Surfer

Surfer is a full-function 3D visualization, contouring and surface modeling package used for terrain modeling, bathymetric modeling, landscape visualization, surface analysis, and more.

Work for Surfer?

Learning about Surfer?

Surfer Reviews

Showing 105 Surfer reviews
Surfer review by <span>Lawrence T.</span>
Lawrence T.

"Best map graphics program there is -- and far less expensive than the ARCview alternative."

What do you like best?

In essence, Surfer permits automated map drafting of all sorts. I especially appreciate its georeferencing, contouring, and map overlay features.

What do you dislike?

Nothing about the program is problematic in my experience.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This program, like all others in the Golden Software Suite, requires experience to gain the most benefit. Fortunately, most of the other programs provided by Golden Software use the same general architecture, so learning on one of their programs is likely transferrable to other members of their program suite.

The program, again, permits automated map drafting of all sorts. It used to take me a whole day, for example, to hand contour a single data set. With Surfer I can make (literally) hundreds of contour maps, construct overlays on topographic or other base maps -- and thereby much more quickly make sense out of field data.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Surfer
Surfer review by User

"Easy to use and intuitive"

What do you like best?

I have been using Surfer since it was a DOS application (wow, I'm really dating myself!). It has always been straight-forward with a clean, intuitive GUI. My students (college undergraduate geology majors) have always become reasonable proficient with it in a single lab session.

What do you dislike?

I generally prefer Surfer's contouring to that ArcGIS so I like to contour equipotential lines, export as a shapefile to ArcGIS. On my version of Surfer (9), the table contour values are not transferred. Perhaps this has been corrected on the latest version but manual entering of contour values is tedious. Again, I don't have the latest version but I would like to see more ease of use with the vector drawing feature. It would be nice if a vector diagram could be made directly from a grid of potential values (e.g., hydraulic head).

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your looking for an easy-to-use product for contouring randomly spaced or gridded data from field measurements or model output, this is a great product.

Very easy to teach students.

What Geology and Seismic solution do you use?

"Petroleum Exploration Geologist"

What do you like best?

I use Surfer since 1989, mostly for regional works, gridding and mapping with faults, putting in the same window the topography and above it the geology, moreover culture information, rivers, etc. all in 3D. Frequently I crop the grids and show images or contours over them. Now I use the grid editor very frequently and I am very happy with it. I am very pleasant with the capabilities of the Surfer for my job and I can present the products in a very professionally manner. Recently Surfer improved a lot with the possibility of using all of the cores of your computer, it is great at all.

What do you dislike?

Actually I have nothing to dislike about Surfer

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend Surfer for the purposes of integrating all kind of information and presenting it in a very professional manner with not highly hardware needs at all.

Present the maps and products in 3D to facilitate understand the ideas we are trying show to other geologists and non geologists as well, in a very professional manner with the set of information and detail as complete as is required with a very efficient hardware needs.

Surfer review by <span>David N.</span>
David N.

"Using Surfer to support regulatory approvals"

What do you like best?

1) Range of options to produce grids

2) Mapping and digitizing

What do you dislike?

Would like more flexibility in editing grids. Such as a node selection and export tools. Would be great to digitize or import a polygon which would then extract grid nodes within or outside of polygon and/or complete a numerical operation on the selected nodes within or outside of a region or multiple regions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Learn how different gridding methods can influence the resulting grid and learn to choose parameters appropriately.

Visualisation of spatial and temporal variations in water level and topography. Has improved out ability to adapt to changes and to predict future changes enabling relevant forward planning.

Surfer review by <span>Robin R.</span>
Robin R.

"My favorite graphics software"

What do you like best?

I can make presentation or publication quality plots in much less time than Matlab

I have used Surfer (and Grapher) for more than 25 years now. I have also used it in teaching. It is easy for the students to use and has saved me tons of time with my research, letting me focus on the science and not the presentation, which is easy with Surfer.

What do you dislike?

It would be awesome if you could access binary files like netcdf through Surfer and/or Grapher

I am in acedemia. I use surfer for research. It has saved me tons of time and the figures look great,.

Surfer review by <span>Ernest B.</span>
Ernest B.

"Clearly the Best"

What do you like best?

The use of Golden Software products increases the quality and clarity of my reports and presentations. Their software is at the top of the class because it is continually updated based on user input. Plus, when I have a problem, in a matter of minutes, I can get friendly service from a competent professional on the phone. Their level of support is unmatched and greatly appreciated!

What do you dislike?

There is really nothing I dislike about Golden Software products.

As a Consultant my reports and presentations have to be the best. So I use the Best software available.

Surfer review by <span>Andrey K.</span>
Andrey K.

"Powerfull Versatile Tool for Variety of Applications"

What do you like best?

Rapid growth of new feature set based on my feedback. Very good beta testing process using forum. Before each major release I get the comprehensive report on my suggested features and current status of its implementation.

What do you dislike?

Quite frequent release of major updates that require paying additional amounts almost every year.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Surfer is a must-have tool in a toolbox of a geoscientist.

1) Preparing a comprehensive datasets for petroleum system and basing modeling.

2) Preparing the digital elevation and bathymetry models of engineering constructions and freshwater reservoirs.

3) Planning outdoor activity using GPS tracking.

Surfer review by <span>Darryl G.</span>
Darryl G.

"Excellent program"

What do you like best?

Map Tools - 3D view provides the ability to review the site with the vegetation filtered out. The trackball can provide an overall site review from any angle.

What do you dislike?

Grid Calculus - gradient.

Using the rainbow color scale, the gradients are usually at the extreme low end of the custom color scale for a steep site. This makes it difficult to work with the color scale.

It substantially reduces the time needed for a site reconnaissance, particularly for sites 2 acres or more.

At least half of the information can be provided by a review of the 3D surface with the grid calculus command. The site reconnaissance can then focus on certain areas that are highlighted by the program. It is now an indispensable part of my work.

Surfer review by <span>Jordan  G.</span>
Jordan G.

"Surfer is powerful and user friendly."

What do you like best?

I like the significant upgrades to Surfer 14 and 15 have allowed for much more efficient data processing, cross section development, and mapping. Surfer has most of the features I need to process reasonable sized datasets.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how bulky surfer is. It can bog down my computer doing some data processing that takes other programs less time. I also would like to be able to adjust shapefile/base layer labels in the same manner as post layers.

LIDAR processing

Cross section development

Grid math and evaluation of complicated datasets.

Surfer review by <span>Gilvan H.</span>
Gilvan H.

"A very pratical mapping tool"

What do you like best?

It is very easy to use, export and import many types of files, gridding operations are easy to understand and to perform, automation is easy to implement

What do you dislike?

Default measurement in inches; the addressing of surfer and data files is sometimes confusing

Recommendations to others considering the product

Those who intend to use gridding methods, I recommend to read the manual that is very well written and one can learn a lot.

It makes mapping of several types of data very easy in a Windows environment, specially, allowing access to spreadsheets where variables are calculated

Surfer review by <span>Don H.</span>
Don H.

"Best Mapping Software I've Ever Seen"

What do you like best?

Great functionality, versatile and perfectly accurate. I've used Surfer for over 25 years to create some of the most extensive and comprehensive geostudies ever compiled in North America.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing to dislike about Surfer, however I do not like sharks and snakes, or major earthquakes.

I have been able to create extremely complex geological and geochemical studies using Surfer. No other software could have come close to the results I've achieved using Surfer. Obviously this has resulted in substantial competitive advantages in my business.

Surfer review by <span>Grega J.</span>
Grega J.

"Easy and efficient"

What do you like best?

The surfer for me is a first go-to tool when any interpolation of data is required. The grid creation with advanced options (e.g. Breaklines etc) is easy and fast even when dealing with lidar-grade datasets.

What do you dislike?

The handling of the colors when a custom fill contour could be a bit easier. When exporting contours to dxf, text labels come in default setting that makes it hard to edit once in ACAD environment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommend it.

Large dataset operation, data interpolation, contour maps creation...

Surfer review by <span>Olivier L.</span>
Olivier L.

"Surfer has a huge positive impact on our organisation"

What do you like best?

The ease of automating repetitive tasks is priceless. As a highly operational organisation, it is extremely rewarding to begin the day knowing that a variety of scheduled tasks have been running overnight, creating numerous maps to aid in the organisation's decision process.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing that I dislike. However, there are minor improvements that could be made. For example, it would be convenient to be able to reverse a drawn weather front (in the line object types) and to have more flexibility with the colors of the same weather fronts.

By automating a large number of weather related charts, we are able to identify which numerical guidance model provides the best weather forecast. This helps us make cost-saving decisions.

Surfer review by <span>Shane W.</span>
Shane W.

"My favourite mapping software"

What do you like best?

It is very easy to use, highly adaptable and flexible. Surfer has a huge array of file types it can open and save to, plus it produces stunning maps with minimal effort. Surfer also has some of the best contouring algorithms available, plus offers unsurpassed tools for modifying and editing grids to produce sensible contours maps in a short time frame. It is also affordable.

What do you dislike?

Not a lot really. I find it very functional for my purpose.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the software, watch the training videos, ask questions to the forum and use the excellent support services

I use it for catchment mapping purposes, groundwater flow problems, environmental mapping and mining. More recently in the humanitarian sector for various thematic maps.

"Long time user"

What do you like best?

Having used Surfer since its inception in the '80s I have been continually impressed with its broad base of contouring options, ability to handle large datasets, speed at contouring, and the many other features that show up with each new version. No other contouring package comes close to Surfer on a performance/cost basis.

What do you dislike?

I have Surfer 13.6.618 and find it difficult to incorporate coordinates.

Using Surfer I have been able to easily demonstrate technical results to non-technical clients. Properly created, Surfer images exemplify the age-old statement that "a picture is worth a thousand words." I believe that in my professional career Surfer images have kept my past company on the top of the list for many clients.

Surfer review by <span>Paul M.</span>
Paul M.

"Powerful, easy to use program to model 3D data"

What do you like best?

It is powerful software for analysing and presenting 3D data at a very reasonable price. The free support provided by Golden Software is beyond excellent. Surfer has been progressively improved and is now a very powerful program for processing a variety of 3D data

What do you dislike?

Nothing - there is nothing I dislike about Surfer

Recommendations to others considering the product

Surfer recognises a wide variety of data types including standard (x,y,z) data, georeferenced images, GIS and point cloud data. It could be the the only 3D data analysis tool you need.

Presentation of 3D data in pursuit of technical solutions to open cut mining problems. I have used Surfer to analyse data that would have required a $10k add-on to my existing mine modelling software.

Surfer review by <span>carl s.</span>
carl s.

"Excellent Product"

What do you like best?

Easy to use and full of useful features. I especially like the easy interaction between the program and spreadsheet applicatons.. Golden Software keeps this program up to date with the latest technology.

What do you dislike?

The software is limited to two dimensions. However, If SURFER went 3-D it may require significant software engineering but could potentially rival other 3-D software applications in the industry.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This software is full of great features. Thinking outside the box is helpful when trying to solve spatial problems. I continue to find new ways to evaluate my data. Take some time to sit down and play with this software. You will not be disappointed!

Groundwater contouring, contaminant plume distribution, grid mathematics for import into modeling software.

"16 year user"

What do you like best?

Ease of use is the best part about Surfer. Because of this I have been able to quickly show many other people how to make use of it in conjunction with our geophysical software.

What do you dislike?

For our purposes, the "3D" function is not very useful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Call tech support anytime you need help and it is very likely your question will be answered very quickly and effectively.

2D modeling and mapping for consumers of our geophysical exploration services. Easy to create simple to very detailed 2D models and maps for client consumption. Writing script to allow and proprietary software to communicate with Surfer was relatively straightforward and the tech support from Surfer offered timely assistance where needed.

Surfer review by User

"Helpful tool for raster data "

What do you like best?

It is very simple to open files with height and land-use data from different data sources and to define surface models als input data set for model simulations. We have to form grids from large files. Furthermore, the residual analysis is very often used. It is important to visualize and examine the data in order to detect and correct errors.

What do you dislike?

I do not have much to criticize. But we often use worksheets, but handling of calculation procedures are very cumbersome.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We have been using surfers and didger since many years, regularly, but not daily. Particularly, these products are attractive for small offices. You can process large data files and analyse the data is variable manner. The results can be presented in meaningful diagrams and maps for the reports.

We use surfer for defining surface models, and then, for converting and formating these data and export then for input of simulation model. The exact presentation of surface features are important for the calculation of atmospheric windflow simulation, gridding of height model and estimation of roughness parameters.

Surfer review by Consultant

"Use Surfer for developing oil and gas maps."

What do you like best?

Ability to print to a vector .pdf file so that the sharpness of the lines, symbols and text is maintained no matter how far you zoom in. I especially like that the .pdf file created allows layers to be turned on and off when the file is opened. It would really be nice if these layers could be customizable so that they can be moved up or down so that they appear in a logical order.

What do you dislike?

Unable to have polygon names that are obtained using Map Viewer retained when brought over to Surfer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Terrific program! There are several enhancements that should be considered by the Surfer team including:

1) Ability to specify the format for labels (for example rather than scientific notation, using a fixed format with number of decimal places specified.

2) Legend - need to be able to size the symbols in the legend without changing the size of the symbols on the map.

3) Ability to connect to Rest Service for dynamically linking shape files.

4) Improve legend editing to allow one to directly edit the text of the legend.

5) When you double click on a Surfer file it provides an error stating: "There was a problem sending the command to the program." If you first open Surfer 15 and then open the file this error does not occur. The workaround involves making changes to the Registry Editor which is a very dangerous method of correcting this issue. This should be resolved within Surfer's program rather than relying on the user to have to make Registry Editor changes.

6) Would like to have additional "free" training on the use or Scripter and examples.

Mineral interest ownership map that provides identification for future petroleum well locations.

Surfer review by User

"excellent mapping, gridding, and data analysis/presentation/illustration software."

What do you like best?

It is very capable and creates professional level work, but is not overly complex to use and not packed with "bloatware" I don't use. It has also always been very stable and "light" software to open and run and use, despite being so capable. It is extremely high quality software, especially for the price. The addition of GIS/pro-level coordinate system conversions over the last 10 years has made it highly valuable.

What do you dislike?

Honestly can't think of dislikes. It is a good bit more complex than it was 20 years ago, but those were all very valuable additions, and they really are not complex. There might be some room on improvement on using attributes connected with shp files, but they've been heading that direction and I might just be behind on what it can do there.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommended for mapping, contouring, some data visualization, and some "GIS" work.

As a solo consultant, it let's me create figures and maps that in the past would have required a dedicated GIS or drafting person to do.

Surfer review by <span>Paulo Cesar Colonna R.</span>
Paulo Cesar Colonna R.

"The best in the field."

What do you like best?

Excellent for complex mapping analysis, and superb in automation on a variety of platforms.

What do you dislike?

Surfer does not respect the measuring system of the user by default. Minimally it should respect the measuring system that is set in Windows. Only 3 countries in the world still do not use the metric system, but Surfer, by default, starts with "inches".

Recommendations to others considering the product

Surfer is the best in the field. I´ve tryed others, no comparison. It is expensive, but it is excellent.

Environmental hydrodynamic modeling. Surfer is the main tool to presents complex maps of flows in natural water bodies and transport of various types of scalar quantities, such as concentrations. For exemples see www.sisbahia.coppe.ufrj.br

Surfer review by User

"Professional geological applications of Surfer"

What do you like best?

Surfer is very intuitive to use and great for 3D data views.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really, it is a fabulous program

Recommendations to others considering the product

A stunning product!

Processing structural geology data in relation to landscape morphology. Integration of data from gravity and magnetics in a 3D perspective. The program is fast and very easy to use compared to other methods; being able to load huge tables is a big plus! Being able to generate fast 3D views of DEM data is great to understand regional tectonic views and integrate this with gravity and magnetics, and customer (and user) support is amazing! It is a community product and the interaction with fellow user is fabulous.

Surfer review by <span>Paul T.</span>
Paul T.

"A very useful piece of software for very quick rendering of 3D terrain models and gridding of 2D dat"

What do you like best?

A very large amount of file types are supported - I can't say I've ever had a problem when using different types. The overall functionality (that I used the software for at least) is limited but this plays to its strength - it's good at what it does. I've used it for very quick renderings of 3D terrain models with gridded data draped over to better visualise spatial data.

What do you dislike?

The software's functionality is limited - you will probably not find yourself using this software as your main go-to piece. However what it does, it does well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Surfer does what many other pieces of software does too, but without all the bells, whistles and endless menus and sub-menus. It's a quick and efficient piece of software that does what it does well.

Rendering of 3D models with 2D spatial data draped over the model.

"Very pleased."

What do you like best?

I like the ease of creating georeferenced heat maps and contour maps from a variety of data. I also like how much easier it is to clip data than previous versions of Surfer.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fact that plotting maps with layouts does not produce crisp lines. However, I admit that this may be user error.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The ease of creating georeferenced heat maps and contour maps which are easy to interpret, saves my company a lot of time and money.

Surfer reduces the overall time spent in creating visual representations of georeferenced data thereby allowing me to spend more time on data interpretation and reporting.

Surfer review by <span>John V.</span>
John V.

"Powerful piece of analytical software for a fair price"

What do you like best?

Surfer is easy to use, powerful, and versatile. Able to import and export a wide variety of data types and files. Good gridding algorithms. Very stable.

What do you dislike?

I'd like Surfer to have better drafting abilities. It excels at data processing and analysis, but relatively weak at turning those into figure sets for reports. Paperspace/modelspace structure (similar to CAD) would be very helpful.

Cost-effective software to process and analyze scientific data.

Surfer review by <span>Greg C.</span>
Greg C.

"Long time Surfer user"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, powerful, value and support.

What do you dislike?

Limitations imposed by an annual maintenance plan.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Although too soon to say, I'm considering the possibility of dropping a support plan for a spatial analysis module associated with another well known and very expensive GIS software platform. Surfer appears to have capabilities that meet my needs at a much more attractive price point.

Mapping subsurface data; gridding, contouring and spatial solutions.

Surfer review by <span>Russell F.</span>
Russell F.

"Powerful gridding/mapping software that is reliable and easy to use"

What do you like best?

Surfer is easy to use. It is possible to work out how to do most things with minimal use of the manual. The menus are very intuitive. I use it form work and also for making maps for trekking.

What do you dislike?

Maybe some more preference options. Not much else to dislike.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get on board!

I use it for every mapping and for contouring geochemical and other grid data.

Surfer review by <span>IAN P.</span>
IAN P.

"Powerful Flexible Modelling"

What do you like best?

The flexibility and malleability of the 3D models generated from real and honoured data

What do you dislike?

The Help file may be better organised (too many unexplained jargon terms) but that is a criticism of ll large modelling programs

Recommendations to others considering the product

Excellent modelling programme with considerable power and flexibility. The ongoing development is much focussed and very responsive to user requirements.

Much smarter and safer mine planning/execution.

Increased productivity with increased safety.

Surfer review by <span>Devendran A.</span>
Devendran A.

"Surfer as a 3D modeling tool"

What do you like best?

Easily create maps. Simple interface with ACAD. Have been using Surfer to present geophysical sectional drawings, such as 2D resistivity, seismic sections, gravity maps, etc. Easy digitizing. Create 3D bedrock maps combing borehole and geophysical information.

What do you dislike?

Unable to model closed surfaces like sphere.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get one ASAP

Actively used surfer for tunneling project. Easily produce kmz files from acad drawings. Transformation to different coordinate system. Many more.

Surfer review by <span>christian s.</span>
christian s.

"Very easy to use tool to plot and examine mappable data"

What do you like best?

Ease of use for many features; clear layout of plot properties; ease of data upload/editing

What do you dislike?

resizing maps (limits) often messes up labels; contour intervals do not always show up

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very easy to use; variety of dataformats supported; quality results in a short time even without prior software knowledge

determining trends in otherwise jumbled datasets; highlighting and comparing data from other applications

Surfer review by <span>Tim C.</span>
Tim C.

"I'd be lost without it"

What do you like best?

Easy to use and great looking outputs. Powerful gridding and calculus tools.

What do you dislike?

Lack of DWG import. Difficult to manage layers in dxf files.

Quick and relatively easy modelling of slopes, groundwater, contamination, cut/fill models. Can be used by anyone, not just those trained in CAD. Means the engineers/scientists can do the modelling themselves and interact with the data first hand.

Surfer review by <span>Jonathan G.</span>
Jonathan G.

"Surfer data visualisation"

What do you like best?

Ease of use. The GUI /toolbar is clear and icons indicative of tasks so is easy to navigate.

Like the point cloud feature now.

What do you dislike?

Having to script repetitive tasks, such as importing multiple common data sets.

The preferences set up is very detailed and the user can set up virtually anything required however due to the complexity and number of attributes that can be set up as preferences this is a long clunky process - would be better to have a more user friendly interface - perhaps menu driven/categorised?

Visualisation of surface data

Surfer review by Consultant

"Poor man's GIS with a lot more besides"

What do you like best?

Overall versatility and multi-functionality. I can work with a variety of different consultants and collaborating geo-scientists, all working on a variety of systems.

What do you dislike?

There is a clunkiness to the Property Manager system. It has improved in recent years, but it still does not feel native Windows in operation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Spend some time exploring different approaches to utilising data within Surfer. Attend the free webinars online.

To be able to quickly assemble the maps, grids, posts and other base-maps for a given area. The time overhead is the lowest of available systems I have worked with.

Surfer review by <span>Mark H.</span>
Mark H.

"The David to Arc Info's Goliath"

What do you like best?

The general ease of use. It use to be friendlier back 20 years ago but as software goes its a pretty easy learning curve.

What do you dislike?

The map cursor. Who is the dolt that thinks this map cursor is a good idea. For God's sake either make it bright pink or better yet the chromatic opposite of whatever color is beneath it. It would also be nice if there were a cutout tool so you can extract a part of map A and over lay it on map B.

Everything from mapping to graphic design

Surfer review by <span>Georg K.</span>
Georg K.

"Surfer is a grate fairly easy to use modelling tool."

What do you like best?

I am using surfer for over 20 years by now. The principal workflow has not changed very much over this period also the program has constantly been improved by fine tuning it an introducing new features.

What do you dislike?

I am not a big fan of the new bigger menue band. The wizards to create a new map from the scratch are kind of anoing.

We generaly use surfer to survey the morphology and the submersed vegetation of lakes and rivers. I also use surfer for terrain analysis and sometimes to visualize GIS results.

Surfer review by <span>John W.</span>
John W.

"Creation of groundwater and bedrock elevation contouring maps"

What do you like best?

The ability to manipulate data is very easy. It is much more cost effective than Arc Gis.

What do you dislike?

I do not like the spreadsheet function in surfer when copy and pasting gridding reports, I wish it would auto fill into the X Y and Z fields, instead of placing it all in a single column.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Upgrade to the most current product

groundwater flow direction - how to analyze contamination plumes

I work for an environmental consulting firm, and Use this software to map groundwater flow direction, map and assist in geophysical reporting efforts to determine surface and subsurface topography. I have found it easy to overlay real time data in google earth with KML files.

Surfer review by User

"Surfer manages to stay ahead of expectations"

What do you like best?

I am almost never frustrated by Surfer. A rarity in the world of software.

The program runs smoothly and it is always possible to interrupt a process.

The intuitiveness of the interface and contextual help is great.

What do you dislike?

I can only think about this: I have some points which are still on the wish-list for future versions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Surfer is a great and affordable tool to analyse spatial data and produce professional maps.

Creating maps, analysing spatial data. Surfer allows making beautiful maps that astonish internal and external clients.

Surfer review by <span>Brian L.</span>
Brian L.

"Surfing through contours"

What do you like best?

The ease of using the software even when updates come out. I use it mostly on a project requiring quarterly updates so having the ability to set the contour levels automatically is a plus.

What do you dislike?

There is not much that I can say that I dislike. Maybe the ability to add more contour levels in places where there is a contour yet not an elevations associated with it.

Groundwater flow. I have been able to show the regulators that we are maintaining capture according to our performance criteria.

"Awesome comprehensive software"

What do you like best?

I started using this software with no prior experience. using Surfer was simple to use and they have a great comprehensive, easy to understand tutorial and help guide that helped me to create some awesome models without frustration!

What do you dislike?

I have no dislikes about the product, I think the Golden Software is very good at what it does.

I use the Surfer software to create plume maps to track sediment and contamient transport for my research. I really enjoy using the software becasue it allows me to take the raw data and turn it into a striking visuals. These visuals consequently allows me to present my findings to the scientic and general population in a way that make sense and has an impact.

Surfer review by <span>John M.</span>
John M.

"Simple and Consise"

What do you like best?

Very flexible. I can map, do map math, and even build cross sections and other projects simply by importing images onto the large page sizes. I love it for multipurpose work.

What do you dislike?

No crop of imported images. I would like to have the option to import large images and then crop and splice. Even if just cropping, I can splice myself then group to maintain one item.

Consulting Petroleum Engineering issues. Mapping and building log cross sections. I like that flexibility in one package.

Surfer review by <span>Lukas F.</span>
Lukas F.

"Surfer use in environmental industry"

What do you like best?

Ability to produce high quality contamination and flow maps, digitize old data.

What do you dislike?

Recent change in licencing policies. Additional payment for downloadable User Guide.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to use software, in comparison with similar products relatively inexpensive. Continuous updates.

Production of high quality maps.

Surfer review by User

"Great for contouring and figures"

What do you like best?

This is program can do analysis and also be used for creating figures. I am a hydrogeologist and its contouring capabilities are standard in the field. In addition, I use Surfer to scale images for figures and add overlays.

What do you dislike?

I don't have much that I dislike about the program. Certain things take a lot of steps.

I use Surfer for hydrogeology research and making academic paper figures. It is a great program for visualizing data in new ways.

Surfer review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer

"some simple help tip"

What do you like best?

possibilty to represent different kind of 3d data as

morfology

river discharge

electric filed

What do you dislike?

difficult to recover information on previous jobs.

Should be added information from which data file grid as been created and used gridding method.

Useful to compare data of different grid

Recommendations to others considering the product

Good result easy to obtain despite not very fond of geostatistics and maths

Evaluation of reservoir sedimentation

Assessment of the reduction of water amount

"I love this programme"

What do you like best?

Versatility, it is a fantastic programme for interpreting and displaying all sorts of data, and generates great visuals for reporting to stake holders. Love the 3D wire mesh for terrain modelling!

What do you dislike?

It requires administrator user permissions to run upgrades (pain in the proverbal when dealing with corporate IT)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Export/Import DWG , not just DXF

Sorry, I don't actually undertstand what you're asking. Please see answer to first question

"Surfer15"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, scripter is a good environment for at programmer of my level.

What do you dislike?

Still use Arc or QGIS for most figure production, but Surfer do some things better.

Would like it it interpolation could occur from multiple input datasets, and from SHP.

Would like GridMath to be able to calculate statistics (mean, min, max etc) from multiple rasters.

Geological layering, presentation of groundwater contours.

"Powerful and Easy"

What do you like best?

Intuitive nature of software's architecture and the resulting ease of use

What do you dislike?

Dislike that in order to upgrade I can only get a digital download not a hardcopy Disk. Full blown users manual should be included not a $25 add-on

Isopleth, post maps and other data presentations from surfer of meteorological conditions and pollutant concentrations are very easy for my primary audience, the public, to understand.

Surfer review by Consultant in Oil & Energy
Consultant in Oil & Energy

"Been using Surfer since 1990"

What do you like best?

I can give raw data to Surfer and it gives me straight answers, no guessing and no mind games on what it should have been showing.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the contouring does not do well with large differences in the data. If nearby wells have 20 feet of break and a dud well has only 3 feet it does not put in all the contour rings necessary to show the hole.

Recommendations to others considering the product

John Layman 832 483 5354 so call him!

The data truthfully displayed shows no geo-poetry just raw data and no fiddling with the data to get it different than what is actually there.

Surfer review by User

"very useful tool for the examination of surface and relief conditions"

What do you like best?

gridding power, watershed tool including flowlines/streams, depiction of detailed contour models with possibility of individual colloring of certain contours

What do you dislike?

the catchments/basins in the watershed tool cannot be separately chosen and manipulated, the size of basins cannot be separately measured, the speed of processing high resolution maps is low although I have a modern PC with a powerful Pentium processor, I have the impression that the processing power of the graphics card is not substantially used by surfer.

working out catchments and water supply of mires, depiction of ditches and peat cutting edges, finding of barriers blocking water flow, planning bog restoration measures

Surfer review by <span>Mundzir B.</span>
Mundzir B.

"More Versatile and Easy-to-Use"

What do you like best?

1. Small software but powerful.

2. Can be used for data processing.

What do you dislike?

Visualization is very simple in Surfer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I do recommend that others use Surfer

Engineering problems

Surfer review by <span>Gordon B.</span>
Gordon B.

"Effective data visualization, gridding, contouring, and mapping tool "

What do you like best?

Kriging gridding algorithm. Versatility.

What do you dislike?

Updated versions of the software sometimes re-arrange menus in a counterintuitive way. Sometimes when exporting files in alternate formats (i.e. .DXF), the formats aren't fully compatible with the receiving software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The license is expensive. While it's a useful tool, I wouldn't recommend it unless you know that you'll have enough work to justify the high price.

Engineering and environmental consulting.

Surfer review by User

"Apply Surfer to build 3D groundwater model based on geological logs"

What do you like best?

The interpolation from 2d scatter data into surface grid file is great. The BLN files are easy to use for defining zones.

What do you dislike?

If there is a way to generate animation to show the changes in properties over time, it will be great.

I build regional groundwater model. My organization uses Surfer to generate surfaces for different geological units as foundation for 3D groundwater model.

Surfer review by User in Medical Devices
User in Medical Devices

"Surfer feedback"

What do you like best?

The ease of creating multilayer graphics

What do you dislike?

lack of ability to record macros in real time

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very versatile tools that can be extended to other applications other than geology, mining, mapping or any field of the like. East to learn/use.

Mostly using it for generating contour plots, 3D maps for presentations.

Mostly used for quickly generating graphics that are self explainatory.

Surfer review by Consultant in Environmental Services
Consultant in Environmental Services

"Fantastic geologic software"

What do you like best?

Great for contouring. Still no other alternative for creating detailed cross-sections. More and more GIS like compatibility. Now includes point cloud/LIDAR capabilities.

What do you dislike?

File size. Wish there was capabilities that referenced data rather than incorporating all shapefiles, data, etc into the file. Been known to end up with 1/2GB file size for one map.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Buy it!

Updates to environmental conceptual site models.

Surfer review by User

"Best gridding software (also for converting from different grid type)"

What do you like best?

The simple way to grid data and produce countoring maps to be loaded in GIS / Flow model application. You use the standard gridding algorithm without any knowledge or, better, you have the opportunity to learn about the gridding algorithm that best suits your data and needs.

Surfer can import/export different gri format and different file type. It's the perfect companion to GIS (QGis) and Rockworks and AutoCAD applications. Very useful the Contouring convert to 3D Shapefile.

What do you dislike?

Pour documentation for develop script in BAS.

Environmental issues: grounwater contouring data, DEM/DTM elevation contouring map and cross sections, contaminant maps.

"Dr. William E. Full"

What do you like best?

The price and the overall functionality is good. The ability to integrate a lot of different types of data is also a great bonus.

What do you dislike?

The geostatistical functionality needs to be totally redone using comments from those that use these features. The ability to add folders to the layer menu is long overdue.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it!

The types of problems I am working with involve the oil and gas industry. These include working with geophysical data such a magnetic, gravity, resistivity, soil gases and similar type data. The benefits realized are the ability to identify new and overlooked prospects.

"great intuitive software"

What do you like best?

I have an older version of Surfer that I haven't used for at least 5 years. I recently had an application where I need to use it and was amazed by how easy it was to pick up where I left off and use the software effectively. It really is a testament to the original design of this software that it is so intuitive and well engineered.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes need to reset the scale when a new layer is added, which can be time consuming when adding multiple layers.

Display of topographic maps and isopleths.

Surfer review by User

"GENIAL Y AMIGABLE SOFTWARE"

What do you like best?

LO MEJOR ES LA SENCILLEZ CON LA QUE SE PUEDEN USAR LOS COMANDOS, ASÍ COMO LA GENERACIÓN DE LOS DISTINTOS ARCHIVOS PARA OBTENER ÓPTIMOS RESULTADOS.

What do you dislike?

AT THIS TIME, ALL IS OK. IS A TERRIFIC SOFTWARE

GENERACIÓN DE CROQUIS Y PLANOS, ASÍ COMO BASE DE DATOS Y GENERACIÓN DE PERFILES EN DOS DIMENSIONES.

Surfer review by <span>Tim C.</span>
Tim C.

"One of my essential tools"

What do you like best?

I have used Surfer for many years. I have found it to be highly flexible and reliable, and the customer service has been great.

What do you dislike?

I have nothing I dislike about the product.

I use Surfer for environmental consulting and hydrogeology. I use it for interpolating groundwater contours and plotting sample locations.

Surfer review by User

"I use Surfer all the time."

What do you like best?

It has many methods to grid data and many to low and high pass filter.

What do you dislike?

The one thing I want to see added to the functionality is a polynomial transformation where you tell it local grid coordinates (like 4 corners) and it transforms them to global coordinates like UTM.

It is efficient.

Surfer review by <span>Hugo J.</span>
Hugo J.

"The best contouring package money can buy"

What do you like best?

Naturally Surfer's contouring abilities are at the core of the package functionality

What do you dislike?

There is absolutely nothing that I dislike about Surfer

I am working in the field of hydrogeological modelling and solve all my contouring problems of groundwater level contours and contaminant mass transport contouring with Surfer

Surfer review by <span>Mark G.</span>
Mark G.

"Very intuitive program"

What do you like best?

Aside from the great functionality, Surfer is very intuitive and it is rare that I need to even look at the help.

What do you dislike?

Would like Surfer to be able to export 8-bit color jpegs, not just 24-bit.

Display of dispersion modeling results and maps/diagrams for environmental reports.

Surfer review by Administrator

"Surfer insight"

What do you like best?

the number of mapping algorithm and the clarity of the figures produced

What do you dislike?

I would like that surfer will implement the kriging algorithm by addin more kriging types (i.e., kriging with external drift, cokriging, regression kriging, disjunctive kriging) and to add the possibility to modelling more variograms.

Implement the cross- section potential (i.e, geological cross- sections)

I do not like the recent policy of the golden software regarding the annual fees for Surfer, I prefer the old purchase method

I use Surfer for Research

Surfer review by User

"I used Surfer for geophysical data vizualization many years and I teach students to work with him"

What do you like best?

1. Correct gridding.

2. Very good visualization (especially 3D).

3. Good surface analysis procedures.

What do you dislike?

In some cases, it is inconvenient to configure the card, there is no export in GeoTiff.

Visualization of geophysical fields and their spatial analysis, as well as separation over spatial frequencies.

Surfer review by <span>Thierry H.</span>
Thierry H.

"GIS and 3D DTM"

What do you like best?

Brilliant software, constant progression, hot line always available and very efficient

What do you dislike?

I dislike nothing, complex solutions are necessary for complex problems

Recommendations to others considering the product

High performance software, continuous improvement, high level of technical expertise, immediate help disponibility

Research in urban history, GIS, 3D DTM, power and flexibility

Surfer review by Consultant

"Surfer makes my job easier"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to drill down into the model and examine various scenarios

What do you dislike?

I really don't have any dislikes, works as advertised and the documentation helps a lot too

Recommendations to others considering the product

Download the trial version and see what you think. The license seems expensive but it really does pay for itself in the long run.

We are able to design soil and groundwater remediation systems more efficiently by being able to examine and validate our various conceptual models of the project sites

Surfer review by <span>Allen W.</span>
Allen W.

"Surfer contouring and mapping tool is phenomenal for making maps and statistical plots such as cfads"

What do you like best?

Can contour large datasets very quickly. Can produce publication quality graphics easily

What do you dislike?

Surfer 15 menu bar is not as easy to use as previous verions

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it. Play around with it and see if it provides everything you need.

Not in business.

Surfer review by <span>blake h.</span>
blake h.

"Large amount of mapping done in surfer"

What do you like best?

ease of use and speed when using scrpits. Great support

What do you dislike?

some simple functions like not being able to turn off multiple layers in a map, slow export process

mapping for presentations and analysis. Great looking maps when finished and very meaningful results

Surfer review by <span>Grzegorz N.</span>
Grzegorz N.

"Best tools to data gridding and contour map creating"

What do you like best?

Easy using and flexible options. I use this software sińce 1995

What do you dislike?

I dislike new ribbon menu and new properites window

Recommendations to others considering the product

Best tool to making surface msps

Gridding Waters table, compute soil volume, preparing data for groundwater modeling

Surfer review by User in Semiconductors
User in Semiconductors

"Great tool for processing data"

What do you like best?

The easy way to play with data during processing step. Surfer is a great tool for 2D and 3d mapping, modeling and analysis. It is very useful for bathymetric data, when you easily upload ASCII - x,y,z files.

What do you dislike?

Dislike? Nothing. The Surfer is excellent software with reasonable price.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very reasonable price for the software. Highly recommend this product.

I usually use Surfer for magnetometer and bathy data, to create shapes , maps and models.

Surfer review by <span>Bennie S.</span>
Bennie S.

"Surfer does everything that I need."

What do you like best?

Map making ability. I also like the ability to use data from worksheets to make maps.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes Surfer seems to get hung up and takes a while to respond.

The ability to make digital terrain maps.

Surfer review by <span>Alain P.</span>
Alain P.

"To show in a simple way world's complexity"

What do you like best?

The ability to manage big amount of spatial data to make clear and comprehensive maps

What do you dislike?

Nothing except i always want new features.

Surface and ground water pollution management. I get a better understanding of those problems.

Surfer review by User

"Use in marine geophysics and rock magnetism by lightning"

What do you like best?

The possibility to select many parameters for every plot element so that the created Figure is really ready for printing; the possibility to add data of any kind as .bna files

What do you dislike?

The use of settings in the Preferences file has been much easier in earlier versions of Surfer.

It is impossible to import .srf files in Corel Draw.

Plot of magnetic and gravimetric anomalies and bathymetric data

Surfer review by Consultant

"Surfer experience since 20 years"

What do you like best?

Easy handling, good control on many details

What do you dislike?

With large images view built-up gets much too slow

Creating maps, handling complex data, reprojecting

Good interaction of Surfer, CAD, QGis, CorelDraw

Surfer review by <span>Reinaldo C.</span>
Reinaldo C.

"Easy to use by anyone."

What do you like best?

The possibility of display grids and modify its horizontal resolution.

What do you dislike?

It is not a dislike, but the grid interpolation algorithm could be better.

Displaying topographic and bathymetric schemes.

Surfer review by <span>Eduardo S.</span>
Eduardo S.

"Amazing software for map construction"

What do you like best?

I like best the user-friendly interface.

What do you dislike?

You cannot build easily map with other types of data classification different from equal interval.

I work with precision agriculture

"Surfer review"

What do you like best?

The software is fast and good control of what you are doing.

What do you dislike?

I would like to have interpolation methods like least squares collocation.

Deformation modelling

Surfer review by <span>Jean-Marie L.</span>
Jean-Marie L.

"Regular user"

What do you like best?

Ability to create quickly quality maps from Excel data

What do you dislike?

High cost of software and of software updates

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it.

Generate structure maps

Surfer review by User

"Easy to work with and very efficient"

What do you like best?

I tried to create watersheds with GIS and had a lot of problems but with surfer it was super easy and fast. The visualization is also really good.

What do you dislike?

I find working with the basemap a bit hard and slow.

I created Aquifers with multiple layers. I created the Grids for a Modlflow groundwater model. I make Watersheds for Floodprotection.

Surfer review by Administrator

"Filtering spatial data."

What do you like best?

Ease of use. The program has a good user interface.

What do you dislike?

The lack of quantitative spatial filtering. A user should be able to say that they have filtered all features with wavelengths shorter than 1 km, rather than saying that they simply smoothed the data. Program needs a spatial Fourier Transform filtering capability.

Geophysics research and teaching.

Surfer review by Consultant

"Two decades of use, still getting better"

What do you like best?

Fine controls over gridding algorithms, seamless format exchanges with ArcGIS & CAD

What do you dislike?

While automation of repetitive tasks is possible using Scripter, this functionality out to be included in the main program's tool kit. Grid comparisons are onerous due to need to match cell sizes and grid dimensions.

Good tool for comparisons of hydrographic data sets.

"long time user"

What do you like best?

very easy to use, excellent option for kreaging, very fast good output excelent map

What do you dislike?

shape output and input sometimes bad, cut and fills not easy to understand when all values are below zero, no option to calculate cut and foll for one line directly from the map

creating maps from multi beam echosounder

Surfer review by User

"Excellent software and user friendly for map making"

What do you like best?

User Friendly. Customer support is excellent.

What do you dislike?

I am still learning all the tricks of Surfer. There is nothing I particularly dislike.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Surfer is excellent and user friendly for all things map making. Customer support is open to suggestions for improving the software.

Making maps for presentations, contour maps, volume calculations, isopach maps.

Surfer review by Consultant

"One of my go to programs"

What do you like best?

It does what I need it to do. You want me to add more but that is the basic

What do you dislike?

I have been happy with it for years, not much more to say

I use it mostly to manipulate images and build montages although I do sometimes use it to manipulate xyz data

Surfer review by User

"Versitile 3d Visualization Software"

What do you like best?

Ability to take data with three dimensions and quickly and effectively create a picture of what it looks like

What do you dislike?

Bit hard to understand all the bells and whistles at first.

Quick visualizations of large or complex data sets to achieve a picture of what is going on.

Surfer review by Consultant

"25 years of satisfaction"

What do you like best?

Ease of use and comprehensive array of options to produce high quality images

What do you dislike?

Difficult sometimes to interface with those who require full compatibility with ArcInfo.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A cost-effective and versatile high quality product with excellent support

Production of images in easily modified formats for assisting in mineral exploration

Surfer review by <span>福友 .</span>
福友 .

"Surfer is very useful for me!"

What do you like best?

Simple and Convenient.It can Meet my demand for map.

What do you dislike?

Edit counter line by manual is not flexible.

Recommendations to others considering the product

simple and flexible.

Can make what I need maps.

Surfer review by <span>Mark E.</span>
Mark E.

"Great product and easy for mapping"

What do you like best?

The ease of use and updating a file in a map

What do you dislike?

Nothing as of now, I find all of the functionalities helpful

Recommendations to others considering the product

Surfer is worth the price and functionality.

General mapping

Surfer review by User in Oil & Energy
User in Oil & Energy

"Surfer works for those difficult one-off jobs"

What do you like best?

The ability to do easy calculations of volume and slope in 3D datasets.

What do you dislike?

The amount of file formats Surfer can take is a bit limited compared to some of the competition.

Surfer works well for generating impressive marketing material and statistics.

"Great an very helpful"

What do you like best?

If you have to manage datasets and want a Multi-Tool to visualize them

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I miss. Really. Now the 40 signs are reached.

Environmental investigations of soil, water and air. Visualize complex datasets to the customer.

Surfer review by Consultant

"Surfer is the friend of mine"

What do you like best?

1). 3D pictures.

2). Better computation of 2D maps relative to Surfer.

What do you dislike?

Long procedure to eliminate dashes and values from 2D map.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is never a dull moment with Surfer.

Impressive presentation of my results to higher bosses.

Surfer review by Consultant

"Groundwater Contouring and Contaminant Isocons"

What do you like best?

Ease of use and quick to prepare GW elevation contour maps.

What do you dislike?

Somewhat difficult to learn for new user.

More proficient review and presentation of data. Able to evaluate/understand site conditions in less time saving $.

Surfer review by User in Research
User in Research

"A nice fast program."

What do you like best?

It provides a flexible platform that can be scripted for large projects.

What do you dislike?

Like everyone I wish it was free, but it's worth it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Better interoperability with Program R.

Primarily surface generation to address biological questions.

Surfer review by User

"Excellent product - Does the job"

What do you like best?

Profiling is a great feature and plotting 3D surface is an excellent addition.

What do you dislike?

Not able to export the profile data to excel for further processing.

processing 3D cloud data to present in research papers.

Surfer review by User in Higher Education

"Great visualisation software"

What do you like best?

very practical software Visuals, 2 D and 3D

What do you dislike?

all is well so far with the software, still to explore more of it

Recommendations to others considering the product

its the way to visualisation software

Hydrological data analysis and output

"Review"

What do you like best?

Easy to use. Autotmation is very useful. Range of outputs is good.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. It would be nice to be able to import dwg files as basemaps.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's good.

Producing risk contours.

Surfer review by User in Higher Education

"Surfer software"

What do you like best?

Flexibility and precision in geostatistical analysis. It is a high-quality software.

What do you dislike?

(not applicable) In my view, the software is of high standard, in most respects.

many applications in spatial analysis

"Excellent Product"

What do you like best?

Its capabilities for 3d site analysis and surface modelling

What do you dislike?

handling of mixed source referencing data

Site analysis, Lane Use Planning. 3d representation of sites for clients

Surfer review by User in Chemicals
User in Chemicals

"Mine Geologist"

What do you like best?

All gridding features. All mapping features.

What do you dislike?

Repetitive tasks can be time consuming.

Panning large maps is slow.

Creating contour maps, mainly ore thickness and ore quality.

"Works well"

What do you like best?

Ease of use to contour limited data point.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing about the program that I dislike.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Works great.

Use for contouring estimated subsurface features.

Learn more about Surfer

Surfer Videos

Learning about Surfer?

* We monitor all Surfer reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.