Thea Render

Thea Render is the world’s most versatile renderer featuring state-of-the-art Unbiased, Biased and GPU engines. It includes a rich set of innovative features, a powerful material system, and its own advanced studio.

Work for Thea Render?
Keyshot logo  3d rendering  2x

Learning about Thea Render?

Thea Render Reviews

Ask Thea Render a Question
Showing 24 Thea Render reviews
Thea Render review by <span>Przemysław D.</span>
Przemysław D.
Invitation from the software vendor

Outstanding performance and quality!

What do you like best?

Quality and performance are two major pros of this software. Thea Render can be used in synergy with modeling app and as a standalone studio what gives more flexibility working on different modeling apps and merging all pieces together inside studio without any effort. Output of Thea most of the time is good enough to send images to client without taking extra time for post production.

What do you dislike?

Since some time development of Thea is very slow and there's not much information provided when and what will be improved. General UI needs improvements there are lots of small things to change which could improve using this software. Presto Engine should finally support procedural noises and also there could be direct connection between Substance suite and Thea material system.

I'm using Thea Render as the main rendering engine to provide my clients highest possible quality images. Thea provides enough speed to work with clients on actual images without taking extra time to show client how final image could look like.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Thea Render
Thea Render review by <span>Timothy John D.</span>
Timothy John D.

Thea Render Review

What do you like best?

Simply put, I like the speed - Thea has a variety of excellent render methods, and they are all capable of creating a very clean realistic render, but for me Presto AO or MC is the way to go when I'm on deadline with a demanding client. The speed of Presto allows me to show clients more iterations in a shorter period of time that would have been possible with other render engines. This in turn reflects well on our little design shop and makes clients feel like they are getting the maximum bang for their rendering buck.

What do you dislike?

The advanced materials builder can be difficult and incomprehensible at first...to be fair there are tutorials that clear this up, but it should be more intuitive...

Some controls for things like texture scale are located in more than one place in the GUI, there should not be any redundancy - give me ONE place to control everything -related to a particular function...

"Undo" needs to work like every other program in the world and undo the last operation. Not just SOME operations.

If I alter the scale of a diffuse map, then the default behavior should be for Thea to also scale the related maps (bump, displace) accordingly, don't make me dig around under the "structure" tab and type in the same values...just update everything and if that isn't what I wanted THEN make me dig into the tabs..

Camera: Use the proper nomenclature for the camera functions - Film Height and Focal length mean different things to "REAL" photographers...if Theas terminology matched actual photography terms it would be easier to learn the differences between Thea funtionality and "real" camera functionality.

I should be able to animate a lights movement, and also its on/off/intensity status simultaneously.

(Think of the strobes on an approaching aircraft...moving AND turning on and off)

3D Micrografix could do this in 1998.

Rotating the global environment should be simpler and more intuitive.

When using the "manual sun" setting, give me a "nudge" control that moves the sun a tiny amount, allow me to set the amount of each nudge...

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would encourage anyone in the modeling/rendering field to give it a shot and check it against whatever renderer they are currently using

Thea allows me to flip jobs much faster than other engines. Also it allows me to explore different looks without giant investments in time and clock cycles. This in turn allows me to show these differnt looks to clients, and often leads to the sale of additional views, whereas before I would have been unlikely to experiment beyond the exact views specified in the design brief for reasons of time

What 3D Rendering solution do you use?

Thea Render review by <span>Beppe B.</span>
Beppe B.

Thea Render - Unique approach to rendering

What do you like best?

For architectural modeling and industrial design I am using Rhinoceros and 3dsMax, adapting according to the characteristics of these two packages. Operational workflow has led me to use other 3D modelers (such as SolidWorks and SpaceClaim) but Rhinoceros has remained the primary software which, I believe, is the ultimate stage for concept design. I have used V-Ray since its birth but with the advent of unbiased rendering engines (Maxwell, Fryrender) I adapted my working approach to take advantage of the characteristics of this new way of "visualization".With the introduction of Thea Render, with its multiple render approach (unbiased and biased), I have further changed my way of work, because, I think, Thea has a unique way to operate.

What do you dislike?

Nothing in particular, If not more support from some of the features of the 3d software I use. But I am aware that the development team is working to do this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I strongly recommend switching to thea render, given the quality that is achieved with a relatively little invasive commitment

The particular flexibility of the various Thea calculation methods allows for instant adaptation to the various moments of the CG

Thea Render review by <span>Avi C.</span>
Avi C.
Invitation from the software vendor

The all around Sketchup Render engine for Professionals and new comers!

What do you like best?

After trying many render engines I set on Thea for many reasons, the best of them is:

1. uncompromising photo real quality. looks just as good as Vray and many other at a less price and allot less time spend on settings.

2. fast settings, just aim and hit render - its already amazing.

3. super fast!

4. easy proxy support for sketchup (including skatter) - allowing for great renders with low impact to memory.

4. great community and support, busting forum with many resources shared. helpful staff, never had a support post unanswered within hours!

What do you dislike?

to be honest? there is absolutely nothing to dislike while using it in Sketchup.

unfortunately I started working in Revit and there is no version for revit and as of late for 3ds max as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

there are many new render engines showing up constantly but few stay around delivering high quality renders, thea is here to stay.

while using sketchup there is no faster, easier, cost effective way to render photo realistic images.

Thea Render review by <span>Duane K.</span>
Duane K.
Invitation from the software vendor

Continued development, support a functionality of Thea Render makes it the best value for the money.

What do you like best?

Thea Render's Presto engine with relight is quick and network rendering offers settings that make rendering a pleasure. Relight gives more control over lighting for impact. Having the software and using it is one thing. Having the resources of the people behind this renderer makes one feel a part of the community... a great value.

What do you dislike?

Some of the new features, like fog, still have some tweaks to be made. But, as the new feature is developed those kinks will be worked out.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For the price, no other render soft has as many options and even surpasses others with toolsets. An amazing product for an amazing price with amazing results.

After using Shaderlight, Thea Render was a bright, shiny tool that allow renderings to have a "reality" that I had not had before.

Thea Render review by <span>Thomas W.</span>
Thomas W.

Easy to use

What do you like best?

I like Thea's all features especially the BSD method as it is the quickes and provides reasonable quality in reasonable time compared with other unbiased method or even render engine like Maxwell. I like BSD because gives the same quality as vray provided years ago.

What do you dislike?

Many features are only supported for unbiased engines such as Lighting, and Colimo. The development team should focus on more integrity for BSD as it is the most reasonable for demanding pictures under tight deadlines. Talking about architecture or interior design.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Yes, we do.

Presentation of works (daily). The realtime render provides such a great experience during the design workflow and facilitates our work compare to re-render scenes one by one that can be time consuming as years ago when this technology was not available.

Learning about Thea Render?

* We monitor all Thea Render reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.