G2 Crowd Acquires Siftery to Create a New Way to Buy and Manage Software Spend ­čÜÇ

Tableau Desktop

(514 reviews)

Tableau Desktop lets you drag & drop to analyze data. You can connect to data in a few clicks, visualize and create interactive dashboards with a few more.

Work for Tableau Desktop?

Learning about Tableau Desktop?

Tableau Desktop Reviews

Showing 532 Tableau Desktop reviews
Tableau Desktop review by Tommie B.
Tommie B.

"A source where you can aggregate business analytical data"

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Tableau Desktop
Tableau Desktop review by thaisameg b.
thaisameg b.

"Tableau The best way to analyze and present your data."

What do you like best?

What I like the most is to be able to relate different databases in order to obtain important information for the work, it is easy to perform in different Dashboards, which can be viewed from any mobile device and computers with a single link and in real time.

What do you dislike?

It does not work without an internet connection and sometimes it gives me an error and it does not allow me to save the changes made, perhaps for some people it is usually a bit complicated and cumbersome.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend it to all companies that have a large amount of data and need to have their information organized and in real time, it is a Business Intelligence platform that helps all companies achieve their objectives and optimal results.

It can help you to join several databases, the presentations with Dashboards are wonderful and easy to understand, when making presentations with global filters the data sample is very simple, provides each user with a profile in which you can save all your publications and edit them whenever you need or require, there are a large number of tutorials and a large community which can help you solve a problem if it is presented and its cost is not very high.

What Self-Service Business Intelligence solution do you use?

Tableau Desktop review by Sydney S.
Sydney S.

"Learn a New Skill"

What do you like best?

I recently used this product to plot the hometowns of the Science and Math majors within our department. It was simple to use and allowed me to easily import data and edit the data.

What do you dislike?

There is a bit of a learning curve to the software. It took me a little time to understand how to use but the videos were very helpful and walked me through each step.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Spend some time watching the videos and researching how to use the product on the internet. It is important to have sound data and make sure there are no typos before uploading it to the software.

It has helped us understand the demographics of students we serve and what areas are must successful for recruiting within our departments. It has taken a lot of legwork out of this data study for me and really pieced it together in an easily digestible format.

Tableau Desktop review by Colin W.
Colin W.

"Simple and intuitive program makes for great looking visualizations"

What do you like best?

The drag and drop ability of Tableau is fantastic. So is the show me option where you select the inputs and Tableau suggests different visualizations. The ability to slice and dice the data in graphs and charts of different types really helps tell good stories and makes the data more approachable for business and customers. Dashboards are also a really great feature because it allows you to combine many different visualizations into one view. From this view you can make the charts and graphs interact with each other so if your user is interested in only one category, the user can click on the category or filter to that category and all the charts on the dashboard will update accordingly.

What do you dislike?

Working with formulas and especially dates in Tableau is not as easy or as intuitive as in Excel. This makes the transition from Excel to Tableau more difficult, but this could be attributable to having only worked in excel prior to the transition to Tableau whereas someone more experienced in SQL could make the transition in a more easy fashion. Formatting certain parts of the charts and graphs also proves to be difficult, for example, not all column headers can be changed as it is tied to the source data name. People that make the transition from excel to Tableau also need to be aware that creating a table is not easy in Tableau as it is a data visualization tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be prepared for a learning curve, but afterwards, the visualizations are worth the initial push

Intuitive charts, self service type of visualizations and data, and informative graphics

Tableau Desktop review by Zachary B.
Zachary B.

"Quick Analytics, Desktop Bound"

What do you like best?

I love that I can easily combine multiple data sources to create eye-catching visualizations. The flexibility that the software gives is well suited to the data I work with.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that this software is desktop computer bound. There are no cloud analytic options available. This limits my work in the amount of data I can work with and in the platforms I can use to edit my work. First, my work is highly mobile; I am often meeting partners in conference rooms or their own offices and I need to be able to edit my work on the fly. So the speed at which I can process data is limited by the power of my laptop. Secondly, I would like to be able to edit data using a cloud application. However, this functionality is not available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product for data Analysis. You might not need all the fancy pieces of the Tableau Server, a simple desktop app and Tableau Public might serve you well.

We have created several streamlined dashboards which help inform high-level decisions. The benefits are realized in our communication with stakeholders and accuracy of data.

Tableau Desktop review by raul l.
raul l.

"Real-time data analysis"

What do you like best?

Tableau I love since I can keep all my information in one place in an organized way and instantly, I can check the inventory of my company, as well as verify what kind of work was done to the fleet of vehicles that are in charge, to make the presentations to the employees I make simple Dashboards, which show a lot of information of interest to all.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I do not like is that without internet connection tableau does not work and sometimes the application becomes slow, sometimes when I make a change and I want to save it gives me error which makes my changes are not saved

Recommendations to others considering the product

This tool is perfect for those companies that have a large number of databases and want to organize them immediately and accurately, in my case it is excellent to know statistical data sales and any other information that requires about vehicles, is a Business Intelligence platform that grows at enormous speed.

What I have solved with tableau is being able to organize my data in one place, and when I want to consult some information I can do it quickly and accurately, which helps me make important decisions in the company, Tableau provides each user with a profile in which you can save all your publications and edit them whenever you need or require it, I can place filters that makes it easier for me to search for information.

Tableau Desktop review by DAVID F.
DAVID F.

"All my databases in one place"

What do you like best?

This tool helps me to present in a fast and reliable way all the data we have in one or several databases that we use in the company, we present it to the bosses through Dashboards, in a friendly and easy to understand way to through graphics, calendars, maps among others, data is analyzed since it has global filters that are very useful and they can be viewed from your desktop computer, as well as from cell phones and tablets, just by sharing a link.

What do you dislike?

If I have several applications open on the computer, it can often get a little slow, sometimes when I'm making changes to the Dashoboards and I give it to save data and it gives an error which does not allow me to make the changes I want, which implies new the task.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is an easy to use tool, it helps you to reduce the company's cats and increase profits, it helps you in a quick and easy way to take decisions of the company, tableau adapts very well for large and small companies, it is a Business Intelligence platform that grows at enormous speed.

With tableau the company has managed to reduce working time when making presentations and reports that show the statistical data that is required to know in real time for decision making, as it connects with several local files with text formats (*. txt, * .csv, * .tsv, * .tab). To Google Sheets, Excel and Access files. Tableau Public can also connect with statistical software files such as SAS, SPSS (* .sav) and R, it allows you to collect scattered information, it is an intelligent platform and the best thing is that it is constantly updated.

Tableau Desktop review by Michelle D.
Michelle D.

"Fantastic visualization software"

What do you like best?

Tableau has brought my department and our website into the 21st century. Making interactive dashboards and graphs has made a huge difference to the quality of our website and quality of our internal documents and presentations. Tableau does take some time to learn, but the capabilities of this program go way above and beyond anything else I have ever used. If there is a function you would like to do that is not supported with the point-and-click features of the program, you can write your own script, which is amazing.

What do you dislike?

Tableau is expensive, and the vendors will definitely continue to try to push more paid products, such as Tableau server. If you are able to properly mask identifiers out from your data, Tableau Desktop + Tableau Public are great. It does have a bit of a learning curve, but they offer plenty of support tutorials.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the time to train on it initially. It will make the process so much easier. The time spent will pay off!

We are using Tableau for online dashboards. Using interactive features, we are able to cut down on a lot of employee work time because folks who need data from us can now go to the website and filter on the dashboards without ever needing to have access to the individual-level data.

Tableau Desktop review by Andrew D.
Andrew D.

"Gets the Job Done, but Be Prepared for Setup Time"

What do you like best?

It does a great job of mixing data sources through it's proprietary blending and joining tools. For example, You can have a live SQL connection with a pre-saved query that joins to an Excel spreadsheet on your desk that acts as a crosswalk for a set of fields if need be.

What do you dislike?

It's truly a "blank slate" and it takes time and effort to get your dashboards off the ground before you can publish them for your end users. The gains are there, as these "sandboxes" are self-serve and self-updating for your users, but the human capital it requires to get off the ground can be daunting.

Also, I wish that Tableau had a built-in Geocaching tool, as it';s ability to do long-Lad work is dependent on your ability to feed those tools into the system. Direct integration with Google Maps API is a non-starter since we deal with API, so it'd be nice if there was an add-in directly within Tableau.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have the Human Capital needed for setup and buy-in from Leadership, as this is an "all-in" solution that will require work before producing fruit.

I've built entire "cubes" in Tableau which are able to churn through lots of data to do specific tasks (One particular cube would churn through 1,000,000+ lines of patient data to calculate weighted averages) and some basic graphs that auto-refresh for certain users. We're currently integrating Tableau at our current organization and using mapping and SQL to do analysis regarding the distance our patients travel to Pomona Valley Hospital within our service area.

Tableau Desktop review by Alexander C.
Alexander C.

"It's the best in class data visualizer, but has a big learning curve"

What do you like best?

Tableau is really great at handling large data sets. I've dropped in files that have tens of millions of rows of data, in addition to multiple connections and data attributes, and as long as I extract a .twb file local version on my computer it's very quick.

The other thing I like is the customizable data after you've imported. For example - if I had a data property that wasn't being calculated correctly, I can convert data, write custom formulas to better analyze and more. Their visualization tool is also the best I've used.

What do you dislike?

It has a BIG learning curve, and it sometimes not user-friendly. I understand that it's a complex product, but it's the same amount of effort as learning excel as a true beginner IMO. I spent enough time messing things up in Tableau that I *eventually* learned it, but it took me a while. It can also be slow to load large data sets initially.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to find online resources.

We use Tableau to visualize all of our data and make it digestible to understand trends/areas of improvement. One of the things we love to do is see trends that may not be noticeable from just looking at the raw data.

Tableau Desktop review by Rahul S.
Rahul S.

"Visualize everything and anything "

What do you like best?

This platform has changed the way data used to flow from an analysts work desk to that of the audience. With simple visualizations, filters, dashboards it has made visualization easy and accessible to millions of people around the globe.

What do you dislike?

The biggest disadvantage for this platform is that once you make your visualization public everyone has an access to it. they can download and manipulate it. Though it helps the community grown but the security issue that comes up becomes a major concern for some companies with sensitive data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Clean the data first, since Tableau cannot read a lot of formats. If you data is not clean the tool cannot do much. Also one you are inside the tool have a flow of what you want to do ready so that the tons of options do not confuse or mislead you.

Using this platform to analyse data , exploratory data analysis, formulate visualizations and make presentations to clients.

Tableau Desktop review by Armando E.
Armando E.

"Tableau review"

What do you like best?

very simple and intuitive drag and drop interface with auto summarization that allows you to get results right away.

I like how in a single interface you can do crosstab and summary reports combined with list detailed reports and combine each of those into a dashboard and even dripp up and down through hierarchies

What do you dislike?

the functionality is limited, it is not possible to build complex reports like joining data sets with different levels of granullarity and still get correct roll-ups.

U dont like the fact that is not possible to define different types of roll-ups for different dimensions like Time, like doing a average or last period roll-up over time dimension and aritmethic sum over other dimensions.

Not being able to export properly to excel is a big pain. All end users from any company were born with Excel and they will never give it away, it is the most comfortable tool for consumer type of user although DWH administrators do not like it. Excel is unavoidable and we should deal with and find a way to integrate it rather than exclude it from the tech stack.

Recommendations to others considering the product

although I think is going in the right direction, the lack of complex modeling is very painful

Operational reporting and dashboards. End users are more capable of doing self-service reports without IT crowd intervention given the easy user interface. Report sharing through Table Web portal is very helfull and allows the user community to speak the same language

Tableau Desktop review by Cameron L.
Cameron L.

"Tableau is the most easy-to-use and visually impressive data visualization tool I've ever used."

What do you like best?

The visuals are stunning! I've used a lot of different software for run and/or visualize data analytics and none of them come close to this level of quality in the output. It's also incredibly easy to use.

What do you dislike?

Automation isn't as simple/useful as it is with other software, such as R. Another strange, yet very real, dislike it that the software may be too easy to use. The only reason that's a problem is because I've see people without experience in data analytics/statistics create charts, interpret the results, and deliver very inaccurate insights to their DMs. This isn't really a problem with the software, but companies need to make sure that their analysis is run by qualified employees. It's also a big expensive, but maybe that's because I'm used to open source software (R).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Tableau offers a free trial. Download it and toss in some data to seem what it's capable of, how much better its output looks than other software's output, and how easy it is to use. Unless you need frequent automation, you'll like the product.

We run analytics for other companies, and our clients are frequently blow away by the level of depth and quality of our reports. It's great with marketing/sales data, product data, operations/financial data, Research Data, and anything else you can throw at it. We use it most frequently to visualize Customer Lifetime Value to our clients.

Tableau Desktop review by Maxwell J.
Maxwell J.

"Tableau Desktop - Where data speaks"

What do you like best?

The best part about Tableau desktop is the ease of use. I use it every day and I think that a huge reason for that is how comfortable it was to learn the software. Although, this is due to me putting in the time to learn how to leverage the platform. But I couldn't do my job without this tool.

What do you dislike?

My only gripe with Tableau Desktop would have to be that there wasn't a whole lot of resources for me to get acquainted with the platform. I do dislike for how robust it is, Tableau hasn't quite gotten to the point where they can showcase all of the different features that are available. It would be really nice if they could almost format some of the available features with separate toolboxes instead of hiding some of the best features in the tabs above.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I honestly believe that Tableau Desktop is the optimal tool to analyze any and all data. I don't know what else I would use to get the kind of information that I receive from analyzing my data in Tableau Desktop.

I use Tableau Desktop to optimize all of my marketing campaigns. The benefits that can come from this optimization could be savings worth up to hundreds of thousands. Not to mention raising the ROI on almost every campaign I run after optimizing. This has been crucial since I currently work with 20+ vendors every quarter.

Tableau Desktop review by Dana B.
Dana B.

"Great Reporting Tool or Pivot on Steroids "

What do you like best?

I am a Tableau power user, thought I am only scratching on the surface of all its capabilities. The options for reporting are endless and data can be pulled in from data bases or imported directly from Excel.

What do you dislike?

When we run issues with data sources we always depend on help from the tech team. Software updates also only work when we update our data bases as well, so sometimes it takes some time until we are able to take advantage of new features etc. With the latest update I've also experiences problems with frequent crashing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't get overwhelmed by the setup process and just play with it. It's a very powerful tool that makes data analysis easy.

We use Tableau to combine a number of data sources and report on performance of all different channels and programs that drive traffic to our websites. It's most used by the marketing team for all paid acquisition channels.

Tableau Desktop review by Greg P.
Greg P.

"The Industry Standard Data Visualization Tool"

What do you like best?

Lots of Data Connectors

Almost unlimited Data Viz Potential

Big community for support

Polished Vizzes that are easy to create

Easy to create multi-chart Dashboards that can interact with each other.

Quick data to insight ability (as long as your data is OK)

What do you dislike?

Tableau is not a data warehouse, so you cannot assume you can load entire tables with multi-million row datasets into it and expect your fully interactive dashboard to perform. Perhaps with a later version this will be addressed.

While almost any kind of Viz is possible in Tableau it is not immediately obvious to what is possible. So there is a learning curve involved. Once you get it though, you get it.

Can be slow working with large datasets.

Tableau interface can incorrectly assume what viz you are after.

Tableau's customer support is not so good anymore

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want an industry standard tool for Visualizations then Tableau is a good answer. There is a huge user base that you can rely on for support. Tableau as an organisation seems to be very passionate about their users and product, they are here to stay.

- Analytics around our customer funnel (Signup/Confirm/Convert)

- Analytics around our customer usage

- Accounting reports

- Presenting Company goal performance

- Historical Reports

Tableau Desktop review by Joyce L.
Joyce L.

"Why use Tableau for visual reporting"

What do you like best?

Easily accessible anytime/anywhere for clients, automated a lot of manual updated to charts and graphs in excel that were pdf and emailed out.

More robust visualization of data and metrics that were not available in excel, SAS or business objects

What do you dislike?

some of the functionality that was easy to create/change in excel has to be manipulated in Tableau to get the same results

Recommendations to others considering the product

Evaluate the time and resources currently dedicated to maintaining reporting/metrics that could be shifted to analytics using Tableau. Also great way to present data vs. the usual power point presentations that take time to create/update for each meeting.

Time efficiency : daily reporting is now automatically updated from SQL server

More analytics: time is now spent on analytics with data and easier to report and visualize for executive leadership levels

Tableau Desktop review by Amanda P.
Amanda P.

"Best in class for dashboards"

What do you like best?

It's a great tool for data visualizations and reporting.

What do you dislike?

Many things that seem like they should be simple actually are not. There are work arounds, level of detail formulas, and the like to handle many of the issues. But at the end of the day you should pair tableau with Alteryx or another data cleansing tool. It speeds things up and helps tableau understand the data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is a learning curve but it's worth learning. It's a good tool on its own. It's fantastic when paired with Alteryx.

Side note to the questionaire.. I don't know what the context is of more or less. I answered as what I use it for more or less.

All of our reports are created and published with Tableau Desktop. It handles large amounts of data well, depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

Tableau Desktop review by Ignasi P.
Ignasi P.

"One of the best data analysis softwares"

What do you like best?

The amount of external integrations you can connect and the way you can merge, mix and cross multisources of data is phenomenal. Also you can export the data into different formats and use them with other softwares to complement and increase the power of Tableau

What do you dislike?

The graphical output could be improved in terms of visual information. Sometimes the graphical options and the user experience, you have for representing complex data are not the optimal for your requirements

Recommendations to others considering the product

Tableau is undoubtely a very good option for data analysis. The learning curve can be hard at the begining but after the juice you can extract is valuable for decisions based on data

We are using Tableau as the main analytical tool for reporting and creating insights by connecting our internal database, google analytics, and other third party sources

Tableau Desktop review by Wendy G.
Wendy G.

"Tableau Data Visualization"

What do you like best?

coming from the old school of Microsoft SSRS, Crystal Reports, Business Objects, tableau is so easy to use. You can design a sharp dashboard quickly.

Features are great, once you understand the console and green and blue pills

The community is the best. Each time i run into a roadblock, google leads me to community and users who have taken the time to share their solutions. Tableau users are so enthusiastic to share their visualizations, solutions, and workarounds.

The company also responds well to user requests. They did so by launching new features in 10.5 (read my blog to learn my favorite enhancements in Tableau 10.5! https://www.captechconsulting.com/blogs/my-five-favorite-enhancements-in-tableau)

Tableau is a deep product. there is so much below the standard bar charts and cross tabs, if you know how to or take the time to learn.

What do you dislike?

Some functionality seems like it should be out of the box. In my experience being good at tableau entails being creative at workarounds. I love and get frustrated by this.

clear all filters, navigation buttons (aside from story points), reference line tooltip customization are a few. i'm not saying these are simple to code for.

Data driven insights. various operational reporting. on the fly data analysis

Tableau Desktop review by Shreya D.
Shreya D.

"Tableau - A tool for Data Visualization"

What do you like best?

It helps us to visualize and understand data. Helps in business analysis, predict market trends. Caters to the needs of an organization. Can be integrated with different kinds of data sources like excel, csv, different kinds of databases like Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle. The latest version of tableau allows data from different sources to be accessed at the same time from different sources and create cross data joins. This helps in the analytics tremendously. Custom geographic locations can also be created using latest version of tableau.

What do you dislike?

Need some understanding of statistics to use this software, cannot retrieve previous versions of the same file created. So, version management is a problem. Left joins cannot be created during data loading. These need to be created separately using blends. Dashboard interface is not easy to use. It's difficult to adjust and place the different sheets in dashboard while working on a laptop. takes up a lot of memory. High license cost. The data cleansing features of tableau needs to be improvised. It understands data only in certain predefined format. Loading and refreshing data is slow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use tableau if you don't want to code. You can analyze the data in charts, bar graphs, pie diagrams form. This kind of visualization helps the marketing team to study the data.

Business Intelligence tool: Analyze sales, predict business trends, analyze profits/loss, analyze ROI. The enterprise data analysis has helped in making decisions and improve business.

Tableau Desktop review by Sarit S.
Sarit S.

"Very easy to learn and use. Build industry standard eye catching visualization."

What do you like best?

Flawless drag and drop capability followed by automatic chart selection based on the data. Its capability to aggregate data in the visualizations at different dimension level using LOD expressions. High speed data extract creation and faster vizs.

What do you dislike?

No easy way for nested sorting based on the desired dimension level.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Creation of extracts from a data table of over a billion records in Google Big Query might be difficult. Multiple times it failed to created for me.

Apart from this, as long as the data table isn't that big, Tableau works great. Great tool when it comes to ad hoc programming and really a best way for users like me to easily surprise supervisors.

After the inclusion of Hyper, data extracts creation now are very fast.

internal data KPIs. Fast and effective way of showing data anomalies.

Tableau Desktop review by Vipul S.
Vipul S.

"Ease to use-> Basic Knowledge Needed"

What do you like best?

1. Drag & Drop Facility. User-friendly and basic knowledge of Database is needed.

What do you dislike?

License is expensive. 3d Graphs should be implemented in this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I will suggest this tool for those people who want to analyze their data but don't want to put more efforts in writing query each time. In this, you only need a basic knowledge of joining table and know how the tables are linked to each other. You only need to write query in very rare case. And the tool is very fast in giving the analyses. The only thing is that you may forget how to write query after using this software. But your logic will be strong.

I am solving about how many sells we have done in a month, week, quarter and year. Pictorial representation helps in understanding the trend of sales.

Tableau Desktop review by yorgelis h.
yorgelis h.

"The best to present reliable data"

What do you like best?

What I like the most is that I can get graphs, reports, maps of data that I have in several databases in a fast and safe way, in real time, I can make Dashboards which I can add global filters that make the search for information easier.

What do you dislike?

I do not like that the application sometimes gets a little slow and sometimes it gives an error to save and does not make the changes made, if you open several tableau the internet slows down.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend it to all companies that have many databases and a lot of information and need to have the information in an organized and real time, this application is perfect for any type of growing company

It helps us to perform statistical calculations, to have information in a fast and real-time way, for being a very intelligent platform completely renewed, the information is displayed in a very friendly way and can be shared with a link and viewed on mobile devices and computers.

Tableau Desktop review by Marty A.
Marty A.

"Tableau developer Expert (Jedi)"

What do you like best?

Ease of use and ability to quickly get started with no previous experience. A natural path from excel analysis to Tableau.

Once you get started, you can share insights with others and then iterate through improved versions taking advantage of powerful features.

Tableau desktop always encourages visualization best practices.

What do you dislike?

I often find myself having to reshape the data slightly to make it easier for creating the visualizations. Tableau has made huge improvements in lightweight data prep within Tableau. They are addressing this issue by introducing a self-service data prep tool, shortly by Q4 2017 or soon after.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The popularity of Tableau has proved to be an excellent resource for training our developers, finding short-term resources and getting answers to questions through Tableau's FREE training site, in addition to Forums and user groups. As with most software try before you buy.

What business problems are we not solving with Tableau Desktop? Everything from lead generations to workforce management. Financial analysis and both internal facing and customer facing dashboards. We are seeing better decision making by being able to track our marketing efforts and creating efficiencies in teams to be able to better help our customers, in turn, helping ourself and increasing revenue.

Tableau Desktop review by User

"Powerful data visualization tool"

What do you like best?

Tableau is one of the market leaders for analytics and data visualization. Ability to build quick, simple and at the same time powerful charts. It as has a very user friendly interface. Also, you can build interfaces and connect it to company┬┤s ERP, CRM and other suites.

What do you dislike?

I don┬┤t have cons to add. I really recommend this tool. There are several others data visualization tools in the market but this is the one I've been using with more frequency due to its attributes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try first to understand the dynamics of the software. Once you learn it thoroughly, you wil be able to build more and more complex charts.

Ability to centralize data with a one single source of truth. Integration with legacy systems. User friendly interface making it less complex to business users. This tool is becoming one of the standards for analytics and data visualization in this new digital and disruptive era.

Tableau Desktop review by Kaylee A.
Kaylee A.

"Great Visualization Service"

What do you like best?

I like that everything is drag and drop, which makes experimenting with different visualizations very easy. Also that the visualizations update automatically when you make changes to the data in your excel document.

What do you dislike?

There is not much that I dislike, but sometimes the system gets confused when you upload multiple sheets from a single excel document.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for those who have experience with visualizing, but best for those who have little to no experience. If you have a lot of experience with visualization, you may find that the software doesn't fit all of your needs or do everything you want it to do.

I teach this software in my art markets classes, where our teaching team shows students how to visualize non-conventional data. Because it is so easy to use, our humanities students who are not often exposed to data visualization prior to taking our classes really benefit from this software and are able to learn how to use data efficiently even in non-STEM fields.

Tableau Desktop review by User

"Useful, but with a learning curve"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to create visualizations for business purposes using this technology--once you have learned to use it properly. I also really like how much support there is for this product, both from Tableau and the Tableau community.

What do you dislike?

It is not a super intuitive product. I would definitely recommend taking a class to begin your implementation of this product. Both for the administrator and actual user/creator.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Recommend but with the caution that implementation will take work; however, the work will be worth it if you regularly make visualizations with large datasets.

We use Tableau Desktop to create interactive dashboards for clients. We are still in the learning process of how to best design these dashboards so they can be used successfully. Once we have a bit more experience I believe these dashboards will be very popular products.

Tableau Desktop review by Administrator in Staffing and Recruiting
Administrator in Staffing and Recruiting

"The Best BI Tool"

What do you like best?

The amount of different Viz's you can make. There is a ton of customization, not only in aesthetics, but also in transforming the data. Things like changing how dates are evaluated/represented, to the insane amount of colors. Also it can connect to a TON of data sources, with a lot of customization into the data you're pulling from the data sources. I've found other products pull the data without showing you how, so when things go wrong, its hard figuring out why. Also there is a ton of online blogs/tutorials on Tableau. It has a huge user base, so that helps a ton when trying to figure out problems.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve is steep. It took me a good 8 months to really feel confident in it. You can watch all the videos you want, but the only way to learn is to dive in (like most things). Also data prep is a huge undertaking. I work with less than perfect data, so I have to do alot of cleaning up. However they did just add a new product (Tableau Prep) to help solve this problem. However, its an additional cost.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get this product- its price is very reasonable, the power of it is amazing, and the user base is large.

Presenting data to upper management in an easy and quick way. They are way more likely to be interested in data if it is easy to understand, and Tableau allows us to do this.

Tableau Desktop review by Aleksandra M.
Aleksandra M.

"Really impressive looking reports and easy to navigate"

What do you like best?

The charts and graphs come formatted and you don't need to spend a lot of time formatting. Once you have the data you can actually use it to present your finding or do analysis.

What do you dislike?

There are limitations what can be done with the data within Tableau; some limitation on the formatting; Also learning curve to learn yet another data visualization tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you understand how much work you need to put in the data before assuming everything will look great. You need to have the data in a usable format in order to use it. Great if you are switching from Excel or Access but not if you think this will be magic and require no work.

Financial reporting to senior management; monthly and quarterly report distribution to mid level managers. We use to present budgets, goals and past year success; Multiple scorecards and KPI Reports. We also distribute the detail level data along with the report if there are questions about data elements not displayed in the reports.

Tableau Desktop review by Larry B.
Larry B.

"A visualization is worth 1,000 words"

What do you like best?

Tableau makes it easy to take my data, combine it with other data, and create a visualization that really tells a story. There are so many things that are easy to see in a visualization of the data that are very difficult to see in the raw data. Tableau allows me to easily create complex filters so that I can hone in on just the data I need.

What do you dislike?

Navigating a visualization isn't as intuitive as it could be. One of our visualization is a map and Google maps has much better navigation. I wish there was an easy way to overlay a scale onto a map so distances between point could be calculated.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have data in Excel that you need to quickly and easily analyze with capabilities beyond those found in Excel, then Tableau Desktop would be a good fit for you.

We map sales data to determine under served areas based on population densities, and we all use the map to locate customers near a prospect's location.

Tableau Desktop review by Jake D.
Jake D.

"Tableau is the benchmark"

What do you like best?

Everything. I suppose if I had to pick then it would be the drag-n-drop. Sure, there are other tools out there that have the same feature, but the implementation is superb. The Tableau team really hit the mark for overall business impact.

What do you dislike?

Occasionally I run up against the limits of available memory, so it would be nice if there was an easy way to boost the compute abilities. Unfortunately that is more of a hardware issue.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it, play with it. Engage with the community. It is a powerful tool in the right hands.

Departmental metrics are so easy to create and publish. We use it for much more than that, of course. I have used it to publish visuals of telematics fault data by GPS clustered locations.

Tableau Desktop review by User in Telecommunications
User in Telecommunications

"Great app for tabulating survey data"

What do you like best?

I love how detailed the customization capabilities are. In addition to the customization, you have the ability to drill down to very specific details regarding specific pieces of information gathered through the survey questions.

What do you dislike?

It takes a lot of effort to get everything set up to where you can gain meaningful insights from the data gathered. Also, it tends to be a little slow when bringing up results to review for different options - although that could be due to the amount of data being sorted from our surveys.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Tableau is a great product for taking deep dives into the granular details of survey completion data. I strongly recommend it to those businesses that rely heavily on surveys and the data they collect.

We are utilizing it with a pilot program, which is reviewing surveys taken by our customers. It is calculating our response rate and allowing us to tweak our surveys to solicit a higher take rate amongst the survey recipients.

Tableau Desktop review by Maddie C.
Maddie C.

"The New Must Have Product"

What do you like best?

Tableau allows time of reporting that keeps users up to date with everything and anything they need to do their job, as well as keeping it user-friendly and clean.

What do you dislike?

Some parts of using Tableau as a user rather than the administrator can be confusing, but as long as you know what you're looking for, it's pretty easy to get around.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take any trainings available to help you understand Tableau and how to use it effectively and appropriately, and you will be able to use this to your advantage every single day.

We have not been able to rely on other systems and products in the past for financial reporting, and this has made it completely easy and useful.

Tableau Desktop review by User in Consumer Goods
User in Consumer Goods

"Tableau Desktop-2 Year User"

What do you like best?

Tableau desktop is very easy to use and extremely user friendly. I am sent a link that I am able to save to my computer and easily access the desktop. There is also an app that you can download and is also easy to use. All of the information I need to track my sales goals and yearly sales are in one spot for convince.

What do you dislike?

Tableau will often log me out and I will hav eta log back in, in a short amount of time. Also some data will lag behind therefore not all data is year to date.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I really like Tableau! Simply put it makes hard to read data easy for everyone to understand!

I use Tableau desktop primarily to check how my sales accounts are tracking vs how much time has elapsed in the quarter in order to meet my sales goals. I use it to track my individual budget sales goal, my distribution of product, call coverage and total sales all in one space.

Tableau Desktop review by User in Higher Education

"Great Visualization Tool"

What do you like best?

Easy to use interface and has great reporting features, great for big data as well. Even if you do need strong analytics, it has very useful partnerships and integration with other software packages.

What do you dislike?

It isn't very strong in its analytics, named for predictive analysis, however for basic functions it does a great job, far better option than Excel if you're going to be dealing with lots of data, especially if that data is from different sources as it can run joins across tables.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is great for creating reports of existing data if you are not in need of strong analytics, especially for predictive analysis. However if you have that data available, it will be excellent in visualizing it

I use Tableau for reporting views of candidates for various job positions we have open. The self-service aspect is great as users can adjust the view to their needs. And creating the visualizations themselves is very easy to do and much more efficient visually appealing than Excel most of the time.

Tableau Desktop review by Lingjing S.
Lingjing S.

"Powerful but not flawless"

What do you like best?

The table calculation is really powerful and convenient. Calculated Field and Parameters are also very useful. This is much better than Google Dashboard. With these features, SQL queries can be simplified and let Tableau do the rest of the job.

What do you dislike?

Once the tab name is changed and uploaded to the server, the previous link will break. Compared to excel, it lacks the flexibility to make pretty front. When I search for specific functionality usages, the tableau community or help page sometimes show very old pages and those pages never get updated.

When putting multiple sheets in dashboard, the shape or the length of the container won't adjust according to the the length of the data rows returned.

When switch data source in one sheet, all other sheets that use same data source will also be changed.

The integration with R is not that powerful. A lot of useful visualization or analysis functions in R are not support in Tableau.

The subscription feature can be improved so that users will not get report if anomaly is detected in the data.

The integration with presto is not good. It works fine in desktop but when the report is uploaded to server there will sometimes be an error message and users can't open the report on server.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Tableau Report can be very customized whether for daily reporting or for adhoc analysis.

Tableau Desktop can help to provide Customized Business Report. It can also help to visualize the data without using R or python. Very convenient tool to explore the data at early stage of analysis.

Tableau Desktop review by Consultant in Financial Services
Consultant in Financial Services

"Very User Friendly"

What do you like best?

The Tableau Community is very helpful every time I stall and need help with a visualization. Tableau Public is amazing! It allows me to learn from other users and professionals and improve my work.

What do you dislike?

Some basic visuals, such as selecting top 10% of a category and the next 10% and highlighting these take up quite a bit of time. They require creating parameters and sets. Some of these tasks are a lot easier and faster in Excel

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are trial and beta versions available, so I highly recommend before you settle on a BI tool, to try Tableau.

Creating visuals for presentations, to reflect insights, consulting on partner projects. Benefits are that Tableau can handle a large volume of data and is quicker at processing than Excel. Compared to other visualization software, such as Power BI, Tableau takes up less space and is a lot more user-friendly. Easy to drag and drop and also easy to teach others how to use the software.

Tableau Desktop review by Sajid S.
Sajid S.

"Best Visualization Software !"

What do you like best?

- The simplicity and ease of use.

- Can create and deploy analytical dashboards quickly.

- Has a lot of inbuilt features that can be used for complex statistical analysis.

- Can create your own calculations for the graphs.

- Can connect to various data sources to get your data.

- Can Process multiple data sources at merge them inside Tableau

What do you dislike?

- Tableau still has to iron out few small bugs that arise while normal operations.

- New updates that rollout sometimes mess with current version of dashboards.

- Once dashboard created in older versions is opened in newer versions do not work in older versions anymore.

Recommendations to others considering the product

- Do try it out. you can use the free trial to test it out.

- Tableau even provides free year of license to students.

- Tableau eliminates the need to write custom Javascript code to create visualization on the web.

- It can help understand insights in data that are not possible using normal analysis on data.

- it exceeds in its field when compared with other tools like excel and qlikview in providing indepth anaylsis functions that are ready to use.

- You can integrate big data, external maps, custom geocoding which is sometimes required but not easily implemented.

Tableau Desktop review by Arpit K.
Arpit K.

"Visualize Data like never before"

What do you like best?

The whole platform and the plethora of features Tableau offers is just great. I love how easy it is to upload the data and start working on the analysis and visualizations. The features of data manipulation,

What do you dislike?

The one thing I dislike is the security of your work on the public tableau, this can be improved upon. Otherwise, I have used this extensively and have enjoyed working on it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to get an interactive tool for exploratory and data analysis, tableau is the one. Get it and start having fun with data.

I have used tableau for possibly all my exploratory analysis before starting to actually work on the data. finding correlations, outliers, density, tableau provides everything, combining features, binning, you can customize variables according to your need.

Then, Tableau is also the best tools out there to visualize your analysis, making data speak through visualizations, dashboards is a great way to present your findings and results.

Tableau Desktop review by User

"Best visualization software for instant insights, highly customizable and shareable dashboards"

What do you like best?

Drag and drop, easy mapping built-in, can analyze as fast as you can think, for survey can pivot data quickly from wide to long dataset and then plot all questions WAY faster, table calculations, easily import any kind of data, easy to clean data. Can interact with the visualizations and create dashboards and stories easily

What do you dislike?

That it costs more and that more people aren't using it yet to easily share things with them. I work a lot with partner organizations/governments in developing countries and they can't afford Tableau Desktop and Tableau Public is nice but you can't keep things as private and secure

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is definitely the future. You no longer need to be a nerdy programmer to be savvy data analyst. I think more universities should start teaching data analysis and cleaning with Tableau right off the bat because it's visual and therefore you get instant visual feedback from filtering out certain rows. Then after one REALLY understands data, then it makes more sense to learn an older less visual software like SAS so you have better tuition about what SAS is doing.

Analyzing survey data, creating interactive dashboards and maps for public health/epidemiology dat

Tableau Desktop review by Saumik T.
Saumik T.

"Its the best software to build beautiful and meaningful visualizations quickly."

What do you like best?

Ease of use, drag and drop. Inbuilt data segregation into dimension and measure. Connections to multiple sources. Follows the rules of data visualization most appropriately. Easy distribution and appealing dashboards.

What do you dislike?

Cannot handle live data connection with big tables, becomes slow while calculations. No ETL capabilities as of now. Too costly for any company to use as compared to other open source tools or less costly tools like power BI.

Business problems related to marketing, growth, sales and inventory. Its beneficial to show lots of data on a single dashboard with interconnected filters. Helps even a non technical person to use/understand the visualization.

Tableau Desktop review by User in Government Administration
User in Government Administration

"Powerful and Flexible Data Visualization"

What do you like best?

Tableau is extraordinarily flexible. You can import data from virtually any source and integrate it with data from virtually any OTHER source and manipulate it into maps, charts, graphs, bubbles, lines, etc...whatever type of tool that makes trends and outliers pop out of the crowd.

What do you dislike?

Like most complex software packages, Tableau isn't very intuitive. But, if you are familiar with Excel Pivot charts, you can kludge your way through. Tableau is expensive! And if you want to share your workbook, you either have to have a Tableau Server ($$$) put it on the public tableau cloud server (privacy concerns) or the person you are sharing with has to have Tableau or a free Tableau reader app. Not a deal breaker, by any means, but not ideal.

Tableau is allowing us to move off of obsolete analytics packages and (hopefully) will open up new ways to look at our data. We're able to do all of our analysis via Tableau vs. having to piece things together separately from a few different software packages (e.g. Datamart/Hyperion, Excel, DB2.) We can do it all in one place.

Tableau Desktop review by User in Information Services
User in Information Services

"Tableau - The Visualization tool"

What do you like best?

Amazing visualizations of data in real time to get quick insights. Its really useful because of many build in features and drag drop features. Just load a source of data and it just prompts you various ways you can visualize data

What do you dislike?

There is nothing much i dislike about this tool. I would appreciate more options to write SQL inside tableau which will be useful for data aggregation. For mathematical calculations too, I would say some more options will be helpful

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definite tool if you have loads of data to visualize quickly. Accepts most of the data sources. If you have disparate data sources like a database and some in excel, its really helpful since you can join data inside tableau itself!

Amazing data visualizations are possible really quickly with tableau. It helps you quickly get insights on large datasets by quick drag and drop. Inbuilt maps help with geographic data visualization pretty quickly.

Tableau Desktop review by Mayand T.
Mayand T.

"Great easy to use BI Tool & Great for visualizations "

What do you like best?

What I liked best was that how easy it is to visualize any structured data using Tableau within minutes. There are a lot of data connectors which we can use to import many different kinds of data Creating calculated fields is also fairly easy. Tableau also offers a robust and reliable performance. Tableau also has advanced features for forecasting, prediction and clustering. Tableau also has libraries to import python functions if needed. The geospatial data can also be visualized easily with Tableau.

What do you dislike?

Tableau can be a bit expensive if all its features are not used.

Recommendations to others considering the product

if you need something that is easier to use and mostly for data visualizations but you do not have very complex statistical or regressional requirements that can only be solved via SAS & R then you should give this a try.

Recently, Tableau had added k-means clustering which is very useful for segmentation. I was able to effectively cluster the data set containing benign and malignant tumors using Tableau.

Tableau Desktop review by Ryan D.
Ryan D.

"Tableau Rocks!"

What do you like best?

We are able to track thousands of sales across 200 agents. Scheduling, payment collection, sales, quotas, time spent ready is all tracked in the awesome tool.

What do you dislike?

You can get lost initially because there is a ton of customization. Some of our team have different visions for what they want so there is friction from start. Loading sometimes is a bit slow because of the servers we run on. Not necessarily a tableau problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you get the right fields that you want included. Play with look after you get the correct information in. So useful and informative.

Problems we are solving include multiple sales trackers for 200 agents. We have opportunity numbers, service credits, discounts given, bonus commissions, bonus installations, daily metrics all tracked in tableau for the individual and for the group. They can look up their own information and it is all tracked in this home of record. Amazing tool!

Tableau Desktop review by User in Retail
User in Retail

"Tableau is a great visualization tool but hard to learn"

What do you like best?

Tableau is a fun and useful tool to make presentations and visualizations of data that you cannot do with Microsoft Excel. It is especially good when you have to do reporting that is completed on an ongoing basis. There are many options to work with the data and the ability to work with geographic, SQL, sales, etc types of data.

What do you dislike?

Tableau is extremely hard to master and very often you have to learn by trial and error. Some functions are not intuitive at all and it is very slow to work on Tableau. Also, you generally have to format the data perfectly first on MS Excel or SQL to ensure that Tableau can work most efficiently. It is a data visualization tool, not a tool to parse through data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely use it if you are doing reporting. It is hard to learn but can be worth it. If it is easier analysis or one-off analysis, definitely stick to MS Excel.

It has allowed me to view trends and solve business questions that would otherwise take me longer to complete, visualization, and think about.

Tableau Desktop review by Zack S.
Zack S.

"Tableau Desktop is an Excellent Visualization Software"

What do you like best?

Tableau is great at creating many different kinds of visualizations, and gives you many more options to tweak the charts/graphs than Excel does.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve for beginners is fairly high. It can be confusing to get tables to show up the way that you want them to - requires a lot of trial and error.

We are trying to create visualizations that can be easily shared throughout the organization. We want dashboards that will easily be understood by those with all levels of analytical knowledge. By allowing everyone in the company to access dashboards, we have cut down on the analytics requests that take time away from the analytics team.

Tableau Desktop review by User in E-Learning
User in E-Learning

"Dynamic and user friendly way to analyze data and operationalize analyses"

What do you like best?

Tableau is powerful in cutting data many different ways. There are also a lot of built in calculation functions that enables calculations like "YoY, MoM, Percent difference, cumulative". These are things we would've need another layer of query or data processing otherwise. The visualization component is also great and intuitive to use.

What do you dislike?

Tableau can be a sluggish once we get into order of billions of records. There might be better ways or more efficient data processing best practices that we are not using, so I'm also keeping an open mind about that. It can also take a little bit to get used to pivoting data in Tableau and working with the labels and coloring display of it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Tableau is a great tool to help you visualize and dissect complicated data set. It can also easily connect with your data pipeline (we use SQL) to automate reports or KPI calculation. Your end users can then easily access the charts and dashboards via web link (may need Tableau server). If you have super large data sets (i.e., more than billions of records, you might want to consult with their support team on best practices around that.

We've used Tableau to dissect user level data which has tons of permutations and combinations of ways to do. Tableau really enables us to do those very quickly and extract insights. We've also been able to set up automated dashboards that updates KPIs on a daily basis. This saves a lot of time on our team and increases internal efficiency.

Tableau Desktop review by Aaron J.
Aaron J.

"View, investigate, and discover your data with ease"

What do you like best?

Tableau makes data analysis approachable to anyone. You can with ease and speed discover hidden stories, present your findings, and make your data discover able to others. With high quality and easy to read visuals what you discover can easily be understood.

Tableau is great for presenting in working meetings. Have an initial visual and then people can ask questions and when sharing the screen you can discover the answers together easily in the span of the meeting. Drag and drop simplicity.

Tableau also has an amazing support community. Company themselves are responsive, the user community is very active and approachable. There are TONS of training and learning opportunities both paid and free.

Tableau itself is extensible and hack-able. If it does not do what you need, you can likely make it do that. Tableau recently added several APIs to aid in web development and data extraction. You can use Python and R to extend the capability of the product. And with the ability to use it on Mac, Windows, and soon Linux, it will likely fit in any IT structure.

What do you dislike?

Tableau keep growing and expanding (a good thing) but still does not do everything. Not all that it can do is best in class. Tableau can do ETL, but I would not depend on it for ETL.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You get out what you put in. It is easy to get started, but there is SO much in there, I don't know anyone who knows it all to an expert degree. It is easy enough to pick up and be productive with minimal training, but pay attention to what you need and focus on that. Still don't be afraid to branch out and explore.

Tableau dramatically reduces development time, not only in the initial creation of the report/visual, but also in that is is so easy to use, when you deliver the report to your customers, they can ask and discover the answers to their own questions with the data, rather than having to request a new report.

Learning about Tableau Desktop?

* We monitor all Tableau Desktop reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.