Thumbtack

3.8

Thumbtack is an online service that helps people find handymen, housekeepers, tutors, photographers, wedding planners, and others for temporary employment.

Work for Thumbtack?

Learning about Thumbtack?

Compare Thumbtack to Similar Solutions

Thumbtack Reviews

Ask Thumbtack a Question
Showing 41 Thumbtack reviews
Thumbtack review by Pamela D.
Pamela D.

"Easy and Affordable"

What do you like best?

The 3 individuals we found were very quick and proficient. They worked quickly and quietly and got the tasks completed before the quoted time.

I think the reviews that we had discovered while using Thumbtack were very accurate and the individuals we had contacted were very quick to reply with quotes.

What do you dislike?

Although the individuals were very efficient, I would have liked to have had them able to work more independently. They did have to disrupt our staff on occasion in order to get help with certain files.

Also, I don't feel that there are enough regulations in the site. I feel like we had received a very wide range of price quotes for the services we were needing and our requirements were pretty basic.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a very easy application. Thumbtack has a huge database of service providers for a very wide variety of fields and disciplines. I really liked being able to easily access people who could satisfy our needs for the project we had. The reviews of the staff in their database seemed to be very accurate and the site was easy to maneuver through.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Thumbtack

"Great Online Service!!"

What do you like best?

Thumbtack is great online service which you can use via browser or the App.

This service easily hook you up with the service provider you looking for along with their contact details and also have reviews from their past.

If some new provider wanted to reach you out for the service you looking for then it will Text you as per registered contact details of yours.

What do you dislike?

Initially when you do not have App for the first time using Thumbtack when a new provider reach out to you for your service Quote then link in the email/message takes you to the Thumbtack site in browser then it pops up a message in browser to open in Thumbtack App but later message goes away and you can look for your service in your local community via Browser.

So if that little message can be fixed then it will be good.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Everyone should use it to find any kind of service in their local neighborhood.

What On-Demand Staffing solution do you use?

Thumbtack review by Liz W.
Liz W.

"Thumbtack - Could Be Better"

What do you like best?

I like that my business has a presence on a platform that is used by thousands of people every day. People who are looking for a photographer within my geographic region can find me on Thumbtack. I was hopeful this would help drive more traffic to my business.

What do you dislike?

While Thumbtack did generate leads, it rarely led to landing a job. In my experience, most customers are shopping around for the cheapest service. Also, Thumbtack has become too expensive to maintain. It used to be setup so that I would purchase a certain number of credits (as many or as few as I like) and use those credits to send quotes to customers with needs that I deemed a good fit. Thumbtack has since restructured their system. Now, they automatically send quotes to customers on my behalf (which I pay for), and I am also charged when a customer responds to my quote. One big problem here is that sometimes, a customer will respond to a quote with regrets (like, "thanks, but I'm going a different route"), and I get charged for that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to use Thumbtack to obtain more customers, you will need to monitor your account closely, responds to leads immediately (you are competing with many other professionals), and be ready to pay for leads that don't go anywhere.

Thumbtack review by Julie B.
Julie B.

"Brings in quality customers"

What do you like best?

I love that all my instructors can use Thumbtack to Self market their lessons. It also helps those who are interested to read more about the instructors at my music school. Plus it gives the instructors a chance to get to know and communicate with those potential students about what they have to offer

What do you dislike?

I don’t have too many negative things to say except that on the occasion when a professional has to give a quote to the customer the cost can be a little pricey and that’s just giving the quote that’s not guaranteeing that you will sign up that customer. Therefore, you might lose a lot of money but they offer a lot of free opportunities to give quotes to just as many Customers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly I commend using Thumbtack out of 25 students that I’ve personally teach half of them came thumbtack. That’s not including the ones up top in the past I would say total 70% of my clientele comes from Thumbtack

Thumbtack review by Jeffrey Lee N.
Jeffrey Lee N.

"Loving Thumbtack!"

What do you like best?

The thing I like best about using Ttack is that its "Easy"! Such a simple but very powerful tool in the Services / Client World!

What do you dislike?

"Credits"...over 2rs ago, buy Ttack Credits to get in touch with a potential client was very reasonable...but over time, it "truly" is getting expensive, especially since there are 4 Other Pro's also trying to get that same opportunity, and even if you don't "win", if that potential client just sent you a message "inquiring" about your services, keep in mind you "did not win" the bid...you still get Fully Charged the Ttack Credits, which now are around an average of $1.67/credit! And most quotes end up costing an average of 15 Credits (...I'll let you do the math for something you might not win!)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go For It! If you are a Professional, or just "looking" for a Pro and need some type of service...sign up for a Free Account and Make It Happen! You will thank me later for sure!

G2 Crowd User

"Great source for service industry"

What do you like best?

It's very simple to respond to requests for bids, and that makes it an effective platform for constantly trying to get new sales opportunities in the pipeline. Whether you're a one-man show, or an organization with twenty people out in the field, Thumbtack request are very straightforward and you can respond on the go with ease so even when you're working on-site to respond to a call, you can still be working on your sales activities.

What do you dislike?

It can be easy to receive unqualified leads that cause you to spend credits to bid on a lead that never had any intention of taking any of the quotes; most often it seems like they're from competitors trying to get an idea of the pricing of their competition.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you fill in your profile, and make sure there is plenty of information available. Don't be afraid to (tactfully) suggest to clients found through Thumbtack to leave you a review so others know what they thought of your services. As long as you reply to request in a reasonable amount of time, it's a platform worth using.

Thumbtack review by Monica R.
Monica R.

"The Best Online Referral Service I've Tried"

What do you like best?

I forgot to tell you the reasons I am with Thumbtack and it has everything to do with control and risk management.

1. Thumbtack lets me choose which requests I respond to. If I don’t like the look, sound, description or location of a request, I simply hit “Pass” and there is no penalty or cost to me. Let’s say I’m slammed with work or I’m on vacation. I can literally pass on every quote without any repercussion. I LOVE THAT.

2. Thumbtack lets me get VERY specific on the kind of jobs I want to quote. For example, if I don’t want a certain type of work anymore, and I only want to hear from people who are looking for X, Y, OR Z, I can do that on Thumbtack. I LOVE THAT.

3. Typically, the cost to quote a project is low — between $6 and $9 in the form of “credits” that I pre-purchase. When you receive a request, they tell you up front how many “credits” it costs you to send a quote. If it’s more credits than I want to spend, I can just hit “pass.” I LOVE THAT.

4. If a prospect fails to review my quote within 48 hours, the credits I paid to send the quote are refunded. If that same prospect comes back and reviews my quote AFTER 48 hours, as a courtesy to me, Thumbtack doesn’t re-charge me the fee. I LOVE THAT.

Right now, there's really no down side to this model. It puts me in control of what I spend and who I send quotes to. I thought you’d like to know those things.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that when I reload my credits through Google, I get a really expensive surcharge.

Thumbtack review by Vanessa S.
Vanessa S.

"Great way to advertise!"

What do you like best?

The way quotes and requests for work are set up makes it so easy for the user to employ the right company, and for the company to provide the work they offer. For our business, we specialized in roofing. Before, users would reach out to us for all kinds of construction work but with Thumbtack, users find us and know that we only do roofing.

What do you dislike?

Some quotes are pricey and you don't get a refund if the client decided not to go with you.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great platform. Very easy to connect with prospective clients.

Thumbtack review by Mckenzie S.
Mckenzie S.

"Difficult (i.e. expensive) to actually get jobs"

What do you like best?

Its nice to be able to reach out to people looking for services rather than advertising yourself elsewhere. It seems safer than something like Craigslist.

What do you dislike?

Its expensive to quote someone, especially when there's no guarantee the potential client will even communicate with you. It COULD be great for people just starting out but it's certainly too costly. It would make a lot more sense to charge someone WHEN they get the job rather than charge them just to speak to someone.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have the money, I guess try it out but if you're just starting your business don't pay for a service like this.

Thumbtack review by Elizabeth S.
Elizabeth S.

"Thumbtack - A reliable service connector!"

What do you like best?

The fact that a user can see so many reviews from other members. I️ have only had very positive experiences using Thumbtack!

What do you dislike?

I️ do not like that the site follows up about using someone through their site at such a high frequency.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This group presents unbiased options for any service imaginable.

Thumbtack review by Chris S.
Chris S.

"A bit hard to use in my industry"

What do you like best?

Allowed me to put my name out there for an inexpensive amount and get leads for free

What do you dislike?

Lack of information most prospective clients provided for me to give them an accurate quote

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure it works for your industry or profession

Thumbtack review by Amy L.
Amy L.

"Thumbtack - Easy To Use!"

What do you like best?

I like that it allows you to provide your budget information so that your vendor will be within that without having to go through the back and forth.

What do you dislike?

That sometimes it takes a while to hear back from vendors and depending on your area, sometimes there isn't a lot of response.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's quick and very user friendly!

G2 Crowd User

"Thumbtack solves quick hiring needs!"

What do you like best?

What I like best is how simple this is to use. I can easily look up categories for what area I need help hiring in and can find someone easily who is local. This is a great way to connect with fellow locals.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that, like with any service found via the internet, you do not know the person beforehand, and that can be a bit scary.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would book in as much advance as possible and give them details about your event so they know what to expect.

G2 Crowd User

"Best for businesses with low prices"

What do you like best?

I like that they were able to get us customers. I think they are a great tool for people starting out in an industry with low prices and people who don't yet have a website or any leads yet.

What do you dislike?

I think most of the people on Thumbtack are price shopping and typically aren't serious about buying. So spending time sending individual quotes to people who most likely will ignore them isn't sustainable in the long run. Overall, using other methods like SEO and Adwords have been more profitable for our business (and aren't as time-consuming.

Thumbtack review by Aria S.
Aria S.

"Works the best!"

What do you like best?

Easy to use , and real quotes and people.

What do you dislike?

It is very expensive, thumbtack takes a lot of cut from the gig.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your business is new and you have clients, get some real customer to post reviews for you, send requests get it, get yourself a business you need.

G2 Crowd User

"Fast quotes from interested parties"

What do you like best?

Using Thumbtack brought services to me instead of the other way round, it was great! I only had to make my pitch once, instead of endless calls and wasted time.

What do you dislike?

I haven't noticed any negatives, it's been fast and easy to use

Thumbtack review by Jodi B.
Jodi B.

"Great functionality, small database"

What do you like best?

Great search functions, is well designed UX.

What do you dislike?

Still building their database of service providers. I found a handful of providers who met my criteria, but unfortunately they all flaked out and I wasn't able to hire anyone.

Thumbtack review by G2 Crowd User in Computer Software
G2 Crowd User in Computer Software

"Great Service for Anything!"

What do you like best?

Friendly service and got the job done as discussed.

What do you dislike?

The whiteboard installer took way too long and got distracted too much. He also kept distracting our employees. However, I understand that is not Thumbtack's fault. I did leave feedback for the contractor.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to look at all reviews and ask questions. This service is great for anyone, especially smaller companies who typically do not have specialized roles for random or difficult tasks.

Thumbtack review by Jillian W.
Jillian W.

"Thumbtack for Business"

What do you like best?

I like the accessibility piece and being able to use the internet quick and easy.

What do you dislike?

I find sometimes the top rated ones are not always the best and I wish their were more reviews.

G2 Crowd User

"The Service We All Need"

What do you like best?

The customer reviews are what I like most about this service. It helps me feel like I am getting the full understanding of the service/person we will hire. That way there is not hesitancy on our part about whether it will fulfill our expectations.

What do you dislike?

At times you can tell some of the reviews are "padded." I wish there was more effort to get rid of these and have authentic client reviews only.

Thumbtack review by Anthony b.
Anthony b.

"Great Service"

What do you like best?

Very easy templates. Thumbtack now offers an automatic reply message. You can take as many jobs as you need or can handle.

What do you dislike?

The reviews feature. I wish it would ask customers automatically.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Fill out your profile completely. Answer requests and follow up on quotes.

Thumbtack review by Celia C.
Celia C.

"Great deal on leads"

What do you like best?

The lead fees are reasonable and you are only charged if the customer accepts you estimate.

What do you dislike?

Some people approve your quote and back out

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great place to get more customers at a low rate

Thumbtack review by G2 Crowd User in Law Enforcement
G2 Crowd User in Law Enforcement

"Easy to use so far"

What do you like best?

It's really easy to use on the app. I don't have to pay for a subscription, I can simply pay for bids as I go.

What do you dislike?

I don't like having to buy credits to use for bids. It would be much easier to simply pay a fee per bid instead of having to buy the credits first.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Not the end all to your business needs but an asset to help build your clientele.

Thumbtack review by G2 Crowd User in Warehousing
G2 Crowd User in Warehousing

"Thumbtack is very easy to use"

What do you like best?

All the variety of options I have when picking a person to do the job.

What do you dislike?

Too many emails on a daily basis. They should consider maybe sending just once a week or twice a week. I was receiving email on a daily.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the time to look and read about all the options and information Thumbtack send by email.

Thumbtack review by Joshua A.
Joshua A.

"Decent and easy"

What do you like best?

Really easy to use and the service you get is phenomenal

What do you dislike?

I did not dislike anything it worked very well.

Thumbtack review by G2 Crowd User in Photography
G2 Crowd User in Photography

"great page"

What do you like best?

the web design is cool I like it and is simple

What do you dislike?

i had never ever get a quote for my work and I don't want to pay for being hired

Recommendations to others considering the product

they need to change the way that they offer they service, maybe they can keep a portent of o contract and you don't have to pay for coins to find a job

Thumbtack review by Reihanan Anderson P.
Reihanan Anderson P.

"Love it"

What do you like best?

It had all the social media outlets to use

What do you dislike?

Nothing at all it was all great. Perfect

G2 Crowd User

"Great idea, poor execution"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, ability to connect with clients in any location set for all services offered.

What do you dislike?

The system doesn't stay in the geographic location set and show leads well outside of my service area.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be wise in what projects you bid on or you will waste a lot of money

"Functional but costly"

What do you like best?

It creates an online presence and makes us more findable by potential clients.

What do you dislike?

They charge us if students reply to our message. If we don't get the student then we can lose money and the student.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Spend time building your template emails to save time in the long run.

Thumbtack review by G2 Crowd User in Higher Education
G2 Crowd User in Higher Education

"Good user experience "

What do you like best?

Easy to work with. It has a great user interface that is simple to understand

What do you dislike?

Hard to use when you have specific skills that are not posted or easy to share.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the time to download and explore the app and it's services it is very much one of the best out there

Thumbtack review by G2 Crowd User in Health, Wellness and Fitness
G2 Crowd User in Health, Wellness and Fitness

"Not a reliable Source"

What do you like best?

I like that there are many options to chose from and several different jobs to either apply for or hire for.

What do you dislike?

Thumbtack does not hold the offenders accountable for not showing up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

make sure you read the reviews of the company or person you choose to hire

Thumbtack review by G2 Crowd User in Hospital & Health Care
G2 Crowd User in Hospital & Health Care

"great system"

What do you like best?

I really enjoy this program. I love that you are able to get quotes, set up appointments, chat, everything in one when looking for a vendor or service.

What do you dislike?

Nothing that comes to mind at this time.

Thumbtack review by G2 Crowd User in Marketing and Advertising
G2 Crowd User in Marketing and Advertising

"Thumbtack has been my #1 resource to renovating my house!"

What do you like best?

The expedient competitive bidding process.

What do you dislike?

The only thing would be having to use cash sometimes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want competitive rates, high quality of service and fast responses for any jobs you need to have done, then Thumbtack is your solution.

Thumbtack review by G2 Crowd User in Executive Office
G2 Crowd User in Executive Office

"Thumbtack review"

What do you like best?

The ease of finding talent and the accessibility of customer service for support questions.

What do you dislike?

The web page design could use some improvement.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If short-term skilled employees are needed for a particular project I would recommend this product.

Thumbtack review by G2 Crowd User in Financial Services
G2 Crowd User in Financial Services

"Great for outsourcing one-off projects"

What do you like best?

Ability to view past reviews from others who utilized their services; easy, streamlined way to retrieve multiple bids for a single project

What do you dislike?

I haven't found anything I dislike, as of yet

Thumbtack review by G2 Crowd User in Real Estate
G2 Crowd User in Real Estate

"Easy lead generation tool"

What do you like best?

Provides me the option to send quotes for business that I want, and pass on business that I'm not interested in.

What do you dislike?

No CRM integration, and very little data capture (name, phone, email, etc.)

Thumbtack review by G2 Crowd User in Human Resources
G2 Crowd User in Human Resources

"Overpriced for low quality clients"

What do you like best?

People wanting your services are brought to you instead of you having to go searching for them

What do you dislike?

The cost isn't worth the chances the client will hire you

Thumbtack review by G2 Crowd User in Information Technology and Services
G2 Crowd User in Information Technology and Services

"Easy and quick freelance/gig sourcing"

What do you like best?

Thumbtack is easy to use and quick. Responses are usually very tailored to your initial project description.

What do you dislike?

It's crowd-based so you don't get access to everything.

Thumbtack review by G2 Crowd User in Computer Software
G2 Crowd User in Computer Software

"Great for Landlords"

What do you like best?

I love how it bids out to multiple contractors with reviews!

What do you dislike?

There should be a way to screen based on "preferred" vendors.

Thumbtack review by G2 Crowd User in Facilities Services
G2 Crowd User in Facilities Services

"Not what it used to be"

What do you like best?

It gets you in front of potential customers

What do you dislike?

I dislike the prices and the new structure of receiving requests and bidding on them.

Thumbtack review by G2 Crowd User in Public Relations and Communications
G2 Crowd User in Public Relations and Communications

"Good Service"

What do you like best?

Easy to make connections with people on the site

What do you dislike?

I couldn’t tell if the professionals had been screened

Learning about Thumbtack?

* We monitor all Thumbtack reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.

Compare Thumbtack to Similar Solutions