Thumbtack

Thumbtack is an online service that helps people find handymen, housekeepers, tutors, photographers, wedding planners, and others for temporary employment.

Work for Thumbtack?

Learning about Thumbtack?

Thumbtack Reviews

Showing 19 Thumbtack reviews
Thumbtack review by <span>Liz W.</span>
Liz W.

Thumbtack - Could Be Better

What do you like best?

I like that my business has a presence on a platform that is used by thousands of people every day. People who are looking for a photographer within my geographic region can find me on Thumbtack. I was hopeful this would help drive more traffic to my business.

What do you dislike?

While Thumbtack did generate leads, it rarely led to landing a job. In my experience, most customers are shopping around for the cheapest service. Also, Thumbtack has become too expensive to maintain. It used to be setup so that I would purchase a certain number of credits (as many or as few as I like) and use those credits to send quotes to customers with needs that I deemed a good fit. Thumbtack has since restructured their system. Now, they automatically send quotes to customers on my behalf (which I pay for), and I am also charged when a customer responds to my quote. One big problem here is that sometimes, a customer will respond to a quote with regrets (like, "thanks, but I'm going a different route"), and I get charged for that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to use Thumbtack to obtain more customers, you will need to monitor your account closely, responds to leads immediately (you are competing with many other professionals), and be ready to pay for leads that don't go anywhere.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Thumbtack
Thumbtack review by <span>Julie B.</span>
Julie B.

Brings in quality customers

What do you like best?

I love that all my instructors can use Thumbtack to Self market their lessons. It also helps those who are interested to read more about the instructors at my music school. Plus it gives the instructors a chance to get to know and communicate with those potential students about what they have to offer

What do you dislike?

I don’t have too many negative things to say except that on the occasion when a professional has to give a quote to the customer the cost can be a little pricey and that’s just giving the quote that’s not guaranteeing that you will sign up that customer. Therefore, you might lose a lot of money but they offer a lot of free opportunities to give quotes to just as many Customers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly I commend using Thumbtack out of 25 students that I’ve personally teach half of them came thumbtack. That’s not including the ones up top in the past I would say total 70% of my clientele comes from Thumbtack

What On-Demand Staffing solution do you use?

Thumbtack review by <span>Jeffrey Lee N.</span>
Jeffrey Lee N.

Loving Thumbtack!

What do you like best?

The thing I like best about using Ttack is that its "Easy"! Such a simple but very powerful tool in the Services / Client World!

What do you dislike?

"Credits"...over 2rs ago, buy Ttack Credits to get in touch with a potential client was very reasonable...but over time, it "truly" is getting expensive, especially since there are 4 Other Pro's also trying to get that same opportunity, and even if you don't "win", if that potential client just sent you a message "inquiring" about your services, keep in mind you "did not win" the bid...you still get Fully Charged the Ttack Credits, which now are around an average of $1.67/credit! And most quotes end up costing an average of 15 Credits (...I'll let you do the math for something you might not win!)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go For It! If you are a Professional, or just "looking" for a Pro and need some type of service...sign up for a Free Account and Make It Happen! You will thank me later for sure!

Thumbtack review by <span>Monica R.</span>
Monica R.

The Best Online Referral Service I've Tried

What do you like best?

I forgot to tell you the reasons I am with Thumbtack and it has everything to do with control and risk management.

1. Thumbtack lets me choose which requests I respond to. If I don’t like the look, sound, description or location of a request, I simply hit “Pass” and there is no penalty or cost to me. Let’s say I’m slammed with work or I’m on vacation. I can literally pass on every quote without any repercussion. I LOVE THAT.

2. Thumbtack lets me get VERY specific on the kind of jobs I want to quote. For example, if I don’t want a certain type of work anymore, and I only want to hear from people who are looking for X, Y, OR Z, I can do that on Thumbtack. I LOVE THAT.

3. Typically, the cost to quote a project is low — between $6 and $9 in the form of “credits” that I pre-purchase. When you receive a request, they tell you up front how many “credits” it costs you to send a quote. If it’s more credits than I want to spend, I can just hit “pass.” I LOVE THAT.

4. If a prospect fails to review my quote within 48 hours, the credits I paid to send the quote are refunded. If that same prospect comes back and reviews my quote AFTER 48 hours, as a courtesy to me, Thumbtack doesn’t re-charge me the fee. I LOVE THAT.

Right now, there's really no down side to this model. It puts me in control of what I spend and who I send quotes to. I thought you’d like to know those things.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that when I reload my credits through Google, I get a really expensive surcharge.

Thumbtack review by <span>Mckenzie S.</span>
Mckenzie S.

Difficult (i.e. expensive) to actually get jobs

What do you like best?

Its nice to be able to reach out to people looking for services rather than advertising yourself elsewhere. It seems safer than something like Craigslist.

What do you dislike?

Its expensive to quote someone, especially when there's no guarantee the potential client will even communicate with you. It COULD be great for people just starting out but it's certainly too costly. It would make a lot more sense to charge someone WHEN they get the job rather than charge them just to speak to someone.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have the money, I guess try it out but if you're just starting your business don't pay for a service like this.

Thumbtack review by <span>Elizabeth S.</span>
Elizabeth S.

Thumbtack - A reliable service connector!

What do you like best?

The fact that a user can see so many reviews from other members. I️ have only had very positive experiences using Thumbtack!

What do you dislike?

I️ do not like that the site follows up about using someone through their site at such a high frequency.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This group presents unbiased options for any service imaginable.

Learning about Thumbtack?

* We monitor all Thumbtack reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.