TestRail

TestRail helps you manage and track your software testing efforts and organize your QA department. Its intuitive web-based user interface makes it easy to create test cases, manage test runs and coordinate your entire testing process.

Work for TestRail?

Learning about TestRail?

TestRail Reviews

Ask TestRail a Question
Showing 36 TestRail reviews
TestRail review by Richard B.
Richard B.

"Excellent Test Management Tool. "

What do you like best?

This product is very intuitive and easy to use. The things that I like the most are the ability to maintain history and versions of the test cases. The system maintains a comprehensive history so you can go back a review previous test runs. Additionally, there is excellent version control, so when you change your test cases, you can see the version of the test case that was used for a particular test run.

What do you dislike?

The product works well as a standalone product. However, it does not integrate with HP's LoadRunner or UFT products. You can import results from those products, but you cannot integrate them directly with the application. Because our company is moving towards automated regression testing, it will be necessary for Test Rail to improve their integration with 3rd part automation tools.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try. They offer a good trial period with no restrictions. The product is constantly being updated and improved.

TestRail provides us with a comprehensive test management tool for tracking our manual regression testing. The team has a central application to work in. The reporting and dashboards are much more convenient that having to use excel spreadsheets and keeping track of testing metrics by hand.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about TestRail
TestRail review by User in Computer Software

"Great Test Case Management Tool"

What do you like best?

It is really easy to create test cases and organize them effortlessly. Their visual data representation is also great. TestRails is easier to set up for manual testing but is ok for automation as well, We are currently using ruby for our automation.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much that I don't like about TestRails. I guess its a little hard to have external people check out test cases and results. But that is easily remedied by creating a guest log in. Its a little harder to set up for automation as well, but there are some plug ins that seem to work ok.

Recommendations to others considering the product

TestRails is super easy to set up and great for fast test case creation, review and execution.

Test Case creation, organization and execution. TestRails is a quick solution to rapid test case creation and overall organization of test structure. It also works great for having several sprint teams who all need their own test cases.

What Software Testing solution do you use?

TestRail review by Allison N.
Allison N.

"I mainly use scheduling test plans"

What do you like best?

Reporting and the capability to approximate screening enables you to collect more info easily.This test software application had a response and function for each concern I had. Great for keeping track what action passed and exactly what stopped working. Making certain whatever is tape-recorded for future recommendation.

What do you dislike?

I have a concern with the quantity of readily available reports. To be trothful I do not have any significant grievance with the item. Little inconveniences my be clean-up after trial runs.

We track all our test cases using this software and have detailed suites for the websites and our mobile app.

TestRail review by Mariya S.
Mariya S.

"TestRail Review "

What do you like best?

It's a great tool to keep track of test cases, who created them, who modified. Great for keeping track what step passed and what failed. Making sure everything is recorded for future reference.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that the when creating a test case it doesn't get saved automatically, just in case the browser crashes, or even test rail crashes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Yes I would recommend, great to keep track of test-cases. Past History of individual test cases.

I am having issues with it, I am not sure what is causing it BUT its might be related to use of special characters OR long test case (currently 107 steps) OR with a long test case the history gets to large, a lot of updates (all updates are saved in the history)

So the issue is happening when you either edit the test case and it messes the format/ bunch of errors <--every time new once / Impossible to save edited changes

OR when I view the history, it doesn't display right <-- format messed up, errors all over

I had to work on that specific test case edit it a lot due to changes, update, view history. Similar issue has occurred in other cases as well.

Browsers: Chrome, IE , FireFox

email me at masha.syera@gmail.com if you need screenshpts

TestRail review by Imran H.
Imran H.

"great for test case management for large teams"

What do you like best?

TestRail provides fine grained access control which allows to edit pre-installed roles, add custom roles and combine users into groups. Each role allows to set permissions for configurations, milestones, test-cases, attachments, test runs, test-results and reports

Pros

Automatic updates

as soon as they're available

Unlimited support

High-performance

systems tuned for TestRail

Elastic licensing

to grow and shrink ad-hoc

Automatic backups

handled for us

Export re-usable database files at any time

Migrate to a self-hosted instance at any time

High availability

, won't break if the VPN does

What do you dislike?

how does it integrate with JIRA?

i dont like the pure simple css and also the fact the graphs are outdated.

Recommendations to others considering the product

please use its evaluation before heading out buying it . it has lot of intricacies involved so check with your agile system whatever you are using prior to buying this from gurock.

Usage tips & tricks

TestRail contains many useful features and tricks for power users.

One page element you can find on most pages in TestRail's user interface is the toolbar. The toolbar provides useful functionality and options for the current page. For example, importing and exporting test cases is done through the toolbar on a test suite page. Other useful things you can do from the toolbar include printing reports or jumping to related pages.

You can integrate TestRail with issue and bug trackers as well as requirement management tools. TestRail offers several integration points and can be configured to push and lookup issues directly from TestRail's user interface and much mor

a lot of manual testing and regression for qe team is accessified now.

TestRail review by Anastasia S.
Anastasia S.

"Very intuitive, UI appealing, customizable. "

What do you like best?

- project customizable. Meaning if we have 20 project, and not for all of them we need to use TestRail we can Test Rail only for the ones we need to. Paying for the number we are actually using, what I cannot say about other QA management tools.

- UI: very intuitive and easy to digest. I did not have to watch tutorials how to use the tool, everything was clear without that.

- JIRA integration!!! We are doing scrum in our company, so QA are writing documentation upon user stories. You can ope user story and see what test cases are applicable to this user story and test results.

- ability to log bug right from the test rail. NO need to open JIRA for that.

- ability to see the current status of the JIra ticket.

- easiness of creating test cases, test runs, maintenance of them.

- wide variety of options to customize your testing documentation and reports. Columns, descriptions of them, titles. length, filtering - everything you can change and adjust to your needs.

- very responsive and problem solving oriented customer service. Reply the same day, and don't drop you off until th

What do you dislike?

- Dislike the length of the text field for the test cases on the Dashboard. For some of the projects (banking or medical) test cases can be really long. But with the new feature - to have test case open in side view I guess this problem will not as bad anymore.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You have to play around with reports options to figure out which one works the best for you.

We did not have any test management tool before at all, only have been using Excel sheets. Due to the security problems we were not able to share it via google spreadsheets. So we did lack the synchronizing of testing procedure, especially between offshore teams.

We have tried Zephyr, Tarantula and test rail free trials and decided that test Rail works the best for ourcompany.

TestRail review by Administrator in Medical Devices
Administrator in Medical Devices

"Testrail review"

What do you like best?

This is a web based application that can be easily accessible online from any device. This application provides many predefined quality metrics that can be used for my statistics reports. It allows to customize dashboard and all attributes: test cases, test runs, test reports.

What do you dislike?

I would like to store my test cases in the way I want, but TestRail only store them in Test suite structure. Also Project customizing page is not user friendly. It took me a while to figure out hos to add my own test case template.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend this application.

I am storing all test cases in the TestRail and control execution of the test runs. I can plan accordingly and deliver the milestone on schedule. Also I am creating multiple custom quality reports to be able to release a good quality product to customers.

TestRail review by Shayne V.
Shayne V.

"TestRail Review"

What do you like best?

TestRail makes it very easy for estimating QA effort in our sprints. It also very useful for organizing test efforts on the fly once you have created and organized your test suites. We have moved over to JIRA for defect tracking and organizing our sprints so the JIRA plugin for TestRail is working out great so far. The ability to create test cases off of user stories is quite useful.

What do you dislike?

There isn't really anything to dislike about the tool from a QA standpoint and nothing really comes to mind. If anything it would be something nitpicky here and there.

Recommendations to others considering the product

TestRail makes it very easy for QA to organize their test efforts. Additionally, management can see the progress and easily digest the QA effort involved in the process. This tool is ideal for an Agile work environment. If your organization works with JIRA, then the JIRA plugin for TestRail improves the experience further. The plugin gives you the ability to link and create issues, view related test results tied to User Stories or Defects, and integrate testing reports with JIRA and/or Confluence.

As stated in "What do you like best?", this has really helped QA organize test efforts in sprint. Whenever we are hit with surprise priority test efforts the tool allows us to organize a test plan quickly and efficiently. We also implemented the JIRA plugin recently which improves the experience even more.

TestRail review by Mariellen P.
Mariellen P.

"Newforma - Testrail use in Agile Environment"

What do you like best?

Plug-in to Jira, Confluence, etc. I like the idea that I can open Jira and have test cases, requirements, etc all from one page (latest 5.0). They truly understand the agile world we live in and created Testrail to work with jira, etc. We were able to use the API for automation and get/write test case status information. We are very pleased with the application and have found little or no problems implementing into our current agile methodologies. Their newsletters are very informative and their support team goes above and beyond normal practices to support their users. The key to their success is that they listened to what the users wanted and implemented most (working on requests all the time) to make this a friendly product to use.

What do you dislike?

Some minor things. For example, bulk edit. You can't preserve the data and "add to it". That is on their backlog. Instead of writing custom scripts to disable/enable features, they did allow you to set these by the Admin console. You can still update the UI with these scripts which makes it a personalized app for your organization.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it the way it was designed to be used. The latest version ties in Jira, Confluence, InVision, etc. Developers, Support, etc can look at one dashboard and see all the information they need to determine test coverage, code coverage, etc.

Each jira story is tied to a test case. Each test case is linked to documentation. Then, you can automate based on your stories on the Jira board and know you have full coverage and traceability.

TestRail review by Jeremy F.
Jeremy F.

"TestRail for test cases with integration to JIRA work items"

What do you like best?

TestRail and JIRA integration allows me to link work items back to test cases and view in both systems.

What do you dislike?

You have to be logged into TestRail to see results in JIRA and not all stakeholders have licenses to TestRail so they are unable to view the test results.

Our test cases used to be stored in excel and this allows for better sharing across the quality assurance organization. Not to mention it is far superior to excel!

TestRail review by Teri S.
Teri S.

"TestRail - Affordable Test Management Tool That Adds Improvements Regularly"

What do you like best?

I am experienced in a number of test management tools including HP ALM/Quality Center, IBM's Rational ClearQuest, SmartBear's QA Complete, among others.

I am now one of the owners of a small professional services group, and I have management responsibilities over several areas, QA being one of those. I chose TestRail as our company's test management tool based two main things:

1) TestRail is extremely customizable.

2) The subscription price is very affordable.

The ability to customize TestRail makes this tool easy to use. I was able to fit this tool to our development culture and environment. This ensures that QA will use the tool and that working with the tool is affordable in time and resources. TestRail's user experience is excellent. Gurock releases regular updates to the tool; always with improvements and added features.

The license per user is a fraction of what the big name tools are asking. QA analysts are comfortable with TestRail. I've seen QA teams avoid using the big name tools because they felt overwhelmed by the tool. The comfort level the users experience, ensures that the tools is truly earning it's keep.

Administering TestRail is also quite simple. Activating and deactivating users is fast and easy. I find test rail extremely flexible.

Each test case execution can be access by a URL. We are able to look at the test run history and view the steps and the test run results history. This gives us a quick view to ensure that the test case was executed in each appropriate phase of the SDLC. We are also able to tie the test run back to our bug tracker using the URL.

Screenshots can be added to each step in a test, shortening the learning curve for new testers, as well as providing the developers useful references.

A set of templated reports are available and can be customized. Reports can be set to email automatically at defined time frames.

The user must learn to use Markdown in the editor. This is a bit manual, but Gurock provides plenty of editor formatting documentation, so the users don't have an issue with using it.

I am impressed with TestRail's documentation set and software support. I have only had to contact support one time and the response was fast and helpful.

After working with the larger tools over the years, I would say that I would pick TestRail over them and not just because of the price. Since adopting TestRail as our test management tool, I have seen it evolve and improve with each update. I think this tool is completely on track. I'm always interested in seeing what their next update brings.

What do you dislike?

The one thing that I would like to see in TestRail is a standard report that will list each test case, with steps for a specific project, or milestone. This type of report would make it much easier to provide user acceptance tests to clients and responses to any auditing queries.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When evaluating this tool, I would advise users to know that what you see is just the start of what you will get. The TestRail I use today is much improved over the one I started with. This tool is constantly evolving.

There are some aspects that are a bit more manual than I would like, but over all, the tool is excellent and the ROI is almost instantaneous. I couldn't say

We are able to ensure that regression tests are standardized and executed prior to sending builds to our customers.

We are able to track bugs and observe defect trends early on and resolve issues in early stages, when the fix is much more cost effective.

Our company benefits by providing a higher quality build than would otherwise exist. Our customers have a greater confidence in our applications. I believe that this plays a part in our company experiencing repeat business from our customers.

TestRail review by Chelsea O.
Chelsea O.

"Easy use for a hard day. "

What do you like best?

Testrail has a very user-friendly interface which creates for a nice pace of work, especially when the tasks are complicated. Navigation is even easier on the site. Everything is very clearly labeled and we'll laid out. It's a very useful tool, and I use it constantly for work.

What do you dislike?

It has a bit of a boring appearance, but given it's use, that isn't much of a priority.

I'm not at liberty to discuss a lot, but I use it to record tasking for the technology project I work on.

TestRail review by Ryan B.
Ryan B.

"TestRail: Does What it Needs To for the Most Part"

What do you like best?

Easy interface, fairly intuitive organization, good import and export controls.

What do you dislike?

The API integration is not extremely extendable or scale-able, the reporting mechanism is weak, groupings and numbering of test cases, etc. is not intuitive at all and gets very confusing, the execution mechanism is extremely rigid.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Examine what exactly is needed for your organization. Who are the stakeholders? Who is going to be accountable for the quality of the management system? Who needs the reporting and reports that can be generated? What is your test harness and will it play nice with TestRail?

TestRail was used to mange the backlog of QA initiatives. The realized benefit was that we finally got a front facing management system for our test cases.

TestRail review by Elena R.
Elena R.

"Using TestRail for regression testing"

What do you like best?

Out team is using TestRail to do regression testing for several projects. I like that:

- I can create new test suit very fast, saving my time and efforts

- I can add easily add results with mentioning case numbers for defects found

- I can add my own result types if I need it

- I can create test runs by using a subset of all my test cases available (include or exclude different sections)

- I can drag and drop sections and test cases and order them as I like

- I can easily export test results and send them to our boss

What do you dislike?

I thing there is a few things that can be improved:

- add possibility to share results with unregistered user

- make it possible to set multiple filters for test run results

Recommendations to others considering the product

this is a great tool that is worth checking it out

quality assurance for multiple web and mobile applications, easy and comprehensive tool for conducting applications testing

TestRail review by Shawn M.
Shawn M.

"Simple and Easy to use"

What do you like best?

I like the simplicity of TestRail when writing and managing test cases. It is easy to copy, move and edit test case. Also I like being able to edit test cases during test runs and the edits show automatically in all test runs.

What do you dislike?

The tool meets our needs and there is nothing that I really dislike.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I do not have recommendations for TestRail at this time.

Mobile Point of Sale solutions. TestRail has benefited our QA team by allowing us to easily maintain and organize test case and test runs. It is easy to create test plans and easy to provide test efforts.

TestRail review by Linda M.
Linda M.

"TestRail integrates well with JIRA"

What do you like best?

I find it is easy to add new projects and create and edit templates in order to meet the business needs.

What do you dislike?

I am happy with the administration and stability of the product.

Before using TestRail, we did not have test cases stored anywhere. This tool is used by developers and QA daily.

TestRail review by Joe D.
Joe D.

"TestRail, impressions from admin and user"

What do you like best?

Easy to use API and highly customizable fields provide a good amount of flexibility. Many settings are also configurable on a per-project basis, allowing teams to use a single TestRail instance in different ways. Configurations make testing across multiple platforms easy to visualize and maintain.

What do you dislike?

Structure is not always intuitive. Having test plans with multiples runs makes automation integrations via API much trickier than it needs to be.

We lacked a true Test Case Management System, which TestRail provided for us. This gives non-QA employees, both engineering and product based, insight into testing strategies, progress and results. It also gives teams the means to see past results, and identify high-risk areas in their test coverage.

TestRail review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"TestRail Recommended"

What do you like best?

TestRail provides its users a very broad range of features and tools to solve reporting of tests. Being able to generate custom reports quickly is a very powerful tool. The most recent updates have solved most workflow issues.

What do you dislike?

Some workflow issues still remain, it'd be nice to re-arrange tests in a more streamlined fashion.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give the trial a try. TestRail support is great and if you need your trial extended a bit to sell your team on the software, just ask them and they'll do what they can.

As an organization, my department wanted to move away from our previous tool (QMetry) that nobody used. I pitched the idea of TestRail and a year later everyone in our department uses TestRail on a daily basis.

TestRail review by Violet K.
Violet K.

"TestRail worked great for my team and helped up stay organized and on track "

What do you like best?

I like that there are test runs and that those are separate from the test cases, so you can just see the test cases without any other information in one view, and you can run it in a whole separate tab. Overall TestRail was great for our Quality Assurance team because it helped with documentation and keeping track of everything, it was much easier to see what we had or had not tested and this saved us a lot of time

What do you dislike?

Nothing really, TestRail was great for me! We had some difficulty understanding it and getting through the process in the beginning, there was some confusion with all the tabs but we got it figured out

Business problems we were having was poor communication between team members, people repeating test cases because they didn't know somebody else had already done something like that. Test Rail really helped our team's communication and organiation.

TestRail review by Julian M.
Julian M.

"Testrail super easy to use."

What do you like best?

works perfect now that we can link it with Jira.

Upgrading versions is super easy and support is always available

What do you dislike?

To be honest I have nothing bad to say about the tool.

Linking it with Jira was the best part of it.

TestRail review by Bradley P.
Bradley P.

"Superior Support Team"

What do you like best?

As a regular user (not a manager) I like having all my test cases grouped in logical areas. I'm sure my managers likes it for the reporting. Oh, and integration with Jira.

I recently switched companies and am trying to get my new manager to use TestRail. I signed up for a 30-day trial and immediately got help with setting up my UI the way I like it. Thank you Dennis Gurock.

What do you dislike?

I haven't found anything yet, but even if I do, I'm sure the staff would put a feature in.

NO MORE SPREADSHEETS! More time in the day to knock out user stories and help more customers

TestRail review by Executive Sponsor in Computer Software
Executive Sponsor in Computer Software

"Avoid it at all cost"

What do you like best?

Simple, no frills interface, easy to implement and get started with a team especially if the team is new to test case inventory management

What do you dislike?

Performance issues, reporting and API sucks, unplanned downtime, don't know how to run their product on cloud; Just don't use it ever

Recommendations to others considering the product

TestRail should not even be on your evaluation list. There are other established players in the market.

Cloud BI platform

TestRail review by Dhwani S.
Dhwani S.

"Testrail is good software to write testcases "

What do you like best?

Writing test case, attach documents and track it using dashboard

What do you dislike?

write testcase in excel and upload it in Testrail functionality i am missing in Testrail

Recommendations to others considering the product

Yes i highly recommend this software

Product testing with test cases

TestRail review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"One of the best test management software "

What do you like best?

First at all one is the best features it is ability to have your own hosted or on-demand version.

Second it is good rest api that allows you integrate TestRail with you company services.

JIra integration, milestones, releases, and etc.

What do you dislike?

For beginners GUI could be a little bit sophisticated.

We store tests cases and requirements in TestRail. And we control our test execution process via release of new versions.

TestRail review by Ronak R.
Ronak R.

"Easy to Use/Configure Test Management Tool"

What do you like best?

Ease of use.

Gets things done faster.

Helps productivity

Very configurable.

Able to change sourcecode, that fits your need.

UI script is great thing to change your UI , and add cool functionality according to your need.

What do you dislike?

I wish reporting was better.

They give some out of box report, but not very customizable.

We used to write our own report using their API, (which is cool, but needs some work on our end)

fast,

efficient , and get things done.

Helped us to move towards exploratory & agile testing.

TestRail review by Sean L.
Sean L.

"good experience"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to use, I prefer it much over DevTrack.

What do you dislike?

Not too much, it seems pretty organized with how we have it set up.

We are using it to organize test sweeps and create test cases and it benefits us to find bugs in our applications.

TestRail review by Mihaela T.
Mihaela T.

"Easy and convenient."

What do you like best?

Running the test cases and the diagrams.

What do you dislike?

There are a few issues out there that TR need to take care of.

As a QA engineer I am writing and running constantly test cases to verify that the software (related to chemical management and safety data sheets) is working as intended. Test Rail helped me keep my work organized and all in one place.

TestRail review by User in Online Media
User in Online Media

"Gets the job done, UI lacking"

What do you like best?

Having a central location for all test cases both manual and automation. The baseline functionality is good too in case you have to switch team members int he middle of a project, its easier to give them a historical view of where the testing has come from.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that once you close a ticket in Jira the status of the ticket reads closed in TestRail, yet Testrail still shows that issue as either needing to have a test run on it to pass or fail. If its closed its closed, and no longer needs tests to run.

Storage and distribution of test cases/suites. Better than excel as the team grows.

TestRail review by User in Financial Services

"Use to store test cases and results for regression and feature tests"

What do you like best?

I like that it is easy to use and you can easily results for test rund

What do you dislike?

I don't like that you cannot copy test case steps from one to another. Also i have not found a way to edit/ replace multiple test cases

I am team lead for my project and I love that I can create test sections and also use configurations to test multiple OSes. Also love that I can view results and pass/fail rates.

TestRail review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Quick and hassel free software for test case management"

What do you like best?

Intuitive. Easy to navigate around. It has both quick/short testcase description as well as fields to put down detailed information of a testcase

What do you dislike?

Ability to execute the testcase from testrail itself.

It misses fields like 1) Author field per testcase 2) Version of product the testcase needs to be executed on.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Given the features available in this cost, its a great deal

We are writing a software for secondary storage market. We maintain our testcases in TestRail.

It helps to be more productive and helps us manage the quality of our software.

"Good for business UAT "

What do you like best?

Transparency. The ability to see the actual testing data, such is passed, failed, not tested, blocked, etc. I like how you can duplicate stories that may fall under different business users. As different stakeholders have a different idea of how they see a story.

What do you dislike?

I haven't really had any negative interactions with using test-rail. It is does seem to be a pretty straightforward application. From entering stories, to linking from Jira, to closing out.

Transparency. The data is very visible to all who have access to the dashboards, you are able to see when a project is on track, off-track, at risk, etc.

"Test rail "

What do you like best?

It is good as test case repository and uses test case flow isolation like test plan , test suits seen separately.

What do you dislike?

It doesn't have enough info to guide user and did nothing to direct after doing any actions

Recommendations to others considering the product

Not reco

Created test suite,test plans and execute.Besides generated test run report

TestRail review by Vigintas P.
Vigintas P.

"Fast and easy!"

What do you like best?

I like, that I can combine it with JIRA.

What do you dislike?

I don't like timer, because you can edit time how you want.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Improve timers!

TestRail using for test cases execution and issues tracking.

"User friendly "

What do you like best?

The software is easy to follow and use.

What do you dislike?

Would love to see new features that multiple people have suggested.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it!

Managing storing test cases. Organization makes life easier.

"Orginize test cases"

What do you like best?

Switched from excel, find way more convenient, especially for team use.

Easy to organize and edit.

Love the interface and how easy to organize test runs.

What do you dislike?

Was little complicated get through navigation first (assign and re-assign test cases)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Convenient tool

QA - keeping test cases grouped and up to date

TestRail review by Internal Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Internal Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"Nicely Organized"

What do you like best?

Places for separate test suites and test runs

What do you dislike?

I like everything about this application.

It helps track progress by watching results through time.

Learn more about TestRail

TestRail Videos

TestRail Downloads

Learning about TestRail?

* We monitor all TestRail reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.