SugarSync

3.7

SugarSync allows you to Access/Sync/Share/Backup all your files, photos and music from any device. Use your own file structure with auto 2-way backup; no special folder required!

Work for SugarSync?

Learning about SugarSync?

SugarSync Reviews

Ask SugarSync a Question
Showing 27 SugarSync reviews
SugarSync review by Oscar d.
Oscar d.

"SugarSync is a great cloud service with some glitches"

What do you like best?

The ability to select which folders to sync on each device. It has versions and sometimes is a lifesaver in case of accidental modification of a file.

What do you dislike?

I have used it for like 5 years now, I have had some problems during that period, one time, it disappeared a lot of my files, hundreds, I couldn't find them anywhere. After contacting support, it resulted that an unknown issue caused my files to come orphan. They were on any folder nor the deleted items. The recovered my files, but I have to reorder them in the file structure, it was a pain.

Also support team is not good, I have contacted several times for different issues and regulary they respond as machines, without paying attention of what you are asking, almost like predefined answers to words in your questions... You have to insist and insist until they scale your issue to a different level, does people do read. They don't have telephone support on demand, but sometimes, if there is an issue, they suggest to make you a phone call and give you remote support (live).

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want a tough and manageable cloud service, this is the one.

The ability to share big files with people outside the organization, it also helps sharing folders with people that don't have SugarSync and of course, the main, it allows syncing files in almost real time between all my devices. I actively use 4 devices (work PC, home PC, laptop, mobile).

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about SugarSync
SugarSync review by AnnA L.
AnnA L.

"It syncs, it syncs always, it syncs!"

What do you like best?

I have been using SugarSync for over 5 years. Sugarsync has without problems synced towards 3 different PC, on mac, 4 different mobile phones, android tablet.

And my files are there - no matter on which unit I search for them.

I simply haven't got any syncing problem - but I do have my files. :-)

What do you dislike?

Not really dislike but this thing with sync, cloud directories etc is a bit complicated to get the grasp of.

So when I help colleges, customers to start using sugarsync some kind of infographic explaining would be great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Decide one folder to be the main synced folder. Add all othe folders in the main folder.

Clean up your directories so you don't sync files that don't need to be synced.

If syncing with several units - have the same folder structure on all.

This is relevent when starting any sync service.

I work with web and with presentations. So I constantly have to witch between PC and mac. (Checking the website or presentation works on either system.

Then I have all kind of images, templates in my file and I need to get these on a regular base. With sugarsync I have all my files no matter what platform I'm working from.

And the files are there! Always!

What File Storage and Sharing solution do you use?

SugarSync review by Tom B.
Tom B.

"Used to be good - but deleted data and no support"

What do you like best?

It allows syncing of any folder - and having been a user for at least 5 years (I think nearer ten) used to just work

What do you dislike?

It's deleted all the files in one of our directories. This has happened before - but I just undeleted them. This time they have disappeared from "deleted" too. I submitted a support request three days ago and heard nothing. I cannot have such an important function untrustworthy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't! If you do, make sure you take full, regular back-ups so you don't lose everything

Constant live back-up

Syncing files between team members - so we can work on same files despite being remote on laptops

SugarSync review by Administrator in Law Practice
Administrator in Law Practice

"SugarSync Works"

What do you like best?

Once SugarSync is up and running on a device, it provides excellent backup, with almost no effort or thought on your part. You don't have to save files to a particular folder - and I have SugarSync backing up the files I keep on OneDrive and DropBox too, as extra backup. I've been using SugarSync for about 7 years now, and have it installed on multiple devices. It's not cheap, but overall I'm a satisfied customer.

What do you dislike?

It's rather expensive, and their customer service isn't very consumer-friendly, to say the least. I wish SugarSync would do a better job of explaining the benefits of their service (versus competitors) to the general public.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for really good, independent file backup, and the ability to backup up files on multiple devices "as they are" without having to move files into a specific place in order to back them up, SugarSync is a great product overall.

Overall backup of all my files on all devices. I like having a "third party" company backing up files that are also stored on OneDrive and in DropBox.

SugarSync review by Michael B.
Michael B.

"The best way to backup constantly with little work"

What do you like best?

I like that SugarSync backs up any folder that I select automatically. I and most of the staff here, have SugarSync running always. Unlike Google Drive, where I can still back up anything I want into a single Drive folder, SugarSync uploads multiple folders without me having to do any extra organizing. The set up is extremely simple and the amount of storage they offer makes it easy for all of us to upload as much as we would like. It is great that I can access anything from my laptop, desktop, and mobile phone all through SugarSync. I never have to worry about not having something with me, as long as I have access to the Internet. There are so many cloud storage options out there, but SugarSync seems to be the easiest and most simple way to back up everything on any of your devices.

What do you dislike?

SugarSync, as expected, does slow down our network, as it puts a lot of weight on it with so many users backing up their devices. It doesn't cause much of a problem, but our network analyst can easily see how hard it is working. I do tend to get some unnecessary mail as an admin, but that is just my opinion. Others may want a play by play on what is happening with new users. I, on the other hand, would prefer not to be so informed about small things.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure that your network can handle SugarSync or do not have it running constantly.

SugarSync has helped us easily solve the issue of losing data. In the past, we have had server issues where all of our backed up data has been lost. Also, our employees often do not take the time to back up their devices to an external drive. SugarSync does everything for them. After an initial setup, there is so little for them to do. This insures that if anything is deleted, if we run into problems, or if someone is working on a new device or someone else's device, they can still access all of their files through SugarSync.

SugarSync review by Elisabeth G.
Elisabeth G.

"Great Storage Capacity Mediocre Interface"

What do you like best?

This service allowed for varying levels of storage usage and syncing over multiple devices with a high level of control - different folders could have different sync options.

What do you dislike?

I hated using the interface: Online access was cumbersome and the ap for smart phones and tablets was worse. While the system created a local folder that was easy enough to access/streamlined to your operating system, it did no good when trying to access files that were not locally stored.

I subscribed to this service for about 3 years. I no longer use it, as there are other cloud storage options available that are free or part of a free bundled service for something I already pay for. Over the course of the first year, this service allowed me to store and back-up data and access it through multiple devices. However, the company revamped the interface at least twice over that time frame and I did not experience added convenience through either.

SugarSync review by Natalie P.
Natalie P.

"Great solution for syncing two computers"

What do you like best?

I like that this program will keep certain folders on both my computers synced so that I have the same files in the same place on both computers. This keeps me more organized and efficient when trying to get my work done.

What do you dislike?

I had a very hard time understanding how this program worked. There are support documents but I feel they were hard to understand. It also seemed that the sync process took a very long time and slowed down other activities running on my computer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you work on two computers and need all your files synced - this is a great solution. It is also great if you are a photographer and want to keep your Lightroom libraries synced on both computers.

I am able to keep my client folders synced no matter what computer I am working on. It was frustrating when I took my Macbook air on a trip just to realize that the file was on the other computer. It's nice knowing that the files will stay synced and that I don't have to remember to put them in Dropbox any more.

SugarSync review by User in Oil & Energy
User in Oil & Energy

"SugarSync a great cloud option for small businesses"

What do you like best?

SugarSync allows our team to easily work off a single file structure in the cloud. Management controls the main account and is able to select which folders to share with users. We all work remotely so this is a perfect alternative to an in-office network. Tablet and mobile platforms are user friendly and make pulling up files on the go a simple task.

What do you dislike?

Some users experience difficulties getting SugarSync to cooperate with their system. One user in particular has had to reinstall the program and resync folders multiple times now. Not sure if the issue is on his end or a bug in the software, but it is a pain to work through each time. Also, SugarSync seems to place a copy of deleted files into a deleted items folder which causes confusion and takes up additional storage space.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Overall I really like this program but sometimes it causes me a bit of grief with duplicating files and other bugs. Could not find a telephone number for a SugarSync help desk which I prefer over just emailing in a service request. Would recommend this program to small businesses with remote users.

Cloud-based network sharing for employees working remotely has been very helpful in managing files, controlling records, and maintaining accountability with documentation.

SugarSync review by Agency
Agency

"Poor customer service - automatic autorenew"

What do you like best?

I found it easy to sync two PCs over the Internet. Setup was pretty simple.

What do you dislike?

Disappointing about the way SugarSync hides the fact that subscriptions are automatically renewed without an opt-out feature. You have to read deep into its Terms and Conditions. If you miss the renew date, there's no relief or attempt to help. They only sent me a link to their Terms and Conditions and made no effort to work with me or even offer a pro-rated refund. I will not do business with them again!

Recommendations to others considering the product

I only used the product for about 6 months. I found it easier to take a USB thumb drive between the two PCs I wanted to share files with.

Syncing up two PCs sharing QuickBooks files

SugarSync review by Renee F.
Renee F.

"Happy SugarSync user since 2008. "

What do you like best?

The Syncing between multiple computers. As a computer consultant this feature, to me, is better than Dropbox. Dropbox creates a directory within the User/Home directory. The nice thing about SugarSync is that your offsite backup can take place within your User/Documents directory. As far as function, depending on the speed of your internet access, along with glitches in the connection, the syncing is fabulous. I have created a virtual paperless business with an administrator, data entry personnel, executive and bookkeeper in separate offices many miles apart.

What do you dislike?

That no longer offers the free 5GB program or a smaller size maximum than 100GB. This can deal breaker for me selling the idea to new clients with a small amount of documents and no pictures, videos or music. I prefer the Premium Documents to Go iOS and Android app over the SugarSync app for file access.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They need to offer smaller paid storage options.

Syncing among several computers at different sites using the MySync directory (formerly known as Magic Briefcase directory) . Great benefits. I have used it to replace network servers that take up a huge amount of space, money and energy.

SugarSync review by Jordan L.
Jordan L.

"Great cloud for work, but needs better organization and search"

What do you like best?

Easy to use. Fast upload/download speeds.

What do you dislike?

Search function doesn't always operate properly in finding things.

A central cloud for all co-workers to share and view large documents.

SugarSync review by Administrator in Environmental Services
Administrator in Environmental Services

"Terrible Customer Service "

What do you like best?

When the service worked it was just okay. We had issues with syncing across all computers.

What do you dislike?

Our files were never up to date across all of our business computers and when I went to cancel our account a year ago to move to another service, they never canceled the account. This year they charged me almost $700 for not using their service then said it would be up to 45 days to get it refunded. Al this after waiting to get through to a customer service person and then getting hung up on and having to call back.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go with another service and avoid the hassle.

We have realized that we need a more reliable service that will not steal from us.

SugarSync review by Brittany C.
Brittany C.

"SugarSync Review"

What do you like best?

Easy to maneuver throughout the program, especially easy to drag multiple items into a folder at one time.

What do you dislike?

The program crashed on my law firm and it was a hassle to recover the files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure to have everything backed up in case of a crash, however it is still a good company/product.

Organization and efficiency are the business problems we are solving. We were able to do that while using SugarSync until it crashed.

SugarSync review by Susan L.
Susan L.

"Realtime downloading for transcription"

What do you like best?

I like that you can work in realtime - especially when having an immediate turnaround on the audio, you can be working and downloading the audio immediately to keep going, not having to go back and forth re-downloading the audio.

What do you dislike?

It was glitchy. Set up was cumbersome and somewhat confusing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take your time setting it up and explaining it to the people using it.

Transcription in almost realtime. Able to start work immediately and continuously download as I am working instead of having to re-download additional audio as it is being uploaded.

SugarSync review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Works as expected!"

What do you like best?

-Any folder on your computer can be synced, unlike Dropbox, which requires you to put any files to be put in the cloud into the Dropbox folder. (You can also sync your Dropbox folder to SugarSync, which is fun.)

-Is free. You also get more free storage space from SugarSync (5G, I think) vs 2G from Dropbox. However, when signing up on SugarSync, you really have to search around for that free option since they really push the paid account.

What do you dislike?

Access. Interface is not as easy or user-friendly. The one-click on the Dropbox icon while working on your computer to open up the synced folder is something I wish SugarSync would do. The SugarSync app for Kindle is also a bit obnoxious in that it is sometimes hard to get it to manually sync, and sometimes it crashes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Download speeds were ridiculously slow. I calculate at 2.5 to 4 mbps (that's bits, not Bytes. bits = 8 X Bytes) on Charter's high speed internet rated at 60 mbps download / 4 mbps upload. I tested over a couple different days at different times and it took from 20 to 35 minutes to download a 608 MB file. Upload speeds were slow but in the acceptable range - 32 minutes for this file = 2.5 mbps. On OneDrive, it downloaded at a rate of 20 to 30 mbps (2.5 to 3.5 minutes for the same 608 MB file.)

Overall, the SugarSync vs Dropbox question depends on your personal needs and uses. If you only use your computer(s) and always connected devices like your phone or you have a tablet with 3G access, you can go with either. If you need synced and downloaded files at all times on a device like a tablet that does not have internet access, or if you travel a lot and don't always have internet access, I'd use SugarSync. If pushed to pick one or the other, I'd pick SugarSync because of the offline access (really, it's a dealbreaker for me) and the additional free storage space.

SugarSync review by User in Computer Software

"Great in the classroom"

What do you like best?

I used SugarSync as a classroom teacher and loved it. I had three different computers that I used on a daily basis: my classroom laptop, my classroom mac mini, and my personal computer at home. I loved how easy it was to sync between these three machines. It worked and worked well.

I had a few things working against me that really affected my work flow. First off, we had a lot of good websites blocked by the school's proxy. This is common and actually understandable. What I was able to do was collect material at home on my own unsrestricted network (all fair-use, off course from youtube and other sites that were blocked at school and place them in my shared folder for easy access at school the next day.

What do you dislike?

My biggest gripe about the service was that it converted to paid only. This is what actually drove me away. I had actually collected quite a few referrals and was sitting on some bonus storage when I found that I would need to pay for future service. I took the initial deal due to the fact that it was something like 50% off.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Bring back the free tier of service. I brought in a lot of referrals and had to let a lot of free space go when they decided to go paid only.

My biggest benefit was working around blocks of available content on the web due to local restraints ie firewalls and proxys.

SugarSync review by Brandon S.
Brandon S.

"Overall Satisfied with SugarSync"

What do you like best?

Syncing across devices is seamless and enjoy accessing all my files on the go. The pin-code lock is a very handy feature and better than remembering a password. Accessing files between PC and Mac works pretty well.

What do you dislike?

No phone support unless you pay for it. I am very tech savvy. If you are not tech savvy it is very difficult to go through all of the help files to find what you are looking for. It is even more frustrating when you do not know the proper name of the item you are looking for. Figuring out how to download and install the program on a MAC computer coming from a PC was a nightmare. If you don't move your files to the right area then its just a mess. For something i think should have taken 20 minutes took several hours.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do your research against the competitors. In general SugarSync costs more but I trust the reliability. The 2nd one I would consider id DropBox.

I mainly use the SugarSync service for accessing documents on the go. Many times I receive inquires and I need to send information quickly to those I network with. Not having to wait till I am near a computer is a lifesaver.

SugarSync review by Alex C.
Alex C.

"You're files, exactly where they should be"

What do you like best?

- My Documents, Desktop and other folders sync across my home PC, work PC and laptop.

- All files are also available on my phone and iPad.

- Quick file sharing from my phone. Create public download link and email it in just a couple clicks.

- Almost everything else you expect in a cloud storage solution.

What do you dislike?

It's easy to configure but the process takes longer than other cloud storage apps. However, once it's configured properly, you forget that it's even installed. Things are simply where they should be on all of your devices.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want your Documents to all appear in their proper folders on all of your machines, this is the cloud storage app for you. It allows you to turn any folder into a "dropbox" and sync with the corresponding folder the rest of your devices.

As long as I have an internet connection, I never worry about finding a file anymore. Sugarsync is especially useful for people that work on multiple computers and don't want to constantly send files to themselves or upload everything to a shared folder.

SugarSync review by User in Health, Wellness and Fitness
User in Health, Wellness and Fitness

"Cloud storage that's easy to use and access"

What do you like best?

Easy to use -- files are easily transferred from computer to cloud and vice versa. Also easy to access from any computer -- just login to the site directly.

What do you dislike?

It would appear that when I'm using the desktop application, I'm not able to directly access my SugarSync files through Finder unless I had previously downloaded them to my computer.

It makes file sharing easier when coworkers are working remotely.

SugarSync review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Does the Job. Magic Briefcase is Nice."

What do you like best?

The Magic Briefcase is nice to have. Just drop files in it on your desktop and those you're sharing with have access too.

What do you dislike?

Takes a long time to load. Software feels clunky and outdated.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are many options for file sharing. I tend to prefer other simpler web based systems rather than Sugarsync.

File Sharing.

SugarSync review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Great file sharing site"

What do you like best?

SugarSync has great options for size of cloud space that is fairly inexpensive. It is very easy to choose which files go into the cloud and which do not. It is very easy to access files from any computer or device at any time.

What do you dislike?

Their app could use quite a bit of work in ease of use and showing picture files in your cloud space.

It makes uploading or downloading a file on any computer or device very easy. I can share all my files over multiple devices and access them on other computers to print or share on the go.

SugarSync review by Consultant in Financial Services
Consultant in Financial Services

"SugarSync has made business easier"

What do you like best?

It is very simple to use, simple to learn. It is adaptable to different type of devices, whether MAC or PC, or tablet. I like its ability to access previous versions of a file, add to its appeal. It is one of the cheaper cloud-based file-syncing and storage services out there.

What do you dislike?

When there needs to be multiple user accesses, the price adds up. The new interface is a little bit harder for users to grasp than the old one. The old one is much easier to use. It is harder to navigate and perform rudimentary tasks. Also, I cannot see how many files are left to sync.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a great service, worth the money.

It is very secure. It really allows collaboration among teams and helps to improve productivity, saving a lot of time. This is very important.

SugarSync review by User in Staffing and Recruiting
User in Staffing and Recruiting

"Doesn't hit the sweet spot"

What do you like best?

It's an effective solution for cloud storage synchronized across your smart phone, tablet, laptop, and desktop.

What do you dislike?

I have a few cloud solutions that I use. The usability of SugarSync is not as good as its competitors.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do what I did and download and use every cloud solution. Try them out and you will gravitate to whatever is easier or more effective for the way you work. I naturally went with DropBox but still keep SugarSync around for data that I don't access very often.

If you choose to go with SugarSync, I believe it's as good a solution as any out there. It allows you to use and access your cloud data from any internet connected device.

SugarSync review by Administrator in Computer Software

"I used it in my classroom to sync between home and work computers."

What do you like best?

What I liked best about SugarSync was its ease of use. It was quick and easy to use and safe for a school environment.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike about SugarSync is that it was free and then they started charging for it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make SugarSync Free and maybe use ads or sponsors to make up for the loss.

The business problems that I am solving is being able to move files quickly and seamlessly between home and work.

SugarSync review by User in Computer Software

"Most Compatible File Sharing System"

What do you like best?

SugarSync is a great tool for storing your data in the cloud. They are the most compatible solution to-date (meaning they support more devices than any other service), and they are affordable.

What do you dislike?

They say you can get up to 32GB free (you start with 5GB), but I have yet to figure out how to get even close to that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

SugarSync is an excellent solution for file sharing/cloud storage. I still prefer dropbox, but you do get more space with the same client support.

SugarSync review by Rusty P.
Rusty P.

"Content Distribution for iPads and backup"

What do you like best?

This product has multiple uses--it is an on-line backup application, but we have used it for so much more than that. We have a virtual client within our network that our marketing department can send a video, PDF, picture, Word document etc to and then SugarSync syncs it up to the cloud--then all of our field users can open up SugarSync on their iPad, iPhone or Android device and sync the latest changes to their iPads. It allows for our 2gb+ of multimedia content to be synced to everyone's devices in off-line format for presentations wherever they are. All of the content is played within the slick program on the device and allows for sorting in folders (based on the structure within our virtual computer). It has improved our sales process drastically--it's a shame that Apple or Google doesn't have something more native like this.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes and iPad will stop syncing & have to re-sync, but even with 2gb+ of data, it doesn't take that long.

It would be nice if there was some functionality that allowed for our users to click on multiple contents and then send an email to a client with a hyperlink to each of the documents or videos.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Talk to someone about the pricing--we were able to get an enterprise account & only have one user account for all of our field people that has READ ONLY access to the content. Then we have the admin account on our virtual computer allowing us to push, modify or delete the content from there. It works really well.

SugarSync review by Pedro M.
Pedro M.

"I love it"

What do you like best?

It syncs all my files imediatly

What do you dislike?

Nothing

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it its free

Learning about SugarSync?

* We monitor all SugarSync reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.