Study Island

Study Island is a leading academic software provider of standards-based assessment, instruction, and test preparation e-learning programs.

Work for Study Island?

Learning about Study Island?

Categories

Study Island Reviews

Showing 9 Study Island reviews
Study Island review by <span>Rainah P.</span>
Rainah P.

Great Test Taking Practice

What do you like best?

I love that the questions are tech enhanced! The fact that the resources will differentiate based on student levels is unbeatable as far as I am concerned.

What do you dislike?

I would like to see more questions in the test bank. Some standards have multiple examples but some have very few. With a more even playing field, the program would be even more user friendly!

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend learning how to use the Build Test library and pulling reports. You can really see the value of the program when you use these key features. The kids like the games aspect, but I would set the cut score to 70% or higher.

We are trying to expose our students to test-taking software and formats before they are expected to complete online testing. This software has helped to build our students' stamina and patience with the test taking system. The gains are immeasurable.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Study Island
Study Island review by <span>Cortnee P.</span>
Cortnee P.

Study Island

What do you like best?

Study Island offers grade- and subject-specific benchmark assessments. These are aligned practice tools we use for our kiddos as exit tickets on a daily basis.

What do you dislike?

It's not the most engaging. The texts could be more interesting and they should add graphics or more appealing information. Many of the students find the activities to be a little boring. Therefore, Study Island is not really the kind of program that the average student is eager to jump on and get going.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The program is a bit hard to navigate. Take some time and bookmark places you want to get to quickly because it can be hard to find a specific page twice.

I love the downloadable materials available by standard and focus. Teachers may also access lesson plans for specific skills if necessary. There is plenty of supplemental work to push your students where they need it.

What Study Tools solution do you use?

Study Island review by <span>Jennifer C.</span>
Jennifer C.

When you want to know what your student's can do

What do you like best?

I like that the students area given stepping blocks and lessons when they do not get an answer correct. It is also great that you can create your own assessments and truly target the skills that you are working on in the classroom.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that once a student doesn't master a topic, they have to overcome that bad grade average before it will show them mastered. Students become frustrated when they have to take 100+ questions to get to the mastery level, even if those questions are correctly answered.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have the time to properly implement the program. Students love this program and are typically very engaged in the program. I find they can use it both at home and at school which is great for parents too. There is a strong correlation between the results we see with this program and the results on our standardized assessments.

We are using it to get a good picture of what our students are able to do outside of instruction. Teachers can use the program to guide their classroom instruction and know how to group students. Students will be able to know where they are with any given concept and have lessons to work on around that concept. We used it at our school to help us predict how students would do on our standardized state assessment. It worked great as a predictor.

Study Island review by <span>Neal C.</span>
Neal C.

It works and can be useful

What do you like best?

The software is useful, and can help students improve their class performance and perhaps test scores.

What do you dislike?

I wish it was more flexible. That may just be my own inflexibility, but that is my opinion.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it and you time to become acclimated. Do not rush to judgment. You may regret hasty decisions. I was resistant to the product due to loyalty to another software, and that may have had a negative impact on my experience. Patience is usually rewarded.

We use it to help student test performance, and it may have worked in time.

Study Island review by User in Higher Education

Differentiation at your Fingertips

What do you like best?

Study Island allows for immediate data tracking in the classroom. Not only are students given assignments and practice lessons based on an initial pre-test, they are constantly provided work that is meant to improve their knowledge. The ability to differentiate student instruction, without spending an inordinate amount of time planning, means each student is receiving more student-centered instructional time than before.

What do you dislike?

The only issues with Study Island are that it always appears extremely test-based. Students are required to answer multiple-choice questions the majority of the time, and they are always it what appears to be the standardized testing environment. You are absolutely able to answer questions and help students with work, but they always have ten questions to answer on a topic, and it is always multiple-choice. The result of this testing-style approach is that most students despise using the software and must be bribed to complete work in the system. They absolutely see improvement in their abilities, but it is very much a struggle to motivate them to try.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Study Island is a great software for improving student abilities. However, students easily become burned out on the constant monotony of a testing environment, and start refusing to try or work in the program. I have found it best to designate a single day of the week for Study Island, so students are not overworked in the program. It can also be used as an enrichment activity once students finish their regular classroom assignments.

This software was purchased for students who are behind in reading and math skills. The software was then implemented in lab classes, where students receive more individualized instructional time, and more direct counseling with teachers. This has been a great tool for those students who struggle with reading skills, or are significantly behind their peers.

Study Island review by User in Higher Education

Great for State Testing Prep

What do you like best?

I like that students can work independently. I used Study Island for both my academic classes as well as my AP course.

What do you dislike?

I wanted a wider variety of questions and the ability to import my own questions from other test prep resources.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Study Island is a great way for you to differentiate your instruction!

I was able to assign students to do review work or extra credit work on topics they had missed in class throughout the semester or assign topics they were still struggling with at the end of the semester. You can customize assignments based on students' needs as well.

Learning about Study Island?

* We monitor all Study Island reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.
Categories