Thea Render

4.7

Thea Render is the world’s most versatile renderer featuring state-of-the-art Unbiased, Biased and GPU engines. It includes a rich set of innovative features, a powerful material system, and its own advanced studio.

Work for Thea Render?

Learning about Thea Render?

Thea Render Reviews

Ask Thea Render a Question
Showing 24 Thea Render reviews
Thea Render review by Przemysław D.
Przemysław D.

"Outstanding performance and quality!"

What do you like best?

Quality and performance are two major pros of this software. Thea Render can be used in synergy with modeling app and as a standalone studio what gives more flexibility working on different modeling apps and merging all pieces together inside studio without any effort. Output of Thea most of the time is good enough to send images to client without taking extra time for post production.

What do you dislike?

Since some time development of Thea is very slow and there's not much information provided when and what will be improved. General UI needs improvements there are lots of small things to change which could improve using this software. Presto Engine should finally support procedural noises and also there could be direct connection between Substance suite and Thea material system.

I'm using Thea Render as the main rendering engine to provide my clients highest possible quality images. Thea provides enough speed to work with clients on actual images without taking extra time to show client how final image could look like.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Thea Render
Thea Render review by Timothy John D.
Timothy John D.

"Thea Render Review"

What do you like best?

Simply put, I like the speed - Thea has a variety of excellent render methods, and they are all capable of creating a very clean realistic render, but for me Presto AO or MC is the way to go when I'm on deadline with a demanding client. The speed of Presto allows me to show clients more iterations in a shorter period of time that would have been possible with other render engines. This in turn reflects well on our little design shop and makes clients feel like they are getting the maximum bang for their rendering buck.

What do you dislike?

The advanced materials builder can be difficult and incomprehensible at first...to be fair there are tutorials that clear this up, but it should be more intuitive...

Some controls for things like texture scale are located in more than one place in the GUI, there should not be any redundancy - give me ONE place to control everything -related to a particular function...

"Undo" needs to work like every other program in the world and undo the last operation. Not just SOME operations.

If I alter the scale of a diffuse map, then the default behavior should be for Thea to also scale the related maps (bump, displace) accordingly, don't make me dig around under the "structure" tab and type in the same values...just update everything and if that isn't what I wanted THEN make me dig into the tabs..

Camera: Use the proper nomenclature for the camera functions - Film Height and Focal length mean different things to "REAL" photographers...if Theas terminology matched actual photography terms it would be easier to learn the differences between Thea funtionality and "real" camera functionality.

I should be able to animate a lights movement, and also its on/off/intensity status simultaneously.

(Think of the strobes on an approaching aircraft...moving AND turning on and off)

3D Micrografix could do this in 1998.

Rotating the global environment should be simpler and more intuitive.

When using the "manual sun" setting, give me a "nudge" control that moves the sun a tiny amount, allow me to set the amount of each nudge...

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would encourage anyone in the modeling/rendering field to give it a shot and check it against whatever renderer they are currently using

Thea allows me to flip jobs much faster than other engines. Also it allows me to explore different looks without giant investments in time and clock cycles. This in turn allows me to show these differnt looks to clients, and often leads to the sale of additional views, whereas before I would have been unlikely to experiment beyond the exact views specified in the design brief for reasons of time

What 3D Rendering solution do you use?

Thea Render review by Beppe B.
Beppe B.

"Thea Render - Unique approach to rendering"

What do you like best?

For architectural modeling and industrial design I am using Rhinoceros and 3dsMax, adapting according to the characteristics of these two packages. Operational workflow has led me to use other 3D modelers (such as SolidWorks and SpaceClaim) but Rhinoceros has remained the primary software which, I believe, is the ultimate stage for concept design. I have used V-Ray since its birth but with the advent of unbiased rendering engines (Maxwell, Fryrender) I adapted my working approach to take advantage of the characteristics of this new way of "visualization".With the introduction of Thea Render, with its multiple render approach (unbiased and biased), I have further changed my way of work, because, I think, Thea has a unique way to operate.

What do you dislike?

Nothing in particular, If not more support from some of the features of the 3d software I use. But I am aware that the development team is working to do this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I strongly recommend switching to thea render, given the quality that is achieved with a relatively little invasive commitment

The particular flexibility of the various Thea calculation methods allows for instant adaptation to the various moments of the CG

Thea Render review by Avi C.
Avi C.

"The all around Sketchup Render engine for Professionals and new comers!"

What do you like best?

After trying many render engines I set on Thea for many reasons, the best of them is:

1. uncompromising photo real quality. looks just as good as Vray and many other at a less price and allot less time spend on settings.

2. fast settings, just aim and hit render - its already amazing.

3. super fast!

4. easy proxy support for sketchup (including skatter) - allowing for great renders with low impact to memory.

4. great community and support, busting forum with many resources shared. helpful staff, never had a support post unanswered within hours!

What do you dislike?

to be honest? there is absolutely nothing to dislike while using it in Sketchup.

unfortunately I started working in Revit and there is no version for revit and as of late for 3ds max as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

there are many new render engines showing up constantly but few stay around delivering high quality renders, thea is here to stay.

while using sketchup there is no faster, easier, cost effective way to render photo realistic images.

Thea Render review by Duane K.
Duane K.

"Continued development, support a functionality of Thea Render makes it the best value for the money."

What do you like best?

Thea Render's Presto engine with relight is quick and network rendering offers settings that make rendering a pleasure. Relight gives more control over lighting for impact. Having the software and using it is one thing. Having the resources of the people behind this renderer makes one feel a part of the community... a great value.

What do you dislike?

Some of the new features, like fog, still have some tweaks to be made. But, as the new feature is developed those kinks will be worked out.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For the price, no other render soft has as many options and even surpasses others with toolsets. An amazing product for an amazing price with amazing results.

After using Shaderlight, Thea Render was a bright, shiny tool that allow renderings to have a "reality" that I had not had before.

Thea Render review by Thomas W.
Thomas W.

"Easy to use"

What do you like best?

I like Thea's all features especially the BSD method as it is the quickes and provides reasonable quality in reasonable time compared with other unbiased method or even render engine like Maxwell. I like BSD because gives the same quality as vray provided years ago.

What do you dislike?

Many features are only supported for unbiased engines such as Lighting, and Colimo. The development team should focus on more integrity for BSD as it is the most reasonable for demanding pictures under tight deadlines. Talking about architecture or interior design.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Yes, we do.

Presentation of works (daily). The realtime render provides such a great experience during the design workflow and facilitates our work compare to re-render scenes one by one that can be time consuming as years ago when this technology was not available.

Thea Render review by Dennis B.
Dennis B.

"Thea Render"

What do you like best?

Early in my 3D rendering career, I was a user of Kerkythea which is a free render engine. Then the same company who made Kerkythea announced Thea Render as a commercial product. Eventually I gave Thea a try and didn't look back. I love the speed and quality of the renders...mainly the speed. I also like the import and save options. For example, I can import a tree I made in Blender as an OBJ model, tweak the textures to look very realistic, then save the tree as a Thea library model that will be ready to render alone or dragged into any scene within Thea Studio. While using the Sketchup plugin, I also love the fact I can see my project rendered while still working on the 3D model or scene. I've tried other engines but I settled on Thea for the reasons I mentioned. I think Thea Render is a very underrated render engine that deserves a lot more attention because it's so awesome. And the price is not bad either compared to other high end render engines. I also love the community in the Thea Forums with active and very helpful fellow users and staff. The updates are also free with detailed change logs and previews. The staff is always sharing information and seem to really care about our feedback.

What do you dislike?

Lighting interior scenes have a steep learning curve but from what I see many artists do, great interior renders are very doable. I would like to see a beginner's lighting mode that works the same way Kerkythea does. Having said that, I like that it forces me to learn actual photography in order to use Thea effectively. I would also love to see better animation options.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Thea Render is a solid render engine with great speed without loss of quality. I strongly recommend it.

I use Thea with Sketchup and no matter what project I work on I have access to instant feedback of a final render while working and making changes. The workflow is very efficient. I don't have to go back and forth between my Sketchup and Thea Studio to see what I am ending up with making the project move so much faster.

User in Architecture & Planning

"Thea and Sketchup allowed me to get rid of 3dsMax and Vray workflow"

What do you like best?

The immediacy of the feedback, as I can now design in Sketchup and render on the go. Although I'm in the archviz field since 2004 I still don't like to model in 3dsMax in favor of Sketchup and was looking for an alternative to Vray as exporting the model to 3dsmax only for rendering was a huge waste of time.

Thea for Sketchup has become an indispensable tool in my workflow, and I love the friendliness of the community in the official forum, and I am looking forward to contribute to improve the Thea experience for all of us.

What do you dislike?

1. the lack of news from the devs since the soft is in the hands of Altair.

2. to have to convert all my Vray/max library to be able to use it under Thea workflow.

3. the thea tool's material converter under 3dsmax is really missing some key features, as I spend most of the time removing falloffs, blends, 2sided material, mix, procedural noises, vraynormals, etc. although it could be done automatically if developpers took the time to improve their converter. Since we have fresnel ramp in Presto now I really think we could get an automated conversion of all the falloffs in Vray materials.

4. Noise affair: I feel Thea should align with concurrents and fix the noise in interior renders (when the artificial lighting is more proeminent than sun&sky) or at least propose a denoiser render pass.

5. more tweaking of HDR input and output. the handling of the HDR material is a must-have nowadays and we need more parameters. The tonemapping alone should be taken more seriously as it's a waste of time to be dependent on ArionFX or Luminance HDR to handle the HDR output.

6. I'd like to have a material file format that embeds the texture files as a zip/rar/7zip

7. the thea browser that doesn't sort the files from networked places is annoying, just as the fact that cases matter (A-a shouldn't matter when sorting alphabetically)

8. the network render node (Thea client) keeps it RAM footprint even though the render session is finished.

9. the material editor could be improved a lot.

10. I don't like Thea studio's interface. at all. It's buggy and redundant. I avoid it most of the time.

In general, I have written all my thought here: http://thearender.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19136

Recommendations to others considering the product

As is, Thea render is already a very good render engine.

But!

Mostly for exterior scenes, where sun&sky lighting is predominant.

When artificial lighting is involved (like interiors), the engine shows a lot of noise and it could be a hindrance as the render time needed to get rid of the noisefloor is higher than Vray, Corona, Maxwell, FStorm, or Octane. Vray and Corona use denoiser pass to get rid of the noise even with very low noise threshold. And even then the antialiasing filter contributes to remove the remaining noise.

Yet it's very easy to tweak the lighting setup thanks to Tomasz' Thea4SU interface.

I love Thea because of the people behind it (the developpers) but also because of its ease of use.

I can get good results even without going into material editor.

I don't need 3dsMax anymore for rendering. Although I still need it to convert my library or client's Revit files ;-)

Thea Render review by User in Design
User in Design

"Thea is hands down the best engine for SketchUp"

What do you like best?

For the work we do, I really need an engine that stays within SketchUp (no messy exporting), that way we can continue to work on our design and generate graphics for client approval throughout the process.

What do you dislike?

Not a whole lot I dislike about Thea. It would be great if it handled displacement a bit easier, like I have seen in Max. It would also be nice to see more assets offered from modeling companies (trees, people, etc.) already setup at proxies.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You will need a decent workstation and graphics card, but chances are you already have this if using other engines.

We use it daily to be better designers and artists. Thea has helped us become better at what we do and allows us to help our clients visualize their ideas.

Thea Render review by Saskia S.
Saskia S.

"A great easy to use rendering programme"

What do you like best?

Thea Render is an incredible rendering programme that plugs into many other programmes (we use Autodesk Fusion 360). It exports the scene and materials and allows easy set up of lighting and cameras. There is incredible customer service helping us get our scenes ready for rendering.

What do you dislike?

As a novice user there are still many features of Thea that we have not been able to use but the customer service has been great and direct contact with developers helps us improve our rendering outputs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Thea Render is a great relatively inexpensive rendering programme that can use both GPU and CPU for rendering as well as does network rendering. It is fairly easy to set up scenes but if you have any problems, Thea is very responsive and will help you get everything sorted.

The render allows us to easily create renders of our products before they are manufactured. This way we can look at colour combinations and accurately see what they would look like in real life and in different situations.

Thea Render review by Bonne W.
Bonne W.

"Thea Render for Fusion 360, perfect partner for advanced photo realistic rendering."

What do you like best?

I came across Thea render while searching for render solutions for Fusion 360, While Fusion is a great piece of kit and has awesome inbuilt rendering. Sadly it was unable to process my project due to its size and complexity, frustrated with the limitations i searched for other render options. Keyshot was the first solution but at 1000 euros for the basic it was simply too much for us, and i would guess most fusion users.

I discovered Thea and contacted them immediately. A fairly small and young company they were very flexible and signed us up for the beta program as we initially had issues with exporting speeds, and geometry location in the exported models.

But theses problems were resolved within days a few day. I was truly amazed at how proactive they were in resolving issues and making sure you can make the most of Thea render.

What do you dislike?

The program itself can be a little daunting and some could describe it as user unfriendly ui however i would put this down to the fact there is a huge amounts of features, we quickly were able to get some basic renders which were as good if not better than the standard fusion results. however we only scratched the surface of what is truly possible in terms of photo realism in Thea.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a fusion 360 user and would like to expand your rendering capabilities i would serious consider trying out Thea. Its price point makes it accessible to most fusion users and the quality of renders you can achieve could really boost your presentation options with designs from Fusion 360.

I used Thea render to create render of my products for my start up company.

User in Architecture & Planning

"Excellent renderer for Architecture"

What do you like best?

Fast interactive rendering, incredible amount of geometry, CPU+GPU rendering, a simple but effective material system and the deepest integration with Sketchup, make this one of the most important tools to help me design and sell my projects.

What do you dislike?

I'd like it to have more procedural features, dirt, bevels and randomizing options for both materials and proxy systems. I'd also love to have an even stronger integration with Allegorythmic's Substance tools.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Will do what's needed in a great way, specially if you use Sketchup.

Lighting and material design iteraction is really changing with rendering tools. The fast visualization feedback of Thea's GPU+CPU rendering inside your working viewport, really helps on making us sure of our design intentions by creating virtual mockups in a fast and photorealistic way.

Thea Render review by Jan S.
Jan S.

"The most versatile renderer for architecture I have tried."

What do you like best?

The speed of Thea's Presto CPU+GPU engine.

The high quality renders you can get without having to do multiple test renders.

What do you dislike?

Noise reduction, rendertime beveled edges and multi random materials would be most welcome additions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it! For the Presto CPU+GPU engine you'll currently need a Nvidia GPU.

A speedier workflow with less time needed for fiddling with settings.

User in Architecture & Planning

"Best Rendering Engine for Sketchup"

What do you like best?

The ease of use and the active community make it a great tool for Architects and Interior Designers. The work flow is smooth and the plugin for sketchup makes it easy to use complex models within thea without having to bother heavy models in sketchup.

What do you dislike?

Thea is already one of the best rendering engines if not the best in its price point, but it is still a work in progress in terms of development. Needs a little more in terms of model libraries and material libraries.

Interior Renderings. Great tool to make photorealistic renderings of sketches.

Thea Render review by User in Construction
User in Construction

"Thea is superquick"

What do you like best?

I like Thea's speed and quality for my architectural exterior and interiors, versatility of AO and BSD features. Excellent Rhino support.

What do you dislike?

Team is too silent. Colimo does not support BSD. No BSD GPU support. Just few people know in the industry. Soft shadow calculation is too slow. Gloss material could be faster for environment rendering. BSD could be more optimized.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I can recommend Thea for colleagues as the product is powerful as other well known proven application in rendering.

It is great for presentations and visual communication.

User in Architecture & Planning

"Fastest render engine I know!"

What do you like best?

What makes thea so awesome is the deep integration in sketchup and the CPU+GPU rendering. This helps me meet tight deadlines and makes it one of the fastest renderengines on the market.

What do you dislike?

What I would like they improve is the integration in other softwares and the effects, better glare, mist, sunflares, ... also a better batch renderer that would let me send on multiple computers while continuing to work on the main computer would be great.

I render faster then I could before.

Thea Render review by Chris T.
Chris T.

"Thea Render"

What do you like best?

Thea Render's quality and speed and logical setup for its material system. It's rendering system is advanced and easy to use.

What do you dislike?

Its integration with Cinema4D, specifically the user interface, needs work. It's cluttered and difficult to use.

3D illustration.

Thea Render review by Majid Y.
Majid Y.

"Wonderful speed and quality of rendering joy"

What do you like best?

A unique hybrid rendering engine that let you choose between highest quality to agile speed spectrum of render with less material, light and render setup. I strongly recommend it if you are going to find your way in Viz industry.

What do you dislike?

still not supporting particle system that leads lack of access to fluid simulation and also some other stuffs such as grass etc.

Architectural visualization industry is my main job and Thea covers almost all I need!

User in Architecture & Planning

"Great for all sorts of renderings"

What do you like best?

Ease of use along with feature rich interface makes it one of the best if not the best 3rd party renderer.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really. Maybe the focus could be equal on both GPU and CPU renderers. But just nitpicking really.

Architectural and interior renderings.

Thea Render review by Agency
Agency

"Thea Render for C4D"

What do you like best?

Instant render of your scene powered by your different GPU and CPU!

What do you dislike?

You have to refresh when you add a light or a object

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go, it's really a new experience for rendering

Short deadline are now past history :)

Thea Render review by Juan F.
Juan F.

"Exceptional experience"

What do you like best?

The team, they are fantastic at communication and helping the users with their problems

What do you dislike?

Nothing so far, all the experience since day one has been great

The speed that I can deliver the projects to the clients

Thea Render review by User in Furniture
User in Furniture

"Thea review"

What do you like best?

Thea has a great material system and is integrated very well with sketchup.

What do you dislike?

There has been a lack of communication lately.

Thea gpu rendering has helped tremendously with lead times.

Thea Render review by User in Media Production
User in Media Production

"Fast and simple"

What do you like best?

The ability to utilize the GPU and the library with models.

What do you dislike?

Nothing in particular -------------------

Recommendations to others considering the product

Thea Render is fast and easy to use

Visualize building projects

Thea Render review by Consultant

"Fast rendere"

What do you like best?

Easy to use with Realistic results in very short time

What do you dislike?

The interface should be improved.

A more flexible texturint editing is requied with models coming from unsupported 3d software

Fast and realistic architectonic presentations

Learning about Thea Render?

* We monitor all Thea Render reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.