The Raiser's Edge

3.8

The Raiser’s Edge is widely-used donor management and fundraising product. It offers data maintenance tools including record finders, a mobile database app, and an automated deduplication process. The product also possesses fundraising tools such as email marketing, campaign management, and revenue forecasting.

Work for The Raiser's Edge?

Learning about The Raiser's Edge?

The Raiser's Edge Reviews

Showing 204 The Raiser's Edge reviews
The Raiser's Edge review by Peter J.
Peter J.

"Powerful Fundraising tool that requires in-depth knowledge"

What do you like best?

Re is able to capture a wealth of information and is quite customizeable to a nonprofit's needs. With a database manager who is adequately equipped and trained to utilize its full potential, it's a powerful tool. RE does have many plug-ins, which prove useful for such functions as prospecting, managing volunteers and setting up fundraising proposals.

What do you dislike?

RE is clunky and pulling reports and analyzing its data is not intuitive for front line fundraisers. Fortunately this is being rectified in the NXT module. Furthermore, integration into other workplace tools, such as Outlook, is not seamless, making recording actions and next steps cumbersome and redundant.

Re is an industry leader in fundraising CRM. The product is allows non-profits a central location to collect and record data relating to its constituents, from giving records, addresses, background information and more!. Furthermore, the product is hosted in the cloud, which makes it less of a burden on organizational systems and makes it accessible not only in the office, but remotely.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about The Raiser's Edge
The Raiser's Edge review by Abigail H.
Abigail H.

"My Frenemy, Raiser's Edge"

What do you like best?

You feel like a goddess when you master a task in Raiser's Edge. I have worked with Raiser's Edge for six years and feel so proud whenever a query, export, or report is run correctly. Mastering Raiser's Edge is like mastering a difficult equation or learning a new language. Once you unlock the peculiarities and mysteries of Raiser's Edge there are few limits to what you can do with your data. I like Raiser's Edge because I know it, and I wrestled with it and came out victorious, but it is certainly not my favorite database system.

What do you dislike?

The gray, clunky user interface. It is 2018 and I cannot figure out why Raiser's Edge has not had a meaningful update to its UI. It is difficult to navigate. The tech revolution of the past decade has swept right past Blackbaud, leaving stuck in the early days of the web. Adding photos or newspaper articles or links to stories should be so much simpler than it is, and are not easy to access.

The program is not intuitive. The program is difficult, and costly, to customize and maintain. Few people in an organization are properly trained on Raiser's Edge and the database, and quality of data, suffers. It is robust, but most of the organizations that use it only take advantage of a fraction of its potential. It is great for tracking fundraising but is lacking on the donor management side of development. Actions are often underutilized and puzzling to figure out.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Raiser's Edge will dazzle you if you properly train staff who will be using it and put the time and energy into set up. Like all fundraising relationships, this is not a relationship that can be rushed.

Raiser's Edge is a wonderful tool for tracking fundraising at large and small organizations. Once you invest time in setting up properly you will be able to track contributions across multiple years and campaigns, but it tasks a lot of work in the beginning to get it up and running properly.

What Alumni Management solution do you use?

The Raiser's Edge review by Meet C.
Meet C.

"Best FundRaising"

What do you like best?

It is one of the best fundraising and most popular tool in the non profit segment of the market.It is developed by blackbaud which has given a lot of time in this industry.This is indeed its best creation which is like a heaven for Non profit organization like us to manage fund raising and easily attract donors to donate fund.It is flexible and user friendly and can be customized to meet the requirements of any non profit organization.

What do you dislike?

It is indeed a great fund raising tool and no dislikes for a great non profit fundraising tool in the market.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend using The Raiser's Edge for better and customizable experience of better fund raising and donor management and getting the reports of the same very easily.The tool is very much user friendly.

We use blackbaud's 'The Raiser's Edge' for managing donations recieved by us for our NGO and also have customized it according to our use which can be easily done in it.It is best suitable for tracking funds and managing performace of the institute over a duration and get all sorts of reports.It is far more the best fund raising management tool.

The Raiser's Edge review by Michelle H.
Michelle H.

"Raiser's Edge is the go to Donor Management solution "

What do you like best?

Raiser's Edge is a top in the industry for Donor Management tools. I have been using this tool for over 8 years now and it's a fairly user-friendly system with great support available almost always. It integrates with other Blackbaud products. They allow you to run detailed reports and queries such as consecutive giving and lybunt, sybunt reports.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the information is not always accurate. Sometimes the information such as consecutive years are not as accurate as what's in NXT. The dashboards with lapsed donors, new donors etc are always off by 20 or so compared to the reports and queries. You don't seem to get consistent numbers across all templates and reports, etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Invest in NXT which takes the database and places it in the cloud and creates an intuitive, attractive and user-friendly platform. Utilize Blackbaud support and other BlackBaud tools which integrate with Raiser's including online donation forms on Online Express or NetCommunity.

Raiser's Edge has allowed us to keep track of monthly and year to date giving which has increased our donors and lapsed donors. We are able to use target analytics to tap into major giving trends and giving capacity and as a result increase donor giving levels.

The Raiser's Edge review by Lexi K.
Lexi K.

"Review of Version 7.96.6401.5"

What do you like best?

Raiser's Edge was created specifically for nonprofit fundraising, so for that reason the customization towards fundraising is helpful. The constituent profiles are geared towards tracking the person's giving, what they give towards, different types of gifts (such as pledges or matching gifts), which helps to understand someone's giving history and patterns. It also provides space for notes and recording actions that the fundraisers have taken with each constituent. There are plenty of other functions as well, so it is actually quite a complex software.

What do you dislike?

The Raiser's Edge is not easy to use at all. The version that we use may simply be outdated - Version 7.96.6401.5, but it looks archaic. It takes quite a bit of time to become familiar with the layout of each profile and where information is stored. The query, export, and report functions also seem overly complicated, compared to CRM's like Salesforce. During my time with my organization, we have made a couple of Raiser's Edge updates. The first was moving to cloud-based storage which added more steps to the log in process but allows for you to access the database remotely. The second is the implementation of RE NXT. RE NXT seems much more modern, however it does not have query/export/report functions so for that reason we are still stuck with the old version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

My recommendation is that you explore other CRM options before settling with The Raiser's Edge, unless they make significant improvements to their software. My guess is that Salesforce's CRM for Nonprofits is a better option. The Raiser's Edge is simply outdated and takes too long to learn.

The Raiser's Edge allows the fundraising department to track thousands of constituents who donate to the school and keep information on them organized. It also allows you to pull reports and exports of specific categories which is helpful for research purposes.

The Raiser's Edge review by User

"Like using a dinosaur to manage constituent data"

What do you like best?

Very little to be liked when compared with other software. However, Raiser's Edge's strength definitely lies in the area of tracking donor engagement and interaction. Additionally, from an administrative perspective, it is helpful to have the ability to limit user editing abilities depending on their role. This helps to keep data clean and editing ability safe in the hands of the correct people.

What do you dislike?

Raiser's Edge is both non-user friendly (requiring hours of in-depth training) and is a relic of the Stone Age. When compared to software like Salesforce, the capabilities of Raiser's Edge are so outdated and lackluster. I cannot even begin to tell you how many painstaking hours I have had to spend manually updating records and information in this system. There needs to be way more options for mass information updating to cut down on manual entry, especially when you are working in a large non-profit organization with thousands of donor records.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to follow the fundraising industry's standard for donor data management, then you want to be familiar with Raiser's Edge. If you want a more user friendly, cleaner software with more capabilities, then you might want to explore other options.

We lean heavily on Raiser's Edge for stewardship projects and relationship management. It is helpful to be able to run reports that show donor giving levels, custom attributes, actions, and relationships all in one place.

The Raiser's Edge review by Administrator

"Simple interface, perfect out-of-the-box solution for nonprofits, overall great customer experience."

What do you like best?

RE comes preconfigured with all the tools a nonprofit needs to manage their CRM data. It requires very little additional interaction to maintain aside from general dbs maintenance. Blackbaud does a good job thinking about what their clients need and focusing on integrating solutions that work.

What do you dislike?

As a daily user & dbs admin I really don't have any complaints. Feedback that I've heard from colleagues is that it looks so drab and archaic. Personally, I don't care what it looks like as long as it functions well & RE functions top of its class for any other similar product that I've used in the past.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's worth the investment, hads down.

We've maintained a version of RE for that past 30 years as our database of record. That means we are putting donor/constituent info in from various other sources and organizing/analyzing/reporting on that data with the help of RE and its various modules.

The Raiser's Edge review by Toni B.
Toni B.

"Couldn't do my job without Raiser's Edge!"

What do you like best?

Raiser's Edge allows me to build a comprehensive constituent record in order that I never lose sight of the whole person, relying on the many tools it provides to help me care for the donor throughout the donor life cycle. I couldn't cultivate or steward the individuals that support my organization as well without the help of Raiser's Edge. By recording all interactions with individuals, setting actions and reminders, I can acquire new support and boost retention of donors thanks to Raiser's Edge.

What do you dislike?

It is not as intuitive as other CRM softwares I've used, but it can be learned quickly and with ease.

With Raiser's Edge, I am able to increase donor engagement and investment in our organization in order to further our mission and cause.

The Raiser's Edge review by Jesse T.
Jesse T.

"An Important Tool for Advancement Professionals"

What do you like best?

RE is an easy product to train on. Onboarding new staff members have been a great experience. I enjoy working with our representative as well. We're looking forward to migrating to RE NXT next month. The customizable reports that have been built for our alumni relations team have been very helpful.

What do you dislike?

There isn't really anything I dislike about the product but I'm excited about the upgrades we'll have with NXT. In our business, where we host an event will make or break attendance. The heat mapping and geo-proximity features will be a big asset to my team. The reports will be much easier to interpret with NXT as well.

RE allows us to know our constituents better. It's easier for us to collaborate with our development colleagues through a history of notes of engagement.

The Raiser's Edge review by Jenny S.
Jenny S.

"I live for using Raiser's Edge!"

What do you like best?

I have used Raiser's Edge since 1992. I enjoy figuring out how to make the software work for what is needed and feel I know the logic of the software. There are so many different ways to use it. Each organization uses it a little bit differently but all-in-all it's user friendly and easy to work with.

What do you dislike?

There isn't very much I dislike about it but if I had to choose it would be the limited ways you can export proposals. Of course, I have figured out to work around this but it doesn't make sense that you can't export all of the fields available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The Raiser's Edge is the best fundraising product out there. There are many other sources from Blackbaud that are compatible with Raiser's Edge.

I am able to store any and all data to do analytic modeling either for immediate use or definitely for the future. By storing as much data as possible it allows one to see patterns and set them. It is a wealth of information as long as you are putting the data in consistently.

The Raiser's Edge review by User

"Keeps our client base organized, but can be glitchy."

What do you like best?

I like that it keeps our client base organized, there are a ton of options for updating each of our constituent records, and it's great for generating reports/summaries.

What do you dislike?

Every time I need to log into this system, I have to log in on the website, and then click raiser's edge, and then launch it from my download bar at the bottom of the site, and then I log in to Raiser's Edge, and it takes a couple of minutes to load - such a process. It also logs out fairly quickly, which is annoying as well. Searching for constituents can be glitchy as well, sometimes you have to type in something very specific to find them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It can be glitchy and a bit time-consuming, but I believe this program is worth it.

This program really keeps everything organized and consolidates all of the processes into one program - such as data, communication with our donors via email and mailing addresses for our newsletters and appeals, and any other reporting processes needed.

The Raiser's Edge review by Rebecca S.
Rebecca S.

"Raisers' Edge for Nonprofits"

What do you like best?

What I like about Raiser's Edge is the ease of which I can go from profile to profile and the Dashboards that I set up for my colleagues. Using RE and teaching the different functions to my colleagues is also quite easy.

What do you dislike?

Some of the reporting tools are a little clunky and repetitive. I don't like the duplicates that get pulled when I run a query. why can't the breakouts of the gift be in the same line, why do I have to use the Export feature to avoid the duplicates?

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure the reporting and the features are what you want. We also had to increase the number of licenses to allow the team to all use it without kicking anyone out of the software.

We are working on Donor engagement and retention in addition to using it for gift processing. We are beginning to use more of the functions within Raiser's Edge, like Actions and Attributes to help us with the increase in donor engagement.

The Raiser's Edge review by Tanya S.
Tanya S.

"Functional, but efficiency in data entry is lacking"

What do you like best?

Now that I've used RE for a number of years, I'm very comfortable with query, export, reports, building dashboards, and so on, and find these easy and great functional tools to use on a daily basis.

What do you dislike?

The way RE looks and functions hasn't changed significantly for at least a decade. There is still significant clunkiness in how long data entry that needs to be done on a daily basis can take - like entering actions and notes. Gift entry and upkeep can be cumbersome.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Shop around - there are more solutions now, and RE needs to know it has competition.

It has many modules that can be added on to enhance tracking of constituent experiences - volunteer module, events module, etc. It's not only a fundraising software.

"Raiser's Edge"

What do you like best?

Good database to keep gifts, notes, and notes. You're able to put in a lot of information about your donor/volunteer. I like how you can customize your letters and pull several different reports as well as creating mailings.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the system lags and/or freezes/crashes. It can be difficult logging into the database as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are certain issues that we have with Raiser's Edge such as not being able to log in or launch the software. There are several things you can do with Raiser's Edge, but it can take awhile to get used to it. I suggest taking training classes on Blackbaud to get familiar with certain aspects of the software.

Maintaining donors, having their history and you are able to keep track of them. You can also give yourself actions to see what is necessary such as a phone call, email, etc. Mailings and pulling reports are extremely beneficial. You can see who are your top donors from the years before to see who you should potentially reach out to for your next campaign.

The Raiser's Edge review by Katie M.
Katie M.

"The Raiser's Edge - Gets the job done"

What do you like best?

I use query's more than reports -- it's easy to keep them saved, the results come up quickly, no waiting like in other programs.

What do you dislike?

If you need to change a gift or send another acknowledgement letter, it's a longer process than it should be.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It gets the job done. I'm sure with more detailed training we could take better advantage of the program. For now, with a small officer and under a few thousand donors, it's working well for us.

It's a way for us to keep track of giving, volunteers, and keep important information. The queries provide the information we need to stay on track of our goals.

The Raiser's Edge review by Emily B.
Emily B.

"Your #1 Donor Database"

What do you like best?

Raiser's Edge has a tracking mechanism for almost any type of donor situation imaginable. The database is flexible enough to meet the needs of a small organization or a large organization with thousands of records. It is user-friendly and can be picked up fairly quickly.

What do you dislike?

Clean up can be overwhelming if a user inherits a database that many people have worked with but global updates can be helpful here. You have to take the good with the bad in terms of the wide range of flexibility in the database.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly suggest hosting your data in the cloud rather than hosting it internally. The updates are easier to implement and I have found between the two, hosting remotely is the preferred option.

The options are endless to meet your fundraising needs. RE has the ability for major segmentation and appeal tracking.

The Raiser's Edge review by Ailen P.
Ailen P.

"Worth the money if you have in-house expert"

What do you like best?

RE is a powerhouse, truly the best for relationship management tracking for fundraising. But you need an in-house database admin/SME to set up things, ongoing policing of usage and support.

You can track contact information, memberships, events registrations, appeal solicitations sent and a super robust structure for gifts driven by funds and campaigns

What do you dislike?

The current interface is archaic looking, not very user-friendly, certainly not your plug-and-play type of application.

It is pricey, about 1K per user license, there is also NXT, technically better because it is cloud based and has unlimited user license, pricing there is based on # of records in the database.

They still use Crystal Reports as the reporting export tool. The classic, non-NXT version of it, has very limited integration capabilities. This is a huge hindrance for non-profit organizations whose main function is not fundraising (schools, theaters, aquariums, museums)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Talk to other users in your industry, Blackbaud has a pretty wide community and most of are happy and willing to share experiences. Request their information from the sales team, there is a formalized group called Blackbaud champions.

We are all set and growing steadily, mainly working on staying current and efficient. RE can solve many issues driven from duplicate records. If user roles and security assignments are deployed mindfully, RE can be a tool for most business functions, this in turn, can aid the fundraising arm consolidate efforts and minimize audience overkill

The Raiser's Edge review by Amber M.
Amber M.

"RE decent but uncustomizeble "

What do you like best?

The reports are the strongest area of Raiser's Edge. There are so many out of the box reports that you can run to get information you need.

What do you dislike?

There are several things that are not great in RE versus other databases. First the ux. It is very old and outdated looking. Next there are several usability issues like you can't copy certain fields like the ID since it isn't text. You also can't use some of the standard keyboard shortcuts like Ctr+A to select all. These small things can really slow you down when you are working. Next, in order to search you have to select what you are searching for gift, fund, constituent. In other more modern databases like Salesforce you can search across all objects at once which is very helpful. Additionally, when you are querying RE it will often pull duplicate results. If a certain gift or constituent meets more than one criterieaon it will appear in the query twice. As such, in order to get deduped results you have to run a query through an export or a report so most data sets that you need have to be found in a two step process. Next, you can't add custom fields to RE. Instead you have to rely on attributes in order to add additional information. This works relatively well but it keeps the data segregated onto the attributes tab rather than appearing immediately where you need the information. Next, it is annoying that you can't upload documents and attachments to gifts. Instead, you have to put gift backup onto the media area of the constituent record. This makes it much harder to identify the correct backup document(s) for gifts. Last but not least this database is extremely expensive especially for nonprofits who this tool is catered toward.

We used RE as our giving database. We track all of our constituents who come to events and who donate to our organization. We have benefitted from keeping all our information in one place and being able to run reports to see our progress to date as we go through the year.

The Raiser's Edge review by Jacquelyn O.
Jacquelyn O.

"So little has changed"

What do you like best?

The options offered for event, prospect, and constituent management

What do you dislike?

Where to begin? I've used RE for almost ten years, and rather than pay attention to consistency across the platform and basic user customization options, like being able to ctrl-+/- to manage the size of the screen, and integrate the size controls for the cursor like every other Win-compatible program does, it remains, alas, something of a pig.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Proceed with caution and engage a GOOD consultant if you are doing a conversion. My org (Pasadena City College Foundation; I am a contractor) converted without the benefit of a consultant and the mess is epic.

There are many options for pulling data to a granular level. The query function is a blunt instrument, and export is unnecessarily complex. It is evident Blackbaud holds the end user in thinly veiled contempt.

The Raiser's Edge review by Chris W.
Chris W.

"Great fundraising database with a lot of capability "

What do you like best?

Raiser's Edge is one of the best fundraising databases on the market. I've used other databases for fundraising and development purposes and I will say that RE is way more complicated than others, Donor Prefect, for example. A feature that i utilized a lot was the notes feature. The database that I am using now does not have a good and easily accessible section for notes.

What do you dislike?

Raiser's Edge is one of the best fundraising databases on the market, however there are too many modules/aspects for smaller nonprofits to utilize without having a full-time staff member to manage. I also think that Rasier's Edge is a lot more expensive than other databases and it is not really worth it if you do not have a full-time, or at least part-time database position to take care of the day to day fundraising database tasks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend Raiser's Edge if you have the appropriate number of staff members to manage the database. I would say that is it way more complicated and less user friendly than a Donor Perfect. If you are thinking about signing up for Raiser's Edge, plan on dedicating a lot of time towards how to best utilize the database.

You will definitely be able to reach out to your donors a lot easier if you can learn and utilize all of the features Raiser's Edge has to offer. The batch entry feature is a life-saver and easy to use.

Administrator in Non-Profit Organization Management

"The Best for Non-Profit Donor Management"

What do you like best?

Raiser's Edge (RE) is a database that can hold everything you could possibly want to know and track about your donors. It holds biographical information, gift history, staff interaction history and multiple other pieces of information. RE makes it very easy to navigate a donors record using terms like Bio, Addresses, Relationships and Gift. Heading that any user can understand. I had zero non-profit experience when I made a career change and had to completely self teach myself Raiser's Edge. Three years later I was certified at the Professional Level. It is pretty user friendly for how advanced it is.

What do you dislike?

There are a lot of quirky things about the database that are more cosmetic problems than functional problems, but they make some areas of use difficult. For example, there are lots of boxes that open up within the database, but you cannot drag corners to make them bigger and see more/all of the available information in the box. You need to scroll up and down/side to side to see everything. This happens in A LOT of areas, and it so annoying. I feel like Blackbaud puts minimal effort into making RE better, as they are always so focused on the next thing they are working on that is going to generate revenue. For those who do not know, Blackbaud is all about the revenue, and not much emphasis is put into making customers happy once you're in the contract. RE is a great tool, but once you're locked in to paying, you're kind of on your own.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are considering RE, then you are likely a non-profit executive. Between Blackbaud and Sales Force, you really only have the 2 options. I do not know Sales Force, but can tell you that Raiser's Edge is a fantastic tool. But you need to be willing to shell out the cash for it and all that goes along with a relationship with Blackbaud.

RE allows you to track who's donating to your organization and who isn't. This allows you to make informed decisions on who you should be mailing and e-mailing during future campaigns.

User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"RE Useful for Basic Input"

What do you like best?

The batch and import functionality is great for getting every donation into your database in one foul swoop. I recently learned you are able to upload Org and Individual profiles simultaneously with Omatic (a Blackbaud partner add-on) which has further changed the game for my daily processes.

What do you dislike?

The need to manipulate CSVs extensively before import and then not being able to see errors in a separate panel is frustrating. I would love to see a more open ability to import from different platforms into RE - the process can tend to be quite manual at times.

Recommendations to others considering the product

RE is an ideal platform for nonprofits looking to streamline their donor data and communications.

RE import function removes the very tedious and manual process of hand-entering data, this saves hours per week allowing me to focus on the processes that are more key to my organization's development.

The Raiser's Edge review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

"Constant Crashed in Cloud."

What do you like best?

RE gives a centralized data system to store records.

What do you dislike?

Ever since the upgrade to Raiser's Edge NXT which required using the cloud, the main inter phase has been crashing consistently on a regular bases. It may freeze for a couple of minutes or completely crash to the point of locking one into their account so the person has to restart the computer to get back in. Also, BBNC is now a separate application so a normal day consist of going back and forth between 2 programs which require a login each time..

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do your research, even though there is issues still being worked out, overall Raiser's Edge appears to be the user inter phase with the most accurate and reliable results with data entry and report creations.

Raiser's Edge allows us to keep a history of thousands of donor's gift contributions, event registrations, and demographics along with alumni memberships, presidents associates, and ITC memberships. Before Raiser's Edge, everything was recorded by hand on long spreadsheets that took a much longer process. Raiser's Edge also allows for ease of checking work and reconciliation come time for audits.

The Raiser's Edge review by User

"Could be a little more intuitive"

What do you like best?

This program contains a great deal of information and because it is owned by Blackbaud (which buys up many other software programs), it integrates very well with a number of other programs, such as Financial Edge and Luminate Online (with the RE:LO, Raiser's Edge - Luminate Online, plug-in)

What do you dislike?

Merging records is a little less intuitive than ideal and the program is not very flexible. It takes a lot of work to keep data clean and working.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Customer service can be difficult, especially when you use more than one of their products that integrate as they tend to need to pass around your case until they find the right person to deal with it and can take a long time to get back to you. However, it looks like their Raiser's Edge NXT program might be a better model of the system than the 7.0 version, and will be cloud-based.

Primarily database usage - we track memberships, donations (each gift, which campaign, when received, what method of payment,etc), donor information, and more. With the program we can also create mailing lists and create reports to make decisions on future programming and fundraising.

The Raiser's Edge review by Administrator in Fund-Raising
Administrator in Fund-Raising

"Industry Leading fundraising software"

What do you like best?

Raisers Edge is robust, customizable, and overall works well. There is a tremendous amount of info and support available via the knowledgebase. Also the training packages are well worth it.

What do you dislike?

Event and Prospect/Proposal Modules are poorly designed in that they don’t rise to the same full record level as other type as of records in RE. Event module is clunky and not intuitive. Their cloud based hosting in incredibly unreliable in certain regions. Product updates for hosted clients are forced on them without allowing customer to schedule the update within a timeframe window.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ensure that you have adequate training for all staff as well as a dedicated DBA or Database Manager to maintain a healthy database.

It is an effective tool forctracking constituents, relationships, and giving history. The customization available via custom attributes is helpful.

User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Raiser's Edge is good.....but complex"

What do you like best?

Raiser's Edge is probably considered one of the best CRM systems for nonprofits in terms of the ability to generate queries and reports for both financial and moves management, However, at my organization, there are so many accounts and sub-accounts, and lack of consistency in how previous staff has (or in many cases has not) listed actions. However, after working with it for 9 years, I'd say I've graduated to at least an intermediate level and am able to obtain needed reports and queries.

What do you dislike?

It is not particularly user-friendly, but that isn't exactly the fault of Blackbaud (the company that produces RE) -- as they say in the computer business, garbage in, garbage out. I constantly have to ferret out inconsistencies when I run queries and reports.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The importance of getting training on it. In our case, we have someone in the department who is an advanced user, and has been able to set up templates that I use and understand.

In my case, I'm using it for a limited number of major donors. One use is in moves management -- the life cycle of donors, including cultivation, solicitation, stewardship and renewal. Another is financial reports, i.e. keeping track of funds raised for different campaigns for which I raise funds.

The Raiser's Edge review by Administrator in Hospital & Health Care
Administrator in Hospital & Health Care

"Good but not great"

What do you like best?

I like that the batches are easy to use to upload any information that you need- especially gifts.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the way split gifts show up in reports. It’s inconsistent and confusing. I dislike that receipt amount is not available for all reports and it is a task to get that information.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This program needs a facelift. The look is not very appealing. Besides that there are little things that become annoying such as split gifts and receipt amounts being shown in reports. Overall this is not a bad system if you can ignore the bugs that are not being fixed.

The benefit at the moment is that we have used it for awhile and all the information is there. It is to clean and check the data as well.

User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Good for big operations"

What do you like best?

Raisers Edge has a multitude of capabilities. It is a robust, strong database that allows you to do pretty much anything you could ever want to to with your donors, volunteers, and supporters. I particularly like the relationships, solicitor, and notes functions. These will allow anyone with access to know exactly what types of moves managements we have done in the past, giving anyone the ability to pick up a relationship, should it be necessary.

What do you dislike?

RE is clunky and can be hard to navigate. It's really expensive, and for the cost, it doesn't include training from Blackbaud. While the support team can be helpful, it can take days to find a solution, which really hurts when you're dealing with an urgent issue. I don't like that it's not cloud-based, and I can't access it from home or mobile.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Start with NXT. The online database is the future of RE and will be necessary for cloud computing.

Without RE or a similar program, we wouldn't be able to function. We house nearly 100,000 donor profiles in our database and need RE to manage moves and gift entries. RE gives us the capability to communicate with our donors in an effective manner. Additionally, RE is our institutional knowledge. We be lost with out!

The Raiser's Edge review by Richard W.
Richard W.

"Recently Professionally Certified User"

What do you like best?

Raiser's Edge not only gives you a clear, intuitive comprehensive approach to data and constituent management, it provides extremely strong support for any questions.

What do you dislike?

I do not like that only one person can be working in an event in the events module at one time. I also wish you could use a search function when trying to find a report instead of having to remember where you saved it every time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is an amazing product, just for the sheer fact that their support is amazing. They will help you work through any problem.

We can now properly track giving history for all donors and as we use more of the modules realize that less work can be done in excel and more straight through RE.

Administrator in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Some improvements made, but still very outdated"

What do you like best?

When they upgraded to the NXT version, the interface was SO much nicer and easier to use. It was easy to edit in real time and had the bare basics of donor information.

What do you dislike?

But the con of the interface of NXT was that it was really basic. Also, the back-end was outdated and very 90s programming. It was impossible to navigate through and you had to reconfigure from the back-end to reflect the front-end, which included inputting new donor or company information. Unlike Salesforce which outlines very well the interactions and relationships of accounts and contacts, Raiser's Edge was more of an information dump rather than a tracker.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend the Salesforce Lightning as that is what our organization uses to track donor information, relationships, and gifts.

Our nonprofit used it to track donors and monetary gifts. It was great for storing donor information and when you needed to dump information ASAP.

The Raiser's Edge review by Colin C.
Colin C.

"Fundraising made easy"

What do you like best?

Action tracking is one thing that I like. Actions integrate with outlook so you can how you're interacting with donors throughout the day. Proposal tracking is another feature that I really like. First, especially for capital campaigns that involve multiple phases and meetings or grants that require advanced reporting, one can track each step of the process and see it displayed in one place. You can see your grant submissions, thank you letters, reports, events that you've invited them to, correspondence that you've had, whether or not they got your annual report, etc. Second, makes it easy to hold fundraisers accountable for their systems of donor relations. Supervisors can assign actions and watch their employees steward and cultivate their donors while it's easy to take note of the meeting. For annual fund development officers, this is especially important because it can be easy to forget your interactions with donors on the phone when you are managing 1,000+ donors.

What do you dislike?

It is not the most gorgeous database unless you upgrade to NXT, which is very expensive. The interfacec looks like it's still using Windows 97. It's powerful, but a little clunky.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Think about if your team would be better off using a cheaper software if you have a small budget. There are other options for institutions that don't have 100,000+ constituents.

We are working to treat all of our donors with care. Raiser's edge gives us a comprehensive view of our mass appeals, individual actions, meetings, mailings, phone calls, etc.

The Raiser's Edge review by Jlynn F.
Jlynn F.

"Primary datebase for donor management"

What do you like best?

This is one of the top end products in terms of what the software can do. This is a great place to store donor information, write notes, share actions, create tasks, and manage relationships. I like how complex this system is and with training it would be essential to the workflow of any development team, or anyone managing relationships. It is very complex and to really utilize it well it will take staff training and ideally a staff member dedicated to maintaining data compliance, processes and procedures to maintain consistent and timely updates in a way that makes sense to put data. You need to have good reliable input in order to get good reliable output. Dashboard are helpful for "at a glance" monitoring.

What do you dislike?

It lacks design features, intuitiveness, and appearance. It needs an update in terms of the visualness of it. I also found that it crashed a lot when Blackbaud hosted the software. I did not like the limitations in working with email. RE really should team up with some user interface and email systems to really create a great workflow. I also did not like the way that it handled reminders and tasks. It really needs better integration with a calendaring system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They really do need to consider an uplift to the user interface. I use a lot of different software and find this the most challenging and least intuitive.

We were trying to have one place to store relationships whether it be with organizations, individuals, foundations, grants etc. This did this well. It also has a high level of functionality for being able to report out on data and to slice and analyze in a multitude of ways.

The Raiser's Edge review by Molly T.
Molly T.

"Database Manager"

What do you like best?

I feel as if it is very user friendly and logical--- if you understand it. It does keep donor information compartmentalized for categories.

What do you dislike?

Feel it's slightly antiquated- there needs to be improved functionality within the reports section to allow a more custom report that doesn't involved creating a crystal report. Additionally, the RE/LO factor was a joke. We had to use OMatic in order to get our Blackbaud products to integrate.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You must plan and MAP, MAP, MAP your data. In addition- if you don't have a strategy, this can quickly become an expensive address book. Make sure you need the the tools that the Raiser's Edge can provide and have a plan to use them.

We have been able to develope the RE system in a manner that allows up to reconcile with our banking records which is huge. We have also begun to develop this more as a moves management tool for our executive staff.

The Raiser's Edge review by User in Higher Education

"Not very intuitive or pretty to look at, but does everything I need and more"

What do you like best?

The scope of things I can do with Raiser's Edge.

You can track just about everything imaginable about your donors/constituents.

What do you dislike?

The interface is incredibly outdated looking and not intuitive to use or navigate. It looks like something out of the early 2000s!

Many valuable pieces of information are tucked away behind tab after tab. It takes a lot of clicks to find what I'm looking for sometimes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Raiser's Edge is probably the best bang for your buck as far as donor management software goes. It does take a lot of poking around and trial and error to find what you're looking for as it's not very intuitive as far as layout and ease of use go. Once you've figured out where things are, you can do so much with this software.

Recording data about our constituents and their giving habits and being able to pull that information into comprehensive and easy-to-understand reports is critical to building our solicitation strategies. Raiser's Edge allows us to compare many criteria at one time and interpret what it might mean for our solicitation strategies.

The Raiser's Edge review by Michelle H.
Michelle H.

"Raiser's Egde and NXT"

What do you like best?

I have used Raiser's Edge for years and now I use NXT. NXT software is amazing visually and it shows you detailed donor info in an appealing and user friendly format. It takes data from Raiser's and allows you to see it in charts and graphs. It highlights consecutive years and lets you know which donors to reach out to on a regular basis. Raiser's allows you to enter data easily while running reports and easily seeing online donations and entering batches.

What do you dislike?

The data isn't always consistent. Even when the data you enter in is consistent, it always seems to leave donors out when you're running reports on consecutive years or just running a list of donors. For example, consecutive years sometimes are way off and sometimes data is not accurate like number of donors in the dashboard. I've also noticed it will leave donors out a query like for our annual report even though they are marked as the correct prospect status like Leader circle etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Watch tutorials on Blackbaud website and Blackbaud chat support is easy and great. Their troubleshooting catalog is great also.

We have an increase in donors annually and an increase in donations. We are able to run a report of consecutive donors and give out donor recognition. With NXT we are able to sign in and immediately see who we should reach out to and who is due for a pledge and assign a team member to that donor.

The Raiser's Edge review by Catherine M.
Catherine M.

"Fantastic fundraising database"

What do you like best?

Easy to pull queries and exports that give you the data you need in a flexible format. I also love the "export to excel" feature in the giving history tab.

What do you dislike?

I do not like the fact that ticketing capabilities need to be integrated as an afterthought. Tessitura is much better at connecting ticketing and fundraising. Our organization is using a hack with TicketReturn which is horrible.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Spend time thinking about how your data will be used when you are setting up your input structure

Streamlined donor giving and biographical tracking

The Raiser's Edge review by Sara K.
Sara K.

"Need better integrations"

What do you like best?

I have used many different CRMs and still think that for many things Raiser's Edge is the best. Specifically I don't think that any other software comes even close to Raiser's Edge in the ability to segment donors,

What do you dislike?

I no longer use Raiser's Edge for two reasons - cost and the lack of ability to integrate seamlessly with other types of software. I did not like their donation page service, and ultimately without being able to integrate with third party online donation platforms, I could no longer use RE.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you like the RE donation platform, I think RE is still the way to go, but if their donation page doesn't work for you then using RE creates too much additional work.

Donation tracking, relationship management, donor segmentation.

The Raiser's Edge review by Administrator in Hospital & Health Care
Administrator in Hospital & Health Care

"Solid donor database"

What do you like best?

I find the software to be intuitive and user friendly. I think that it offers numerous ways to be able to store data, retrieve data, and communicate effectively with donors. I also really like the fantastic training that is available through Blackbaud. I find that really helpful as I work to create new systems for the organization. I also think that they are great at supporting their users. I can pull up the chat with support at any time and usually get someone within less than ten minutes. If that person doesn't know my answer, they will find it or transfer me within chat. It's been a great experience overall.

What do you dislike?

I think that it would be difficult to find the perfect software or donor database. Sometimes it can feel a bit clunky at times, and it doesn't always talk to programs that we're already using. However, there are some helpful plugins that make that a little more bearable.

We are solving the way to keep all of our donor information in one location while being able to track their support of the organization. We are able to produce correspondence from this to the donors, too. It allows for a more seamless and automated way to effectively maintain relationships with our donors.

"Administrative Assistant "

What do you like best?

I like that there are many different tabs and sections that you can store information. The ability to mark donors with different "attributes" is also very helpful in sorting and organizing your database. We are running off of an old version, but those are the things that I can appreciate about it.

What do you dislike?

I think that the query system leaves much to be desired. There should be ways to create event queries that can also pull donor information within the same document. I think there should also be ways to create exports that are more customization. For example, why can't you add date of birth to the export? Why are there not easier ways to pull exports using queries?

Recommendations to others considering the product

Update your software! I have heard that many of the issues we face when using our version of RE are improved in the newer versions. I believe it also integrates MapPoint, which for many fundraisers which is very useful. It could allow you to export a query directly to the mapping software. This is great for building trips.

I look up a lot of information for fundraisers regarding individuals in the database. I have found that this program allows me to easily access information. Event tracking, mailings, developing donor profiles, queries, general info lookup are all the things I primarily do with this program

The Raiser's Edge review by Kate K.
Kate K.

"Absolutly essential tool for any serious non-profit organization"

What do you like best?

Raiser's Edge has completely changed the way I solicit donors. No longer do I need to go through paper records, or an old Excel spreadsheet, instead I can type in a name and quickly see exactly when, how much, and what method a donor contributed.

What do you dislike?

The interface tends to be a little clunky and I have no had any success launching the Blackbaud Hosting via Firefox, only Internet Explorer. The time out clock also seems to be set extremely low, so when I find a donor then spend time with them on the phone, by the time I'm done I have to start the sign in process all over again.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are other donor management systems, but the level Raiser's Edge allows you to drill down, make connections, and store information about each constituent is truly amazing. We use this product for donations, fundraising, mailings, and most recently volunteer management.

Meticulous record keeping! As a 501 c3 records must be kept in case of audits by the state of federal government, Instead of thousands of boxes of paper, all records are in one place. Our Foundation team is only five people and in the non-profit world there tends to be higher than average turn over, we didn't realize how much information we were potentially losing every time someone left. With Raiser's Edge every phone call, email, and letter is recorded with the appropriate constituent. This is also a fantastic "dooms day" scenario. If one of the team should leave work and get hit by a bus, we know exactly what information about our best donor was in their head, down to her birthday and names of her children.

The Raiser's Edge review by Christie C.
Christie C.

"Classic, invaluable tool for development professionals"

What do you like best?

When used correctly, the database is an amazing way to keep all information about our donors in one place. It creates institutional knowledge, and allows for our team to keep track of what is happening with our donors to create effective, strategic plans for them.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how it integrates with Outlook-- it is clunky. Also, there are a lot of steps to create reminders. It would be great if it were more seamless. I wish there was a way to upload emails into the actions section of the database, so we don't have to go in and click so many buttons to enter in an action. Maybe there are workarounds I don't know about the software, so this could be limited by my knowledge.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think RE is essential for fundraisers and development professionals. The improvements Blackbaud is making to the software can only make it a stronger system. Blackbaud's support is great and their other products and plugins are great.

We are able to create clear plans for our donors, without relying on excel. The reports and data we can get out of the database is awesome. We are able to mail using the system. I also like the fact that everyone can see our notes and our process as we move along-- my team is linked in and is not duplicating efforts with donors. It allows us to see a snapshot of the donor in one place and see who they are connected with and who has reached out to them already.

The Raiser's Edge review by Laura A.
Laura A.

"Comprehensive Fundraising Database"

What do you like best?

As a Researcher I use The Raiser's Edge every day to compile and extract donor and donation information. It's a robust system that allows you to store, track and query many different types of data. We use many of the canned reports and also find the ability to create custom Crystal Reports very helpful in terms of planning for campaigns and tracking campaign progress. Blackbaud's staff are responsive and helpful when we have questions.

What do you dislike?

The Raiser's Edge has been around for quite awhile and the interface and usability look dated compared to newer software. The interface can be difficult for new users as it's not always intuitive. The way the interface is set up means that key notes can sometimes be buried inside Actions and easily missed. At our organization, users who aren't particularly tech savvy have tended to avoid using The Raiser's Edge in the past, which means there are sometimes gaps in the history of particular accounts or relationships. As an organization, we're increasingly embracing the idea of tracking actions and notes in the database to ensure organizational knowledge doesn't disappear when staff leave or retire.

Recommendations to others considering the product

First, The Raiser's Edge is expensive and may not be necessary or affordable for smaller organizations. I would seriously consider how comfortable with technology your users are, and what type of training they'll require. For medium and larger organizations, I would look into trialing The Raiser's Edge NXT.

The Raiser's Edge is our key donor database; we use it to track contact information, donation history, relationships, campaign financials, pledges, gift agreements, profiles, areas of interest, etc. It is critical to our organization's success in day-to-day fundraising and in campaign planning and execution.

The Raiser's Edge review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

"Fundraising software at it's best"

What do you like best?

The ease of use makes this product the best on the market. It's user-interface is really intuitive and it's flexibility allows you to provide personalized snapshots of info depending on a user's function. It is certainly the most robust software in it's field - far surpassing the competition in reporting, query options, and export features.

What do you dislike?

The historical reporting for membership information could use a lot of work. If you're looking for current member info, you're golden, but don't try to compare year over year member information. Getting what should be pretty basic info out is super complicated and the results tend to be pretty unreliable/inaccurate.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's expensive, so be aware of what your business needs are. While other companies out there don't offer the same bells and whistles, they may be enough for your needs. However, having worked in RE for a long time, when I tried working in a lesser software I was super frustrated with all that was missing in the other. RE is expensive, but it's so worth it in the long run.

Accurate tracking of gifts, as well as gift officer contacts.

The Raiser's Edge review by Katalin S.
Katalin S.

"Does MOST of what you want it to do...even if it isn't HOW you want it done."

What do you like best?

Raiser's Edge is fairly easy to use once you just accept that it has a fair number of limitations. Blackbaud's customer service has always been great, and the Blackbaud support community has pretty much seen it all!

I appreciate the number of vendors that integrate their software solutions with Raiser's Edge.

What do you dislike?

Raiser's Edge, unlike a database that you can have built-out, is very limited in it's available customization. You don't have the ability to add/remove fields from specific sections of donor profiles (with few exceptions), which causes you to have to be very creative with your data entry.

The add-ons are incredibly expensive for what you get.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'm not confident that Blackbaud will will become any more customizable as it becomes more expensive. They

We appreciate the number of vendors that now do business with Blackbaud, which allows for more integration with less headaches.

"Time for a RE-fresh "

What do you like best?

Raiser's Edge is most useful for recording and capturing important donor or prospect information based on formal or informal interactions. This helps an organization cultivate new and existing relationships with all current and potential donors.

What do you dislike?

Using Raiser's Edge can lead to a series of complexities and a trip down the rabbit hole. Retrieving accurate and consistent data can be difficult at times. Creating consistencies with coding, attributes, solicitation codes etc is a must in order to yield data that is actually usable. Raiser's Edge is not investing in new features to improve the product. It's been the same product for what feels like years.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Unfortunately, Raiser's Edge seems to be a dying product, as newer platforms are emerging, offering additional features to readily access the same information but in far less steps.

Information is stored and accessible all in one database. Year's worth of information on one prospect is all located in one main constituent record. Raiser's Edge allows our organization to conduct mailings to targeted demographics, and to identify key prospects for major giving gifts.

User in Education Management

"Raiser's Edge is decent donor management software."

What do you like best?

This program does most of what it's meant to do--it's good for keeping track of donors and most of the information we could want about them. The query function is useful. This is the kind of program that just has to do a thing consistently, so nothing really stands out as "best."

What do you dislike?

The NetCommunity online donation handling is a frequent source of vexation. Constituents enter their information with inconsistencies in form and capitalization and it takes a number of deliberate steps to prevent this from affecting their existing records. NetCommunity also does kind of a poor job of finding existing records to link, and you can't search for records or create records with proper formatting without exiting out of NetCommunity and coming back to it when you're done. It's tedious.

Also, the export system exports to a painfully-slow-to-access server that I must log into separately. I frequently just want a little spreadsheet from a quick query, and it would be much much easier if I could just download it to my computer, format and email to whoever requested it instead of having to download it from this hard-to-access website.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's fine. It's the most commonly used software for this and will probably continue to be.

When it comes time to send appeals, Raiser's Edge queries are absolutely essential to make sure that we're not wasting energy reaching out to constituents who are never going to respond to them. It's also nice to have the ability to save queries so that they can be changed and reused for later appeals.

"Donor Insights"

What do you like best?

I enjoy that I can see all Action notes from current and past employees to help get a full picture of a specific donor.

What do you dislike?

The insights provided aren't very intuitive to help make a quick decision on next steps.

On my team of gift planning we are using the insights from RE to find donors that may be interested in making a planned gift. We have uncovered some that have already left us in their will and are working to get true intentions. It's just a matter of digging through all of those Action notes from previous employees.

"Outdated product"

What do you like best?

I don't like anything about this product.

What do you dislike?

The number of buttons one must click to enter data in a tab like Actions.

The limited support available. They should force all customers to move to RE's cloud product if they're not going to provide adequate support for hardware product.

The query and report functions are impossible to navigate

One basically needs a PhD to use crystal reports

The database syncs up with Outlook only in one direction.

The events module is extremely limited in its capacity

The database is clunky and slow.

There's no ping-notification system for donations or sign-ups

There are a million more things I dislike about this product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Under no circumstances should you use Raiser's Edge hardware. there is a cloud-based product that is likely to be better. But it still can't hold a candle to Salesforce for donor management.

Track donor and donation data, including charitable contributions and moves management

The Raiser's Edge review by Administrator in Education Management
Administrator in Education Management

"Raiser's Edge is still the best!"

What do you like best?

My office uses both Raiser's Edge and Raiser's Edge NXT. I have been managing a Raiser's Edge database for 14 years now and if my organization ever switched to using a non-Blackbaud product i would seriously consider looking for another job. You need to take the time to learn and understand how RE works and I think that's where other organizations have problems. You need to take the time to learn what you're doing.

What do you dislike?

I really don't dislike anything. No software is perfect and none of them do all things exactly the way you want. I have never found anything with RE to be a big problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When you have RE and RENXT you have the best of both worlds. You don't have 2 databases - you have one database with two very unique views and capabilities.

I have always used Raiser's Edge so I can't speak to this.

The Raiser's Edge review by Administrator in Primary/Secondary Education
Administrator in Primary/Secondary Education

"The Raiser's Edge is an Industry Standard for Nonprofits"

What do you like best?

I like how robust and adaptable Raiser's Edge is. If you are creative you can find a way to do just about everything. We use Raiser's Edge for gift tracking, reporting and prospect management. We have 2 dedicated staff who focus on gift entry, reporting and prospect management to support a development team of 7. We also use Raiser's Edge in conjunction with other Blackbaud product like Education Edge, Financial Edge and Everyday Hero.

What do you dislike?

Raiser's Edge reports and exports typically gets you you 90% of the way there. It is difficult to create one click reports and analytics that development staff can use. It is also not the most user friendly for new users. For most processes it is nice to have a dedicated staff member to build and tweak reports and exports for development teams.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Raiser's Edge is a very powerful program, but you need to be able to dedicate the resources to set it up and maintain it. I would not recommend Raiser's Edge for small Nonprofits, but for larger organizations it is a good option in fundraising.

Prospect management, gift tracking and finance reporting. Our constituent gift records go back over 40 years. We have all the information recorded in Raiser's Edge including our old scanned files from our file archives.

The Raiser's Edge review by Administrator in Religious Institutions
Administrator in Religious Institutions

"Raiser's Edge is outdated, frustrating to use, and is perpetually behind the curve"

What do you like best?

Raiser's Edge is the best product out there, for a majority of the tasks faced by small and medium non-profit organizations. It is a very useful tool for membership, development, event, and finance departments, to track donors, members, event participants, and gifts. It has benefited from decades of development, and has a robust external market with consultants, plug-in developers, support services.

What do you dislike?

There are many bugs and issues with the software, and it was built on an outdated platform. The underlying platform is now at least 10 years old. In the far past, Blackbaud support agents would collect the bugs, and submit them internally for fixing. Not so long ago, Blackbaud switched direction, to having the user submit feature requests and bug reports, through the Uservoice system. Then, they decided to move to a "Community" system. All along, Blackbaud promised to fix the highest-rated bugs, and implement the highest-rated features. They have not done so. A few bugs here and there got fixed, but bugs that have been there for many years are still there. Most of the bugs are usability issues, that cause many headaches to the actual users. Most of the bugs are results of developers making poor decisions, and not fixing those bad decisions later. When Blackbaud does implement major changes, such as disassociating phone numbers from addresses, those changes are usually nightmares for the users. They are not well tested, poorly implemented, and done with little consideration for the end users. The bread-and-butter software (Raiser's Edge Database View) is outdated, poorly implemented, and needs a serious overhaul, but no plans seem to be in existence. instead of rebuilding their core software (RE, FE, EE, BBNC), Blackbaud has focused on building market dominance, by acquiring other companies. SInce BB has finite resources, the existing software does not get updated - and the new software (from acquired companies) - is either not integrated, or very poorly integrated, into existing software. Blackbaud should have followed their plan to build Raiser's Edge 8, but instead they focused on developing NXT, and the large-institution RE CRM solution. RE CRM does absolutely nothing for the SMB clients, who are still not getting their problems resolved, and are forced to work around the software's limitations, instead of focusing on their mission.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need software that doesn't require much customizing, and need a robust support department, The Raiser's Edge is pretty much the only choice. It's ready to go, with little customizing (as opposed to clean-slate products like Peoplesoft or Oracle). It is built for the non-profit market, and has had the benefit of decades of use. On the other hand, Raiser's Edge is very outdated, prone to unexpected bugs, many of which have not been fixed, and is frustrating for all users. Blackbaud has chosen to focus on acquiring its competitors, rather than focus on improving its current products. There seems to be no roadmap for bringing the early-90s software into the 21st century. All attempts to modernize RE are half-baked, and only serve to frustrate the users even more. Until the Raiser's Edge software is rebuilt from the ground up, and all of the reasonable feature requests are added, I cannot recommend this software as is. Sadly, since it's the most widely-used software, in a very small playing field, there may be no alternative. Buyer beware.

We needed to manage membership, donors, event participants, and honor/memorial tributes. While we were able to bring all of our constituents into one system with Raiser's Edge, it's not an effective system for working with each type of constituent. Another benefit we've realized is using RE as an accounts receivable module for our Financial Edge software. Doing so eliminated double data entry into our previous accounting system and Raiser's Edge. Using Blackbaud NetCommunity, we were also able to build a member website. While this enabled our members to pay dues and make contributions online, the convoluted process Blackbaud designed for these functions is forcing us to pay Blackbaud more money, to fix their badly-designed workflow. We are paying them to improve their own software.

The Raiser's Edge review by Abigail D.
Abigail D.

"Vast capacity even if there is some clunkiness "

What do you like best?

Raiser's Edge is a great classic database. Classic, like say, a '57 Chevy. Data entry is easy, there is a vast capacity to add fields and reports, and has many, many ready-made built-ins like reports. Day-to-day, you can pretty much cruise through all of the regular data management functions.

What do you dislike?

Cruising the boardwalk in a '57 Chevy is one thing, but maneuvering it on the narrow, snarling streets of San Francisco is totally another. Similarly, when our data gets complicated so does the Raiser's Edge database. My organization has many unique needs around relationship management, and though I can usually figure out a way to access what I need, it can feel clunky.

For example, when I need to use the data import function, it often takes a couple hours to get all of the various codes correct so the data imports to the correct location etc. If one piece is incorrect, you might have to start over completely.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Have a very clear understanding of your needs and how this database would specifically meet those needs. Think of a couple worst case scenarios in your organization and ask to see a demo of how the database would deal with those scenarios.

Also, make sure that you are committed to using all of the Blackbaud products if you purchase Raiser's Edge. They all work together (I also use NetCommunity, Blackbaud Merchant Services, and at one point we were subscribed to Research Point) and it's not easy/can be impossible to use other kinds of products with them. Sales folks will talk about doing a manual import/export but in my experience, it's very cumbersome to do this regularly.

We are trying to capture all the nuances of many complicated relationships and changing priorities through our database. My organization has definitely benefited from the change functions built into the database (like the ability to globally add, change, and delete records for example). Another example of this benefit is the duplicate record process that recognizes duplicates and allows you to reconcile the records through a merge process.

User in Education Management

"Raiser's Edge Review by Data Clerk"

What do you like best?

The ability to customize the data reports. It's also to look at each donor's giving history and patterns individually or as a larger cohort.

What do you dislike?

There is limited capabilities for customized data analysis without the use of queries. For those who are less familiar with back end of data analysis this can be very confusing. Also for some individuals they may think they have pulled the entire pool they are looking for but it is easy to inadvertently miss including a field that drastically changes the outcome.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for comprehensive income tracking for a nonprofit Raiser's Edge is a great choice, however it is not capable of tracking expenses. That being said if you are looking at tracking and the ability to analyze data it is a much better option than QuickBooks. It is also idea if you do multiple targeted mailings.

It is a comprehensive database for all fundraising data, from volunteers to monetary gifts.

The Raiser's Edge review by Nicole B.
Nicole B.

"Highly customizable - but take caution! "

What do you like best?

Raiser's Edge is a highly robust tool, with a lot of built-in options and a great capacity for customization. You can track ANYTHING in Raiser's Edge. There are a lot of ways to track the same information; just have a good policy & procedure guide to explain to new users (and remind existing users) as to why things are tracked a certain way.

The support team has really upped their game in recent years, and I'm able to find the answers to nearly all my questions through the Knowledgebase. On the odd occasion I can't find my answer, the chat support has always been able to assist, and I've always been pleased with their responses.

What do you dislike?

While it's highly customizable, you want to think through where you are putting information and how you will be pulling and using that information on reports. This requires a thorough knowledge and understanding of each tab, field and report.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's very easy to get bogged down in the details, but take your time working through configuration. Trying to redo or clean something up that has been done incorrectly for years is cumbersome.

We use Raiser's Edge to manage prospects, donors and events for a hospital system.

The Raiser's Edge review by Catie B.
Catie B.

"Powerful Fundraising Database and CRM"

What do you like best?

Raiser's Edge has the capacity to house massive amounts of data on constituents and when used properly, can produce output that allow for very high-level tracking, analysis, and pipeline movement of donors and prospects.

What do you dislike?

Because Raiser's Edge allows the input of such a variety and quantity of constituent-level data (in theory an excellent thing!), reporting can be extremely cumbersome if data input is not entered in a universal and well-thought out way across the platform. Obviously this is more due to user error than the software itself, but the complexity of the platform can be a blessing and a curse.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a database for organizations with substantial data to manage. A smaller non-profit or one that does not rely heavily on information-based donor analytics might not need--or even suffer from--a platform with the complexity and power of Raiser's Edge. Organizations that are more donor-centric, and/orwith larger numbers of individuals to track, however, can benefit immensely from the RE's powerful platform.

We use Raiser's Edge to manage and track all past and present Museum donors, members, and prospects, which allows us to report on and analyze giving history, event participation, stewardship strategies, engagement opportunities, etc. Without RE, we would not have a streamlined, accessible database of our thousands of households.

"Solid but Limited"

What do you like best?

The best thing about Raiser's Edge is that it's an out-of-the-box fully developed system. Blackbaud has worked with non-profits for several years and knows exactly what features are most regularly needed for almost all standard non-profits - so the Raisers Edge software sits almost directly at that sweet spot. Other solutions may require additional customization or development - RE is ready almost immediately.

What do you dislike?

And that's also the flip side - the worst thing about RE is that it's so inflexible. It's built one way and you can't really do much to change it. Adding a field isn't really possible, so as your business grows, you are stuck using RE in more and more outlandish ways - or finding difficult work-arounds that are time-consuming, inefficient, expensive, and/or unsecure. In an analogy - it's like buying a suit off the rack versus having one tailored for you.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Wait a few months. For a long time, Blackbaud was falling behind and not meeting customer expectations. After the release of NGO connect and other Salesforce solutions, BB has attempted to turn their service around. If the trend stays and BB is truly planning to continue growth and development, it's a worthwhile system.

Raiser's Edge provides a solid and stable foundation for fundraising. It's helped solved problems regarding constituent management and fundraising. We've realized benefits in particularly portfolio management (the solicitor system is very functional) and gift processing.

The Raiser's Edge review by Laura B.
Laura B.

" big and small companies can use software"

What do you like best?

As my office is not large, I need a product that works for us. We have a large number of donors but are looking to grow larger. We can keep the same program no matter our size.

What do you dislike?

There was no real training with it when we got it. For those not user savvy there was not much to help myself and others. It was a bit hard to get started.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great price for what you get. But make sure you have time for training.

It gave me the opportunity to organize and promote webinars and events. Marketing tools instead of just a list of donors.

The Raiser's Edge review by Alicia B.
Alicia B.

"Powerful Fundraising Database"

What do you like best?

Raiser's Edge has an exceptional amount of capabilities. The query, export, and batch functions are amazing, and those are just a few. The integration with Crystal Reports also makes it infinitely powerful.

What do you dislike?

There are a few detailed capabilities that are missing. For example, there are a couple fields that are accessible via query but not export, etc. However, these are typically only discovered when doing something especially peculiar.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Raiser's edge is comtinuing on a good path. The latest upgrade was a bit of a mess, though I think they've figured it out for the most part (we haven't upgraded yet), but the end goal with the upgrade was in line with modern society. In older versions of RE, all email addresses and phone numbers were connected to a mailing address. However, in the age of the internet and cell phones, these modes of communication have no connection to a physical location. RE has also launched an online element that is extra accessible on the web on the go, called NXT. I have no experience with this, but I would say that RE is "headed in the right direction" as asked above.

RE is fantastic for managing constituent databases. Major gift officers can use actions to track meetings with donors; appeals can be tracked so you know how frequently, and for what amounts people have been solicited, and then which they've responded to. The data crunching capabilities are exceptionally powerful, and RE also links seamlessly with many other Blackbaud products, such as NetCommunity, Education Edge, Financial Edge, and more.

The Raiser's Edge review by User in Performing Arts
User in Performing Arts

"Comprehensive Fundraising Database"

What do you like best?

I love RE. While it is a complex fundraising database and there is definitely a learning curve if you've never used it before, it has the capability of doing nearly everything you need to do including creating queries, showing financial and membership reports, profiling a donor with in-depth fields for information, mail options for thank you letters, and many, many other things. Blackbaud's customer service is also pretty great--anytime I had a question, I was able to get an answer, usually on the day I asked.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve. Because it's a very, very complex system that can give you data in countless ways, it can be difficult to learn. But once you learn it? Oh boy. It's great. I recommend using Blackbaud's support system while you are learning, and also take a class or two.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get training. RE is a complex system.

We have in-depth information about our donors because of RE. We also have a long history of each donor. We are able to query information and create lists and other documentation to help us raise more money by targeting specific donors.

The Raiser's Edge review by Alice B.
Alice B.

"Raiser's Edge User Review"

What do you like best?

Ability to track all data in one system. Consistent upgrades. Extensive knowledgebase and customer support. Modules for events, volunteer management, Everyday Hero, donations, emails and registrations. Great reporting capabilities. Security is robust for different user roles.

What do you dislike?

Having used other software (and experienced the frustrations and many work arounds to get at what was needed) Raiser's Edge has consistently delivered what we need. There are always improvements to be made but I do not dislike Raiser's Edge and find it to offer comprehensive solutions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This solution can be more expensive than others but you get what you pay for in terms of benefits to your organization. This software allows us to have unlimited users in many different locations. It also allows for registrations and events management. We have the added bonus of mobile pay devices and everyday hero. Raiser's Edge also integrates nicely with our webpages and consitiuent logins.

Donation and constituent management. We have been able to increase our internal and external outreach and communications due to this system.

"Raiser's Edge"

What do you like best?

Dashboards - the ability to look at projects performance through different perspectives and see how they are performing in real time.

What do you dislike?

Not very user friendly or intuitive. A lot of features are missing or flexibility is not allowed. For example, information in reports cannot always be pulled in the manner that it is needed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

RE NXT is a better product and more user friendly. It seems to be implementing more necessary features as it is further developed. However, many essential features still live in RE Classic, which is not as user friendly and sometimes does not offer features that are needed.

We are able to look at campaign/revenue performance and track it live, compare it to past years performance, follow up on gifts/constituents who are lapsing, etc. to help improve performance or hit goals.

"Raiser's Edge review"

What do you like best?

RE is a powerful and flexible tool that allows us to effectively manage all aspects of our fundraising office. Especially appreciate the customization available through the query and export functions and the granularity of tracking capabilities.

What do you dislike?

The interface is outdated and clunky, and not intuitive for frontliners. However, much of this problem is being solved with the rollout of NXT

Recommendations to others considering the product

RE has the ability to do pretty much whatever you need, but requires thorough training. Take your time, engage with the online community, and come to the product with a creative mind-set.

We use RE for everything, from gift entry and tracking to constituent bio maintenance to the full spectrum of campaign and major gift prospect management. We could not do what we do or be as successful as we are without this tool.

The Raiser's Edge review by Administrator in Individual & Family Services
Administrator in Individual & Family Services

"Main Nonprofit CRM for all of your needs"

What do you like best?

How user friendly it is. Especially with the reports/query options. You don't have to write in SQL to pull the clean data you want. It is simple equations that are needed and the data is provided for you and exported into excel sheets. The donor records are organized and a lot of information can be imported into the tabs which help the senior staff know more about the donors.

What do you dislike?

A few years back I would have said that it isn't cloud based and it is hard to add certain features. But within those years they have moved over to RE NXT which is cloud based and more options are available for the product. Like integrating their online email platform with RE and making everything talk to each other.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is the best CRM for nonprofits.

Organization of donor data. We are able to input all gift and bio information into the donor's record which is easier for all staff to see the data and for reports to be pulled. By having this organized information I am able to pull segmented lists and valuable information that we use to better communicate to our donors.

The Raiser's Edge review by User in Higher Education

"Complex and expensive - you need an expert"

What do you like best?

Raiser's Edge can do anything you need it to

What do you dislike?

It is complicated, and if users aren't fully trained data can get messed up

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend budgeting for extensive (and expensive) and repetitive training. Your staff will need to be refreshed regularly, and every new person needs training, or they will mess up your data. Queries can be difficult to work - merging queries is more complex than you'd think - training, training, training! AND - if your organization can afford it, have RE run all your software - Finance dept, online... everything. It's much easier if it's all unified.

Tracking

The Raiser's Edge review by Sydney G.
Sydney G.

"Lots of great resources but not very user friendly "

What do you like best?

I like the amount of information that RE can hold and the reports that it can generate

What do you dislike?

It is not very user friendly, and while it holds a lot of information, it can be tricky to make sure that everything is consistent across the board, especially if more than one person is entering in the information.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take adequate training to be able to fully use all the features

Keeping track of donor information

The Raiser's Edge review by User in Higher Education

"Super easy to use but expensive "

What do you like best?

RE has a place for just about any piece of information, and if there isn't a field pre-designed for the purpose, many fields can be re-purposed and it allows you to track information about your constituents to make sure you correctly communicating with them. It also integrates with Microsoft pretty well. I love how you can export data quickly but also easily. When I first started using it I was able to figure it out as I went without any formal training, so I can't say enough about how user friendly it is.

What do you dislike?

I wouldn't say I dislike it exactly but even though there are a lot of fields for any kind of information you would want to add on a constituent, and sometimes it's hard to find and remember where each field is. It's also pretty pricey. We want to move to the next level but it is kind of impossible for our budget. I don't know how some non-profits afford this honestly. The query tool could be improved as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

While great, it is expensive, and sometimes I think a lot of people have to settle for something else and they dont get the chance to use RE OR everything RE can offer-it comes with a pretty hefty price. The query function does need improvement but that's something I think will come with time. It is great exporting data, and just really functional with Microsoft. I would recommend it but can't wait to see some of the improvements and maybe one day use the next level if we could ever afford it.

We are solving how we store our constituents and how we communicate with them. We use RE as a way to organize it for our fundraisers or even to our admin working to find as much information as possible on someone.

User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Raiser's Edge is the best donor management software out there."

What do you like best?

There are so many things you can do in Raiser's Edge. The donor profiles are all-encompassing, and the reporting options are never-ending.

What do you dislike?

It's not as user friendly as others out there, and does take some training to fully understand the capabilities. It's also fairly pricey compared to other options, but you get what you pay for.

Recommendations to others considering the product

RE offers the best combination of non-profit tracking needs. From donors to alumni to volunteers and everything in between, and you can report on virtually any data field in the system. It's well worth the cost if you can budget for it.

I've used it to manage mailing lists, track actions taken with donors, and report on donor history, among a million other things.

The Raiser's Edge review by Ashley K.
Ashley K.

"The Raiser's Edge Revoew"

What do you like best?

Functionality as a database, relatively easy to use once you understand all the areas of the program. Ability to pull data.

What do you dislike?

Crashing queries when data criteria is too specific or pulling from too large a data source.

Allows our non-profit to fundraise and identify high-level donors while also segmenting out for various criteria.

The Raiser's Edge review by Stephanie U.
Stephanie U.

"Raiser's Edge: multi-functionality"

What do you like best?

The comprehensive package from Blackbaud for the Raiser's Edge cannot be matched my any other vendor. Not only does the product work well in the cloud environment, but the support team for questions and their continued interest in making their knowledgebase better is great.

What do you dislike?

The cost is prohibitive for many non-profit organizations. But the overall time saving functionality is worth it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Speak with users about the product, what you are interested in doing with it and consider your needs and the needs of your organization.

We are solving ways to track our interactions with our constituency base. By using the Raiser's Edge, we have been able to implement and refine methods that work for our organization. With the flexibility that the product offers, we can adapt our methods to changing benchmarks within our area.

The Raiser's Edge review by Solange K. R. C.
Solange K. R. C.

"It’s acceptable but has room for improvement "

What do you like best?

The functionality of the system.

While it does not incorporate all

Functionalities for all

Processes it does aid tremendously with gift processing

What do you dislike?

It’s very limited in scope. It is not as user friendly as other systems such a as Blackbaud CRM

Gift processing. Provides a centralized system for fundraising, stewardship and processsing

The Raiser's Edge review by Jackie A.
Jackie A.

"Blackbaud--Constantly on Your Side"

What do you like best?

Blackbaud is a nonprofit software company, their hallmark product is RE...and for good reason! It is a fantastic CRM and can really help with the constituent management produce. The best part is that support is always fantastic, even when I don't have the right words, they try to understand me and find a solution. Blackbaud is truly invested in your success and seeing the mission of the nonprofit community achieved.

What do you dislike?

There is a huge learning curve and it is pricey...but you know the old saying, "You get what you pay for."

Recommendations to others considering the product

Raiser's Edge is, hands down, the best in class CRM for nonprofits and fundraising!

Constituent management! Moving constituent from prospect to donor...and keeping track of dozens of donors/constituents!

Administrator in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Amazing tool for fundraising professionals."

What do you like best?

The ability to track our constituents at a very detailed level from their giving interests to events that they have attended. Which in return creates a story about our relationship with our donors.

What do you dislike?

As with any database, queries and reports can be complicated but that being said it is pretty intuitive comparatively.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your choose RE, be sure to invest wisely in training and education so you use this product to its fullest capacity.

The ability to better track our donors which in return helps us create a better relationship with our constituents.

Administrator in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Flaw in Raisers Edge File Structure"

What do you like best?

Several key features are extremely helpful. Batch entry process is very useful to us, action chains work to some degree and the reports work decently.

What do you dislike?

Basic silo file structure is flawed: this is not a true relational database. Each module is built as a silo, with a one-to-one relationship between the constituent record and the other gift/event/membership modules, not a one-to-many between the constituent record and other modules. You can build all of the DOS-based and/or queries you want, but the only option for turning it out into a list without duplicates is a query list, which literally only allows fields for name/address. No email, no phone, no summary of last year's gifts, no field for last year's gift total, no field for how they are to be recognized for their gifts, no field for the last event they attended. Literally only the name and address fields. You can't even sort the query list by last name alpha or zip without exporting it. I have yet to discover either a salesperson or a support person with a history of using the product on a daily basis before joining the team, which likely explains why nothing is intuitive and bells and whistles work while the flaws in the most basic requirements cannot be addressed. (Picture a meeting where a head programmer asked me why we would need more than name/address in a final de-duped list, and what field would that be that I would require...) I have built work-arounds for nearly every process that would have been a simple step in an Access database, but is multiple manual steps in RE. It astonishes me that more people do not complain about its lack of functionality... Appears it is the Emperor with No Clothes. I have been on perhaps a dozen different fundraising software systems over a couple of decades, and there are few good ones. Any that have shown promise have been purchased by Blackbaud and killed off. Time some people admit that Raisers Edge has very low functionality, is not configurable and is very slow to catch up to new technology. This is not a good fundraising software solution, especially for the price.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't do it. Find a software that focuses on functionality, has a history of staying relevant, and that is determined not to allow itself to be bought by Blackbaud.

Batch entry. Thank you letter integration process. Endless attribute possibilities, by gift or constituent. Detailed archived information.

The Raiser's Edge review by User in Higher Education

"One-stop shop for managing donations and donor information "

What do you like best?

I like how much information is stored in the database. We can track which events a donor attended, which emails they read, or which solicitations they responded to.

What do you dislike?

Since our database is hosted the database can occasionally shut down or be very slow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend that they purchase the additional modules that are applicable to their organization. We enjoy using online express and the events module.

Since our database is hosted it keeps our donor information secure against theft and free's up space on our computers.

The Raiser's Edge review by Jana G.
Jana G.

"9 years experience with RE, multiple implementations, professional level certification (bCRE-Pro)."

What do you like best?

A well designed RE system makes processes more efficient, accurate, and scalable. It also makes it much easier to leverage your data for improved communications that are extremely targeted and timely. Basic reporting and dashboards are easy to create and understand. Integration between event management, volunteer tracking, donors, funds, and other relevant data makes it easy to schedule and manage workflows as well as mine useful data. The new RE NXT version is definitely going in the right direction for (even non-technical) staff in the field as far as usability and intuitive interface.

What do you dislike?

The main drawback for Raiser's Edge is the pricing, it's a bit more expensive than other comparable software out there. However if you are looking at ROI, the functionality more than makes up for it if you utilize additional features and modules (such as integrated online forms, mass email, and event management). For organizations that are moving towards integration with other enterprise systems, the import feature leaves much to be desired and thus far Blackbaud has not really addressed that issue except to partner with Import-Omatic to offer an import plug-in, which is pretty expensive . If your product is hosted the queue (automated reporting feature) doesn't work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

One thing to really consider when purchasing enterprise systems like this is the level at which you would like to see your team and efforts performing. Consider a big picture scenario of the functionality and relationship management which you would prefer to see, not just replacing the functionality which currently exists. My first implementation with RE began with just looking for a replacement gift processing/donor management system with 5 active users. Within 4 years, we had over 30 users across the college (including the Presidents Office, Deans, Athletics, etc) using the prospect management and event management modules. Some of our training departments began scheduling their continuing education courses online and communicating with their alumni through the NetCommunity module. Our Alumni Relations department all became users and managed all of their meetings, events, and communications through RE. Everywhere I've used it, we have been able to configure and customize it to provide integrated communications and management of our constituents across multiple departments (which is a feat in itself since separate departments within higher education institutions traditionally operate very independently of each other and don't always like to share data).

This system has proved very effective at providing real time campaign and gift reporting. We have almost completely automated complex reporting tasks such as VSE, Audits, Year End and Annual Reports. We have easily segmented mailings to send targeted messages to alumni, donors, and supporters. Moves management using Action Tracks and goal setting for solicitors increases efficiency and makes setting metrics (as well as reporting on them) a breeze. One of the best benefits is centralized access to current data and upcoming scheduled task for all staff, so if you have staff illness or turnover, the organization doesn't drop the ball on upcoming commitments, you also don't need to start completely over with cultivation efforts when this occurs. RE has had a very beneficial impact on relationship management.

The Raiser's Edge review by User

"Regular user since 2012; sporadic user between 2003 and 2008"

What do you like best?

I've been in fundraising for 15 years, and I used RE at my first job and at my current job. At the other job, we used a proprietary software. Even though I haven't used RE's competitor programs, I can't imagine a more powerful system for constituent relationship management.

What do you dislike?

You can (and people do) build careers as RE professionals, which is to say it's COMPLICATED and not easy to learn.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't mess around with cheaper systems. Just use this one. It's complicated but powerful and, with NXT, becoming even more so.

We use RE (and RENXT) to manage 35,000 individual and organizational records. The benefit of the system is that it supports relationship development with these individual constituents.

The Raiser's Edge review by Administrator in Fund-Raising
Administrator in Fund-Raising

"Raiser's Edge - The Lifeline of your NFP"

What do you like best?

The ease of use. Once you are familiar with the software, you are good. it is a fairly malleable product and you can make it fit many different types of NFPs

What do you dislike?

Various patch updates that can damage your database

Recommendations to others considering the product

This really can be an all needs met piece of software. With the appropriate training and a hands on administrator, you should be able to manage your donors through phone calls, actions, visits, letters, appeals, campaigns, know their likes, dislikes, birth dates, children, spouses friends, friends of friends.... The fact that there are modules to add on to this, only makes it better. Track your emails with NetCommunity, easily accept online donations. The list goes on.

With RE on our own sql server, we are able to readily access via RE:Anywhere, RE:Mobile, REEvents, and RE:Mobile pay. The whole suite is just a life saver when it comes to Donor Management and Fundraising

The Raiser's Edge review by Brandi L.
Brandi L.

"Raiser Edge - Bulky but good"

What do you like best?

You can find all kinds of information in Raiser's Edge if you know what you are looking to find.

What do you dislike?

It is hard to identify constituent data and import mass amounts of lists at once.

It also takes a long time to load/sign-in.

It provides a good CRM and financial management that we need to track all of our fundraising/donors.

The Raiser's Edge review by Administrator in Computer Software

"A boat that should sink, but somehow floats"

What do you like best?

Raiser's Edge is old, but that also means it's been around long enough to know what fundraisers need out of a constituent database. It's a robust piece of software that can serve very nearly every need we have.

What do you dislike?

Although Raiser's Edge has the experience to serve every need we have, it does not do it well. It's a broken, outdated, and unintuitive piece of software. It's user interface, code, and shell structure is all 10+ years out of date.

Recommendations to others considering the product

One of the benefits to having worked at Blackbaud and having colleagues in the software development world is that I have an idea of where industry trends are heading. Blackbaud has been the only one in the non-profit business for a long time, but that's starting to change. They've bought up all of their competition, so there's a giant hole for other software developers to jump into, and they are.

Here in Indianapolis alone, there are two prominent software companies preparing their own constituent management database for non-profits. RE NXT shows that Blackbaud can't keep up with these new businesses who are on the leading edge of software development, customer service, and easy to use software.

When I worked for Blackbaud, we often took for granted that most fundraisers aren't computer experts, and the user interface of their products reflects that. To these users, I'd say hold off on Blackbaud and give their competitors serious consideration.

We use Raiser's Edge to track everything. Our goal is to be able to paint of portrait of the Foundation, our donors, and our campaigns so that anyone looking, no matter their tenure, has the knowledge of a seasoned veteran.

"Raiser's Edge 7 Review"

What do you like best?

1. Functionality.

2. Variety of ways in which the data can be stored.

3. Richness in terms of the number of modules, plugins etc.

What do you dislike?

1. Proves to be clunky at times.

2. Some simple issues that do not have a solution.

3. It's outdatedness and old-fashioned interface.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's clunkiness and the fact that the organisation will probably need a highly experienced RE administrator to manage the database. It is not user friendly for less experienced staff members.

Storing donor data and recording people's connections: works fine if there's an allocated data person to deal with all the issues and updates.

Segmenting the data and pulling it out for mailings: works okay, again, if there's a highly skilled and experienced RE database professional available. Otherwise, would be tricky, confusing for anyone else in the team to take on this task.

Recording donor gifts: works fine if there's an allocated data person to deal with all the issues and updates.

"Donor Information Manager"

What do you like best?

It's user-friendly and it has most everything we need to track our donors and donations. Great customer service and lots of product options/modules. And since it's widely-used, you can find other companies in your area that also use it and help each other as needed.

What do you dislike?

There are a few things that you wish it could do, but can't. Nothing huge, but just a different way to run a report. Also, integrating with outside vendors it's always easy. If you have a 3rd party vendor run an alumni search for you, Blackbaud doesn't always make it easy to upload the results into Raiser's Edge (they want you to use their products).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely reach out to Blackbaud to discuss your options - within Raiser's Edge there are lots of products! I have used Raiser's Edge at a small not-for-profit, large hospital foundation and 2 private high schools, and at all three, I used it in slightly different ways. Ask Blackbaud to refer you to a few companies that are similar to you. Also, check Facebook - there is a Raiser's Edge group that you can join/ask questions and there might even be a local group as well.

Historically we haven't kept great records of our alumni - with the help of Raiser's Edge and other Blackbaud products, we are better to able to find them and then of course fold them into our donor database. It also helps with donor clean-up and organization. And once a year, for free, Blackbaud will run a check-up on your data to see how you're doing and what areas you need improvement in.

"Using RE Fulltime"

What do you like best?

The Raiser’s Edge is a Cadillac CRM solution. It is full-featured and extendable with optional modules. It includes hundreds of standard reports and integrates with Word and Excel. Importing from CSV files is inherent to the program. Support is terrific.

What do you dislike?

It's expensive, both to purchase and maintain. The program has been around for decades, and the user interface reflects that. It's rather complex for a more casual user, an alumni director or annual fund coordinator, for example, to generate constituent lists themselves. [That said, I am looking forward to upgrading to RE NXT.}

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're considering a Blackbaud's product, definitely look at RE NXT. If possible, attend BBCON 2016 (October 26-28 in National Harbor, MD) for the opportunity to speak with users in whatever field you're in.

RE is the primary tool we use to manage our constituent records and relationships, donations, interests, etc. We use campaigns, funds, appeals, and packages to define gifts; this granularity allows meaningful reporting and assessment.

The Raiser's Edge review by User in Higher Education

"Raiser's Edge Keeps Fundraising Running Smoothly"

What do you like best?

I like that I can keep everything about my constituents in one place - whether they are an employee donor, major contributor, or event attendee. Evertyhing in one place makes my job more efficient and helps me stay organized.

What do you dislike?

Our organization uses this software for 14 different regions. Sometimes there is overlap with constituents, and it can be difficult to access donors that you share. Also, the letter creation software seems a little clunky. I think this is a powerful tool for my office and would love to see added features and ease.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think Raiser's Edge is an extremely powerful tool - from the ease of keeping track of your donors and events, to the types of reports and queries you can pull. It does require some training on the advanced features, so I would recommend taking advantage of any webinars and knowledgebase answers that are provided.

Using Raiser's Edge helps us keep track of our metrics statewide, which we are scored on. It also allows others in our organization not directly in the Foundation office input their actions - solicitations, cultivations, etc. and this portion is extremely beneficial for our organization. Prior to this, we would keep track on paper forms, which was time consuming and due to time contstraints was not always done.

User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Easy to Learn Software "

What do you like best?

As one of the first fundraising softwares I have used, I've found The Raiser's Edge to be relatively easy to learn. Whatever I'm not able to figure out by trial and error, the extensive help section has detailed answers on nearly every question I can think to ask.

What do you dislike?

When working with the Luminate plugin, duplicate users are often created.

The search bar in each section is often in a different place, which inhibits speed of use.

Faster loading time of pages with a high amount of information (media, prospect tabs, etc.) would also be helpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The Raiser's Edge is a pretty good, often improving database system that's definitely worth looking into. Be sure to investigate thoroughly before installing to ensure it meets your needs, which it most likely will.

The Raiser's Edge allows the non-profit I work for to keep our donor records in good order and easily facilitates thanking donors and keeping track of contact.

The Raiser's Edge review by User in Museums and Institutions
User in Museums and Institutions

"Great tool for tracking contact info, gifts, pending proposals, and overall donor participation "

What do you like best?

I love the variety of specific features and tools to capture all information about a donor, and the excellent reporting tools. The activity tracking and reminders are helpful for capturing relevant historical data, and the proposal tracking in the prospect tab is essential in managing outstanding asks.

What do you dislike?

When entering actions, there are 3 separate places to enter the date (it auto defaults to today's date) so if I am entering an action that occured in the past with a description in the note, I have to change the date of the action, the date completed, and the date on the note. It gets time consuming to update multiple actions.

Raiser's Edge allows for convenient gift reporting with year over year comparisons, which improves overall fundraising strategy. Event attendance and gift tracking is convenient and helps us create prospect lists for future events. Overall, I think RE is essential to a well functioning nonprofit organization.

Administrator in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Great product -- ubiquitous for good reason."

What do you like best?

It's massive, and has a million and one options for nearly every situation. Everything is easily customizable for my organization's needs. Since it is a popular enough product to be nearly ubiquitous in the nonprofit world, it easily integrates with many other relevant products and services, and that is very helpful. My organization has had great success with Luminate Online/The Raiser's Edge integration.

Also, I have had nearly universally positive experiences with Blackbaud support and its online communities. Which is not necessarily a review of The Raiser's Edge itself, but I see these support elements as being nearly inseparable from the product.

What do you dislike?

It's not terribly elegant. Oftentimes it's much more complicated to do something simple, than it would be to do something complicated. Which is counter-intuitive.

Also, it integrates very poorly with our magazine subscriber database.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be patient with the learning curve -- the more you learn about The Raiser's Edge and how it operates, the easier it will be to learn its more complex elements. There are few quick or easy solutions with RE, but your results will still be rewarding.

Benefits: Good database health, consistent and accurate donor mail merges, accurate data analysis through queries. We have used The Raiser's Edge for a long time, so we have already solved the business problems that existed before we started using it.

The Raiser's Edge review by Administrator in Philanthropy
Administrator in Philanthropy

"Good starting point but surpassed by NXT"

What do you like best?

It has a LOT of options if you know where to look and what to do

What do you dislike?

Horribly cumbersome query process. not very user friendly. Training needs to be lengthy if you want to use it accurately and even then there are issues. True "expertise" in the software seems difficult to achieve.

Recommendations to others considering the product

look at the newer versions - NXT. It fixes a lot of the user friendliness issues of the old RE

Donor database, retention, recognition, stat analysis.

The Raiser's Edge review by User in Internet

"Robust fundraising software with some limitations"

What do you like best?

Raiser's Edge really shines in its implementation of robust queries and its ColdFusion integration. It is customized for the nonprofit space and has the opportunity to work well with large donor caseloads.

What do you dislike?

The user interface is clunky and somewhat outdated. It has no native cloud implementation at a reasonable price point, requiring extensive technical build outs to be a viable option for most nonprofits with limited budgets.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Blackbaud needs to figure out a way to make their software more accessible to the mid-level nonprofit audience, primarily by creating a comprehensive and inexpensive cloud integration and by leveraging their experience with data management to create better analytics.

I used Raiser's Edge for complex queries to identify donors with the potential to upgrade. It's query option is robust compared to the competition.

The Raiser's Edge review by Elora T.
Elora T.

"Gets the job done, but not my favorite program"

What do you like best?

It is relatively easy to perform simple functions, like looking up gifts or donors by name.

What do you dislike?

The look and feel of the program is outdated and performing functions beyond basic search is not especially intuitive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is not a fancy program and it feels clunky and outdated. It is easy enough to use for simple functions of donor management, like tracking donor information and gifts.

I use Raiser's Edge to track donors, donor relationships, and financial gifts to my organization.

The Raiser's Edge review by Alan B.
Alan B.

"I use Raiser's Edge to keep track of our constituents"

What do you like best?

I like know much information you can put on one person into the program

What do you dislike?

It's clunky, not user friendly, and has a old, outdated interface.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a decent program for keeping information together, and lets you store a ton of info, but I don't like the interface that much. There's a lot of old looking tabs and things hidden underneath them. It looks like an early 90s Windows screen.

We're able to track tons of people, when they donate, and when they attend events. We've found that it allows us to store all the information we need in one place.

The Raiser's Edge review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Works well for fundraising events"

What do you like best?

The event module and online express are what I use most as an event coordinator.

What do you dislike?

It's not extremely user friendly, it could do with a makeover.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check out the tutorials, it is also helpful to have a RE training if your company allows for it.

RE makes it easy to send mass emails for events, we also use it for online registration. Once a user buys a ticket/sponsorship they are immediately entered into the event module. Which makes a lot less manual manipulation for me.

The Raiser's Edge review by Administrator in Public Relations and Communications
Administrator in Public Relations and Communications

"Used because it gets the job done. "

What do you like best?

I like that once you know how to use it, you are able to accomplish all of your basic tasks and functions. It catalogs all of your constituents data and helps you see things like membership accounts as well.

What do you dislike?

I think the biggest issue with Rasiers Edge is that it is not intuitive. The user experience is first of all, very old looking which for whatever reason makes it easier to doubt the credibility of the software. Additionally, I find that there are many extra steps or duplicative steps to accomplish simple tasks.

Managing a membership database. Benefits are keeping everyone in one place.

The Raiser's Edge review by Administrator

"Good product for Higher Education Foundations"

What do you like best?

All inclusive constituent record management.

You have options to customize to your liking.

What do you dislike?

You are limited with your customization.

Limitations in fund queries.

We are able to pull our own reports. Our old system was very cumbersome and it was hard to pull reports from it. Along the same lines it gives us more flexibility than our old system when it comes to adding table items.

The Raiser's Edge review by Ashley G.
Ashley G.

"Useful but ugly "

What do you like best?

It is good at tracking gifts from various donors. Also keep their information update.

What do you dislike?

The user interface is very ugly and old. It also it can be difficult to start and slow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please make a better user friendly interface. It would be easier if you changed the font of the word on the application. Also if you can make the font bigger and use better colors. Also make easier to merge files.

Keeping track of donors, gifts, and mailings.