TextPad

TextPad7.4 is a powerful, general purpose editor for plain text files. Easy to use, with all the features a power user requires.

Work for TextPad?

Learning about TextPad?

TextPad Reviews

Showing 96 TextPad reviews
TextPad review by Ujwal G.
Ujwal G.

"Powerful and functional."

What do you like best?

The ability of texpad to deal large files that are more than 500 mb is a rare and appreciated quality of fully functional text editor.

What do you dislike?

The feature set of Textpad is limited to what the developers of the product make. It is not flexible like notepad++

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a place you stop if you are searching for a powerful, functional and an editor that uses the system resources efficiently.

Searching logs to find the root cause of the issue from production logs that are generally quite huge.

Most of the times you want to filter the logs based on what you are looking for without tampering the original file. The mark all feature provides an easy way to select the lines you are interested in and paste it in another tab for further processing. This feature comes quite handy when trouble shooting large files.

The marking of lines further provides features to delete all other lines that are unmarked. The search feature in combination with mark all makes it a great tool to work with.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about TextPad
TextPad review by Carla B.
Carla B.

"Excellent Large Text editor."

What do you like best?

It allows opening very large files and allows changing the character set of the document. It is fully functional and very easy to use. It has very easy to use shortcuts. Honestly a very useful tool for my work is something indispensable. It is very useful especially for apprentices of programmers. It replaces the notepad quite well. It has taken me out of trouble, it does not block the PC at all. It has an excellent tool to search and replace text, which also allows the creation of patterns of regular expressions.

What do you dislike?

It does not have a lot of features and customization is not flexible. Colors are not always available. It is not customizable. It is not very configurable, there are many other better ones and we must not forget that it is still that, a plain text editor. Despite all this, the meeting a very useful work tool and is very helpful

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend that you use it is a great editor the best for very large files. Offers great help when finding errors and very easy to use

It shows the cause of the problem that helps resolve any error quickly. Opens large files, many others have errors and are not compatible with heavy files. It is very easy to load programs based on data. It is a powerful editor that uses system resources very efficiently. This editor is the best alternative for very large files.

What Text Editor solution do you use?

TextPad review by Ranjit A.
Ranjit A.

"Very good text editor "

What do you like best?

Earlier I was using notepad and then later wordpad for editing and viewing text files like Internet drafts / RFC which need to be written as XML documents. TextPad makes it easy to write new documents or edit existing ones and highlights the keywords - which makes it easier to identity the begin and end of XML tags and thus helping identify any XML validation errors.

What do you dislike?

Cannot insert pictures / objects like winword

Recommendations to others considering the product

A good text editor to use as compared to notepad / wordpad.

I use TextPad mainly for editing Wireshark hosts file, writing YAML files for Ansible, editing and viewing XML documents for Internet Drafts / RFCs

"Best text editor ever"

What do you like best?

It's very easy to use. At the same time, has plenty of short cuts that are easy to master. I have become a fan of this tool since the very first day I started using this tool. My colleague recommended this tool and now I have been recommending this tool to others without any hesitation.

What do you dislike?

At this moment, I don't remember anything particularly I don't like about textpad.

But probably, the layout can be made a little more colorful and they may introduce some themes to be applied for better customer experience. Nonetheless, great job done by the developers I must say.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend textpad particularly to those using notepad or any other text editor every now and then. This tool has way more functionality than any other similar tools and much easier to use. I have been using this since I joined industry and even after I switched to academia again, I am still using this tool. Kudos to the developers for doing a great job with this tool.

I used this tool highly to write codes, find out any particular string from a huge set of data, etc. I used to write scripts for linux servers during my tenure at industry in this tool. After switching to academia, I have been using this tool to prepare input files for atomistic simulation work I do in some specialized tools. But I must say there are other scopes.

TextPad review by User in Financial Services

"Fantastic text editor"

What do you like best?

Perfect for web developers who do stuff the old fashioned way (in code). It uses color coding to show you which tags or quotes are opened or closed. Allows you to have hundreds of documents opened all at the same time. The ability to create Macros is also extremely helpful if you need to use this to create data files.

What do you dislike?

The color coding is great for html, but it isn't available for classic ASP or Javascript. It also does not support Chinese characters, but it can be used to edit files containing Chinese characters.

Recommendations to others considering the product

So much better than just using Wordpad or Notepad. This is an absolute must for any web developer who likes to program in code and not with software.

I use Textpad exclusively for programming our web page. In addition to that I also use it for cutting and pasting code that I will need to use on other computers. I started using TextPad originally when I was programming standard html (enhanced for Netscape 1.1 of course), I then graduated to classic ASP and Javascript, and now I use it for Bootstrap and CSS.

TextPad review by Nick H.
Nick H.

"Workhorse for large files"

What do you like best?

TextPad can handle virtually any size file you throw at it. Very fast for doing regular expression search/replace on those large files. Therefore it still is the editor I use for handling very large logfiles or datafiles.

What do you dislike?

It used to be the editor I used for all editing of plain textfiles, but there are nicer looking alternatives for that, like SublimeText or Atom. Regular expressions in TextPad take a little time to get used to when it comes to escaping special characters.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For general purpose textediting there are nicer alternatives, but for very large files this is a great editor.

Ability to handle very large files (hundreds of megabytes to a couple of gigabytes) with relative ease.

TextPad review by Vivian W.
Vivian W.

"Great for coding"

What do you like best?

Textpad is extremely easy to use. My company has a proprietary language, but Textpad still worked well with it. We integrated some Tools to use with Textpad which makes our work so much easier.

The color coding also helps a bunch.

Overall, coding with Textpad is simple and easy. No complaints!

What do you dislike?

Nothing, Textpad is easy to use. I like everything about Textpad as of now.

My company uses its own programming language, but even then, Textpad works well with the language. We created some Tools that would make our work easier such as linking us to certain parts of the code as we are searching for them.

TextPad review by Jason C.
Jason C.

"Vastly superior to notepad...no really."

What do you like best?

Notepad is to Textpad what beef jerky is to steak. Textpad allows you to so so much with data files that it's mind blowing. And yes, i realize it's a standard computer program but I didn't use it until 2014 and had to work with word, excel and notepad up until that point. Textpad made me laugh because I realized I didn't need to put up with the problems I endured during my time before finding it. Some of the tricks take some tinkering and trial-and-error but once you get them down, you'll be working magic.

What do you dislike?

It's really hard to turn off or reverse the Split Window function without ruining your work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Only upgrade things that might need improving for the sake of making said things easier to use. DON'T just change a bunch of stuff around. Don't go the way of Microsoft Vista/8.

Delimiters are easy to move/remove, data is easy to find, importing/exporting to excel is a breeze and loading onto data-based programs couldn't be easier.

TextPad review by Will V.
Will V.

"TextPad"

What do you like best?

The ease of manipulating text data for analysis. The file comparison function is fantastic when looking for micro-differences between multiple documents. Block Selecting is fantastic as well!

What do you dislike?

There is no HEX editor that I am aware of.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try. It's free! It won't be the most powerful Text editor but it's the best one that is free, in my opinion. I give it a solid 2nd place next to UltraEdit.

I have used this application for the last 12-15 years. I use it to look at X12 and XML data. Make changes, analysis, comparison between multiple files, etc. I'm able to replace characters in standard or regular expression. I also use it as a staging area to write scripts and copy/change other scripts for my purposes. Lots of use cases for this great free tool!

TextPad review by Shashank K.
Shashank K.

"Great software with Robust features"

What do you like best?

This is a great software for a lot of reasons: The features are very reliable and I feel all the help with spell check and transposition of characters, etc. are pretty cool. I feel this is a software that can help a lot of people with their writing and speech dictation.

What do you dislike?

There is really nothing to dislike here. I feel it is something that will really help a lot of professionals in their respective spheres. There si not a lot to dislike here to be honest. Overall, it is a great product and deserves a shot by most professionals.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a shot and it might just surprise you. It has some great, robust features and can really help a lot of professionals in their writing skills.

It helps with good spell checking and also transposition errors, etc. Overall, a great software for sure.

TextPad review by Laura R.
Laura R.

"Simple editor de codigo"

What do you like best?

Posee algunas caracteristicas dignas de un editor sencillo y util de codigo, soporta una variedad de lenguages de programacion y tiene la caracteristica de manejar multiples archivos al mismo tiempo, es super liviano y se ejecuta rapidamente en Windows.

What do you dislike?

No esta muy bien adaptado a las nuevas herramientas que ofrece el mercado actual, es perfecto para scripts de consola y algunos scripts de C/C++ pero para desarrollo en otras areas como CSS o JavaScript carece de las herramientas necesarias.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Esta herramienta no es gratis ni de codigo abierto, en el mercado existen otros editores mucho mas adecuados y nuevos que pueden ofrecerte un mejor soporte para la programacion y nuevas tecnologias.

Mantenimiento de scripts sencillos en C/C++, la mayoria de las veces resulta mejor hacer uso de esta herramienta que usar el editor por defecto en Windows, es facil de aprender y configurar y esta orientado a la programacion en general.

TextPad review by Kellie J C.
Kellie J C.

"I use TextPad on a daily basis to sort through data files and error logs."

What do you like best?

I like that it is a small application with tons of capability. I can install it in a matter of minutes and it is not a memory suck.

I like that i can also manage several files at once.

What do you dislike?

There really isn't anything i dislike about this application. It is VERY handy. It runs big files and makes them easily searchable and editable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a text editing app this is one of the best. It gives you lots of functions and ability in a very small application.

It can open very large data files with minimal effort. It makes them more available to be edited, searched and updated.

I like the ability to view encoding characters and hidden characters. Often times those characters are what throws off my data file, so being able to view them in the app is very helpful.

I use this app to search data files for errors. I can use it to replace certain pieces of data. I also use it to go through error logs.

I like how it keeps my files organized in tabs or in the side window for me to choose.

TextPad review by Anastacia M.
Anastacia M.

"Simple y util editor de codigo"

What do you like best?

Corre rapido y es ligero, posee todas aquellas caracteristicas que tienen otros editores mas avanzados, facil de usar y configurar, los Macros puede ser realmente util para el automatizado de tareas, la posibilidad de tener muchas vistas de un mismo documento, bien establecido para el desarrollo en general y construccion de proyectos.

What do you dislike?

No posee integracion con GitHub u otro control de codigo fuente, el sitio web del producto es realmente viejo y desactualizado el cual no inspira confianza o el sentido de compra del producto, la interfaz esta algo desactualizada y tiene pocos temas visuales para configurarlo, no tiene la capacidad de extenderlo con plugins, no posee completacion de codigo.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Considerando que existen otras alternativas mucho mejor establecidas para la editacion y creacion de codigo, TextPad puede cumplir con un alto rango de caracteristicas de forma simplista y rapida, si estas trabajando en proyectos sencillos puedes mejorar tu nivel de productividad usandolo.

Creacion de scripts, es una herramienta util y simple, puede establecerse como editor predefinido en el sistema operativo y usarlo para tareas comunes de editaje o programacion en general.

TextPad review by Josh H.
Josh H.

"Handy tool for lightweight HTML editing"

What do you like best?

TextPad is a great shareware text editor that packs many advanced features that go above and beyond the built-in tools in Windows. It's especially geared towards editing HTML files, and it includes many tools and niceties that streamline the workflow of HTML coding.

When editing HTML files, TextPad offers the standard features you'd expect, plus a few useful add-ons like a clip library docked on the sidebar and easily accessible find feature found on the toolbar. These features are the most likely to be used very often, and they're readily available wherever you need them.

Above all, TextPad is a great lightweight tool for when you don't want to launch something like Dreamweaver, and it has enough included features to get the job done. And if you want to shape it into something that specifically fits your needs, there are a ton of extra plugins available from the TextPad site.

What do you dislike?

There is no built-in support for many popular languages, the most notable of which is CSS. These days, if you're working with HTML you're almost definitely working with CSS as well. While TextPad does offer syntax definition files you can download for various languages (including CSS), there's really nothing to indicate that this is the case and you have to know it exists, go looking for it, and install it yourself. In a modern HTML editor, CSS should be included out of the box.

TextPad is also missing a few built-in line operation and text manipulation features that exist in similar tools like Notepad++, but with enough effort you could probably re-create these features using macros and plugins.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You may not be able to completely replace your existing tools with TextPad, but it's a great addition to more powerful tools when you need to get in and out of a file quickly and efficiently.

For us, TextPad is a great supplemental tool to more robust WYSIWYG editors that allows for very quick edits and operations when a full-featured tool is not needed.

TextPad review by Patrick M.
Patrick M.

"TextPad Is An Awesome Text Editor"

What do you like best?

There are so many features that I love about TextPad that it's hard to pick a single one that is my favorite. However, if I had to pick a favorite it would probably be the ability to highlight blocks of text from within a text file and cut/paste them to another part of your file or another application. I use this for manipulating load files for legal systems such as Summation and Concordance, and without this tool I have no idea how I would perform the tasks that I do.

In addition to the block select mode my other favorite option is probably the powerful search and replace, which allows you to use regular expressions to find patterns of text to replace. Super powerful and easy to use!

What do you dislike?

There isn't much about this software I don't like. It is extremely cheap, very flexible, has a lot of great features, and is a super quick and easy install.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get this software because you have nothing to lose! There is a free version available that you can use without limits, so it doesn't really cost you anything out of pocket. If you want to support the company, which we do, you can buy a license to use the software, which removes the splash screen and gets you into the software quicker.. Definitely try this out if you have the need to modify text in any way!

A lot of times we have the need to manipulate text from many different sources in order to get it into a useable format for an application, and this software lets us do that quickly and easily.

TextPad review by Alberto C.
Alberto C.

"Excelente alternativa como editor de codigo"

What do you like best?

Simple editor de codigo, viene con todas las caracterisiticas de entornos mucho mas grandes y complejos, es rapido y sencillo, puedes crear macros para tareas repetitivas, es facil de configurar y se adapta rapidamente a tus necesidades, tiene suporte para plugins y puedes editar un mismo archivo con multiples vistas del mismo.

What do you dislike?

Puede ser algo costoso, normalmente no posee todas las caracteristicas complejas de otros IDE, no tiene soporte para GitHub y tiene excaso soporte para otros lenguages de programacion, no soporta archivos SASS o LESS.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Para proyectos simples o correccion de errores en el codigo puede ser de verdadera ayuda, creo que la mejor adoptacion es para proyectos front-end, puedes probarlo por cierto tiempo y ser sorprendido con el nivel de productividad que alcanzaras.

Proyectos Front-End, editacion y creacion de archivos HTML y CSS, es bastante facil de usar, y ofrece un gran nivel de productividad usandolo de forma eficiente.

TextPad review by Emmanuel I.
Emmanuel I.

"A Powerful Text Editor"

What do you like best?

There are many features i like about Textpad. The key ones are stated below :

1) Macro recording : This feature allows you record commands and functions and also save them. Which can later be played back . Playback can be limited to a number of lines or to end of file

2) Compare Files : You can compare two files to check for similarities or differences

3) Sort : This features does not only re-order/re-arrange the text file, it can also delete duplicates and highlight a specific length of lines

What do you dislike?

There is nothing i dislike about the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Thinking of a Text Editor that is cheap, rich and easy to use..think TEXTPAD

I work with a lot of data. And Textpad has helped in data preparation(editing, sorting, cleansing). For example, i might need to create multiple insert query lines (>100,000 lines) for insertion into a custom table. All i'll do is to create a Macro then playback to the End of File

TextPad review by Matteo M.
Matteo M.

"A great educational software"

What do you like best?

I got to use Textpad during the first college programming courses: I used mainly software to program in Java, not in advanced courses. Textpad is a great editor to start developing for it is easy and intuitive, and does not have many options. This makes it easier to focus on what you are doing: the main pros are the extreme lightness and ease of use. You can see the files, there are editor tabs, simply edit function and syntax highlighting. A very useful option is the ability to set compile command via menu option, setting the right environment variable under windows os. This makes the task of compiling (not using shell) less confusing, especially for those who are beginners in development world. Also macros are super useful.

What do you dislike?

There are no particular against for this software, unless its simplicity: just needs become more advanced, this software is no longer suitable. Making it perhaps convenient to do more than oo advanced programming scripting. It would be nice to introduce an exploration of java libraries with tip command to use, but this would be detrimental to the performance and in any case there are other IDE that make this task at best.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use this software if you want simplicity and speed: it is suitable for older computers, it consumes very few resources.

Nothing in particular, this software has been very helpful in the realization of the first libraries in Java programming courses.

TextPad review by Benjamin K.
Benjamin K.

"As good for data as for text"

What do you like best?

Though looking like a simple text editor, TextPad has the ability to open large files of data without being overwhelmed, edit them in an organized manner (edit by row or by column for example), and record and run macros to do repeated editions. I particularly like the ability to open several files and easily switch from one to the other with a column menu and/or tabs.

It largely enhances the functionalities of a simple text editor without getting as heavy and complex as a full editor.

What do you dislike?

The macros run quite slowly on large files, if yo need to repeat an action on each row for example. You have to launch them and forget, and do something else until it's finished. It's however still appreciated to be able run macros, which avoids having to program in Python, VBA or other programming languages to do simple editing tasks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a text editor not too basic, but without going as far as Word (for text) or Excel (for data), it is good compromise. It is very helpful to work on several files at a time, do basic edition and especially run systematic editing.

Despite the name of the product, II mainly use TextPad not to edit text, but to visualize large data files. It is easier than Excel or dedicated software for a quick overview and data check, but more powerful than simple text editors. I use it a lot to compare several files together, merge them, or do minor but repetitive corrections.

TextPad review by Gabriel C.
Gabriel C.

"A powerful, complete, balanced, and fairly customizable text editor for everyday use"

What do you like best?

I love the flexibility and customizability that allows me to use it in my everyday coding, even though is not my go-to text editor, but it has an embedded java compiler, so it can be helpful if you're in a hurry.

But it's also really useful for editing regular text, such as emails and that kind of stuff that you're normally gonna find in the office.

I also like the fact that it's really resource efficient.

What do you dislike?

Definitely the pricing, since there are other options that offer the same capabilities but are completely free of charge.

Aside from the java compiler, it doesn't bring anything new to the table in terms of features.

The interface is too plain and simple.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you can afford it, go for it, It's not a life changer or life saver, but it can definitely help you if you are in a hurry and need to deal with quick text editing or quick java code checking and compiling.

If you're happy with your regular windows notepad app, or think that notepad++ has everything you need cover, then you should skip TextPad and go on with your life.

I use it as my 2nd or 3rd option when I have to edit or correct code snipppets in java, mostly when I'm using my IDE for another thing and I need to quickly check and compile some piece of code that I got through email from a co-worker.

TextPad review by Jim C.
Jim C.

"Very Straightforward Text Tool"

What do you like best?

Textpad can open large files quickly. It can conditionally format difference types of documents based on the file extension. This works great for xml, SQL (various varieties) and other file types. It comes in 32-bit and 64-bit for just about any language you could want.

What do you dislike?

It is hard to dislike anything about textpad. I would like an auto-update feature, and I cannot seem to get the tip of the day to go away, despite clicking the checkbox to make it not show up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I know there are other text applications with some fancy features, but if you just want a basic tool that blows away notepad, give textpad a try.

I use textpad to exam configuration files for servers, incoming flat files for dataloads, as well as data files that I generate in house. I wrote an entire software application in ASP.NET using just textpad and Visual Studio for the compiles.

TextPad review by Daniela A.
Daniela A.

"Great utility for multiple purposes"

What do you like best?

You can make it the primary text editor in your Windows System. It has Syntax highlighting and folder tree view. It is really handy when working with folder heavy projects that you must browse through multiple folders while working.

What do you dislike?

I don't really dislike anything from the application, yet I would like to be able to upload files from the get-go, and maybe giving the user a couple more nice themes to work with. It's default syntax highlighting brings a yellow current line highlight that can be an eye sore.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you feel MS's Notepad doesn't fulfills your text editing needs, you should take a peek at TextPad, i will bring a bunch of tools to the table so you won't need any other additional tool to make changes to source files.

TextPad review by Matthew G.
Matthew G.

"Simple text editor with a file browser but there are better options out there"

What do you like best?

It's a simple, free text editor. It knows some code formats out of the box (HTML, etc.) and will format them for you. It can open pretty much and text doc I throw at it, and the browser is usable. It's more robust/styled than notepad so it's not bare-bones per-say, it has line nuimbers, better search (file-based), and you can create macros which can be useful to automate some tasks.

What do you dislike?

Weird shortcuts is a main one, not intuitive at all. As well they could support more code extensions (json) natively. There's not much to dislike but there's not much to like, and that's the main problem. In a sea of great text editors that are worth phoning home about, Textpad is just kind of blah. It looks like it's from the 90's, the fonts are hard to read, and it doesn't have the userbase of helpful people that something like sublime has. Search functions aren't as good or fast as others, and the file browser is just cluttered and a pain to look at and use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can try it but I honestly think sublime with the dark theme is just miles ahead. I'd check that out instead.

You need to open/type a lot of different text-based formats, both for code and not, at work. This is an adequate way to do that and it's better than say, notepad. It has some functions that save time, but so does every text editor at this point.

TextPad review by Charlie B.
Charlie B.

"Textpad is a good text editor for physical model input files"

What do you like best?

Text pad is a fairly simple text editor with a few useful features that doesn't get in your way when editing text files. It doesn't have a lot of the bells and whistles of a typical code editor, just basic text editing capabilities. It has the basic features of any code editor: multiple open files in separate tabs, syntax highlighting, automatic indenting, file differencing, regex find and replace (single and multi-file), and a macro record-playback feature to automate repetitive tasks. It also has some more unique features, including block cut-copy-paste and sorting. Text pad can open files in multiple formats (unix, PC and Mac OS) and encodings (including ANSI, DOS, UTF-8 and unicode).

What do you dislike?

There's nothing I really dislike about Textpad. My main gripe would be the odd command-key combinations for some tasks, such as control-q then b to toggle block selection (though there is also a menu item). Perhaps they had to work around reserved Windows command-key combinations?

Recommendations to others considering the product

A useful text editor. The most useful features not found on other basic text editors are syntax highlighting, block cut-copy-paste, sorting and differences. But it's not a full-featured code editor.

I've found it most useful for editing text files used in hydrologic models (PEST, MODFLOW, IWFM, HYDRUS, etc.) which do not conform to common coding syntax. The block copy-paste, sorting, differencing and regex find-replace features are especially useful, along with the ability to work with files in DOS and unix/linux format.

TextPad review by Adriana L.
Adriana L.

"Lightweight code editor"

What do you like best?

It's great for simple and common code editing tasks, it has multiples views from an actual opened file, it has a beautiful syntax coloring, you can compare two files for changes, it loads fast, easy to use and configure it, you can create Macros for repetitive tasks.

What do you dislike?

It's not free and quite expensive, the UI is not very friendly and it's outdated, the webpage is old and outdated, it doesn't support last tech stack like NodeJS or CSS preprocessors.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great alternative and better than others OS default text editor, you should try it and consider others free alternatives.

Simple code editing, it's a great alternative because it's lightweight and runs fast, you can complete all common code tasks easily and without problems.

TextPad review by G2 Crowd User in Computer Software
G2 Crowd User in Computer Software

"Textpad review"

What do you like best?

Textpad is a great text editor which is available for free to download and use. It has common features that every text editor has and much better than using standard notepad that comes with Windows. It is very easy to use and new users can easily transition to textpad even without prior experience. You can configure various options based on your preference like whether you want full path of the file or just file name to be displayed, or whether you want to see list of the files in left hand navigation bar or in the top. Also, it can easily open large files upto some extent. You can configure short cuts to match your preference based on using other editors. It also offers interactive tips if that setting is turned on every time you launch the editor. Installing textpad adds the shortcut on the windows explorer so you can easily open files in the your choice of editor.

What do you dislike?

Textpad find shortcut is confusing everytime, instead of Ctrl F, you have to remember to use F5 and that can be challenging unless you modify the default setting specially when you are coming from the other editors background. Also, it can be used for simply viewing the files or some scratch work, but not preferred for doing software development and should not be compared with IDE since it can't identify compilation errors and used for debugging etc. It has its own limits such that it can't recognize unix/shell script files syntax words. So it is strictly meant for Windows use. Textpad at times tends to open files in different editor instead of opening all files in single instance, that has been very confusing to remember which instance has which file. So I always prefer to drag and drop files into existing instance when that happens which is a simplest workaround.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Absolutely recommend - it is great text editor that offers many advantages and much better using notepad. You can use it simply for viewing files and doing some scratch work or it can also serve for initially coding while you are awaiting IDE setup and viewing formats that identifies the reserved words etc.

Opensource and fully functional editor with lot of usability and good user experience, so you can't complain about anything that it doesn't have to offer. It is greatly suitable for day to day usage for doing scratch work, viewing log files or even opening java source code to view and visually compare with files from other directories. Textpad help is great if you are trying to find some solution.

TextPad review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Friendly and light weight Text Editor"

What do you like best?

TextPad is a powerful editor for text files. I have been using TextPad for many years now - primarily to look at the position of records in a text file, compare files and to make notes while working on my day to day assignments. I have a TextPad window always opened at my desktop since the amount of memory usage is close to none. So I use it keep recording steps which I have been performing to resolve complex business issues.

What do you dislike?

Not much to "dislike" in TextPad really. It's super easy to use and contains a lot of features IT users need.

It's a Text Editor so it doesn't really solve any business problems. But looking at the ton of features it provides, it's a "must-have tool for every IT person.

TextPad review by Zoraida M.
Zoraida M.

"Easy to use and customizable code editor"

What do you like best?

You can easily customize it, it's minimalist and it focus well on edit tools, you can have multiple views, it can open large files fast, it comes with a portable edition, it's easy to set syntax colors, it has macro tools for repeating tasks like setting a HTML file default tags.

What do you dislike?

It doesn't support CSS or others languages at all, it's not free, GUI design is outdated, it doesn't have GitHub or other svn integration.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's easy to use and can be customized for your needs, if you want it for basic edit tasks it matches perfectly.

Front-end projects, plain text editing and JS scripts, it's a great lightweight editor alternative, you can build front-end projects fast, fix errors or write unit tests efficiently.

TextPad review by Victor A.
Victor A.

"The best Text Editor Ever! "

What do you like best?

Textpad is an excellent text editor, it has multiple ways to format what you need to do, whether is programming or simple editng text. It is pretty well design, I love the explorer included, you don´t need to get out to find other text. That may seem simple, but is actually very complete and configurable. Clipboard history is a very useful clip library. It provides support for editing files of this type.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately it does not support rich text formatting. Some spelling weakness,

Recommendations to others considering the product

It can be used as a regular text editor with the addition of managing large files.

solve the problem with large files, add more number of languages and clip more libraries.

TextPad review by Orianna L.
Orianna L.

"Windows' Notepad Alternative"

What do you like best?

Simple Macro Recorder.

RegExp searching tool.

Tree folder browser, extremely handy!

Shortcuts customization.

Very lightweight.

What do you dislike?

The Syntax highlighting could use some modifications or allowing the user to make modifications to it, so it will be more readable and better to the eye.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're in need of something lightweight and sort of powerful, you should give textpad a try. It will help you when doing simple files modification hassle-free and without worrying about loading your cpu with an useless and heavy tool.

It's all about folders trees. Sometimes i need to navigate through more than 5 sub levels in folders while working in java projects. This tool brings it with a couple more goodies you will be very pleased with.

TextPad review by Brian S.
Brian S.

"A fantastic text processor for the Windows platform"

What do you like best?

My favorite feature is the "Find/Replace" and making it work across not only opened documents but the ability to search the hard drive for whatever. This is very handy for finding text in files (zips) that aren't easily searchable otherwise.

What do you dislike?

The File Compare (Diff) utility is just "okay". It's not as full featured as some other tools I've used in the past/currently.

My only other complaint is that the tool is for Windows-only, i.e. there's no Mac counterpart.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The trial version is free and full featured, so the entry barrier to try it out is pretty minimal. The purchase price is pretty minimal (under 30 dollars).

I originally purchased TextPad to edit large text files which I couldn't process otherwise. The trial version of TextPad allowed to evaluate it and realize that it was going to fit my needs perfectly.

TextPad review by Cristobal M.
Cristobal M.

"Great straightforward code editor"

What do you like best?

Simple lightweight code editor, you can split one file in multiple views and edit it simultaneously, it consumes a very few resources so you can have opened multiple processes of it, great JAVA syntax support and a bunch of editing features like search/replace or bookmarks.

What do you dislike?

It doesn't have multiple line editing, it supports a few programming languages, it doesn't have GitHub or any source code management integration, it doesn't have FTP features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you don't want any complicated IDE for just editing text or source code files you should try it.

Programming work, mostly JAVA files, it runs very quickly, it's easy to customize and adapt it to your needs, multiple views can be very handly for large files.

TextPad review by Daniel S.
Daniel S.

"Old code editor"

What do you like best?

It has many features like searching, line numbers etc, it runs fast, it's lightweight and you can configure many things to a better experience.

What do you dislike?

It has an old interface, it's not oriented to Front-End development, it doesn't have advanced technologies tools like JS compiling or CSS preprocessors, it's not free and it's quite expensive, it doesn't have GitHub integration, it doesn't support code completation or code debug.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are many advanced tools for free in market, it's great for a very basic code editing tasks or quickly scan code files.

Basic C scripts, it can be a handy tool for basic scripting like python or C, syntax highlighting and fonts looks very well.

TextPad review by Pedro J. M.
Pedro J. M.

"TextPad a multitask text editor"

What do you like best?

TextPad helps me no just with regular text files, but is extremely helpful while programming. Its design lets me work in various scenarios, its multiple tabs lets me have several windows open for comparing purposes, easy to switch between open files, additionally its explorer feature keeps me in track, I do not have to search for file outside of the program. Its multilinggual support is it also quite helpful.

What do you dislike?

Spelling may need a little polish. It lacks support for rich text format.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Excellent tool, you will find everything youn need, it does not matter if it is plain text or programming codes.

Can use it for multile purposes, no just plain text.

TextPad review by Fernando V.
Fernando V.

"TextPad the Notepad replacement for normal or programming usage."

What do you like best?

It is an excellent text editor with multiple ways to do what you need, whehter is programming or simple text editing. It is pretty well designed, I love the explorer being a part of the program, so I don´t have go out to get another piece of info. The multitabs function is excellente when comparing files, additionally it is easy to switch between open files.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately it does no support rich text formatting. It has some spelling weakness.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is the tool, needed for easy or hard tasks.

It has replaced the notepad to work with regular files or programming, it has the ability of opening large files. Makes programming an easy task.

TextPad review by Manuel A.
Manuel A.

"TextPad Simple yet Powerful"

What do you like best?

Textpad is excellent handling large files, where others fail. It is pretty well designed, sometimes you get more of what you expect, being accustomed to notepad there much more tools and ways to format. Another characteristic I like is its multiple tabs function, and when there is the need to compare files switching is easy. The explorer keeps you in the program, donig searching more efficient.

What do you dislike?

Probably its only weakness it is spelling.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give a try and you will be satisfied,

Being a consultant I am in the ´position of recommending the program to my customers, whether to use it as a regular, simple text editor or as a programming tool.

TextPad review by Amir N.
Amir N.

"my favorite editor"

What do you like best?

i have been using textpad for years. i am using it as both a notepad replacement and a programming tool.

the speed it handles any size document, including search and replace, has to be the most important feature for me.

ease of use is another thing i like about textpad, there is no learning curve.

every basic function is available and many more advanced ones too.

highly recommended for everyone but mainly for beginners.

very modest system requirements.

full trial is available before buying the product.

What do you dislike?

since textpad is probably the first software i install on any new setup, hard for me to think about negatives.

but, for advanced programmers who like automation there are much more advance editors that do safe time, but require a learning time.

could be available on more platforms other than windows.

more languages translation for the user interface would be welcome.

Recommendations to others considering the product

ease of use with enough powerful features for most users.

give it a try, small download and easy to install (or uninstall in case you do not like it)

replace notepad and integrate into windows explorer to easily view or edit any text file.

on top of writing code, i use textpad to process large text files, such as DB dumps, which is possible thanks to its speed while handling large files and the good search and replace options.

pricing is very reasonable for single or volume licence.

TextPad review by User in Research
User in Research

"textpad for physics"

What do you like best?

I like the simple interface as well as the light blue back space. I also like the window to window tile views. It helps when doing comparisons to codes or trying to find a bug in a code that still runs.

What do you dislike?

The search command-I dont like the short cut that is used for searching. It makes searching for things clunky because the first instinct is to CTRL f and you just end up typing an f into your line of code which you may forget to go erase later which of course causes problems in debugging.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Save your work as you go and use the window to window edit view. It is very helpful and nice to look at.

I use to to be able to "draw" new decks for simulations. Freedom to do so easily in a nice platform. Being able to have multiple windows open as well as side by side is a great feature that offers ease when working. Also, it helps that it does not take a lot of memory to run because I need my computer to be computing not trying to store.

TextPad review by User in Human Resources
User in Human Resources

"Text Editor With Upside"

What do you like best?

TextPad is a great lightweight editor that has a handful of really useful features that make it more valuable than say a notepad program. One of my favorites is the Find In Files search for locating specific data within files on your filesystem. I use that all the time to locate particular bits of information within a directory because the search is so well implemented that it's fast unlike some of the competing editors and it's even better than the built in OS search for finding text inside of files. The Spell check and Clip Library are also great features. I'll regularly use the Clip Library to lookup ANSI character codes and have used multiple languages in the spell checker which is a premium feature for such a lightweight product.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes with text the formatting can get a little wonky when you copy and paste if from elsewhere, which is a bit annoying being that this is a text editor, but that's really my only complaint.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I really enjoy this program and think that if you're in the market for a free way to edit your text with a host of premium features... this isn't a bad way to go.

I've used this product for years to great success as a replacement for notepad for quick edits and it saves me time because it opens quickly whereas more complicated office type programs can take some time to bring up and render what you want. It allows me to remove styling from text when I'm moving it from one place to another and the spell check is handy for such a lightweight application.

TextPad review by Paty G.
Paty G.

"Super handy tool for daily scripts"

What do you like best?

It has everything that more big code editors have, it runs fast and it's lightweight, easy to use and supports most programming languages out there, you can split the file view in parts wich can be really handy for large files editing.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the UI it looks kinda old, i don't understand Macros well, it doesn't support CSS files, it doesn't have GitHub or other SVN integration at all.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great tool for simple code editor tasks, it's well suited for C/C++ or console scripts in general, it can be a very handy tool if you configure it well.

TextPad review by Vijay Ganapathy M.
Vijay Ganapathy M.

"Easy notepad for editing your data"

What do you like best?

The block select mode in Textpad is like the most. You can easily copy and past the required content using this option. Also, the show tab spaces is really helpful while copy pasting contents from excel. Macros are of huge use when you want to automate the editing process. Once you set up a Macro formula it does the editing automatically for you instead of you doing it every single time.

What do you dislike?

The GUI is very basic and unattractive. It can be made fancy. If the TextPad community can post training videos on the various features available and how to use them, it would be really useful and many users will start using the product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want an advanced notepad then TextPad is an option to consider. TextPad can be used for a variety of purposes like to feed SQL batchfiles to MySQL as a Tool menu command, to configure Ctags as a tool, utilize Ctags to jump to the definition of any identifier, for editing VBScript code, to run Java programs with an automatically closing MSDOS windows, for document publishing with WS FTP, browsing equivalent pages on the web, using regular expressions for Pascal Compiler, supported with Latex and so on!

Textpad is helpful for me to solve reporting issues. It is easy to copy paste from an excel spreadsheet into Textpad and edit the necessary content and paste back the required data without any hassle.

TextPad review by Lucy K.
Lucy K.

"Great alternative to basic text editing tasks"

What do you like best?

Useful tool for quickly edit text files, it's a lightweight application for low-end computers, it have multiple options to configure it and you can create Macros intuitively for repeatedly tasks.

What do you dislike?

It supports a few programming languages, it doesn't have GitHub integration, GUI can be messed up sometimes, it's not free, the product webpage is very old and ugly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It can be very useful tweaking it a little, you should give a try if you are using notepad and want more options but maintaining easiness.

Quickly check HTML files, you can run it in low-end computers, it's a better alternative to default windows notepad.

TextPad review by Miguel D.
Miguel D.

"MS Notepad's Alternative with Syntax Highlighting"

What do you like best?

Built-in Syntax Highlighting. Powerful editing tool to replace your system's default text editor. I've been using it for about a year for free without any kind of issue, the software will always give you what you need.

What do you dislike?

Basic color themes for the GUI. They can be harsh to the sight, when coding, i like to have an eye-pleasing coding environment. TextPad has only one decent color theme for coding, the others can be an eyesore.

Making last minute editions with TextPad is easy and fast because it has plenty tools to work and get any kind of job done.

TextPad review by Anna W.
Anna W.

"Excellent tool alternative to others code editors"

What do you like best?

I like how fast and lightweight is, you have a complete set of tools for searching, replacing and refactoring your code, it's easy to configure it, it's well suited for large files, you can add extra features using Macros and organize projects folders.

What do you dislike?

It needs more integration with new platforms or tools like nodejs, jslint, go programming etc. It doesn't support GitHub integration and it has an old webpage.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's better than use Notepad, it can be a very util tool with proper configuration, it's easy to learn and it has all features for common editing tasks.

TextPad review by Carlos A.
Carlos A.

"TextPad, more like TextRad!"

What do you like best?

It's all about Syntax highlighting and handiness when We talk about TextPad. It's got so many features you won't ever look into MS' Notepad ever again. You can even develop you own Add-ons or use some from their site like FTP, CMD prompts and Java API references. Which is really helpful.

What do you dislike?

At the moment there's nothing I dislike about the tool, it could use a better add-on development documentation or a bigger and updated add-on market.

Doing minor edits with robust and heavy IDEs can be a hassle. I found TextPad because a Coworker and haven't looked back.

TextPad review by Jonathan O.
Jonathan O.

"TextPad is an essential tool for manipulating text files"

What do you like best?

TextPad gives me the ability to easily copy, paste and replace text. It supports unicode and other characters that word processing programs like Word do not. The ability to use regular expressions is also an invaluable tool.

What do you dislike?

The interface feels a bit dated and boring, but then again, you're working with plain text files, so there's really no need for fancy graphics.

I use it every day to create and manipulate database load files. The simplicity and ease of use allow me to accomplish this faster and without hassle.

TextPad review by Danielle M.
Danielle M.

"Better than notepad"

What do you like best?

I used to use notepad for short notes that didn't need formatting but it wasn't powerful enough. Textpad has better search, find/replace, and macro features and the layout is nicer. One of the nicest features is the cost - FREE. There's a paid version but the free functionality is more than enough.

Batch indenting and editing features are great, as are the customization options.

What do you dislike?

The layout and look seems to be from the 1990's. I don't know if it's being updated but it's definitely a blast from the past. The menus are a bit cumbersome, hard to find a lot of useful features without digging.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's free so try it. Better than your stock text editor. If you find yourself wishing yours had more power, try out Textpad! I wish it had a mac version, but for my time on windows PCs it's good.

Needed more functionality than notepad for short notes that don't require something like MS Word to do. It's fast, free, and easy and speeds up my work, especially when I go back to old documents and need to find something specific.

TextPad review by Jesus S.
Jesus S.

"Buen Editor de texto "

What do you like best?

La habilidad de mostrar estadísticas del codigo en el que trabajo y la habilidad de comparar documentos en pantalla dividida y el hecho de poder dividir la pantalla en multiples areas de trabajo

What do you dislike?

El hecho de no autocompletar las etiquetas como por ejemplo el codigo HTML y los atajos deberian de ser mas sencillos o con menos teclas y la interfaz de usuario deberia ser mas facil de localizar las cosas

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ubicar bien todas las funciones en la interfaz de usuario y considerar aprender las rutas de los atajos para poder lograr mayor eficacia y ahorro de tiempo en el trabajo.

lo uso para programar en HTML y CSS y con el area de pantalla dividida me resulta mas productivo el trabajo al ser de rapido acceso a diferentes codigos

TextPad review by Erika K.
Erika K.

"A must for your computer toolbox"

What do you like best?

TextPad is intuitive. Pretty much whatever I want it to do, it can do. And when I look for something in the menus, I can always find it without going nuts. Everything is named logically and does what you think it should. It actually surprises me quite often by doing something I need without my having to look for the feature. For example, when I search, it highlights everything that is responsive for me and lets me get a better visual picture of my file.

What do you dislike?

Hmm... it doesn't tap dance? Honestly, I can't think of anything I don't like about it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

One stop shopping - if you need to edit text files of any kind, this is all you need. I've been using it for a very long time (don't actually remember how long) and it has matured into a standard "go to" tool for me.

I am able to edit all kinds of text files easily and find what I am looking for quickly. I edit a lot of XML files and the ability to intent, and use word wrap is incredibly helpful. I'm probably not using a quarter of the features of the product, but it does what I need it to do.

TextPad review by Damian D.
Damian D.

"Notepad alternative with Syntax highlighting and other features"

What do you like best?

Been using it for months without a single crash or error. So glad i found a tool like this to make it my default text editor on steroids. Not looking back to anything less better than this one, and for free? They have me.

What do you dislike?

It could use some more classic and commonly used code editors color schemes. Like the Monokai one. It can be really handy if it had those from the get off.

File editing and anything like it is easily done with TextPad.

TextPad review by User

"TextPad to view code and make notes"

What do you like best?

I use TextPad when I need to read through a file that contains long lines of data that I don't want to wrap. I also use it to copy and paste notes. I review logs in this application as well.

What do you dislike?

When you go to search for a word and do a CTRL F, if you hit enter it goes to the first occurrence of your search. If you hit enter again, it doesn't go to the next occurrence but instead it enters a new line. This is pretty annoying that you have to use your mouse to click next instead.

TextPad allows for us to search through logs to find data.

TextPad review by User in Civil Engineering
User in Civil Engineering

"TextPad review"

What do you like best?

Honestly, what stands out most to me when I'm using TextPad is it's ease of use. This makes it a complete draw to me and it makes me recommend it to other people as well because it doesn't take long to learn to use.

What do you dislike?

I can honestly say that I do not know one thing I can think of that makes me want to say I dislike anything about this software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

My recommendations for considering textpad would be to try it out. It is so easy to use, that it is a complete draw for people.

I use textpad to take down notes. The ease of use are all the benefits you need.

TextPad review by Sylvia D.
Sylvia D.

"A powerful yet simple text editor that is suited for everbody!"

What do you like best?

I love everything about TextPad! It's a direct upgrade from Notepad and I have been happily using it for many years. In my line of work I have to deal with viewing many large text files which can be a pain to deal with sometimes.

-TextPad automatically correctly formats files when they open so I don't have to scroll horizontally to view all the text.

-It is easy to view row numbers which can be very useful.

-I love their block selection feature, which allows you to select data in any size block.

-Easy to import and export data to other programs (such as Excel).

What do you dislike?

Although you can download the free version, I don't feel the paid versions compare to Notepad++ which is absolutely free.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The price is a better deal for larger companies since the price scales better with size although it can be argued there are better paid alternatives. I recommend this for single user to small-medium sized companies since Textpad is easy to use and implement and can save your company many hours of labor.

I view numerous amounts of permits and code for the DEP (Department of Environmental Protection) and this has saved me many hours when viewing them.

TextPad review by Oscar L.
Oscar L.

"An amazingly clean and efficient tool for everyone!"

What do you like best?

TextPad is my favorite text editor of all time. One of my favorite features about this software is the ability to toggle row numbering. This is extremely useful when programming. When compiling and there is an error at a certain line, you can easily go there to fix it. One of the other favorite features is the ability to select text is block formation. I have always found this very useful when selecting specific text after importing data from certain programs, namely Excel. Also, there is automatic code indentation which can also be very convenient when coding.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing that comes to mind. I love all the features of this product which is rare to say. I feel neutral that you must pay for the license, even if the download is free.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Whether you are a single user or a large enterprise, there is no doubt in my mind that you should use TextPad. It has a large amount of key features that other programs don't possess along with a clean and intuitive interface that can greatly improve work efficiency.

I script in SourcePawn which is a sourcemod plugin for Valve games. My business problems mainly involve programming in which I spend an invariably long amount of time using TextPad. It has made me realize I save quite a bit of time scripting as well as debugging.

TextPad review by G2 Crowd User in Oil & Energy
G2 Crowd User in Oil & Energy

"Great Tool for Files too big for Excel"

What do you like best?

We analyze data in a software called BIQ and then extract huge csv files that sometimes need to be edited. Due to Excel's limitations, we can't usually open these files in anything but Textpad. Textpad has great search and find features so we can locate lines with certain data elements or locate data issues and fix them without corrupting the file.

What do you dislike?

When you do a Save As with a CSV in Textpad, it defaults to a text file (.txt). You have to remember to type in ".csv" in the file name when you save.

Textpad largely helps us with data issues in files that are well over a million rows.

TextPad review by Anatoly G.
Anatoly G.

"one of the best pure text editors for windows"

What do you like best?

column selection mode, regular expressions, powerful cross-file search, file dock on the left, binary (hex) mode

What do you dislike?

nag screen if you don't buy it, help could use some more work, needs a more modern windows UI

Recommendations to others considering the product

check it out, regular expressions are not trivial, but certainly hugely important if you work w/ a ton of files. Also check out macros, they are really useful.

if you need a super flexible and powerful text editor for windows (programming, data work, regular expressions, etc), TextPad is one of the best.

TextPad review by User in Law Practice
User in Law Practice

"TextPad is an amazing editing tool"

What do you like best?

-Block select mode

-Replace word or characters with "Regular Expression"

-Bookmark lines & then add, replace or delete

-Auto Save backup

-Multiple Tab's

-Lightweight program

-Transpose lines & column's

-Almost too many features to list

What do you dislike?

-Purchase price is low, but wish it was free

-Being so full of options there is certainly a learning curve to realize full potential

-Wish the FAQ and manual was more robust

-Plugin's & external tools are great but attempting to locate good ones can be difficult

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try, evaluation is free and you'll find in no time you can use it to solve problems you didn't know you had.

-Editing load files

-Checking load files

-Modifying data between CSV's and TEXT files

Benefits have included time savings.

TextPad review by Brian L.
Brian L.

"textpad rocks"

What do you like best?

best utility text editor. handles files of any sizes. very easy and intuitive to use.

What do you dislike?

hex editor is a little clumsy to launch.

Recommendations to others considering the product

similar to notepad++ but without all the bells, whistles and customization. lightweight to use.

replacement for MSOFT editors. doesn't play games and preserves whitespace. can edit any text based-file, even XML. search and replace is first class.

TextPad review by Raquel D.
Raquel D.

"A simple but essential product!"

What do you like best?

I appreciate the ease of use of the program. I originally started using the program to edit loading files for Concordance, a discovery management program. I felt daunted at the thought of editing any load file and previously relied heavily on my vendors to create the correct load file every time. But since using TextPad, I feel very confident to edit and sometime create load files on my own. The feature I like best is Block Select Mode, which allows you to select a block of text across different lines.

What do you dislike?

There isn't really much I dislike about the program. I guess my only criticism is that it has a very plain interface. However that is a very small issue to me. All the tools I need are found in TextPad and that is what matters.

Recommendations to others considering the product

TextPad is a simple but very easy program to use. If have to edit any type of text file, especially load files, this is a great program to use. It won't have the sexy designed interface of other program, but it gets the job done without breaking the bank. I highly recommend TextPad.

Like I mention above, I originally bought TextPad for use with Concordance, a discovery management program, which uses load files. I previously would depend heavily on vendors to either create or correct load files for my office. With TextPad, editing load files is now something we do in-house. It now only saves us money but it also allows us to pass that savings to our clients.

TextPad review by Internal Consultant in Human Resources
Internal Consultant in Human Resources

"Very friendly Text Editor"

What do you like best?

It is simple enough to use but provides some very robust features that make my job working with file transfers much easier. Love the 'column selection mode' so I can highlight values by column and edit them, this is very helpful if there is some extraneous data in front of my records.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I have come across that I don't like, there could be some additional features like viewing in Hexidecimal mode.

Recommendations to others considering the product

much better than notepad, but not as robust as some other text editors

I work with text data files every day and need to review and edit them, this product really helps with that.

TextPad review by Stephano C.
Stephano C.

"Handy alternative to basic notepad"

What do you like best?

- Folders Tree Explorer

- Massive Search Tool

- Free to use

What do you dislike?

No text editor themes available, there are only basic themes for the window.

I like to browse through my folders whilst clicking and picking the files i want to keep track or make changes on. This tool has helped me archive such task.

TextPad review by Timothy S.
Timothy S.

"TextPad for Editing"

What do you like best?

TextPad will load any file. It never crashes. It has all the text processing features I need. It works great. On windows it's always running for me. I love it, my favorite windows text editor and general ide. HTML, JSON, XML, Java, Text, Markup.1221 N Church St, Hazleton, PA 18202

What do you dislike?

It doesn't run on linux or mac and it has a popup if you haven't purchased it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Download it, install it, use it with text files.

You will like it.

edit files, big files, lot so files and organize them. search, sort and find what you need.

TextPad review by User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

"TextPad evaluation"

What do you like best?

Ability to easily manuever lines of code, input files, and text documents for simple editing

What do you dislike?

Interface is a little dated, has a feel of an order GUI

Comparison of analysis input files to investigate differences. As previously stated, comparison of files and quick file manipulation is the biggest benefit.

TextPad review by Narayan K.
Narayan K.

"Pleasant experience on Textpad compared to NotePad++"

What do you like best?

I like block selection mode the best on this editor . It is very intuitive and easy to use .Search is also quick

What do you dislike?

No wide variety of plugins like on notepad++. Its UI also looks a bit outdated on windows 10

Recommendations to others considering the product

go ahead!

Quick turnaround for log file processing .

TextPad review by Yaochiem C.
Yaochiem C.

"Super easy to use"

What do you like best?

Very easy to use, and simple in its functionality. Basic note keeping abilities without added baggage.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much I don't dislike. It is a basic program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's great.

I use it to jot down quick notes, and it's simplicity in load times vs Word are helpful.

TextPad review by Kevin M.
Kevin M.

"Excellent editor. Continuous updates for minor bug fixes."

What do you like best?

Simple JAVA editing tool. It is designed well. Excellent for teaching basic code development prior to moving into a full IDE.

What do you dislike?

I have nothing negative to say about it.

Teaching Introductory JAVA.

TextPad review by Darlene B.
Darlene B.

"Great Document Search"

What do you like best?

The ability to quickly and easily search in documents.

What do you dislike?

I haven't found much to dislike, primarily use search capability.

Search within any file extensions.

TextPad review by Vivek K.
Vivek K.

"goo to check logs"

What do you like best?

I use it to check logs. the search and hilight capability works just right

What do you dislike?

i cant think of any. The software works just fine

mainly to check and debug logs. this is a great tool

TextPad review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"TextPad Review"

What do you like best?

The ease at which it works across many formats

What do you dislike?

It is a little clumsy doing find and change I think

Recommendations to others considering the product

You will really like it

Allow me to view dump files that are very large in a readable format

TextPad review by G2 Crowd User in Information Technology and Services
G2 Crowd User in Information Technology and Services

"Textpad usage"

What do you like best?

Light weight and easy to use. Has some handy functions like book marks, regular expression search etc.,

What do you dislike?

Nothing I disliked. But support to JSON files will help

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it. You wont regret.

Handling large amount of data is cumbersome in excel. Especially while copying a selective set of data (rows or columns) - use block selection mode or booksmarks search features.

TextPad review by User

"Nice experience with Textpad (friendly features)"

What do you like best?

Easy to use features such as the tool box. Easy editing, find and replace features.

What do you dislike?

Can have an improved sorting feature. There are other software such as Notepad that have better sorting capabilities.

Mainly used for data storage, typing instructions and guidelines for software use. Easy to use.

TextPad review by User in Utilities
User in Utilities

"Easy Text Editor to Use"

What do you like best?

Text editor is superior to Notepad and has the ability to customize toolbars

What do you dislike?

No major issues but the program tends to get bogged down or crashes when the file size is large

This text editor has enabled me to manipulate data to make importing to excel a breeze

TextPad review by Jeng-Bang (Tony) Y.
Jeng-Bang (Tony) Y.

"User friendly and versatile function"

What do you like best?

Easy to configure LaTex for technical writing

What do you dislike?

Limited number of stationary TeX commands via the virtual keypad, requiring constant swipes to view more commands

Lightweight design perfect for portability applications

TextPad review by G2 Crowd User in Pharmaceuticals
G2 Crowd User in Pharmaceuticals

"The only text editor I've used for years"

What do you like best?

Loads easily,

easy to use.

can edit large files

supports your own macros.

Search and replace is phenomenal.

What do you dislike?

not much to dislike. I use textpad every day at work. It is the only editor I have used for years. it serves me well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

simple to use text editor.

everyday tasks when editing any file with text.

TextPad review by Consultant in Financial Services
Consultant in Financial Services

"Great text editor for power users at a reasonable price easy to use"

What do you like best?

price, ease of use, handles large files, spell check

What do you dislike?

nothing so far has all things i need in an editor and during eval no issues found price is right set up good does as promised

Recommendations to others considering the product

use the trail and compare to what currently using if better for the price payback immediate

editing large files handling text edit beyond notepads ability easy to use and learn

TextPad review by G2 Crowd User in Insurance
G2 Crowd User in Insurance

"Great Text Editor"

What do you like best?

TextPad is a fantastic text editor. One of the features I love is the ability to run macros against large text or data files. TextPad also has great search and replace functionality.

What do you dislike?

Not much - This software is free, easy to use, and not clunky like other text editors.

You have the ability to manipulate data from different sources which comes in handy for the type of data we have to work with. This software also lets us run macros against those same data sets to manipulate data.

TextPad review by Sαι S.
Sαι S.

"Best software when dealing with data from files"

What do you like best?

The User Interface, options, customization options, warm start, cheap in cost and maintenance.

What do you dislike?

Inability to deal with the XML files and also it doesn't have compare files option like ULTRA EDIT does.

delimited files, data analysis,

TextPad review by Consultant in Computer Software
Consultant in Computer Software

"Textpad review"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use when using textpad. When I need to create a quick note, it's the perfect app.

What do you dislike?

I don't dislike anything about it but I would say that it's not an application to use if you're looking to use a lot of customized settings.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommended editor.

Creating step by step notes for my users to resolve their problems.

TextPad review by User in Higher Education

"Awesome Text Features with TextPad"

What do you like best?

The best feature I liked about TextPad is find/search feature which makes searching C programming codes very convenient.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the memory constraints as TextPad can't read large memory files.

C programming for data acquisition.

TextPad review by User in Automotive
User in Automotive

"Spell Check of different languages"

What do you like best?

Unlike other text editors it provides spell check in many different languages

What do you dislike?

There is nothing more to dislike about this software, but the only thing is prefer less for this software is the installation space.

I use it as a plain text editor in place of notepad or wordpad and even for programming IDE

TextPad review by Mark E.
Mark E.

"Great product"

What do you like best?

The ease of use and the functions available within the program that allow easy manipulation of text based files.

What do you dislike?

I haven't found anything that I dislike.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try out the functionality and ease of use for everyday text editing

I am analyzing large amounts of data and changing formats between several programs.

TextPad review by User in Semiconductors
User in Semiconductors

"Quick text file view"

What do you like best?

It comes with Windows, preloaded, easy access and easy to use for any txt document. It has line numbers and easy to edit.

What do you dislike?

I have not found anything I do not like yet.

Comparing machine data. I found that I can compare 2 data files at the same time.

TextPad review by Deviprasad D.
Deviprasad D.

"Has been a very productive experience..."

What do you like best?

Macros...they make your life easy.

Compatibility with third party tools...It has got a wide range of compatibility.

User friendly...Very easy to use.

What do you dislike?

Keyboard shortcuts for certain tasks could have been much simpler than they are now.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try...Its worth it.

I was able to create Macros that help me increase the productivity in my day to day tasks.

TextPad review by User in Information Technology and Services

"TextPad Review"

What do you like best?

It can open big files that are not opened by other apps

What do you dislike?

I am not sure for now it has a version for mac or not. If it does, it is great

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you work with large files, you should use TextPad

I would like to use it to open live log files that sometimes can be up to tens MB

TextPad review by Consultant in Management Consulting
Consultant in Management Consulting

"Textpad is an powerful, flexible, feature rich product"

What do you like best?

As an litigation support analyst I use Textpad in ETL analytics process. It's feature rich functions allow me to automate cleaning data, and use its scripting functions to transform. Textpad is a necessary work tool.

What do you dislike?

I would love more unicode support in Textpad.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Install and use, you won't regret it.

The macro/script capabilities allow me to easily create scripts or code to master system environment issues. As an analyst I also continually receive load files to clean and load and Textpad is a great editor to clean these files.

TextPad review by User in Higher Education

" simplicity and versatility"

What do you like best?

Textpad has a simple interface which is great for many one off needs when developing code or working with data sets

What do you dislike?

Something i dislike about text pad is it could use some more functionality

I find it useful when i am transferring data from one application to another

TextPad review by User in Insurance
User in Insurance

"Using TextPad for developing websites."

What do you like best?

It's free and shows your recently opened docs, it also does some color coding.

What do you dislike?

There is no built in FTP and it doesn't predict what you are typing to make it quicker to code.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's nice for a basic editor but SubLime Text is more powerful.

It helps me to open webpages and make edits and save them in my daily work. The biggest benefit is that it's free.

TextPad review by Eric F.
Eric F.

"Consultant Review"

What do you like best?

It has great functionality. Very user friendly

What do you dislike?

Seems to lock up more on large file sizes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try.

Helping clients with their litigation service needs.

TextPad review by User in Financial Services

"Textpad review"

What do you like best?

Lightweight tool, ease of use, free to use for developers

What do you dislike?

32bit application. Would like it to be a 64 bit application

To view log files, csv files and to create config/ property files

TextPad review by Consultant in Transportation/Trucking/Railroad
Consultant in Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

"The best editor on windows"

What do you like best?

auto save and xml and json formatter plugins are the best.

What do you dislike?

I don’t think it needs any improvement. It’s an open source product.

Very handy when working with xml and json formatting

TextPad review by Consultant in Business Supplies and Equipment
Consultant in Business Supplies and Equipment

"Textpad user for longtime"

What do you like best?

easy to work with

Handles multiple files

search capabilities

What do you dislike?

If textpad is already open, and if i got to a file in my wondows folder, and open with textpad, it opens a new textpad. Ideally, I would expect to open it in the existing textpad.

Just wanted to work with multiple files at the same time.

"Simple yet awesome"

What do you like best?

Simple UI that gets the job done. It's efficient with minimal fuse

What do you dislike?

Dated UI look makes you feel like your still in the 90s

writing simple code files quickly

TextPad review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Legal Services
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Legal Services

"Simple, clean and easy to use."

What do you like best?

Simple, clean and easy to use, I prefer using this than the ultra edit to edit and view my load files.

What do you dislike?

Textpad doesn't support Unicode characters other than that its perfect in everyway.

TextPad review by Consultant in Farming
Consultant in Farming

"Textpad good for notes"

What do you like best?

Easy to use, never shuts down, nice editting

What do you dislike?

I have never had an issues since i know what i want out of the tool

looking at complex text, XML

"Great"

What do you like best?

Notepad++ is great & Confulence, JIRA we use

What do you dislike?

Source code control system that we use the oldest one

Its easy to use and no trainings needs

TextPad review by User in Computer Software

"feature"

What do you like best?

it can display syntax for most of the language.

What do you dislike?

should have more plug-in to integrate with application like salesforce.

integration

Learning about TextPad?

* We monitor all TextPad reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.