Thumbtack

Thumbtack is an online service that helps people find handymen, housekeepers, tutors, photographers, wedding planners, and others for temporary employment.

Work for Thumbtack?

Learning about Thumbtack?

Thumbtack Reviews

Ask Thumbtack a Question
Showing 20 Thumbtack reviews
Thumbtack review by <span ue="safe-name" data-safe-name-id="1fe28ecf-7fe3-46f1-b843-82c15d33e69c">Liz W.</span>
Liz W.
" itemprop="name" />

"Thumbtack - Could Be Better"

What do you like best?

I like that my business has a presence on a platform that is used by thousands of people every day. People who are looking for a photographer within my geographic region can find me on Thumbtack. I was hopeful this would help drive more traffic to my business.

What do you dislike?

While Thumbtack did generate leads, it rarely led to landing a job. In my experience, most customers are shopping around for the cheapest service. Also, Thumbtack has become too expensive to maintain. It used to be setup so that I would purchase a certain number of credits (as many or as few as I like) and use those credits to send quotes to customers with needs that I deemed a good fit. Thumbtack has since restructured their system. Now, they automatically send quotes to customers on my behalf (which I pay for), and I am also charged when a customer responds to my quote. One big problem here is that sometimes, a customer will respond to a quote with regrets (like, "thanks, but I'm going a different route"), and I get charged for that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to use Thumbtack to obtain more customers, you will need to monitor your account closely, responds to leads immediately (you are competing with many other professionals), and be ready to pay for leads that don't go anywhere.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Thumbtack
Thumbtack review by Julie B.
Julie B.

"Brings in quality customers"

What do you like best?

I love that all my instructors can use Thumbtack to Self market their lessons. It also helps those who are interested to read more about the instructors at my music school. Plus it gives the instructors a chance to get to know and communicate with those potential students about what they have to offer

What do you dislike?

I don’t have too many negative things to say except that on the occasion when a professional has to give a quote to the customer the cost can be a little pricey and that’s just giving the quote that’s not guaranteeing that you will sign up that customer. Therefore, you might lose a lot of money but they offer a lot of free opportunities to give quotes to just as many Customers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly I commend using Thumbtack out of 25 students that I’ve personally teach half of them came thumbtack. That’s not including the ones up top in the past I would say total 70% of my clientele comes from Thumbtack

What On-Demand Staffing solution do you use?

Thumbtack review by Jeffrey Lee N.
Jeffrey Lee N.

"Loving Thumbtack!"

What do you like best?

The thing I like best about using Ttack is that its "Easy"! Such a simple but very powerful tool in the Services / Client World!

What do you dislike?

"Credits"...over 2rs ago, buy Ttack Credits to get in touch with a potential client was very reasonable...but over time, it "truly" is getting expensive, especially since there are 4 Other Pro's also trying to get that same opportunity, and even if you don't "win", if that potential client just sent you a message "inquiring" about your services, keep in mind you "did not win" the bid...you still get Fully Charged the Ttack Credits, which now are around an average of $1.67/credit! And most quotes end up costing an average of 15 Credits (...I'll let you do the math for something you might not win!)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go For It! If you are a Professional, or just "looking" for a Pro and need some type of service...sign up for a Free Account and Make It Happen! You will thank me later for sure!

Thumbtack review by Monica R.
Monica R.

"The Best Online Referral Service I've Tried"

What do you like best?

I forgot to tell you the reasons I am with Thumbtack and it has everything to do with control and risk management.

1. Thumbtack lets me choose which requests I respond to. If I don’t like the look, sound, description or location of a request, I simply hit “Pass” and there is no penalty or cost to me. Let’s say I’m slammed with work or I’m on vacation. I can literally pass on every quote without any repercussion. I LOVE THAT.

2. Thumbtack lets me get VERY specific on the kind of jobs I want to quote. For example, if I don’t want a certain type of work anymore, and I only want to hear from people who are looking for X, Y, OR Z, I can do that on Thumbtack. I LOVE THAT.

3. Typically, the cost to quote a project is low — between $6 and $9 in the form of “credits” that I pre-purchase. When you receive a request, they tell you up front how many “credits” it costs you to send a quote. If it’s more credits than I want to spend, I can just hit “pass.” I LOVE THAT.

4. If a prospect fails to review my quote within 48 hours, the credits I paid to send the quote are refunded. If that same prospect comes back and reviews my quote AFTER 48 hours, as a courtesy to me, Thumbtack doesn’t re-charge me the fee. I LOVE THAT.

Right now, there's really no down side to this model. It puts me in control of what I spend and who I send quotes to. I thought you’d like to know those things.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that when I reload my credits through Google, I get a really expensive surcharge.

Thumbtack review by Mckenzie S.
Mckenzie S.

"Difficult (i.e. expensive) to actually get jobs"

What do you like best?

Its nice to be able to reach out to people looking for services rather than advertising yourself elsewhere. It seems safer than something like Craigslist.

What do you dislike?

Its expensive to quote someone, especially when there's no guarantee the potential client will even communicate with you. It COULD be great for people just starting out but it's certainly too costly. It would make a lot more sense to charge someone WHEN they get the job rather than charge them just to speak to someone.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have the money, I guess try it out but if you're just starting your business don't pay for a service like this.

Thumbtack review by Elizabeth S.
Elizabeth S.

"Thumbtack - A reliable service connector!"

What do you like best?

The fact that a user can see so many reviews from other members. I️ have only had very positive experiences using Thumbtack!

What do you dislike?

I️ do not like that the site follows up about using someone through their site at such a high frequency.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This group presents unbiased options for any service imaginable.

Thumbtack review by Chris S.
Chris S.

"A bit hard to use in my industry"

What do you like best?

Allowed me to put my name out there for an inexpensive amount and get leads for free

What do you dislike?

Lack of information most prospective clients provided for me to give them an accurate quote

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure it works for your industry or profession

Thumbtack review by G2 Crowd User
G2 Crowd User

"Best for businesses with low prices"

What do you like best?

I like that they were able to get us customers. I think they are a great tool for people starting out in an industry with low prices and people who don't yet have a website or any leads yet.

What do you dislike?

I think most of the people on Thumbtack are price shopping and typically aren't serious about buying. So spending time sending individual quotes to people who most likely will ignore them isn't sustainable in the long run. Overall, using other methods like SEO and Adwords have been more profitable for our business (and aren't as time-consuming.

Thumbtack review by Anthony b.
Anthony b.

"Great Service"

What do you like best?

Very easy templates. Thumbtack now offers an automatic reply message. You can take as many jobs as you need or can handle.

What do you dislike?

The reviews feature. I wish it would ask customers automatically.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Fill out your profile completely. Answer requests and follow up on quotes.

Thumbtack review by Celia C.
Celia C.

"Great deal on leads"

What do you like best?

The lead fees are reasonable and you are only charged if the customer accepts you estimate.

What do you dislike?

Some people approve your quote and back out

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great place to get more customers at a low rate

Thumbtack review by G2 Crowd User in Law Enforcement
G2 Crowd User in Law Enforcement

"Easy to use so far"

What do you like best?

It's really easy to use on the app. I don't have to pay for a subscription, I can simply pay for bids as I go.

What do you dislike?

I don't like having to buy credits to use for bids. It would be much easier to simply pay a fee per bid instead of having to buy the credits first.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Not the end all to your business needs but an asset to help build your clientele.

Thumbtack review by G2 Crowd User in Photography
G2 Crowd User in Photography

"great page"

What do you like best?

the web design is cool I like it and is simple

What do you dislike?

i had never ever get a quote for my work and I don't want to pay for being hired

Recommendations to others considering the product

they need to change the way that they offer they service, maybe they can keep a portent of o contract and you don't have to pay for coins to find a job

Thumbtack review by G2 Crowd User in Higher Education
G2 Crowd User in Higher Education

"Good user experience "

What do you like best?

Easy to work with. It has a great user interface that is simple to understand

What do you dislike?

Hard to use when you have specific skills that are not posted or easy to share.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the time to download and explore the app and it's services it is very much one of the best out there

Thumbtack review by G2 Crowd User in Health, Wellness and Fitness
G2 Crowd User in Health, Wellness and Fitness

"Not a reliable Source"

What do you like best?

I like that there are many options to chose from and several different jobs to either apply for or hire for.

What do you dislike?

Thumbtack does not hold the offenders accountable for not showing up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

make sure you read the reviews of the company or person you choose to hire

Thumbtack review by G2 Crowd User in Marketing and Advertising
G2 Crowd User in Marketing and Advertising

"Thumbtack has been my #1 resource to renovating my house!"

What do you like best?

The expedient competitive bidding process.

What do you dislike?

The only thing would be having to use cash sometimes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want competitive rates, high quality of service and fast responses for any jobs you need to have done, then Thumbtack is your solution.

Thumbtack review by G2 Crowd User in Executive Office
G2 Crowd User in Executive Office

"Thumbtack review"

What do you like best?

The ease of finding talent and the accessibility of customer service for support questions.

What do you dislike?

The web page design could use some improvement.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If short-term skilled employees are needed for a particular project I would recommend this product.

Thumbtack review by G2 Crowd User in Real Estate
G2 Crowd User in Real Estate

"Easy lead generation tool"

What do you like best?

Provides me the option to send quotes for business that I want, and pass on business that I'm not interested in.

What do you dislike?

No CRM integration, and very little data capture (name, phone, email, etc.)

Thumbtack review by G2 Crowd User in Human Resources
G2 Crowd User in Human Resources

"Overpriced for low quality clients"

What do you like best?

People wanting your services are brought to you instead of you having to go searching for them

What do you dislike?

The cost isn't worth the chances the client will hire you

Thumbtack review by G2 Crowd User in Information Technology and Services
G2 Crowd User in Information Technology and Services

"Easy and quick freelance/gig sourcing"

What do you like best?

Thumbtack is easy to use and quick. Responses are usually very tailored to your initial project description.

What do you dislike?

It's crowd-based so you don't get access to everything.

Thumbtack review by G2 Crowd User in Facilities Services
G2 Crowd User in Facilities Services

"Not what it used to be"

What do you like best?

It gets you in front of potential customers

What do you dislike?

I dislike the prices and the new structure of receiving requests and bidding on them.

Learning about Thumbtack?

* We monitor all Thumbtack reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.