Substance Designer

Substance Designer is a node-based non-destructive application that edit complete texture sets fast with the non-linear workflow and see your changes apply simultaneously to all your outputs.

Work for Substance Designer?
Keyshot logo  3d rendering  2x

Learning about Substance?

Compare Substance Designer to Similar Solutions

Substance Designer Reviews

Ask Substance a Question
Showing 18 Substance reviews
Substance review by <span>Anika M.</span>
Anika M.

A wonderful tool to use!

What do you like best?

I love that you can take items and change the texture and image in one spot. You can make something look however you want with the ease of just your computer.

What do you dislike?

I wasn't someone who was hired on at my job to work with design elements, but every once and a while I was asked to help create graphics and videos. When that happened I loved using the Substance Designer. We also had the whole texturing suite with the designer, painter, b2m, and source.

Recommendations to others considering the product

So there are a few options for purchasing Substance Designer. Always start by using the free trial to see if it truly is something you want to use. After that, you can purchase the designer by itself for a few different prices yearly. The first is an Indie License at $149, next is the Pro License at $990. You can also purchase the Texturing Suite like we did for a monthly and yearly option. For the Indie License suite package, it is $19.90 monthly or $239 a year, the package price for the Pro License is $99 a month or $990 a year. So they have a great deal for all levels you need!

It helped us make even the smallest detail perfect in all of our marketing materials and videos. It was a great tool to make sure that our products stood out!

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Substance Designer
Substance review by User in Entertainment
User in Entertainment

Substance Makes Texturing A Breeze

What do you like best?

Substance makes real time texture editing a breeze. It's a great program that has simplicity in mind and makes it a great program for everyone from beginners to professionals in the industry. Learning how to make textures from scratch is a phenomenal tool when you may not be best at photo manipulation, but can learn procedural textures quickly.

What do you dislike?

I would like to see some consolidation in the interface, it's a great program but unless you are working with 2+ screens the interface and different menu's that are key to success can sometimes hinder your view/work size.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Substance Painter is another sister fantastic program that you can switch between from. If you are using photos to create textures, CrazyBump also makes normals an ease.

The ability to make realistic textures in a short time has drastically improved work flow and timelines.

What 3D Rendering solution do you use?

Substance review by <span>Bruno A.</span>
Bruno A.

Amazing piece of software

What do you like best?

Fast, responsive, made specifically for game development, fits perfectly into the game dev pipeline. Replaces several more expensive tools. Support is very responsive and they quickly address the issues brought up by the users.

Very easy to use, but the tool is also incredibly deep.

The user interface is a great example for others to follow.

What do you dislike?

If you want to dive very, very deep into the tool you'll see there's not much documentation about the more technical features, but that hasn't stopped me at all. If you're savvy and like to tinker around, you'll be just fine.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Download materials created by experienced users to understand their process. This will help you!

The tool is perfect to bring consistency to the art pipeline. Empowers people to create good work.

Substance review by User in Entertainment
User in Entertainment

Substance designer has changed the game

What do you like best?

What I like best about this program is how non destructive it's workflow can be. Using substance designer has changed the game for me. I can create endless materials and combinations for my 3D projects.

What do you dislike?

If anything I dislike, is that it may crash every once in a while. The program is fairly stable now, but ir can sometimes crash when using heavy nodes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This program is a game changer along with it's brother Substance Painter. The videos provided on youtube by them will help you get started on your journey. It will however take some practice to master it(just like any other program).

With substance designer I don't have to go and download pictures from the web to create my own tileables. By using this software I have control of what I want to create including the size. Software designer saves you the pain of using images that may not work for your texture, it will save you the resolution headaches.

Substance review by <span>Julien M.</span>
Julien M.

Substance Designer , the ultimate material creator

What do you like best?

The Node-based system for the creation of material . His procedural and non destructive workflow.

I'm liking his limitless capabilities , we can create everything.

I also like , the reactivity of the support , and the very often upadates of the software.

What do you dislike?

It's a very complicated software for the new learners . It's required many many time to understand his functioning.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Despite the time it's required to understand , Substance Designer is a very great tools . He can nearly make everything you can imagine . Enjoy it !

Substance designer provide us the capacity to create from scratch differents materials and textures , that wee need for our different projects.

Substance review by <span>Ariana Jose V.</span>
Ariana Jose V.

Excellent tool

What do you like best?

I like that you can take items and change the texture and image in one spot. Learning how to make textures from scratch is a phenomenal tool when you may not be best at photo manipulation, but can learn procedural textures quickly.

What do you dislike?

There's not much documentation about the more technical features but that's all i really like the program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

He can nearly make everything you can imagine, you just need patience to learn to use the tool.

Learning about Substance Designer?

* We monitor all Substance Designer reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.

Compare Substance Designer to Similar Solutions