TextPad

TextPad7.4 is a powerful, general purpose editor for plain text files. Easy to use, with all the features a power user requires.

Work for TextPad?
Ultraedit 2x

Learning about TextPad?

TextPad Reviews

Showing 95 TextPad reviews
TextPad review by <span>Ujwal G.</span>
Ujwal G.

Powerful and functional.

What do you like best?

The ability of texpad to deal large files that are more than 500 mb is a rare and appreciated quality of fully functional text editor.

What do you dislike?

The feature set of Textpad is limited to what the developers of the product make. It is not flexible like notepad++

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a place you stop if you are searching for a powerful, functional and an editor that uses the system resources efficiently.

Searching logs to find the root cause of the issue from production logs that are generally quite huge.

Most of the times you want to filter the logs based on what you are looking for without tampering the original file. The mark all feature provides an easy way to select the lines you are interested in and paste it in another tab for further processing. This feature comes quite handy when trouble shooting large files.

The marking of lines further provides features to delete all other lines that are unmarked. The search feature in combination with mark all makes it a great tool to work with.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about TextPad
TextPad review by <span>Ranjit A.</span>
Ranjit A.

Very good text editor

What do you like best?

Earlier I was using notepad and then later wordpad for editing and viewing text files like Internet drafts / RFC which need to be written as XML documents. TextPad makes it easy to write new documents or edit existing ones and highlights the keywords - which makes it easier to identity the begin and end of XML tags and thus helping identify any XML validation errors.

What do you dislike?

Cannot insert pictures / objects like winword

Recommendations to others considering the product

A good text editor to use as compared to notepad / wordpad.

I use TextPad mainly for editing Wireshark hosts file, writing YAML files for Ansible, editing and viewing XML documents for Internet Drafts / RFCs

What Text Editor solution do you use?

TextPad review by User in Higher Education

Best text editor ever

What do you like best?

It's very easy to use. At the same time, has plenty of short cuts that are easy to master. I have become a fan of this tool since the very first day I started using this tool. My colleague recommended this tool and now I have been recommending this tool to others without any hesitation.

What do you dislike?

At this moment, I don't remember anything particularly I don't like about textpad.

But probably, the layout can be made a little more colorful and they may introduce some themes to be applied for better customer experience. Nonetheless, great job done by the developers I must say.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend textpad particularly to those using notepad or any other text editor every now and then. This tool has way more functionality than any other similar tools and much easier to use. I have been using this since I joined industry and even after I switched to academia again, I am still using this tool. Kudos to the developers for doing a great job with this tool.

I used this tool highly to write codes, find out any particular string from a huge set of data, etc. I used to write scripts for linux servers during my tenure at industry in this tool. After switching to academia, I have been using this tool to prepare input files for atomistic simulation work I do in some specialized tools. But I must say there are other scopes.

TextPad review by User in Financial Services

Fantastic text editor

What do you like best?

Perfect for web developers who do stuff the old fashioned way (in code). It uses color coding to show you which tags or quotes are opened or closed. Allows you to have hundreds of documents opened all at the same time. The ability to create Macros is also extremely helpful if you need to use this to create data files.

What do you dislike?

The color coding is great for html, but it isn't available for classic ASP or Javascript. It also does not support Chinese characters, but it can be used to edit files containing Chinese characters.

Recommendations to others considering the product

So much better than just using Wordpad or Notepad. This is an absolute must for any web developer who likes to program in code and not with software.

I use Textpad exclusively for programming our web page. In addition to that I also use it for cutting and pasting code that I will need to use on other computers. I started using TextPad originally when I was programming standard html (enhanced for Netscape 1.1 of course), I then graduated to classic ASP and Javascript, and now I use it for Bootstrap and CSS.

TextPad review by <span>Nick H.</span>
Nick H.

Workhorse for large files

What do you like best?

TextPad can handle virtually any size file you throw at it. Very fast for doing regular expression search/replace on those large files. Therefore it still is the editor I use for handling very large logfiles or datafiles.

What do you dislike?

It used to be the editor I used for all editing of plain textfiles, but there are nicer looking alternatives for that, like SublimeText or Atom. Regular expressions in TextPad take a little time to get used to when it comes to escaping special characters.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For general purpose textediting there are nicer alternatives, but for very large files this is a great editor.

Ability to handle very large files (hundreds of megabytes to a couple of gigabytes) with relative ease.

TextPad review by <span>Vivian W.</span>
Vivian W.

Great for coding

What do you like best?

Textpad is extremely easy to use. My company has a proprietary language, but Textpad still worked well with it. We integrated some Tools to use with Textpad which makes our work so much easier.

The color coding also helps a bunch.

Overall, coding with Textpad is simple and easy. No complaints!

What do you dislike?

Nothing, Textpad is easy to use. I like everything about Textpad as of now.

My company uses its own programming language, but even then, Textpad works well with the language. We created some Tools that would make our work easier such as linking us to certain parts of the code as we are searching for them.

Learning about TextPad?

* We monitor all TextPad reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.