4.3 out of 5

Stata Reviews

1-50 of 85 total Stata reviews

Stata Reviews

1-50 of 85 total Stata reviews
Stata review by Miguel R.

"Review de Stata 15"

What do you like best?

STATA es muy fácil de usar para tareas estadísticas simples, existen requisitos básicos de codificación que son fáciles de seguir para analizar datos publicables. Además, hay varias comparaciones estadísticas que se pueden hacer para los grandes conjuntos de datos de ensayos clínicos con los que trabajamos y Stata se usa comúnmente en el mundo epidemiológico, por lo que los análisis son bien conocidos.

Además, STATA también es útil para análisis más complejos, como por ejemplo análisis de ecuación estructural (incluyendo GUI), análisis de clase latente, entre otros.

What do you dislike?

No hay nada realmente que me disguste de Stata. Me encanta este programa y hace que mi trabajo sea mucho más fácil en mi trabajo. Sin embargo, a veces puede ser tedioso aprender por su diferencia con otros programas como R. Quizá la única pega es que en análisis más complejos STATA se queda corto, por ejemplo, modelos de crecimiento de curva latente (LGCM), por ejemplo.

El precio también es elevado para la versión MP, aunque la versión SP es asequible.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Si no vas a realizar análisis 'muy' complejos, STATA es perfecto para ti sin duda. Empieza con un período de prueba antes de invertir para asegurarte de que cumple tus análisis.

Uso Stata principalmente para investigación y actividades académicas. Lo utilizo para análisis complejos, como por ejemplo modelos jerárquicos y SEM que me resultan muy útiles y fáciles de aplicar.

Stata review by Su L.
Accounting Associate

"user friendly"

What do you like best?

I learn it from school. I think a good teacher is the key to really enjoy using this software.

For me, it is quite easy to use and it run very fast. I use it do run my data to do some analysis. I find the online resource if quite helpful to identify my coding stuff. generally, i do think it is a useful software.

What do you dislike?

some time the coding is not very readable. I found me struggling a little bit when I can not really know if there are some other existing coding can be used when I get stuck. it may be more helpful if there is a customer help line. and the tables I ran out are not very easy to export. I think it is the main issue for me. I know there are ways to export it properly, but I usually fail.....so sometimes I just do it manually by screenshot. I found it quite annoyed when I can not really export them properly. i do hope this can be improved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think it is a little bit easier than R and quite a lot faster than sass. though the price is not very affordable, i think it is still somehow fair. So I would still recommend this product to other people who need to analysis data.

I think it save my time when compare to other statistic product or software. it contain more feature than i expected.

Stata review by User in Higher Education

"User Friendly Statistical Analysis "

What do you like best?

I appreciate the ability to select statistical tests from a dropdown menu rather than having to code. This feature makes STATA very easy to use, but there are also youtube videos and other STATA resources that clarify when needed and can help ensure that you are performing the correct tests. I also like being able to quickly get basic statistics on my data sets, which are also easy to import. It is also helpful that graphs can be changed manually once they are generated (i.e. changing font/size, colors, labels).

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I have issues with excluding variables or certain values for variables. I also do not like that there is not a free university edition so I tend to purchase 6 months at a time when I need it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are in need of assistance, I would recommend watching a youtube video on your issue. There are many available for various STATA functions.

Meta-analysis is performed on STATA which is useful for analysis going into manuscripts.

Stata review by Sara C.
Assistant Professor
Higher Education

"Easy to learn, but less flexible than R"

What do you like best?

Stata is very easy to pick up, and many functions can be accomplished through the menus, although things are faster with some programming skill. Troubleshooting is typically fairly straightforward -- the program's help function is good, and most other problems can be solved by searching online.

What do you dislike?

Stata is not as flexible as R (the other major statistical program used in my field), although the learning curve is much less steep. The graphics are also not as stylish, although there are some customization options.

Recommendations to others considering the product

One issue with Stata is that the ease of use (especially being able to select complex models and options through the menu) can make it too easy to run models that the user doesn't really know how to interpret. So, be careful with this and be sure to double check with a statistics text or colleague as appropriate to ensure you're interpreting results correctly.

Excellent for cleaning and managing data and for running standard statistical models.

Stata review by Gabriel O.
IT
Program Development

"STATA for big data manipulations"

What do you like best?

I am a STATA guru with version STATA SE, this is the biggest database version for manipulating extensive data sets. The computer to handle this needs to have a large memory to allow for large data volumes to be manipulated.

What do you dislike?

The codes and coming up with query commands take a fairly long time and this needs patience, dedication, and accuracy. The time taken to code a complete command can take a minimum of 30 and a maximum of 50 hours. The results manipulation and interpretation will also require expertise and prior experience in statistics.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would strongly recommend STATA to firms, institutions and individuals with large datasets.

By using STATA I can generate varied data set to compare sales or business trends of a given product and this can enable me to make a decision on a business or the given product. I can also have a review of different companies employing vast data sets for an effective conclusion and review on the same.

Stata review by User

"Easy to learn, great functionality, wide use"

What do you like best?

I use Stata almost every day for my academic and industry-related data analysis tasks. It has an easy interface, commands are well explained inside the 'help' section and online manual, wide community support (Stata list is helpful). Has all necessary statistical methods implemented inside - allows me to perform any tests I like. Has as well nice data visualization tools (e.g. regression table output).

What do you dislike?

It is quite slow when working with large datasets, it needs also a lot of CPU memory, might require a server computer. It is as well not suited for working with loops and complicated algorithms - makes it necessary to combine Stata with other programming languages and tools (such as SQL).

It is quite expensive generally speaking, might be pricey for students.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great to learn data analysis. Needs basic programming understanding, no advanced skills required. Great manual with many examples as well as additional documentation online.

I do empirical tests of my research ideas on large datasets. I use Stata for solving any data analysis problems to find correlational and causal effects in the field of Organizational Design and Innovation. It is applicable to any business area. I also teach Stata basics at my Experimental Methods masters level class. The software is widely accepted in both research and industry (Data Science) community.

Stata review by Mohamad H.
Clinical Research Intern
Hospital & Health Care
(10,001+ employees)

"Good, simple alternative to R or SPSS"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, not needed to know how to code although it has the potential to make commands via a command line. A very wide range of parametric and nonparametric tests. Useful tests and visualizations of data and rather easy to find them.

What do you dislike?

Slightly difficult to edit data. Statistical outputs are sometimes difficult to interpret due to the nuances of the software in presenting values (e.g. p-values, hypotheses, etc.). It can be somewhat temperamental when switching between data sets and multiple variables.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider the power you need in statistical analysis. This may be a bit more cumbersome to use than R or SPSS if you are familiar with coding. Having never used a dedicated statistical software before STATA I would recommend it for familiarizing oneself with certain statistical tests.

Used in a strictly biostatistical academic setting, I can tell it has the potential to analyze trends in even large-scale sets of biomedical data.

Stata review by Joshua C.
Research Associate
Biotechnology

"Stata"

What do you like best?

I find it more helpful than other products for stuff like robust estimation.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the concept of a do list. I also found it really annoying that as soon as I hit enter, it would try to run a command, even if the command I want to type/code is so long that I need line breaks. And as with any programming software, typing a lot of stuff and remembering what to type is always annoying.

Even though I'm primarily a SAS user, I found it a lot easier to figure out how to do stuff like meta-analysis or propensity score matching on Stata than on SAS. Sure, SAS definitely has a lot more advantages than Stata (and SPSS too, lol), but Stata definitely shines more in these regards.

Stata review by Nicholas C.
Partner Services Coordinator

"Great for beginners and experts alike"

What do you like best?

Stata is a popular platform for public policy analyses. In my opinion, its layout is more clean than competitors like SPSS. The code is fairly simple to learn and the dialogue boxes assist you in doing that.

What do you dislike?

Stata has product levels that limit the number of variables one can do. Many people are starting to leave the paid statistics/econometrics platforms for R, a free open-source platform.

Stata makes it easy to rapidly and simply clean data and get preliminary results. One of the biggest benefits is that Stata is a tool that helps users get better at using it!

Stata review by Misty R.
Research Assistant
(10,001+ employees)

"Powerful and intuitive statistical software"

What do you like best?

As a person with little prior programming experience, I have found Stata to be, by far, the easiest statistical software to learn while still having impressive analytical and reproducible capabilities. Stata is always adding analytical tools to its repertoire as well, so updates are worth getting.

What do you dislike?

Stata is prohibitively expensive for some individuals and companies, especially if it is for shorter-term or limited use. Increasingly, people are choosing R over Stata for this reason (although I find R more difficult to use).

Recommendations to others considering the product

If R and/or SAS are intimidating, but SPSS doesn't meet your needs, Stata is the program you need.

I use Stata for academic research, so it is my main work tool. Because most others in my field also use it, it facilitates collaboration.

Stata review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Best for Data Analysis"

What do you like best?

Not the best for data manipulation but great for performing statistical analysis especially for development of advanced models such as GLM regression. I like that I don't have to type in a lot of code to get what I want. I also love that post-estimation regression commands are available to carry out marginal analysis and check for model validity

What do you dislike?

A bit clumsy if you want to manipulate , manage, clean and organize data especially large data such as health care administrative data sets. I find that SAS is better with that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have only used SAS, STATA and SPSS but I feel that STATA is great for statistical analysis especially for new users. It is very intuitive and easy to use compared to SAS since there is not as much coding involved and the outputs are easy to understand.

Health Care Data Analysis for Research involving population health questions on numerous diseases and policy based research.

Stata review by Gautam A.
Graduate Teaching Assistant
Higher Education

"Great way to do data crunching!"

What do you like best?

Stata is really convenient to use. Data crunching has become easier for social scientists due to this software. The commands are comparatively easy to use and the help tools are very effective too.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really as of now. But may be making drawings and graphs can be improved. Currently, I have to spend lot of time making these graphs and they do not turn out to be really nice.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Stata is very useful and not so difficult to use. Very useful for graduate students and research professionals

As a PhD student and a Graduate Assistant, I participate in various research studies where I work with datasets. Stata helps me with this work in an important way.

Stata review by User in Higher Education

"Very nice software but can be more user friendly."

What do you like best?

Coding is simple and gets the job done. Doesn't do such a good job with fixed effects models though.

What do you dislike?

Fixed effect models take forever.

Not AI smart. If it can work on the AI aspect a little bit, then it would be amazing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's simple, easy to use and gets the job done in most cases unless you are into really complicated stuff where it would be better to invest in alternative softwares. However, it does it's job very well for whats expected of it. Therefore, can't complain at all with the simplicity and ease of use in getting the job done. The standard version is slightly expensive but they also have a student version which is cheaper but allows fewer variables.

Regression models, logit, probit, Difference in difference models, IV, GMM models. Stata is very easy to learn and the online support available for problem is amazing.

Stata review by User

"You can do regressions, charts, plots and whatever you want."

What do you like best?

It is one of the best data programs and used by many people. The wide use of Stata allows you to find solutions and ideas from other people on online platforms. The help guide of the program solves your expectations most of the time. It is compatible with both PC and Mac.

What do you dislike?

For people who are new to the program might feel a bit confused at the beginning. It takes time to know what you should do to create what you want. It is a bit expensive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you think about buying this product and you will need for a long time, you can opt to life-time package option.

It is perfect to see the relationship between variables and also to get a regression model about what you are working on. I can figure out the relationships which help me to analyze an issue.

Stata review by User

"Good for statistical analysis in economics, but expensive. "

What do you like best?

The fact that a lot of people in my field use it as well, so there is a big support system and online community to turn to. The more professional versions are faster too, but you need to pay more for them.

What do you dislike?

The fact that you need a license and it is very expensive to get one if your organization is not paying for it. By now, there are better open source options that are becoming more popular and gainig the upper hand, so it needs to keep up.

I run statistical and econometric analysis for my research. I make tables and graphs for presentations and research papers. Major benefit is learning to conduct research and write Stata code.

Stata review by User

"Elegant program, nuanced interface to learn w/ limited online resources"

What do you like best?

Stata is very powerful, allows for indepth analysis. Once you learn how to use it, it can be used for virtually any analysis, but the learning curve is steep. Graphing functions and elegant analyses are the pros.

What do you dislike?

Learning the tricks to using stata can be difficult. Unforgiving data editor. Limited online resources when you run into problems. Stata is also for unforgiving when trying to reshape data from wide to long format. Trying to find the correct verbiage online is troublesome.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Find someone you know that uses Stata and learn from them. Unlike R, there is little "open-source" resources to exploit in the online communities of users

Stata allows for robust panel regressions for strategy and management research. Stata also allows for calculating complex interactions w/out having to manually dummy code different variables.

Stata review by Heidi R.
Graduate Research Associate
(10,001+ employees)

"I couldn't do my work without Stata"

What do you like best?

Stata is very flexible and has the capacity to do anything from simple data description and basic analysis to advanced programming and data manipulation. I like the additional functionality that user written ado files allow, the replication and error-reduction of do files, and many other features.

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything, honestly. One thing that could improves is the graphing and plotting display options. Specifically, it would be nice if they had the ability for some "smart" formatting so that legends, labels, titles, etc. would automatically not run out of the margins or overlap with other labels. Often, the graphics produced by Stata are not usable for presentations or publications and I must completely rework them in other software to make them presentable.

I am a social scientist and use Stata for data manipulation and management and data analysis in many of my projects. I use Stata nearly every day and it saves me tons of time and allows me to do things that would not be possible without it.

Stata review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer

"Fast but Not Flexible "

What do you like best?

Stata is very good at taking in medium to large data sets and running economic regressions. It is speedier at doing so than many other similar programs.

What do you dislike?

The options for data structure are rather limited compared to other similar programs such as R. There is also a cap of around 2 billion observations that can be used at any one time. It's not easy to run into, but if you have more than 2B observations it can be a pain.

I do economic research at a large university, and use STATA to assist in this. Usually my work requires cleaning data, running regressions, and outputting tables and results. Stata can do this in a pretty straightforward way, and ultimately I am happy with the software.

Stata review by Nikardi J.
Research Assistant
Research

"Data Analysis Made Simple with STATA"

What do you like best?

STATA is really easy to use. Not only is the software point-and-click, but if you want you can also directly code your STATA commands into the command box. STATA uses simplified language which is a huge asset to those who are not familiar with coding procedures.Unlike SAS, which has lengthy coding requirements for running commands, STATA code only requires the bare minimum to get the statistical analysis that you need.

What do you dislike?

Variable names are case-sensitive, which means you always need to reference back to the variable list to make sure you are using the correct variable.

STATA support does not really have a helpful website for users to get their questions answered.

Recommendations to others considering the product

STATA is good for those who are new to statistical analysis.

I primarily use STATA for analysis of complex survey data. It is easy to put in the weight, clusters and strata variables (ex:svyset psu variable [pweight=weight variable] , strata(stratum variable)) at the beginning and use svy: (STATA code) to write all subsequent commands. STATA makes complex survey analysis simple. It is only necessary to set survey design characteristics once.

Stata review by User in Management Consulting

"Menu or Syntax -- your choice"

What do you like best?

If I don't know a command, but I know what kind of analysis I want to conduct, I can use the menu options (and then you add in specifics). Alternatively, if I know the command, I just type the syntax. In my opinion, it is the best of both worlds between SPSS, SAS, and Excel. It is user-friendly, but has somewhat of a learning curve. There are dozens of online support forums to aid with roadblocks when coding. Graphics are nice and it's quite easy to tweak to your liking.

What do you dislike?

Most analyses I have conducted on Stata were fairly straight-forward and easy, but sometimes the help option is not as clear as it could be.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Spend time learning how the software works. The best way to learn Stata is to get in the nitty-gritty and explore whatever datasets you have.

Stata is designated for data analysis and research. You can make connections, analyze microdata, visualize trends, etc.

Stata review by Billy C.
Teaching Assistant/Instructor/Doctorate Student

"not favored but still useful"

What do you like best?

It is not hard to learn this software with a guidebook. You could generate similar graphs to what you could get from other statistical programs such as R or Jump through STATA.

What do you dislike?

In terms of running complicated models, I would use another statistical program Mplus rather than STATA, Specifically, it is easier to run structural equation models in Mplus than in STATA.

Recommendations to others considering the product

STATA should be free and it is not hard to learn it.

I used STATA to create pie charts, histograms, and box plots to visually present information to my colleagues. STATA is useful when I want to summarize what I have found in a dataset.

Stata review by User

"Using Stata to analyze experimental data"

What do you like best?

Stata works really well for analyzing data. One of the things I like most about Stata is that there a lot of resources for different types of analyses you may need to do. You can Google almost any question you would have about Stata and have several articles that help answer your questions.

What do you dislike?

While Stata works fairly well, contrast coding in Stata is not as easily done as in other programs. In addition, some packages for mediation (Hayes 2013) that are very easy to run in SPSS and SAS are not as easy to run in Stata.

I use Stata to analyze experimental data.

"STATA in Econometrics"

What do you like best?

We have been using STATA in our econometrics courses in my doctoral program and while there was an initial learning curve, it is convenient to use for regression analysis. I like the support given to SAS and the numerous forums out there that help users who have trouble using Stata.

What do you dislike?

I currently have not had any problems with STATA. My colleagues tell me that it can crash with extremely large datasets but that has not happened with me yet. However, I have noticed that it does not run as smoothly as SAS.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend other users to use STATA as it is an excellent learning and application tool for school and work.

We run STATA to run regression equations. It's consistent, dependable, and easy to use.

Stata review by User in Higher Education

"Steep learning curve for non-statistitians "

What do you like best?

I use STATA mostly for evaluating the connection between diet and health outcomes. I'm able to cleanly upload nutritional and physiological data and generate complex risk ratios, models, etc

What do you dislike?

As a nutrition major in my undergrad, I had absolutely no contact with the software. As a grad student, I found learning the STATA "language" to be quite difficult; the syntax for different commands doesn't always align and it's hard to keep everything straight. I keep a cheat-sheet of commands to work around this.

STATA eliminates countless hours of wasting time generating new variables, labels, recoding, etc. We are using STATA to standardize data from thousands of different sources, for which it's been extremely valuable.

Stata review by User in Sports

"Useful, once you learn how to use it"

What do you like best?

I like how you can use the pull down menus or use coding to manipulate the data. The pull down menus are great when learning how to use the software. The do files make it easy to redo analysis you've done previously, and check how you've cleaned the data.

What do you dislike?

I do not like how Stata generates graphics. Although Stata is useful for manipulating data and running statistical tests, I usually export that information and generate graphics in other software, such as Excel.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Learn the coding as soon as possible because it is way more accessible than the drop down menus.

It allows for in depth analysis to inform policy recommendations. You just have to be careful about what variables you are using and make sure you are making the correct comparisons to answer your research question. You also have to be careful how the data you're importing is coded -- for example missing data can be coded as 9999999 which can skew numerical measures if you don't clean the data properly.

Stata review by Daniel Q.
Instructor
Higher Education

"Great piece of statistical software"

What do you like best?

Very reliable. It can be difficult to learn, but the ease of writing do files is really helpful. From there, you can save the files and edit/reuse them. Being able to simply Google other commands and add packages is great as well.

What do you dislike?

Learning various commands can be difficult, particularly if you don't use the software on a regular basis.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get familiar with the coding.

I use it primarily for program evaluation, which can involve anything from running frequencies to statistical significance tests for categorical data.

Stata review by User in Higher Education

"Easy to use and packed with functionality"

What do you like best?

The syntax is really easy to grasp, and the fact that there are many ways to accomplish a task (through a do-file, the console, or just the toolbar) makes it really convenient and easy to use.

What do you dislike?

Can take a while to process actions influencing a large number of records. For instance, using the matchit function to perform a fuzzy match on a couple thousand records often left me waiting for a good half hour.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product, by all means go ahead and purchase. Well worth the subscription price.

At the moment, I am using Stata for a research project investigating how low equity levels in banks can hamper the trnasimission of monetary policy. I've realized that Stata is a very powerful tool, and that you can add a lot of functionality through the open source plug ins that developers are constantly producing.

Stata review by User in Research

"I use STATA for academic research in education."

What do you like best?

I like Stata's help interface the best about the program. I often learn things about statistics I would not otherwise have known or thought of for the particular model I am running through the help interface.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that STATA can only open one graph at a time. It makes me save a graph before I can open a second one, so if I run multiple lines of code with multiple graphs in them it is impossible to see the first graph and impossible to compare the graphs side by side.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take a course!

I am not working on business problems, so I have not realized any benefits specifically related to business.

Stata review by Jou-Fei H.
Board Member
Higher Education

"Easy to use statistic software"

What do you like best?

It is super easy to use. And they provide with customer service to answer all the statistic related questions and how to solve that on Stata. It is easy to code in new data points than R.

What do you dislike?

The pricing is a little higher. And if other people share a .dta file with a new version, I could not open that file in my older version of Stata.

Recommendations to others considering the product

it is easy to conduct regressional analysis and multilevel models. Not a software for doing the graphs. It is super complex and time-consuming to draw a graph by Stata

Mostly regarding my research. It is great to deal with a large amount of data.

Stata review by Jihye K.
Research assistant

"Great data analysis tool"

What do you like best?

do file and syntax. Those do files make easy to reproduce results whenever I need.

What do you dislike?

I would like to delete the error records sometime from log, it would be great if I can delete such as by clicking the red color record.

Data analysis for research. Many online resources are available.

Stata review by User

"Useful research software with professional support and wide use"

What do you like best?

Strong support, ease of use. Many functions for epidemiology, econometrics, etc have native support and simple syntax.

What do you dislike?

Could be a more robust user community; as-is, Stata has a lot of packages but sits on the line between a robust statistical language and a sort-of browser driven

Running analyses on a variety of data sources for multiple partners and internal operations. Easy to use and has much of the functionality you need; can get 90% of the way to a detailed analysis and report before bringing your work into LaTeX or MS Word.

Stata review by User in Higher Education

"Very convenient and easy to use software"

What do you like best?

In the last, I’ve been handed projects which needed to be completed in STATA. Given that I had no prior experience with STATA, I dutifully sought out a manual and learned various commands and how to generally maneuver the software. I guess, my point is that it’s so easy to use and even a beginner like me was able to complete works and college projects without any formal training. I also love that the commands are simple to remember.

What do you dislike?

There’s not much I dislike about the STATA. Sometimes I find that it’s easy to input a incorrect command and mess up my data but that it more of a user issue than a software issue.

I’ve completed regression projects for both college and work. I was able to seamlessly produce reports and graphs of my findings. Currently, I work on training students on how the uses and applications of STATA.

Stata review by User

"User-friendly program for coding and analyzing data"

What do you like best?

I find the interface easy to navigate. I like being able to see the data in spreadsheet format to scan for issues. I like the new graphics editor though... (see just below)

What do you dislike?

There is a bit of a start-up cost to learning how to use the help menus. I love the graphics editor - BUT I wish it would spit back the command that would create the graphic you made. That way I could automate that command for all my graphics in my do-file. If you can make it in the image editor, there is a command for it. I wish they would integrate a backward feature so you can extract the command. I would make more graphics in stata if they did

Coding and analyzing data

"Stata"

What do you like best?

I like that you can copy and paste cvs files as data. I find the help command really useful. I also like that it is easy to merge datasets. I also like that I'm able to link it to dropbox so it updates the dofiles.

What do you dislike?

Commands change between updates so sometimes Mgen will work in my office on campus but not when I work on my laptop remotely. Sometimes I have to update files.

I use stata to analyze large datasets and great tables. It is useful to help create tables in stata.

Stata review by User

"Powerful and industry standard statistical software"

What do you like best?

Great manual with examples and explanation. Point and click and command typing method of analyzing data. Powerful customization by entering user created analysis available online.

What do you dislike?

Exporting results to Microsoft Excel need to be improved, currently difficult to select a portion of table or output you really need to be exported. Visualisation options are fairly limited, especially for creating interactive graphs and scatter plots. Online collabortion features are not available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

R statistical software, free to use but less user-friendly. SPSS or SAS, depending on your familiarity and your budget

Healthcare problems, big-data analysis, clinical trials data

Stata review by Swati A.
Student Technician
Higher Education

"Statistical analysis using Stata"

What do you like best?

Stata gives an easy and user friendly interface which can be used for performing statistical analysis of large datasets for business and research purposes.

What do you dislike?

It does not have fancy gui and plots like tableau but that’s only because it’s for more sophisticated purposes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Experiment a lot with various datasets there are a lot of features you can explore on your own

I am working on a research for school districts where a huge amount of teachers need to be recruited and their data needs to be stored. It has benefited me by giving me a platform to analyze precise data.

Stata review by User in Higher Education

"Stata improving in online support"

What do you like best?

As a user of both R and Stata, for years one would find more online support for R, given the open source community supporting it. But the Stata support is improving dramatically. Many of the packages available for R are slowly being integrated into Stata’s functionality

What do you dislike?

Bottom line, the graphics in Stata are not as good as those in R. Stata graphing is memory intensive, and the edits can take a long time. The ggplot parameters in R are much easier to manipulate, in my opinion.

We use state for empirical estimations and building output into reports using TeX code. The overall ease of the estimations, data management, and building estimation tables is great.

"Great statistical softwre"

What do you like best?

I like the east to use functions on STATA. It has drop down menus and codes that you an right to run your analysis. Also, the user manual is very helpful when you get stuck.

What do you dislike?

So far I haven't figured out anything I dislike about STATA.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend STATA for your statistical analyses. Not only does it analyse simple data but it is also able to analyse complex methods such as SEM and HLM

STATA help be to analyze date. It even includes HLM and SEM analysis which id very helpful to me.

Stata review by User

"easy to learn but expensive "

What do you like best?

Stata does most of what you need a statistical software to do and it is fairly easy to learn for someone who does not have much experience with coding. Do files make it so that it is easy to retrieve your work and rerun it at a later date.

What do you dislike?

rough around the edges when it comes to graphs, can't do much outside of the basics of regression and statistical analyses. Very expensive for what it has to offer

Recommendations to others considering the product

expensive for the quality, invest in learning r

dissertation work and research

Stata review by User

"Stata is a great tool for teaching basics statistics"

What do you like best?

The interface is fairly intuitive and it is the best tool for teaching introductory biostatistics to graduate students.

What do you dislike?

Stata is not adequate for more demanding statistical exercises, for example, we transition out of Stata during upper-level biostatistics classes in graduate school.

I use Stata primarily for research and academic activities so I have not solved any business problems. However, as I mentioned, it serves as an extremely valuable teaching tool and my introductory statistics courses have benefitted tremendously from using Stata as the primary software.

Stata review by User in Higher Education

"Simple and good tool for statistical analysis"

What do you like best?

STATA is very user friendly for simple statistical tasks, there are basic coding requirements that are easy to follow to analyze publishable data. Additionally, there are several statistical comparisons that can be made for the large clinical trial datasets we work with and Stata is commonly used in the epidemiological world so analyses are well-known

What do you dislike?

The price of Stata and compatibility with analyzing large biomedical datasets (such as RNASequencing data) is not as easy to do and are not well-used features of the software. Other software, such as R, are also fairly user-friendly and are freely available and can perform more complex bioinformatics analyses.

Statistical analyses of large clinical trial datasets are easy to input and perform tests on

Stata review by Lorenzo J.
Mortgage Support Officer
Banking

"Great software with poor user interface"

What do you like best?

The handling of a large amount of data for academic research is excellent

What do you dislike?

It is not easy to use for complete beginners

Recommendations to others considering the product

Buy a manual or take a class before using it.

Stata allows to analyze various factors within an organization or in an economic system and generate a regressional analysis capable to tell a narrative that otherwise would have been possible to take into consideration.

Stata review by User

"Stata for economic research"

What do you like best?

I think that Stata is the best statistical software for microeconomic research. The commands are intuitive and doesn't require a lot of complicated coding.

What do you dislike?

Stata still needs improvements when it comes to time-series data

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look up help online, there are tons of help

I usually use it for data management and statistical analysis for economic papers

Stata review by Iryna S.
Visiting Scholar

"Easier than R"

What do you like best?

A significant amount of user manuals and a great support system

What do you dislike?

Coding an be counter intuitive at times

Recommendations to others considering the product

Start with a trial period before you invest

Quick and easy way to analyze any data set - no matter the size