TIBCO Spotfire

Self-service data discovery. Fastest to actionable insight. Collaborative, predictive, event-driven data analysis - free from IT.

Work for TIBCO Spotfire?
Sisense vs 3  2x

Learning about TIBCO Spotfire?

TIBCO Spotfire Reviews

Ask TIBCO Spotfire a Question
Showing 39 TIBCO Spotfire reviews
TIBCO Spotfire review by <span>Patrick J. R.</span>
Patrick J. R.
Validated Review
What do you like best?

TIBCO Spotfire does a great job helping its users build advanced visualizations with little to no programming involved. It offers a large variety of visualizations and does a good job of letting its users tweak the visualizations to their specific needs. It also offers powerful data transformation tools that improve the usefulness of a user's data without having to modify the source data.

What do you dislike?

It's very strength can sometimes be a weakness. Although it is easy to develop visualizations with this platform, it is often difficult to customize when needed. This is symptomatic of all such dashboarding applications, though.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Seek out independent tutorials on the product. The Spotfire forum can be useful but it can be difficult to find what you are looking for.

We used TIBCO Spotfire to develop dashboards for audit-related projects. We also used the product to perform exploratory data analyses on a variety of internal investigations in connection with malicious insider activities.

0 of 0 found this helpful.
Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about TIBCO Spotfire
TIBCO Spotfire review by User in Pharmaceuticals
User in Pharmaceuticals

Great Analytics tool!

Validated Review
What do you like best?

This tool is great for analyzing data coming from one or multiple systems to measure the success of your organization's processes and find opportunities for improvement.

What do you dislike?

The interface could use a little bit of a 'fresher' look.

My business uses TIBCO Spotfire to gather data from our systems, measure the health of our organization against predefined metrics, and making decisions to take action where there are areas for us to improve. Before using Spotfire, we had individuals across several functional areas run metrics manually using Excel on a monthly basis. These individuals often did this in addition to their expected job responsibilities. We now have the ability with Spotfire to view our data consistently -- spending less time analyzing the data and spending more time taking a look and what the data is telling us.

0 of 0 found this helpful.

What Business Intelligence Platforms solution do you use?

TIBCO Spotfire review by <span>Jonathan E.</span>
Jonathan E.

Desktop Orientated

Validated Review
What do you like best?

Quick to process data and update it, brilliant at automatically creating filters for all the columns in your dataset.

Mapping in the product is fantastic, best in the market

What do you dislike?

Not an application builder, insanely hard to create a layout that is appealing or to create user controls - possible with some python but far too hard to create say a button to change the data plotted on an axis etc - not designed to create end user applications - the web player for example takes precisely whats on your desktop and places it in a web page - no ability to use additional Realestate etc

Recommendations to others considering the product

Determine if you require an application builder (building a product others will consume, say through a web browser) or a desktop tool to explore data. If the former stay away unless you are a python guru, even then be cautious. If the latter go for it if you can't afford Tablou

Creating dashboards for people to get uptodate information on the oil market, saving people time as they do not need to create and maintain their own visuals

TIBCO Spotfire review by <span>Juan Ignacio Z.</span>
Juan Ignacio Z.

Useful tool

Validated Review
What do you like best?

It is an excelent tool. I used is as a complement of excel. It has very nice and complete chart options and alouds the user to run complex pivot tables of long and heavy data tables. I work a lot with pivots and excel crashes if you use pivots of more than 70 columns and 250 mb.

The web option es also great. You can send the attendees of a meeging a link with the report and they access to a "read-only " version of the report. It is not necesarry to attach a file to an email, with the link itself is enough.

What do you dislike?

it is very difficult to write and understand the spotfire coding. If you want to add calculated columns you have to set new coding of dependencies between existing columns and the available codes are not the same as excel. It takes some time to upload heavy data bases (40 min for 250 mb).

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think it is very important to pay for the "TIBCO" servers to work using an stablished library. Excel has the same functionalities but Spotfire is better in graphical options and it does not crash with pivots of heavy and long data bases

From my opinion, I have solved the issue of running pivot tables of heavy (more than 200 mg) data bases. It is also important to mention that is not necesary to attach the report files, you can just add the web link and with a user and password they can see (read only) a web version of the same report.

TIBCO Spotfire review by <span>Patricio S.</span>
Patricio S.

Very useful

Validated Review
What do you like best?

I really enjoy using this tool. I can easily put in graphics all the information I gather with Excel. This tool is very easy to setup and use. I consider that Spotfire is one of the best analytics software. My organization had the Spotfire platform service. There is also other option that is Spotfire Cloud. Don't know how that one works, but looks like another good option.

Other item that is very valuable is the processing time it takes to generate the report considering the amount of data. Maybe if I run a macro in excel with the multiple files the PC could collapse or crash, but with Spotfire the server makes it really fast.

What do you dislike?

I do not like that this tool has to use local users to connect to the server to check the reports. I would prefer other authentication method. That is the only item I can consider as "room for improvement".

Other topic that could be considered for improvement is the way it codes the queries that it runs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please consider that the tool uses local users.

Risk Management Reporting. I can consolidate information from multiple sources very fast. I use it to show Risk Management KPIs and indicators and to monitor weekly the health of the Organization's risks. I usually lead a weekly presentation where we share the spotfire report and after any amber or red numbers are shown, I just double click over the number and it takes me to the data in other sheet.

TIBCO Spotfire review by <span>Katie K.</span>
Katie K.

TIBCO Spotfire Product Review

Validated Review
What do you like best?

My company relies heavily on data analytics to provide our clients with comprehensive evaluations of their financial performance. In the past, we were restricted to using canned report templates built from our workdriver software or any existing software reporting our clients may have already had. However, once implementing Spotfire analytics into our workdriver tool, my team has been able to pull large amounts of financial data and present it in a plethora of beneficial ways for our clients. Spotfire analytics offers a user-friendly platform for analyzing, presenting, and researching hundreds of thousands of client accounts in mere seconds, and provides data visuals that are easy-to-read and meaningful for our client to better manage their organization's revenue and costs. My favorite feature is the sheer amount of data this software can handle - Spotfire can load and calculate a year's worth of my client's patient records (on average, 900,000 records) without a problem. Any other tools I've used (e.g., Microsoft Excel, Access) would instantly freeze or shut down when trying to process that much data.

What do you dislike?

Calculating custom fields in Spotfire is definitely not as intuitive as it is in more common programs, such as Microsoft Excel. Often times my team and I need to manually calculate the data in our Spotfire tool and writing expressions in Spotfire in order to plug those formulas is much harder than typical formula-writing. Spotfire uses a different set of indicators for it's formula language that is more in line with SQL writing, which can be difficult for beginners or those not familiar with coding. Additionally, Spotfire data sheets require each column of data to be categorized into a certain "type" of data so that the program can read the field values correctly and thus, calculate them correctly when needed. For example, a number field value must be listed as an "integer" data type, an alpha field value must be listed as a "string" data type, etc. The tool will initially "guess" what type of data each column has in it, but it is up to the user to manually change any that are not categorized correctly. If you do not change them, they may not calculate correctly in any of the subsequent analyses you do with that data in the tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend familiarizing yourself with case writing before you dive into this tool. When you understand the nuances of Spotfire's formulaic language, the data testing benefits of this tool are endless. You can customize data testing templates in Spotfire and configure them to automatically update every time you feed a new data file into it, so that you can test multiple iterations of files against the same template with ease. For example, my team built a Spotfire template to identify which departments in my client's organization were writing off revenue to the company's debt vendor (i.e., writing off money that will never get collected or paid) by setting the formulas up to identify a certain transaction code, and tie it back to which department in the organization had used that code. We were then able to load multiple files into the same template (e.g., financial reports from April, May, June) and analyze which departments wrote off the most debt for each month. We immediately saw a trend for a specific department, identified that risk, and were able to help our client save hundred of thousands of dollars by preventing those write-offs in the future.

Our primary focus is to identify financial risks across my clients' organizations and use data analytics to troubleshoot process inefficiencies and realize benefit through improved revenue streams. As a result, my team must look at historical data records from huge, multi-facility organizations, which is often difficult given that these databases can easily exceed one million records. Spotfire analytics has changed the game for my team and my clients. It allows quick, comprehensive analyses of massive amounts of data, and as a result allows our team to solve key financial problems for our clients (e.g., "What is causing a spike in our AR days? Why has our debt population increased over the last year? What facilities/departments are bringing in the most/least revenue, and why?) much quicker. It allows my team to look at more data faster, and as a result we're able to uncover huge populations of financial risk that our client was otherwise oblivious to. We're then able to bring these numbers to light and work with our clients to implement functional/technical process improvements to prevent further financial risk.

0 of 0 found this helpful.

Learning about TIBCO Spotfire?

* We monitor all TIBCO Spotfire reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.