TestComplete

TestComplete Platform has an open flexible architecture that makes creating, maintaining, and executing automated tests across desktop, web, mobile easy, speedy, and cost effective.

Work for TestComplete?

Learning about TestComplete?

TestComplete Reviews

Ask TestComplete a Question
Showing 54 TestComplete reviews
TestComplete review by Mike V.
Mike V.

"UI Automation tool that works as promised"

What do you like best?

Not everyone in our testteam has a developer background, so keywordtests in combination with scripts are the perfect solution for us. If needed, next to recording and updating tests, we used the possibility to write our own scripts.

We also like the dataloop and browserloop functionality, since most of our cases have a lot of possible combinations, which can be validated with UI tests.

The learning curve for Testcomplete is low, there is a quick result once the first basic tests are setup.

What do you dislike?

We've been struggling a bit with the integration with Visual Studio (TFS), but thanks to the help from the support team, these issues were solved correctly, if needed with patches.

Disadvantage of all UI automation is the fact that tests are "bound" to namemapping. Of course Namemapping is needed to identify objects correctly, but when working with grids, it is sometimes hard to identify the right cell in the right row. At this moment, we are not able to select or delete rows in a grid correctly, woraround is working with "sendkeys" to navigate through the grid.

Recommendations to others considering the product

In our evaluation of different products, we've noticed quickly that Testcomplete is a "readable" tool, as said : it is a tool that can be used by non-technical testers also. Price/Quality is ok.

And thumbs up for the support team, they really helped us out with the incidents we've logged.

We are using the desktop edition most of the time, only a few tests exist for our web applications, which form the minority of our applications to test. We mainly use Testcomplete for automated smoketests and regressions tests.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about TestComplete
TestComplete review by Joe G.
Joe G.

"TestComplete helps you get where you need to be"

What do you like best?

We are a small group, so when SmartBear hosts a free training webinar, we are all over it. It is the small, bonus added things like this that make TestComplete what it is. TestComplete makes it easy for those with programming knowledge to write scripting tests, but at the same time allows users with no programming knowledge to use the on-screen recording. TestComplete is one of the best automated testing options on the market today and versatile yet easy enough to use right out of the box.

What do you dislike?

Being a small group, learning the tool is not particularly easy. Watching the video tutorials and going through the practice exercises doesn't always carryover into the production side of things.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend TestComplete to anyone who is looking for automated testing. In my opinion, TestComplete is one of the best automated testing options on the market today and versatile yet easy enough to use right out of the box.

Trying to implement more and better testing practices in our company is what we are trying to solve with TestComplete.

What Test Automation solution do you use?

TestComplete review by James K.
James K.

"TestComplete: User for 8+ years"

What do you like best?

For what TestComplete can do, the ObjectSpy tool, keeping up with technology, cost, support, and the ease of use are a few on the many pluses to this test tool. I come across very few items that TestComplete cannot automate. And if blocked, the TtestComplete forum of users usually have a solution as well as the SmartBear Support team. TestComplete has been recently been improved and stabilized more for the testing community. I love the new functionality and changes presented as well as those I see in the request queue for future releases. The help documentation is fantastic as well.

What do you dislike?

I would like to see a way to get individual test logs from a group run. An optional to turn this on/off would be great. I have very few complaints to present here.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do your research, trial the tools, ask questions, review supported OS, browsers , tech. covered.

i.e.

MS Visual is a Dev. tool trying to be used as a testing tool. - high level of coding required

Scripting in TestComplete (which has a variety of chooses) is easier to learn and script out.

Other tools (open source or not) support, be kept updated, and costs are big issues of concern

I use TestComplete across many products that are architectured in different ways.

UI testing, service testing, and distributed testing with TeamCity.

Windows-bases and Browser based applications - TestComplete is great !

TestComplete review by Alex G.
Alex G.

"Test Complete - Easy to Use and Feature Rich"

What do you like best?

I love how you can screen capture to create scripts but then simply modify the commands that are created for these screen captures to customize your scripts. I love how easy it is to debug scripts that fail in the Keyword Test Log by matching the expected and Actual images, and by clicking on an error in the log and having it take you to the line in the script where the error occurred.

I also like how TestComplete organizes your scripts and makes it easy to run test suites of scripts. This has been in invaluable tool and reducing the amount of manual time I have to spend on regression testing and freeing up time to do new development testing.

What do you dislike?

So far, there isn't anything about Test Complete that I don't like. The handful of issues I've encountered have been quickly and effectively remedied by their knowledgeable support staff. The only real issue is that the free training sessions they provide could be a little more low level and detailed

Recommendations to others considering the product

We evaluated a lot of Automation software packages, but Test Complete is the one that made sense from the beginning. Each time we spoke to representatives from other automation companies, we kept going asking the same question. Is this as good as TestComplete? The answer was always a resounding 'No'

TestComplete was the standard we used to judge other Automation software, so it only made sense that this was the package we chose. Each day I use it, I'm reminded how we made the right choice.

I've been primarily focused on testing a POS using TestComplete and have been able to reduce the amount of time I have to run hands on regression testing. The automation tool is so robust that it even exposed a flaw in the amount of load the POS can handle.

TestComplete review by Heath H.
Heath H.

"Excellent tool with tremendous flexibility"

What do you like best?

TestComplete is well-organized and presented, and very accessible. It allows tests to be written in several languages and written as keyword tests which require no coding. The object repository is extremely flexible and powerful yet easy to use. Distributed testing is powerful and inexpensive to implement with the TestExecute add-on or use of CrossBrowserTesting add-on feature. Build or buy? My choice is buy when there's a tool like TestComplete available at a reasonable cost.

What do you dislike?

There are occasions when writing tests when TestComplete seems to lose it's "handle" on some objects and can't recognize them until TestComplete is restarted -- I haven't seen this when running tests, only occasionally during the development process. Also, the Python editor is very capable, but also rather slow, especially when trying to step through code while debugging.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get comfortable with the object repository. It is more powerful, flexible, and maintainable than coded object recognition. Also, spend the money for at least one floating license -- it will serve you well when trying to troubleshoot failing scripts on different environments.

Our cybersecurity product is very broad and very deep, employing a web application, a server application, and headless agents on each workstation. TestComplete allows us to test each of these from within the same tests including communication dependencies between the web app and server as well as the agent and server. With every build thru Jenkins, it runs through an automated smoke test to ensure basic functionality is still working. We also use full regression tests weekly, and more often nearing customer releases.

TestComplete review by Rawane M.
Rawane M.

"Reliable experience with TestComplete for more than 5 years."

What do you like best?

It is easy to learn TestComplete. The keyword scripts are there to help you start. Once you become more advanced you can develop smarter tests by writing code. There is an extensive documentation online, if you are still lost, SmartBear support is quick to resolve your issues. Equally important also is code reuse, we have created standalone libraries which we can reference in any new TestComplete project. Reliability is an important factor, with TestComplete running your tests again holds no surprises for you.

What do you dislike?

We sometimes encounter issues setting up a new environment on a new machine. We contact support when we can't resolve it on our own.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Create reusable libraries. Separate the code to map UI controls from the rest of your code, this way major UI changes will only affect a small portion of your code.

TestComplete solved the high-cost problem of regression testing! We have reduced regression time from days to hours. After using we discovered that adding new tests is quick and easy. Also, mapping interface objects by code will not break after interface changes, if written properly.

TestComplete review by Bernhard R.
Bernhard R.

"TestComplete is a must have tool"

What do you like best?

If you need to put something together fairly quickly TestComplete allows you to do that. Using the recording feature saves a ton of time. If you are looking to get more complex with your tests there are a lot of advanced features available.

The support is wonderful and the documentation that they have is insane (in a good way).

The reports generated are very helpful and it's great that I can implement TestComplete right into our workflow.

What do you dislike?

Wish there was the ability to see what objects I have created checks (assertions) for. Also, it would be great if there was somewhere on the support site with a list of scripts that have been made for different situations. More examples and scenarios would be nice as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Have a plan of what you want to do so the sales team and their engineers know if they will be a good fit. Also, ask a lot of questions!

One of the major problems we have is saving time when it comes to testing. Manual testing takes way too long and especially when it comes to doing a sanity test. TestComplete will allow us to run our automated sanity tests which will allow us to focus on newer features that were implemented and/or major bugs that were fixed. So, the benefit of using TestComplete is it will save you time and let you focus on other things.

TestComplete review by Subbu V.
Subbu V.

"Reliable test automation tool that works"

What do you like best?

We have been using TestComplete as our test automation tool for a number of years now. The tool has a good spread of features (not bundled up with everything that you possibly don't need) and has proven to be reliable in our environment. We only use the desktop module as most of our products-in-test are desktop or standalone applications so I really can't comment on the web and mobile modules. We also have found TestComplete to integrate well with other tools especially TFS and Jenkins which is a bonus for us - key enabler in our continuous integration process.

What do you dislike?

In terms of the product, not much - navigation and options could be better but this is a minor point. Object recognition is patchy at places but this is a general issue with all the test automation tools out there. One final thing - the pricing has been gradually going up over the last few years but I would prefer this not to be too high until we are priced out from renewing our licences!

We use TestComplete/TestExecute to develop test automation and also to run the tests automatically by integrating to our build process system. This gives us the advantage of continuous integration - identifying issues early and providing feedback to development team. We are also reducing the manual testing effort by having tests automated early in the development lifecycle - this frees up resources to work on other critical tasks/projects.

TestComplete review by Francisco S.
Francisco S.

"De los mejores softwares de automatización "

What do you like best?

TestComplete permite el acceso a todo el modelo de vista de los programas WPF, lo que permite que se hagan secuencias de comandos de pruebas complejas.

TestComplete tiene una característica llamada Object Spy, que hace que el scripting de nuevas pruebas sea bastante rápido, ya que los usuarios pueden ver rápidamente los nombres de los atributos de los elementos de las aplicaciones simplemente haciendo clic en partes de la interfaz de usuario de la aplicación.

What do you dislike?

El editor de texto de TestComplete es extremadamente lento para la depuración (especialmente para cargar variables locales, que pueden tardar minutos en cargarse para cada paso del proceso de depuración).

Durante el uso de TestComplete, encontramos que se colgaría regularmente durante las pruebas de funcionamiento, requiriendo un reinicio manual de la prueba.

La versión de JavaScript utilizada por TestComplete es más bien bare bones y podría ser mucho mejor con las características comunes en las bibliotecas modernas.

TestComplete parecía tener dificultades para trabajar con programas de WPF complejos, ya que nos pareció necesario realizar secuencias de comandos frecuentes y actualizaciones en nuestras pruebas automáticas con el fin de asegurarse de que TestComplete tenía una versión precisa del modelo de vista.

TestComplete es ideal para equipos pequeños que automatizan las pruebas de aplicaciones Web. Funciona mejor con pruebas que impliquen acciones sencillas. No funciona bien con aplicaciones y pruebas complejas de WPF que implican acciones de usuario más avanzadas como arrastrar y soltar o desplazarse. La dePuración de aplicaciones WPF en particular es un proceso lento y frustrante.

TestComplete review by Jesse H.
Jesse H.

"A lot of bang for your buck"

What do you like best?

Our QA team is not very versed in writing scripts, but TestComplete allows you to use keyword tests that are very robust unlike others that are click XY locations. We are able to seamlessly use the same keyword tests across multiple browsers, desktop, and mobile screens. We are able to test the UI and API at the same time (even without SoapUI integration). TestComplete is very easy to learn, and you can quickly get up and running and see results.

Also, the smartbear community is a fantastic resource to have when I come across issues or questions. Support has always been friendly, and always give detailed responses to help.

I was able to be a beta tester for the new OCR feature, and at first I was struggling with its use. But just like anything else I was able to reach out to the community and documentation and soon I was using it to help validate PDF's, which is something that was still a manual step. The other new feature that I personally liked was the ability to see items in name mapping that are not being used. When personally my biggest headache is managing that repository, the ability to confidently clean it up is a huge help and relief.

What do you dislike?

Name mapping is somewhat confusing. I have been using TestComplete for over 2 years and at times I still struggle with managing this correctly. I am not sure what the best practices are, and being able to see what others do would be amazing to see.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The cost alone for the amount of features you get is unlike anything we have trialed. Smartbear is a great company to work with, and they are always listening to the community for new features (that you can vote on).

We are testing desktop applications, web sites, and the connections in between. We have an enormous amount of regression test cases, so being able to automate those test cases saves us 40+ hours of testing each regression cycle. We are also able to complete smoke testing on some 1 off releases quickly and effortlessly.

TestComplete review by Eric S.
Eric S.

"New to TestComplete but I like what I see so far"

What do you like best?

I am still fairly new to using the software but from what I've seen so far I like how many different ways it will let you know if a test failed. I don't feel like I have to spend hours figuring out what is going wrong with my test. It will give me a screenshot and tell me what line in my code is causing the issues so it makes my work a lot easier and with being new, it makes it easier to concentrate on learning my job instead of spending too much time on blankly staring at my screen.

What do you dislike?

So far i don't have much to dislike. We do have occasional problems with getting an error message when opening TestComplete but who knows what could be causing that. It could be on our end or any number of problems.

We are able to use TestComplete to create several automated tests to greatly increase our testing efforts. This cuts down on the amount of time other departments have to spend testing when they could be doing other work. We have been able to cut hours and days of testing down to get software releases out in a timely manner

TestComplete review by Alex G.
Alex G.

"My loved automation tool"

What do you like best?

TestComplete its a perfect tool for automation. It allows you to develop automated tests for all kind of webs and a lot of applications. It have a user-friendly interface which allows you to work hours and hours. Also it supports now native Javascript. The object spy is the best point in my opinion because its quite fast and you can perform a direct search or a search when you press some special keys (usefull when you have dynamic elements on clicked items)

What do you dislike?

Maybe the pricing its a bad point because the licenses are quite expensive and the Source Control Management plugin. This plugin does not work correct at all when you have a lot of files because it tries to refresh all the elements when you perform a checkout and the applications maybe its frozen for 10-20 seconds.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to perform a good and stable automation tests, you need to use this application. Jenkins have plugins to launch this tests easily and you dont need to have a big knownledge on development bases in order to perform the tests scripts. You also con use the Script Recorder to perform all the actions easily and without a big effort. I really recommend it.

We used TestComplete to perform Front-End tests and some performance tests. The invested time at first its a lot because you need to create structures and elements but after that, its so easy to create Keywords and create a lot of automated tests without a high level of programming knownledge.

TestComplete review by CLAUDON G.
CLAUDON G.

"TestComplete - Powerful software and good user experience"

What do you like best?

The possibility to reference each graphical control by it's name using the "Object browser" tool is really interesting. Even if the control's size, color or the X Y coordinates change between versions of your target application, TestEcomplete find it every time and that makes my scripts very reliable.

The possibility to write your scripts in Keyword (for basic users) or in VBScripts for advanced users make this tool very powerful, anyone can create his script and become operational really fast whatever his knowledge. More you can use both Keyword and VBScripts methods in the same project !

What do you dislike?

If I should say something negative about TestComplete it's the fact that you cannot edit your KeyWord outside TestComplete. When you run a test through TestExecute, if you need to adjust something in your scripts, you can if you are using VBScript but if you need to adjust something in a KeyWord you have to use TestComplete. Both tools doesn't use the same kind of licenses and sometimes this is annoying for us.

Recommendations to others considering the product

TestComplete benefits ? simple, easy to use, and powerful !

This tool allowed us to automatize several time-consuming test cases. These tests cases are now launched at the end of the day, running during the night, and we review the result the day after, this is time saving for us.

Another benefit of TestComplete is the consistency and the regularity of the results. Indeed a test performed by tester several times can generate leads to different results. A tester can skip some steps, be deconcentrated, TestComplete is a guaranty that our tests are done following the same way every times

TestComplete review by Ed K.
Ed K.

"Great software testing package"

What do you like best?

Easy to get started with useful testing, but also scalable to more complex tests

What do you dislike?

Overall it does very well, but if I had to nitpick I'd like to see a more flexible results reporting and better control over error levels (error vs. warning) for some of the internal functions

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do your homework and evaluate other products as well, but it's worth figuring in the availability of training (TestComplete has free training available as well as more in depth training) and the quality of tech support (user community and tech response). We evaluated and demo'd RobotFramework (cheap, but poorly supported and in the end just didn't work for us) SilkTest (just didn't compare favorably to TestComplete) and reviewed a host of other options.

We've been using TestComplete heavily for the last 3 years. Since that time we've been catching defects earlier in the release cycle, releasing quicker and the number of defects found post-release has dramatically dropped.

TestComplete review by Administrator

"Review of Test Complete in our test environment"

What do you like best?

We like the intuitive GUI, flexibility of working with many different windows applications and the use of checkpoints as a basis of test verification.

What do you dislike?

We find it difficult when running our test suite to know the current status of the test run. Our test suite takes about 20 hours to complete, and we often need to know where in the test run we are, and during run time this isn't possible to determine.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a windows based automation software tool, we benchmarked TC against soem others and found it to be the best bang for our buck and quickest to implement.

We have ported over thousands of manual regression tests to be automated with Test Complete and has freed up test engineers to work on other tasks while Test Complete does the work for us. We analyze the runs afterwards and run automated tests that failed individually as needed, but the time and resource savings has been invaluable to my test team.

TestComplete review by John S.
John S.

"Test Complete is Easy to Dive into"

What do you like best?

Its easy to use and set up for even non technical people. One user can write the scripts and set up the program to do a number of things, and then those same scripts can be used by a non technical person for use with TestExecute, the execution program they have for VMs and PCs that aren't on the main TestComplete computer. Using a combination of TestComplete and TestExecute, you can have a large number of machines or VMs running tests simultaneously saving hundreds of man hours a month.

You can also have someone with no coding experience come in and create keyword tests with very little training or knowledge, this is useful for people who are new to the field, or who just need to automate some test or project on the fly.

They also have monthly and quarterly training sessions free of cost that users can sign up for, something that a lot of other companies don't do.

What do you dislike?

I still have trouble mapping dynamically named objects, particularly with web testing. You can use some workarounds to accomplish your goals, and this does not hamper the final product too much.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They have some of the best support I have ever worked with for a product. 10/10 Team.

Managed to turn an 8 month project into a 2 week 1 man project with just a few days of scripting.

Able to accomplish a lot more work though automated tasks

Able to complete both agile and waterfall goals in a timely fashion

"TestComplete is amazing"

What do you like best?

Test Complete is easy to use. The record function to create the keyword tests is easy to use and understand making it easy to make changes. Once you've gotten used to the keyword tests, you can slowly move to scripting that provides a little bit more flexibility. I like that it provides different scripting languages which minimizes the learning curve for scripting. It also integrates well with other tools.

What do you dislike?

So far, I have nothing that I dislike about TestComplete. It has met all the needs that we have when it comes to test automation

We are working on automating tests for all of out in-house software and it has increased the number of tests that we can run. We have automated old tests but still manually perform new tests which are then eventually converted to automated tests.

TestComplete review by Jonathan D.
Jonathan D.

"A well developed and smooth product tool."

What do you like best?

TestComplete offers a great way to test your software for bugs. It's very smooth, quick, and efficient. When using it you save a lot of time! What could have taken 3 hours to find could take you 3 minutes. Definetly a game changer to testers.

What do you dislike?

There really isn't much to dislike about it. Apart from the occasional bug that you run into on the program, nothing really stands out as something that should be changed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it! You will save A TON of time and your work will be a lot more efficient.

We use it to find bugs in our software through constant testing. It finds them a lot faster than if we were to manually look.

TestComplete review by Consultant

"User centric test automation framework"

What do you like best?

Test complete is easy to use and comes with lots of feature. The documentation is well maintained and it is the best easy to use tool for the oracle form testing that I have used. The data driven testing part through the different options gives us the flexibility from switching between different modes of external input.

What do you dislike?

Not able to have a dynamic database checkpoint. One use case suggests us to have a dynamic database checkpoint by forming the sql statement at the run time based on certain conditions during the functional testing. But we are not able to do so.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very easy to use test automation tool that comes with lot of power pack features. Comes with a wide variety of testing methods. Users with no or little coding background can also use.

Database testing and Oracle form testing. Easy to use for oracle form testing through keyword test. Database testing is also easy to script except the checkpoint. After a small work around able to test that properly. Easy to use data driven testing.

"Test Complete Review"

What do you like best?

The flexibility of TestComplete is what makes the application so useful in my opinion. You can use TestComplete to run tests on multiple applications all at the same time, it's exactly like running a manual test yourself, except you can automate that test.

What do you dislike?

There is a ton of information to take in when you first start using the application. But, like most things if you dig in and keep at it, eventually you will learn most of the functions and features and you just keep building on top of that knowledge.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Would highly recommed for the use of testing applications or for ease of manually testing several applications at once automatically.

We are able to test applications that our company is developing and TestComplete allows us to easily find bugs as if we were manually testing the application our self, but because everything is automated it takes not time to boot up a test and run it.

TestComplete review by Mehdi S.
Mehdi S.

"TestComplete - QTP alternative for the cash strapped"

What do you like best?

Flexibility of being able to use multiple scripting languages.

Record and replay work great.

Writing tests from scratch is fairly easy.

Works with Desktop applications

What do you dislike?

We've encountered issues when multiple people use a single floating license with work not being saved and there being discrepancies in common files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its cheaper than QTP but SmartBear's support is really not that good, so if you think you have a situation where you will need a lot of support then go with QTP or something similar. If you are testing a web based applciation and you have good coders don't bother spending money and just go with Selenium or one of the open-source tools. You only really need either QTP or TestComplete if you are testing a desktop app.

We're automating regression testing for a Delphi-based TV Station Management software. The Desktop application testing options are pretty limited.

TestComplete review by User

"A quick and effective program"

What do you like best?

It's really easy to use! It doesn't require a lot of studying to understand how to use TestComplete. The program is very effective when testing applications and helps uncover any bugs in the system.

What do you dislike?

There really isn't much to dislike when using TestComplete. On occasions I encounter little obstacles but they tend to be solved pretty quickly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it! It will save your company a lot of money and time!

We are currently using TestComplete to uncover bugs in our system. Instead of us looking for the bug over and over again, we run the program and it finds it for us. It definitely save us a lot of time.

TestComplete review by User in Environmental Services
User in Environmental Services

"my experience with TC"

What do you like best?

If you have all the modules there is nothing you can automate for testing, from WebUI to DesktopUI and Mobile . There is the posibility to share a license, with floating licensing. Also what is very useful for beginner is the Recording option which help you in creating your initial testcases.

What do you dislike?

I do not like the reporting, since it cannot create one single report file which can be send via email to the team. Also, when using the recording function, it records all actions over and over again, and there is no posibility of reusing the actions you already recorded. So if you have a change in the software in the login page you are testing, and you recorded 10 testcases who are going through the login, you need to change it in each step.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is the best solution for all your test automation needs. Even if it's expensive to buy all modules, it's worth it, since it's easy to use and will definitely help you when doing regression.

Sonce TC is a functional automated testing platform, we are able to use it in automating our manual test steps. At the begining you do not have to know any scripting language in order to use it. But in the long run, there is always the posibility to switch to scripted testcases which are more easy to use and edit, than the recorded ones.

TestComplete review by Ben S.
Ben S.

"I have used TestComplete for automated testing for 7 years"

What do you like best?

TestComplete is a feature rich automation system. There are very few automation tasks is cannot do. I have automated 4 major automation projects on complex enterprise software products. My current project is > 190,000 lines of VBScript code. UI automation is easy with TestComplete. There are highly advanced APIs for image recognition that have been very helpful when objects are difficult to automate (Gantt charts). The Object repository (called NameMapping) is very useful for centralizing object definitions and providing simplified maintenance. TestComplete also offers a feature in Namemapping called Aliases with can be used to greatly simplify object references on complex objects.

What do you dislike?

Since I have some experience with QTP one feature missing from TestComplete is the ability to jump into debug mode when an exception occurs in the development UI. QTP has this feature. Another difference from QTP is that the TestComplete Object Repository is ONLY global and centralized and with QTP you can create multiple non-centralized Object repositories as well as have a global OR.

Support is great for TestComplete, but the experts are off shore so sometimes getting to the right person when seeking assistance can take some extra time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get the trial of TestComplete (www.smartbear.com) and try it with the product you need to automate. Smartbear usually gives great pre-sales support to enable you to get familiarized and validate TestComplete will work for your application or website testing.

We are creating full Sanity and Regression suites for Enterprise level products using TestComplete UI automation. We also have developed an interface to SoapUI from TestComplete that allows us to realtime call SoapUI tests and get results back immediately. Our SoapUI APIs are both Soap and REST (JMS) calls using Hermes JMS.

Our test suites are executed in a Continuous Integration system (Jenkins) on a daily basis providing constant feedback to development and stakeholders on the state of the applications.

TestComplete review by Josue F.
Josue F.

"great automation tool"

What do you like best?

I like that I can automate most, if not all, of my tests with this tool. It saves a lot of time which can be then used to fix bugs.

What do you dislike?

The only issue I have ran into is that sometimes Test Complete would crash, but it is only once in a while.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great support team!

Able to automate most/all of our testing.

TestComplete review by Samantha H.
Samantha H.

"Automated testing made easy"

What do you like best?

Simple user interface with extensive functionalities for testing GUIs. The software is easy to learn to use and there are a lot of online resources available as well as technical support from SmartBear.

What do you dislike?

TestComplete uses a lot of memory when it is running so sometimes causes errors with CPU usage.

Recommendations to others considering the product

TestComplete is an amazing resource for someone who is not an expert coder looking to implement automated testing.

We automated our software testing to cut down test time dramatically and allow us to identify more bugs in a quicker timeframe.

Internal Consultant

"Exceptional tool for creating automated tests for mobile devices"

What do you like best?

The UI is very easy to use and lends itself to relatively quick set up for test cases and creation of logic flows for Android mobile devices. Technical support through my account representative has been excellent.

What do you dislike?

The documentation for how to use and set up various screen capture and screen or object verification is not as clear or concise as I would like. Technical support through my account represenative has been exceptional and helps resolve the issues that I have encountered.

The issues with signing apks and ipas is a challenge that I would like for R&D to resolve.

I am currently testing an Android app and it has been extremely beneficial in finding issues with the app. Reducing the human error in testing mobile device apps is the main focus of my automation.

TestComplete review by Sherry M.
Sherry M.

"It's a well rounded product that has some nice functions available to the user."

What do you like best?

The application does all the heavy lifting for you. When you need to access a process outside of your aut, the application has it readily available for utilization. The object spy is incredibly utile for finding each object's properties and methods.

What do you dislike?

The NameMapper uses more memory than it should so we completely removed that capability from our shop. Also, the memory leak that's been prevalent in the program for years causes other headaches; however, we do other tricks of the trade to get around the majority of the leak issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Stay away from the record and play as it will become a maintenance nightmare. Set up a framework, such as DDT, which utilizes small functions to accomplish all of the needed tasks. Ensure to shutdown TC between each project run to minimize memory usage. Utilize smart waits instead of hard waits to economize on script run times. Other than that, just enjoy the convenience of all the built in objects.

We are using TestComplete/TestExecute to automate tests so more tests can be run without human intervention.

TestComplete review by Ti B.
Ti B.

"Powerful but quick"

What do you like best?

TC has truly elite features that are made easy to use in their app.

What do you dislike?

When the object recognition fails to identify an object that is visible on the screen, it would be nice to easily view the list of all the visible objects to try to discern any ambiguities or otherwise missed name mappings.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This isn't just some screen/mouse/keyboard input recorder, it's capable of analyzing your runtime ui and empowering you to reproduce its behavior - reliably & robustly.

I am solving our business' need for having to routinely validate certain scenarios.

TestComplete review by Consultant

"Evaluating TestComplete before trying... looking good"

What do you like best?

Good GUI .

Good Hierarchical way of how projects are stored can have both scripted and keyword tests.

Easy to edit scripts to stream line for better performance.

Easy to use variable and set data read from files, e.g. Excel, ,csv, database table

What do you dislike?

Need to see how to handle problems when objects cannot be found.

High Memory usage Memory handling, would like to see a way to minimise the use of memory

Recommendations to others considering the product

A POC should be used.

Use both jKeyowrd tests and Cripted tests to decide what is best and what is needed

Start Small and and grow your project.

Use more than one user, in more than one site

Need to have a full automation suite for all functional areas of our application

TestComplete review by User

"We built automated tests from scratch"

What do you like best?

I don't think that there is fields in which TestComplete don't have functionnalities.

Data driven tests, the "object spy" that reads most object's properties and methods, a great community...

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the software bugs, but there is a reactive customer support.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You may discover the trial version...

We are building several management and accounting softwares.

We started from scratch with automated testing.

Currently, the night, it's hundreds of tests that run.

We have immediate outcomes : most of the time bugs are caught before the version goes in manual tests.

TestComplete review by David R.
David R.

"SmartBear TestComplete review"

What do you like best?

It is easy to create jscript tests from the TestComplete interface. Also, the object model automatically created by TestComplete makes it easy to view the available objects in the applications under test. I've also used to feature that allows me to view contents of objects when the test is paused, which has helped debug my testing process.

What do you dislike?

I have not been able to master a technique for identifying dynamically named objects. For instance, in one case a particular may have the word 'mainview1' embedded in the full object name and in another instance, the same object may have the word 'mainview2' embedded in the full object name.

We use TestComplete to automate our regression test for a large medical software application. Manually testing the application takes approximately 2 days, while automated tests take a few hours.

TestComplete review by User

"Long time user of test complete"

What do you like best?

The tool gives me the ability to quickly create dependable tests for regression testing our windows application. The object browser allows me to view all kinds of properties of and object so that I can write specific scripts to manipulate those properties.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes a project suite is very slow to load when it contains a script with several lines of code.

We started using the software when we went to a scrum environment. We can now deliver a dependable application every 2 weeks due to the fact that we run 8 hours worth of tests on 50 machines after every build of our software. If something gets broken we can react very quickly and therefore it is not as costly to fix.

TestComplete review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"outstanding software"

What do you like best?

I like how easy and flexible the software is. It is very adaptive. The ability to add folders and structure test projects is fantastic.

What do you dislike?

I do believe there is somewhat of a steep learning curve to really grasp the application's features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Join the community and share your experiences using TestComplete with others.

Reduces time that was originally set aside for manual testing at my place of work. Helps identify bugs before code is deployed.

TestComplete review by Ana A.
Ana A.

"I work for a year with testcomplete and I use keyword tests and also I'm creating Scripts."

What do you like best?

I like that Testcomplete is quite compact, with any thing you need is easily available immediately.I like the fact that when you use scripts,you do not have to manually write code for each and every detail, for example: click on the button, we can run script, press the button and it will generate the code.And, also like the fact that we have a wide choice of script language, depending on which language we feel comfortable.Also Testcomplete has a good documentation, we can be able to find the answer to almost any question.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fact that browsers often have problems, for example: 2 days down the test worked,but,today,without change, I get the error : the browser can not be found. The testing in the flash also is troubled, you must install specially Flashinjector, also link up manually .swf files. Also when you execute tests, if you have one browser and two tabs, and you want to work with second tab,it is problem,sometimes Testcomplete can't understand that you are working with second tab,you must close first tab and after this you can work with second tab.

Recommendations to others considering the product

TestComplete Platform acts as a backbone for TestComplete Desktop, Web, and Mobile. For using either TestComplete Desktop, Mobile, or Web. Also, it is easy for Cross-Browser Testing.

Using Testcomplete we solved the problems that we have when we are updated old projects, sometimes we had problems, because updates causes Bugs, and when Project is big, find Bug and recheck everything is difficult. When automated tests checks this, you can easily find bug.Log helps us to find where is the bug.

TestComplete review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer

"Great for the Novice"

What do you like best?

It was great that you are able to ask your questions and get them answered within the session.

What do you dislike?

It feels so short of a session even though it is an hour.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do the trial and have a live presentation.

The speed in which i can run my tests is improved greatly and being able to run the test seamlessly from one browser to the next is great. Even though i am still just getting to know how to use TestComplete it shows me that there is greater range and possibilities in my testing.

Internal Consultant

"TestComplete at Grifols Co."

What do you like best?

The ability to create TCX library files and shared it across multiple pcs

What do you dislike?

some complexity creating object maps. Production Support use email but always getting an email error when reply on the same topic. I'm frustrated and have to submit a new ticket to follow on an existing case.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Focus first on you application object mapping.

Select a test framework (script language, format, utilities) to be use consistently.

Develop automated process to evaluate core functionality while deploying new application versions.

Benefits: output consistency as long there is no object map changes.

TestComplete review by Hoang N.
Hoang N.

"Complex to setup but very powerfull"

What do you like best?

many custom test options, can be manage remotely

What do you dislike?

complex to setup, require internet in order to activate

automation testing

TestComplete review by stefanie m.
stefanie m.

"Great product "

What do you like best?

I like the fact that it was easy to use. It wasn't too complicated and with the trail, you get all the feature so there is no guesswork when you get the actual product.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that I cant export script out of testComplete

Fast automation testing

TestComplete review by Tony D.
Tony D.

"I have been using TestComplete for approximately 3 years"

What do you like best?

I am yet to find any situation where I have been unable to automate tests. I find it reliable and robust. I have been working in test automation for nearly 10 years and used a variety of tools, all of the them more expensive that TestComplete - and I don't find TestComplete lacking compared to these tools.

What do you dislike?

I guess one draw back is that TestComplete is a paid for product as compared to the likes of Selenium. However, I think it is quite possible that the cost of ownership of TestComplete is comparable to Selenium due to increased productivity and support. One slight issue I have with TestComplete is that it runs only on Windows machines, so testing cross platform is a slight issue, though it is possible to run tests that emulate iPads and so on.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a good choice with a growing user base - I recommend it. You will need testers who are happy to write code - as is the case with any automation effort.

I have been testing web applications. I use TestComplete to write and run cross browser regression tests. The benefits have been shorter test cycles in agile environments. Other benefits have been freeing up manual testers time so they can conduct more advanced exploratory testing.

TestComplete review by User

"test complete is a staple at our business"

What do you like best?

test complete works well for our windows based software. it has several types of checkpoints that allow us to confirm our software's behavior

What do you dislike?

test complete is somewhat heavy on the ram usage, be sure the machines you use have plenty

Recommendations to others considering the product

great for testing windows applications

test complete has caught several bugs before they get out. the most common is the 'off topic' bug. we fix something and test it, call it good without realizing it broke something seemingly unrelated.

TestComplete review by User

"This QA software does it all."

What do you like best?

It was easy to learn. The training videos were invaluable.

What do you dislike?

I honestly don't dislike anything. The software is excellent and the Customer Support is very attentive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We looked at several other companies, got demos, and spent weeks gathering information before we committed to Smart Bear. We're very happy that we did!

We've been able to automate tests that would otherwise be repetitive and time-consuming, which frees up the QA staff to tackle other issues.

TestComplete review by Internal Consultant in Computer Software
Internal Consultant in Computer Software

"Testcomple"

What do you like best?

--very easy to start with automated test

--lot of relevant example and documentation at smartbear

site itself and other sites

--a lot of options to build upon and make much more

complicated testing

What do you dislike?

--nothing too much something to dislike with

--but it will be always good to have more

examples like complete examples

--not much clear documentation with clear

examples showing the connection between

the test itself, object browser and the aliases

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend testcomplete

we have a warehouse management software

--we primarily started with GUI testing and functional testing

--we will do much more on other types of testing

having doing more testing done by this automated testing,

we really would like to focus more on turning our attention

to improving the performance of the features, more on load

testing and may be some security issues

TestComplete review by Lisa C.
Lisa C.

"Extjs comparable "

What do you like best?

The user has a choice of writing scripts, keyword test or record and playback. TestComplete also offers multiple languages with which to write scripts. Data driven test are a breeze as well as distributed testing. The help file as well as customer support is just a click away. I would highly recommend this tool!

What do you dislike?

Namemspping can get a little complicated and record and playback sometimes causes multiple mappings of the same object .

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try the trial version with your application, use the how to videos.

We use extjs and most tools would not recognize the objects, this tool does.

TestComplete review by Alexey A.
Alexey A.

"Automation tool from pastcentury"

What do you like best?

Variety of languages you can implement your test

Ability to create very sophisticated framework

Win32 api support

What do you dislike?

Interface from past century, very difficult for new joiners

We automate testing of Swing Java Gui application.

TestComplete review by User in Information Technology and Services

"TestComplete"

What do you like best?

Project structure similar to Eclipse is very user friendly when compared to HP QTP/UFT. Having all script/ libraries in a single project helps in maintainence.

What do you dislike?

Name mapping needs improvement when compared to object repository in QTP/UFT. Need to be more user friendly.

A shared object repository would be more helpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Surely a best product and good alternative to UFT, which is more expensive in gettign the license.

Automation of scripts using Testcomplete helped us save several manual hours every release.

TestComplete review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Hospitality
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Hospitality

"Slow but works "

What do you like best?

Automation testing for a web applications and mobile application are often done through this app. We are even able to test user input and error messaging.

What do you dislike?

Not many options for log export making it hard to use

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a small business, try it

We’re testing app and web applications in terms of being the vendor

TestComplete review by Greg S.
Greg S.

"Test complete "

What do you like best?

It is easy to learn and get going. Licensing is easy to setup.

What do you dislike?

Customer service, the seemed unwilling to help resolve an issue.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It works

Automation on our test cases.

Internal Consultant

"Test Complete Help us to increase the Test Coverage"

What do you like best?

We have tried to use new OCR feature to test charts.

What do you dislike?

Namemapping is needed to identify objects correctly, but when working with win from objects, it is sometimes hard to identify.

We are automating desktop application and application has may charts.By using OCR feature,Now we can verify charts.

TestComplete review by Shivakumar G.
Shivakumar G.

"TestComplete Review_Shivakumar"

What do you like best?

Various programming language options that makes the programmer to deal with different project requirements;

What do you dislike?

i don't really dislike, but they can improve on record and play option.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep up the good work!

Automated Testing for various client projects

Learning about TestComplete?

* We monitor all TestComplete reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.