like best?

Stata is very powerful, allows for indepth analysis. Once you learn how to use it, it can be used for virtually any analysis, but the learning curve is steep. Graphing functions and elegant analyses are the pros.

What do you dislike?

Learning the tricks to using stata can be difficult. Unforgiving data editor. Limited online resources when you run into problems. Stata is also for unforgiving when trying to reshape data from wide to long format. Trying to find the correct verbiage online is troublesome.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Find someone you know that uses Stata and learn from them. Unlike R, there is little "open-source" resources to exploit in the online communities of users

Stata allows for robust panel regressions for strategy and management research. Stata also allows for calculating complex interactions w/out having to manually dummy code different variables.

Stata review by Heidi R.
Heidi R.

"I couldn't do my work without Stata"

What do you like best?

Stata is very flexible and has the capacity to do anything from simple data description and basic analysis to advanced programming and data manipulation. I like the additional functionality that user written ado files allow, the replication and error-reduction of do files, and many other features.

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything, honestly. One thing that could improves is the graphing and plotting display options. Specifically, it would be nice if they had the ability for some "smart" formatting so that legends, labels, titles, etc. would automatically not run out of the margins or overlap with other labels. Often, the graphics produced by Stata are not usable for presentations or publications and I must completely rework them in other software to make them presentable.

I am a social scientist and use Stata for data manipulation and management and data analysis in many of my projects. I use Stata nearly every day and it saves me tons of time and allows me to do things that would not be possible without it.

Stata review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer

"Fast but Not Flexible "

What do you like best?

Stata is very good at taking in medium to large data sets and running economic regressions. It is speedier at doing so than many other similar programs.

What do you dislike?

The options for data structure are rather limited compared to other similar programs such as R. There is also a cap of around 2 billion observations that can be used at any one time. It's not easy to run into, but if you have more than 2B observations it can be a pain.

I do economic research at a large university, and use STATA to assist in this. Usually my work requires cleaning data, running regressions, and outputting tables and results. Stata can do this in a pretty straightforward way, and ultimately I am happy with the software.

Stata review by Nikardi J.
Nikardi J.

"Data Analysis Made Simple with STATA"

What do you like best?

STATA is really easy to use. Not only is the software point-and-click, but if you want you can also directly code your STATA commands into the command box. STATA uses simplified language which is a huge asset to those who are not familiar with coding procedures.Unlike SAS, which has lengthy coding requirements for running commands, STATA code only requires the bare minimum to get the statistical analysis that you need.

What do you dislike?

Variable names are case-sensitive, which means you always need to reference back to the variable list to make sure you are using the correct variable.

STATA support does not really have a helpful website for users to get their questions answered.

Recommendations to others considering the product

STATA is good for those who are new to statistical analysis.

I primarily use STATA for analysis of complex survey data. It is easy to put in the weight, clusters and strata variables (ex:svyset psu variable [pweight=weight variable] , strata(stratum variable)) at the beginning and use svy: (STATA code) to write all subsequent commands. STATA makes complex survey analysis simple. It is only necessary to set survey design characteristics once.

Stata review by User in Management Consulting
User in Management Consulting

"Menu or Syntax -- your choice"

What do you like best?

If I don't know a command, but I know what kind of analysis I want to conduct, I can use the menu options (and then you add in specifics). Alternatively, if I know the command, I just type the syntax. In my opinion, it is the best of both worlds between SPSS, SAS, and Excel. It is user-friendly, but has somewhat of a learning curve. There are dozens of online support forums to aid with roadblocks when coding. Graphics are nice and it's quite easy to tweak to your liking.

What do you dislike?

Most analyses I have conducted on Stata were fairly straight-forward and easy, but sometimes the help option is not as clear as it could be.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Spend time learning how the software works. The best way to learn Stata is to get in the nitty-gritty and explore whatever datasets you have.

Stata is designated for data analysis and research. You can make connections, analyze microdata, visualize trends, etc.

"STATA in Econometrics"

What do you like best?

We have been using STATA in our econometrics courses in my doctoral program and while there was an initial learning curve, it is convenient to use for regression analysis. I like the support given to SAS and the numerous forums out there that help users who have trouble using Stata.

What do you dislike?

I currently have not had any problems with STATA. My colleagues tell me that it can crash with extremely large datasets but that has not happened with me yet. However, I have noticed that it does not run as smoothly as SAS.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend other users to use STATA as it is an excellent learning and application tool for school and work.

We run STATA to run regression equations. It's consistent, dependable, and easy to use.

Stata review by User in Higher Education

"Steep learning curve for non-statistitians "

What do you like best?

I use STATA mostly for evaluating the connection between diet and health outcomes. I'm able to cleanly upload nutritional and physiological data and generate complex risk ratios, models, etc

What do you dislike?

As a nutrition major in my undergrad, I had absolutely no contact with the software. As a grad student, I found learning the STATA "language" to be quite difficult; the syntax for different commands doesn't always align and it's hard to keep everything straight. I keep a cheat-sheet of commands to work around this.

STATA eliminates countless hours of wasting time generating new variables, labels, recoding, etc. We are using STATA to standardize data from thousands of different sources, for which it's been extremely valuable.

Stata review by User in Sports
User in Sports

"Useful, once you learn how to use it"

What do you like best?

I like how you can use the pull down menus or use coding to manipulate the data. The pull down menus are great when learning how to use the software. The do files make it easy to redo analysis you've done previously, and check how you've cleaned the data.

What do you dislike?

I do not like how Stata generates graphics. Although Stata is useful for manipulating data and running statistical tests, I usually export that information and generate graphics in other software, such as Excel.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Learn the coding as soon as possible because it is way more accessible than the drop down menus.

It allows for in depth analysis to inform policy recommendations. You just have to be careful about what variables you are using and make sure you are making the correct comparisons to answer your research question. You also have to be careful how the data you're importing is coded -- for example missing data can be coded as 9999999 which can skew numerical measures if you don't clean the data properly.

Stata review by Daniel Q.
Daniel Q.

"Great piece of statistical software"

What do you like best?

Very reliable. It can be difficult to learn, but the ease of writing do files is really helpful. From there, you can save the files and edit/reuse them. Being able to simply Google other commands and add packages is great as well.

What do you dislike?

Learning various commands can be difficult, particularly if you don't use the software on a regular basis.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get familiar with the coding.

I use it primarily for program evaluation, which can involve anything from running frequencies to statistical significance tests for categorical data.

Stata review by User in Higher Education

"Easy to use and packed with functionality"

What do you like best?

The syntax is really easy to grasp, and the fact that there are many ways to accomplish a task (through a do-file, the console, or just the toolbar) makes it really convenient and easy to use.

What do you dislike?

Can take a while to process actions influencing a large number of records. For instance, using the matchit function to perform a fuzzy match on a couple thousand records often left me waiting for a good half hour.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product, by all means go ahead and purchase. Well worth the subscription price.

At the moment, I am using Stata for a research project investigating how low equity levels in banks can hamper the trnasimission of monetary policy. I've realized that Stata is a very powerful tool, and that you can add a lot of functionality through the open source plug ins that developers are constantly producing.

Stata review by User in Research
User in Research

"I use STATA for academic research in education."

What do you like best?

I like Stata's help interface the best about the program. I often learn things about statistics I would not otherwise have known or thought of for the particular model I am running through the help interface.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that STATA can only open one graph at a time. It makes me save a graph before I can open a second one, so if I run multiple lines of code with multiple graphs in them it is impossible to see the first graph and impossible to compare the graphs side by side.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take a course!

I am not working on business problems, so I have not realized any benefits specifically related to business.

Stata review by Jou-Fei H.
Jou-Fei H.

"Easy to use statistic software"

What do you like best?

It is super easy to use. And they provide with customer service to answer all the statistic related questions and how to solve that on Stata. It is easy to code in new data points than R.

What do you dislike?

The pricing is a little higher. And if other people share a .dta file with a new version, I could not open that file in my older version of Stata.

Recommendations to others considering the product

it is easy to conduct regressional analysis and multilevel models. Not a software for doing the graphs. It is super complex and time-consuming to draw a graph by Stata

Mostly regarding my research. It is great to deal with a large amount of data.

Stata review by User

"Useful research software with professional support and wide use"

What do you like best?

Strong support, ease of use. Many functions for epidemiology, econometrics, etc have native support and simple syntax.

What do you dislike?

Could be a more robust user community; as-is, Stata has a lot of packages but sits on the line between a robust statistical language and a sort-of browser driven

Running analyses on a variety of data sources for multiple partners and internal operations. Easy to use and has much of the functionality you need; can get 90% of the way to a detailed analysis and report before bringing your work into LaTeX or MS Word.

Stata review by User in Higher Education

"Very convenient and easy to use software"

What do you like best?

In the last, I’ve been handed projects which needed to be completed in STATA. Given that I had no prior experience with STATA, I dutifully sought out a manual and learned various commands and how to generally maneuver the software. I guess, my point is that it’s so easy to use and even a beginner like me was able to complete works and college projects without any formal training. I also love that the commands are simple to remember.

What do you dislike?

There’s not much I dislike about the STATA. Sometimes I find that it’s easy to input a incorrect command and mess up my data but that it more of a user issue than a software issue.

I’ve completed regression projects for both college and work. I was able to seamlessly produce reports and graphs of my findings. Currently, I work on training students on how the uses and applications of STATA.

"Stata"

What do you like best?

I like that you can copy and paste cvs files as data. I find the help command really useful. I also like that it is easy to merge datasets. I also like that I'm able to link it to dropbox so it updates the dofiles.

What do you dislike?

Commands change between updates so sometimes Mgen will work in my office on campus but not when I work on my laptop remotely. Sometimes I have to update files.

I use stata to analyze large datasets and great tables. It is useful to help create tables in stata.

Stata review by User

"Powerful and industry standard statistical software"

What do you like best?

Great manual with examples and explanation. Point and click and command typing method of analyzing data. Powerful customization by entering user created analysis available online.

What do you dislike?

Exporting results to Microsoft Excel need to be improved, currently difficult to select a portion of table or output you really need to be exported. Visualisation options are fairly limited, especially for creating interactive graphs and scatter plots. Online collabortion features are not available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

R statistical software, free to use but less user-friendly. SPSS or SAS, depending on your familiarity and your budget

Healthcare problems, big-data analysis, clinical trials data

Stata review by Swati A.
Swati A.

"Statistical analysis using Stata"

What do you like best?

Stata gives an easy and user friendly interface which can be used for performing statistical analysis of large datasets for business and research purposes.

What do you dislike?

It does not have fancy gui and plots like tableau but that’s only because it’s for more sophisticated purposes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Experiment a lot with various datasets there are a lot of features you can explore on your own

I am working on a research for school districts where a huge amount of teachers need to be recruited and their data needs to be stored. It has benefited me by giving me a platform to analyze precise data.

"Great statistical softwre"

What do you like best?

I like the east to use functions on STATA. It has drop down menus and codes that you an right to run your analysis. Also, the user manual is very helpful when you get stuck.

What do you dislike?

So far I haven't figured out anything I dislike about STATA.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend STATA for your statistical analyses. Not only does it analyse simple data but it is also able to analyse complex methods such as SEM and HLM

STATA help be to analyze date. It even includes HLM and SEM analysis which id very helpful to me.

Stata review by User

"easy to learn but expensive "

What do you like best?

Stata does most of what you need a statistical software to do and it is fairly easy to learn for someone who does not have much experience with coding. Do files make it so that it is easy to retrieve your work and rerun it at a later date.

What do you dislike?

rough around the edges when it comes to graphs, can't do much outside of the basics of regression and statistical analyses. Very expensive for what it has to offer

Recommendations to others considering the product

expensive for the quality, invest in learning r

dissertation work and research

Stata review by User

"Stata is a great tool for teaching basics statistics"

What do you like best?

The interface is fairly intuitive and it is the best tool for teaching introductory biostatistics to graduate students.

What do you dislike?

Stata is not adequate for more demanding statistical exercises, for example, we transition out of Stata during upper-level biostatistics classes in graduate school.

I use Stata primarily for research and academic activities so I have not solved any business problems. However, as I mentioned, it serves as an extremely valuable teaching tool and my introductory statistics courses have benefitted tremendously from using Stata as the primary software.

Stata review by User in Higher Education

"Simple and good tool for statistical analysis"

What do you like best?

STATA is very user friendly for simple statistical tasks, there are basic coding requirements that are easy to follow to analyze publishable data. Additionally, there are several statistical comparisons that can be made for the large clinical trial datasets we work with and Stata is commonly used in the epidemiological world so analyses are well-known

What do you dislike?

The price of Stata and compatibility with analyzing large biomedical datasets (such as RNASequencing data) is not as easy to do and are not well-used features of the software. Other software, such as R, are also fairly user-friendly and are freely available and can perform more complex bioinformatics analyses.

Statistical analyses of large clinical trial datasets are easy to input and perform tests on

Stata review by Lorenzo J.
Lorenzo J.

"Great software with poor user interface"

What do you like best?

The handling of a large amount of data for academic research is excellent

What do you dislike?

It is not easy to use for complete beginners

Recommendations to others considering the product

Buy a manual or take a class before using it.

Stata allows to analyze various factors within an organization or in an economic system and generate a regressional analysis capable to tell a narrative that otherwise would have been possible to take into consideration.

Stata review by Iryna S.
Iryna S.

"Easier than R"

What do you like best?

A significant amount of user manuals and a great support system

What do you dislike?

Coding an be counter intuitive at times

Recommendations to others considering the product

Start with a trial period before you invest

Quick and easy way to analyze any data set - no matter the size

"Stata review"

What do you like best?

It is so easy to make pivot tables, as well as organizing all of the data in one document. It is extremely easy to learn.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing really that I dislike about stata I love this program it makes my work so much easier in my job. However, sometimes it may be tedious to learn

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please bring someone from Stata to teach new ways on how to do the problems.

We are creating pivot tables about the number of viewers we have in each region which has been helpful on how to improve our programming content. I love how it makes it very clear to read it

Stata review by User in Management Consulting
User in Management Consulting

"One of the more dated statistical software out there."

What do you like best?

Stata is very powerful and does work well with massive datasets. It has been around for a very long time and is recognized in most fields.

What do you dislike?

Outside of academia, I think that Stata is falling behind competitors (R, SAS, etc). The open source features of R in particular make me choose it over Stata unless required.

Analysis of massive (1 million+ row) datasets. I can rely on it to handle this size effectively.

Stata review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Easy software for stats"

What do you like best?

Very easy to navigate and learn how to use; efficient for descriptive and analytical statistics using small or large datasets

What do you dislike?

While there are many resources on the internet on how to use the software, the help section in the actual software is not very useful for learning how to use various functions

Very efficient for running statistical analyses or even obtaining descriptive statistics for almost any set of data

"I love Stata!"

What do you like best?

Stata is great for all of my data analysis needs. There's a very low barrier to entry (compared to R or Python) and it doesn't crash as often as SPSS

What do you dislike?

Student pricing is still very expensive, making this software pretty inaccesible

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's very pricey so make sure it's the right fit before you buy

Stata is great for data analysis

Stata review by User in Research
User in Research

"Powerful yet esoteric"

What do you like best?

Stata has a lot of statistical tests that don't come out of the box like SPSS. Their syntax is pretty easy too.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the forced syntax - GUIs are nice as a backup.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check with your clients before using it, because many clients prefer SPSS formats.

We use Stata to clean and analyze large survey data sets

Stata review by User

"easy to use and comparable to other analytical software"

What do you like best?

The graph function of stata is by far the easiest to use. I also like the user-written programs can be added to the software.

What do you dislike?

It seems like the do files are not automatically saved. I've lost some do files and couldn't find it anywhere in the temp folder.

Easy data analysis and data visualization tool

"Great intuitive software"

What do you like best?

easy to use, good for large data sets, intuitive

What do you dislike?

can be a little confusing to run multiple commands in single line of code

Recommendations to others considering the product

stata is good and all, but competitors such as R that offer software for free may take over

answering economic research questions

"Straightforward "

What do you like best?

Straightforward and easy to use, no need to be a programmer to get results, logits and margins packages are well developed and give results that are easier to interpret than other programs.

What do you dislike?

R is much better in terms of graphing and ability to open multiple datasets at once and use them simultaneously

data analysis, plots for regression results

Stata review by User

"User Friendly Statistical Analysis Program"

What do you like best?

Stata is pretty easy to use and is good for computing for smaller to mid-sized datasets. The codes are pretty intuitive and is easy to learn fast.

What do you dislike?

Stata is less powerful than other statistical software such as SAS; takes longer to run especially for larger sized datasets.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to use for small to mid-sized data analysis purposes

Stat can be used to perform statistical analysis for research purposes. It is user friendly and the codes seem intuitive and the help function is easy to understand with examples

Stata review by User in Retail
User in Retail

"State - one of the most useful data-analysis tools out there "

What do you like best?

Once I learned how to handle the software, Stata provides one of the quickest tools to analyze data. It is extremely quick, but it does require an extensive knowledge of the code.

What do you dislike?

The dropdown menu is not one of its strong sides, they are slow and difficult to handle. Not the best for graphics.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be patient and learn the code to operate it first. Knowing how to use the software is one of the most crucial aspects of it.

Great way to analyze any kind of data/information.

"Experienced Stata user"

What do you like best?

Stata is a great statistical resource for experienced researchers looking to run their own analyses. It's particularly helpful when running complex models or doing meta-analyses.

What do you dislike?

You can only load one dataset into Stata at once, so it makes life difficult when dealing with multiple large datasets.

I run statistical analyses in Stata.

Stata review by Michaela M.
Michaela M.

"Stata"

What do you like best?

Lots of options for regressions and graphic presentations

What do you dislike?

Picky command formats (ie, case sensitive)

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're not super into programming, Stata is a better choice over R. Commands are pre-programmed.

Using it for undergrad thesis; makes data analysis more manageable

Stata review by User

"Easy to use and perform analysis"

What do you like best?

Writing commands is easy. Versatile in terms of function. Many iser written procedures available. Best for data analysis

What do you dislike?

The data manipulation is not as easy. Biggest issue is with survey estimation command. Although easy to implement takes a long time when using it in combination with post estimation and other commands

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for most things you need. Careful when implementing survey procedures

Dont need to have indepth coding experience if you have your dataset ready for analysis you can do most complex analysisof

Stata review by User in Higher Education

"Prettier Version of PowerPoint"

What do you like best?

A much cleaner presentation than traditional PowerPoint with better animation

What do you dislike?

Really only used it online, and risk not being able to load a presentation when there isn't internet

Presentations! Much more engaging way to present information

Stata review by User

"Great for Academic work"

What do you like best?

Easy to use and teach and fulfills all our statistical analysis needs.

What do you dislike?

not as easy to use for multiple datasets as with python

Mostly for healthcare statistical analysis in academia

"Advanced analysis"

What do you like best?

I can do any type of statistical analysis or modeling I want! There are great online resources for programming and trouble shooting.

What do you dislike?

There is a steep learning curve. It takes a while to learn the more advanced programming methods.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Invest in training. The more proficient you are, the more you will get out of it

Statistical analyses to measure program impacts, returns on investments, etc

Stata review by User in Higher Education

"Stata statistical software review"

What do you like best?

In stata, you can see the code of each command that you run even if you run it through the drop down menu. The ability to write codes mean you are not restricted by the drop down menu.

What do you dislike?

Stata is still not a one-stop solution for all statistical analysis. For example, there is no support for simulation.

I use stata for regression analysis, measurement model, structural equation modeling.

Learning about Stata?

* We monitor all Stata reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.