Strider

Strider is an Open Source Continuous Deployment / Continuous Integration platform. It is written in Node.JS / JavaScript and uses MongoDB as a backing store. It is published under the BSD license. Strider is extremely customizable through plugins.

Work for Strider?

Learning about Strider?

Strider Reviews

Showing 10 Strider reviews
Strider review by <span>Giovanni L.</span>
Giovanni L.

Simple, easy but somewhat buggy. When it works, it's exactly what I need

What do you like best?

It is really, really simple to set up and to get started, the interface is clean and simple.

It runs fine even on really cheap machines

I think it is perfectly suited for small/medium business

Excellent hackability, via the plugin system.

I would recommend it as a first step in the continuous integration worldI would recommend it as a first step in the continuous integration world

What do you dislike?

It's kind of buggy. Actually I never encountered critical, showstopper bugs, but rather an amount of small and annoying little bugs. For example I had to activate debug strings in order to understand why bitbucket integration did not work.

It is also subject to some regressions in bugs, especially on the angular frontend

Could be better documented, as I found myself teaching the same things over and over to our programmers.

The plugin ecosystem is rather small,

Recommendations to others considering the product

Update often

Read issues on github

As now it is our tool for managing testing and deployment of our applications.

We moved from scripted (grunt) testing and build solutions to a centralized system with slack notification in a couple of days.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Strider
Strider review by <span>Hari G.</span>
Hari G.

An excellent alternative to Jenkins

What do you like best?

It was pretty easy to set up (see cons), and it runs absolutely smoothly. Now I get to control the system where the tests run!

What do you dislike?

Setting up Strider got tricky when I got around to configuring the plugins, especially Github and Heroku, which needed custom environment variables with plugin-specific keys to work properly. However, better (well-written) documentation for the plugins themselves would take care of this. The actual process wasn't difficult. Figuring out what was needed took longer than it should have.

Also, Strider's 'job runner' is configured by picking a set of plugins to run, in order. I didn't like how it wasn't possible to pick a plugin to run multiple times - you can only add a plugin to the pipeline 'once' - I'm not sure why that limitations exist. And even though the plugins are ordered, each plugin can add commands to be run for each of the job stages (environment -> prepare -> test -> deploy -> cleanup). This is slightly confusing - these two hierarchies are mixed somehow when it finally runs the job. Again better documentation could clear this up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You'll need a day or two to set this up, and be patient with the documentation. Read through before starting, and keep it nearby to help you with any doubts you might have.

It has replaced TravisCI and CircleCI (which our team used previously), and I don't feel anything is lacking because of the switch. Costs are lower because all we have to pay for is the monthly fee of the DigitalOcean instance (2 GB) which it runs on, and maintenance is non-existent. Best of all, we're free of the frequent test failures that occurred on both Travis and Circle (because of timing issues, or system dependency issues).

What Continuous Deployment solution do you use?

Strider review by <span>Johan - Manos H.</span>
Johan - Manos H.

Excellent free CI tool to replace Jenkins and CircleCI!

What do you like best?

The best things Strider has to offer compared with other similar CI are:

* Helpful active developers

* Easy to use

* Pleasing to eyes (I am looking to you Jenkins)

* Integrated with Github makes it a breeze to add new projects to the CI circle

* All the above while being free and open-source

What do you dislike?

Strider is very nice but still there are a few tiny glitches in the interface. When it comes to functionality however I didn't have a single problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Strider is much better than Jenkins by providing functionality and an interface similar to CircleCI while still being open-source and free. Really worth the try.

Strider was used mostly for CI while developing my own projects or developing in a TDD fashion for a company since it's very fast and easy to setup any project to use Strider as long as it's on Github.

Strider review by <span>Oliver S.</span>
Oliver S.

Strider is essential in our development infrastructure

What do you like best?

Strider is versatile, easy to extend and adapt to the needs of the project. It's easy to get into improving it and adjusting it to the needs of your software ecosystem.

What do you dislike?

It would be great if there were more active contributors. But Strider already provides everything we currently need.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Strider is easy to get into. It's worth giving it a shot. Once you start using it, it's easy to extend in case it doesn't fit your needs perfectly.

Strider is integral in our testing and deployment process. We have custom-tailored it to our specific needs of wrapping up branch-specific deployment packages of our different software modules.

Strider review by Administrator in Computer Software

Strider is surprisingly amazing

What do you like best?

It's a legitimate open source alternative to something like TravisCI in my beloved node.js!

The Interface is way better than the screenshots make it look - it's actually very familiar coming from other CI platforms. It has all of the features that I would expect to find in a production CI platform.

What do you dislike?

I'd really love the ability to have Strider automate scripts that are NOT in Git/GitHub repositories. For instance, I might want to use CI to kick off a child process that I've installed with simple bash command, or any small temporal task like that.

Setting up a continuous integration and build platform to run company infrastructure. After being frustrated by off the shelf solutions, we wanted something more custom, and Strider fit the bill.

Strider review by G2 Crowd User in Investment Banking
G2 Crowd User in Investment Banking

Strider

What do you like best?

My favorite bit about Strider CD is the fact that it's written in web technologies and JavaScript. This gives me unparalleled access to the source code, which allows me to dig deep if I have problems unlike other CD solutions out there.

What do you dislike?

I would have loved Strider to have provide a SaaS service wherein I could just configure it to run my builds.

I was using Strider just for experimentation purposes for my personal projects.

Learning about Strider?

* We monitor all Strider reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.