Thycotic Secret Server

Thycotic Secret Server assures the protection of privileged accounts while being the fastest to deploy, easiest to use, scalable enterprise-class solution offered at a competitive price.

Work for Thycotic Secret Server?

Learning about Thycotic?

Thycotic Secret Server Reviews

Ask Thycotic a Question
Showing 17 Thycotic reviews
Thycotic review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Great solution if you want to keep your password vaults on-premise."

What do you like best?

I really like that you can completely host a copy of the software internally so you don't have to worry about exposing your passwords to the Internet. We have a self-hosted edition of Thycotic Secret Server (TSS for short) that supports multiple teams and thousands of passwords. It works really well for that scenario and we don't have to worry about our vault being compromised by outside forces.

What do you dislike?

TSS has a Chrome plugin that populates passwords for you, but in order for it to work, you have to be logged into TSS. I would really like it if it worked more like LastPass and cached your passwords for a set number of days and populated them from your Chrome cache. It's annoying to have to log back in every time you want to populate a password (if you haven't done so in more than 15 minutes).

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a solid solution, however, I would say please try before you buy. Thycotic gives a very generous free version of this product that would work really well for small teams. Try it out and see if you like it before you make an investment. It's not a perfect solution, but it does a decent job.

This solves for a problem of not wanting to expose our passwords to the Internet. We have a lot of sensitive stuff in our organization and some of our passwords could be better. This lets us securely store them and limits our attack exposure while providing a good solution to our end users and staff.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Thycotic Secret Server
Thycotic review by User in Computer Software

"Useful password keeping tool"

What do you like best?

I think the interface is easy to navigate. Once you get a handle on how to run through the process, the same applies to everything. And the folder structure is similar to what we use currently, so it helps visually with the transition.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the color scheme. I know that's a silly thing, but it feels very old school and a little distracting. It's why I needed help to learn the process. I also don't like all the chrome extensions you need.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would just find instructions or someone at your company who knows how to use it to give a quick overview of the templates. Be aware you need chrome extensions for a lot of the shortcuts.

We are giving departments a space to store passwords meant only for team members. This way other teams can't log into our accounts.

What Password Manager solution do you use?

Thycotic review by Bruno M.
Bruno M.

"Old interface, but very safe and reliable"

What do you like best?

This is a great application for your passwords. Offers several templates (i.e. bank account, combination lock, contact, credit card, healthcare, simple passwords, product license keys, remote desktop account, social security number, etc.) and you can do your own, which is great.

It does offer to generate safe passwords. It is very reliable, you can access to your information from anywhere, has main, double step password recovery and you pay for it ONCE.

I have been using it for more than five years now, no need to have another one.

What do you dislike?

Old, not updated interface. No possibility to add pics, photos nor images of credit cards, etcetera.

Difficult to personalize templates, but it is totally doable.

App and online Password generator does not offers option to select letters only, numbers, signs, or length.

App Does not integrate websites nor other apps.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're not into nice graphic content, it is not for you. Big drawback: no integration with other apps or websites But it has everything you need for reliability, security and accessibility.

Business problems: have my passwords, accesses, numbers, etc., in one place and accessible from everywhere. As a physician I am always in the go and this app has been great at that.

Benefits: One payment. One app, one main password to be accessed from anyywhere

Thycotic review by Patrick B.
Patrick B.

"We use Secret Server to manage thousands of passwords and logins"

What do you like best?

Granular control of permissions and robust search tool

What do you dislike?

Adding folders can get to be a pain, it's very easy to create a folder in the wrong directory. It remembers the last directory you had open, even if it was a long time ago.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have had no problems with Secret Server, it runs with bare minimum amount of resources on our server. It does what it's supposed to and does it well. I have some users that require hand holding with most of our applications and web services but not so with secret server. I will say, it doesn't seem to work in the Firefox browser but that's no problem if you also have Chrome installed. I wouldn't consider this as a bug but if a user accidentally enters a space in the search filter, secret server will not show any results that don't start with a space. Also, secret server offers a feature which will automatically generate a random password which is nice, but if it generates a certain combination, which if I remember correctly is a combination of %$ next to each other it will error out when you try to save the password.

We manage accounts for 100's of clients. Each one of those accounts has a dozen logins. As you might imagine the number of passwords can get out of hand. Couple that with security and permissions concerns and Secret Server starts looking pretty good.

Thycotic review by Cody H.
Cody H.

"Immense feature set, workflow customization, best return on investment for all PAM products"

What do you like best?

This product has made leaps and bounce over the past few years from version 7 until now. I used to work for CyberArk, this product has the advantage of usability, and customization options. The installation procedure along with stellar documentation makes deployment a breeze. Installation checklists, security best practices, and a vast repository of KB articles.

What do you dislike?

Off the top of my head, I honestly can't think of anything.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the documentation and ask questions! Chances are there's another customer which has accomplished what you are trying to do with the product.

We are using Secret Server to solve a majority of the Top 20 CIS Critical Security Controls. Following the CIA triad (Confidentiality, Integrity, Availability) infrastructure engineers within the organization can access the systems required to do their job while knowing that their identities are safe from abuse.

Thycotic review by Ryan B.
Ryan B.

"Using Thycotic Secret Server in a MSP"

What do you like best?

Secret Server is a great tool that is very customizable out of the box. It has a lot of the things I was looking for, things I needed AND things I wanted, in a password vault. Best thing about it? All the administrative capabilities.

What do you dislike?

Minor dislike for the layout - not being able to resize the "panes". Useful in certain scenarios but generally doesn't affect day to day ops.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When in doubt, contact Thycotic. They're great at what they do and the support is superb!

We use Secret Server to sell Security to our clients when we discuss credentials and security. Bringing a member of my team in on a sales call is usually enough to put the clients concerns at ease. One of their favorite parts is the reporting on access against a folder that they can maintain and keep for their auditors to get some real peace of mind.

I've realized how great of an idea the Distributed Engines are and maybe one day look forward to implementing them into our environment.

Thycotic review by William S.
William S.

"Securely store all our sensitive data - EASILY!"

What do you like best?

Love the ability to save all my passwords and "secrets" in one place that my whole team can access from anywhere. The built-in templates make it easy to enter the data and keep everything in a uniform look by having these pre-configured templates. Easily integrates with active directory and searching for data once entered is spot on.

What do you dislike?

I can't say I found anything I dislike. The interface is simple to use and our needs are not complex, so honestly I can't find anything to not like.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try, They have a trial of the software before you buy and anyone who is looking for software like this will not be disappointed.

We needed a place to store all online passwords, server passwords, passwords to physical safes, contact list, vendor list, etc. The list goes on and on. We use this as a one stop shop for the IT dept to find anything easily without asking someone to dig through their email, files, etc for important info. It is a real time saver, especially for exec management who can look up things without coming to us first.

Thycotic review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Thycotic Secret Server Professional - Backed By An Awesome Support Team!"

What do you like best?

Most enterprise organizations utilize password management software like Thycotic's Secret Server solution, but for the administrator -- is that product backed by awesome support? That is where where I have found the implementation and administration of this product to be most less of a burden, knowing that I have their technical support staff behind me 100 percent. They are very responsive and willing to go the extra mile in helping you out (big thanks to Brandon D. and Matthew B.).

What do you dislike?

If you have little systems administration experience, are completely new to the product, and are running a special hardened Windows 2012 server image whereby you cannot run the automated installer, a manual installation can be a little tedious and you may come across various configuration nuances. However, they have excellent installation and configuration documentation as well as a pretty thorough knowledge base for various troubleshooting scenarios.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great support and always coming out with new features!

Our organization primarily utilizes this solution for standard password management storage and remote password configuration for our local and customer environments. The interface is very easy to read and use. There is lots of flexibility in its configuration for the overall administration of the product for what we use it for.

Thycotic review by Michael S.
Michael S.

"Very convenient extra layer of security"

What do you like best?

I like the extra level of security and the convenience of all your passwords in one location. I also like that it is compatible with DUO mobile for dual authentication. Lastly i like that it was very easy to import from our old password storage software (Keepass and Excel).

What do you dislike?

i dislike that currently the Android mobile app does not work on our on-prem environment. We are currently working to resolve this. It is accessible through a mobile web browser just fine though.

We are solving our need for secure local password storage. Thycotic is also helping up meet security standards by enabling an automated system to change administrator passwords on our domain.

Thycotic review by User in Higher Education

"Great Tool to Provide Centralized Credential Management!"

What do you like best?

I began using Thycotic as a replacement to my team's internal KeePass database. The tool itself has a wealth of functionality, including the ability to automatically change passwords, pass credentials through to Remote Desktop, the ability to set extremely gradual permissions on 'secrets,' and the ability to require a second form of 'approval' before a user is able to access the secret.. What's perhaps even better is the fact that basically all actions are logged, so I can keep track of exactly who has accessed usernames and passwords for our applications.

What do you dislike?

There are a few points that detract from the overall experience, however, these are fairly minor.

First and foremost, from a user interface standpoint is, quite frankly, ugly (in my opinion). This could be the theme our IT staff chose to implement, or it may simply 'be the way the app is.' Regardless though, the interface is somewhat cumbersome and cluttered, and reminds me of a time when web applications were just beginning to embrace responsive design, etc.

Additionally, our implementation requires the use of two factor authentication. From a security standpoint, this is spectacular. From an practicality standpoint, I find it frustrating that if I successfully authenticate with my username and password, and then get my 2 factor authentication code incorrect, I am taken back to the main login screen, where I need to re-enter my username and password all over again.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Begin by identifying what problems your organization is attempting to solve (ex. centralization of passwords, logging of the use of account passswords, ensuring that accounts are reset on a regular basis), to ensure that Thycotic will meet your needs. More than likely, the question will come down to what particular edition of the Thycotic application is necessary for your own organization. Also, try out the Thycotic Secret Server before you buy -- Thycotic offers free trials, and they also offer a (feature limited) free version as well.

By using Thycotic (from my perspective as an IT user), we have:

-Centralized all of our account credentials and other 'secrets'

-Eliminated the need for users and teams to maintain and manage their own individual password safes/password management tools

-Provided better visibility into what accounts/secrets are being used, and when

-Provided a more automated mechanism to ensure that critical account passwords are rotated automatically

Thycotic review by Administrator in Banking
Administrator in Banking

"Excellent application - it delivers"

What do you like best?

Ease of use and ease of implementation - rollout to IT personnel was very simple and we are now planning to rollout to executive management.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, I can’t think of anything I dislike about the application. It integrates with our Active Directory configuration and does not require a specific browser to operate

Recommendations to others considering the product

Of course, I would recommend evaluating it in your environment to see if it fits your specific needs - it was a great fit for us.

In the past, we used a mix of applications (Excel, Word, etc) to keep track of passwords - Secret Server provides a clean interface for accessing credentials.

Thycotic review by Josh S.
Josh S.

"Amazing and feature which way to store and retrieve credentials in an enterprise setting"

What do you like best?

Im an automation/scripting person and tend to automate as many things as I can in the organizations I work in. The hard part is authenticating with remote services/applications and using credentials in a secure way.

Not only does secret server give you a secure method of storing credentials and monitoring credential usage, but with the API integration you can retrieve credentials that you have permission to and use them in whatever project you're working on (PowerShell scripts, .net web apps, etc.).

This allowed me to open up a whole new realm of things to automate which previously I was unable to accomplish securely.

What do you dislike?

I wish I could get the API integration with a lower license.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give the express version a try and then quickly get a fully featured trial to get the real benefits of the product.

We are now able to securely automate tasks which require tasks which require separate accounts, securely store credentials to service accounts and applications, monitor advanced elevated credential usage, and more.

Thycotic review by Katelyn E.
Katelyn E.

"Great product, works well"

What do you like best?

The best part about secret server is that it is easy to manage. The GUI interface makes working with the application easy and keeps the functionality high.

What do you dislike?

I believe it could improve in the reporting portion of the software. There are some reports I would like to see added in the future that would be beneficial.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Secret Server is a great password management tool for an enterprise environment. It has plenty of functions and features that would help improve workplace security.

Password Management

Thycotic review by User in Primary/Secondary Education
User in Primary/Secondary Education

"Great place for important passwords"

What do you like best?

I can locate any local admin credentials I need in one convenient place.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that search terms have to be very specific to locate what I need.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend making your accounts name a little easier to search for by omitting symbols such as dashes or colons.

With TSS we have been able to set up a secure location that stores all of our important logins that is safe and incredibly accessible for all staff.

Thycotic review by Marian S.
Marian S.

"Best solution for PAM"

What do you like best?

The installation process and the configuration is very fast and easy. You can define in a really short time your infrastructure and begin to protect your privileged accounts.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, there is nothing to complain. The documentation is realy good, so you can administer all the features without special know-how.

We are a distributor, but we use this solution for our internal lab-enviroment, too. It is very easy to give new employees access to the machines he need to administer and generate strong passwords for this.

Thycotic review by Brock P.
Brock P.

"Secret Server is essential as a Systems Administrator."

What do you like best?

Love that I can store multiple logins and passwords for all websites/services/products.

What do you dislike?

Could use a refresh of the interface. Been the same for a while, could be faster to navigate.

It allows the whole team to store critical information in one central, secure place.

Thycotic review by Jarin M.
Jarin M.

"Hello, Secret Server."

What do you like best?

I like the ability to escrow passwords and other shared private info, safely and securely, and set specific security access levels.

What do you dislike?

It's not the prettiest interface, that's about it.

We're solving storing information in a centralized location - where I can access what's needed on an as needed basis - and make sure the rest of my team can also do the same.

Learning about Thycotic Secret Server?

* We monitor all Thycotic Secret Server reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.